Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 1,778
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.

(Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
greengorilla

4.8/5  rDev +6.9%

I had this beer at a restaurant, poured into a pilesner glass from a bottle. It is an orangy amber color with a nice white head.

The smell and taste are awesome. There is all kinds of citris and hops in the aroma and the taste. It is like an explosion of citris and bitterness at the same time, and I like it.

The mouthfeel is quite good. I can't believe how drinkable this strong abv beer is.

This is a great beer.

02-26-2010 19:51:39 | More by greengorilla
adamette

4.35/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Review from notes. Enjoyed last night from tap into a standard pint glass at Ballantines in Willoughby as a part of their "IPAlooza" program (28 IPA's in 28 days).

A Translucent, light caramel body which might be lighter than the bottle version. I seem to recall that it was a bit more cloudy. Reasonable light brown creamy head but this might have been minimized by the bartender. 3.5

S Tart hops and malt goodness. A classic smell of a great beer. Inviting, interesting, potent. 4.5

T Floral hops with a significant malt sweetness and a warmth of alcohol that is all presented really nicely. This beer is sweet, sour and is bold in its tastes. 4.5

M Syrupy thickness along with that hops tartness, big, bold feel. 4.5

D This is a delicious beer that I cannot have too much of since it is so big with big ABV. 4.0

02-26-2010 01:37:42 | More by adamette
jeffthecheff

Connecticut

3.18/5  rDev -29.2%

Thanks Greg for the bottle.

Poured in to a tulip, its medium gold in color and quite hazy. On top sits a white head with good consistency. It starts off as one finger large and then recedes into a solid cap.

The aroma is weaker than I expected. It really isn't that intense at all. It has a general citrus and pine aroma, I would guess it uses Centennial and Simcoe in the hop bill. It's balanced more towards the pine, with just a touch of peach. It's a nice aroma, but it's on the weak side as far as DIPA's go.

The flavor of the beer is mostly focused on being brutally bitter. It is similar to licking the peel of a very bitter grapefruit. It's a bit harsh, but in a way that makes me want more. The sweetness to this beer is vague. There is no caramel, and the honey doesn't add enough for it to be recognized blindly. I can tell however that this beer uses highly fermentable sugars like honey, because the malt has no impact and lets the hops do their thing. Besides bitterness, the hops add a slight grapefruit flavor and some pine and menthol notes on the finish. There is also a touch of alcohol.

The palate is medium bodied with a relatively high carbonation. As it went on, I felt it was too much. I enjoyed the beer, but it needs more hop aroma and flavor....which isn't a good thing to be saying about a DIPA. I usually prefer aromatic DIPA's, and can care less about bitterness, so this isn't a favorite of mine.

02-26-2010 00:48:42 | More by jeffthecheff
baos

Indiana

4.35/5  rDev -3.1%

Served in Pint glass at Shallo's (from notes)

A: Very nice 2 finger head over deep golden body. Lacing is perfect.

S: Pineapples, orange zest and kind buds.

T: Spicy and smooth hop juice cocktail. Grapefruit-piny-orange yumminess.

M: The hops made my mouth to numb to feel... Not bad for this brew light to medium bodied.

D: Very drinkable for a super hoppy brew. Flavors come trhough without being overtly bitter.

02-25-2010 20:09:40 | More by baos
happilysurly

4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

12 oz bottle.
Nose: apricot, tropical fruit
Appearance: pretty
Taste: really good. I taste the alcohol, but its really masked by the mild bitterness and extreme fruitiness.
Finish: smooth fruity, hoppy slightly bitter

Note: I had a pliny the elder followed by a founders double trouble followed by a hopslam so keep in mind what has happened to my palate. I'll have to update this review when I can have this beer alone.

02-25-2010 16:21:21 | More by happilysurly
fastsrt

4.43/5  rDev -1.3%

poured 12 ounce in duvel tulip
A: golden, nice bone white head

S: aromatic as all hell, grapefruits, pineapple.

T: not as crispy as i had hoped, lots of citrus hops, the alcohol plays a major part in the taste as the malts are not there to support the body but the warming booze helps balance this one out it is great. and as part of the tastes, this one is all hops and alcohol.

M: lighter body, with a warming bite of booze and hops.

D: not that high i could drink two and thats about it, the alcohol makes it a sipper ipa and less of a drinker. I like to drink my ipa's I dont find the style conducive to sipping.

