Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 1,827
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.

(Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
tewaris

4.13/5  rDev -8%

Appearance 4.5/5
Deep tangerine-gold colored, Hopslam poured with a moderately sized off white creamy head that eventually receded into a smaller but persistent bubbly one, and left little lacing. The beer was a little hazy but got clearer as it warmed up. A good looking beer that would look even better in a narrower glass, but nothing lets you enjoy the aroma like a big snifter!

Aroma 4/5
Hopslam smells of balance and complexity: The elder brother of Two Hearted, it is strikingly similar in its mango notes, but is clearly sweeter and deeper, and different. To me, this ale is very good, but nothing as spectacular in its hop aroma as it is generally regarded. However, considered independent of style, this ale can compete with any other when it comes to aroma. The strong tropical fruit and tangerine notes combined with the strong and rich sweet notes lend the impression of fruit itself! It is readily seen that even though Hopslam is a Double IPA, it is cellar worthy. A wee bit of alcohol is noted when the beer gets warm. Soft, fruity, sweet and complex, Hopslam is an excellent smelling ale.

Taste 4/5
Very very fruity with the tangy sweetness of tangerines and the bitterness of citrus. A mouth coating, viscous, overwhelming taste experience that engulfs you and leaves with a sweet bitterness; however, a little too sweet. Yes, Hopslam tastes a lot like honey but that is not the most desirable quality in a DIPA, in my very humble opinion. Hopslam is hoppy and bitter but with a deep malt character. It seems stuck between being a DIPA and barleywine. That said, it's very good!

Mouthfeel 4/5
Silky and decent bodied, and well carbonated, Hopslam feels like THE DIPA except for the overly sweet finish.

Drinkability 4.5/5
All things considered, it is damn smooth for a 10% ABV beer! I only wish it were more aggressive and ass kicking!

01-23-2011 21:25:22 | More by tewaris
jorg2619

4.28/5  rDev -4.7%

This legendary ale pours a crisp clear apple juice light amber topped by a cap of pure white fluffy head that quickly drops to a lacy skim on the edges of the glass. Smells amazing sweet tart citrus all the way. I get oranges, lemons, grapefruit very nice spicy aroma with a hint of booze. The taste is an adventure tart obvious booze in front, intense citrus hops in the middle and a super strong bitter ending that coats the mouth and demands another drink. A very pleasant mouthfeel acts a as a balanced maybe slighty thick but smooth hop delivery system. I could really drink many glasses of this top notch double IPA. I had it last year and thought I could detect some sweet honey last year perhaps this bottle is extra fresh which blocks out everything but the mainstage of hops.

01-23-2011 20:34:56 | More by jorg2619
mechler

Iowa

4.65/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured slowly in to a tulip glass as a baritone delivers an aria in legato in my living room.

Appearance: Hopslam has a delightfully rich golden color that I've never seen before. The color varies so much with the light behind the glass, emulating the familiar palette of cornbread. 1.5 fingers of head appear and creep me out as I try to figure out how half a finger can make sense. I remember the creepy bus driver that scared me as a child with his cut-my-thumb-in-half trick. An angel sheds a single tear.

Smell: There is no question that this is the wildest smelling beer that I've ever sat behind. I feel like I'm frolicking through a meadow of tangerines. Instead of grass, tangerines are piled up to my knees as I struggle to trudge through the tender fruit. My lungs fill with a sweet bitterness that pulls the glass toward my lips. A parachute opens in Hungary.

Taste: The first line of defense that the beer employs is a stiff bitterness that reminds me of my first taste of an IPA as a young college student. This time, I don't shy away. The next thing that happens is a rich, honey-covered goddess of grapefruit takes my tongue without waiting to see if I'm willing. A pineapple shows up late to the party. He doesn't seem to mind. He cleans up before my parents get home. A panda speaks for the first time. It has learned French.

Mouth: A set of bubbles works me over like an early 20th century trench. The bubbles feel more numerous than I am used to, but they are smaller and less ready for the tactile battle. The fluid in which they swim is thinner and dissipates evenly from the dark red surfaces I've employed as it's prison. Though it vanishes like a ninja, the taste doesn't seem to chase after it. It lingers, singing sweetly to welcome the next battle in the war that we wage. A thousand fireflies spell words in cursive in front of a crowd. Just as they spell "marble," they transform in to fish. The lack of space between them causes the transformation to violently kill many of the fish. A man pulls up in a locomotive.

