Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 1,882
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.

(Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
4.38/5  rDev -2.4%

Holy cow! This is one hell of a beer!! Thanks to my buddy Dave (Bierenutz) i am getting the chance to try this one.

Poured in my Struise glass the beer has a very good look. A bit darker-yellow fluid with a super nice white firm head. Some carbonation in the glass, almost perfect.

The smell is exeptional, honey indeed and the fruity hops make this a feast for the nose. Perfect bitterness. With a very good and somewhat spicey mouthfeel and dito drinkability this is one of the best i ever had from the states.

Thanks again Dave, my brother from another mother!

Brabander, Jan 20, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +2.4%

Served on draft at Rustico on Alexandria, VA on 1.19.2011

A - Nice and bright / dark orange. Almost like an ambler color but had more of a golden tint. Also had a decent head of about roughly one finger's worth

S - Lots of citrus and hop, maybe some pine. I pickup some sweetness even on the nose.

T - My first impression of this is how smooth it is all around. It doesn't not have the bite of a dreadnaught and does not overpower you with sweetness. Obviously there is a lot of hop here but not as much as I was expecting. A good amount of tropical notes with a slight sweet malt finish. This years taste more sessioanlable and less hot than last year's

M - Medium Body, Carbonation just right and overall not too sticky like some DIPAs tend to be.

D - Very drinkable such a high ABV.

AndrewNations, Jan 20, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +1.3%

On tap at Bodega, served in a full pint. (Yessss!)

The head is big, rocky and sticky. Full on laceterpiece (credit Spider889 for this term). The beer is a clear orange-gold. The smell is apparent right away. Big sweet tropical fruits with pine backing it up. This is massively hoppy smelling but quite sweet on the nose. The taste is pretty in line with the aroma, in that it is hugely hoppy with out all the hoppy bitterness. A medley of tropical fruits; pineapple, tangerine, banana, and coconut. Dry body with a sharp carbonation. Superbly clean finish. One of the beers that I look forward to ever year.

MbpBugeye, Jan 20, 2011
4.7/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter. Fresh bottle just picked up this morning.

Pours a deep gold color with a good three finger fluffy white head that stuck around for at least 15 minutes.

Aroma is fruity hops and a tinge of alcohol. Some nice floral hop aromas make their way through as well.

Taste, as might be expected, is hops hops hops. Mostly grapefruit hops up front fading to floral and last but not least, that nice hoppy tongue coating flavor. A little alcohol in the first sips fades as my tastebuds become numb to anything but hops. Worth noting that the lack of bitterness is a great catalyst for the enjoyment of hoppy flavors.

Fantastic dry mouthfeel.

Feels like I could drink a case in one night. Amazing.

slowbie, Jan 20, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +1.3%

A- A beautiful amber color with a foamy head of about one fingers width

S- Fruity, aroma hits the nostrils as soon as the bottle is opened

T- A little dry with the same fruity tones through out the sip

M- Effervescent, tingles the palate

D- Very easy to drink, sometimes forget that it is actually 10% alcohol

zappuh, Jan 20, 2011
4.2/5  rDev -6.5%

This is a review of the 2011 Hopslam (duh).This beer pours a honey orange, very translucent with a light white head that rims the glass. It smells of citrus and pine with a lot of honey. Remembering last year's via the smell made me smile, almost laugh. Oh...Hopslam. I don't know where people are getting pineapple and other random fruits. The flavor is honey upfront followed by an entire pine tree with a pitcher of orange juice. I'm a fan, obviously, but this was WAY BETTER last year. It's well carbonated and goes down smoothly. This beer is very drinkable for the content. It boasts excellent flavor but this was FAR BETTER last year. It's not as powerful or strong or something. I don't know what it is, but it's off.

aasher, Jan 20, 2011
4.15/5  rDev -7.6%

Appearance- Bright glowing copper pour with 2 fingers of fluffy off-white head. Good lacing.

