Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 1,853
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.

(Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
cdizinno

South Carolina

4.9/5  rDev +9.1%

Presentation: Poured into a pint glass from a 12oz bottle as pictured. 10094 is the only printed number on the label and unsure as to it's meaning.

A: Golden orange color with a nice white head that leaves a decent amount of lacing all along the glass from top to bottom.

S: More mango in this bottle than what I noticed from a recent growler. Pineapple, piney and citrus hop aromas are fragrant and pleasing. Lots of floral hops and HONEY galore.

T&M: Smooth and full-bodied. Mild bitter hop taste that is well-balanced with the honey sweetness. Finishes slightly dry with a flowery sweetness. Very original!

ABSOLUTE favorite of mine. I wish it was a year rounder!

02-03-2011 23:21:13 | More by cdizinno
engagechad

4.05/5  rDev -9.8%

I received this bottle as a single from a BA ramseye4 in person in Richmond, VA (Thanks! :) )

This beer pours beautifully with an easy to manipulate head. Golden color with hints of amber, only slightly cloudy and perfect carb.
In my opinion the smell on this beer is the MVP of the lineup. It was amazing.. So much so that I think I spent more time smelling the beer than drinking it. It smelled of fresh lemon zest and pine and as it warmed I got notes of warm brown sugar, like fresh cookies which was most likely a result of the honey used in the brewing.
The beer tasted very good, bitter but also smooth however the mouthfeel got a bit harsh nearing the end with the ethanol burn.

Hype is for the most part justified but for a DIPA I would prefer a Ruinition. I would recommend anyone that hasn't had it to seek it out for the nose alone, Bells nailed it.

02-03-2011 15:14:49 | More by engagechad
GeezLynn

4.22/5  rDev -6%

A: Brilliant golden amber with a goopy white head.

S: Fresh floral hops, grapefruit, a little pine, some apple and pear flavor, and sweet caramel malt. Doesn't get much better than this.

T: Flavor is a huge, bitter pine and grapefruit assault on the tongue. A little apple and pear are evident midway through, followed by light caramel malt sweetness. Finish is long, bitter and slightly astringent.

M: Medium body with full carbonation and a crisp dry finish. On the lighter/crisper side for a DIPA.

I've enjoyed the flavor of this beer a little more in years past. Seems a little bit more astringent and alcoholic this year, but maybe it's more a result of my palate adjusting to all the fruity Citra IPAs/DIPAs out there these days. Still an outstanding beer with an unbelievable aroma.

02-03-2011 05:41:44 | More by GeezLynn
Fieldzy27

4.72/5  rDev +5.1%

Appearance-Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Rogue pint glass. I could have put a little more gravity on this pour but i'm sure the beer wont suffer too much. The color of the beer is a fairly light copper with a completely white head. It fizzles away fairly fast but thats sort of expected from a beer thats fresh with a higher abv (this one rings in at 10% by the way). Lots of tiny bubbles running to the surface but unable to save the head from deflating. Looks stellar.

Smell- Right off the bat as soon as I poured this juicy sweet hoppy aromas jump out of the glass with full force. Citrus sweetness and tons of pine resins dominate. Oranges and grapefruit aren't far behind. All of these meld together and smell amazing. The balance in the nose is flawless. No off scents for miles. This smells like a true DIPA with hops all the way through but still a hint of sweetness to keep it all together. Perfect.

Taste- First and foremost hops hops and more hops. Bitter attacks the tongue with violent force and relents quickly followed by more pine and citrus. This then dies to the point of letting hints of sweetness come through only to reveal a hoppy zesty finish that coats the moth with an slightly bitter resinous feeling. Only to be described as a symphony of flavor the different tastes meld together sip after sip. My mouth literally waters after every taste. As it warms a small amount of sweet bready malt comes through and the hops open up even further. The sweetness attempts to create a little more balance only to be denied by the insane hop profile. Perfect.

Mouthfeel-This beer holds one of the best mouthfeels to style as any I have ever tasted. The carbonation is bubbly and full but not fizzy and overbearing. The body of the beer is thick and full but not too much to detract from drinkability. The beer coats your mouth with oils that fade quickly into a tingle that leaves you simply begging for more. Every sip bring you dangerously close to the last one yet you cant stop yourself.Im honestly running out of words here.