Drinkability: This beer is light and drinks very easily. The higher alcohol content suggests that you might not want to have too many despite that fact, but fear not, I've done the work for you. You can have several. They don't get worse. The food goes away, though, so you have to drink it without biting in to a tasty grilled pineapple at some point, and the cheese begins to harden as the surrounding air caresses it. Press on. The bees inside your mouth will reward you. A bit of lace from your glass becomes real and clothes you as you forget that you are a creature motivated by fear. Across the street, your grandmother begins a career as an illustrator. The life that you had is now trapped forever at the back of a cupboard.

Bottom Line: This beer will give you hives in your mouth. In those hives will live a thousand bees that will weave a series of sculptures in honey. The sculptures will be of fruits comprised primarily of rinds. You will peel back the rinds only to discover of more rind. It will mysteriously fail to frustrate you. Instead, you will be left loving the chore of shaving your meal for the first time.

Good luck finding another bottle. Look behind the bottles at your regular spot. Chances are that people are hiding the bottles that they don't purchase. I have no idea how I would know that, either, but you'll thank me as you gently fold the parachute in preparation of another visit to the bottom of the glass.

01-23-2011 17:33:34 | More by mechler
tchaos

4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured into a Duvel tulip. Bottle code....wait...you're still here?

Nearly 2,000 freaking reviews of a beer with an 'A' rating....a beer that has people flocking to the store like kids after the next Pokemon?

Nobody gives a damn about my crappy little review...so go away....drink more beer.

A - Golden amber, like the hair color of the girl you fell in love with during the summer before 8th grade...until you pushed her away by laughing at the fact that she didn't know who Vashti Bunyan was...and now, 40 years later, you still cry over your stupidity for letting her go...crying tears as crystal clear as this ale.

S - Floral and honey, with citrus notes...like her hair...or, her glorious hair....Analia...come back...I'm sorry!

Okay....I'm feeling much better now...sorry for the brief breakdown.

T - Starts with honey sweetness, followed by intense citrusy hops and a bit of pine. Some alcohol present in the back half, but very understated for the 10% ABV. Beautiful, lingering, hoppy finish.

M - Smooth, medium-body with moderate carbonation.

D - Really, really freaking high. Makes me act like a small, non-verbal child making grabby hands -- think Colbert saying "Emmy, please. Turns you into the craft-beer equivalent of Tyrone Biggums. Or _Beer Bad_-Buffy: "Want more... beer. Like beer. Beer...good."

01-23-2011 16:35:12 | More by tchaos
harrymel

3.58/5  rDev -20.3%

Thanks to Chaney for this one!
2011 Vintage
Poured to NB Globe

A: Pours a dull golden ale. Excellent clarity and consistent ribbons rise to feed the central cap on a film of creamy haze. The initial head of maybe one finger falls quickly. Spotty lace clings to the glass.

S: Sour pineapple, cotton candy, sweet peaches, hints of pine and hemp. Some of the sweetness feels like it's coming from the alcohol. Lots of different citra play around in there too. A bit too ambitious IMO.

T: Very sweet - due to alcohol I believe. The beer converges on more cotton candy sweet and melds with a healthy (but not enough) amount of good hopped bitterness. The malts here are subdued and do not even reach the hop level here. I understand they call this Hopslam, but I would take SN's Hoptimum any day over this.

M: Medium body and medium carb, the beer allows decent attention to the flavor profile while dispersing the aromatics within the body. Good job here. The ABV numbs just enough to tickle a want for more.

D: For a beer that people are totally nuts for, I think the hype has outdone the quality of the beer. I can't speak for previous vintages, which I hope offer the quality IPA apparently leading to the popularity of the beer. It's the right price point I think, but nonetheless, I think there are much better, more inventive Impy IPA's for the average beer drinker.

01-23-2011 16:18:32 | More by harrymel
RBassSFHOPit2ME

4.25/5  rDev -5.3%

I'll begin by stating this is the 2nd year in a row I've traded for this beer and I figured after 2 years, a review is finally justified being that "enough experience" with fresh Hopslam has been had.

