Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 1,778
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.

(Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
vic21234

4.97/5  rDev +10.7%

I havent had Hopslam in 3 years. I've been unable to get a hold of some come release time since early 2009. Finally got some this year. 12 ounce bottle poured into a snifter. Bottle date of 12/29/11. I'm very excited to meet Hopslam again.

A- Pours a dark rust color with a finger's worth of head. The head dissipates but leaves a nice film along the top which also sticks to the side of the glass.

S- Tons of citrus hops. The most prevalent for me is grapefruit and orange, but also quite a bit of piney aroma overall.

T- Overwhelming hop presence to begin upon first sipping. Overwhelming as in it might be the most hop forward beer I've tasted. Plenty of citrus and pine notes lead way to a maltiness. I'm trying to get the honey notes but really can't. The alcohol presence is apparent at the backend of the taste but you wouldn't guess it was 10% ABV.

M- Full bodied, nice carbonation and the hop presence lingers, primarily the piney characters.

Truly an awesome beer. If you have yet to try Hopslam it is a must have.

01-15-2012 07:02:45 | More by vic21234
KDawg

4.08/5  rDev -9.1%

poured from bottle into a tulip. Pours a solid orange color with a nice and small head

Rich and aromatic with aromas of hops, pine resin, citrus aromas with some spice

Excellent feel with good flavors, but there is a slight bit of booziness on the end. Very good flavors of hops, pine resin, citrus and booze flavors on the back end

This is what I'd more expect from a hopslam. I had an "aged" one from tap a few months back and it was very boozy. this one is very fresh (12/29/11) and tastes like i would expect.

01-15-2012 06:01:04 | More by KDawg

nucmedmario

01-15-2012 00:43:53 | More by nucmedmario
VelvetExtract

4.6/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Finally, finally get to try this.

A-Pours a lightly hazed honey color. Slow bubbles rise from the bottom of the glass. Head is off white and retains quite excellently. Rings of thick lace cling to the glass. Looks great.

S-Thick, ripe, juicy hops. Smells very, very resinous. The honey matches the hops excellently and is a great addition that adds complexity. Alcohol is masked very well. Hops are very fruity and citrusy. Piney hops lend a great bittering aroma too.

T-Holy mother this is an absolutely delicious beer. Hops begin very citrusy and tropical fruity. Immediately after an overwhelming hop bitterness sears the tongue. In between, the bread and caramel malt (enhanced by the sweet honey) calms the palate. Then another big flash of lasting piney and grassy hops strike again. Very bitter and resinous, and very delicious. Lives up to the hype easily.

M-Big bodied and very resinous. Carbonation massages the tongue and adds to the feel. Lasting bitterness just stays forever. Excellent feel. Honey flavor adds depth to the feel.

O/D-One of the best beers I have ever come across. Bitterly bold and extravagantly hopped. What an awesome beer. I would kill to be able to have this available to me more easily. This is a killer beer that lives up to the hype and I am so happy to have tried this!

Edit (2/19/14): After trying this again, as my experiences have heightened I have found that this beer is not as much as I initially made it out to be. Still delish, though.

01-15-2012 00:25:35 | More by VelvetExtract

bigjohn

01-14-2012 16:54:28 | More by bigjohn
JohnQBeer

3.78/5  rDev -15.8%

As a huge fan of Pliny the Elder and Heady Topper, I was very excited to try my first Hopslam, fresh and on-tap at Ashley's. Alas, I was hugely disappointed. I don't disagree with the majority of the other reviewers with regards to appearance, smell, and mouthfeel; where I diverge is in the taste.

While huge hop aromas are present and the initial taste is full of hops, from the middle to the finish the honey and malts dominate, making the beer seem closer to a Barleywine than a Double IPA. The malty sweetness really takes over the hops, and the finish in particular is much more sweet than bitter. As a hophead, I find the maltiness almost cloying and disruptive of the burst of hops I'd rather be enjoying.

One thing I love about PtE and HT is that I feel like I could keep drinking them all night; I never tire of their awesome hoppiness. As excited as I was to try Hopslam, especially on tap and so fresh, after one beer I had had enough and wanted to try a cleaner, hoppier IPA.

01-14-2012 16:16:43 | More by JohnQBeer
Zeller12

Wisconsin

01-14-2012 16:00:34 | More by Zeller12
Chris585

4.83/5  rDev +7.6%

I have had this beer at the very least within 5 days of bottling the last four years and am now finally reviewing it.

First pour, even aggressive, is of golden nearly clear with a one finger off white head. Lovely!

Aroma is unbelievable. This is almost what I wait for 9 months of the year, since I usually finish off the case or so within three months.

Taste is just as nice. WOW. Piney, peach, mango, you name it....done so well. Then in the middle to end you can taste and feel just a bit of burn and alcohol. Most reviews I have read on this beer state you cannot even tell the alcohol is 10%, Im not so sure this to be totally correct, but I guess when you have had so many off balance beers like so many of those have had, maybe they didnt want to notice it. Its there, but the honey and malt backbone keep it as just a passer by for me....I know its there but the sweetness at the middle to end is just right. Not too filling, not too sweet, high ABV, but doesnt make me want to sip it....I can keep going back to the fridge for more, if it werent for the common realization that the morning would be just a little too much with the kids running around and the head and spider webs abundant.

Mouthfeel is right there with the taste, but because of the burn in the end and the astringency i coulndnt quite give it the 5. Creamy, piney, full and excellently balanced overall. This is so hard to do, yet Bells pulls it off like clockwork.

Overall this beer is so hard to put down just one....and just as hard not to give it 5's all the way across the board. IM not sure what else would be so deserving of a full 5 but this is DAMN close!!! I almost want to give it that because I havent had much better in 5 years.

I would have given it a five in appearance yet I have seen a couple better DIPA that had a little more texture and haze to them that I liked and met the style better....but just by a tad. Mouthfeel and overall scores could have been 5 had it not been for the alcohol burn that is taken away mainly by the malt and honey, but never quite gives up....near perfection!

01-14-2012 06:31:52 | More by Chris585
xxcarpxx

Alabama

01-14-2012 06:05:10 | More by xxcarpxx
Cummins9110

4.58/5  rDev +2%

Bottled 1/6/2012

A - pale orange with thick head that last throughout and laces well

S - even floral and citrus hops both balancing eachother evenly and sweet honey

T - Homey malt up front with the hops "slaming" towards the middle with floral tropical citrus fruits very noticable. altho this is a winter release the hops make me think of being on a beach in the summer. biterness towards the end altho very balanced. After taste is of alcohol, almost burns the nose in the aftertaste (like taking a shot)
M - medium low bodied but very smooth and somewhat sweet.

Overall Im impressed this is my first time having hopslam and its very good, picked up two six packs at 19.25 each

01-14-2012 05:38:29 | More by Cummins9110
adamdarcy

4.68/5  rDev +4.2%

Bottled on December 29, 2011. Purchased at Park Place Liquor, Grosse Pointe, MI.

Pliny has nothing on this. Dreadnaught, nawww...Even Bear Republic's Cafe Racer 15 has got some stiff competition with this one. There're more DIPA's yet to try, but this one is in my top 5 for sure!

Fruity, biscuit-y nose and similar taste until....the hops wrecked my palate. No holds barred. But I love it! My hop addiction was more than satisfied, and I am honored to have had one so $#@&'ing fresh!!

Trade or travel, get some.

01-14-2012 04:42:52 | More by adamdarcy
Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.