Overall- This is truly amazing beer. Bottom line this creation was crafted by the best in the business and it shows. I cant think of one thing to make an improvement on let alone a flaw. A truly welcome tongue lashing of hops that makes beg for another. It drinks like a hopped up 6% beer when it stands tall at 10%. Flawless in ever sense of the word, just the way i'm sure Larry Bell Intended.

02-03-2011 04:55:48 | More by Fieldzy27
ajaxivan

2011 bottle, first six pack i have had the chance to purchase

A: pours a hazy copper color,one finger head recedes quickly, nice lacing

S: Great combination of citrus and pine

T: Citrus, not as sweet as the smell would have you think

M: Pretty dry, good carbination and the 10% is well hidden, i would have guessed 6%

D: I could easily drink many of these in one sitting but the cost of doing so would put me in the poor house. Dont get me wrong this is a great beer but a little overated. Sad to say the hype may have got to me, i am a little dissappointed.

02-03-2011 00:44:38 | More by ajaxivan
gwguest

Kansas

4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a 12oz Sam Adams Perfect Pint.

Pours a very pretty orange / amber which is darker than I was expecting. Foam is comprised of tightly packed small white bubbles. Foam sticks around for a sufficient length of time and size to enjoy it with the beer. Foam leaves a nice sticky, but thin lacing on the glass.

Aroma is strong of citrus with a ribbon of piney simcoish notes. There is a lot going on, but it's a well-crafted aroma. Objectively, it's quite good, and better than most DIPA out there, but I was expecting something more.

Taste is just a solid wall of hops being pushed along by a nice malty backbone. Bitterness, flavor and aroma all work together to really make this beer an enjoyable experience. The hop flavors from the nose are right there in the flavor as well. Some beers pull a bit of a bait and switch where the aroma is disjointed from the flavor, but Hopslam delivers both. The bitterness is spot on to deliver a nicely balanced, yet appropriately bitter beer for a DIPA. The focus is certainly on the hop flavors though. Bell's certainly isn't just throwing hops in the kettle and settling for whatever comes out; this is a well-crafted brew that has a lot of care in it.

The mouthfeel is a bit drier that you might expect, but it's just a bit thicker than a regular IPA which is right where I like 'em.

This beer is dangerously drinkable. I polished off two more after I'd made my tasting notes before taking a better look at the ABV on this one. I could have easily had several more and enjoyed every moment. I'm glad that I double checked the ABV before continuing my evening.

It gets a bit too much hype, but still a fantastic brew.

02-02-2011 23:31:51 | More by gwguest
Lucklys

4.93/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured into my tumbler, it was a crystal clear, bright and sparkling honey-golden-amber color with virtually no visible carbonation. I managed to build a 3-finger head through a vigorous pour, but once it settled, it held a creamy 2-finger white head of fluffy soap bubbles with excellent retention. There was quite a surprising amount of lace that lined the glass in intricate sheets while a thick island of large soapy bubbles mingled with a thin covering of minuscule bubbles that covered the rest of the liquid. Hopslam carried a very nice head for such a huge Double IPA.

My nose was immediately vanquished by the aromas as I poured the beer from the bottle into the tumbler. As soon as I opened the bottle there was an enormous explosion (and I cannot stress how huge this was) of floral, grassy and citrus hops that bombarded my nostrils. The subsequent mushroom cloud offered a rich body of zesty grapefruit, sour orange, tart pineapple and even light melon notes near the edges. All of the hoppy-ness was beautifully rounded out with softer florals, fresh cut grass, and a sweet honey slathered over faint biscuity malts. Somewhere along the process of whiffing all this beer, some hints of pine managed to peek through, but they were far from consistent and stayed fairly well hidden. Overall, the scent was remarkably fresh and green - like walking through a botanical garden on a dry spring day. Even with all of huge aromas and the amount of hops that come out in the nose, nothing in the smell was overwhelming or burned. It may very well be on the best smelling beers I've ever had the pleasure of sniffing.

