Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 1,890
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.

(Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
3.7/5  rDev -17.6%

Pours a golden yellow, slightly cloudy, an holding a solid head.

Citrus and Pine....Just Citrus and Pine.

Not as hoppy (at first) as anticipated. Smooth honey upfront but gives way to a strong hops after taste. Strong hops lingers for awhile and is a bit too strong for my opinion, but what else should I expect with a name like Hopslam.

A nice balance of smooth, silky texture with just enough carbonation.

If this beer is 10%ABV I can't tell. If you enjoy this style drink with caution.

Very nicely done for the style, just not one that appeals to me. I've heard hops is an acquired taste, and if so, this one would take a decade to get used to.

pasdachuri, Jan 24, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

On-tap at CK Diggs, served in a 10 oz snifter.

Apperance is a golden straw yellow that is very clear with little carbination. Not much of a head on this one, probably attributed to the pour by the tender as I have got quite a head from all bottles of Hopslam I've tried.

The smell is like citrus heaven. I really expected to be able to notice the 10% in the nose but this wasn't the case at all. I probably stuck my nose in the glass at least 5 times before I even took my first sip.

The taste is very citrusy and piney. The finish is quite smooth from the malts with a nice slight honey end. I only wish that this beer was a bit more unbalanced and the hops came through more, hence the 4.5

Even the slightest of sips and this monster is coating and walloping every taste bud on your tongue. Definitely full bodied with just the right amount of carbonation. The finish is quite long but also very gentle and ends with just a hint of honey that brings you back for more.

Overall on tap I could keep drinkin em as long as they would keep servin em. Hopslam is great in the bottle but it opens up so much more on tap and anyone who can get a chance to try it most definitely should.

teovaldi, Jan 24, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - Pours a nice golden color with tiny beautiful carbonated bubbles. Some medium to light lacing that looks excellent on the glass.

Smell - If you haven't smelled this beer and you love an IPA, you absolutely need to. Has a very fresh and hoppy smell. Some of the honey comes through at times in its sweetness.

Taste - The beer tastes like hops with a hint of honey that laces the palate. The taste punches a bit then lingers with a bit of acidity that fades. What I could only describe as "what one looks for in an IPA."

Mouthfeel - The mouthfeel has a medium thickness to it with a bit of carbonation that almost bubbles lightly in the mouth and on the tongue.

Drinkability - Not a session beer, but definitely an amazing beer to sit down and enjoy slowly. It has a unique taste profile with great hop complexity.

Living on the west coast, I don't have regular access to this. However, I have a kind buddy (squaremile) who picks me up a bottle or two during his travels over to the great lakes. I always look forward to the delight and novelty this beer brings to me.

djbreezy, Jan 23, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +2%

12oz. Bottle poured into a DFH Signature Glass.

A: Wonderful golden color with a very small head. Leaves a decent amount of lace.

S: The smell is what makes this beer. The most crisp, clean hop aroma I have ever experienced. I pick up a light sweetness as well, probably from the honey.

T: Much like the nose, the hops are enormous and very crisp. The honey is more prominent in the mouth than in the nose, and it pairs very well with the hops. A stellar DIPA.

M: Thick. Carbonation is nice. Feels like liquid silk.

D: 11%? Really? I might pick up a touch of alcohol, but not much. As with most very hoppy beers, I worry about palate fatigue, but as DIPAs go, this is as drinkable as I have had.

At $15.99 a six pack, Hopslam is cheaper than Manu DIPAs that are bomber only. Sure, its alot for a six pack, but this isn't just any beer here. It is as solid of a DIPA as I have had, and I would put it next to any of the East/West Coast Giants any day.

mondegreen, Jan 23, 2010
4.28/5  rDev -4.7%

I had Hopslam on tap and bought a 6pack last year (09), this is my first bottle of the 2010 edition. Batch 9505 (packaged Jan 5, 2010, drank Jan 22, 2010) from a 12oz bottle into a Rouge pint glass.

Pours a fairly gold-to-amber color with a orange tint. For some reason I had remembered this being unfiltered, which I prefer, but this is clear with only a faint haze. No matter. Decent looking beer I guess.

