Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 1,737
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.

(Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
colt45n

Missouri

Served from 12oz bottle.

A: Golden color with an orange tint. Firm head and beautiful lacing.

S: Fruity Fruity, Hops Hops, beatiful smell

T: Juicy orange and grape flavors upfront, I have never had anytype of IPA like this and I am loving the fruity hops

D: Medium, sticky mouthfeel that is not overwhelming for a beer this big.

Overall I really love this beer but as others have mentioned it def loses its surperior quality after time, don't get me wrong its still a great beer, just not over the top greatness like when fresh.

05-21-2011 13:50:12 | More by colt45n
jefferz5000

4.5/5  rDev 0%

Mega thanks to Scoot1969 for tossing this into an amazing box of goodies for me.

This pours beautifully into my Spiegelau tulip. A soft, slightly hazy, amber gold hue with a pretty white head that hangs out as I sip away.

Aroma is of fresh citrus fruits and tropical pineapple scents. I think some honey may be coming through along with the hoppiness. This is a surprisingly good aroma.

Taste follows the nose and brings some pretty extreme hop bitterness, but not overwhelming (well sorta to my dad). The fruitiness is such a pleasant surprise. This is the kind of DIPA that I hope for. Alcohol presence makes itself somewhat known, but not in a bad way.

Mouthfeel is really nice. It's got a creaminess to it that I find quite pleasant. Just the right amount of carbonation.

I know people love to discuss freshness and how beers like this are worthless after a day, but this is quite delicious and I'm so glad I've had the opportunity to try it. If this is seriously better when seconds old, I'll certainly have to seek some out next year.

05-19-2011 03:00:46 | More by jefferz5000
Dope

4.83/5  rDev +7.3%

5/18/11 review, approximately 5 month old bottle.

A: A nice light amber color, pretty typical of a double IPA.

S: Very citrusy and sweet smelling. Not as flowery or strong as some other DIPAs but still very respectable.

T: Very nice hop bitterness up front that rounds out with some delicious honey flavor. Extremely well balanced and extremely smooth all the way through. Tastes good chilled from the fridge or at room temperature. No indication of alcohol at all, honestly I was shocked when I read it was 10% - I figured maybe 7% at most.

M: Full bodied - this is where you can tell it's a bit bigger than I initially expected. Fairly heavy and almost feels like your mouth is coated with sticky honey.

D: Top notch for the style. Obviously it's a pretty big beer with a lot of alcohol and sweetness but nothing is overpowering. I could drink a bunch of these no problem.

Overall I think this is the best DIPA I've ever had (no, I haven't had any of the Plinys). Stellar beer, just too bad Bell's doesn't distribute out here :(

1/24/12 review, bottle dated 12/30/11.

A: A cloudy golden orange pour. Big frothy white head atop it. Head retention is excellent. Lacing is as well.

S: Lots of citrus, grapefruit and honey. Nice grainy caramel malt to back it up. Resinous pine shows up once it warms. Maybe a touch of pineapple?

T: Big pine and grapefruit bitterness punch up front. Sweet caramel malt kicks in with the honey to round it out PERFECTLY. Honey lingers nicely in the aftertaste with the pine.

M: Pretty heavy but not as bad as you would expect. Almost a little sticky. Carbonation is dead on.

O: This is the pinnacle of IPAs in my opinion. Since my first review I've had some PtE and other notables but they don't surpass hopslam. Great beer, wish it were year-round (and available in MA!). Reading my first review, it seems to hold up pretty damn well, which is more than can be said for other IPAs.

05-18-2011 21:08:40 | More by Dope
JerseyKirk

4.15/5  rDev -7.8%

A: Golden but not transparent. Hardly any head due to alcohol content. White head. Limited lacing.

S: Grapefruit. Strong and delicious smelling.

T: Hoppy but not overly bitter. Really smooth and balanced. Clean finish. No alcohol burn even though its 10% abv.

M: Full bodied.

D: Could easily drink more without being overworked with hop flavors.

05-18-2011 19:30:11 | More by JerseyKirk
SirSketch

4.2/5  rDev -6.7%

A - Golden color with an orange tint. Firm head and beautiful lacing.

S - Resinous, sappy hops and some grapefruit and white grape juice. Smells very 'dank,' if you catch my drift. The alcohol aromas just barely break through all of the hops.

T - Juicy orange and grape flavors upfront, then another round of hops that are more 'green,' or leafy, and ends with a huge bitterness and alcohol bite.

M - Medium, sticky mouthfeel that is not overwhelming for a beer this big.

O - Such a delicious DIPA that doesn't weight you down with the body or alcohol, like so many others do.

