Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 1,855
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.

(Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
Lerxst

4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

Batch 9502 Bottled 1/5/10

A-Pours a clear gold color, maybe a bit of an orangeish hue as well. Billowy white head that hangs around for a bit and leaves some decent lacing.

S-Wow! Citrus hops, pine resin, floral hops, pears, oranges. Its almost sensory overload. This could be the most aromatic beer I've reviewed.

T-Hoppy with a piney, spicy lead off and middle with a citrusy finish. A bit of bready, malty sweetness comes in about halfway through. Very good.

M-Sticky, medium body, stinging bite, oily and resinous.

D-This is dangerously drinkable. I could easily consume 3-4 of these back to back.

Glad I finally got to try this one. It really is an excellent DIPA.

02-01-2010 00:17:14 | More by Lerxst
wnh

Missouri

4.83/5  rDev +7.6%

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Pours a bright, clear golden orange topped by a frothy, creamy white head.

Glorious aromas of hops on top of hops on top of hops: fresh cut grapefruit, orange marmalade, lime zest, and earthy pine resin. Light toasted malt lingers in the background, but this is definitely a hop lover's beer.

Maltier on the palate than expected, with the toasted and lightly bready note out front alongside a touch of caramel sweetness. But not to be cast aside, the hops quickly butt in and steal the show. Bittersweet orange zest and pith, oily resin, and a mildly pungent peppery spiciness abound. Fades into a sweet but earthy honey flavor, toasted almonds, and bitter pine needles, with a lingering finish that just keeps going, evolving all the way. In a word, dynamic.

Medium to full bodied and quite firm, but somehow drinks like it's light and soft. Oily and sticky, facilitating the unending finish. Is this beer really 10%? Quite possibly the most drinkable double IPA in production.

01-31-2010 23:37:26 | More by wnh
devilben02

4.25/5  rDev -5.3%

Pours from the bottle with a sparkling, crystal, orange-copper color, and a sticky, bubbly, cream-colored head. The combination of honey and hop aroma smacks me in the face from the second I open the bottle, like if one of those plastic bears from the grocery store came to life, climbed a pine tree, walked through a field of wildflowers, and then started mauling my sinuses with his sticky, sweet, sap-covered paws. Although the aroma is packed with both the honey sweetness and the piney and floral hops, the flavor is much more hop-forward, showcasing the resinous pine and a bit of orange, and with the honey providing a sweet balance. And the flavor and aroma from the honey is wonderfully natural, rather than an artificial, syrupy sweetness. The potency of the flavors deftly masks the 10% alcohol, and although the label claims that this is "a biting, bitter, tongue bruiser", this one is remarkably drinkable. With both a little sweetness and some bitterness lingering on my tongue, and feeling warm on the inside right now, I am certainly content with this year's edition.

01-31-2010 22:25:33 | More by devilben02
Tomdee74

Connecticut

3.9/5  rDev -13.1%

I don't know maybe it's just me.. I see it's gettin so much love.. "is it my palate or is it the beer?" that is the question... forget that "to be or not to be crap"... : )..

last year I just started falling in love with DIPAs and Hopslam blew me away... since then I've had my share.. drank some pliny's and sculpins.. i'll tell ya flower power is good stuff and holy crap nebco's gandhi-bot is unbelievable...

it didn't matter in a way i still wanted this stuff and couldn't wait to get it.. my man seplo from here moved away and sent some to me and smutty33.. neither of us is impressed. don't know if our palates changed or what.. it's not horrible... but i'm doin backflips.. to sweet.. where's the big hops?

01-31-2010 13:23:39 | More by Tomdee74
oregonskibum

Oregon

4.58/5  rDev +2%

Received in trade from Pecorasc (thanks!).

My first beer review. Decided after a four week dry spell in January that I should review the beer that is supposed to be equal to or better than Pliny the Elder (my #1 beer). Well, it didn't quite make it....