Oh, God. Just the nose is arousing me. I would buy a Hopslam scented cologne. Probably the very best smelling beer I have ever smelled. Founders Harvest might be the runner up for that "award". Makes me want to dive headlong into it. Tons of fresh juicy grapefruit on the nose, a little pine in there too. Slight bit of alcohol on the nose, but not that much, esp. considering this is 10 percent.

Rich mouthfeel, some sweetness and a lil more prickly alcohol than the nose had. What has always made Hopslam interesting, to me, is that it isn't just another OMG REALLY HOPPY DIPA!. Everyone makes one of those. Hopslam is a really hoppy beer that has other stuff going on too. Hop character on the palate is good, but not quite all that the nose promises. I don't want to be "that guy" but I kind of feel like it was a little sharper last year. It obviously still provides plenty of hop character though. Not quite as grapefruity on the palate as the nose is, maybe a little more herbal character. Still pretty juicy though.

Great beer, but I'm not sure its worth the OMGOMGOMG thing it gets.

GoApps, Jan 23, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +4.2%

2nd Hopslam of the night. First one was @ a BYOB THAI restaurant paired with a spicy noodle dish, this one is at home savored by itself.

Light golden colored with a moderate amount of head poured into a snifter now, pint glass at dinner.

Amazing mango,peach,pinapple, and sweetnesss. Great smelling DIPA. inhaling this aroma before every sip is alone enough of a reason to buy it for me.

Great taste that mirrors the smell with a kick of piney hops rounding out the fruity sweetness, the tropical notes are really what does it for me, and this one is king in that regards. that pineapple and mango, tangerine....ah man its amazing what they do to this beer.

Smooth for this big a DIPA,light brisk carbination.

This is probally the most drinkable DIPA i've ever had along with PTE. Keep thinking it'd be way to easy to have at least 4
of these and get your butt kicked. Amazing Drinkability has been both friends immediate response.

So drinkable and tasty i'd love to have 3-4 of these at a time while it's available, and that's totally doable.

I've had most all the highly regard IPAs/DIPAs, and this one still holds my heart closest.

Chad

ChadQuest, Jan 23, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -8.7%

12flz oz bottle poured into my pint glass

Pours a hazy golden color with a two inch slightly off white head. Average head retention with very minimal lacing left sticking to the sides of my glass. Slight foam stays on the edge of the beer.

Smell is very sweet and consistent of hops and the honey. Pineapple comes to mind with some grapefruit, lemon, and a very clean soap like smell. Take it its from the pine resin.

Taste is sweet with the citrus flavor coming up forward with pineapple, dominate honey, some lemon and then resides with a medium pine bitterness and herbal feel. Something about the taste, taste artificial(bust be the honey throwing me off).

Mouthfeel is full bodied with medium to high carbonation. Sticky and resiny, with a lot of flavor in the aftertaste.

I could have a few of these but be careful cause the alcohol sneaks up on you. Overall I think this beer could be better and its good, but nothing spectacular like I expected.

tr4nc3d, Jan 23, 2010
4.9/5  rDev +9.1%

Pours a clear light golden orange with golden yellowish orange hues when held to a light source and a two finger frothy soapy white head with excellent retention, only slowly fading into a lasting cap. Sheets of chunky soapy white lacing are left coating the glass.

Dank oily earthy hop aroma that's bursting with sweet citrus notes. There's also a prominent earthy pine presence as well as a bit of honey alongside a subtle malt profile in the nose.

Chewy resinous medium body that's on the fuller end of the spectrum with an explosion of juicy luscious dank hops. The hops are uber fresh and provide a slightly bitter dryness that lingers troughout into a slightly hot finish. There is a very prominent citrus fruit presence with hints of mango, pineapple, lemon and orange peel. A sweet honey character comes through mid-palate, complimenting the sweetness of the citrus notes and adding to the fullness of the palate. The sweetness is balanced by a dry earthy pine presence. Maltiness is very subtle but contributes to the amazing complexity and balance of this excellent beer. Nas mentioned above their is a bit of alcohol heat toward the end of the palate but overall the high ABV is excellently masked, making this beer dangerously drinkable. Highly recommended!

corby112, Jan 23, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

A: Pours a nice hazy honey gold with a thick finger of head.

