Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 1,831
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.

(Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
ratrod53

4.83/5  rDev +7.6%

A- It's a cloudy gold color small head that leaves quickly and leaves just a little lacing.

S- I smell a lot of hops and some citrus a real nice smell vary intense.

T- This is an intense beer a ton of hops with some bitter citrus with an alchol at the end it is a well balanced drink.

M- The hops attack your taste buds and gave me a nice bitter feeling vary good carbonation.

D- It's got alot of alchol in it so I wouldn't drink it all day long but this by far is my favorite double IPA.

10-30-2010 00:16:02 | More by ratrod53
kreeper

Wisconsin

4.65/5  rDev +3.6%

Appearance - Pours to a Golden Goodness with a very nice frothy head. Once settled in remains a nice 1-1/2in head in my standard Pint glass with a likable cloudiness.

Smell - Intense comes to mind. Citrus Pineapple and Grapefruit comes through aside from the obvious onslaught of hoppiness.

Taste- Like Two Hearted Ale on roids. Citrus, Bitter Grapefruit, sweet pine and pineapple with a little bit of alcohol on the finish, not overpowering through. Despite the redicoulous hoppiness it comes over pretty balanced.

Mouthfeel - Like the bottle says, this is a tounge bruiser of an ale! Think of the best Double IPA's you've ever had and this is it. Creamy, good carbonation and a great bitter bite. If you plan on sampling any other beer in the same day, better make this one the last one you try as it will destroy your palate (in a good way through).

Drinkability. Not the most drinkable DIPA i'v.e ever had, this one made me take my time and enjoy this great creation from Bell's

10-17-2010 02:24:20 | More by kreeper
Seebs847

4.7/5  rDev +4.7%

One of my favorite beers of all time! I have had it many times out of the bottle but was lucky enough to have cask recently. Grapefruit, grapefruit, grapefruit all the way throughout the tasting. Sweet and sticky mouthfeel with a sweet honey finish. Hazy orange appearance with a smell of sweet hoppy citrus. Overall an amazing offering from Bells. I will be stocking up come january.

10-17-2010 00:40:19 | More by Seebs847
kbutler1

4.15/5  rDev -7.6%

Draft and bottle on numerous occasions but for this review, draft. Pours a very nice looking amber color with a nice 1 finger white head. Good lace already. Nice floral and citrus rind hop aromas in the nose. Slightly sweet up front mostly I would think from the honey and then there is a strong hop presence on your tongue. Citrus rind, grapefruit and a touch of pine. Nice medium mouthfeel. When fresh this is one of the best IPA's around.

10-04-2010 12:31:44 | More by kbutler1
calir1

Oregon

4.55/5  rDev +1.3%

I wish I could have this on tap. It is very delicious, but like Pliny, out of the tap is way better. What can I say though. Hopslam is good, but I always compare my happiness of Pliny to it and it takes a second every time. I will continue to buy it and love it, but hate the once a year thing

10-04-2010 11:42:52 | More by calir1
HeadofHops

4.35/5  rDev -3.1%

This beer is not for the weak of tongue. Intensely hoppy with out being over the top If you are gonna invest in the price of a six pack (near 20 bucks) you had better like hops, but for those of you who do its worth the price. One of many brilliant beers bt Bell's Brewery, pride of Michigan.

09-30-2010 17:52:00 | More by HeadofHops
Vaison

Delaware

4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

12oz bottle, batch 9478 poured into a Nonic pint glass.

Pours a light amber color with a fluffy very white head. I mostly smell the honey and orange and not so much the hops. Every so smooth feel and the carbonation is great for me. Has a touch of the honey sweetness up front backed with the hops load on the other end. 10 ABV, where? I hardly felt it until afterward, on my breath and in my stomach. Probably the most drinkable brew with this high ABV I've had yet. I loved every bit of this one and I only wish I had it available in my area. Loved it.

09-18-2010 22:43:20 | More by Vaison
sogrady

Maine

4.7/5  rDev +4.7%

This is one of the better IPAs available. Hoppy as all get out, as the description notes, but near perfectly balanced by the honey. The result is a clean drinking, aggressively hopped IPA with strong citrus notes and an underlying but non-cloying sweetness.

The appearance was the only thing less than exceptional about the beer. My only regret is that their general distribution stops well short of Maine. I would buy a lot of this.

09-14-2010 03:15:33 | More by sogrady
BeerAdvocate

4.22/5  rDev -6%

Review from BeerAdvocate magazine Vol. II Issue VIII:

So, given the name, we can probably assume this is going to slam our palates with hops and then twist our minds with that interesting honey addition. We're ready for this beer geek, hophead legend.

