Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 1,851
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.

(Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
Flipadelphia84

4.35/5  rDev -3.1%

A- Poured into a pint glass from a 12oz bottle. A dark gold with a white head.

S- Very citrusy, pineapple, grapefruit. Has almost a sweet malty scent to it (maybe the honey). Are you sure this is 10% ABV?

T- Very much like it smells. Smooth and very balanced. With a name like hopslam you would think it would just smack you in the face, but it is surprisingly mellow. The finish actually ends unlike most Double IPA's I've had. Really really good!

M- It may be me, but it might have the best mouthfeel I've had in a double IPA. Maybe its the honey but it seems just a little thicker on the tongue than most DIPA's.

D- Well, apparently it is 10% ABV. I'm just about finished with my first and my tongue wants more, but my head does not. (I have work in the morning) In other words, "Its extremely delicious, cancel my plans".

02-02-2011 00:52:46 | More by Flipadelphia84
hiphopipa

Maine

4.83/5  rDev +7.6%

Psyched to get my grubby hands on some of these. My 1st Bell's, batch 10127. Thanks to jahuneyc for the trade.
Poured into my Portsmouth Brewery tulip.
Faint haze, but a bright pale yellow gold. Head settles down quickly.
There is so much going on with the aromatics, very pleasant floral aromas with some (mango?) fruit notes.
Fantastic and very unique juicy flavor rich with grapefruit hops. The malt character doesn't stand out, but is present and works with the honey to mellow out the boat load of hops. Bitter and dry finish.
Just awesome and truly unique. Dangerously high drinkability, you quickly forget there is 10%, it's completely masked, but after just drinking half, you're already in a tasty delirious buzz.

02-01-2011 22:54:25 | More by hiphopipa
joshuacavett

4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

Shared this with brandoneast after a few other beers :) Poured from a bottle into tulip glasses. Beautiful hops smell, almost sour smelling. Carbonation was not as good as most Imperial IPA's to me. Bottle was about three weeks old which could have made a difference.

This is my second time to have this beer and I enjoyed it much more this time than the previous (I was rather inexperienced with IPA's on the first go round).

At the very end of the beer, we put sour gumballs into the beer which took away a lot of the smell but made it taste slightly better.

02-01-2011 22:47:53 | More by joshuacavett
Pillowhead

Arizona

4.93/5  rDev +9.8%

Bottle poured into wine glass :).

Smells of grapefruit and other citrus. Very pleasing to the nose.

Appearance was clear gold in color.

Taste - Very smooth at first and a slight tingle going down the pipe. Tastes of grapefruit and honey on the tongue. Although high in alcohol, you wouldn't notice at first. Once you get into the more than one, you'll definitely feel this beer.

One of the finest beers I've ever tasted.

02-01-2011 17:59:25 | More by Pillowhead
champ103

4.22/5  rDev -6%

A big thanks to jenray for the bottle.

A: Pours a bright and golden/copper/orange color. A stunning clarity and brightness. A two finger white head forms with excellent retention. Especially considering the high alcohol. Some patchy lace is left behind.
S: Incredibly fresh. A huge floral, grassy, and citrus aroma. A substantial sweetness in the nose as well. I assume from the honey. Tons of hops for the hop head, but also really well balanced. Which is a treat for me.
T: Up front is plenty of floral and grassy hops. Lots of citrus as well. A great balance of sweetness, but it never takes over the hop presents. Some resiny bitterness lingers.
M/D: A medium to full body. Very crisp and clean. I wish it was a bit more dry though. So easy to drink. No alcohol burn at all, for me anyway. For the high alcohol, and a big hop bomb to boot, I am finishing this in no time.

An excellent Double IPA. I am not a fan of the style, and I really think that Bell's is a bit overrated. Though this is an excellent beer. Highly recommended.

02-01-2011 04:02:27 | More by champ103
Snow81

4.68/5  rDev +4.2%

Appearance: golden orange

Smell: nice floral and citrus notes on the nose

Head: not much head dies out right after the poor

Taste: Great! super hoppy but find when its fresh it seems a bit hot with a mouthfull so this gets better with age...3 years

Weight: has some maltyness to it but still lighter style DIPA

Finish: The hop lingers after for quite a bit with some stickyness going on.