02-25-2010 05:53:14 | More by fastsrt
MrDanno96

3.98/5  rDev -11.4%

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden-amber color with about a finger of fluffy white head. The head dissipated a little fast than I would have liked, though. Lots of sticky lace on the sides of the glass.

S: A pretty incredible sweet nose on this one. Tons of fragrant grapefruit dominates the nose. A mix of pine and a little honey is also detectable.

T: Sweet tropical fruit dominates the flavor as well: pineapple and grapefruit. These flavors sit atop a malty backbone that transitions into a somewhat grainy (but not bitter) finish. Some honey comes trough in the finish too. Hop bitterness really takes a back seat and is almost nonexistent. The flavor is good, but it's almost too sweet (especially as the brew warms). I would have liked to see a little more bitterness to balance out the impressive array of sweet flavors.

M: A nice medium body with an appropriate amount of carbonation. The 10% abv is well hidden in the flavor, but you can feel it warming on the way down.

D: Definitely a good DIPA, but I don't agree with the majority that this is an amazing quaff. The flavor lacked the hop bitterness necessary to balance the high level of sweetness. I think perhaps "Grapefruit Slam" would be a more appropriate name. I would be interested to taste this without any honey added - I bet the flavor would have better balance.

02-25-2010 05:31:33 | More by MrDanno96
BeerGodz

4.97/5  rDev +10.7%

On Tap @ The POPE

Look: Golden amber, clear, with a a medium head and decent lacing (perhaps it was the glass?)

Smell: Massive citrus hop aroma! Malt and a slight amount of honey also present

Taste: Up Front: Sweet malt and hops do battle, grapefruit, apricot. Finish: Honey, with malt and hops still duking it out

Mouthfeel: Medium body, incredibly smooth and balanced!

Drinkability: Alcohol is well hidden, uber-drinkable, but watch out, it's a shit kicker!

Overall Impression: I started and ended my session with the mighty HopSlam. This is the best Double IPA I've had to date! That may not last though, because Pliny the Elder and Pliny the Younger are coming to Philly on March 1. (Edit: as it turns out, I actually preferred Hopslam to Younger, making this the 2nd best Double IPA, second only to Elder)

This beer reminds me of Boulder's Mojo in that it has honey and apricot flavors in addition to the typical grapefruit. Of course it's much higher octane, and the flavors are significantly more intense. Truly Nectar of the Godz!

02-25-2010 02:05:33 | More by BeerGodz
indiapaleale

4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

Pour - a beautiful shade of orangish auburn with some bright hues and a big fluffy white head. Looks fairly innocent although it pours a bit viscous.

Aroma - hops, hops galo re. Along with a boat load of sticky, resiny hops there is a good amount of sweet malt aroma. Its a bit skunky and syrupy as well. Its smells big.

Taste - my tongue is numbed and my stomach is warmed. Hopslam does both simultaneously. Big chewy hop flavors combine extremely well with a ton of malt sweetness which boosts that ABV to double digits. Plenty of citrus bitterness and astringent hop flavors to satisfy even the most staunch of hopheads.

Overall - a behemoth of an IPA that probably should leave you satisfied after one but more than likely pushes you to have another. There is a lot of hype that is for sure but it definitely delivers what it promises. The fact that a beer of this strength is as smooth and balanced as it is really makes this a standout offering from Bell's.

Would I buy more of it? - yes. This is a great beer and satisfies my hop fix just fine.

02-25-2010 01:50:52 | More by indiapaleale
thain709

4.18/5  rDev -6.9%

A - A bright yet slightly hazy golden honey body...a big, fluffy white head that never really leaves...lacing sticks to the side of the glass in sheets

S - What a sweet, citrusy nose...big and bold grapefruit aromas with a touch of lemon and orange...an underlying sweetness is present

T - The citrus flavor is predominant in the flavor...once again big and bold grapefruit and lemon flavors...they are sweet and not at all bitter...the honey plays a big part as well...it really adds another level of sweetness...which I found became too sweet and took away from the citrus flavors

M - Medium bodied...sticky sweet with a great finish

D - I was able to finally consume a HopSlam...I found it to be very nice...great citrus flavors with an underlying sweetness...my only problem would be the 10% ABV...but watch out because it's dangerous enjoyable

02-24-2010 22:46:40 | More by thain709
DosBeerigos

4.97/5  rDev +10.7%

C. Clear
H. Perfect Shade of Amber
N. The Name Doesn't Lie; Hops Hops and more Hops (pine, citrus, and subtle sweet notes)