Once it was finally in my mouth (though, honestly, this was the third Hopslam I've had since it was released), there was a very bitter, tart, but crazy smooth wave of resiny pine flavor - or at least more than what was in the nose, though the zesty orange, grapefruit and even some lemon were definitely alive and kicking. Rather than being sharp and biting, like one might expect from a Double IPA packed with 6 different hop varietals, all of the hops were smoothed out fantastically with the sweet honey and light bready malts. Again, nothing was overwhelming or completely took out the other flavors; everything worked together perfectly, and in doing so, any trace of alcohol that might be expected from a beer with 10% ABV (holy wow) is obliterated. Due to the fact that the alcohol is so well hidden, Hopslam is very, very easy to drink, though being as smooth as it is and so well-rounded doesn't hurt either. I did find that when the drink first hit my lips, it started off dry, but by the time I swallowed, it almost felt slick across my tongue, ending only slightly dry and with a very light bitterness that gradually died away before the next sip. Holding a medium mouthfeel with light carbonation kept it from being spicy, and even though I found it difficult to pick out the alcohol, it definitely started hitting my brain after half the glass.

In complete honesty, if you aren't sure if you're a fan of DIPAs or even IPAs in general, this beer is something I would recommend to all of the fence-sitters. Regardless of the amount of alcohol, both the nose and flavor come together so ridiculously perfectly that you would be hard-pressed to find another beer that might convince you that these two categories are not all that scary.

02-02-2011 21:05:12 | More by Lucklys
alexonate

All 5's my friends. I was fortunate enough to purchase 12 last year. Drank 6 stored the other 6. The grapefruit on the label threw me off when I first purchased it, but it complements the floral notes of the hops perfectly. The citrus couteracting the sweetness of the honey, balancing the hoppyness. I thought Pliny the Elder was great, but for me, this is in a different dimension.

02-02-2011 12:39:17 | More by alexonate
PhatAtUT

4.03/5  rDev -10.2%

A: looks great. rich amber color, nice head, sticky thin lacing.

S: distinct smell unlike the big west coast ipas. tough to put my finger on it. not piney. kind of toasty and fruity.

T: definitely a big beer. very well balanced--more than i expected. big hop flavor, but not overly bitter. reminds me of a souped-up 90 minute. very smooth.

M: perfect. this was the aspect that most impressed me. you can tell its a bigger beer, but its a pleasure to drink.

D: very tasty and smooth, but i can taste and feel the booze. not necessarily a bad thing, and it doesnt detract from the taste at all, but i dont think i could handle more than 2.

overall, very good beer but i was not blown away. would rather have a fresh pliny every time.

02-02-2011 04:18:57 | More by PhatAtUT
headbucket

A:a nice golden color, minimal head and just a few splotches of lace left on the glass.

S:lovely sweet tropical, fruit scents.

T: follows the smell closely:sweet, candied tropical fruits. A nice fresh, fruity hop flavor at first, with thebitterness coming at the end and lingering. A bit of malt and maybe a touch of honey in the middle. Sweet, but not obnoxiously sweet like a lot of other double ipas.

M:medium to semi-thick, fills the mouth nicely, medium carbonation.

D:very nice. Alcohol doesn't show itself very much, and not overly sweet like many other dipas, fresh, fruity hop flavor overpowers the sweetness. Not extremly bitter either. A nice sipper, but is going down easy for its strength. Not my favorite beer sttyle, but hopslam is near the top of my dipa list.

02-02-2011 03:15:44 | More by headbucket
drewba

4.6/5  rDev +2.4%

A - This is shining see through gold with a fluffy, bubbly white head. The head sinks to big white bubbles with patches of sticky lacing.

S - Highly floral, highly citrus bouquet; lemon, mango, tangerine, orange. Hints of pine, caramel, bread and booze. Had the alcohol aroma not been there, it'd be perfect.

T - BUCKETS of pineapple, lemon, lime, mango, and tangerine wet, juicy, slightly sweet yet slightly bitter hop goodness. The finish brings semi bitter grapefruit, pine and a grass afterthought. All throughout the hop stages, a hint of honey, caramel and cracker is helping balance this one out. I hate to be that guy, but It's worth noting the huge citrus qualities have faded noticeably; there is more grapefruit and pine bitter and dryness now versus days old.