02-01-2011 03:57:18 | More by Snow81
dciBA

Maine

4.15/5  rDev -7.6%

Ok here it is, in my glass, the legendary ad much hyped hopslam. Pours a slightly hazy amber into my snifter. No head whatsoever. Just a little lacing as it goes down.

Lots of grapefruit hops in the nose. No surprise there. There's also a decent amount if sweet malt. One of the more pleasant dipas I've smelled. Taste is similar but the hops are definitely overpowering the malt. I don't have a problem with that. Hop flavor is mostly grapefruit with a nice spiciness as well. After the hop flavor has faded from your palate the malt is left behind which keeps this one fairly well balanced despite the amount of hops. Bitterness is strong but not unbearable, at least not for the seasoned hop head.

Finish is pretty much perfect with just enough sweetness from the hop resin left behind after every sip. Carbonation seems a little low but doesn't bother me. Hhhhmmmm, drinkability, that's a tough one. Plenty of bitterness, plenty if alcohol, but still goes down fairly quick. Overall quite a nice dips. Worth the ridiculous hype? Maybe not. Absolutely glad I was able to get a sixer of this though.

Big thanks to browna71 for the trade.

02-01-2011 00:19:59 | More by dciBA
vissai

4.58/5  rDev +2%

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip

A: Pours a radiant golden color, i think i could have lit up the room with this sparkling bad boy.
S: HOPS! smelled like a bouquet of different hops and flowers. A sweet orange slice dipped in honey aroma lingered also
T: At first you get a rush of the hops, and the after taste is a nice honey and citrus linger followed by a little heat from the high abv. Absolutely beautiful.
M: Slight carbonation and typical DIPA mouth profile
D: Despite the slight burn in the after taste i think this bad boy hides its bite really well. Its the first time my GF has said she enjoyed a DIPA

01-31-2011 22:52:32 | More by vissai
CaptainTripps

Oregon

4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

12 oz bottle poured into a Duvel Tulip

A: Pours a beautiful dark gold/amber color with orange highlights. At pour the beer produced a fluffy off white head; about a finger in half worth.

S: They don't all it Hopslam for nothing, huge amounts of floral hops hit the nose in waves. Pineapple and light citrus notes graze the nose. There is a small amount of honey present. Semi sweet on the nose.

T: Hops, hops, HOPS! Very floral in taste along with sweet honey like aftertones. Nice citrusy notes coming off the tongue; pineapple, mango, and orange.

M: Mouthfeel is very good in this beer. Carbonation isn't over the top, but just right. Beer is very smooth, alcohol *well well* hidden.

D: Pretty dang good beer that you could consume many in one sitting. Gave it a 4.5 because of how i think after a couple the hops and the alcohol might start to ware.

01-31-2011 22:42:12 | More by CaptainTripps
ojdidit

Indiana

4.83/5  rDev +7.6%

One of the most amazing beers I've ever tasted. The stong hop bite is offset by the honey just perfectly. Amazing look, amazing nose, and even more amazing taste.

The citrus smell of the hops is the first thing that hits you, and it hits you hard. If you're an IPA fan, you WILL NOT be disappointed. The taste and the mouthfeel are perfectly balanced for a big double IPA like this.

Save your pennies, $20 bucks for a six-pack. It hurts so good.

01-31-2011 19:50:26 | More by ojdidit
cadizkyguy

Kentucky

4.88/5  rDev +8.7%

Reviewed this beer 2/15/2009 on a batch bottled on 1/20/2009... Gave it a favorable review, yet didn't buy into the hype at that time. So here it goes again. This one was bottled on 1/4/2011 so this is a fair re-do, given both are being reviewed 26 days after bottling.

I guess my taste buds have evolved, because this is a beast of a brew.

Aggressively poured into my Duvel tulip, a billowing white head forms on top of a golden-peach color of a beer.

Smell and taste are unbelievable. The quintessential hop bomb, in smell and taste. Mouthful is also exceptional. Carbonation is barely detectable, but the hops live with every mouthful -- doing a heck of a job clearing my sinuses, too.