Bright amber in color, topped with a lively, foamy, off-white creaminess that rises high and settles to a good two-finger-thick head--sticking to the glass and not going anywhere anytime soon. The aroma? Massively aromatic with some raw honey and floral perfume that nearly intoxicates on the spot. Some caramel too. The taste? It sneaks up on you. It's light at first, opens up to some sweet honey, toffee candy, alcohol, and then come the hops. It begins with some hemp oil, little bit of ruby grapefruit, white pepper, and then intensifies as it coats the palate with a slickish consistency. Chewy. Fruity esters in the middle. Alcohol says hello and reminds us that we're being slammed, as it reintroduces the hops, which have made camp on our palates at this point. They hang out well into the linger. Finishes with a dried grass, hoppy finish, faint soapiness, and alcohol fumes on the breath.

We've been HopSlammed. There's no going back. The Alström Bros want more. Please send full cases to the address listed on our website. Cheers!

09-13-2010 20:47:44 | More by BeerAdvocate
TheHoppiest

4.1/5  rDev -8.7%

Poured from a bottle into an oversized snifter. Pours a honey-amber color, with a soapy white head providing excellent lacing on the sides. This bottle is about six months old or so, so I'm curious to see if the hops have mellowed at all.

Smell is piney hops, decent resin, and a touch of citrus. There's an underlying yeastiness - perhaps from the age? I don't recall this in the younger bottles.

Age has definitely tempered this hop monster. Still plenty hoppy and bitter, but that bitterness quickly fades for a floral honey taste. Still some astringency nipping at the tongue. Definitely tasty, just not a Hop Slam.

Mouthfeel is medium to full; this is still a DIPA, even if it is 6 mnths old!

Even aged this is a damn drinkable brew. Maybe there should be a second category for rating this more mellow, but not too mellow, version of Hop Slam. Don't be afraid to cellar this one for some time; just expect that the hops will fade and a clover honey taste will start to present.

09-10-2010 01:31:30 | More by TheHoppiest
BMan1113VR

4.3/5  rDev -4.2%

Many bottles over the years, here are my notes from two different batches:
Bottle marked 8277. Pours with a small white head covering a hazy orange body. Some good lacing. Aroma of citrus hops (mainly orange), and a large caramel back bone. Taste is very malty (drinking a winter bottle in the summer). and some slightly orange hops in the finish. Creamy mouthfeel lively bubbles. Would not age too well.

Batch 8907. Pours with a huge, fluffy off-white head with tight bubbles. Clear golden body underneath with a few particles. Great lace and retention. Aroma is quite strong and room filling. Pungent with pine, melon and honey. Alcohol and caramel on closer inspection. Dank C-hops. Taste is big and hoppy with orange and citrus bitterness up front and through the mid palate. Finishing with lingering notes of honey, caramel and floral hops. Silky mouthfeel. Really good!

09-09-2010 21:44:48 | More by BMan1113VR
bunnyhustle

4.55/5  rDev +1.3%

Finally got my hands on some of this lovely beer! Pours a clear golden bronze with 2 finger white head. Smell is heavy on the citus hops, with a sweet grapefruit kick. Taste is very similar with a sweet, almost candi sugar like malt and citric backbone. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and smooth as silk going down. Overall an amazing beer and as so many others have said the abv is well hidden!

09-09-2010 20:03:33 | More by bunnyhustle
harpus

Alabama

4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

A: Clear amber color with a 2 finger head.

S:Fruity and citrusy hops with slight honey scent.

T: The honey takes away a lot of the hop bitterness and also makes the 10%abv go down really smooth. Probably one of the smoothest 10%abv beers I have drank.

M: Smooth with Medium carbonation

D:Some will say its too strong but I feel its highly drinkable. This beer hides the 10% ABV like a 7% ABV beer.

09-04-2010 12:28:48 | More by harpus
cbak999

4.6/5  rDev +2.4%

A - pours a crisp orange color, with a 1/2" head that quickly disipates to just a slight covering. Great lacing with every sip.

S - Very fruit forward. I smell apricot! Lots of it. The other smells are pine and citrus.

T - YUM! This is sweeter than I expected, but not boozy sweet; fruit sweet.

D - this beer is super drinkable for the ABV. 10%...wow! It's hidden very well. This is a great IIPA!

I will certainly seek this beer out anytime I can find it!!

09-03-2010 22:43:49 | More by cbak999
boomer31

4.53/5  rDev +0.9%

Notes taken from tasting at eccentric cafe 8-23. Finally a chance to review one of the great Imperial IPAs

A - Golden clear with a tiny white head

S - Sweet piney hops and a touch of grapefruit. Tough to really nail down all the hoppy goodness in here. Great nose

T - Huge grapefruit hop and some residual sweetness up front. Loads of hop fruitiness and sweetness from the honey. No dry bitterness in the back. Fantastic

M - Low carb, not dry but not overly sweet

D - WAy to easy to drink. Don't get any ABV as the hops do a great job masking it.

