Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 1,884
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.

(Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
3.85/5  rDev -14.3%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Very nice appearance. Golden and cloudy with a nice head that lasts.
Citrus and hops on the nose.
Tastes of hops a citrus, dry and bitter a little alcohol.
Coats the mouth well.
A little too bitter for me to be great, but a good solid beer. A little too much money for me though.

suretolose, Feb 06, 2011
4.3/5  rDev -4.2%

Appearance: beautiful golden orange body with white fluffy head, also nice lacing

Smell: citrus up front as in pineapples, grapefruit,oranges and peaches and very little earthy malts.

Taste: bitter citrus blast! grapefuit hits your first than some nice sweet peaches and pinapples and than alittle bit of honey,malts and toffee.

Mouthfeel:medium body..very smooth and nice carbonation

Drinkability: very high for 10% alittle too high

I had this batch 10115(january 11,2011) several times, as in just a week old and the honey in this brew was way too sweet for my liking, but as for today(february 6,2011) the sweetness of the honey seems to be fading and the hop presence and bitterness is the highlight of this brew!!

eagles22, Feb 06, 2011
4.45/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

5L Mini-Keg, 2011 batch.

Pours clear golden/amber with a great dense white head, almost nitro-like, leaves gobs of lacing and holds a fantastic cap.

Aroma is very floral and tropical, pineapple, papaya, oranges/tangerines, grapefruit, some honey and caramel malt. Very good strength.

Flavor is resinous hops, tropical fruits, citrus, and a good deal of honey and caramel malt. Solid bitterness, but less so than other big DIPAs, getting more bitterness from the mini-keg than I am from bottles of this year's batch. Also, less alcohol taste from the keg, dangerously drinkable!

Mouthfeel is on the full side of medium bodied, sticky, medium to high carbonation.

Fantastic as always, although the honey and malt seem more apparent in the 2011 batch than the ones I enjoyed last year. Do slightly prefer the mini-keg version to bottles on this year's batch as the appearance is a notch better as well as increased bitterness.

elgiacomo, Feb 06, 2011
4.15/5  rDev -7.6%

Orange-tan in color and completely clear. One finger head and nice lacing.

Sweet and honey-pine hop aromas dominate, with grapefruit, mandarin oranges, and just a touch of earthy malts.

Powerfully hoppy. Honey overtones accent the malts and citrus peel flavors. Intensely flavorful. Piney as hell.

Medium bodied and well carbonated. Slight hop oil feel and very dominating bitterness. Alcohol warming.

Drinks well but wouldn't be an everyday beer. It's a bit over the top, and would be fine for an occasional sipper.

AlCaponeJunior, Feb 06, 2011
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a tulip
A Pours a copper/amber/light orange color, cloudy unfiltered. Small one finger whiteish head.

S Big big hop, piney aroma, pick-up pineapple scent overall, with hints of apple and citrus.

T The spiciness of the hops comes out first, mellowing subtly with the honey flavor but the hop spice comes back to finish with a lingering spicy sour apple citrus finish. The mouth feel is spectacular, you can practically chew on it.

Despite the high alcohol this is surprisingly drinkable. Too bad it's a seasonal brew because I'm counting the days til it's triumphant return.

twduncan, Feb 06, 2011
4.72/5  rDev +5.1%

my roommate got a few of these as extras in a recent trade.

this beer pours a nice slightly hazy orange color with a thick white head. The citrus hop aroma from this one is great, grapefruit smell really comes through. the beers name really comes through in the flavor, my palate was slammed by hops citrusy and very bitter a little bit of alcohol warmth. there is good carbonation and the beer is very drinkable at 10%

rowingbrewer, Feb 06, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +6.9%

Received this one in a trade with GallowsThief, much thanks Rich. Poured into a New Belgium globe with a batch number of 10127. Also my 50th review, really looking forward to this one.

A - Hopslam pours a wonderful hazy orange with a finger head that never goes away. Very nice lacing along the glass that practically reads drink me.

S - I put the glass down for a quick second and the aromas started wafting throughout the room. The nose on this beer is in a word spectacular. Citrus aromas of all kinds bombard your nostrils. Grapefuit, pineapple, and tangerine up front. A dose of pine in there as well with a bit of honey aroma to boot. The smell of this brew alone is almost intoxicating.

