Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 2,000
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.

(Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros

Caterwaul, Jan 27, 2012

ChrisSRT4, Jan 27, 2012

founder26, Jan 27, 2012

JustinMatthew, Jan 27, 2012
4.48/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Got a pair of 6 packs and ready to dive in! Bottle on 1/10/12.

A- Nice copper yellow. Decent.

S - Grapefruit and honey primarily. Smell really draws you in.

T- Very well put together. For a 10% ABV it is masked masterfully. Notes of honey and bitterness intertwine beautifully. Finishes smooth with the dryness of an IPA.

M - Creamy and smooth, very good malts.

O - I really enjoyed this beer. I had heard of it for quite a while and was excited to get such a bountiful amount. They will be enjoyed!

mscudder, Jan 27, 2012

Hellvis, Jan 27, 2012
4.25/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

So here goes...having had it a dozen times...here is my attempt of the infamous, hype-crazed Hopslam...

Appearance: Pours a very clear golden color with good head retention and good lacing. The appearance certainly looks the part.

Aroma: Simcoe all the way. Big piney notes. Catty notes. Really, really nice citrusy hop notes. Some malty aroma as well,

Taste: I really wish I didn't like this as much as I do. It decidely opposes most of what I really enjoy about IPAs. It's "east coast" malty, it's a touch sweet, and it shows a bit of booze. That being said, the hop flavor is incredible and it melds with the malt super well. If you evaluate the taste as a whole, there aren't many holes to poke in it. It literally begs you to take another sip. The easiest drinking 10% IPA in existence. Not hard to see where the hype comes from. The aftertaste/late palette is absolutely incredible. All hop flavor, no bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Carbed enough to not be sweet or cloying. The mouthfeel does the beer justice.

Overall: Nice Double IPA. Not worth the hype, but that is no fault of the beer itself.

jacewg, Jan 27, 2012
3.6/5  rDev -19.8%

O.K. here we go:
S - Oops I just ran over a case of grapefruit while I was mowing my lawn
T- sticky sweet grapefruit meets everclear
M - dry but resiney and my tongue still hurts
O- Alright I am a brewer with a ridiculous contract for Amarillo hops. I decide to make an over-the-top DIPA and let the craziness begin. 10% abv - but still with a final gravity in the 1.020 range- with the honey o.g. must've been in the 1.120 range. Mash around 150 please.

Sorry, I digress. This is like a Mitt Romney tax rate. Too much cash and the rest of the world can just suck it.

I drank one, o.k.that was extreme,. I drank two. I'm fuzzy. I split one with some DIPA homebrew - that was still pretty sweet. Split it 33% TO 67% HopSLAM to Homebrew DIPA- no need to dry hop ever again . . .

I wonder if the Amarillo hops quota and supply would even out if we would stop paying $20 a sixer for this.

Stop the madness and allow a bit of subtlety please. Someone else might like to use some of the amariillo supply.

Aargh! pirate retort.

Still on the pliny train.

tharper, Jan 27, 2012
4.58/5  rDev +2%

Right when cracking the bottle the room filled with the scent of fresh, raw hops. Very grassy and floral in nature, these were used as fresh as possible, and as young as possible, and probably dry hopped up until literally bottling the beer. There is no other way to describe how this beer smells other than how the Borg from Star Trek would describe it: It is perfection.

The liquor is a perfectly clear medium orange color, like honey. The head is nice and fluffy, and leaves some of the most prominent, obvious, and gorgeous lacing I have ever seen. Visible carbonation supporting the head from the etched glassware gives this beer a little extra oomph.

To truly enjoy this, I would chill it, then let it sit out for 30 minutes before opening it. This review is of the third one that I have had, and by far, this is the best serving temperature, probably right around 47°F. Immediately, I get hit with hops, floral in nature, like a punch in the face by Mike Tyson wearing a glove made of hops. The bitterness is solid, but I get a nice sweetness to it, like a mix of toffee and caramel. It's also a tad biscuity. The hops linger though the finish, but so does the alcohol. It's somewhat boozy, this one. This what I would expect to taste if I jumped into a pile of freshly harvested hop cones with my mouth open.

Hopslam has a full body, or at least on the very high-end of medium bodied. Carbonation is perfect at a nice modest level. You taste the beer, not the carbonation bite.

Overall, there isn't anything bad I can say about this beer. The entire experience draws me back to the picture on the bottle, a man being crushed by a giant hop cone. This is what drinking Hopslam feels like. Excellent job Bell's, in creating an IPA that needs to be sipped to be appreciated.

tlazaroff, Jan 27, 2012
4.6/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally got a 6 pack of this. As a West Coast person, I'm very excited to finally try this. Bottle date of 1/9/12. Poured into Bruery tulip.

Appearance is golden. Finger thick head dissipates into a ring with little islands. Smell is absolutely awesome. The hops are there and the sweetness of the honey. My mouth is watering.

