Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 2,045
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.

(Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros

3.5/5  rDev -22%

4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

3.45/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Bottled 1/26. Reviewed Feb. 7.

Golden in color, lightly hazy. Some hop sediment visible. Minor lacing.

Smell is sweet grapefruit and pineapple. On first smell the hop notes are quite nice, but a heavy sweetness takes over.

Flavor is tropical hops and some seriously sweet malt. Notes of pineapple, grapefruit and light pine. They are matched by a heavy, syrupy-sweet stickiness. This is not a dry beer, by any means. I think I can taste the honey. Booze is noticeable, but not too much.

Mouthfeel is medium-thick for the style, with the thick body leaving sticky sweet notes on the palate.

Overall, this really didn't strike me as much better than many other East Coast DIPAs--way too sweet for my liking. I've heard complaints about this year's version, but I haven't had it in past years, so I can't compare. I will say that the bottles in the case I bought seem to vary in sweetness and hop character, to my tastes. All in all, I went out of my way to procure a case of this beer, and in the future I will not do so. I love a lot of Bell's beers--and Two Hearted is one of my favorite IPAs--but the hype for this one seems unwarranted to me.

4.28/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

was served from a tap at Valley Tap
A - orange and vibrant, nice foam head, with ever present lacing.
S - tropical fruit, malt sweetness, small hint of bitter
T - a lot of the smell, wanted a bit more due to the hype, but was very present, and very enjoyyable.
M times 2 of the smell, lots of sweet tropical sweetness, small hint of malt sweetness, small hint of pine.
O - enjoyable, very enjoyable. But not in my top five.

4.3/5  rDev -4.2%

Thanks to my buddy Jimmy2282 for this one.

A: Single fingered, soapy white head that displayed ok retention settling to a thin soapy film atop the beer while leaving very little lacing behind. It has a slightly cloudy orange and slightly amber body that is a real beauty to look at. Just wish the head could have been better.

S: Lots of pine with some biscuity malts to tone down the punch of floral hops. Lovely honey notes poke through on the backend with a fair amount of citrus.

T: Talk about a lot of flavor. Floral pine with potent hops are the breakout flavors. Citrus and honey make up the middle, but aren't too strong to overshadow the bitterness once the hops return and dominate the backend.

M: Medium bodied, slightly under carbonated, but by no means unpleasant.

O: A great beer from a brewery I wish I had easier access to. I have recently heard that Bell's is planning to expand distribution to Texas, but I'm not holding my breath.

3.5/5  rDev -22%

4.45/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle. Bottled 12/30. My first year having the hopslam so I can't compare it to years past, but I'm a big fan of the Two Hearted. I have had a few bottles of this, all from the same batch. The ones I consumed earlier seemed somewhat boozy, this one really hit the spot. Not sure if my palate was off or what...

A- Pours a one finger head with good lacing and a small ring of a head retained on the sides of the glass. A hazy golden color that is very appealing.

S- Pineapple bomb. The fruit is certainly out in front here and it works very well. A bit of sweet honey and booze.

T- The closest thing I can compare it to is juicy fruit gum in the beginning and middle. The end gives a bit of piney bitterness, but not very much due to the sweet honey and lighter malts that back the beer up. I can see how some would think this is too sweet, but I love it.

M- Smooth, medium-bodied for the style. A little stickiness that lingers, but not a whole lot.

O- A damn fine beer. It's certainly sweet and I'll admit I had a couple bottles that didn't do it for me, but at it's full potential this beer is really delicious. The hop flavor is unlike anything I've tasted previously. If it were available in my area I would certainly buy more soon.

4.38/5  rDev -2.4%

On tap, Lancaster PA.

Notes taken when served.

Approximately a 10 oz serving, poured into one of those horrible narrow tulips that seem to be all the rage now with bars and bottle shops. They should definitely be outlawed!

After purchase I was given a proper Nonic to use. Many thanks to Kevin and staff for that.

After getting a proper glass this ale pours a beautiful two finger head, solid and it lasts, slowly reducing to a ½” head, great lace sticks to the glass.
Medium deep gold color.

Nice hop dominated aroma though it could be a little more distinct. Mostly notes of tropical fruit, pineapple and lemon with just a hint of piney resin. Fine golden malt. Quite pleasant.

Crisp entry on the palate of bitter citrusy hops, followed by refined malt and some hints of ale yeast. The bitterness lasts throughout the pour, with a slight sweetness but not overdone. The crisp acidity helps balance everything out. Full mouth feel. Delicious.

Long lingering finish of bitter hops with the hop oils sticking to your mouth.

An unbelievably smooth and easy to drink DIPA. The 10% ABV is not even remotely noticeable.
Total enjoyment!
As stated above I feel it could be a little more aggressive in the smell, but what’s here is very enjoyable.
Well this was certainly an enjoyable brew. However that being said it is much overhyped.
There are many DIPA’s out there that are as good as this offering, and much easier to find. Founders Double Trouble, Dogfish Head 90 minute and Weyerbacher Double Simcoe come to mind first but there are others.
Still this is very enjoyable and highly recommended.

4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours out a nice dark yellow with a finger, white head with good retention.

Smell is nice tropical with honey. The honey really works well with the hops. Taste is nice tropical with perfect bitterness as it goes down the throat. Really a nice beer.

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.