T - Wow. Just plain amazing. I was expecting to be overwhelmed by hop bitterness but what I got was a perfect amount of hops up front followed by a wonderful tropical fruit sweetness. I think the honey might have something to do with it here as well. All the ingredients culminate for a very unique taste that I have never experienced before and don't think I ever will. A slight tinge of alcohol to remind you of the 10%.

M - Medium bodied with a spot on amount of carbonation. The creaminess coats your palate and never lets go.

D - I would drink this one over and over again. One of the best beers I have ever had bar none. Simply phenomenal, hats off to Bell's for a creating such a wonderful brew.

BennyL1, Feb 06, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -21.4%

Huge thanks to zachattack555 for giving this to me as an extra a few hours ago. Second time having, still not impressed.

Pours a honey color with a little bit of white head. Leaves very little lacing down the glass.

Smells like hops. Citrus, pine, slight herbal hops with a fairly strong malt backbone to hold it up.

Taste is good, nice citrus and pine comes through with a substantial sweetness to back it up. It hints at honey. Finishes with an alcohol burn.

Mouthfeel is alright. Moderately full and a good amount of carbonation.

Drinkability is a little low. Alcohol finish is just unappealing in IPAs for me.

Did not live up to the hype for me, but not a bad beer.

bs870621345, Feb 06, 2011

Preview: "The Bell's Brewery batch number you searched '10115' is a Bell's Hopslam Ale and was packaged on January 11th, 2011." The beer is a bit over 3 weeks old and was poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

Appearance: A gorgeous, clear, honey orange color with a nice off-white head. The foamy two inch head slowly collapses, etching the glass with permanent lace.

Smell: One word says it: Wow! This is the most amazingly and powerfully aromatic beer I have ever experienced. As soon as the bottle is opened, it starts. After it hits the glass....there is an aroma cloud that envelops a 2 ft area around the pour. The smell is incredible. Pineapple, mango, peach, honey, grapefruit, and pine. I could smell this all day.

Taste: The taste blows me away. A changing flavor profile throughout the experience is quite unique. The first taste is all pine and bitter. The next several sips highlight the honey and grapefruit. Then some malt. Each sip has flavors to savor. Flavors mellow and get more floral as it warms. Very complex.

Mouthfeel: Medium with a pleasant oily feeling left on the roof of the mouth from the hop resins.

Drinkability: Superb. You would never know this weighs in at 10% ABV. Each sip has me muttering things like "ahhhh", "amazing" and "incredible". Very few beers do that. Very few.

Overall: Despite all the hype....there is definitely a reason with this one. This has got to be my favorite beer...definitely in the top 2 no doubt. Bell's has done a great job here. If not for the ABV...I could drink these all day long. I was lucky enough to procure a case worth of these and will be spacing them out nicely over the next month or so. Even my wife (not a big beer fan) loved this one. Sadly, while I wish this was available year-round...at least there will be Bell's Two-Hearted Ale to fill in the gap. Get this beer if you have not tried it while it is still available.

Brunite, Feb 06, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

Mostly clear golden color with an impressive layer of bubbly foam head that leaves behind streaky, sticky lacing all around the glass.

Piney nose with some grapefruit and citrus undertones. Flavor is expectedly hoppy and bitter, but the bitterness is balanced out just enough by the malt backing and some subtle sweet fruit flavors that it doesn't detract much from the drinkability.

Mouthfeel is spot-on: an excellent blend of lively carbonation with just enough smoothness. The 10%ABV is remarkably well hidden, but nevertheless I wouldn't recommend tipping back too many of these in one sitting.

Unsurprisingly, hops are the clear & dominant aspect of this beer - they're the first thing you smell, first thing you taste, and last thing you notice as it finishes with a somewhat dry bitterness. If you're a hop lover you will not be disappointed. Delicious.

One of my all-time favorites and something I have no hesitation recommending to anyone. Phenomenal. Already looking forward to next year's release!

thetomG, Feb 06, 2011

12 oz bottle poured into true pint glass

Thanks to my brother for including this in a recent package of beers!

A: About as perfect as a beer should be. Maintains a nice 1/4" head, dark orangish color, great lacing on the glass.

S: This is the best part of this beer. Can I give it a 6 out of 5? Intense aroma of pineapple, mango, passion fruit. Very, very intense!

T: Excellence balance of hops and malt. Passion fruit, honey, grapefruit. Not an overpowering amount of hops either for a DIPA.

D: Goes down so smoothly. No heat. Just about a perfect beer!

sdderek, Feb 05, 2011
4.03/5  rDev -10.2%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass 2/5/11.