A - Good, caramel looking copper color and for 10% looks very filtered. Not at all hazey. A swirl retains head OK but not as well as you'd think with the reputation it holds.

S - a bit muted but tropical fruits and Honey dominate - malts very evenly balanced with hops. Very well balanced

T - Hops there for sure at the fore-front but honey very apparent. Sweet...but not overly so, the bitterness at the end evens this beer out and makes it easy to put down a few. Tropical fruits dance along the palate but the honey keeps making it's presence known. I remember this beer being more complex last year. Pine shows itself some but not resiny like most of this style like most WC DIPAs. Solid DIPA but I'd never say I'd been slammed with hops. Just a very good DIPA and very well balanced. 10% not detectable at all.

M - Carbonation is near perfect. Not quite creamy but for 10%, drinks like a single IPA begging for another sip.

D - Perfect 5. What 10%? Whoever said this beer is hot is crazy. Easiest drinking 10% ever. I'm thinking the Honey might play a role in this,

Final Thoughts - There is a lot of hype behind this beer. Does it live up to it? For me...ehhhh, I won't say no but I won't say yes. Again, a very, very good beer and DIPA and great example a balance but the honey sweetness and flavor take away from the pure showcase of hops that other beers display better. I HATE when other reviewers state there are better beers out there but don't name them. So here it goes...better DIPA's than Hopslam for MY PALATE - taste is subjective so don't get butthurt.

PtY
PtE
Alpine's Bad Boy
Fresh Dreadnaught
Citra DIPA
Knuckle Sandwich (arguably but I'll give Hopslam the edge)
Fresh Sculpin and Dorado from Ballast Point not better but easily a tie.

I'm very thankful and respectful of Hopslam and Bell's to note. I'm extremely happy to have been able to experience this beer on more than a few occasions.

01-23-2011 06:59:28 | More by RBassSFHOPit2ME
cdrogers

4.18/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured from bottle to snifter. Serving temp was about 53F.

A: Nice golden amber with a slight haze. Very nice off-white head.
S: Intense hop aroma. Definite citrus and can also pickup the honey.
T: Intensely hoppy, but was not overpowering. Very complex with citrus flavors (pineapple and grapefruit were most prominent). Slight sweetness, honey in nature, but not too much.
M: Hops do not linger around on the tongue, very smooth, but the citrus (especially the grapefruit) add the bitterness.
D: Highly drinkable for an IPA. Very smooth and complex flavors just make me want more of it. If you have never had an IPA, I think this would be a great first.

Highly recommend.

01-23-2011 06:15:29 | More by cdrogers
xnicknj

4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

12oz bottle poured into tulip glass

Pours a partially clear golden orange with a bubbly white head, which retains well before fading into some filmy lacing leaving patches around the glass.

An intense blast of pine and citrus hops in the nose with some soft caramel and honey sweetness. Light warmth and bready tones as well.

An avalanche of citrusy hops up front with grapefruit and orange. Juicy pine hops add to the profile with crunchy bitterness. The malt bill is on the lighter side with some caramel sweetness. A dollop of honey adds a soft edge to the flavor. Explosive hoppiness and slight alcohol warmth finish out the beer.

Medium body, lighter carbonation, sticky and dry on the palate. Excessively drinkable for the abv, and possibly one of the best DIPAs I've ever had. Amazing hop beat down with soft sweetness and malt at the same time. Thank you Bells.

01-23-2011 05:25:28 | More by xnicknj
weizenbob

4.13/5  rDev -8%

12 ounce bottle, batch 10127 (bottled 1/11/11). From the all around cool looking label: "A biting, bitter, tongue bruiser of an ale." Poured into a goblet. The pour yields two fingers of fluffy off-white head atop a copper colored ale. There is mild haziness. Head retention is decent, particularly for a brew with this high of an alcohol content. Sticky lacing lines the glass beautifully.

As soon as the cap came of with a whoosh the aromatics of this double IPA began making their escape. This continued throughout the pour. It smells malty and sweet, and the nose quickly fills with citrus. There's the obligatory IPA grapefruit fragrance, but there is also some tangerine. Trace amounts of caramel are detected. There is not a big variety of aromas here, but what is here is very strong and very pleasant.

