Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 1,889
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.

(Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros

LaCoursiere, Feb 16, 2012

Vicsvapo, Feb 16, 2012
4.4/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottled 1/9/12

A: Pours copper with a thin white head.

S: Lots of hops. Grapefruit is the strongest with hints of grass, pine, and citrus.

T: Not surprisingly, very hoppy. Grapefruit is first followed by some citrus and piney hops. Finish has a bit of maly sweetness.

M: Medium and a bit oily with medium carbonation.

O: Very good beer. The hops are fresh and flavorful. This is one I'll get again.

RunForYourBeer, Feb 16, 2012
4.58/5  rDev +2%

12oz bottle into an oversized wine glass

Ap- pours a bright amber color with a white head that goes about a 1/4 inch. Retention is decent and hugs the glass well. Excellent lacing on the glass.

Ar- one of the best smelling DIPA's I have smelled. Huge grapefruit and citrus notes mix well with some pine. The biscuity malts balance this one out nicely. The honey comes through in the nose too.

T- The taste not as powerful as the nose but follows it closely. Grapefruit, citrus, honey, pine and malts are balanced amazingly well.

M- a little sticky, good carbonation, medium body. For 10% the alcohol doesn't really warm the mouth that much. A great oily hop prescence is left in the mouth after the swallow.

O- Truly a great DIPA. Honestly one of the best I have had. The drinkability for 10% is astounding and the balance of flavors is amazing too. Another great one from Bell's.

BeerNutz324, Feb 16, 2012

FeelinSurley, Feb 16, 2012

Namarsha82, Feb 16, 2012
4.15/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pored in Boulevard Tulip Glass, bottled 2/2/12

A - finger length in head, golden color, head quickly goes away

S - Big Citrus notes, as the head settles pine and soapy smells comes through, as it warms I am getting the fruity notes, specifically plum.

T - Clean and Hoppy, the hops give it a citrus taste, after swallowing more of the bitterness comes through. Very similar characteristics as the nose with pine coming out after swallowing. I had this out of a cask a couple weeks back and I have to say I enjoyed it much more... the cask seemed very fresh, having more fruity plum notes, as well as other great hop characteristics that made the beer seem more complex as a whole. Out of the bottle there is a very slight alcohol burn, which I don't remember from last year... probably due to the increase in honey (from what I have heard)

M - Sharp, crisp and bitter yet somehow smooth ... yum.

O - All in all... very solid, I'm being picky and thats because I really really enjoyed it out of the cask more. For $20 bucks a 6 pack kinda disappointing compared to last year but still damn good. Depending on what your tastes are, you might enjoy this 5 times more out of a cast... it literally blew my mind. If I were giving a cask review it would receive about a 4.8

jdprmd, Feb 16, 2012
4.93/5  rDev +9.8%

When I had this last year, I regarded it as the best beer I'd ever tasted. But I've had a lot of good beers in the interum, so I'm tempted to see how this holds up. OOH, the excitement!
Ummm,smells like grapefruit at the peak of ripeness. Not a hint of bitterness. There is a sticky sweetness to the nose that may be the honey. Head is less than I remembered. Taste is of grapefruit with just the right amount of sugar on it. I'm not picking up on the pineapple like I remembered. Mouthfeel has far more carbonation than the weak head would indicate. I detect discrepancies from last years batch, but still a solid, solid beer that remains a contender for best of the best.

anglagard1, Feb 16, 2012

hockenbeer, Feb 16, 2012

Mkfos13, Feb 16, 2012

My absolute FAVORITE IPA ever! The aroma has a strong grapefruit character, as does the taste, there is a nice refreshing citrus quality along with a slight pine taste and it's all topped off by a huge hoppy taste.

It also has a perfect malt background and there is no taste of alcohol even with the high ABV. Amazing. It's especially phenomenal on tap.

JohnnyMc, Feb 16, 2012
3.88/5  rDev -13.6%

Appearance: No head when poured into a very clean glass. Golden in color with light lacing left behind. Smell/

Aroma: Crisp, clean citrus. Much more of a mild hoppy smell than I expected. I wish it hit the nose more. Slight astringent smell towards the end of the glass (after a slight swirl).

Taste: High level of hops that stick a minute or so after you take a drink. Hops are very floral and citrus flavored. Almost no alcohol to the taste (very surprised for 10% ABV).

Mouthfeel/ Palate: Very smooth no bite to the alcohol, slightly thick (in a good way). Overall: Very nice beer with a clean crisp taste. Nice to drink and great smell to boot!

Serving type: Bottle poured into a Tulip on 2/15/2012. Bottled on 1/23/2012.

Burgy77, Feb 16, 2012
4.93/5  rDev +9.8%

Found at Discount Liquor Waukesha with a bottle date of 2/9/12 (5 days old @_@). Unpasteurized, unfiltered, brewed with honey.