This is my second Hopslam tonite. Drinkability is amazing for a 10 percent ABV. Either my taste buds have evolved, or this is a better batch than the 2009 version. Great job, Bell's.

01-31-2011 05:23:47 | More by cadizkyguy
LiquidBread219

Indiana

4.35/5  rDev -3.1%

A= Dark golden yellow looks like it could have some light orange highlights. Nice tight foamy head with some nice lacing.

S= I really smell the hops in this beer. I get some Pineaplle notes, I also get some floral hops in this beer.

T= I get the hops in the taste in the taste the floral hops come out more. Very well balanced really enjoy.

M= Very nice balance, the only thing I dislike about this beer is it slightly chewey.

D= Very drinkable even though it has a high ABV. I always look forward to this time of year because it's one of my favorite beers.

01-31-2011 03:56:54 | More by LiquidBread219
Charlotte09

South Dakota

4.93/5  rDev +9.8%

A: Poured into a pint glass, has an awesome orange/apricot coloring and a small white head about a finger-width thick.

S: AMAZING! The smell makes my mouth water... Can definitely smell citrus hops with some sweet honey notes and a slight hint of orange.

T: Very nice as well, Robust citrus hops taste with a sweet honey after note, but goes along with a slight bitterness. Has no alcohol taste definitely very smooth and delightful!

M: Has almost a velvety feel in the mouth, upfront bitter taste but a very smooth finish.

D: Very very drinkable, its very hard for me to just drink one of these on one sitting! Not a good choice if you only want one beer in an evening...seriously hard to say no to a second...or third! ;)

01-31-2011 03:20:33 | More by Charlotte09
sweett3k

4.83/5  rDev +7.6%

This beer is radical. Hops and honey punch you right in the chops, then reminds you that you should be on some bright and sunny beach drinking a pina coloda but you stuck in Michigan drinking the best thing that ever touched your lips since your first kiss but even better.Taste like the first rain drops that fell from Heaven. Wish I could drink these all day long. Damn it's good. Love to see MICHIGAN beer kicking arse and taking names. Great job Bell's.

01-31-2011 02:41:10 | More by sweett3k
bobsy

Ontario (Canada)

4.18/5  rDev -6.9%

Went over to Viggo's place and the guy let me drink a whole 12oz bottle, which is a testament to his generosity.

Pours a light gold with a slight chill haze and a finger of fluffy white head. Good retention and lace. Piney, weedy, fresh big green hop nose. Somewhat similar to a DFH 60 on steroids, though bizarrely not all that much like DFH 90. Huge green hop flavour, fresh and vibrant. Pine, hop leaf, and then a huge sweet citric fruitiness, with mango and pineapple coming to the fore. A slight dry graininess in the background. Really nicely done, and it hides its alcohol astonishingly well. Moderate body and a creamy carbonation.

Ectremely well-balanced and crafted. It doesn`t blow me away and wouldn`t rank in my top 10 for the style, but man, would I love to have this readily available!

01-31-2011 02:29:30 | More by bobsy
joefuzz

Hopslam

P-5
S-5
T-5
M-5
D-5

Pours beautiful orange gold thin white head great lacing

Smells amazing hops and grapefruit up front with a slight alcohol afterburn

Taste is huge piney hops up front with a nice sugary citrus aftertaste

Mouthfeel is perfect not to heavy not to light just right level of carbonation

Dangerously high drinkability you quickly forget there is 10%abv in these

I have had this in the past but it was a little old, this is a beer to drink fresh. Thanks for the 6 pack Vince.

01-31-2011 00:45:27 | More by joefuzz
MusicaleMike

3.8/5  rDev -15.4%

Consumed on 1-21-11.

I should start by saying that I review beers based on the category that they fall under, not personal preference. The Double IPA category is a competitive one though...

Served in a goblet. Small off-white head which does not have great head retention and dissipates to a wispy lacing. Under this head, a golden body with come cloudiness.

This smells incredible! Juicy hops waft off this beer and coat the entire room with their perfume. An extremely complex hop aroma, which deserves a solid "5 Pints" rating here. Piney, herbal, spearmint, grapefruit, with a sweet honey...and a touch of alcohol in the nose, which contributes its own mark with notes of tropical fruits.

