Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 1,762
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.

(Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
IronCitySteve

4.22/5  rDev -6%

A: Pours a hazy yellowish amber color. Provides a small white foam head with decent lazy.

S: The name is hopslam and the hops are predominant (shocking, I know). Lots of citrus hops with just a slight hint of malts. Complex and appealing.

T: A great combination of hops and malts. Hops are most prevalent, but there is a smooth sweet malt kick as well. Blended well together.

M: Leaves a nice dry hoppy finish on the palate.

D: A really high ABV keeps this from being a session obviously, but 2-3 in a sitting is more than doable.

04-15-2009 12:49:44 | More by IronCitySteve
crazeguy

4.13/5  rDev -8%

Batch 8907 Bottled on January 6, 2009

Its a little over 3 months old but still my first time with this beer. Pored from a 12oz bottle into a Pilsner Glass.

Hazy orange, with sediment floating wildly. Minimal head.

Smell is citrusy and hoppy.

Taste, subdued hops. Grapefruit. Nice balance.

Mouthfeel, well with the sediment its not exactly A+, but could be my fault from an over excited pour. Laces the tongue with an almost sour taste.

Drink, decent. I can only imagine how much better this would be fresh, but until than, this is what I have to go off of. I'm not going to knock it for not being fresh but I most likely won't give it a score it deserves. Or hell, this could be how it normally tastes.

Anyone I would drink this again but prefer a fresher bottle.

04-15-2009 07:32:55 | More by crazeguy
ThaBobfather

4.25/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

An overwhelming smell of hops. Almost like a garden's fresh topsoil. Smells like spring flowers.
Pours deep ruby red with golden edges. Pure white head is beautiful.
It tastes like eating a rose garden, in a good way.
Biting bitter taste invades my taste buds.
It's delicious but not what I would categorically call very drinkable.

04-13-2009 20:00:50 | More by ThaBobfather
flexinwext

4.78/5  rDev +6.5%

My favorite double IPA to date. Pours a nice amber color, smell sensation with citrusy hops and some I couldn't describe. Just delicious. The hop taste is just perfect. I was glad I decided to split this six pack because the alcohol was so well disguised I would have been in a world of hurt later. My friend is not really a beeradvocate and he loved it. Must try!

04-12-2009 15:06:28 | More by flexinwext
hophead247

4.13/5  rDev -8%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass..Pours a nice coppery hue. Aroma is overwhelmingly pleasant, with some citrus, piney, and earthy notes pleasant. I'm guessing several types of hops were used here, with a surplus being put on the aromatic hops. The flavor is extremely balanced well. The hop flavor profile seems to lean on the citric side, and it isn't nearly as imposing as I anticipated, which is not a bad thing here. I wouldn't guess this was any where near 10%. The malt profile really comes through well, and I the taste of honey works rather nicely. All in all, definitely on my top 5 IPA's because of its balance.

04-09-2009 03:30:31 | More by hophead247
greenjeff4141

4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured a nice orange/golden color, like the color of brandy. Had a nice white head which retained good lacing at first but subsides as the beer settles.

The first smell I got was hops, then citrus and pineapple ,and the taste was the same. The first flavor is the citrusy hops, then a little sweetness and then the alcohol. Although it's a strong 10% the alcohol blends right in and the beer is quite deceiving in this respect. Lastly the hop bitterness lingers, but in a good way. The feel in the mouth is oily and the carbonation is quite noticeable but not overbearing. All in all a great balance of all the flavors. I've been drinking a lot of IPAs lately and this one lives up to its reputation. I think I like the Stone IPA a bit better though, however this one is definitely in a class above the rest.

04-09-2009 03:16:12 | More by greenjeff4141
rpstevens

New Hampshire

4.2/5  rDev -6.5%

I received this bottle from Bruisin Ales in North Carolina, great transaction, I will definitely be doing more business with them in the future.

The beer pours a great amber/orange color with that nice IPA glow. There is a small white head that dissipates quickly but the lacing is thick and slow to move down the sides of the glass.

The smell is very sweet, citrus hops and honey for sure. There is a little pine and floral hops as you investigate further, but the citrus and honey dominate.