A: pours a nice orange or golden yellow into a tulip glass.
S: big citrus flavors. Orange and grapefruit, big hops throughout with just a little bit of that green 'piney' flavor that makes Pliny the king.
T: hops carry through from the smell, but with a little bit of sweetness. Okay, the sweetness continues maybe a little too much and then dies off right at the end to a fairly bitter finish. High alcohol is hidden nicely - maybe too nicely.
M: the mouth feel is a little sticky-sweet for me. A little heavy on the tongue, this beer falls down a notch here.
D: this is a strong contender in the DIPA category and a very enjoyable beer. If this was easily accessible to me, it would be a regular in the fridge. As it is, I'll trade for this once or twice a year, but wouldn't consider this an A+ beer.

01-31-2010 04:27:03 | More by oregonskibum
BrewIndy

Indiana

This may be my first perfect rating. I'm not sure :)

Appearance: This is one beautiful beer! Crystal clear, orange coloring. Almost like the color of honey this beer is brewed with if it was clear. Has a small amount of head on toop and leaves some great lacing. If only all beers could look like this. A piece of art really.

Smell: Piney, and citrusy hops right up front. Perhaps it's because it says it on the bottle but I can also smell the honey leaving a pleasurable sticky feeling in the old nostrils.

Taste: Bam! This one is definitely hoppy! At least up front. The great thing about this though is it is very balanced. Someone that would say they don't normally like hoppy beers should at least pick up a single of Hopslam because it is great. The malt and honeys sweeten this beer up nicely leaving the finish to be more sticky sweet than bitter like you get with most hoppy beers. Of course with an ABV of 10% you'd expect it to be sweet. This beer is pretty complex too. Throughout the glass I got different tastes and flavors between being super bitter to being super sweet and everything in between.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and sticky! Up front this beer makes your mouth feel refreshed with the bitter hops cleaning (or stripping away) your palate and then it leaves you with the sticky sweet feeling.

Drinkability: Who cares about the 10% ABV?! I say the drinkability on Bell's Hopslam is way better than par. In other words, this is one you can sit and sip and enjoy all night long. At $18 for a six pack it might get a bit expensive but heck, You only get to do it once a year right?

01-31-2010 02:53:21 | More by BrewIndy
stoutfiend27

4.93/5  rDev +9.8%

12oz bottle...batch 9505 into a snifter

a-clear copper..white two finger head...lots of lacing...lots of bubbles...beautiful

s-sweet grapefruit and citrus...some pine and grass linger in there as well...honey makes a flash towards the end before the grapefruit rounds this one out

t-grapefruit...lots of citrus notes...some bitter pine and grass mingle with a sweet honey note towards the middle...this one finishes slightly bitter and grassy..

m-oily and resiny...the honey adds a sticky aspect to the feel...bitter on the tongue but the sweet honey and hops hang around forever it seems long after each sip

d-absolutely dangerous....the abv is totally hidden...its such a great brew you could get in trouble quick with this one

overall another beer i look forward too each year...the price deters me from purchasing more of this...the dipa imo next to pte

01-31-2010 00:08:47 | More by stoutfiend27
kbnooshay

4.88/5  rDev +8.7%

Poured a hazy golden-orange color with a super frothy white head. Aroma is reminiscent of nugget nectar. Very sweet and CRAZY HOPPY! Citrus and pine.

Taste is similar, super hoppy and sweet. The pine and citrus flavor is responsible for the amazing refreshing qualities of this beer.

Feel is crisp and smooth. WAY too drinakble for a beer of this strength! This is lethal. I really have to focus and sip this one.

(This tastes what a barelywine version of Troegs Nugget nectar should taste like. I mean flying Mouflan was okay but this raped my face.)

Drink it as soon as its released. It starts to change after a month!!! (i've experimented).

01-30-2010 23:18:56 | More by kbnooshay
schanker21

4.55/5  rDev +1.3%

A- Very slightly hazy orange with a decent white head. It's actually pretty clear for an IPA, almost lager-like in appearance. Head remains throughout the glass with lots of lacing.

S- Citrusy, piney, IPA-like. Smells inviting and strong, strong, strong.