M - Creamy small bubbles are doing the trick. Very smooth, rich mouthfeel without having too much body makes me happy.

D - Crisp, refreshing, juicy body, hardly a hint of alcohol in the taste. At 10% this is a recipe for disaster, but damn is it drinkable. Seriously, this should have a government warning on the label.

02-02-2011 03:01:56 | More by drewba
cosmicevan

4.08/5  rDev -9.1%

cracking my first taste of hopslam (thanks klevelandrocks for the amazing extra!!!)

A - Poured a sparkly deep honey orange with a single finger head into my oversized snifter. Looked like a nice rich IPA. Steady and even bubbling from the bottom.

S - HopSLAM!!!! Really amazing smelling beer. Nicely balanced, soft pine...not as sticky as I had expected. Candy, banana, bubblegum...all blended with a citric undertone. Could smell it all day.

T - Wow...super bitter. Starts with hops...almost like sucking on a pine cone. Finishes with a vanilla alcohol. Hopefully I won't be hunted down and strung up from the nearest tree, but I find the flavor good, but not great. The hops are so over the top, my palette hurts. Took me a while to get used to the intensity.

M - Alcohol bite with a cooling bittery aftertaste.

D - I'll be honest...it's a bit over the top for me. The way that this beer is praised and put side-by-side with much better balanced beers really made me expect another sublimely balanced hoppy IPA. The smell is there, but the rest is just kind of like a SN Pale Ale on steroids (and I quite like SNPA as it is). I enjoyed this and will probably look around for it when it hits shelves again next year...but I'm fine with the few bottles I got as extras. Not necessarily something I'd go nuts for.

*** ** * ** ***
edit 2012-01-24 - first take on this years' bottle dated 12/29 (thanks Marti403 for hooking it up!)

a - poured a murkly cloudy deep amber orange with a finger of frothy ipa head into my urthel tulip. sticky streaky lacing. feel the same - 4.5

s - same amazing smell.

t - amazing what a year does to one's palette. i've definitely become more of a hophead. the flavors are the same, but the bitterness seems toned back (probably due to my palette developing to enjoy that more). this time, i'd give it a 4.5

m - 4

o - definitely more of an ipa fan this time around and this is a fantastic example of an amazing ipa. i don't think i would put this above pliny or even lunch, but it is a hell of a beer. - 4.5

02-02-2011 03:00:02 | More by cosmicevan
jeffaz02t

3.65/5  rDev -18.7%

A: Light amber with an off-white head. Laces throughout the glass.

S: Hops, Hops and then a few more HOPS. A slightly honey and flower and a slight caramel malt smell.

T: Starts with a heavy dosage of citrusy hops and a peppery spice, fades into a honey-like sweetness, then finishes with a heavy bitter hops and a slight caramel sweetness and the alcohol makes itself know at this point . Bitterness lingers for quite some time after a sip.

M: On the lighter side for a beer of this ABV tends to be. Light carbonation.

D: This is 10% abv? This is the most drinkable beer over 9% abv I have ever had.

Notes: Usually a beer as hyped as Hopslam ends up being overrated. This is not the case here. This beer is all I thought it would be and then some!

02-02-2011 01:47:58 | More by jeffaz02t
Flipadelphia84

4.35/5  rDev -3.1%

A- Poured into a pint glass from a 12oz bottle. A dark gold with a white head.

S- Very citrusy, pineapple, grapefruit. Has almost a sweet malty scent to it (maybe the honey). Are you sure this is 10% ABV?

T- Very much like it smells. Smooth and very balanced. With a name like hopslam you would think it would just smack you in the face, but it is surprisingly mellow. The finish actually ends unlike most Double IPA's I've had. Really really good!

M- It may be me, but it might have the best mouthfeel I've had in a double IPA. Maybe its the honey but it seems just a little thicker on the tongue than most DIPA's.

D- Well, apparently it is 10% ABV. I'm just about finished with my first and my tongue wants more, but my head does not. (I have work in the morning) In other words, "Its extremely delicious, cancel my plans".