The beer tastes exactly how it smells, bitter citrus hops burst over the tongue and the honey follows it up for a very nice balance. The honey sweetness adds a nice balance and masks the 10% abv very nicely.

The beer is carbonated perfectly and feels great, nice and smooth, not too much alcohol flavor present making it very drinkable. I have been drinking the Harpoon Leviathon lately but this beer blows it out of the water. Similar abv, but the Leviathon doesn't hide it well at all, whereas the Hopslam is something that I could drink all day. Great beer!

04-08-2009 20:29:28 | More by rpstevens
taez555

4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

Reviewed from Notes. Tasted 2/26/09 - Thanks to fellow BA Speakorspasm for hooking me up with this one.

This beer poured a bright, mildly opaque orange/tan body with a nice sized white head. The head was surprisingly large for a 10% ABV monster.

Nose is thick and present with resin, citrus hops but with an overall honey like sweetness. Touches of caramel, some other sweet notes and even some pine needles. There's a nice herbal flowery smell as well. A really nice nose.

Taste is very thick with an immediate big hit of BOTH strong resin bitter citrus hops and a huge flavor of honey that work PERFECTLY together. The honey is a nice natural honeycomb type flavor and gives this beer a honey slick syrupy mouthfeel. Nice strong bitter citrus, pine, potpourri, resin hop flavor. Extremely bitter from start to finish. The honey just works so perfectly. The 10% is hidden at first, but really sneaks up on you.

Wow!!! What a cool beer. Honey and hops? Who would have known? It works like chocolate and peanut butter. So amazing. Seriously one of the best beers I've had in a while.

04-08-2009 18:15:22 | More by taez555
BeenJammin

Kansas

4.55/5  rDev +1.3%

This beer looks great, with a burnt orange color and a nice, big beige head. It's aroma is phenomenal. It is loaded with floral and citrus hops. The flavor is much the same. Such a bold, spicy and citrus hop flavor. There is also some good malt sweetness and you can definitely taste the honey that was added. It is sufficiently bitter for a DIPA. It has a full flavor and medium body. I don't crave more than one of these beers in one sitting but it is not out of the realm of possibilities since it is so good overall.

04-08-2009 01:44:20 | More by BeenJammin
kinnaird

3.88/5  rDev -13.6%

I received this bottle in a trade from alleykatking. Thanks Josh!
Poured into my standard pint.

Pale orange, transparent body. 2 finger, pale effervescent head.

Smells very floral and piney. I only catch a whiff of the honey, but the hops dominate.

Tastes first of sweet malts followed by the hop bite with a good bitter followup.

The feel is nice and light with a good bit of carbonation.

The twelve ounces went down incredibly easy. I couldn't believe how quick I drank the one bottle without even trying.

I previously had this beer from another trade but didn't review it because it had been in the bottle too long. I'm glad I waited for a fresher sample because age tends to make the honey dominate and it becomes a hoppy mead. If had fresh enough, the honey really helps to lighten the body and accentuate the hops. Very well done.

04-07-2009 22:54:31 | More by kinnaird
spycow

4.28/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 ounce bottle poured into a Duvel Tulip.

A: Pours a copper color with a slight haze. Leaves a small head with a nice lacing in the glass.

S: Unbelievable smell. No doubt the hoppiness is there. Strong smell of fruits and herbals. Something tropical, citricy and slightly sour (but pleasant).

T: Absolutely lives up to its name. You can really taste the earthy hops, the citrus and tropical notes, with a hint of a nuttiness. Tastes complex but very smooth and the strong alcohol does not overwhelm the taste. Typical of a good hoppy IPA it leaves an unbelievable aftertaste after each sip getting better and better.

M&D: It really coats your mouth with a smooth, oily like feel. Excellent feeling as its not that carbonated and really just right. For an imperial IPA it is very drinkable. You could easily drink several but the strong alcohol could sneak up on you if you are not careful. Easily that good.

An excellent version of the imperial IPA. A little pricy $15.99 for a 6-pack but well worth the price if you like a hoppy IPA. Highly recommended. Like many of the other Bell products...all really well brewed.