T- Citrus is the first taste to hit the palette. Well-balance by the malts with a late bit of alcohol on the aftertaste. After a couple more sips pine tastes are noticeable, typical IPA tastes, but with the quality you would expect from Bell's.

M- Quite delightful. Perfect amount of carbonation. Crisp, refreshing. Don't know that I've had another IPA with such a great mouthfeel.

D- Very drinkable.

Wow, another great beer from Bell's. I've yet to have anything from them that disappoints. As a midwesterner, I don't know of another brewery that comes close to their overall consistently great beers (maybe Founder's). I was lucky to grab the last six pack of this at the liquor store I frequent and I hope to find it again.

01-30-2010 21:04:32 | More by schanker21
GJ40

4.6/5  rDev +2.4%

Sampled on tap at Tyler's in Apex.

This beer starts great with a nice light golden color, great clarity and a sturdy white head. The aroma is fantastic with lots of citrus and tropical fruit. The flavor is all about the hops with loads of grapefruit, pineapple and mango. The malt backs it up well enough and the alcohol sneaks in and out of the picture.

This is one beer that always sneaks up on me. It's so flavorful and appealing I tend to forget the punch it packs.

01-30-2010 11:59:27 | More by GJ40
alpinebryant

Connecticut

4.25/5  rDev -5.3%

Pours a marigold orange yellow with a large white head of tiny bubbles. Smell is tons of grapefruit, and abundance of pine, pineapple and citrus. There is so much IBU aroma that it smells dankish and similar to the sticky icky. Some may even venture to say that there is some barnyard aroma because of the huge hop presence.

Taste is very good - there is largely a huge pineapple flavor with a large pine presence and a decent malt body . I never would have known it was a 10% abv had I not seen it in the description, and based on that, I had to give it a pretty decent drinkability score. Good brew, not surprising this has a huge following and it is readily available / able to sell out.

01-30-2010 04:02:41 | More by alpinebryant
firkinhophead

Georgia

4.03/5  rDev -10.2%

Had this on cask last year at BSP, then on tap last week in VA. Now for a bottle in the relative quiet of home for a review.

Pours crystal clear and honey gold into a tulip glass. Tight off-white head that dissipates to a ring of spittly foam that leaves a spotty lace. Slowly rising bubbles in the center indicate the gravity (so to speak) of the contents. Beautiful.

Nose is mostly citrus with some floral notes and a bit of sugary bubble gum. Not particularly dank like its west coast breathren, but potent nonetheless. Not really picking up any alcohol, which is remarkable.

Juicy Fruit, grapefruit, pine, and mint on the tongue, with a powdery astringency. Alcohol warmth infuses the modest cereal grains for the only hint of malt. ints of honey, tart apple, pear, and white wine add some dimension beyond the hops, as well.

Surprising light body with a slick mouthfeel yields to a dry finish. Grapefruit rind bitterness lingers well after the last drop. Flush of carbonation in the swallow leaves the mouth clean and ready for another sip. Nicely put together.

After all the hype, HopSlam measures up well, although not a grand slam for me. A bit too astringent and lacking in malt character, although I realize that's what it's all about. Occasionally suggests toothpaste, which is refreshing, but not exactly something I want to sip on.

01-30-2010 02:46:14 | More by firkinhophead
joshstevens87

3.98/5  rDev -11.4%

A-pours a golden yellow/orange with about an inch white head
S-citrus, huge grapefruit earthy, and floral hops dominating the nose with little malt flavor presence with a slight alcohol burn
T-malt flavor becomes more apparent with a nice sweet flavor from the honey with the hops bavcking off a bit but still dominating the flavor, at 10% abv the alcohol is rather present, overall their beer is a great balance betweensweet fruity flavors (from both the malt and hops) and a huge bitterness (from the hops and alcohol)
M-rather heavy body and a medium carbonation huge bitterness makes this beer a sipper
D-definately a sipper if the high abv isnt enough of a deterent the hop profile certanly is it a great beer but one that probably can't be enjoyed throughout the night

01-30-2010 00:00:12 | More by joshstevens87
cavedave

4.53/5  rDev +0.9%

Thanks to kzoobrew who knew I would love this, and made it possible.