02-02-2011 00:52:46 | More by Flipadelphia84
hiphopipa

Maine

4.83/5  rDev +7.6%

Psyched to get my grubby hands on some of these. My 1st Bell's, batch 10127. Thanks to jahuneyc for the trade.
Poured into my Portsmouth Brewery tulip.
Faint haze, but a bright pale yellow gold. Head settles down quickly.
There is so much going on with the aromatics, very pleasant floral aromas with some (mango?) fruit notes.
Fantastic and very unique juicy flavor rich with grapefruit hops. The malt character doesn't stand out, but is present and works with the honey to mellow out the boat load of hops. Bitter and dry finish.
Just awesome and truly unique. Dangerously high drinkability, you quickly forget there is 10%, it's completely masked, but after just drinking half, you're already in a tasty delirious buzz.

02-01-2011 22:54:25 | More by hiphopipa
joshuacavett

4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

Shared this with brandoneast after a few other beers :) Poured from a bottle into tulip glasses. Beautiful hops smell, almost sour smelling. Carbonation was not as good as most Imperial IPA's to me. Bottle was about three weeks old which could have made a difference.

This is my second time to have this beer and I enjoyed it much more this time than the previous (I was rather inexperienced with IPA's on the first go round).

At the very end of the beer, we put sour gumballs into the beer which took away a lot of the smell but made it taste slightly better.

02-01-2011 22:47:53 | More by joshuacavett
Pillowhead

4.93/5  rDev +9.8%

Bottle poured into wine glass :).

Smells of grapefruit and other citrus. Very pleasing to the nose.

Appearance was clear gold in color.

Taste - Very smooth at first and a slight tingle going down the pipe. Tastes of grapefruit and honey on the tongue. Although high in alcohol, you wouldn't notice at first. Once you get into the more than one, you'll definitely feel this beer.

One of the finest beers I've ever tasted.

02-01-2011 17:59:25 | More by Pillowhead
champ103

4.22/5  rDev -6%

A big thanks to jenray for the bottle.

A: Pours a bright and golden/copper/orange color. A stunning clarity and brightness. A two finger white head forms with excellent retention. Especially considering the high alcohol. Some patchy lace is left behind.
S: Incredibly fresh. A huge floral, grassy, and citrus aroma. A substantial sweetness in the nose as well. I assume from the honey. Tons of hops for the hop head, but also really well balanced. Which is a treat for me.
T: Up front is plenty of floral and grassy hops. Lots of citrus as well. A great balance of sweetness, but it never takes over the hop presents. Some resiny bitterness lingers.
M/D: A medium to full body. Very crisp and clean. I wish it was a bit more dry though. So easy to drink. No alcohol burn at all, for me anyway. For the high alcohol, and a big hop bomb to boot, I am finishing this in no time.

An excellent Double IPA. I am not a fan of the style, and I really think that Bell's is a bit overrated. Though this is an excellent beer. Highly recommended.

02-01-2011 04:02:27 | More by champ103
Snow81

4.68/5  rDev +4.2%

Appearance: golden orange

Smell: nice floral and citrus notes on the nose

Head: not much head dies out right after the poor

Taste: Great! super hoppy but find when its fresh it seems a bit hot with a mouthfull so this gets better with age...3 years

Weight: has some maltyness to it but still lighter style DIPA

Finish: The hop lingers after for quite a bit with some stickyness going on.

02-01-2011 03:57:18 | More by Snow81
dciBA

Maine

4.15/5  rDev -7.6%

Ok here it is, in my glass, the legendary ad much hyped hopslam. Pours a slightly hazy amber into my snifter. No head whatsoever. Just a little lacing as it goes down.

Lots of grapefruit hops in the nose. No surprise there. There's also a decent amount if sweet malt. One of the more pleasant dipas I've smelled. Taste is similar but the hops are definitely overpowering the malt. I don't have a problem with that. Hop flavor is mostly grapefruit with a nice spiciness as well. After the hop flavor has faded from your palate the malt is left behind which keeps this one fairly well balanced despite the amount of hops. Bitterness is strong but not unbearable, at least not for the seasoned hop head.

