Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 1,941
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.

(Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros

otter20dt, Feb 09, 2012

Cyclone8, Feb 09, 2012

AceMan, Feb 09, 2012

Harvey98, Feb 09, 2012

bbaxter, Feb 09, 2012
4.83/5  rDev +7.6%

32oz growler from CBX. Poured into a Bell’s tulip...

A: Slightly hazed gold; cotton white, one-finger head; leaves some pretty heavy rings and patches of lace that fade, but look pretty strong for a 10% ale.

S: Tropical fruit is huge; heavy citrus rind and resinous hoppiness; picking out anything other than hops is tough; mostly just dank, stank hops.

T: Super-citrus; resiny; pithy grapefruit; maybe some honey sweetness on the end; really hoppy, but a touch sweet; no real alcohol presence; bursting with hop flavor.

M: Pretty dense mouthfeel, but not quite full; a touch oily; not as dry as one would expect; no alcohol heat; lower carbonation.

O: For a 10% double IPA, wow! Very drinkable and the ultimate hop fix; had this in the bottle a couple of years ago and it seemed much more harsh and hot back then; great stuff and I suppose worthy of the hype (I guess).

jpro, Feb 09, 2012
4.4/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to kenatbeerswap for this great beer!

A: Pale orange with a lot of carbonation and a very active head.

S: TONS of hops, very strong yet appealing.

T: Wow, a lot of hops, possibly the hoppiest beer I've ever had.

M: Crisp with good carbonation.

O: One hell of a hop bomb, I couldn't believe this was 10% abv, I was shocked after I looked at the bottle. This lives up to the hype, got get some!

RXIII

Fubar1453, Feb 09, 2012

ds21tango, Feb 08, 2012

catfan2000, Feb 08, 2012

EyePeeAyBryan, Feb 08, 2012
4.85/5  rDev +8%

One of the best beers I’ve ever had! Had this on tap at Red’s Alehouse in North Liberty, IA. Copper color pour with white head and tons of lacing. Floral, citrus, pine, hop smell. Bitter start but a smooth hoppy almost creamy finish. Easy drinking beer and highly recommended!

iabeerbaron, Feb 08, 2012

JCanarecci, Feb 08, 2012

Snapps, Feb 08, 2012

groovy24, Feb 08, 2012
3.45/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Bottled 1/26. Reviewed Feb. 7.

Golden in color, lightly hazy. Some hop sediment visible. Minor lacing.

Smell is sweet grapefruit and pineapple. On first smell the hop notes are quite nice, but a heavy sweetness takes over.

Flavor is tropical hops and some seriously sweet malt. Notes of pineapple, grapefruit and light pine. They are matched by a heavy, syrupy-sweet stickiness. This is not a dry beer, by any means. I think I can taste the honey. Booze is noticeable, but not too much.

Mouthfeel is medium-thick for the style, with the thick body leaving sticky sweet notes on the palate.

Overall, this really didn't strike me as much better than many other East Coast DIPAs--way too sweet for my liking. I've heard complaints about this year's version, but I haven't had it in past years, so I can't compare. I will say that the bottles in the case I bought seem to vary in sweetness and hop character, to my tastes. All in all, I went out of my way to procure a case of this beer, and in the future I will not do so. I love a lot of Bell's beers--and Two Hearted is one of my favorite IPAs--but the hype for this one seems unwarranted to me.

musicforairports, Feb 08, 2012
4.28/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

was served from a tap at Valley Tap
A - orange and vibrant, nice foam head, with ever present lacing.
S - tropical fruit, malt sweetness, small hint of bitter
T - a lot of the smell, wanted a bit more due to the hype, but was very present, and very enjoyyable.
M times 2 of the smell, lots of sweet tropical sweetness, small hint of malt sweetness, small hint of pine.
O - enjoyable, very enjoyable. But not in my top five.

biglobo8971, Feb 08, 2012

DCBrewInhaler, Feb 08, 2012
4.3/5  rDev -4.2%

Thanks to my buddy Jimmy2282 for this one.

A: Single fingered, soapy white head that displayed ok retention settling to a thin soapy film atop the beer while leaving very little lacing behind. It has a slightly cloudy orange and slightly amber body that is a real beauty to look at. Just wish the head could have been better.

S: Lots of pine with some biscuity malts to tone down the punch of floral hops. Lovely honey notes poke through on the backend with a fair amount of citrus.

T: Talk about a lot of flavor. Floral pine with potent hops are the breakout flavors. Citrus and honey make up the middle, but aren't too strong to overshadow the bitterness once the hops return and dominate the backend.

M: Medium bodied, slightly under carbonated, but by no means unpleasant.

O: A great beer from a brewery I wish I had easier access to. I have recently heard that Bell's is planning to expand distribution to Texas, but I'm not holding my breath.

tjkinate, Feb 07, 2012

Fitzmke, Feb 07, 2012

edfinn, Feb 07, 2012
Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.