A thin white head gives way to persistent ring and islands atop a golden beauty of a brew. It is cloudy with fine yeast, and has that shimmery look of a thick beer. A gentle swirl leaves thick slabs and arms of lace. One of the better looking DIPA's I've seen, for sure.

The nose is a medium to full aroma of bright citrus essence (grapefruit, orange peel), floral notes, light bready sweetness, hints of earthy bitter. The balanced brightness in the aroma is outstanding. No trace of alcohol in this baby's bouquet. Most excellent and tempting.

WowwwwW this is delicious. Very full flavored. It starts with a cannonade of citrus and bitter, some resinous and delicious piney notes quickly join the assault. Hints of neutral grainy sweetness guard the flanks of the sip as it presses on to a finish of exceptionally clean flavors of grapefruit rind, earth, very light herbal florality, and that fleeting sweet touch. It's a ghost of sweet in the sip, really, keeping it from exploding on itself. The bright, clean flavors, the balance, and the very light alcohol presence (10%ABV seems impossible) make this a fantastic beer, a work of art.

I may have had finer DIPA's in every other category, but I'm not sure I've had one with better mouthfeel, drinks very light. This is a full bodied beer, no mistake, but it is creamy despite having a dry, long finish. Low carb., perfect. Viscous, but none of the cloying or medicine of some in this category. No, Hopslam gets a cleaner, and brighter, and longer finish as it warms. Flavors sparkle in the spotlight of this mouthfeel.

Drinkability is red flag warning dangerous. If I had two cases of this, instead of these few bottles, prudence would lead me to download emergency alcohol overdose info.

Impression: Lotta hype, this one walks the walk. If you are a lover of this style, do what it takes, get some of this.

01-29-2010 22:55:05 | More by cavedave
SpdKilz

4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

New Beer Friday! A huge thanks goes out to kzoobrew for this awesome beer! Cheers friend!

Appearance - Pours a tangerine color into my SA Perfect Pint with about an inch of fluffy, billowy head that slowly recedes to a thin layer, leaving beautiful lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell - Tropical fruits, ripe grapefruit, pineapple, passion fruit. After the immediate burst of citrus a light but noticeable piney/hoppy smell drifts up toward me. The more I let this sit and warm up, the more robust the smells become. My mouth is literally watering waiting to taste this beer.

Taste - An immediate burst of citrus flavors, tasting similar to the nose. These flavors dissipate more quickly than I would have thought given the smell, and is followed by a huge hit of piney, hoppy goodness. All the while when these flavors are interacting, there is a sweet, malty backbone which is prominent with honey. I doubted that the honey would bode well with this beer, but my god, it is so amazing. I am sitting here typing, not having taken a sip for about thirty seconds and I can still taste the honey. The taste is so utterly balanced. The citrus, bitter, malty, honey...all come together to create a very elegant, complex DIPA.

Mouthfeel - Medium mouthfeel, decently carbonated, and very creamy. Leaves you with a nice "clean" finish after each sip unlike some other DIPAs.

Drinkability - Let's just say that it is a good thing these are not available around me. If I had this, The Oracle, and Pliny the Elder all available all the time by me, I would probably never drink anything different. All three are very different in my opinion, yet all three represent the style extremely well. Hopslam is a very balanced beer. I would say The Oracle is a bit of a sweeter DIPA, Hopslam well balanced, and PtE a bit on the bitter side. I feel like I could have one or two of either The Oracle or PtE and then perhaps move on to something else because the style was a bit too sweet or bitter. But with Hopslam, with the nice notes of citrus and pine/hops then balanced by a slight malty backbone which finishes up with a taste of honey...I could session these until I passed out. Better than I was expecting and I fear from now on I will have to bug kzoobrew every year to send me out a few of these!

01-29-2010 20:44:54 | More by SpdKilz
Heavenisbeer

Georgia

4.68/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Backlit glowing honey. You could light your house with this beer. Robust, full, and tempting. Extremely heady off the pour, possibly four fingers, gradually fading gently to a two cm cloudy pillow of a head. Sporadic tendril legs. The carbonation is mean, and appears to be anticipating a near-future bite. I'm ready.