The beers flavor is sort of a let down after the aroma. Very heavy taste of alcohol is the big upset here. The excessive bitterness isn't my thing without something to balance it out, and I am afraid that the combination of extreme bitterness and ethanol isn't what the Double IPA category is all about. Sure, the alcohol should be up there, and 10% is most definitely up there, but everything should be balanced out by the power of malt. To the beer's credit, the beer is not "hot". So it does not lose points for having any burn.

The mouthfeel is quite excellent. Very smooth, and very rich. Carbonation is at a good level for the style. The mouthfeel is certainly a strong point with this brew.

The most difficult part about making a huge beer is trying to make it so that someone is going to come back for more. I could only have one of these in a sitting, but maybe the trick with reviewing the drinkability of a high abv beer is that would you revisit this beer in the future if you had the opportunity? Yes, if it was at the bar where I was dining. Would I go to a bar just because they had it on tap? No.

01-30-2011 22:07:32 | More by MusicaleMike
kbanks13

4.55/5  rDev +1.3%

Got this as an extra from a recent LIF, thanks again Carl!

Poured into a tulip slightly chilled with a golden/honey colored body that had a huge white dense head with great retention and lacing. Smelled like mango and grapefruit, citra hops maybe? Also a good deal of pine and a decent malt bill in the aroma, slight twang of the honey it is brewed with. Taste was immediately resin and pine with citrus fruit cutting through here and there. Sweetness to balance the bitterness from the honey and malts. Surprisingly balanced, but definitely a hop bomb, though not entirely what I expected based on the nose. Slick oily mouthfeel that was coating but not syrupy. Medium to high carbonation. I really enjoyed this, but I think there are other DIPAs I would rather buy.

01-30-2011 21:43:06 | More by kbanks13
djmichaelk

4.7/5  rDev +4.7%

12oz bottle into a perfect pint. 2011 release. I'd had this last year, but wanted to review it when I could have it fresh.

A - Pours a brilliant straw yellow, with just the slightest haze. Big fluffy three fingers of head, receding to a nice cap after a minute or so. Lots of sticky lacing all over the glass. Great looking beer.

S - Wow, this smells great. The aroma explodes out of the glass and fills the room. Tons of fruity smells: grapefruit and mango dominate, but there's also some pine and a little orange. The honey is there, but it's not obvious. I'm impressed.

T - Fantastic. I'm a huge fan of citrusy hops, and this one's gor lots of citrusy hops all over the place. Huge grapefruit and orange flavors, and for some reason I'm getting a rosemary hit in there somewhere along with some pine. Not much in the malt department, which is fine for me. The honey lends a sweetness in the background that keeps the bitter hops from overwhelming the other flavors. All in all, everything melds together for a great blend.

M - The carbonation makes it seem maybe a little light to me. It's reasonably dry going down, but the 10% is fairly well hidden (until you try to walk after three or four bottles). But it could benefit from more aggressive carbonation.

D - Ordinarily I'd never rate a 10% beer this high in D, but this one warrants it. I can't say that I can honestly make it through a six-pack in a sitting, but I *want* to... and that's gotten me into trouble more than once.

O - Well, I can honestly say that this is one of the few beers I've had that have completely lived up to the hype. This is easily shoulder-to-shoulder with Pliny as the pinnacle of DIPAs for me. It's good enough to warrant the price, and I only wish that it was available year-round. I'm happy to be on the east coast again and have this in my fridge, if only for January.

01-30-2011 20:54:59 | More by djmichaelk
tbrown4

Maryland

4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

12 oz. -> Weyerbach tulip. Split a case with Frank from Allentown, PA.

A - Dark gold, light amber, straw color. Thin head, slightly larger than average bubbles.

S - Sweet, pine, citrus, light breadyness

T - Huge burst of flavors immediately. First thing I noticed was how well the hops are balanced out with malt. Same flavors that the aroma gives off. Just a tad of honey sweetness as it finishes.

M - Just thin enough to lightly coat with flavor. Light alcohol warmth.

D - Good to split between two people, not difficult to put back a 12 oz serving solo. I'll continue to get this when I can. Lucky to have friends who always seem to get it for me.