04-05-2009 03:57:16 | More by spycow
ccrida

Oregon

Huge thanks to johnmichaelsen for this one. 12 oz bottle poured into my Delirium snifter, Hopslam is a chill hazed pale orange with creamy off-white head

Smell is bright and resinous floral hops and sweet malt and honey. Grapefruit hops as well.

Taste is hoppy and sweet, very rich. Pretty decent hop flavor without a ton of bitterness, more spicy, and really heavy on the malt and honey (which almost seems like it was added after fermentation). I'd prefer a more floral then spicy pine hop flavor, overall it's a bit spicy for my taste in the style, a bit to rich as well. Oddly though, it seemed to get even more pungent as it warmed from fridge temp, and really started to grow on me. A nice beer that I'm glad I got to try, thanks again John!

Mouthfeel is oily, chewy and dry.

Drinkability is pretty good, it's a hefty, malt forward DIPA, but the hops are pungent no doubt. The high ABV is well hidden, mainly just coming through in the dry, spicy finish. At the end of the day it just wasn't quite my taste in the style, but I enjoyed it, more so when it warmed up a ton (which isn't normally the case with DIPAs for me).

04-05-2009 03:21:53 | More by ccrida
meatmallet

4.8/5  rDev +6.9%

Appearance: A deep golden color with light carbonation rising from the bottom. A medium white foamy head stuck around the edges for some time.

Smell: The hopp aroma hits me first followed by sweet grapefruit and a light malt.

Taste: Very complex. It begins like a grapefruit peel, a little bitter and earthy. It then gets more sweet but the slight sour taste lingers. The aftertaste stays with you for some time. Awesome.

Mouthfeel/drinkability: The carbonation and body are light. One of my favorite beers ever.

Serving type: growler

04-05-2009 02:33:58 | More by meatmallet
Livelaughlovep

4.83/5  rDev +7.6%

No freakin' kidding!! I can see why it is so loved. This stuff is amazing. The tag is never a cheap one, but I can see a budding romance starting with this stuff.
Out of the bottle, poured into my pint glass... the color is just lovely. A somewhat hazy soft orange, and then a nice tall fluffy head. As you bring it to your nose, scents of citrus are apparent, and then warm summer day - the exact smell of a warm summer day. The hay, mown grass, warmth. The fluffy head retreats to some appreciable lacing. First sip.... Essence of grass, hay, lemons!!! LEMONS!!! and grapefruit. As you swish, and then swallow, more grass comes through, hitting you in the back of the throat with one helluva bitter swallow. That is what brings you back for another swig. I don't taste honey as much as perceive it.
The mouthfeel is medium-bodied, rich and slightly oily on the tongue - it is silky. No real carbonation to speak of.
This evokes summertime fun, with is grassy, citrusy explosion. The ABV is a shocker: You don't taste it. It goes down lovely and smooth.

04-05-2009 02:12:30 | More by Livelaughlovep
Martin2D

4.45/5  rDev -0.9%

A - Amber with a huge head that retained quite well and laced as it receded

S - Hop notes with some floralness

T - Distinct hop presence with a slight malt accompaniment. Hops are a mix of grapefruit and other bitter florals.

M - Perfect carbonation and mouthfeel.

D - I could easily pound these all night. Not an absolute hop bomb, but great hop presence. After having Two Hearted first, I was not expecting much, but this beer is exponentially better and completely different.

04-04-2009 23:57:53 | More by Martin2D
alcstradamus

Washington

4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

A--Pours a golden/copper color with a slight bit of murkiness. Near white head was about a finger tall, although I don't think I gave it a very good pour. It recedes but doesn't disappear. Good lacing down the glass.

S--Simply amazing. Pineapple is the dominant scent, but there really is a whole mixed bag of tropical fruits present. With a tad bit of warmth pine notes begin to come through.

T--Very tropical hop profile. Not overwhelming yet still very bitter and flavorful. A bit of honey sweetness.

M--So oily that it glides down the throat and coats the whole mouth in the process. After it is swallowed a piney bitterness charges back up the throat and if you are lucky you get to have the most amazing hop burps!!