Taken from my blog (www.dosbeerigos.com)
Shhhh..Don't tell Cerveza Chica, but I think I am going to have an affair with this beer. Yep, I'm in love. Super Hoppy, nice sweet notes, and very little malt...but just enough to get 10% ABV! I think I have found a new favorite beer. Sadly this one is really hard to get hold of, and is a nice limited release. The down side is I only picked up a six pack. While I'm not a huge fan of Bell's Beers this is amazing. If you can get your hands on this bad boy RIGHT NOW! This is hop perfection! I wouldn't change anything about this beer. I love the lingering bitterness. Ok, so here time for a score. Sadly I wont give a beer a 5, simply because there is no where to go from there, and aren't we all looking for the NEXT GREAT BEER?!? Well this is close to a 5.
Score:4.9777

02-24-2010 19:25:19 | More by DosBeerigos
feedmechili

Kansas

4.43/5  rDev -1.3%

Nice fluffy white head that stays around for a while. The beer is a darker shade of golden.

It smells like fresh grapefruit, or as my sister-in-law says, passion fruit. No piney hops here.

The bottle says "tongue bitingly bitter," but it doesn't overwhelm. It lastes like fresh, bright hops, with hop/citrus bitterness. You can't taste the 10% ABV. It is smooth and medium-bodied.

There is nothing bad to say about this beer. My sister-in-law, who doesn't drink a lot of beer, loves this beer. My wife, who hates the smell of beer, loves the aroma. If I had to drink this every day, I would be OK.

02-24-2010 19:02:06 | More by feedmechili
DwnTwnBwn

4.25/5  rDev -5.3%

Received from mreusch in a trade.

A- Poured into a Pint glass. 2 finger head Appeared and fell to a ring around the rim of the beer. Copper to Golden in color. Good amount carbonation visible, lace is only semi good. Slight haze to this beer.

S- Quite nice. Lots of Pine hops and Some Grapefruit too, its pretty strong, but not overwhelming. Slight notes of Honey Malt bring up the backbone.

T- Nice amount of bitterness to this DIPA but where it doesn't wow is with the Flavor of the Hops. It's mainly bitterness and little flavor to the hop profile. The honey plays nice with the malt backbone.

M- Good amount of carbonation and the right weight for a DIPA. Not alcohol Warmth.

O- This is a good example of the DIPA style but it needs more flavor and aroma hop character. The backend bitterness of the beer is nicely rounded then it falls flat on its face when the hop flavor steps up. The finish is nice and dry with the hops finishing it off.

02-24-2010 08:06:13 | More by DwnTwnBwn
Jayli

4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

Acquired this from beerbeerbeerbeer so a big THANK YOU goes out to him!
Consumed 2/22

A: This beer pours a nice, cloudy, honey color with a one finger of white creamy head. Head retains nicely and leaves tons of spider webbed lacing on the glass.

S: Nose is of piney hops and honey at the get go. Some grapefruit filter in like a complimentary after thought. Hints of sweet malts are also present.

T: Taste is out-freaking-standing. Sweetness hits up front, not honey or sweet malts, but some fruitiness, possibly mango. Then the hops take over with a sharp citrus flare. Grapefruit and some pineapple are present. Honey mingles in and blends ridiculously well. Finish has a piney, grassy hop to it that isn't overpowering as the honey somewhat sticks through the finish.

M: Medium body, moderate carbonation, oily and almost creamy on the tongue with a somewhat dry finish.

D: This beer is ridiculously drinkable. The ABV is very well hidden, dangerously well hidden. This is extremely well blended, goes down easily, little different take on the style and deliscious!

02-23-2010 13:56:33 | More by Jayli
abrand

4.4/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 ounce bottle poured into a snifter. I have been anticipating this beer for quite some time, so here we go.

The Hopslam pours a very clear and brilliant orange color with a quick dissolving head and some lacing on the glass. The pour is extremely clear with zero haziness. Aromas are floral, hoppy, citrus grapefruits. Not overpowering but enjoyable. Quaff is dominated with hops and citrus. Some honey is noted on the palate. Some pines come through with the warming of the pour. Not quite the bitter finish that I was expecting but there is a little bit of lip smacking bitterness. Mouthfeel is crispy and medium weight. Solid carbonation. It is well known that this is a very drinkable brew. The flavor profile and aromas are amazing and with very little of the hefty 10% punch it carries can lead to it sneaking up on you. But oh well, thats why we drink this stuff, right?

