1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 1,894
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.

(Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros

Anne, Mar 06, 2012
4.7/5  rDev +4.7%

I've had this beer on tap before and was very impressed, but I didn't take any notes to review it. I just snagged a 6-pack today that was bottled on 1/26/12 so we'll see how it goes.

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass at slightly-cooler-than-cellar temperature.

L - Pale amber color with a 2 finger white foamy head. Pretty good retention and alright lacing.

S - Definitely hoppy. Resin, grapefruit, and a little bit of pine and floral aroma. Slight sweetness of malt/honey apparent. Alcohol content definitely there but not even close to overpowering.

T - Follows the aroma for the most part. The hops are there, grapefruit and resin, maybe a pineapple taste, too. Definitely some honey flavor. Alcohol is not really noticeable at all, a miracle for 10% ABV. This actually tastes more sweet than bitter to me, something that I was surprised about, but brewing with honey might do that. Don't get me wrong, the bitterness is still there, though.

F - Medium body, medium carbonation, definitely a dry and bitter finish. Sort of a mouth-coating feel and man, does this go down smooth.

O - As good as this is, I remember it being hoppier and slightly more bitter on tap, with more grapefruit aroma and taste especially. My guess is that it might be a factor of the beer aging and the hop character diminishing, but I don't know how much a month can do.

Edit: I had a fresher bottle recently and it was how I remembered it on tap - lots of citrusy grapefruit aroma and flavor and a nice bitterness with the perfect amount of honey and malty sweetness to balance it. Great beer.

That being said, this beer is ridiculous. It's so smooth and balanced without any hint of alcohol in the taste, but you know it's there when you start to hit the bottom of your glass. There is a ton of complexity without any overpowering flavors, something that is hard to find with a lot of DIPAs. I would definitely look for this again and I'm glad I have a 6-pack.

BlackBelt5112203, Mar 06, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

RobertMathison, Mar 06, 2012
4.63/5  rDev +3.1%

Served on tap into snifter. Waited a long time for this one.

A: Pour presented with a nice amber gold color with a steady flow of carbonation. The head was a finger's length of foamy white sud that reduces to a thin layer with slight lacing.

S: Citrus, hops, florals, and pine right off the bat. The sweet aroma digs deeper than grapefruit. The floral/pine aromas combine nicely with typical DIPA scents.

T: First and foremost, I could not believe this beer snuck in 10%. All of the typical flavors came full circle without hinting the strength of the ingredient profile. Nice citrus and hop bitterness that gave way to sweet flavors.

M: A nice flow to the beer. The active carbonation gives a nice tingle as the masked alcohol and bitter hops give a nice aftertaste.

O: Honestly, I don't like jumping on bandwagons, but there is no argument to be had here. This is by far one of the more quality beers you can get out there.

cagocubs, Mar 06, 2012

Bin33chef, Mar 06, 2012

bhayle, Mar 06, 2012
4.38/5  rDev -2.4%

Reviewing from notes:
Pours an orange amber color, carbonation can be seen rising in the body. There is just a slight haziness. The head stands about one finger tall and is an off white color. Smell is of grapefruit, pineapple, and a slight malt sweetness. Taste has a strong bitterness, I get flavors of citrus: pineapple and grapefruit. I also get some honey, malt sweetness and a touch of alcohol. Mouthfeel is thickish, which is expected. This is a great DIPA.

gkunkle, Mar 06, 2012
4.2/5  rDev -6.5%

I am not typically a huge hops fan, but I am trying to gain exposure to a number of different hoppy beers to find one that is for me. Hopslam was definitely enjoyable: The initial gut punch was enjoyable and I could definitely taste the honey. By the end of the bottle, my mouth was just too tired, though. Maybe I just wasn't ready for it yet, I'll try another one in a few months!

cardern, Mar 06, 2012

quetzal013, Mar 05, 2012

bretsky07, Mar 05, 2012

dsal89, Mar 05, 2012
4.83/5  rDev +7.6%

Served out of a 12 oz bottle and into an American pint glass.
Appearance-golden color, medium carbonation, nice lacing.
Smell-wonderful notes of citrus fruit coming through, nice hoppy smell.
Taste- heavy notes of citrus but well balanced, grapefruit juice, blood red oranges, tangerine.The alcohol does not even come through even thought it is 10 percent.
Mouthfeel-pleasant
Overall-I have been waiting to try this for some time as they do not sell it in my neck of the woods. A freind from Ohio brought up a six pack this weekend and I was not disapointed, one of the best DIPA's I have ever had, amazing how it is 10abv and not boozy whatsoever, also the hops are wonderfully balanced.

HopNelius, Mar 05, 2012

KnightRider, Mar 05, 2012

MoDunc, Mar 05, 2012

Independant, Mar 05, 2012
4.48/5  rDev -0.2%

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a hazy dark gold with a one finger head. Poor head retention but moderate lacing.

Smells very citrusy with lots of pineapple; almost like fruit juice. Some floral notes are there as well.

The citrus hops come through very prominently at first and linger throughout. A moderate to high bitterness appears about halfway through and lingers for awhile. Honey is detectable mainly towards the finish and the sweetness hides any alcohol. Mouthfeel is medium to full but not at all syrupy like many IIPA's.

I was very pleasantly surprised by this beer. It honestly drinks like a 6 or 7 percent beer. The fruitiness is also very nice. A truly world class beer and I'm glad I was able to snag a 6 pack.

rangerred, Mar 05, 2012

Beertrader60657, Mar 05, 2012

Bloodbuzz99, Mar 05, 2012

HoistinBrews, Mar 05, 2012

LambicKing, Mar 05, 2012

Davit, Mar 05, 2012
Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.