D--How in the hell this is 10% ABV I have no clue. Because of the high alcohol content I would have to force myself to drink no more than 2 at a time. 3 if its all I'm having. I could drink it all night based on the beer itself though.

Hopslam is unquestionably a world class beer and one of my favorites. It would make a great introduction to DIPA's as well since it is so easy drinking.

04-03-2009 21:11:20 | More by alcstradamus
badmoon

4.93/5  rDev +9.8%

Served in a tulip from a 12oz. bottle.

A: Nice amber/orange color. I got about one finger of head but nice lacing remained.

S: Unbelievable nose on this one! Hints of pineapple and other fruits. I've never smelled anything quite like this.

T: If you love hops, and I mean LOVE hops, this is the beer for you! This is one of the most complex brews I've ever tasted. Very well balanced.

M: This is a little on the sweet side but just barely. There is a slight hint of alcohol at the finish but nothing to worry about. Nothing unusual for this style.

D: It would be very easy to pound several of these very quickly but at this price, they are strictly a treat for me. And yes, it's that good.

Overall: This may be my favorite beer right now, overtaking Surly Coffee Bender. Hopslam is drying up around my area so I may have to find a sixer to hide away for a rainy day. Excellent!

04-03-2009 03:40:02 | More by badmoon
DarbyOGill

Wisconsin

4.65/5  rDev +3.6%

A: Pours a golden amber, I only got about a pinkys worth of head, but there's some pretty decent lacing. This beer has high turbidity.

S: All I pick up is some delicious smelling piney hops. I also get a hint of orange, but I don't pick up any malt. Just what I'm looking for in a DIPA.

T: Really hoppy start, I mean, REALLY HOPPY. I get a lot of the orange and pines I smelled, but there was one flavor I picked up that was kind of surprising. I got a hint of Pineapple which I've never tasted before in a beer. After the initial, hop slam, I get a faint smooth burn of alcohol, and it finishes with a strong malty finish. This is probably the finest beer I've ever tasted.

M: Pretty standard for an IPA/DIPA. Nothing surprising about the mouthfeel.

D: I couldn't see me drinking a lot of these, but at 10% ABV, I probably wouldn't need to.

Overall: This beer is rocks, I strongly suggest picking up a sixer.

04-03-2009 02:05:02 | More by DarbyOGill
iuhoosier336

4.85/5  rDev +8%

Poured from a bottle into a normal pint glass the head is great and lasts, two fingers. The color is hazy and a yellow orangish- golden.

The smell is of strong hops and grapefruit. Very citrusy, I couldn't wait to drink it.

The alcohol is very present but goes down easy with the hops falvor followed by that citrus. A great taste.

Its a great beer from a great brewery but its 10% so more than one would be quite a haul.

04-01-2009 03:31:01 | More by iuhoosier336
beerman207

Kentucky

4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

A - Cloudy like ice tea with a beautiful head that poured. I got about 3 fingers of head on this brew and I have to say it was a pretty sight to behond. Very nice lacing as well.

S - Pineapple and citrus. It was overwhelming and very inviting.

T - Definately a potent brew - I could taste the alcohol in this as well as the bitterness throughout the front and the back. Then agani, it's called Hopslam so I wasn't expecting to lack bitterness. The Taste of citrus comes through as well some muted sweet tones.

Mouthfeel - Just the right carbonation for my tastes.

Drinkability- I would rate this higher if I believe I could tolerate the bitterness beyond a few as well as the 10% ABV. All in all a great beer.

04-01-2009 01:44:41 | More by beerman207
goatxpower

4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

Drinking as I write this. Just received in the mail.

A- Clear and golden orange, with very little head to speak of

S- A big shot of hops, and then nothing. It's as if the hops evaporated or something. It doesn't smell bad, it just doesn't smell like anything anymore. Maybe I should have gotten it colder (it's at "belgian" temperature right now). I just a trace of hops and some floral aromatics from the malt. I want to believe that I can smell the honey.

T- This is fantastic. There is obviously a ton of hops in this thing, but they work together very well. I get peach and apricot flavors. Pineapple. Some rum and honey flavor. I guessing that there are either some English or Noble hops in here somewhere, because I'm getting a little bit of grassy, earthyness on the tail-end. But in a good way. The flavor lingers for a long time. I'm sold.