02-23-2010 03:55:28 | More by abrand
buschbeer

4.53/5  rDev +0.9%

I poured into a pint glass to a small off white head. It is gold and clear. I smell pineapple. I love it. The taste is juniper, pineapple, and booze. This is the best IIPA that I have had. The first one I had I didn't know what to make of it. This is my second time having it this season, and I really like this beer. Three or four of these beers would have me feeling real good!

02-23-2010 03:43:12 | More by buschbeer
HitokiriNate85

4.25/5  rDev -5.3%

Batch 9552.

A - Orange with a deeper, bronze hue creeping in around the edges. Great clarity, with is surprising for the style. The head doesn't last, but it does leave behind some lacing.

S - Hands down the best aspect of the beer. One of the best smelling beers I've ever had. Huge, gushing pineapple notes lead the charge, followed by some pine notes. Some pale malt notes in the background.

T - Follows the smell pretty well. The pineapple is still pretty dominant, but not quite as much. Some other citrus notes follow with just a little bit of pine. Pale malts provide a light and barely lingering sweetness. There is a bit of evident alcohol, but it doesn't really intrude.

MF - Pretty high carbonation, and it works really well. The body isn't really light, but the carbonation makes it feel almost so. Makes for a nice slick feel. Finish is pretty sticky. Does a lot for drinkability.

D - See above. Really good. It's hard to knock the evident alcohol since it's not strong or intrusive. Hopslam sure doesn't taste like 10%, but it naturally does catch up.

Edit: In my review of Founders Double Trouble last week, I said it wasn't as good as Hopslam. Now that I've reviewed both, though, their scores came out the same. Funny how that happens.

02-23-2010 03:39:23 | More by HitokiriNate85
thedrewski86

Indiana

3.48/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this at the Gerst Haus on tap. In a fishbowl, this left minimal lacing. Typical deep golden color. Floral smell. Taste is somewhat sweet, I'm actually thinking of the fruit taste more than I am noticing the hops. Overall I was relatively unimpressed. This was a good beer, but for what I payed I could have gotten way more buzzed on the Hausbrew!

02-22-2010 17:09:30 | More by thedrewski86
kshankar

District of Columbia

4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

Pours orange with a thick white head with good lacing

Aroma is of honey and hops. Citrusy scents

Taste is of the citrus hop profile balanced out by the sweetness from the honey. Interesting approach, which I liked.

Mouthfeel is medium and well carbonated

Drinkability is high. 10% be damned..this is great and easy to drink.

02-22-2010 05:48:46 | More by kshankar
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

4.85/5  rDev +8%

11 oz tap pour into a snifter at Uncle Mike's in Kenosha.

A - Brilliantly clear golden amber with a small dense off-white head. There was a little ring of foam left after low retention but lace left all over the glass.

S - Bursting with a huge citrus hop nose full of grapefruit. The aroma is more reminiscent of a fruit juice drink than beer actually. The malt and honey sweetness is potent in the background.

T - Bold malty and honey sweetness with no apparent alcohol flavor. Low bitterness to the finish but big grapefruit and pine hops.

M - Incredibly smooth and soft with a mellow balance of bitterness and sweetness. Medium-full bodied.

D - I've had this a number of times but never on tap and never for under $5 (are you kidding me?!). So good and dangerously drinkable.

02-21-2010 23:24:19 | More by BeerFMAndy
UglyBaby

4.83/5  rDev +7.6%

I just found a lil store by the house that has a great selection of craft beer and if they don't have they will get it.
I walked into the store I had never been in before with no real plan I knew I wanted an IPA but could have gone with a good stout. In picking the owners brain and talking beer with the guy he suggested this hoppy lil number. So on with the review.

This Yummy lil number poured from the bottle, no date that I could find, into a Sam Adams glass with an attractive orange copper colour to it. A nice fat head of dusty white billowed early but fell to a layer of spitty skim in short time. Gobs of lace clinged to my glass in the aftermath. The carbonation is moderate and persistent. This looks like a good one. Clear and clean as well.

As soon as I popped the top it hit me in the nose with a great fresh citrus fresh ripe sweet ruby red grapefruit/passion fruit punch aroma that I love so much in an DIPA. The nose is rife with green hoppy aromatics like holding a hand full of fresh hop pellets to your nose. At any rate the nose is succulent. Grassy and herbal. Fruity. Pines. Resin. Sap. You can almost smell the dryness.

The taste is Grrreat! Ahhhh! It is dry from the jump. Citrus flavours abound. I almost feel like putting an umbrella in this one. I would surely say there is some grapefruit, pineapple and mango impression here, but the aforementioned fruit that I am so hard pressed to identify lends its presence to the mix as well, maybe apricot. The alcohol is almost completely obscured and it works so well in tandem with the hop properties. This is an amazing beer expereince.