Aroma- The citrus come first, but underneath there is a fresh floral scent that really makes it smell bright. There is some sweetness here more sugar than malt.

Taste- Not the strong suit. There is the hop burst (albeit light), a nice sweetness that is not sticky or heavy but bright (I know that word again), and a crisp bitter finish. Overall there is a lack of flavor here, just not popping the way I feel it should based on previous vintages and other DIPAs.

Mouth- Good, it coats but doesn't stick.

Drink- Highly drinkable, I feel the lack of flavor is partially responsible for this.

Overall the word that describes this from soup to nuts is bright. It looks bright in the glass, it smells and tastes bright, and finishes light and crisp. But somewhere in the middle I lost the hopslam that I have come to expect over the years.

cadaugherty, Jan 20, 2011
4.95/5  rDev +10.2%

Damn, this stuff is awesome! A buddy of mine got a case last year and kept bragging about it and I didn't get what the big deal was, but mostly because he's a wanker. I've never seen it for sale and our local store, Beer Run had a limited supply. So, sitting at my miserable soul suckling corporate job at about 4:30, my wonderful wife asks if i saw the last part of the Decemberists live show on NPRs website because they asked Chris Funk what his favorite beer was. That's when it clicked: I forgot to call Beer Run to see if they had got some Hopslam in yesterday! I called. They had about two cases left. So, with $50 gift card in hand (thanks in-laws!) I shutdown my computer and explained to my co-workers, who would never understand, this desperate mission I was on. I showed up to Beer Run with lazer like focus on finding this before the other turdbags did. To my surprise, there were a couple of six packs sitting on top of a case, so I snagged the max I could, which was limited to two per customer. I was to busy chit chatting about how awesome this beer is while the girl rang me up and didn't even notice that it was $20 a six pack. Needless to say, it was well worth it and homeostasis is restored in my bio-dome.

morenone, Jan 20, 2011
4.45/5  rDev -0.9%

Crisp clear golden color. Nice frothy head laces the glass very well.

Hops blast off this guy. Pine and citrus are very prevalent. Lemon to grapefruit.

Sweet to the taste. A very present honey mellows the powerful hops. Herbal and citrus play very well off each other. While it is a super hoppy beer all the flavors come off very well balanced. The bitterness reminds me almost of apple juice.

Wonderfully smooth and drinkable. Has just the right touch of alcohol to help provide a kick to the flavors. It is lightly carbonated. Believe the hype... worth seeking out.

bfields4, Jan 20, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +3.6%

Just thought I would begin this review by telling everyone that I just poured the beer and was run over by the smell of fresh pineapple. I wasn't even trying to smell it!

Anyway, here we go...

A: Little to no head. Big huge bubbles collecting at the bottom of the glass. Nice dark golden color and fairly translucent.

S: Wow! Pineapple, pine trees, fresh cut grass, lemon. Hops galour. Can't say I smell the malt, however, there is a nice sweet touch in the nose. The smell is just amazing without burning your nose hairs. Booze is there for sure.

T: Earthy bitterness up front. Extremely creamy sweetness to balance it out but that bitterness is still kicking on the sides of my tongue. My teeth are coated in a perfect sweetness. The beer smells of fresh fruit but kicks of earth and pine needles. I have to say the only thing to pick apart here is the booze. I realize it's a 10% DIPA, but the booze is getting in the way. I do like that it is making my gums tingle with the beautiful spicyness of the hops.

M: Big time carbonation, the bitterness makes my mouth quiver. The sweetness just coats the mouth in an oily bitterness that is absolutely awesome.

D: Ok, the smell alone should give this beer an A. The scent is definately the best aspect of this beer, however it excells in every other aspect of the beer. I am amazed that after the smell, the malty sweetness can stand up to the overwhelming bitterness this beer packs. Thank you Bells. Make this a year around selection and I think I would personally keep your brewery in business.

rrski198, Jan 20, 2011
4.4/5  rDev -2%

12 oz. bottle poured into a standard pint glass. Here we go:

A - Bright golden color, with an inch or so of bright white head that fades down to almost nothing. Great lacing as it goes down.

