Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 1,826
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.

(Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
Icehalo

03-02-2012 08:11:36 | More by TimMack
beerbiatchMD

Maine

4.3/5  rDev -4.2%

12 oz bottle into a wine glass, bottle date 1/26/12. Thanks jegross2 for the bottle!

A: orangey gold with a half finger off white head that recedes, leaves good lacing.

S: first smell is citrus zest and bready yeast together. I get lots of tropical fruits and some sweet character. Hops predominate.

T: bitter sweet up front with hints of citrus, pepper, hops, finishes refreshingly bitter.

M: crisp, clean medium bodied mouthfeel with good carbonation.

O: a very good IPA, is fairly fresh but would love to try this a bit fresher. Certainly a must have. I look forward to trying it again.

03-02-2012 05:14:32 | More by beerbiatchMD
Philousa

2.95/5  rDev -34.3%

Pours a clear honey gold with little head. Pretty typical for a Triple IPA. Very Grassy, piney hops. Sweet honey kissed biscuit with an alcohol tinge at the end. Very dank. Hop resin sums up this beer in two words. That's nearly all you need to know. Sweet, chewy white bread malt turns bitter grassy, then very alcoholic bitter aftertaste. Lingers very plasticky, band-aidy in the mouth. On the syrupy side, very dry finish.

I really liked the aroma, but that phenolic plastic aftertaste really buried this one for me. I got this in a trade, so I'm really hoping this one was sitting in the sun or something because this has a lot of potential. FYI, I wouldn't normally give something I suspect to be "damaged goods" a review, but I really don't have any other means by which to review this beer. This is more for my notes so i can go back and try it fresh in Chicago one day to compare. Gotta say though, even with the plastic phenol taken away, it's pretty syrupy. After the DIPA fest, I can say I've had several beers that lack this characteristic that still fit the TIPA style. So I guess I'm saying that my below average review is still warranted in my eyes.

03-02-2012 05:03:22 | More by Philousa
Jose2412

03-02-2012 04:19:47 | More by Jose2412
akttr

03-02-2012 04:09:37 | More by akttr
Sobered

4.83/5  rDev +7.6%

For me, Stone's Ruination had been the creme de la creme for a long damn time. It was my go to sixer when I needed something that was a notch above the competition in the DIPA category.

One day I walked into my local overpriced bar (they're all overpriced here in PA) and saw something called HopSlam sitting in the cooler. I knew I had to at least try it. I'm a bit of a hop head these days and my wife absolutely hates it. She can taste ruination and think it's kinda strong on the grapefruit, which I LOVE. Her first sip of this... she gagged and dry heaved. That should tell you how hoppy and bitter it is. If you're a hop-head and after the most pungent, bitter beer imaginable, this is the one. It was simply a 100/100. There is no point in doing a 6 point breakdown on this beer.

If you love the brutal assault on your tongue that is a well crafted DIPA, this is your beer, if not, this is not your beer. At almost 21.00 a sixer in PA, there's not even room for experimentation.

If I was going to be banished to a desert island for eternity with just one thing to drink for the rest of my days, this would be my choice. So good...such a reminder of why I'm here in the first place.

03-02-2012 03:37:42 | More by Sobered

HOLYJIM

03-01-2012 18:35:30 | More by HOLYJIM
yamar68

4.23/5  rDev -5.8%

Pours a golden honey with a subtle haze that clears with some warmth. Finger of white head comes with a vigorous pour. Decent, spotty lacing. Typical west coast IIPA on the nose - big on the citrus and mango, backed up with some pine and subtle malt support, more boozy than some. Leans more towards fruit on the tongue with less herbal/pine hop presence. Fades off into some soft booze notes, and a tiny sting on the back of the palate at the very end. Mouthfeel is as expected - medium everything. Appropriate for the style. Overall it’s a good double IPA. I wouldn’t say it’s worth the hype and the price but it’s good. EDIT: Just got a sixer with a 2/10 bottle date - a month fresher than the batch I reviewed initially. Much more interesting. The honey is a bit sweeter and better incorporated. I’ll adjust my numbers somewhat, but not too much because I don’t feel that any beer should suffer that much from 4 extra weeks in the bottle. I’d probably seek this out year after year if I was guaranteed the fresh stuff.

03-01-2012 17:56:15 | More by yamar68

South Carolina

03-01-2012 07:06:17 | More by mmmIPAs
whitefire

4.4/5  rDev -2%

Huge Thanks goes out to thecheapies for providing this fine beer. Thanks Mike!

Bottled 1/10/12 and thoroughly enjoyed 2/17/12.

A: Pours a clean copper-orange color with a minimal head that fades quickly.

S: Definitely picked up plenty of hops, pine, some candied pineapple and tropical fruit. Not as floral as I expected or am used to but still a great nose.

MF: Nice Body, very light carbonation... feels so silky and smooth. The alcohol is slightly noticeable but considering that this one clocks in at 10%. I'd say they did an excellent job of balancing this one out.

O: A beer well-worth trekking for and/or seeking out. Easily one of the best in class. A treasure that I'll seek out again.

03-01-2012 06:00:33 | More by whitefire

quilty

03-01-2012 04:35:09 | More by quilty
SageO

03-01-2012 04:35:08 | More by SageO
Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.