A: Pours a beautifully hazy burnt orange color with a luscious looking 1 finger head with heavy lacing.

S: Nice strong aroma to the beer. Definite citrusy tones and a nice earthy/malty nose.

T: Not as strong or as bitter as I might expect out of a DIPA - perhaps this is balanced by the honey? The citrus doesn't come across in the taste.

M: Light to medium bodied, heavily carbonated. Slightly bitter after taste.

D: Not difficult to drink at all! I wish I had a few more.

Comments: This is not my favorite of the DIPAs, but it was still very good. Heady Topper still tops it, followed by Abrasive and then Double Trouble. In this fight, Bell's is behind Founders.

Thank you MBierz for sending this my way!

circlenine, Feb 05, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +7.6%

New review from the 2011 batch:

When I tried Hopslam after its release last year, it was my first run with the legendary beer. I had only just begun getting into double IPAs, and my palate was anything but prepared for what awaited me. My original Hopslam review wasn't really negative, but in no way represents my thoughts on this beer now. So here goes review number two, one year later on the 2011 batch.

A - A brilliant, golden orange with a thin white head and lacing that clings forever. This is a hard brew to look away from.

S - Oh my, the smell is wonderful. Bell's could seriously turn this into a cologne, as it's a scent I'd happily wear. The nose would be hops overload, but is balanced out by sweet malts and a bit of fresh-squeezed orange juice. Heavenly.

T - If the smell is heavenly, than the taste is downright ready for saint-hood. Someone call the Vatican. No other beer tastes like Hopslam. It's bitter and sweet, floral with a touch of caramel. Hard to describe, and impossible to top.

M - Medium thick, slick and slightly oily. The stickiness coats the entire mouth with it's goodness, and lingers long after the swallow.

D - While the ABV is way up there, the deliciousness of Hopslam makes it hard to stop at one. Only it's limited availability keeps me from drinking more of this.

I can definitely say I'm happy I bought more Hopslam this year, even after being underwhelmed by it last year. My palate has obviously shifted enough to enjoy this beer in all its glory, and I couldn't be happier.

Original review from 1-18-2010 (a B grade):

As a self-proclaimed "hophead" forever on the quest to find my next hop nirvana, I was absolutely dying to try Hopslam. My local beer store had no plans to get any, so I called up the next closest (30 miles away), and they were due for a one-time shipment of five cases the next day! What luck. They agreed to hold two sixers for me, so my dad (a Natty Lite drinker that I'm working to convert) and I made the trip after work. Now, after four bottles over four days, I'm ready to unleash my thoughts on this coveted beer upon the masses.

A - The pour renders a thin white head that quickly subdues into a nice film, with each sip leaving a decent amount of lacing on the glass. The color is a clear gold, and surprisingly similar to Bell's regular IPA, Two Hearted Ale. In a horizontal tasting, the two beers were nearly identical. It's visually pleasing, but nothing outstanding.

S - One nose-full of Hopslam had me absolutely giddy. As mentioned above, I worship at the altar of the Hop-God, and this brew provided a nose full of bitter, pungent hops, backed by a lingering scent of sweet honey. I would happily splash this beer in the appropriate places in lieu of cologne before heading to work, as the scent is simply phenomenal.

T - After the awesome scent, I couldn't wait to taste this immaculate brew...only to take my first sip, and be slapped upside the head with booze. The hops and the honey are certainly in there, but the 10% alcohol simply overtakes everything else. The taste is definitely not bad, but simple disappointing considering the hype, and the notion that this is a hop-bomb. Unfortunately, as the brew warms, the alcohol only tastes stronger.

M - Semi-thick and oily is really the best descriptor for mouthfeel of this brew. Thicker than a normal IPA, but obviously not near the viscosity of an Imperial Stout, Hopslam is right where it needs to be in it's hop-influenced thickness.

D - Even attempting to overlook the alcohol burn in the taste, at 10% Hopslam is nearly the definition of anti-drinkablility. This is sipper, made to be enjoyed over a period of time, rather than a brew begging you to down a sixer over a couple of hours. I've enjoyed plenty of brews of similar strength, that did a wonderfully deceiving job of hiding the ABV, but Hopslam simply is not one of those beers.

