Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 2,283
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 11,325 | Reviews: 3,374
3.25/5  rDev -27.5%

4.78/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours beautifully with a nice very light colored head. Beautiful light orange color that accentuates the citrus and tropical fruit scent emanating from the glass. Orange, mango, grapefruit, pine...it's all there in the scent. The taste is HUGE and follows the scent. The mouth feel is very good though not as viscous as I had imagined it would be. This is a BRUISER in every sense of the word. Excellent. No wonder it get such rave reviews. Glad I stood in line and I am thankful for my 4 bottle allocation. I didn't think it possible that I would find an IPA that beat 2 Hearted for my taste. I just did. Outstanding effort by Bell.

4.55/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled: 01/09/12; Poured in a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

A - One inch of just off-white, fluffy, creamy head with pretty good retention; Clear, caramel colored appearance; Nice lacing all around the glass

S - Not quite as potent as I expected, but still a great bouquet of hops; Floral, grapefruit, orange, pineapple, apricot, and faint pine notes; Sweet honey lurks behind the hops as well as a hint of caramel malts

T - There's no denying this is a hop heavy hitter now; Tropical and citrus fruit hops step forward strongly with tastes of grapefruit, pineapple, and apricot; Toasted toffee is also there, but doesn't have as much of a presence; Touch of peppery, piney hops in the finish with subtle hints of alcohol flavor; Good amount of bitterness in this beer that shares the spotlight with the tropical fruits; Noticeable sweet honey up front that helps keep the bitterness enjoyable and in check

M - Moderate carbonation; Medium bodied; Leaves the mouth dry big time, and a bit sticky and warm as well

O - Well, I finally got to try the infamous Hopslam that I made sure to get this year. There's no doubt that this is the best DIPA I have ever had up to this point. Even so, I think my expectations might have risen too high with the reputation that this beer has. Putting that aside though, I can really appreciate what an awesome offering this is. The hoppy aromas and flavors are very well done, as expected, but what sets this beer apart from others is its drinkability. I'm not sure there's another 10% ABV beer that's as easy to drink as this one. Thankfully, I've got a few more of these to consume, so the good times aren't over just yet.

4.3/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: dull copper, good lacing after every sip, looks likes it's time to drink

Smell: A piney smell fades directly to a fruity one. It's nearly a peachy smell that transforms into a smell of sweet honey.

Taste: Solid Double. Hops abound from the start and then a quick burst of malty goodness followed up by an overbearing alcohol ending that didn't seem to linger. The 10% showed itself right before the lights turned out, near perfect.

Mouthfeel: This beer had sex with my tongue. The carbonated bubbles danced on my tongue then left my mouth feeling sweaty and dry at the same time.

Overall: Good Brew. The best Double IPA I've had this year. It's early, but it's a fair attempt at making a world class D-IPA. I messed up and opened another one....this concludes with a hazy finish to my review.

Around $18 for a six pack

4.27/5  rDev -4.7%

Lucky enough to get a 6-pack of this, ridiculously expensive though at $25

A- orange shade to it, much more than most other DIPAs I've had...somewhat cloudy also, consistent lacing

S- hops, lemon zest, orange, honey...really nice blend of flavors

T- hoppy as I expected, but the orange and honey work so well together and really stand out...aftertaste is very citrusy

M- I like the amount of carbonation it has, but it is a little on the flat side compared to the other DIPAs I've had...this isn't a bad thing though, I think the mouthfeel is perfect, very drinkable

O- I didn't realize the hype that came along with this beer, and I only wanted to try it cause I enjoyed Two Hearted...it is really good, though I think I preferred Pliny and obviously Heady. I wish this was brewed more often cause it really is an enjoyable beer...if you have a chance to get some I highly recommend giving it a try

4.7/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Great light head. Nothing too much - just right. Color is a golden amber - fairly light in color - almost makes me think of a barleywine

S - Lots of grass and pine with a bit of malt and alcohol in the back.