05-18-2011 04:50:43 | More by SirSketch
mjw1200

I wrote this review when I had my first one of the year, just forgot to publish. Hopslam starts losing flavor quickly to me, and every one I buy is guzzled as quick as possible. My wife was shocked by the smell sitting 15 feet away. She said it was the best beer she has ever smelled and I concur. Very smooth, Lots of grapefruit comes through. Love the citrus and the bitterness. This is top of the class when it comes to DIPAs.

05-15-2011 19:12:46 | More by mjw1200
chugalug06

Colorado

3.95/5  rDev -12.2%

A - Pours very nicely. Easily fits into a globe with one pour. Head is two finger with foamy slightly green/yellow head. Brew color is perfect cloudy orange color. Great head retention and nice lacing!

S - Slight soapy scent... Almost like little kid bubbles. Not overly amazing scent. Kinda disappointing. I would love to have had a fresh one, from what I understand this brew is currently three or four months old. When I really bury my nose in this brew I can pull notes of pine, lemon, and pineapple.

T - Amazingly smooth! Zero hint of heat whatsoever. Great taste. Grapefruit, orange, and lime all come to mind when drinking.

M - WOW. Great mouthfeel. Delicate carbonation, done wonderfully. Heavy bodied, but drinks very well.

O - Great brew! Super glad I got to FINALLY try this one!!! I'd love to try a fresh Hopslam sometime. A great brew in a great trade! I little bit all over the board, but good nonetheless

Thank you brendaniel!

Cheers!

05-14-2011 02:01:33 | More by chugalug06
HuskyinPDX

Washington

3.68/5  rDev -18.2%

Reviewed on 3-14-2011

12oz bottle poured into a Ping Glass.
bottle code 10127

A- Pours a light orange color with a white- almost nonexistent head.

S- Smells like lemon, orange, and honeysuckel.

T- Honey, oranges, tangerines.

D- Drinks too sweet for me.

O- I was really excited for this one, but I was a bit let down how sweet it was.

05-12-2011 00:10:53 | More by HuskyinPDX
dhartogs

4.88/5  rDev +8.4%

Overall: I am not a hophead, and didn't want to believe the hype, but I am sold.

A: Nice cloudy body thick head.
S: Amazing, my wife does not like the smell of hops but could nose this baby all day long
t: remarkably smooth given the abv and ibus.
m: tingly and big.

O: What can I say about this beer that hasn't been said. I was surprised at how much I liked this offering and really enjoyed sipping on it for an hour trying to disect the beer.

05-11-2011 15:53:04 | More by dhartogs
shangwang

4.93/5  rDev +9.6%

got a couple of bottles of this in a trade from stickman1220 - thanks, Chris!

poured from bottle with batch #10073 into a Dogfish goblet.

Hopslam poured with a finger of creamy white head that very quickly dissipated and left thick thick lacing on the sides of the glass. It was a golden orange color and fairly clear. FANTASTIC smell; orangy citrus sweetness beautifully blended with hops. The taste was equally enjoyable; I definitely tasted honey and citrus sweetness, and the bitterness of hops delightfully punched through without either end of the spectrum overpowering the other. Extremely well-balanced. Some hints of booziness were just barely present, but overall the taste masked the high ABV deceivingly well. Medium weight in the mouth, with some stickiness, but like every other aspect of this beer, juuust right. Very drinkable- you could easily knock back a few of these without batting an eye (if it weren't for the pricetag!).

Overall, I can easily see why this beer is so highly regarded. I was most impressed with the balance of sweetness and bitterness. To me, this is how an IPA should taste. Well done, Bell's!

05-11-2011 00:54:41 | More by shangwang
sbennett22

4.7/5  rDev +4.4%

A: Dark orange in color. Thin, lacy head that sticks to the glass but disappears before long.

S: Smells very sweet because of the honey, but also strong scent of hops and other citrus flavors.

T: Perfect balance of sweet honey and hoppy bitterness throughout the entire sip. The high ABV is hidden very well in this delicious beer.

M: Coats the mouth, but not overbearing. Smooth and drinkable for such a strong beer.

O: For me, this beer was well worth the hype. I noticed a serious difference between fresh Hopslam and anything over a month old. The quality through its life is often debated, but I preferred it as fresh as possible.

05-10-2011 20:18:38 | More by sbennett22
chinchill

South Carolina

4.16/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. bottle served in pint glass (and 2013 bottle in a goblet)

Pours a nice light, orange-amber with 1 finger of bone head. Upon drinking, the head reduces to irregular surface coat and leaves splotchy, sticky lacing.

Highly aromatic, with seemingly fresh and rather strong hoppy aroma. Fruity (citrus) and floral, with hints of high ABV.