As for my final comments, I have to first say that Hopslam may be my most disappointing beer since my inception in the world of craft beer. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy it, and will have no problem finishing my two six-packs. However, for a beer that is regarded with near "Holy Grail" status, I expected something deliciously, and incredibly (kickass) hoppy, but instead got a beer with a dominating booze presence. You know, I may even age a bottle or two. This could develop into something resembling an awesome American-style barley wine.

eternaljester81, Feb 05, 2011

This is my first review. I found this site after buying a Dogfish Head 90-minute IPA and thinking I had quite possibly found the best beer ever made. I have not reviewed the DFH yet (that's next) but after spending hours reading the reviews here I set out to find Hopslam. Lucky for me that my discovery of IIPAs coincided with annual release of Hopslam. Doubly lucky for me apparently there aren't a lot of Beer Advocaters down here in Naples, FL as my local Total Wine had 5 sixes left on January 31st (my birthday). I bought them all without even trying it first.

Hopslam is a smooth, balanced, citrusey, hoppy perfection of a beer that might just be worth the ridiculous price. I'm not going to go into it's color, mouthfeel, drinkability, lacing etc. 2,000 people have already done that. What I will say is that, in my limited experience drinking IIPAs (I've had Racer X, Founder's Double Trouble, DFH 90, and Stone Ruination to date) this beer leaves all those in the dust. I figure it needs a few dozen more people to give it all 5s to make this one of the six A+ beers on this site. It certainly deserves that distinction.

MadHopz, Feb 05, 2011

2011 fresh bottle

A- Orange/copper color. mildy clear/slight clouds. carbonation is good w/ awesome lacing.

S- WOW. mango, peach, pineapple, floral resin, tropical citrus burst. Some really clean sweetness from the honey, malt on the back burner..

T/M- Hop flavor up the ying yang, same as the smell. honey really holds a mouthfeel of smoothness. almost no real bite or hard bitterness from the hops, almost like drinking hop fruit juice or something, tasty...

d- very good considering the 10abv, although after a few i could see a need for a drink of water and maybe a nap...

Is this even beer or the nectar of gods? i immediately fell in love with this after the initial sip. i want to bath in this stuff. sorry pliny, youve been replaced....

zodiak3000, Feb 05, 2011
4.95/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours a beautiful hazy orange color with a huge white head. Awesome lacing and head retention. Aroma is noticeable even on the pour. The honey stands out along with awesome tropical fruits, mangos. Absolutely wonderful aroma. The honey sweetness begins the flavor profile, followed by those big tropical fruit flavors. Then a second kick of hops, this time of the floral, pine and citrus variety add a bit of bitterness, but a great blend with the honey sweetness to the last half of the beer.

uustal, Feb 05, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -13.1%

230th review on BA
Bottle to Tulip
Bottle Code 10127- Bottled 1/11/11

App- A nice golden orange with some shimmering yellow/amber/golden highlights. A one finger head that dissapeared quickly. The lacing was very nice though.

Smell- I'm pretty sensitive to a honey product and I get a lot of it in this. Smells like a dough thats sweet like cinnamon rolls but without the cinnamon. Very little fruit but a nice hop aroma.

Taste- You can tell its a DIPA but its very sweet. I was thinking it would be but this was a bit too sweet IMO. At the back this has some weird peppery note to it. Tastes a bit malty at times.

Mouth- Medium bodied with a somewhat creamy medium/high carb level. Left a nice malty taste as well.

Drink- I hate to say it but I'm glad I traded for a bottle but I wouldn't pay the money that most people have to pay for this.

FosterJM, Feb 05, 2011
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

Received as an extra from Commis. Thanks again man...

A - Pours a golden honey with a two finger off white head. Head retention is decent and there is good amount of lacing to be had...

S - Lots of citrus fruits with some pine. Also pick up some sweeter notes from the honey and malt...

T - Honey and some malt up front followed by an onslaught of citrus fruit. Mango, grapefruit, and oranges. Finishes with some lingering grapefruit. Abv is well hidden. I see what all the hype is about now. This one is tasty...

M - Nice creamy feel. Sits on the higher end of the medium bodied spectrum with a decent amount of carbonation. This one is super smooth, and easy to drink...

D - This is a superb brew that is super smooth. The ten percent abv only adds to the allure. Bells comes through big time here with a big time brew...

Cheers...

comfortablynumb1, Feb 05, 2011
4.72/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 OZ bottle poured into tulip.

Light gold color small white head that lingers.

Scent is sweet and grapefruity

Taste is hoppy without being overpowering. Hops do not linger in a bitter aftertaste sort of way. They are present but smooth on the finish.

