Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 1,940
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.

(Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
4.13/5  rDev -8%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter glass.

Look - slightly light amber color, with about two fingers worth of off-white colored foam that dissipates slowly. Fairly clear.

Smell - wow, indeed extremely hoppy (smells like Cascade hops, mostly) as the name suggests. Toned down by a hint of something sweet...for some reason grapefruit comes to mind.

Taste and Mouthfeel - Still very hoppy-tasting, but not as bitter as I was expecting. I still taste something sweeter, but still slightly bitter throughout like grapefruit. Bitterness is most intense in the finish, but the aftertaste is mellow. Texture is very well-balanced.

Drinkability - maybe not a favorite of mine because I don't love bitter beers, but still very good in style, complexity, interesting progression. Very good brew!

Nerudamann, Mar 08, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -8.7%

So here it is, Hopslam. I was going to wait till next years release because I love hoppy beers, but I hate when they sit for a time and lose the hop aroma and flavor. I saw this at the bottle shop yesterday though and couldn't pass it up. No bottled date but this came out a little over a month ago. Served in a Weyerbacher tulip.

A- A bubbly orange marmelade brew pours into the tulip. Nice carbonation rising to meet a moon crater head. Some yellow and honey undertones in the color of this. As I fill the glass it becomes hazy and cloudy. Slight bits of spotty lacing are present.

S- The aroma seems to still be fairly present in a hoppy beer. Upfront is a great blend of citrus, sticky grapefruit, lemon, hop cones, and sweetness, most likely from the honey. Great smelling DIPA.

T- Taste follows the aroma somewhat, but I feel this has lost its hop kick. Taste is grapefruit in the beginning, then transitions into some flor hop flavors. A sweet honey pulls strongly as the flavors roll across the tongue, and the end is a blend of lemon and lime, and a tingey bitterness. Not as hop forward as 106 IBU's would suggest, but I think this lost freshness. Alcohol is almost non existent.

M- Mouthfeel is somewhat buttery. The aftertaste leaves a piney zesty feel on the tongue, along with the bitterness provided from the amount of hops. There is a slight amount of heat to hint at the abv.

D- Despite this having lost some of its hop freshness, or at least what I have concluded, this is still really drinkable. The abv is not tasted but felt a little in the mouth. I'd love to try this fresh and might re-review this next year. It's a drink now or forever your hops are weak if you wait too long with these beers. I'd like to chalk up a win for Nugget Nectar against this(even though not a DIPA) but I'll have to revisit this in the future when fresh.

haazer, Mar 07, 2011
4.03/5  rDev -10.2%

Batch Finder on Bell's Website says this was bottled on 1/3/2011
Finally getting to try this courtesy of AleLovinRuskie (thanks Adam)
Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Cigar City Snifter. Half-finger head with some decent lacing, nothing too serious though. Color is a gorgeous burnt orange/pale copper.

Smell is of boozy citrusy hops, mild pine resin towards the back.

Taste is of stone fruits up front with hoppy citrus bitterness in the middle with the pine and resin as found in the nose along with some floral flavors and a kiss of honey that somehow adds a perfect amount of subtle sweetness to the malts towards the finish, complex yet simplistically balanced.

Very interesting mouth feel. Very lively flavors that linger well into the aftertaste. A symphony of carbonation and sweet/bitter balance that sings as it washes down.

This brew is dangerously drinkable. Bitterness covers up the heat even though I could smell a faint bit of it in the nose at first. Very well done. So glad I got to try this.

Side note:
After the first few sips, I let this warm up considerably before really focusing on it for review. Although the flavors became more apparent, so did the heat to a minor extent. Not saying it "hurt" the beer at all in my ratings, just thought it was worth pointing out. And also that I enjoyed it even more after it had thawed out a bit...Cheers Bell's!

Fluke828, Mar 07, 2011
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

Batch #10127. Got in a trade from Schriebeers. Thanks man! I guess this is about two months old so not ideal. Pours a really nice amber color with a small white head. Pine, pineapple and honey on the nose. Definitely a lot of hops and not much malt. The taste is exceptional. Hops, hops and more hops. The honey really shines through and is pretty drinkable for 10% ABV. I would really love to try this fresh. On the other hand I wonder what it would taste like with a few years on it. A great beer!

travis224, Mar 07, 2011
4.63/5  rDev +3.1%

A - Nice orangey copper color. Frothy head with nice lacing.