S - Fresh cut grass and loads of citrus fruit

T - No doubt this has about as much flavor as you can shove into a beer. Heavy hops but some balanced sweetness too.

M - Thick and creamy.

D - It would be way too easy to try to get through a few, but the 10% abv says no

Awesomeness in a bottle

in780, Jan 20, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured into a tall pilsner glass from 12 oz. bottle. Poured at approximately 45 degrees.

A - Very nice clean amber appearance. Half inch head that leaves behind nice lacing on glass. Good, steady carbonation but not overly done.

S - Definite grapefruit and citrus aromas with a hint of pine coming through. Not at all overwhelming but very clean smell.

T - Very smooth and drinkable. Surprised that it's so smooth for such a high ABV content beer. Grapefruit and pine are present with a distinct grapefruit type of finish. Not as bitter as I would have thought but does have some bitterness at the finish; but not overwhelming. Very nice finish.

M - The word that comes to mind for mouthfeel is "clean". It doesn't cling but is very smooth and reminds me a bit of Pliny but probably not as strong.

D - Very drinkable for a 10% ABV. It is something to enjoy by taking your time and sipping.

I purchased this limited edition beer from my local party shoppe two days after being delivered. They offered it in mini-kegs, full 24 bottle cases ($63) and sixers. The store permitted mixing a sixer with any variety of singles at a 10% discount, so I popped in two Hopslams and other singles of my favorites. As for the Hopslam, I would have to say the hype is not overdone for this fine beverage as it is truly smoother, cleaner on the palate and so very drinkable over other Double IPAs that I've tried (similar to Pliny the Elder). The beer geek at the store indicated that this year's edition is improved over last year's. This was my first bottle but I must say that it was certainly worth the effort (Thanks for the tip RJHami).

Bluetrekrider, Jan 20, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

Picked up a 6 pack for $16.99. Bottled on January 5, 2011. Poured into town hall snifter:

A - pour produces a nice egg shell white head about two fingers thick. It dies down to a nice white ring around the edges but still looks fairly thick. Nice golden amber color that is transparent. Sticky lacing and legs.

S - Nice fresh citrus hops and a bit bitter. Grapefruit, pineapple, mangos and a bit of melon. The pine comes in a bit but not as much as the citrus comes through. Smells delicious!

T - Pretty fresh tasting, but the whole citrus smells are a bit dulled in the taste. Still nice flavors of orange peel, a bit of lemon zest, pineapple and melon. The bitterness comes in toward the finish with nice, although slightly dulled, pine notes. A pretty solid DIPA but I kind of expected more citrus notes in the taste. If it tasted the way it smelled it would be just awesome.

M - A bit on the thicker side. This will come from the 10%. Its a little syrupy but still good. The hops in this one kind of dry out the mouth on the finish. The zest and carbonation are pretty well present and are quite nice.

D - A nice DIPA. I had this last year when it came out and thought it was awesome, but ever since then I've had a lot more DIPAs and have something to compare this to. Although I really like it, I think I was expecting a lot more. Don't get me wrong, this is a solid DIPA, its just that there might be some other ones out there that I might enjoy better (think Abrasive.) I recommend it to anyone who likes DIPAs, it is worth seeking out. Delicious and smells great!