Wish I had more of it, had to trade to get one bottle.

jsulko, Feb 05, 2011
4.35/5  rDev -3.1%

5L mini keg poured into a tulip.

Pours a brite light amber with a small white head. Nose is really hoppy and fresh, it's a bit old but I can't notice that is old at all.

Taste is also very sweet and hoppy. Not killer but still super hoppy and super tasty. This is an amazing beer!

kingcrowing, Feb 05, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +8.7%

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance-Medium yellow to gold in color with light haze. Moderate white head with good retention and some lacing.

Aroma-Holy hops! What an amazing hop bouquet-citrus, pine, pineapple, grapefruit, resin-this beer smells awesome. Some light bready malt peaks through the hops, and there's a faint whiff of alcohol as well.

Flavor-Smooth piney and resiny hop flavors take the forefront, with some citrusy hop flavors as well. Some slight bready, caramelly malt sweetness peeks through in the center, before being wiped from the palate by moderately high hop bitterness. The hop bitterness carries on far into the aftertaste, but is smooth and pleasant. Light hop flavors of resin linger as well. Truly delicious.

Mouthfeel-Moderate to moderately full body and moderate carbonation come together to give this a firm, yet silky smooth feel on the palate. Though there's definitely some bitterness here, at no point does it even verge on astringent. There is a very light alcohol warmth in the finish, which is the only hint you get that this is a 10% beer.

Bravo. I'm tempted to say that this is the best DIPA I've ever had. The hop aroma is great, but that can be said for several other great DIPAs. What truly sets this one apart is the smoothness of the flavor and bitterness-it's so refreshing that it almost begs you to drink more. This is a fucking awesome beer.

plfahey, Feb 05, 2011
4.78/5  rDev +6.5%

a: Hazy honey color with light carbonation and a half-finger of white head
s: Floral with honey and a citrus backdrop
t: Pitch perfect hops, none too much of anything, balanced piney resin with citrus. Honey is not overpowering, subtle in the background and almost closer to beeswax. Lingering hops.
m: A little too thin, almost satiny.
d: Traded for this six from halfway across the country, and it is well worth it. A extremely well balanced iipa with just the right hops in just the right places.

haydukeqc, Feb 05, 2011
4.58/5  rDev +2%

Bottle into a big snifter.

A: Rich orange hue with slow rising carbonation bubble streams. Inch tall off-white head with a lathery appearance.

S: Hops of citrus orange, grapefruit, little pine, even a sweet note of malt and honey. Potent, easily detectable from a few feet away.

T: Sweet honey up front quickly, before caving to a main hop attraction. Complexingly hoppy, hard to denote any dominance between the citrus and more earthy tones. Alcohol peaks in just slightly without distracting, the malt only adds a quick caramel flavor to the finish.

M: Definitely on the heavier body side, thick like syrup. Still a decent dry finish to it however. Warming alcohol can be felt.

D: Hops and Honey, a match made in heaven. If Belgian will be famous for their big, spicey brown ales... America will be famous for complex hop-potent brews such as this.

ncfranklin, Feb 04, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +3.6%

Hopslam is hoppy as hell but still very drinkable maybe even more drinkable than two hearted. Unfortunately for my wallet this beer is definitely worth the high price... The honey is delicious. All around one hell of a good imperial IPA. I will buy again and again and again.

Dostortugas, Feb 04, 2011
4.03/5  rDev -10.2%

A: Honey golden in color. Creamy light head that dissipates quickly. Fine lacy retention around the rim of the glass that continues and hangs on the whole time.

S: Very citrusy. Orange peel, essence of pine and some undertones of grapefruit. Malt profile is also very prevalent.

T: Wonderfully complex hop profile. Pine and citrus notes, intertwined, fall over the tongue, but it does not have a strong tannic bite. The malt body is bready and slightly caramel. Being a strongly hopped beer, the malt profile is "slammed" into submission. Naturally. There seems to be a lingering acidic after taste.

M: Full and round on the palate. It's almost as though the beer bends and falls off the sides of the tongue. It's like chewing on a slab of hops.

D: I thoroughly enjoy this beer. Definitely not a session beer, but an ale I enjoy none the less. This beer would pair well with a properly seasoned piece of meat or cold cut sandwich. Sorry vegetarians. I'm sure pastrami tofu would pair well??

MicroBeerMan1980, Feb 04, 2011
Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.