I love this beer. It's completely worth the hype. Though, it's a tad pricey.

01-30-2011 20:46:32 | More by tbrown4
WoodBrew

4.03/5  rDev -10.2%

I have been waiting to try this beer...and worth the wait it was! Local restaurant has this on tap here in teh 'burbs of Chicago is awesome! The beer is slightly cloudy golden with thin head. The aroma was a powerful citrus and pine...everything one would want from an Imperial IPA. The citrus/pine help to balance the 10% ABV....a few of these and one will be slammed!!!! The high alcohol and powerful flavor makes this a tough session beer! Morning after would probably be like having a car deoderizer in your mounth. Stay thirsty my friends!

01-30-2011 19:41:29 | More by WoodBrew
sophisticated

4.35/5  rDev -3.1%

First time trying this. Love the label - a lucky sob is getting body-slammed by a giant hop nugget. What a way to go. Hops + Honey...That's just smart.

The hopslam poured a beautiful orange-amber-honey color with a small fizzy white head and slow-moving carbonation, enjoying their journey through the liquid ambrosia. The smell was strong citrus hops with an underlying malt presence. And the taste - just like the picture. A bountiful hop nugget body slammed on my tongue which puckered in the delightful combination of bitterness, citrus, and honey. A little bit of floral notes too, and very little noticeable alcohol for 10% ABV. It was smooth sailing, a little bit of alcohol warmth, medium bodied, and very good drinkability for such a high level of alcohol.

01-30-2011 17:48:15 | More by sophisticated
wethorseblanket

4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

Pours a hazy orangish sunrise with a small white head which fades quickly to some sparse bubbles around the edge. Gobs of grapefruit, citrus, tangerine, pineapple, and honey flowers dominate the nose. So nice. Bitter citrus hoppy flavors really zing the tongue. Oh so dry but fresh, crisp, and clean. A standout for sure. Very well done.

01-30-2011 07:02:47 | More by wethorseblanket
TheQuietMan22

Iowa

4.53/5  rDev +0.9%

Appearance: Straight pour into a tulip glass. The color is a slightly hazy honey color. One finger of slightly off-white head developed and dissipated quickly to leave a bubbly lacing and ring around the edge. There is some very minor carbonation: one or two bubbles float to the top.

Smell: An invigorating and pleasant grape fruit citrus socked me in the nose. It is mostly citrusy, but there are also aromas of pineapple, pine, caramel, and honey.

Taste: The wait to let it warm a little was agonizing; I could hardly resist the urge to lift the glass to my mouth and pour it in. My first sip was a mouthful of lovely bitterness -- major hop bitterness. It was, however, not overpowering; it let the flavors shine through: grapefruit citrus, pine spice, caramel, and honey. The pineapple element from the smell was there, but its presence was not as strong. A pleasant, bitter aftertaste left my tongue and cheeks tingling and lingered in my throat long after each swallow. The alcohol was completely masked.

Drinkability: Until now I did not think I was a big hophead. However, I wonder if my taste is evolving. Very tasty, good, and drinkable stuff. Get it while you can.

01-30-2011 02:57:51 | More by TheQuietMan22
Bmoyer0301

4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

Appearance:

As I pulled the cap off the bottle I only heard a slight hiss from the carbonation gas. I decided to pour this into my Sam Adams perfect pint glass and was left with a thick and hearty one finger thick bone white head that hung around for the whole pint. As I hold my glass up to the light it appears to be a burnt orange almost honey color that is crystal clear. When I give a swirl the viscosity is pretty thick leaving lasting legs that are running down the walls of my glass.

Smell:

Sweet, bright citrus notes, honey, caramel, lots of pine and other sugars. The middle is filled with all kinds of mango and other tropical fruits which really bring out all that the beer as to offer. There is a tinge of the heat alcohol and strangely enough something that resembles a women s hair salon.

Taste:

Very hoppy but not sharp and bitey but rather smooth and waxy resin leaves a thick coating on your palate which is amazing! Loads of warming alcohol and honey which rounds out the sweetness very well. Caramel and toffee thick chewy malt, lemon skins and more evergreen tree round out the finish.

01-30-2011 01:46:19 | More by Bmoyer0301
Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.