S: From whence to commence. Hyperbole required. Just overflowing with pungent brilliance. A bouquet of hops and Great Plain flowers and citrus and hops and tropical fruits and corner store candy and hops. "Honey, you are there too." The nose kicks, even after the head is chopped off, continuing until the last drop, and sticks to the glass in one last dash effort to render you eternally conscious of its previous divine glory. Just wonderfully well balanced.

T: Suppose you dropped a tray loaded with jugs of fresh squeezed lemonade, orange and grapefruit juices, in a dank pine forest with a fresh covering of needles underfoot, but were then chased by a bear who had very recently dipped his paws in a honeycomb, and in the process of chasing you had dripped the honey upon the citrus-y spill. Now, throw some alcohol onto the puddle of now trampled citrus pine. And now lick it. Okay, it's a lot better than that. I really appreciate that the hops constantly punch, but are restrained enough as to not create an overabundance of bitterness. Very tasty IPA indeed.

M: I truly cannot see how it could get much better--not too heavy, not too syrupy, not too bubbly, not too oily, not too feathery, not too anything...But everything that you'd ever expect from an IPA.

D: Man oh man. In terms of the mouthfeel and the taste, this beer is extremely drinkable. Yet, the alcohol (10% abv) is skillfully inconspicuous. After two I am filling toasty, and I have a hefty tolerance. Drinking six is easy, but don't stand up too quickly. Be careful, this one's a creeper.

01-29-2010 20:27:08 | More by Heavenisbeer
Husslerc

New Hampshire

4.45/5  rDev -0.9%

This is arguablly my favorite ipa of all time
aromatics are insaine!! Smell of fresh grapefruit and fresh zested orange peel. It just smells fresh!! Poured into smuttynose tulip, beutifull white head with proper lacing. Aromatics explode in glass. Initial taste is almost tart candy, then as my pallet falls back down to earth I am quickly reminded that's an ipa in there. Buttering is perfect in the finish. Again higy recommended and the fresher the better!!

01-29-2010 15:23:44 | More by Husslerc
timski346

3.95/5  rDev -12%

Excellent DIPA. First sips are a bit harsh, but flavor smooths out as the beer warms. You would never guess that this is a 10% ABV beer. The balance of hops/malt/alcohol is very good at hiding the alcohol taste. Simcoe hop profile as predominat hop is very apparent to me. Overall great beer!

(A) Appearance - Orangish with white head that is not very thick and is not retained very long.

(S) Smell - Citrus/fruity with Simcoe hop aroma.

(T) Taste - Predominantly hoppy, but not overpowering, although hop profile is probably more complex than it taste. Background malt character absent of strong alcohol tatse that you would expect from a 10% beer.

(M) Mouthfeel - Moderate carbonation. Just right for this beer.

(D) Drinakbility - Extremely drinkable for a DIPA. Alcohol taste is almost non-existent.

01-29-2010 03:21:43 | More by timski346
Daniellobo

District of Columbia

4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

A very nice, if slightly overhyped, DIPA

Presentation: 12 oz bottle. Simple and somewhat cartoonish front label design with the illustration of a person literally slammed under hops over a green color palette. Back label includes a minimal, and rhetorical narrative, and cellaring ability. Shows bell batch number (9471, which as per their website is bottled on December 21, 2009). Notes Alc. by Vol. (10%) Served into a tulip glass.

A - Deep amber pour with a good head, medium retention, and some lacing with a nice surface memory.

S - Very rich and complex hoppy nose. Citrus, grapefruit, resin, pineapple... But scent of good ripe melon emerges too. Might be the hops coated with the honey, but can´t help to get out of certain type of ripe toad type melon.

T - Taste follows the nose with rich hoppy sweetness, grapefruit, pine, pineapple but above all a final lingering touch of... melon. No honey as such but this melon thing feels like the honey touching the hops. A bit weird but very nice.

M - "Tongue bruiser" like the label suggest this isn't by far, at least not on this incarnation. Medium body, even medium to light at times, but working pretty well with a rather smooth, even creamy feel, and a small finishing bite.