I love this beer. One of the few 6 packs I seek out every release.

09-02-2010 01:55:40 | More by boomer31
knoxtennessee

Tennessee

I had a six pack and managed to keep one for four years in my basement. The difference between a fresh one and an aged one is more than daylight and dark. It was a differnt beer altogether. A- poured with a steady hand it is a medium copper and clear as a bell. S- too many aromas to list. Hops are still present but greatly diminished. Lots of wine and meadlike aromas. Tons of pear and appley esters, a little yeast, malt flavor has been replaced by fruit and honey. T- same as aroma. Lots of honey, pear, apple, a little citris, some tropical fruit, white wine, virtualy no malt, mineraly yeasty, old and vinios. M- thin and wll attenuated with a pleasent med-low carbonation. Tiny champaign bubbles. D- I'd drink it till I die. A beer ment to be consumed fresh that just happens to become liquid magic after a few years rest.

08-28-2010 19:25:46 | More by knoxtennessee
grannun

4.97/5  rDev +10.7%

This could possibly be my personal all-time favorite beer!

Appearance is a beautiful golden-orange with very light head when poured. Smell is hops, hops, and more hops, guess that's why they call it Hopslam... Taste is incredible! Very strong hoppy taste, strong bite from the alcohol which subsides after a few sips, but the honey ties it all together. After a few sips, I stopped tasting the intensity of a alcohol and the bitterness and the complexity of the hops and honey flavor really came through. Only downside (or upside in some situations) is the strength of the alcohol, I have to be in the mood for something strong to want it.

08-26-2010 18:01:33 | More by grannun
KickInTheChalice

4.8/5  rDev +6.9%

On tap at the Eccentric Cafe.

Appearance: Pours a dark tangerine color with a solid white head. Good level retention and some nice lace stick. A bit hazy and unassuming considering how much of a hopped up, high ABV DIPA this is.

Smell: Such an elegant blend of hoppy goodness. Juicy grapefruit and pineapple, with orange and a bit of honey in the background.

Taste: This is truly what I have been looking for in a double IPA since I was introduced to the style. It is tough for me to tell when the honey really impacts the flavor, but there is a distinct pale malt sweetness at the beginning of the sip. This malt really frames the hop profile well. Juicy pineapple and grapefruit, along with some other smoothly blended citrusy fruits. Such a fantastic hop profile. Finishes clean and smooth.

Mouthfeel: It would be hard to hide the grainy hop feel and oil, but this is tied together so well. A nice creamy feel, with a fuller than medium body. Finishes clean, with just a touch of hop residue, and it leaves me longing for the next sip.

Drinkability: Having this on tap was absolutely mind blowing. The difference between having a fresh batch is remarkable. It is so difficult to enunciate the nuances that really push this beer over the top.

08-23-2010 04:09:02 | More by KickInTheChalice
greenbean3

Tennessee

4.68/5  rDev +4.2%

On tap in my garage ;-).

Appearance: Pours a beautiful straw color. Care taken not to agitate the keg and kick up the yeast. Nice head and great lacing on my bubble mug.

Smell: hops, hops and more hops. Usual citrus notes for an IIPA

Taste: How can I describe this wonderful brew. It lives up to its name. Hops are in your face upfront. Grapefruit and other citrus notes follow and then the honey sweetness takes over. Finish is the alcohol burn that reminds you of the 10 percent alcohol level.

Mouthfeel: smooth with a dry finish that reminds me of other Bells products.

Drinkability: I try to session this puppy but my wife is getting upset with me stumbling around the house after a few. You just can't drink this beer as you would like.

Hopslam is by far the best IIPA out there; bar none. I'm moving to Dallas and will miss being able to drive to KY to pick this up early in the year. I just hope that Bells distributes into TX sometime soon

08-15-2010 23:49:25 | More by greenbean3
HosP

4.28/5  rDev -4.7%

Got a bottle from Patchmaster, thanks!

A- Poured very nice light amber, dark orange. Slight haze with 2 finger head. Never fully left but left lacing on glass.

S- Very sweet smell. Citrus hops are most prominent.

T- Big hop taste at the front of the drink. The sweetness takes the bitterness factor down. Bitterness comes away toward the end, but not as much I'd imagined. The sweeter malts really came through as the beer warmed. Good balance all around.

M- Medium body. Good carbonation. Slight bitterness stays with you.

D- Very easy to drink beer. Very typical IIPA at first, but the sweetness really stands out. Great overall beer.