S: Ah yes, been almost a year since I encountered this smell! Very distinctive. A floral honey at first and then bam, HOPS.

T: Slight bitterness on the tip of the tounge, then a mellow flowery honey malt and then again the piney bitterness.

M: The mouthfeel is pleasant, bit chewy and lingers on the tongue.

D: The abv is well masked. Probably more drinakble than it should be at this level.

Popkas, Jan 23, 2010
4.43/5  rDev -1.3%

12oz bottle courtesy of hayesez into a Brooklyn Snifter

A: Pours an orange/amber with a nice white head that fades to a ring and leaves lacing on the glass.

S: The nose is full of tropical fruits, apricot, and hops. Really smells like some of the better DIPAs I've had...can't wait to take my first sip.

T: First tastes are sweet fruity flavors like pineapple and apricot with a grapefruit hop bitterness on the finish. All the flavors amplify as it warms. I will say I was surprised that the hops were so subdued but it didn't bother me much.

M: The feel is medium bodied and creamy/bubbly from the carbonation. Could be a bit thicker but still nice.

D: This goes down easy and the 10% ABV is not even noticeable. I am jealous of people that can get this in larger quantities when it's released. I would definitely have this again.

Very recommended if you can find some. Thanks to Erik for giving me one!

GregSVT, Jan 23, 2010
4.4/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This is a unbelievable IPA so good it is what DIPAS are made for. Up front taste leaves you wanting another and unforgetable !!

A - Pours a beautiful orange hue some lacings and a small wispy head.

S - lots of citrus, some pine, little bit floral, just nice.

T - wow, just wow, grapefruit, not much pine up front and in your face yummy.

M - leave a really nice bittering feel that sticks with you for awhile.

D - Price for where I live is a bit steep but I would want another and if it was readily available look out wallet.

Casey10, Jan 23, 2010
4.97/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured into a standard pint glass.

A: Semi-hazy golden amber-orange with a cyclone of cloudiness down through the beer. Tan head with awesome retention. This is a good looking beer.

S: This is possibly the best-smelling beer I've had. I got grapefruit, vanilla, honey, light piney hops, kind bud and crisp fresh golden apples.

T: Clean grapefruity hops, citrus zest and vanilla with hardly any carbonation on the front. What follows is a ripe lemons, apples, pears, oranges and light vanilla with the carbonation kicking in. Finishes with a piney zest that is not overpowering at all.

D: I could easily sit down with a few of these.

Value: $18.00 for a six pack where I like to shop, but this one of those beers that transcends trivial things like "money."

Bell's scored big with this one, holy crap. What an awesome beer!

WeezyBoPeep, Jan 22, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle. bottled 1/18/2010. just 4 days young.

A- pours a light amber/honey color with a finger of pure white head. extremely heavy lacing.

S- you can smell this beer from a foot away. when I take a whiff it feels like it could clear out my sinuses with if i breathed it in for long enough. super hoppy. full of acidic citrus. this one screams hop bomb. can't ask for much else from you IIPA.

T- a huge load of bitterness up front, but as bitter as it is there is a solid malt backbone to it. the honey really gives it a unique character to the sweetness side of the beer. it's not as biscuit/bread like as most IPA's. there are some excellent citrus notes but not as prevelant as they were in the nose. the alchohol could be a little more tame but it is fairly well hidden.

M- at 10% this is a big sticky beer. much thicker than most IIPA's. the carbonation seems spot on. not to heavy not to light.

D- the deliciousness of this beer is dangerous. it is a big beer, but the 10% hardly shows it's face and I can easily drink too much. the $3/12oz price is really not bad in comparison to other top rated IIPAs ie. Pte, PtY, Dreadnaught.

Freethyhops, Jan 22, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +3.1%

Glassware - Corsendonk Tulip

Appearance - Pretty clear golden color with a HUGE white head that leaves super sticky lacing on the glass.