Two things strike me right away as I put the goblet to my lips and take the first sip: Hopslam is very malty, and it has a high alcohol content. But this is a double IPA; shouldn't I be gagging on hop intensity? Well, that's there too. There is a lot of hoppiness actually. I've heard the word balance used a lot in describing Hopslam, but I'm thinking that it goes beyond that. I think Bells has swung the pendulum slightly off center toward the maltier side of the DIPA style.

This beer boasts a sweetness that won't quit. There is a syrupy quality that coats the rest of the flavors. And yes, beneath that sweet sugary goodness is a beer that is also quite hoppy. Grapefruit is most noticeable. Spruce touches the tongue. Subtle orange dances in and out. Alcohol is easily identifiable, but not in a way that suggests 10% abv. The taste finishes with the clean taste of citrus rind that cross-fades to a bitter hop massacre as hop oils coat the mouth and tongue.

In the mouth, this brew is thick to the point of resembling pine sap. It's incredibly malty, and the carbonation is effectively low, allowing all of the excesses of this beer to shine. The alcohol adds to the heaviness; it is recognizable in the flavor profile and it burns ever so slightly as it slides down the hatch.

As far as the DIPA style goes I've only had one other brew that was more drinkable than Hopslam, which shall remain unnamed in this review (okay, it was Pliny the Elder). Yes, Hopslam has a high alcohol content. Yes, it's a hop bomb. But covering those tracks is a sweet malty syrupy teddy bear of a beer. You will not be sessioning this beer; I'm sorry to burst your bubble. It may not taste like a 10% abv beer but as I reach the bottom of the goblet, I'm definitely beginning to notice the alcohol content. That will be enough for me. The final verdict is that Hopslam is a well-done DIPA, one of the best actually.

---

The Two-Schlitz Scale™: (see my profile for an explanation)
This bottle of Hopslam cost me as much as three bottles of Schlitz, and it was worth every penny.

01-23-2011 04:07:09 | More by weizenbob
nhindian

4.15/5  rDev -7.6%

12oz bottle poured into a Dogfish Head Signature glass.

I called my distributor earlier this week about this beer, as for Bell's last seasonal (Expedition Stout), the local Wegmans didn't stock any 6-packs, and the only good to-go bottle shop around me was selling them for $24. They expected to get cases in later in the week, but wasn't sure how many, if any, they could allot to people just walking in. He asked for my name, and on Friday I got a call saying they have a case with my name on it!

Batch 10115, bottled on January 11, 2011. According to Bell's Batch Finder at this time, this is the newest batch of anything to come out of Bell's! Hard to get much fresher than this!

A - Pours a tangerine color in the glass, pretty clear throughout with a modest stream of carbonation rising from the etched bottom. A relatively hard pour unleashes 2.5-fingers of white head, bubbling and rocky before leaving the faintest of caps several minutes later. Lacing is scattered but twirls sporadically down the edge of the glass.

S - The cap flies off and the kitchen starts to swell with the aroma of a citrus playground. Overwhelming amounts of grapefruit, orange, mango and even some pineapple flood the nose and make themselves right at home. For a beer called 'Hopslam', however, there was also a very pronounced malt backbone here that adds some caramel as well.

T - The flavors give new life to the nose and it certainly does slam you. The hops are alive and kicking, assaulting the palate with a barrage of bitterness and fruitiness, clenching your mouth with no intentions of letting go. It's citrus lasts well after the sip is done, but along the way the malts do help in taming the hops while adding a bit of smoothness. As it warms it melds better, but the alcohol noticeable pops as well. Actually, the alcohol comes through a bit too much on the back end for my liking, but this seems to be varied. The first one I had last night didn't have as much heat, but I really notice it more in tonight's. Hard to make a judging on that, but this specific bottle has a scathing alcohol bite.

M - Mouthfeel is moderately heavy with good carbonation. This beer takes coating the palate to an entirely new level, and my tongue feels seriously heavier after drinking this beer. A new, but welcome experience.

D - Drinkability is moderately high. I absolutely love the nose and initial flavors on this one, but the alcohol presence just kind of detracted from the back-end a bit too much for my liking.