The mouthfeel is smooth and comes in at a medium level. The flavours morph and twist making this thing a magic act in its own right.

The drinkability is easy for me. I live for a beer like this. A total sensory bludgeoning with precision and complexity. The feeling of well being that has settled upon me is wonderous. This is easily my favorite beer from Bell's. Is this going to be an annual release or a one off? Please, keep it coming!

Thanks to my friend at my local store for this yummy beer!

02-21-2010 21:56:25 | More by UglyBaby
kbm

Arizona

4.15/5  rDev -7.6%

I've had Hopslam a number of times but was never impressed - mostly due to the freshness. I'm finally sitting down to a nice fresh pint.

Appereance: translucent copper/hay with a healthy white head, which never fully dissipated. Good lacing.

Smell: Sweet malts with aggessive piney hops. A little bit of apple hiding in the background. There's also a good deal of alcohol.

Taste: the sweet malts fighting with the bitter hops is great. Ultimately, the hops win out in the leaving significant bitterness on the back and sides of the palate. I love dry IPAs but Hopslam is a great tasting example of a malty DIPA. Very balanced.

Mouthfeel/drinkability: moderate carbonation with a creamy mouthfeel. Somewhere between gulpable and a sipper, I don't think I could do more than a couple pints.

02-21-2010 21:06:09 | More by kbm
Dan2165

4.15/5  rDev -7.6%

Knew this was rare, but witnessing the want of this is unbelievable. People lined in DROVES at beer fests and reservations were needed at every store that would carry it, haha. Anyway:

[A:] Light golden, like a honey lemon almost. From the name alone I was expecting an amber or darker, so a surprise when it was poured.

[S:] Fruits all over the place (not really surprising). Every citrus you could think of with a hint of honey in the middle.

[T:] A close to perfection balance of sweet to bitter I think. Fruits and the honey really shine.

[M:] No viscosity or heaviness to it at all.

[D:] Packs a punch if you aren't careful so i'd recommend two at the most. But after one it gets you hooked. Started a little bitter but finished with a sweet aftertaste.

02-21-2010 17:12:45 | More by Dan2165
Nesued

South Carolina

4.05/5  rDev -9.8%

Appearance - A clear amber/orange coloring with an ample head forming upon pour. Head retains for many minutes after the pour, with lacing begining to form as I watch (and smell) this offering. I fine carbonation feeds the head, allowing the robust head to continue for a fair bit.

Smell - Don't need to bring this to my nose to get a wiff of this bad boy. Lively grapefruit, bright citrus notes abound. If only this could be bottled and sold as ambrosia. What a lovely burst of pineapple and fruit aromas. So very inviting.

Taste - Resin and oily entry, coating the tongue with the expected presence of hops to the max. Suprisingly the ABV is exceedingly well hidden. I almost (almost!) taste some sweet malt backbone here. Perhaps I'm reaching, however there is a relief here from the hop onslaught.

Mouthfeel - Slick and coating, as you would expect from a hop-bomb. There is a density here with ample carbonation assisting.

Drinkability - The ABV is well-hidden here, giving the feeling that you could continue enjoying these one after another. Not sure, my taste buds are pretty much "nuked" after this and anything more mild would have a hard time being noticed.

02-21-2010 02:44:11 | More by Nesued
Morey

4.58/5  rDev +2%

This inviting brew pours a very pale orange color when held up to the light. There is a slight haze to it, but otherwise, it's pretty clear. Head has settle to a thin lace with some areas of bubbles. Good head retention, especially for being so high in alcohol.

Smells of hops and honey with slight earthy notes also making themselves known.

Taste- The combination of hops and the honey make this a unique tasting DIPA. You get the bitterness, and then in comes the honey (and perhaps a little malt too) to round this beer out.

Mouthfeel is spot on. The way the honey coates the mouth after the hops is really what makes this beer. And there's very little carbonation to get in the way.

VERY drinkable for 10%. Hopslam hides the alcohol as well as Unearthly (which is 11%). If getting wasted wouldn't get it the way, I could session this beer no problem.

Morey's Bottom Line: I know that there's a lot of hype around this beer, but it lives up to it. If it weren't a limited seasonal the hype wouldn't be so blown up. Plus, I think that it's fun to get excited about beer. Right now, this is definitely my favorite beer.

02-21-2010 00:07:30 | More by Morey
Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.