Finish is pretty much perfect with just enough sweetness from the hop resin left behind after every sip. Carbonation seems a little low but doesn't bother me. Hhhhmmmm, drinkability, that's a tough one. Plenty of bitterness, plenty if alcohol, but still goes down fairly quick. Overall quite a nice dips. Worth the ridiculous hype? Maybe not. Absolutely glad I was able to get a sixer of this though.

Big thanks to browna71 for the trade.

02-01-2011 00:19:59 | More by dciBA
vissai

4.58/5  rDev +2%

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip

A: Pours a radiant golden color, i think i could have lit up the room with this sparkling bad boy.
S: HOPS! smelled like a bouquet of different hops and flowers. A sweet orange slice dipped in honey aroma lingered also
T: At first you get a rush of the hops, and the after taste is a nice honey and citrus linger followed by a little heat from the high abv. Absolutely beautiful.
M: Slight carbonation and typical DIPA mouth profile
D: Despite the slight burn in the after taste i think this bad boy hides its bite really well. Its the first time my GF has said she enjoyed a DIPA

01-31-2011 22:52:32 | More by vissai
CaptainTripps

Oregon

4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

12 oz bottle poured into a Duvel Tulip

A: Pours a beautiful dark gold/amber color with orange highlights. At pour the beer produced a fluffy off white head; about a finger in half worth.

S: They don't all it Hopslam for nothing, huge amounts of floral hops hit the nose in waves. Pineapple and light citrus notes graze the nose. There is a small amount of honey present. Semi sweet on the nose.

T: Hops, hops, HOPS! Very floral in taste along with sweet honey like aftertones. Nice citrusy notes coming off the tongue; pineapple, mango, and orange.

M: Mouthfeel is very good in this beer. Carbonation isn't over the top, but just right. Beer is very smooth, alcohol *well well* hidden.

D: Pretty dang good beer that you could consume many in one sitting. Gave it a 4.5 because of how i think after a couple the hops and the alcohol might start to ware.

01-31-2011 22:42:12 | More by CaptainTripps
ojdidit

Indiana

4.83/5  rDev +7.6%

One of the most amazing beers I've ever tasted. The stong hop bite is offset by the honey just perfectly. Amazing look, amazing nose, and even more amazing taste.

The citrus smell of the hops is the first thing that hits you, and it hits you hard. If you're an IPA fan, you WILL NOT be disappointed. The taste and the mouthfeel are perfectly balanced for a big double IPA like this.

Save your pennies, $20 bucks for a six-pack. It hurts so good.

01-31-2011 19:50:26 | More by ojdidit
cadizkyguy

Kentucky

4.88/5  rDev +8.7%

Reviewed this beer 2/15/2009 on a batch bottled on 1/20/2009... Gave it a favorable review, yet didn't buy into the hype at that time. So here it goes again. This one was bottled on 1/4/2011 so this is a fair re-do, given both are being reviewed 26 days after bottling.

I guess my taste buds have evolved, because this is a beast of a brew.

Aggressively poured into my Duvel tulip, a billowing white head forms on top of a golden-peach color of a beer.

Smell and taste are unbelievable. The quintessential hop bomb, in smell and taste. Mouthful is also exceptional. Carbonation is barely detectable, but the hops live with every mouthful -- doing a heck of a job clearing my sinuses, too.

This is my second Hopslam tonite. Drinkability is amazing for a 10 percent ABV. Either my taste buds have evolved, or this is a better batch than the 2009 version. Great job, Bell's.

01-31-2011 05:23:47 | More by cadizkyguy
LiquidBread219

Indiana

4.35/5  rDev -3.1%

A= Dark golden yellow looks like it could have some light orange highlights. Nice tight foamy head with some nice lacing.

S= I really smell the hops in this beer. I get some Pineaplle notes, I also get some floral hops in this beer.

T= I get the hops in the taste in the taste the floral hops come out more. Very well balanced really enjoy.

M= Very nice balance, the only thing I dislike about this beer is it slightly chewey.

D= Very drinkable even though it has a high ABV. I always look forward to this time of year because it's one of my favorite beers.

01-31-2011 03:56:54 | More by LiquidBread219
Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.