Very strong flavor with ample bitter and noticeable sweet components. Slightly dry finish with less bitterness than expected; IBU, reported as 106, seems lower. The high ABV seemed partly hidden but became more evident with warming. Hints of orange peel, honey brandy, pine and grapefruit lie within the complex mix of hop flavors.

M - good carbonation; fairly smooth; a little 'bite' from high ABV and hops. Warming.

O - simply a great sipper for hopheads, and I do recommend sipping for both reasons of flavor and ABV. Not quite over the top, the huge hop load is pungent but seems less challenging than it might be, perhaps due to the honey; perhaps due to the "generous malt bill". Still, too extreme for some, no doubt.

(revised lightly with new .25 pt rating system and tasting of 2013 bottle in Feb. 2013)

05-08-2011 20:36:27 | More by chinchill
Seeker41184

Date Drunk: 1/15/11

Pours like a light lager, with a yellow-orange tint with frothy head. The smell is mouth watering of candy hops and pink grapefruit. The first sip made me fall back into my chair. It's liquid sugared grapefruit with a slight dry hop at the end, it is brewed with honey, hence the sweetness. To make this beer even better, you can keep drinking and drinking because the 10% is not even present.

The tap version is a perfect beer.

05-08-2011 18:39:38 | More by Seeker41184
elephantrider

4.93/5  rDev +9.6%

For my first review I will do one of my favorite beers.

A: Golden copper color with a fluffy white head. Spiderweb lacing as the glass empties.

S: The aroma of this beer is incredible. Very piney and resiny. The citrus aroma smacks you in the mouth.

T: This is not one of those beers that is over the top bitter. In fact, it is the opposite. At first, it tastes sweet but that soon changes into a dominant citrus flavor with honey in the backround. Alcohol is very well hidden.

M: Not a very heavy or thick beer but definitely sticky.

O: This is a top 3 DIPA for me and I have had a bunch of them. I always look forward to the release of this one. I have had this on draft, cask and bottled and I would say bottled is the best. For some reason the hop presence flourishes when served in a bottle.

05-07-2011 20:16:15 | More by elephantrider
BigSteinsEmpire

4.72/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this on tap at the neighborhood brewpub. It was my first time having it on tap. Pretty amazing....immediately notice the crisp and citrus hop flavor with an amazing honey after taste. So good it made me keep coming back for more...didn't realize just how strong it was though.

Then had it from the bottle a few days later and found them to be quite different. Bottle seemed to be less citrus flavor but more honey. All in all the best IIPA I've ever had.

05-07-2011 12:39:36 | More by BigSteinsEmpire
shawnp

4.6/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz. bottle poured into a duvel. Bottled 1/26/2011 - consumed 2/21/2011 - reviewing from notes.
A: pours a hazy copper color clearing up after the bottle empties. Fluffy off white head, good lacing and retention. Very resinous.

S: Huge hop presence, big citrus notes and a heavy pine concentration.

T: Fits the aroma almost perfectly with a nice honey balance.

M: Good balance on carbonation and a nice hop bitterness adds a little on the tongue.

O: Excellent brew from Bell's. I wish they would do this year round. Great DIPA.

05-07-2011 05:58:11 | More by shawnp
philly224

4.2/5  rDev -6.7%

Had from an 12 oz bottle that was a few months old.

A: Golden color with a little bit of a white head.

S: Lots of pine/grapefruit you can really smell the hops in this one

T: I got a lot of grapefruit and the honey balanced things out nicely. Even at over 2 months old this beer tasted great.

M: Medium body with a good bit of carbonation

Overall this is a great year and I cant wait until next years release to try it fresh.

05-07-2011 01:02:18 | More by philly224
hotmanflab666

4.68/5  rDev +4%

Pours from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Emerges nice deep golden in color which tells me I am going to enjoy this one. The color shows a lack of caramel color, therefore, a lack of caramel flavor (which I like in DIAP). Small white head leaves minimal lacing.

Aroma is very grapefruity, grassy, and quite piney as well. Loads of overall citrus with minimal malt aromas.

Awesome flavor and exactly what a DIPA should be like. Slight sweetness immediately, then leaves immediately, with some more bitterness up front and more in the back. Loads of grapefruit with the grass being a little more subdued in flavor as compared to aroma. Bitter but in no way out of balance. Absolutely perfect.

Perhaps a touch thin for most but I really like the thinness. Without the chewy maltiness, this is one perfect DIPA. Perhaps this and Pliny the Elder are tops in my book. Wonderful.

05-06-2011 02:35:23 | More by hotmanflab666
lovindahops

4.35/5  rDev -3.3%

finally I get the chance to try the legendary Hopslam! Ever since I started on this site I have wanted to try this brew. I can't wait to try this bad boy!

