Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 1,854
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.

(Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
alalvarez75

03-03-2012 01:59:16 | More by elevatedgreens
DrinkSlurm

Connecticut

4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured from bottle into tulip.
Pour is an orange cloudy golden, perfect lacing.
Smell is fantastic. Great tropical, citrusy fresh hop aroma, mixed with a bit of candy.
Taste is fantastic as well. The best DIPA I have ever had to date. Taste is of fresh hops, slightly citrus and tropical notes. I really taste the honey and it makes this slightly sweet. I will go out on a limb and even say I even taste a bit if vanilla. Nice booze flavors as well.
Slightly bitter feel, but that is what I expected. It actually works very well with this brew.
There is a reason for thy hype of this beer. Its one of the best DIPA's out there.

03-03-2012 00:52:15 | More by DrinkSlurm

jrenihan

Ontario (Canada)

4.45/5  rDev -0.9%

Bottled January 26, 2012

Beer is golden orange with a good-sized, solid looking white head. Lots of lacing.

Smell is certainly hop-focused. Citrus scents abound, a very juicy scent. Pineapple, mango and grapefruit. The smell makes me think of a bowl of sticky pineapple and mango, the stickiness probably coming from the honey scent that accompanies the fruit. Don't get a lot of malt scents. Very nice.

Taste is similar to the nose. Tangy, bitter tropical fruit with some sweetness provided by the honey. A bit of a pine flavour at the end, but this one is really about the citrus. Like the nose, it is pineapple that come through most strongly for me, but grapefruit is prominent as well. Aftertaste is quite bitter.

Beer is full bodied, moderate to high carbonation but not irritating. It works. A bit oily.

Overall, an excellent DIPA. Glad to finally be able to try it. Hopslam can count me in as a fan.

03-02-2012 20:42:55 | More by jrenihan
Phillyz

03-02-2012 18:40:09 | More by Phillyz
Metal4Breakfast

03-02-2012 18:27:12 | More by Metal4Breakfast
codysjb

4.63/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from a bottle into my DFH signature glass.
A: Beautiful orange with a little head and amazing retention.
S: Hops, Honey and Sweatness. Quite an awesome smell.
T: Hops and bitter up front with some malt flavoring coming in on the end. Pretty amazing.
M: Some alcohol burn but a lot of nice hop flavor throughout with some pine notes.
O: Great, good hop varieties that complement each other and the flavor really comes through. A-

2013 note - Not as hoppy as I remember. Still a really solid beer but it seems muted and its was only bottled 20 days ago. Maybe its just that my beer tastes are developing and after having Pliny and heady this doesn't seem like them.

03-02-2012 18:26:01 | More by codysjb
Kevin-H

4.48/5  rDev -0.2%

I paid $8 for a 7 ounce snifter. And then I bought two more. That is kind of unheard of. But this is pretty much the best I've had. Amazing citrus beginning combined with the perfect combo of Hops and Malt. My favorite bar is out of it and I'm disappointed I'll need to wait until next year.

03-02-2012 18:15:03 | More by Kevin-H

03-02-2012 08:11:36 | More by TimMack
beerbiatchMD

Maine

4.3/5  rDev -4.2%

12 oz bottle into a wine glass, bottle date 1/26/12. Thanks jegross2 for the bottle!

A: orangey gold with a half finger off white head that recedes, leaves good lacing.

S: first smell is citrus zest and bready yeast together. I get lots of tropical fruits and some sweet character. Hops predominate.

T: bitter sweet up front with hints of citrus, pepper, hops, finishes refreshingly bitter.

M: crisp, clean medium bodied mouthfeel with good carbonation.

O: a very good IPA, is fairly fresh but would love to try this a bit fresher. Certainly a must have. I look forward to trying it again.

03-02-2012 05:14:32 | More by beerbiatchMD
Philousa

2.95/5  rDev -34.3%

Pours a clear honey gold with little head. Pretty typical for a Triple IPA. Very Grassy, piney hops. Sweet honey kissed biscuit with an alcohol tinge at the end. Very dank. Hop resin sums up this beer in two words. That's nearly all you need to know. Sweet, chewy white bread malt turns bitter grassy, then very alcoholic bitter aftertaste. Lingers very plasticky, band-aidy in the mouth. On the syrupy side, very dry finish.

I really liked the aroma, but that phenolic plastic aftertaste really buried this one for me. I got this in a trade, so I'm really hoping this one was sitting in the sun or something because this has a lot of potential. FYI, I wouldn't normally give something I suspect to be "damaged goods" a review, but I really don't have any other means by which to review this beer. This is more for my notes so i can go back and try it fresh in Chicago one day to compare. Gotta say though, even with the plastic phenol taken away, it's pretty syrupy. After the DIPA fest, I can say I've had several beers that lack this characteristic that still fit the TIPA style. So I guess I'm saying that my below average review is still warranted in my eyes.

03-02-2012 05:03:22 | More by Philousa
Jose2412

4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

03-02-2012 04:19:47 | More by Jose2412
akttr

03-02-2012 04:09:37 | More by akttr
Sobered

4.83/5  rDev +7.6%

For me, Stone's Ruination had been the creme de la creme for a long damn time. It was my go to sixer when I needed something that was a notch above the competition in the DIPA category.

One day I walked into my local overpriced bar (they're all overpriced here in PA) and saw something called HopSlam sitting in the cooler. I knew I had to at least try it. I'm a bit of a hop head these days and my wife absolutely hates it. She can taste ruination and think it's kinda strong on the grapefruit, which I LOVE. Her first sip of this... she gagged and dry heaved. That should tell you how hoppy and bitter it is. If you're a hop-head and after the most pungent, bitter beer imaginable, this is the one. It was simply a 100/100. There is no point in doing a 6 point breakdown on this beer.

If you love the brutal assault on your tongue that is a well crafted DIPA, this is your beer, if not, this is not your beer. At almost 21.00 a sixer in PA, there's not even room for experimentation.

If I was going to be banished to a desert island for eternity with just one thing to drink for the rest of my days, this would be my choice. So good...such a reminder of why I'm here in the first place.

03-02-2012 03:37:42 | More by Sobered
cletetron

British Columbia (Canada)

03-02-2012 03:05:06 | More by cletetron
jlouwagie

4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

03-02-2012 02:28:59 | More by jlouwagie
Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.