Nose - Very floral with lots of honey, pineapple and citrus. The citrus flavor is primarily orange, reminds me of summer growing up. No lie, this reminds me of driving to Orlando to go to Disney World and getting free orange slices on the Turnpike.

Taste - This beer has a HUGE grapefruit flavor. It tastes almost like grapefruit juice and honey in fact. The hop flavor is really all grapefruit here, big juicy grapefruit. The only bit of balance out there is the sweet pineapple honey flavor which just adds another level. I love it. There isn't a lot of depth to the flavor or a lot of complexity but it tastes really good.

Moutfeel - Nice medium body, not a whole lot of carbonation but that's exactly how I like it.

Overall - This beer is freaking awesome, huge flavor, lots of grapefruit and honey flavors. I wish I could drink this all the time.

mullenite, Jan 22, 2010
4.93/5  rDev +9.8%

Oh sweet jesus its back!!! gotta say this is my favorite time of the year because of the inevitable release of this beer. Nice hazy golden hue and a nose that if was made into a perfume, i would fall in love with any girl wearing it. Tons of citrus, like every type of citrus fruit was squeezed into this fine brew. Not overly bitter, but just enough to make you want to pucker a little bit, very smooth and packed with more fresh hop taste than one could hope for. This is definately a beer i could sit down a pound a lot of, the only problem is the 10% ABV, which isnt a problem as much as an obstacle. wish this was more readily available throughout the year so i wouldnt have to stockpile so much at once, but i'll take it when i can get it and in as much quantity as possible!

brewbasterd, Jan 22, 2010

lives up to its name because it slams you with hops right away.

A: Hazy golden, foamy white head like most IPA's

S: Smells piney, a little fruity. Smells like its going to be very bitter.

T: Big hop bite right away, but is quickly mellowed out but a slight honey taste. Bitterness and very faint taste honey sit on the tong during aftertaste.

M: Very interesting mouth feel, I think this is where the honey stands out the most. Has a similar mouth feel to honey, if you could imagine a very, very watered down honey. Feels like it is coating my mouth.

Summary: Very cool beer, if you're a hop head, you will love the hop bite right away and the hoppy nose. If you're not so much into the hops, try this beer because that hop bite you don't like goes away fairly quickly and different tastes come through in this beer. But please remember that this review is being done by a hop head.

Scojo2usa, Jan 22, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +0.9%

Re-review after trying this several times. This is a fresh 2010 batch.

Bottle poured into a Chimay chalice... golden orange color with about half an inch of head. Smell is bready, hops, and grapefruit. Last whiff smells like a pine forest.

This isn't as bitter and hoppy as I remember, in fact I've had many much more potent recently.. (The Oracle and The Liberator come to mind) and is pretty mild in when compared to those. Hops still are the centerpiece of the beer, but it is actually one of the more balanced DIPAs.

webmanspidey, Jan 22, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +2%

Review #2 - 01/21/2010

Poured In: Snifter Glass
Purchased At: Riley's (Madison, WI)

Alright, less than a year later here I am trying Hop Slam again. I've learned a lot in the last year. Hop Slam was my third review on here. My palate is trained in the craft of IPA's, and it is expanding into sours. Let's give this another try.

Appearance: The pour is the definition of the amber color. There's a finger of head, but it recedes quickly. There isn't much lace, just a few small macaroni size streams on the side of my glass. The beer is slightly effervescent; there's a nice medium sized stream of bubbles continually rising to the top of the glass. There's also very little yeast in the bottom of the bottle. The last pour into my glass doesn't present any yeast.

Smell: The nose is a blast of hops. A lovely blend of citrus and earthy hops. There's mango, white grapefruit, a little lemon, orange, pine and fresh grass. There's some sweetness in the background from the honey, but otherwise the pale malt is there merely to support the level of hops dropped into this.