D - Works very well, the alcohol is very well integrated and barely noticeable. In fact rather given the ABV one may need to be reminded of it. Overall a very pleasing one.

Notes: It's not half as assertive or spectacular as the hype would have one believe. But it is a pretty tasty and delicate hoppy brew nevertheless. And even if a tad overpriced, it is rather nice to have around, and remains very recommendable.

01-29-2010 00:04:30 | More by Daniellobo
philmont

Alabama

4.88/5  rDev +8.7%

Can this really be a double IPA? This is a highly drinkable beer. Absoutely love the flavor. Hop flavor followed by citrus and balanced by a smooth malt backbone. This beer is deceptive. You'd never know it had such a high alcohol content. Too much to be a session beer, but boy I'd sure like to try. Oh, by the way, also had a nice creamy head on top of a clear amber orange body.

01-28-2010 13:17:39 | More by philmont
SShelly

Oregon

4.45/5  rDev -0.9%

Thanks to FooFaa for the bottle.

Pours a very light gold with a decent bright white head, fairly fizzy and the head dissapates quick.

Smell is light and citrusy, all hops in the nose, not really an assault but very pleasing.

Flavor starts out with citrus bitterness and some balancing malt flavor, again not quite the hop assault I was expecting, very well balanced the hop flavors fill your mouth and there is a little backend bitterness that leaves a tingle on the tongue.

This is a supremely drinkable ale for a 10% hop bomb, greatly enjoying it, really enjoy the hop flavors it leaves behind in the mouth.

01-28-2010 01:49:35 | More by SShelly
vishneda

4.45/5  rDev -0.9%

12 oz bottle into an oversized wine glass.

This was the first DIPA for me and I was very impressed with it. Great balance. There is a distinct fruitiness found in the combination of the malt backbone and the high hop use. Bell's really focused on bringing the flavor of the hop out... not just hitting high IBUs. Scary drinkability for a 10% beer.

I've got a few other DIPAs to explore and I may come back and revise the ratings based on my experiences with this style.

01-27-2010 18:12:19 | More by vishneda
bonbini26

4.63/5  rDev +3.1%

Was lucky enough to find 6 scattered bottles of this at Abe's Six Pack in PA last year. Pours a cloudy orange color with a thin white head. Smell- oh my, huge grapefruit/pineapple smell WOW, unlike any DIPA I have ever smelt. Some hints of carmael and you can smell the hops too I think! Taste - MMMM hopssss, sweet carmel also to keep the hops in check. Great body, for the ABV and style, creamy, some alcohol comes through. What an awesome beer overall, I am not worthy.

01-27-2010 14:24:35 | More by bonbini26
thegodfather2701

4.7/5  rDev +4.7%

A-Pours a nice gold color with a white head that dissipated pretty quickly.

S-Hops, hops, and more hops. It smells like a fresh cut open grapefruit with also some sweetness from the honey.

T-Grapefruit flavor dominates at first due to the hops and then the hoppiness is cut but the honey sweetness. It finishes clean and refreshing.

M-Seemed very syrupy with a touch of carbonation. It was like drinking heaven's nectar.

D-Through the roof, I don't care if it is 10% I could drink this all day.

Overall, I was glad I got to try this on tap, it was delicious. I think its more syrupy and not as full bodied as it is out of the bottle giving it a slight edge in drinkability. I highly recommend seeking this out on tap.

01-27-2010 13:28:44 | More by thegodfather2701
Beast35

Indiana

4.8/5  rDev +6.9%

Wow where do I start with this beer?

Poured into a DFH snifter, 2 fingers of head

Smell-citrus hops (grapefruit and blood orange, maybe some tangerine)

Taste-Damn! So deceiving! At the tip of the tongue it is so velvety. You can taste the honey. Then the hops bitch slap you into submission. Can i get an IV of this?

Mouthfeel- smoooth

Drinkability-10%? Really? Excuse me while i drink six and pass out

01-27-2010 05:34:03 | More by Beast35
Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.