08-13-2010 01:14:21 | More by HosP
Patchmaster

4.03/5  rDev -10.2%

The local liquor store had a sign posted when I went in today that offered a few remaining cases of hopslam. All you had to do was ask. The batch was from 2009 based on the # so I knew it was passed it's peak prime. I went ahead and got a sixer just to see the difference. I had off a keg earlier in the year at a brewfest so knew what I was getting into.

A - Poured a nice amber color. The head kept building as I let it sit. It was a very nice looking pour.

S - Definitely some fruits and some undertones of honey. The smell seemed to be a little faded, but I'm not complaining.

T - The hops immediately pop the beer gives off a great citrusy flavor. I wanted more, but could tell that it was a little mellowed out.

M - The maltiness of the beer was apparent not overwhelming though.

D - Highly drinkable. I would say that if you are looking for that strong hop"slam" it's here just a little toned down 8 months later.

I will definitely seek this one out when it is released again. I look forward to a"fresh" hopslam in the future...

08-12-2010 01:35:28 | More by Patchmaster
Dunkle

4.95/5  rDev +10.2%

I've been lucky enough to enjoy this delicious beer on-tap at Ashley's in Ann Arbor for the third time in the last two weeks.

A: Poured with 3/4-inch head which disappeared quicker than I expected. Golden-orange in color, absolutely gorgeous. Definitely an exciting-looking ale.

S: Hops, hops, and more hops! Fresh citrus hops were apparent, as well as a tad of honey.

T: Not nearly as bitter as one would expect from a DIPA. Initially my mouth was swarmed with the powerful hop flavors (mostly citrus) and then topped off with the honey, which continued into the aftertaste. The alcohol is almost unnoticeable. Very well balanced; almost perfect.

M: Well-carbonated and medium-bodied. Good for the style, but nothing extraordinarily special here.

D: It is scary how drinkable this is, weighing in at 10% ABV. Each time I've had this on tap, I was tempted to order another but held myself back.

I had it out of the bottle a few times in January and March, but the bottle does not do this beer justice. If you get the chance, do yourself a favor and try it on-tap!

08-11-2010 19:51:36 | More by Dunkle
DeutschesBier

Maryland

4.85/5  rDev +8%

Very rarely do you encounter a beer that smells as good as HopSlam. Pliny is right there, but it is tough to replicate. After I finished my beer, I could not stop smelling the empty bottle.

Along with the smell, I love the orange-ish color of this brew. That along with the smell let me know I was in for a treat.

The taste. Citrus. A lot of citrus. That, coupled with the amazing malt balance that this beer has makes this very dangerous. The alcohol heat came through a little at the very end, but that didn't stop this from being one of my 5 or 6 favorite beers I have ever had.

08-03-2010 01:18:28 | More by DeutschesBier
stimulus

2.4/5  rDev -46.5%

12 ounce bottle.
Batch #9470, bottled in December of 2009.

A: Pours a slightly hazy orange with light white lacing.

S: Aromas of melon and hops are prominent.

T: Melon and other citrus flavors show up, but they are absolutely dominated by the hop bitterness and alcohol burn, which linger.

M: Medium bodied and sticky with very high carbonation.

D: This is not a very drinkable brew, imo. Knowing this was a hop bomb, I tried aging it about 9 months, and it's been 8. That didn't help this brew one bit, as the hop profile STILL annihilates any semblance of a malty balance, and not to my liking. After having and enjoying beers like Ruination and Arrogant Bastard, and even any of the DFH DIPA's, I feel like all of them are very well balanced, but this was not. Bad batch perhaps, but I have been unable to find any indication of the sort. Note: compared side by side with DFH 90 Minute and Double Trouble, both of which showed balance in comparison.

2/26/11 Edit: After going through a fresh six pack, I feel like the beer was a bit past its prime when I initially rated it, but I feel like the beer still suffers from a lack of balance. I tasted a lot of honey rather than melon, but the honey never blends well with the hop character and the malt bill is just not enough to keep this beer from being overly harsh. At one point, I compared this to a Troegs Nugget Nectar, and the difference was remarkable: The NN tastes like a finished product while the Hopslam is still a mess.

07-26-2010 22:05:14 | More by stimulus
beerdrifter

Germany

4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

Thanks to Eric and Doug for this one as part of a trade. Clear yellow-orange pour with quickly fading head and decent lacing. Really huge and bold, floral, perfumy, citrusy nose with a hint of caramel malt. The taste is also huge with the mouth puckering citrus hitting you from start to finish. With that said, it's very well balanced. Really nice resiny, chewy mouthfeel makes this highly drinkable and the alcohol is completely hidden. This could be dangerous. Expected it to be somewhat subdued since it's out of season, but was pleasantly surprised by how big it still was. Can't imagine what a fresh one would be like. First non West Coast IPA that just blew me away. Totally awesome beer from a top notch brewery.

07-22-2010 19:33:28 | More by beerdrifter
Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.