M- The body is totally standard, if not a little light for this style.

D- This is a fantastic, easy drinking hop-bomb. complex and flavorful, but not as harsh as many lower ABV IPAs out there (Lagunitas, I'm looking at you, pal). I could probably drink six of these easy... which is a frightening prospect at 10%.

03-31-2009 20:39:06 | More by goatxpower
youngblood

Indiana

4.72/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Beautiful dark amber glow coming out of the glass on this one. The head coats the top of the beer heavily, almost like a lid waiting to be popped. The smell is so full of grapefruit and citrus is incredible. Very nice sweetness in the back too. This is my favorite taste in the world. Lovely hop oil provides a strong bitter citrus, but right behind that is sweetness from the honey that is brewed in this one. This has a great sticky mouthfeel, but goes down easy. Best drinkability of any 9% and above I've ever tasted. Amazing beer.

03-31-2009 18:29:59 | More by youngblood
mjl21

4.03/5  rDev -10.2%

Acquired in a trade with alleykatking...thanks Josh!

12 ounce bottle with that great artwork poured into a snifter. This is Batch 8911 and according to the Bell's batch finder, it was packaged on 1/20/09. Comes in at 10%.

A-Pours a clear, glowing orange-honey color. Has a very minimal white heasd that dissipates into a small frothy ring. A nice oil slick of head remains in the middle of the glass. Has a nice stream of bubbles continuosly pouring up from the middle. Not a ton of lacing.

S-Pineapple. This is without a doubt the most pineapply smelling beer that has ever hit my nose. Would like to see what it smells like 2 months earlier.

T-That pineapple taste hits fast followed by sweet malt and honey. On the back there is a nice hop bitterness that lingers.

M-Definitely veers toward the sweet side rather than the dry side. I found it to be fuller bodied than most IIPA's that I drink. The carbonation level was good. Leaves a really nice coating in the mouth.

D-I had no problem taking out the 12 ounce bottle, but the sweetness and high ABV would limit this one for me.

It was great to finally try not only this beer, but also this brewery that I have heard so much about from my buddy who grew up in Grand Rapids, MI, as well as fellow BA'ers.
In fairness to this beer, I did try it 2 months after it was bottled. I look forward to trying one of these when the 2010 batch is first released. I have a feeling the smell and taste scores will probably go higher.

03-31-2009 04:24:30 | More by mjl21
LilBeerDoctor

Bottle thanks to mreusch. Pours a slightly cloudy orange with a small white head. Aroma of hop oils, citrus, and grapefruit. Flavor is sweet and malty with lots of citrus hops. Full-bodied and not too sticky/sweet as some IIPAs tend to be. Hopslam lives up to its reputation. Quite tasty!
8/4/8/4/16 (4.0/5)

03-31-2009 02:15:48 | More by LilBeerDoctor
rhinos00

Colorado

4.68/5  rDev +4.2%

Was fortunate enough to catch this beer on cask @ the Buckeye Brew Engine. Poured into a snifter.

A- Compared to the bottled and on-tap version, this was one of the more notable differences. Had an absolutely amazing head that just laced the sides of the glass as it was consumed. There was a clear line of distinction as the head sat on top of the body of the beer, almost like someone had a straight edge and just plopped the head right on there. Of course the color was wonderful with nice amber hues.

S- Great scent that resembled a bouquet of piney and citrus hops.

T- Tastes were similar to the on-tap version. Followed the nose with a nice mixture of bitter pine hops and citrus fruit feel.

M- By far the difference maker in this beer. Unlike other versions, this beer on cask had an amazing creamy, full mouthfeel that is wonderfully complimented by its great taste. Just a completely different experience and vastly improved the beer in my opinion.

D- Hmmm....I drank 3 snifter in under a 45 mintues. Probably the most drinkable DIPA I have ever had.

If you get the opportunity, try this beer on cask! It's a completely different experience and puts it in the ranks of PtE and PtY, maybe even better. Of course, if PtE or PtY were on cask....

Serving type: cask

03-30-2009 15:17:59 | More by rhinos00
Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.