S - One of the best smelling beers I've had the pleasure of enjoying. Rarely do I sit so long with my nose in a glass. Lots of citrusy, hoppy goodness with notes of grapefruit and honey.

T - For a split second it seems like the beer might be overly bitter, and then all the other flavors quickly build. Honey, malt, and citrus all balance out with the hops.

M - Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation. The beer is smooth and crisp, leaving a nice dry finish.

D - One of the most drinkable DIPAs you will find. You'll only realize the ABV is 10% when you try to stand up.

LordSMAF, Mar 07, 2011
3.43/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Had on cask at Pizzeria Paradiso. Had a few hopslams during the past couple of months, bottled. Went into Paradiso and found they had it available in a cask, and had to give it a go.

Comparing it casked to bottled, it's pretty much what you'd think. Less carbonation and chill, and thus a little more flavor poking through. All the same, I prefer it bottled. The heaviness of the beer and the intensity of its honey-hopped notes lend themselves to some cooler-carbonated levity. I'm really glad I had the chance to grab this casked, since it really does allow you to get at some of those notes a little more accurately, but the trade off in drinkability I think sends the beer over the edge.

petacutlasaurus, Mar 06, 2011
3.83/5  rDev -14.7%

Oh damn, any regrets that I may have had in not going to Philly for the fest at the shipyard evaporated when I saw this on the table yesterday (Central PA Bottle Share, Sa, 05 Mar 2011). As the late Mickey Spillane would have said, "I creamed my jeans"! I was so cowed by its presence that I had to ask ffejherb for permission to open it, to which he enthusiastically assented. I had to read the directions, because if I screwed the pooch, I would be a pariah and it was so early on. The big Q for me was the initial venting, but I remembered the pull, twist and pour from my Best Brown in the Fall.

I got a finger-and-a-half of soapy ecru head with decent retention off of my pour. Color was a solid amber with NE-quality clarity. BUPGOO! Yeah, give this to the kiddies. Nose was so piney that I began to swoon. It was, in my addled mind, like licking a pine tree. Mouthfeel was medium and the hops had already begun to mute, so the taste was heavier on caramel malt, but I still got some hops on the tongue. The finish was likewise caramel-like initially, nut lingering with hops. Dang, but I would like to try this absolutely fresh! No matter, I CAN now die h(a/o)ppy, having had some. Did I mention the excellent lacing throughout? Glug!

woodychandler, Mar 06, 2011
4.35/5  rDev -3.1%

Group tasting notes from 2-18-11
Poured out of a bottle. January release.
Served in oversize wine glass.

A- Pours a hazy yellow/green color. Small about of head and lacing.

S- Citrus scents right off the bat, orange, grapefruit. This gives way to a good back end hop scent.

M - Light but carbonated mouthfeel, for the heavy scent it doesn't coat the mouth.

T- I had personally had some hopslam when it first came out back in January and I could definitely tell the hops had faded since then. That being said, still a hoppy beer. Just like the scent, you get the great citrus taste on the front, then you get the hoppiness.

Food pairing- We paired it with spicy pork tacos and spicy buffalo wings. The pork was too big for the hopslam, the wings really didn't do anything either.

Overall: The beer didn't convert our non-ipa fans that were good sports and participated. Those who did like it described it as a good summertime sipping beer. Others likened it to "mixing Oberon with Two-Hearted.

Gunslinger711, Mar 06, 2011
4.2/5  rDev -6.5%

golden/orange color with solid white head. excellent lacing. pretty much transparent with none of the particles I've read in the reviews.

The smell is intense from the moment I cracked the bottle and sitting 2 feet away from me (as I take a picture of the poured beer and it's bottle) I still smell the hops intensely. big fruity hops, with tropical fruits and citrus coming through.

The taste is sweet, with some nice hoppiness, but almost no bitterness at all. It's obvious the hops are potent in this, but the honey and sweetness seems to mellow it some.

mouthfeel is lively and light to medium bodied. some lingering aftertaste after each sip.

This is a very nice beer. The ABV is hidden fairly well though not entirely and the sweetness is welcome here. Reminiscent of a nugget nectar but with a stronger hop bill and bigger ABV. Still a true DIPA. Definitely happy I tried this. Only wish I had more than just the one bottle.