joshuaseresse, Jan 20, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +1.3%

12 oz bottle into Harpoon IPA imperial pint glass; feel very lucky to have gotten a precious sixer of this from the awesome Sam's Quik Mart in Durham, as both shipments are already gone. Let's go....
A - Pours a clear orange/light amber, with a nice foamy head that quickly dissipates.
S - Wow - am I in heaven. A nice, fresh hop blast, floral/ycitrusy/grapefruity and incredibly pleasant, w/a hint of candy sweetness in there as well.
T - Sweetness, but not overpoweringly so, right off the bat, quickly mixing with grapefruit/orange rind hops. The hop "slam" is surprisingly restrained, but oh so pleasant and extremely well-balanced. The alcohol only announces its presence at the end with a prickliness on the tongue - it's particularly noticeable when the beer warms. The honey is discernible at the end as well, but barely and is quite pleasant.
M - A bit of prickliness as noted from the alcohol, but other than that quite smooth.
D - 10%? Really? Only taste the alcohol when it warms, and when it's still chilled, I could seriously chug this beer, it's that easy to drink. Kudos to Bell's.
Now I understand the hype on this one; great beer and by the way, kicks the stuffing out of PtE in my opinion and it's not even close.

bosox941827, Jan 19, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +6.9%

A - Bright, hazed golden with a white head that retains and laces fairly well considering the abv.

S - Pine hops up front with a honey, caramel sweetness backing it up. Pineapple and mangos come out as it warms a bit.

T - Substantial tropical fruit hop flavoring comes through up front with pineapple, with a rich honey malt backbone, and finishing with a blast of resinous pine hops. I'm not sure how this could really be improved in any way.

M - Close to a full body with ample carbonation. Smooth, creamy, slick mouthfeel with accumulating hop oils and honey coating the mouth.

D - Wow, I never even got a hint of the abv. The use and execution of the honey to create balance is both unique and performed perfectly. The hops provide an abundance of flavor and while the bitterness is there, it never becomes overwhelming. Absolutely lives up to the hype for me.

garuda, Jan 19, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +3.6%

Finally, a Hopslam is mine! Snatched up one of the last six packs in Richmond. Batch number printed on the bottle, no freshness date though. Pours a dark golden color, with a moderate head and gobs of lacing. Hops hit the nose first, with some honey, a lot of pine, citrus. The hops comprise the majority of the smell but it is very well balanced. Hops also come to the forefront of the palate, with the honey becoming evident halfway through the tasting. The hops really shine, and instead of being a simple but tasty hop bomb like a lot of other IPAs, Hopslam's hops are well balanced and complex. Pine, citrus, and earthier hops all make an appearance, and the alcohol can be felt on the way down and it is damn good. Mouthfeel is full bodied and chewy. Drinkability is outstanding, with the elegant flavor, perfect bitterness, and alluring appearance combing to make this one I just can't get enough of.

Definitely worth the effort and hassle to obtain. What a great beer!

ramseye4, Jan 19, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +7.6%

Appearance: Glowing golden amber with a fluffy, soapy white head.

Smell: Citrus peels and honey.

Taste: This starts out light with a mild battering of citrus zest on the tongue before laying down the hammer with agressively fresh grapefruit, orange peel citrus hop and white pepper but wow it's oh so magically balanced with an indescribably complex bed of malts. Oh, and there's that underlying honey/orange sweetness like a touch of sunshine. Perfect DIPA 5.0, easy to drink, and very hard to believe it's 10% ABV, that is until 3 bottles later...

Mouthfeel: Smooth and medium bodied.

Drinkability: Legendary? Perhaps. Yes. Again, it's 10% ABV? Very, very good. Hops are fresh and tasty, but this one's got the balance and complexity to prove it deserve's an A+, and not just another hop bomb. Had this one on tap at the MN Brew Review as well.

2012 note- not as spectacular this year.

JackieTH, Jan 19, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +8.7%

Of the thousands of people trying this I consider myself special getting an entire growler fill (felt I overpaid though spending 23.25 for the fill)

A - Stunning IPA color, bright golden light amber with a light head that does make for some bubbly lacing.

S - Not so much "in your face" hops smell but I did get pine and citrus with a very well placed honey.

T - I couldn't believe how light the flavor actually was. Harsh at first making me think the IBU's were around 70 or 80 my palate adjusted itself. After the second pour the honey and hops played a symphony on my tongue. The malt base being the most complex I ever seen I could barley detect the ABV unless warmed but in my experience it was best served cold. Amazing.