In terms of the Pliny v. Hopslam debate, I'm probably going to have to pick Pliny. I appreciate the balance Hopslam tries to bring, but for me personally, I really like the pine/hopbomb aspect that Pliny brings to the table. Hopslam is great and I'm happy I have a few sixers, but I'm hoping more bottles are like my first where the alcohol is a bit more tamed.

01-23-2011 03:58:25 | More by nhindian
crossovert

4.97/5  rDev +10.7%

5l minikeg.

From the minikeg this one looks amazing. The head is much larger than the bottled version and it recedes to some nice lacing. Not as much carbonation bubbles as the bottle once it is poured.

The smell is perhaps a bit sweeter in the minikeg, I am also having it colder than I would a bottle, I can't wait for it to warm up.

With the cooler temp it definitely has a ncie bitter hop bite, I would say a bit more piney flavor than when it is warmer.

It is as good in the minikeg as any style of vessel, just let it warm up a bit.

01-23-2011 03:01:38 | More by crossovert
BeerDawgs

Georgia

4.97/5  rDev +10.7%

A - A golden amber color. A small amount of head, with decent lace retention on the glass.

S - Heavenly. Sweet honey flavors, and hops of course.

T - Double heavenly. Sweet up front. Honey is very evident. Half way through, the alcohol makes an appearance, and a nice hoppy finish.

M - Medium body, fairly low carbonation.

D - For a 10% abv content beer, it is amazingly smooth. The high abv does creep up on you by the end of the beer, but it is amazingly smooth and highly drinkable.

01-23-2011 02:54:52 | More by BeerDawgs
McNealc31

4.7/5  rDev +4.7%

Bell's Hopslam has a huge, white head, but the color was paler than I had expected. The hop aromas hit me as soon as I opened the bottle. The aroma is chock full of the familiar hoppy flavors of grapefruit and pine. The flavor is very interesting. The hops are definitely there, and huge, but the addition to honey adds a sweet finish. It's dry, the hops linger longer than the honey, and you won't find better lacing.

Bell's Hopslam does have a ton of hops, but I wouldn't say it's as overpowering as I expected. Despite the 10% ABV, that isn't overpowering, either. Considering how much is going on, it's amazingly well balanced.

01-23-2011 01:44:27 | More by McNealc31
tsatem

4.58/5  rDev +2%

Batch 10101, from a bottle into a snifter, thanks to calbertb2

A - Golden and honey like, one finger head that dissipates fairly quickly. Slightly hazy. Not much lacing as I continue to drink.

S - Lots of citrusy fruits and sweet honey play together very nicely. Lots of hops, of course, primarily citrus but some pine as well (which comes out more as the beer warms up). I really like the balance of this nose - I can pick things out by bringing them to the forefront, but they're always so well balanced by everything I'm not not to pay as close attention to.

T - I actually get a lot of malt at first, followed immediately by bitter hops honey and finishing with a lot of citrus and some bitterness. Lots of citrus notes from the hops throughout the whole taste, with a wonderfully bitter finish. I'm not really picking up on the alcohol at all for it being 10%

M - The mouthfeel is great and incredibly smooth while still being very well carbonated. The best way I can think of to explain it is that it feels like the carbonation is tons of incredibly small bubbles, resulting in a nice creaminess.

D - For a 10% ABV this is really something. It's really very drinkable, and I just love how the sweetness from the honey mixes with the hops. Extremely enjoyable, and the incredible balance of all the flavors is what really does it for me. There's so much to back up the hops in this one, which I miss in a lot of other DIPA's.

01-22-2011 23:22:10 | More by tsatem
Hellabeerguzzler

4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

Going on my 3rd season of this DIPA so I guess it's time I throw in a review of my own. This review from a 10-day-old bottle. As a hophead, I am probably biased but this really is an outstanding brew. Last season was not as good current season or 2 years ago but I enjoyed it last year as well anyway. This would be a good time to commend Bell's Brewery on another superb brew.

a - for the alcohol content, outstanding. Pours a almost-clear deep amber with white, two-finger head, heavy lacing and champagne bubbles.

s - maybe one of the most aromatic beers I've ever seen. You don't have to stick your nose in the glass either. Smells like a grassy field with loads of citrusy hops, grapefruit, and apricots. In fact, I'm gonna go grab one out of the icebox now.

t - a closed-fist punch in the face of hops. A little peppery but hides the ABV perfectly well. Hops from start to finish with touches of honey, pine, and apricot all the way to the finish line.

d - I would have rated this even higher but the fact is, you'll be slurring your speech before you get enough of this brew. I can't even say that's a negative with a true DIPA such as this.