Blanco, Mar 06, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +3.6%

A - Pours a bright slightly hazy copper-orange color with a finger of white frothy head. The retention was okay, wit ha nice ring forming around the glass with some lacing.

S - Tons of citrus and hop flavor with lots of grapefruit and orange aromas. There is also some sweet honey and carmel malt flavors blended in as well.

T - Starts off with some building hop bitterness with some citrus flavors (lots of grapefruit) building alongside. Also some nice sweet honey and carmel malts flavors mixed in for a nice balanced. Through the middle some nice bitterness comes through alongside some more citrus flavor and some piney flavor. The finish is a very nice blend of the carmel malts, some citrus flavor, and some honey flavor which lingers nicely with some bitterness.

M - Medium-full bodied with moderate lively carbonation. Really smooth and crisp in the mouth. Finish leaves a really dry finish in the mouth alongside the bitterness which is really nice.

D - Very drinkable. The 10% abv here is nowhere to be found. The balance here is fantastic and the hop profile is really really nice.

ngeunit1, Mar 05, 2011
4.58/5  rDev +2%

Big thanks to betsona and coenbd, both sent me bottles this week.

12 oz bottle Batch 10126 poured into a snifter

A- Bright clear orange/copper color with a very small head.

S- Big citrus/tropical hops, hint of honey and a touch of alcohol.

T- Big citrus hops up front, piney bitter hops in the finish with a hint of honey. Could use a little bit more of a malt backbone, but still very balanced.

M- Smooth, crisp, refreshing

D- Very easy to drink and the 10% alcohol is only slightly noticeable in the smell. A great DIPA I wish I could by it near me!

larryi86, Mar 05, 2011
4.58/5  rDev +2%

On cask at Pints & Quarts in Muskegon during a Bell's Takeover the Taps event, 3 March 2011.

This pours orange peel orange with a slight haze, just a ring of head or so. The guy next to me was drinking the same thing, though, and he had a finger of frothy white head that left good lacing, so I think it was just the pour that wasn't great on mine. On the nose the two most prominent notes to me were oranges and honey. It wasn't overpowering in intensity. There was some dry malt backbone lingering under the honey, but it was mostly the citrus aromas coming through. In the mouth, there is citrus, mostly orange but some grapefruit, too. But the real kicker here was honey, an absolutely amazing honey note that hit the tongue right away and stuck around with the bitterness through the long finish. It was medium bodied, not quite as large as I thought it might be, and totally put-away-able. My pint disappeared quickly.

This on cask was one of the best beers I've ever had.

EricCioe, Mar 04, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +3.6%

Presentation: 12 oz. bottle poured into a Sam Adams pint glass. Batch #10101, bottled January 4th, 2011.

Appearance: Light orange in color. Pours a nice two finger white head with above average retention.

Aroma: Pineapple, tropical fruit, and honey notes really make up the main flavors here. A touch of bitter pine in the background as well.

Taste: Tropical fruits (pineapple and mango) create a new backdrop. The honey adds a nice sweetness to enhance the fruit notes. A small bit of pine and bitter hops toward the end, but at this point in its shelf life, the fruit definitely overpowers it. A very slight malt presence, but it is not a main component.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied and lush. Nicely carbonated. Perfect for a double IPA in my opinion.

Drinkability: The balance of sweet and hoppy is perfect for me. The ABV is ridiculously well hidden. Definitely is not a chore to put down three or four bottles of this.

Overall, a great, balanced imperial IPA. I loved the tropical fruit notes and the prevailing sweetness. I can only imagine this is even more impressive fresh.

Gosox8787, Mar 04, 2011
3.95/5  rDev -12%

12oz poured into a Lost Abbey snifter.

A: Pours a hazy golden/copper color with a one finger off-white head that quickly dissipates and settles to a sticky ring, leaving considerable lacing behind.

S: Grapefruit, pineapple, hops, and a slight caramel sweetness. That's about all that's there, but there's plenty of it and it smells amazing.

T: Grapefruit and a slight caramel sweetness right up front and then quickly shifts to a quite bitter hoppy/piney finish that really lingers. Much less complex and balanced than some of the other DIPAs I've had lately.

M: Thinner than expected, with only a slight, slight bit of creaminess. Bitter and drying with really no hint of alcohol anywhere.

D: Moderate drinkability, although the bitterness makes it a sipper. I could put a few of these down, but it might take a bit of time.