M - It was pretty hard to get a feel but mostly medium bodied even warmed it was still very drinkable.

D - Wow it was amazing and worth every penny (which I kept telling myself in a drunk state) I could never imagine killing off a mini-keg within a few days time because just 5 put me under. Still to date it was one of the most drinkable DIPA's I ever got my hands on. If you can find a sixer for under 20 bucks buy it. It will be worth every penny.

DrDemento456, Jan 19, 2011
4.7/5  rDev +4.7%

Got this one in trade from Another6pack.

A: Pours wonderful golden/amber/orange color. Great white head with medium bubbles hangs on for a while but t does dissipate. Great lacing on the glass.

S: Great sweet honey like notes right away. Really get the hop profile in the nose, as it is the dominant aroma. Very dry nose to this at the end.

T/M: Taste is really just great fresh hops all the way through. Some bits of sweet honey at times in this one. However, the freshness of the hops really makes this a killer beer. Love the smooth mouth feel with its scrubbing feeling on the tongue. Great semi-dry finish doesn't overpower or make this a hard drink.

D: Love this beer! First year I have had it, and thanks to a great trader, I got my hands on this gem. The fresh hop character is amazing. Dry hop aroma in the nose and a great hop/honey balance in the taste make this an amazing beer. I will be seeking this one out next year for sure.

mbusster88, Jan 19, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +9.8%

To start off, I think I should say that I like IPAs, but not a whole lot. A few have blown me away: Widmer Brothers Deadlift, Bell's Two Hearted, and Bell's HopSlam (of course, I've had maybe a dozen IPAs in my short beer life).

The appearance is as clear as water but golden. The head is white and doesn't last very long. The smell, oh goodness the smell. It's beautiful. Grapefruit, easily. Also some floral scents that I think are a bit also like honey. A very smooth scent. Speaking of smooth, the taste is incredible. Same as the scents, a bit like oak, too, somehow. It might be the warming feeling. Speaking of that warming feeling, I can't taste much if any alcohol, and this beer makes me feel slightly warm all over. It creeps on me, though, sneaking in, making me take another sip. After several sips, there is that bitey, tongue-scraping feeling, but balanced well with the taste and the rest of the mouthfeel. A bit sticky, like honey, and warms the tongue after a bit. This beer is incredible.

TheKtulu7, Jan 19, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +7.6%

Batch number 10127, bottled on January 11th, just one week ago today. So, only a week old. Great.

Poured into a Duvel tulip. Great two finger egg white head. Dissipates fairly quickly and leaves some sticky lacing along the glass. Mostly clear dark yellow body that looks awesome in the glass.

This aroma is beautiful, the best IPA/DIPA aroma I've had so far. Hoppy grapefruit, tangerine, orange. The citrus and floral hops are prominent. A little sweet malt in the background.

The bitter hops dominate enough to make the flavors pop. Such a great blend of hops, it's really one of the most complex and deep hop profiles I've ever had. Add in the grassy, pine resin bitterness and you near hop perfection. The sweetness of the malt and the hint of honey in the background are the perfect complement in the flavor.

The mouthfeel is smooth, not overly carbonated. Almost TOO easy to drink for the abv. What a fantastic beer. A must have. It has risen to the top of my personal list as my favorite DIPA. I only wish it was available year round.

FanofHefe, Jan 19, 2011
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

The elusive HopSlam, we finally meet again. It has been too long, since our last encounter and yet it is a new rendezvous as this is our first time in a bottle. Now, I divulge.

A- Poured into a pint glass and yields a finger thick head. It is golden with a small trace of sediment floating about.

S- From the time it hits the glass I knew that this would be a pleasant experience as the smells erupt into the room. A strong smell of grapefruit, piney, and floral hops are apparent in the nose, one of the better hop aromas known to man in this one.

T- Alright, the nose of this beer is not at all deceiving as the flavor explodes on the tongue with an initial grapefruit/citrus flavor followed by a piney and slightly resinous aspect. I would not quite say that this is balanced by its somewhat sweet characteristics, but these are present. After a couple minutes of taking a sip, the bitter, resinous hop flavor is still there. This is a treat for the tongue.