Demand is heavy this year so if you haven't already, you'll want to try this. If you're a hophead, you'll probably find yourself with a great mid-winter surprise to look forward to year after year like I do. Do you think I like this ale or what?

01-22-2011 23:04:06 | More by Hellabeerguzzler
CoastieSimon

4.83/5  rDev +7.6%

Thanks to Pellinore1 for the fresh trade! Bottles 10093.

Wow! I now believe the hype of this beer. It is just great. Popping open the bottle and the aroma is amazing hoppy and honey coming thorough and it is just amazing. Next the Pour, I poured it into an IPA glass my friend gave me, not a big head but the color is beautiful golden amber, and the carb. bubbles in the sun made a cool little tornado type thing. Now the taste, you really do taste the honey right up front then the hoppy bitterness/pine taste comes through. It is honestly one of the best beer profiles I have ever had, everything blends so nicely!! Drinkability is great as I could def drink a couple but at 10% it will get you buzzin good after two!

Great Beer, if you don't have it in your area do everything you can to acquire it.

01-22-2011 22:39:24 | More by CoastieSimon
ncvbc

4.6/5  rDev +2.4%

From a mini-keg. I drank it when I had a bit of a cold. But alas, it wasn't finished in that sitting. Pours with a lovely billowy head. Bright orange, active carbonation. Chunks of lacing down the glass. Not surprisingly, it looks better here than poured from a bottle. The magnificent smell is there and perhaps even more potent. Fresh and inviting. Green lies underneath throughout and is accompanied by a piney, resinous hop character. A sweetness atop it. Light bready, biscuity scent. Taste is the tongue number that has always been Hopslam. Good balance of bitter and sweet. Bitter is the clear winner but balanced perfectly. Hints of honey do wonders. The finish is dry and tingles the tongue with its bitterness. Somewhat sharp. Before this, a good sticky, resinous sweetness melds with the hops. I could drink it religiously. I only wish to see this beer produced year-round. It has a certain nostalgia to it that doesn't come often enough. And I don't think having it around all the time would hurt my perception of how great it truly is. *crosses fingers*

01-22-2011 21:35:35 | More by ncvbc
thagr81us

South Carolina

4.43/5  rDev -1.3%

Batch 10101. Served from bottle into a Delirium Tremens snifter. Poured yellow-orange with a three finger off-white head that subsided to a minimal amount very slowly. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, citrus, pin, and citrus/pine hop. The flavor was of sweet malt, citrus, pine, citrus hop, grapefruit, and sweet alcohol on the followthrough. It had a medium feel on the palate with mild carbonation. Overall this was a pretty excellent brew. Had a great aroma and flavor going on here without doubt. Very well balanced aspects in this one. I can understand why it flys off the shelf nowadays. This is an absolute must try!

01-22-2011 20:48:06 | More by thagr81us
Axic10

4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

First bottle out of my case. Bottled on 1-11-11, batch #10127. Poured from 12oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours golden in color with a finger of white foam on top.

Smell: Bright floral hops, sweet citrus - pineapple and grapefruit, picking up some of the honey. Really good nose.

Taste: Bitter bitey hops, nice sweet juicy grapefruit, pineapple and other citrus, some sweetness from the honey and even some sweetness from the malt coming through. Very nice flavor.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and very smooth for a 10% DIPA.

Drinkability: Quite possibly my favorite seasonal release from the Midwest and definitely my favorite Bell's beer. An absolute pleasure to drink.

01-22-2011 20:44:34 | More by Axic10
Samalamahamdam

Missouri

4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

This was a new one for me. I hadn't had a distributed beer from a cask before. The nose had a very fresh floral hop aroma. The color was a nice gold to amber with a slight haze. The taste was mild bitterness huge grapefruit and smooth finish. It is a great lounge/den beer when you have time to just sit back and enjoy the glass. Velvet Grapefruit....

01-22-2011 20:20:38 | More by Samalamahamdam
kitty66

4.88/5  rDev +8.7%

Aftertaste alternates between the honey, malts and hops. Smoother finish than pliny, although the honey seems to block some of the hops aroma.