Overall, this was just mediocre in my opinion. I think I ruined this by having some really exceptional IPAs within the last couple of weeks, and this really didn't compare. Less complex, flavorful, and off balance a bit. Not bad, but I have no problem waiting another year for this one, and probably won't think about it much between now and then.

Mississipping, Mar 04, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +3.6%

Great big thick creamy head. Dissolves gradually and leaves tremendous lacing the whole way down. Orange colored beer of average clarity.

Smells exceptional. Hops & honey. Powerful, awesome. Incredible mouthfeel, smooth and creamy. Extraordinarily drinkable for such a high ABV. The alcohol is completely masked.

Hops hit you up front and then there's sweet malts too, and an amazing smooth honey finish. The unique blend of hops, honey, drinkability and high ABV make this beer a true standout.

jar2574, Mar 04, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -6%

A: Pours a clear honey colored orangish-yellow with a thick head that took its time leaving. Did a decent job of lacing the glass.

S: A dankness sits on top of strong pine notes. Could be my imagination from the label but I swear I get honey notes too. Some grapefruit but mostly pine.

T: Strong bite in this beer and a fizziness on the tongue. Lots of grapefruit and much more than the scent led on. The finish is quite sweet and again I swear I get honey. The bite is balanced by subdued pine and sweetness. I get the 10% ABV after letting a sip settle. Warm.

M: Medium. Not syrupy. Fizzy and full.

D: As a DIPA this is pretty drinkable for me. The sweetness doesnt offend and would order another.

No doubt this is a very well crafted beer but something was missing for me to set it apart as exceptional.

legalpete19340, Mar 04, 2011
4.63/5  rDev +3.1%

Served in a tulip at Jaks Tap.

A: Cloudy orange with a dense white head that sticks around and leaves ample lacing.

S: Loads of tropical fruit and sweet citrus, tangerine, and a little bit of pine. Very juicy and appetizing.

T: This beer is all about the hops. Lots of tropical fruit, more tangerine, moderate bitterness, and sweet maltiness and honey in the finish.

M: Heavy mouthfeel and a little sticky.

D: An excellent DIPA. It's a little sweet fort taste, but I would love to have another.

hacienda, Mar 03, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -6%

Poured a light orange color with a thin amount of head. The nose was a mix of piney and citrusy hops, lots of hops. The taste was a ton of hop bitterness with a light amount of sweetness. It was nicely carbonated with a bunch of bubbles coating the toungue as it goes down. The alcohol was very well hidden as I had no clue that this was 10% until I glanced at the bottle again. However, there was also a lot of dryness to it that made it a little difficult to drink as I got farther down the class.

Overall this was definitely one of the better double ipas I've had, however even knowing that it's a big beer I wish it was still a little more drinkable.

jonvan04, Mar 03, 2011
4.18/5  rDev -6.9%

A- 4.5 Hopslam is a pretty light orange color and can barely be seen through. It has lots of bubbles and a nice, sticky white head that clings to the glass. An aggressive pour gave it 1-2 fingers. There is high lacing with this one.

S- 4.5 Hops, hops, hops... And a sweet citrus. There's a hint of pine as well. It's a very intense but welcoming scent. It would be agonizing to smell this and not be able to try it!

T- 4 As it smells, the hops are dominant. However, they are balanced out considerably well by a honey and citrus blend. This is a good tasting powerfully-hopped ale. It can leave you puckering. It's also just slightly boozy on the finish (though not bad considering its 10% ABV).

M- 4.5 Great medium body and carbonation with this brew. It is velvety and smooth (once you forget about the taste for a second and concentrate on the feel it's quite good). Only a tinge of syrup as it goes down but this seems to fit.

D- 4 This beer is pretty drinkable for its style. This is a matter of personal preference for me; I'm not the biggest hop-head out there but as imperial IPAs go I could drink as many of these as any. It definitely has a 'kick' to it, though, so be careful! Always an annual treat worth picking up.

KYBrewgrass, Mar 03, 2011
2.6/5  rDev -42.1%

A: Poured a nice deep golden, almost copper color.

S: The nose is great...pretty much all hops. Good blend of earthy, pungent with a touch of citrusy strains in there too.

T: Way too dry for the hop level, way off balance. Bitterness is just harsh and overpowering. Very hot and boozy on the swallow. I know the beer is 10% ABV, but I really think you can brew a much smoother beer at this level.
Too much honey...it doesn't add anything but dryness. And too much at that. I can see what they were trying to accomplish, but it was just too dry for the hop level. Overall, the beer just comes off as an overly bitter, one note flavor.