M- The mouthfeel is nice for this beer. After not taking any sips for a few minutes, there is certainly that sticky feel that I do appreciate that comes from a more balanced IPA. Not extremely dry.

D- It is somewhat surprising that this beer is 10%. This is a beer that would definitely creep up on me. I could have at least 2 of these, but I'm sure that I could go further.

Excellent beer. Forget what the haters say, get you some HopSlam, be happy, this reminds me how good a DIPA can be.

rigdont, Jan 19, 2011
4.28/5  rDev -4.7%

I have to admit that I was a little afraid of this beer. The name. The hype. The description of "biting, bitter" etc. . .

But I was pleasantly surprised to crack open a very balanced, yet hop-forward, slightly sweet ale.

Pours a just slightly hazy gold with a pillowy head, that you hear as much as you smell as it bubbles and fizzes into your glass. None of the floaters that I associate with most Bell's beers. Tastes of well-balanced hops (not too floral, or on the other hand, earthy), with a sweet honey finish, that backs right up to a bitter hop aftertaste, that is dry enough not to bother. Very good mouthfeel, again, balanced carbonation and its dry enough to mask the high ABV. Frighteningly drinkable.

tmcelvain, Jan 19, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -8.7%

12oz bottle. Batch 10127. Bottled january 11, 2011. Poured into delirium tulip.

A - bright golden color with a thin white head that dissipates rather quickly leaving some sticky looking lace on the walls of the glass. The body is extremely clear and looks pretty nice, but the head is slightly lacking for such a hoppy beer.

S - very resinous pine and grapefruit hops with a sugary sweet backing. Very slight notes of honey and pollen that meld with a bit of an alcohol ester. Not much else here but a little more residual sweetness and hop resin. Fairly one dimensional.

T - there is a decent pop of hop bitterness upfront, mostly grapefruit, pineapple, and touch of sweet orange. The flavor of the honey is fairly apparent with a nice flavor of wildflower honey that balances the bitterness very well. Bordering on slightly too sweet, the beer walks a thin line between a sweet boozy mess and a well-balanced masterpiece. I really enjoy the flavor, but i don't quite out this flavor up there with the better DIPAs I've had.

M&D - the mouth is nice and fairly slick, but not too oily. Might prefer it a touch drier in the finish. The drinkability is pretty high for a 10% beer, but i wouldn't want to see what happens in the morning if i drink a number of these.

Overall, a really nice beer, but there are plenty of other less hyped DIPAs with similar qualities that can be had. Not quite worth the chase in the end.

dgfair, Jan 19, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

Let me preface this by saying that I had this with a 2010 Hopslam as well as a 2011 Sierra Nevada Hoptimum.

Poured from a 12oz bottle (from Brawleys, A HUGE THANKS to Mike Brawley who has always been incredible to me) poured into a Delirium Tremens Snifter.

A- A golden, hazy, orange with a finger white head that doesn't stick around but leaves a decent lacing on the glass.

S- It smells like I just squeezed fresh grapefruit. Awesome smell that just screams "DRINK ME."

T- Right upfront its Grapefruit and pineapple. The citrus hops shine and the hop bitterness is there as well. A slight hint of sweet malts and slight honey round out this great taste. A phenomenal complex flavor that you can't really improve much on.

M- Medium bodied. Silky, smooth. Solid.

D-The alcohol is evident, yes but it's 10%abv and it seems as if it is a 5%ish abv. Phenomenal.

So this is the first time I have had the famous Hopslam. I thought for sure (as posted in the forums) that it couldn't possible live up to the hype but it did. I will be getting as much as I can tomorrow to stock up. This beer is exceptional and I can't wait to have more. This beer is head and shoulders above the SN Hoptimum I compared it to.

Great Job Bell's

GehenHerzog, Jan 19, 2011
Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.