Interesting idea to make a 10% beer so drinkable, this would give overall rating a boost for being a true "specialty".

Hard to find in general, I'm sure there will be more and more release parties springing up across the midwest & east coast where distribution is available.

If you haven't tried it yet don't give up, there may be another sixer in your local bottleshop... but if there is it will go lightning fast !

01-22-2011 19:53:32 | More by kitty66
jmvecchio1

Missouri

4.38/5  rDev -2.4%

Special thanks to Bell's Brewing and Amalgamated Brewing for procuring a cask of Hopslam for the St Louis area. The cask ran dry in 42 minutes and served more than 200 locals enthusiastic about great craft beer.

The gravity pour of the cask yielded a bright amber color with a thin lacy top (you get a much rockier off-white head off a keg or bottle pour). The smell, taste, and drink off the cask are much more subtle off the cask. Off the aroma you get a beautiful citrus and floral bouquet, but honey is much more predominant than out of the keg or bottle. During the taste you get: honey, grapefruits, hop oil, and a slight hint of alcohol. The hop oil increasingly coats the pallet during the drink. The mouthfeel off the cask is creamy and preferable. The finish is dry and slightly earthy. Overall, this is a well celebrated beer that's worth trying in any capacity (cask, keg, or bottle).

01-22-2011 18:26:41 | More by jmvecchio1
liamt07

Ontario (Canada)

4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

Bottle courtesy of TheSevenDuffs, via peensteen. Thanks again guys, blew my mind that I'd have the chance to sample this. Served in a pint glass, Batch 10093 (just over 2 weeks old).

Poured a clear golden yellow, with a finger and a bit of off-white head, light retention and solid lace. Nose holds a shit-ton of honey, pine and citrus in the forms of orange, tangerine and mango among others. Yowzers, mouth watering indeed. Taste follows suit, with the honey sweetness leading the onslaught, with the citrus involved being similar to that of the nose. Warming feel and great interplay between the strong bitterness and honey sweetness. Great mouthfeel, and if anything, maybe a touch more bitterness would put this over the edge for me. Drinkability should be a 15/5, likely one of the most dangerous beverages I've ever encountered. Lives up to the hype.

01-22-2011 17:44:51 | More by liamt07
cjacobsen

4.7/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a hazy golden color with lighter edges where the light bends in the glass. Nice foamy white head that sits for a long while.

Smells of hops and honey. It's got a slight light fruit, citrus hint to it. Really, it smells amazing.

The taste is a lot like the nose. The hops are well balanced with the honey, as the honey actually comes out nicely and it doesn't allow the hops to get the better part of the taste ratio. The citrus is in the middle of the taste and has a lingering sense. Really nice malt character as well.

Well carbonated but still a smooth beer. There is little carbo bite and a its got a nice body to it.

This is a fantastic beer. Out of all the double IPAs that are out there, I must say that this is the one that I look forward to the most. It's extremely well done.

01-22-2011 13:07:52 | More by cjacobsen
julian

4.78/5  rDev +6.5%

Received as an extra in a trade - thanks FullObs!

This is my first time tasting this beer.

Right off the bat, I can't believe this is 10%! It's hidden exceptionally well, almost too well. This might be one of the best DIPA/IIPAs I've ever tasted, regardless of the hype (which is a lot). It's just a really, really great beer. Sadly, now there's another Bell's beer I can add to my "wish I could buy locally" list :(

A: Copper in color with a slight haze. Minimal fluffy white head, with an oily, sticky lacing.

S: Awesome aroma of citrus, hops, honey. Not overwhelming but enough to make you want to not only drink the beer, but eat the bottle too.

T: Wow. 10%? Amazing. A most sublime harmony of sweet maltiness, citrus, honey and hop bitterness. Almost on the sweeter side than bitter, but excellent flavor profile. I love it!

M: It's crisp, perfectly carbonated and dances on your tongue. Even for a novice IPA drinker, this would go down smooth.

D: Perfect drinkability. It's waaay too easy to drink this stuff, and if I didn't know it was 10%, I'd be hammered in no time. But I do know it's 10%, and that doesn't change any. This is one beer you can't just drink one of.

01-22-2011 08:35:03 | More by julian
Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.