M: Nice body, good carbonation level. Everything is OK here.

D: Again, the booziness and bitterness make this beer tough to throw back. I like DIPA's...I've even had very quaffable ones that are around 9-10%. But I put this beer down after two sips and a friend took over.

OrangeCharlie, Mar 03, 2011
3.83/5  rDev -14.7%

12 oz. bottle

A: clear, light golden hue with a light head

S: hops, citrus, pine, grapefruit

T: sweet on front of tongue, alcoholic middle, and a citrus, grapefruit zest finish; hoppiness in back of mouth

M/D: bitter, sip one bottle slowly, very strong but very tasty

fastpass17, Mar 03, 2011

It's my favorite beer in the world (after overtaking Two Hearted Ale after a few tries).

A - golden, pleasant to look at, very little head that dissipates quickly

S - slightly fruity with a smell of honey, it is pleasant to the senses - unlike some other "beers," Hopslam does not smell of alcohol despite its high ABV

T - Fruit to honey to hops, leaving you begging for more. The after-taste is great if you like hops or honey, but if you don't like either of those, then it's not for you.

M - Scintillating for the taste-buds, the spot-on mix of carbonation, alcohol, and honey is quite pleasant and most certainly doesn't turn your mouth.

D - Sails right down...two or three of these and you're easily done for the night, but because of the alcohol content and not drinkability issues.

Hockeyfan1189, Mar 03, 2011
3.98/5  rDev -11.4%

A - A darker honey gold with clean white head, one finger of head poured into a chalice. Not a great amount of lacing.

S- Fairly strong grapefruit up front, weaved in with some distinct peach. Gives way to a definite honey aroma. I picked up a pretty significant dank aroma as well, somewhat of a sulfurous smell, like rotting plants.

T - Fruity, juicy hops hit first, grapefruit and mango. The honey is very prevalent, this one is quite sweet in the middle, lingering alcohol burn on the end. I actually felt like the booze hit pretty hard, but it wasn't overwhelming.

Mouthfeel- Plenty of body, oily hops, and chewiness here...it feels like a big beer.

Drinkability- Good for a DIPA, definitely not a hopbomb for me and would be easy to enjoy a few.

chilly460, Mar 02, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

Served in a 10oz tulip at Fiddler's Hearth.

A- Pours a clear honey color. Two inch head of egg-shell white that dissipates into a thin covering. Plenty of lacing on the glass throughout the drink. Little visible carbonation.

S- Floral and citrus hops dominate with a piney hop that is harder to pick up. Hints of honey come through nicely. No smell of alcohol. Smells refreshing.

T- Wonderful. Grapefruit punch accompanied by lemony tastes. Smooth honey finish that distinguishes Hopslam from other DIPAs. It is smooth throughout with enough bitterness to be pleasant, but not enough to dominate the taste profile.

M- Not much carbonation to a medium body. Seems thicker at times when I have had it in bottle.

D- I look forward to Hopslam every year and don't mind the price. Nice perk to living near Kzoo is Bell's addition of Hopslam during the summer. I drink multiple snifters when given a chance and rarely grow tired of it.

betsona, Mar 02, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -9.8%

Outside of a handful of beers, such as PtE and Dark Lord, there are few beers that are as hyped as Hopslam. Though good, I just feel like it isn't deserving of the devotion this beer inspires. This is coming from someone that had friends drive 2 hours to a distributor to buy cases and a mini-keg from a distributor (I live in PA). I think that the beer has a very nice hoppy aroma, but is it better than most good, fresh DIPA (probably not). There are smells of wildflower meadow, spruce resin, grapefruit rind, and sweet orange. The beer is definitely hoppy, but the flavor doesn't jump out at me as the best I've ever had. The honey definitely is present in the flavor, but it has a bit of an artificial McDonald's "honey" tanginess. The beer is too thin with too much alcohol (probably from the added honey) that is definitely present on the tongue that contributes to the perceived bitterness of the beer. The beer is tasty and finishing 1 or 2 is not a problem. But you'll definitely suffer palate fatigue after about half a glass from the alcohol and hops and then you won't really know what you're tasting afterwards.

Soonami, Mar 02, 2011
Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.