A - Pours a nice 2 finger head, nice lacing, hazy dark gold color

S - pine, tropical, citrusy fruits

T - Pine first, followed by pineapple and tangerine, finishes dry with grapefruit flavors. There is a sweetness in there but its subtle and I cant say its honey even though I know thats probably what I am tasting.

M - Medium body and carbonation, smooth and incredibly balanced

O - I am shocked the hype on this was well deserved. I would say this tastes like a cross between Lupulin Maximus and Double Trouble. Very complex for the style as there are alot of flavors here for an IIPA and not your typical pineapple and grapefruit. Loving the lacing, aroma, and smooth mouth feel. This may be the best beer I have ever had.

Synergy87, Feb 15, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

A: Pours a hazy amber color with minimal lacing around the outside edge of the glass. Translucent enough to see bubbles rising up from the bottom and coming to a rest at a small patch of bubbles in the middle of the brew.

S: Piney hops are immediately present from about a foot away, light amounts of honey and some citrus as well.

T: With a nose like this, I was actually expecting significantly more hop taste than is actually present. That being said, the flavor profile is dominated by citrusy hops and slight amounts of honey. Some alcohol is also present on the finish.

M: Medium amount of carbonation with a medium-light body.

O: Overall a solid beer. Again, the flavor profile was a little lighter than I was expecting, but relative to the style, this beer is impeccable.

Daktyls, Feb 15, 2012

jwat, Feb 15, 2012

On tap at Sava’s in Ann Arbor. Served in pint glass. Aroma has traces of both the sweet honey and the in-your-face pine citrus hops. Elements of grapefruit and a hint of cat pee (citra?). Clear amber color, with a small head. Looks like candy. Beautiful golden orange pour and perfectly clear. Big head and punches you with the aroma as it pours (have also had bottled). Taste follows the aroma perfectly. Grapefruit, pine, zesty citrus, and some sweet honey. Nice bitterness up front with a punch of hops going down as well. Lingering honey citrus pine on the palate. Very drinkable, despite the 10% alcohol. Light to medium body with medium carbonation. A must try for anyone who fancies themselves a hop head. I look for this one every winter. Wish it were year round. Out of the bottle this is excellent, but on draft this thing hits a whole new level. I find a bit more of the mellow honey sweetness on draft and more floral aromatics--but excellent both ways.

BMMillsy, Feb 15, 2012
4.48/5  rDev -0.2%

Bottle poured into a Tulip at Toronado SD on 2/12/2012
Given to me by one of the Beertenders so I dont know the bottling date.

Appearance: Pours a clear, honey color with a nice thin head and great lacing.

Smell: Tons of citrus hops. The most up front for me is grapefruit and orange, but also quite a bit of piney aromas and a slight sweetness of honey in there too.

Taste: Citrusy, and pine hops dominate this one with some sweetness coming from the honey. Just a bit of malt to keep the beer nice and balanced. I say this is one of my favorite DIPA's, but I may be biased since the brewery name is the same as my last name. Definitely not overrated. A must try.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation and close to being full bodied. The malt profile is definitely giving this a creamy texture. This beer is a great DIPA that doesn't dominate in the boozy category. Highly drinkable.

Overall: The smell beats out the taste for me, but this is definitely among the smoothest, tastiest ones I have had. Glad to have finally gotten to try this beer and looking forward to my next one. If only I could get it easier out here.

SoCalStout, Feb 15, 2012

Hasser82, Feb 15, 2012
4.55/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured into snifter from 12oz bottle. Bottled on Jan 26, 2012.

Appearance: Clear, amber body. Finger-thick, white head that dissipates to a mediocre amount of lacing on the sides of the glass. Leaves a decent amount of patterns on the top of the beer.

Smell: Citrusy. A mixture of grapefruits, tangerines, and oranges. Piney. It's definitely a hop slam. A tinge of honey as well, but faintly.

Taste: Hops are dominant at the beginning of the sip. Still very citrusy flavors that finally succumb to a sweeter middle. It's balanced out though. Not too sweet. The finish is a combination of a hint of bitterness, that doesn't linger that much, and booze.

Mouthfeel: Crisp. Decently carbonated. A little slick. I would say medium-bodied.

Overall: One of my favorite DIPA's. Happy I finally get to review it. Definitely my favorite IPA that I can easily get in Florida when it is released.

nmbr0ne, Feb 15, 2012

jwmarcum, Feb 15, 2012

sneefcity, Feb 15, 2012

eeggles, Feb 15, 2012
4.25/5  rDev -5.3%

qcbrewer, Feb 15, 2012

ChrisMon02, Feb 15, 2012

12owls, Feb 15, 2012
Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.