T - I actually disagree with several other reviewers. I don't think this is that bitter at all. I expected to be hit in the face with hops but this beer is truly balanced. There is a bit of bitter aftertaste, but the blend of taste in the hops is very impressive. A great range of flavor. There might be a little too much alcohol, but I won't complain.

M - Good, but nothing too incredible here. A little on the thin side. Again I am reminded of a barleywine.

O - Really a solid beer. I don't know why it costs THAT much, but it's a pleasure to drink. It really hits tha balance that so many doubles and even standard IPAs miss.

4.5/5  rDev +0.4%

Poured from bottle into draft glass.

A- Burnt orange color body with a frothy two-finger off-white head.

S- Hop cones, pine, grapefruit, citrus, and tropical fruit notes come screaming to the top of the glass jockeying for position. A lot going on here. Immaculate.

T- Grapefruit, citrus (maybe some tangerine), pine, honey, and some sweet malt...bordering on too sweet. Leaves a strong bitterness on the finish to round out that sweetness, but not at all to the point that you can't handle it. If you are a hophead, you'll love this one.

M- It has a juicy feel to it. I'd call it medium-heavy. Its has the heavier feel of a DIPA but its not a big thick syrup bomb. Its done just right.

O- This beer gets a ton of hype and deservedly so. I've had yet to try Russian River's Pliny the Elder, but if its better than this it would have to be an out of body experience. Between this, the Two Hearted Ale, Best Brown, and Special Double Cream Stout...Bell's makes some killer beers and this one is the headliner. Shame that this is not a year-round serving. Im glad that I have another case of this waiting for me upon its arrival.

4.5/5  rDev +0.4%

12 oz bottle poured into tulip snifter. Purchased a case at Shangey's in Emmaus, PA. Born on date 1/9/12.

A- Dark copper color with a finger of white head that dissipates fairly quickly into a thin white ring around the rim of the glass.

S- Huge citrusy and pine hop aroma shines through after letting it warm up for 20 minutes in the glass. An orange rind and sweet honey fill the back end of the nose. Fabulous!

T- Taste follows nose with big BITTER hops up front and turns sweeter with honey present as it rolls down the tongue. I am getting a slightly moderate alcohol burn in the swallow. Yes, it reminds me it is 10%.

M- Carbonation is slightly higher than some in this style. It is still very smooth with a medium creamy body.

O- This is my 1st year for this beer and it is a treat. There are few DIPAs that are as satisfying all around as this one. From the big hop presence to the big honey and malt backbone, this one is pretty flavorful. Well done!

4.75/5  rDev +6%

4.67/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.32/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured into a tulip from a 12oz bottle

A- A burnt orange or copper color, whit rocky head with about 2 finger worth of head on it

S- Amazing really tropical, grapefruit, pine needles, with a sweetness deff can get the honey

T- Bitter right at the front, big grapefruit, tropical notes, really smooth and well balanced the alcohol cant be detected at all

M- Medium, great carbonation, smooth and it coats the mouth...wonderfully put together

O- Outstanding beer, well put together, will deff be getting this again

4.84/5  rDev +8%

On-tap @ Taste of Tops in Tempe, AZ.

A: Clear, golden-yellow with a very fluffy, bubbly, white head. Settles into piles of foam.

S: Huge, juicy, fruit hops. Mostly citrus with some piney, cedar-like aromas. Clean, crisp malt is in there, too. Very impressive.

T: Well it's pretty damn good. Lives up to the hype from the first sip. The fruitiest Double IPA I've ever had. The booze shows itself to remind you it's a Double but it's not a bother. The tropical fruit is insane. It tastes like biting into a fresh mango or something more exotic like dragon fruit. Refreshing finish with a great balanced flavor.

M: So smooth and tasty. Fruity hop oils coat your mouth. Right amount of dryness in the finish and a solid malt presence to keep it from being an intense hop bomb. Way too drinkable for the ABV.

O: Easily one of the better IIPA's available. Thus the almost perfect "5" in my opinion. I'm glad this has made it out to Arizona.

4.5/5  rDev +0.4%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.