A- Hopslam pours a golden orange color with fantastic foam that hangs around the top. Sticky lacing is all over the sides of the glass. The brew almost glows all over the place. It literally highlights a hop fest that is on the way

S- no question, you have to quarantine this brew! The minute the cap pops off, the scent is flaring. Concentration of mangos, tropical fruit, and piney resin top off a good caramel and toffee whack of flavor. I can only imagine if this was fresh

T- very very impressive taste profile. The tropical fruit is absolutely catastrophic. This is a very unique taste for a DIPA that meshes with a caramel malt on the backend. I can't even find the alcohol! Even a little bitterness to keep the theme going

M- mouth is carbonated and full of flavor. The flavor from Hopslam literally coates your mouth

D- hands down, this is the real deal. Hopslam is so drinkable. It may be the TASTIEST brews out there. Great flavor all over. I am going to need to trade for this bad boy yearly

05-06-2011 00:40:37 | More by lovindahops
hopslamds

4.85/5  rDev +7.8%

Fresh 2009 batch poured a beautiful hazy yellow with thick white head. Aroma of strong citrusy hops. Initial taste is hot with citrus and grapefruit. Sweet with hints of caramel and left a very nice hoppy taste in my mouth afterward. Alcohol is hidden very well. An aged 2008 bottle mellows out the hops and hotness and makes for a wonderful taste.

05-05-2011 21:46:01 | More by hopslamds
Bennettrox

Tennessee

4.43/5  rDev -1.6%

A - Golden orange with a fairly decent frothy head.

S - Holy Hops. And Hops. And more hops. Am I in a pine forest?

T - Just like it smells and implies, this is a hop slam. Piney, earthy, and green. If I were to expect a national forest to come up with a beer based on the surroundings - this would be it.

M - Very sticky. This one will stay with you until the next beer for sure. Medium/High carbonation.

O - Very good DIPA. I was expecting a slam of hops, and I got just that. Not as bitter as I expected, but I'm happy because of that. Seek after this fresh and get ready for the slam!

05-05-2011 07:30:15 | More by Bennettrox
vandemonian

Maryland

Bell's Hopslam is a lovely, hoppy and strong double IPA. Get it whenever you can!

A: Orange with a 1 cm head. 4

S: Hoppy citrus and bitter with some hints of grassiness. 4

T: Tastes likes liquid grass with some bitterness. 4

M: Pretty foamy. 4

O: Delicious. 4

05-04-2011 01:50:30 | More by vandemonian
challenja

4.88/5  rDev +8.4%

A: . It pours slightly hazed Orange copper color with a small white cap which disappears within a minute.

S: Tons of citrus, tropical fruits, pineapple,honey, and pale malt. Well balanced and sweet hop slam. Dah dah dah..

T: Tropical fruits, citrus (grapefruit, Juicy Egyptian Orange and lemon), honey, pale malts, and a nice alcohol flourish in the finish. A sweeter tastier Ruination mouth blast.

MF: Viscous body, silky juicy west coast hop madness!! Really the best MF of any IPA out there when on tap. Good carbonation.

Overall: My Favorite IPA of all time. Too bad its in and out like the McRib.. Needs to be an Unlimited Release!!!

Serving type: On Tap and Bottle. On Tap.. I polished off 4 or 5.. I was slammed..

05-03-2011 04:59:34 | More by challenja
PatLarsen

South Carolina

4.43/5  rDev -1.6%

A: Got a bottle of this the other day. It pours slightly hazed copper color with a small white cap. Retention is good.

S: Tons of citrus, tropical fruits, honey, and pale malt. Well balanced and sweet

T: Tropical fruits, citrus (grapefruit and lemon), honey, pale malts, and a bit of alcohol on the finish. More bitter than I remember in bottles

MF: Viscous body, OK carbonation.

Overall: Really good beer I liked it alot.

04-30-2011 12:18:03 | More by PatLarsen
Krakistophales

Connecticut

4.47/5  rDev -0.7%

A: Pours a very light amber that yields 2 fingers worth of a white head which recedes into a bubbly film at the top of the glass

S: Straight up piney hops blast the nose and don't yield, followed a bit by pineapple, citrus, and honey combo.

T: Grassy, piney hops in the initial are balanced by sweet malts, followed by a lingering hop aftertaste. Tempered by some citrus and honey notes, though mostly a "hopslam".

M: Sticky, resiny, aftertaste lingers. Good carbonation, excellent mouthfeel.

O: This one is great. One of the top 5 IIPAs I've ever had.

04-29-2011 07:16:31 | More by Krakistophales
Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.