Taste is outstanding. It's hoppy, but it's not overwhelming (or maybe my palate is just getting used to extremely hopped beers). There is a sweetness that accentuates the fruity and floral notes of the hops.

Mouthfeel, for 10%abv, is great. Goes down smooth and the aftertaste lingers in the mouth.

Overall, it's outstanding. It's really good. Cheers!

UnknownKoger, Jan 27, 2012
4.53/5  rDev +0.9%

by far the best beer i have had in awhile. i debated picking up a six pack for myself however with it being so limited i let our customers have at it :) luckily we have the best customers ever and one was kind enough to hand a bottle over as i was instructed to enjoy and soooo i did. not bitter at all definitely something to sip on and enjoy to the very end

cheers405, Jan 27, 2012

docrates, Jan 27, 2012

barca5, Jan 27, 2012
4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

Major thanks to brkstoutfiend for the trade!

Pours a clear light orange with a big white, fluffy head that lingers and laces.

Smells of dank, fruity hops. Notes of grapefruit, plum, pear, peach mix with an herbally, earthy hop character. Not fruity in the Nelson hop kind of way...more American style hop character with, perhaps, some noble hops. Bready/cracker hints of malt and alcohol are present.

Taste is up front cracker that instantly goes into a tropical fruit flavor while blending into a more pine/earthy character mixed with tropical fruit that finishes on a bitter, fruity note. The finish morphs from fruity to malty to earthy...very interesting and not like other DIPAs (Pliny for example). Notes of apple, pear, stone fruit, and grapefruit are prevalent. It makes me think of fruit snacks like Gushers.

Medium to lighter body with medium to lighter carbonation works well for the beer. The taste is more complex and heavy than the actual body of the beer, which is a good thing. Alcohol is present and warming but not out of balance.

Well, this is easily one of the best DIPAs I've had. It is so different in some ways from Pliny that it is hard to draw a comparison. Bready, malty, complex hop character (fruity, dank, earthy), and just well balanced overall. I'm glad I got to try it fresh.

TenHornsProud, Jan 27, 2012

cnthix, Jan 26, 2012

jmhart, Jan 26, 2012
3.03/5  rDev -32.5%

Sampled three bottles from a sixer in Michigan bottled on Jan. 9.

A: Nice, golden IPA, nice head with minimal lacing. Pretty much what you look for, but nothing spectacular.

S: Nice citrus hops, but a bit faint for my liking. Pales next to Lagunitas Sucks, for example.

T: Big and sticky and lacking in complexity. I get no honey at all, and the hops just don't come together in any interesting way. It stuns me that many have rated this higher than both Younger and Elder, each of which is significantly superior. I am impressed with how successfully the high ABV is hidden.

M: A bit thin. Good carbonation, nothing to write home about.

O: A good solid DIPA, but nothing to write home about. I'm from Michigan, so I was ready to have my socks knocked off. I can only conclude that anyone rating this above the best west-coast IPAs, Heady Topper, etc., have never had any of those fresh. This just isn't terribly special. Disappointing.

drgarage, Jan 26, 2012
3.1/5  rDev -31%

Second (re) review Friday nite after my cheesteak and my sharp cheese you know what drinking my last 2 hopslams this beer doesn't have much going on tonite at all, kinda bland and tasteless, doesn't pare well with dinner at all. Give me a celebration all day, yea that goes well with everything.
Well. Ok I get it the hype and the demand for this beer. But, honestly, for me, this year is just like last year, I'm glad I got my 6, and enjoyed it, but it doesn't make my favorite list and it's not one of those beers I miss when its gone. For my money, here's hoping Hop 15 makes it to distribution this February, time to bug the brewer as I call it. And 9 month old Central Waters Illumination blows this away, that's the beer I'm looking forward to this year, gotta try it fresh, yea I'm one of that "niche" who doesn't mind aged ipas. And the best thing about this beer is i got my sixer for $17, yes $17 dollars, I got a case @Shangys for $69 and sold 3 sixes to a retailer for $52 cost. I don't need any $$$ from this, I'm happy to pay the $ 17, last year i paid $28 for my sixer,
ridiculous. All that being said ...

Pours beautiful hazy golden, big bitter smell of citrus hops with a little alcohol. Taste follows, grapefruit, lemon, orange hops with a nice bitter orange peel aftertaste. Very drinkable, the boozy finish does not bother me at all, I'm a boozehead. I'm on my 3rd, hammered, and this beer actually (like most alcohol) gets better as you go.

If I'm reviewing the first beer today, it's way overhyped, now on the 3rd, well, let's just say I'm glad I paid $17 not $28 for this sixer. If I could let one sit for 6 months in the frig I'd love to see what its like then.

Overall its good, but not necessarily better than many other less hyped beers.

B33R501, Jan 26, 2012

elfcounsul, Jan 26, 2012
Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.