Taste: First up to bat is the supportive pale malt. It doesn't last long. The hops quickly take over. More tropical, citrus and earthy notes show up. More mango, lemon, pine, grapefruit and grass. This lovely blend of hop flavors finishes the tasting off until the aftertaste in which some honey flavor starts to creep out. The aftertaste becomes a mixture of grapefruit and honey.

Mouthfeel: A medium body, slightly on the full side. The carbonation is lovely, nice and gentle on the palate. Hop oils are coating my teeth and gums.

Drinkability: I'm really glad I gave this another shot. My views of Hop Slam are much brighter now. The 12 ounce bottle makes it easy to drink on a weeknight given it's a ten percent beer. Looks like I'll be picking this up again next season.

Review #1 - 4/14/2009

Poured In: Pint Glass.
Bought From: Ron's Castle Foods (Eau Claire, WI)

Appearance: Amber orange.

Smell: A nice hop aroma, but not quite as strong as I was expecting.

Taste: Crisp and bitter, although you can taste the sweet honey on the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium body. I suppose the tongue bruiser of an ale was the approach they were going for, but like someone else mentioned, I thought the carbonation was a bit much.

Drinkability: I'm reviewing HopSlam in April, so it's a few months old. The hop characteristics have probably faded, and now the alcohol taste might be starting to creep out a bit more. It's a good beer, without a doubt. I plan on buying it again during the next season of brewing, although I still think Two Hearted Ale keeps its place for the top beer from Bell's for me.

Ek0nomik, Jan 22, 2010
4.3/5  rDev -4.2%

A- Poured into my favorite snifter... a light somewhat fizzy 1/4 inch head appears and disappears leaving some spotted lacing. Beer is light amber color and slightly cloudy

S- At first, has a mellow citrus nectar aroma. After some swirls of the glass a bitter skunkiness combines with the citrusy honey smell... delicious

T- At first sip, wasn't getting a lot of the honey... but as the beer warms a pleasant yet subtle honey flavor accompanies the awesome bitter hop flavor... superb!

M- Light medium body with light medium carbonation

D- I wish I had been able to get more. Wasn't expensive, but would have been worth every penny had it been more

CHEERS!!

bbeane, Jan 22, 2010
4.35/5  rDev -3.1%

Light orange color, just okay head and lacing.
Here comes the good part: one sniff and your senses start to light up. Bright and citrusy are the words that come to mind. I mean, even my sorry excuse for a nose can pick up the grapefruit and pineapple aromas.
The flavor is much more pine resin laden. Not a bad thing, just very different from what you pick up in the smell. Definitely lots of bitterness.
Like many other people, I wonder how this could possibly be a 10% ABV beer. It's big on the hops, but nothing like an imperial stout where you get a lot of vinous qualities from the alcohol. Very smooth and goes down easy. Dangerously drinkable.

weasbri, Jan 21, 2010
4.72/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a Dogfish Head signature glass (January 20, 2010). Batch "9470" is printed on real label, which according to the website was packaged on Dec 23, 2009.

Eyes: Pours a hazy amber with a nice fluffy head. Not much lacing though.

Nose: Boom to the nose. A nice, strong hoppy, honey-grapefruit aroma erupts from the glass. Some pine, but an overwhelmimg grapefruit citrus smell dominates.

Tongue: A powerfully bitter hop punch hits, but is perfectly balanced by malty sweet grapefruit/pineapple punch. The bitterness in inescapable, but dissipates nicely under the weight of the sweet malt. Some bitterness lingers, but not close to the original punch.

Mouth: Some lively carbonation, but not too much that it overwhelms the palate. Just enough bubbles here to balance the smooth syrupy texture.

Libation: Christ, this is a good beer. I've had Hopslam in previous years and this is probably the best yet. Save for the 10% ABV, it is eminently drinkable. This brew appears simple but is surprisingly complex when you stop this analyse the taste. It has a complex honey and hop base, but strikes you with all kinds of floral aromas: fruity, spicy, and interesting. It is crisp and smooth, but mostly umami overall. I rarely drink just one, simply superb.

OttoBomb, Jan 21, 2010
4.7/5  rDev +4.7%

From a growler into a flute. I had a small portion at lunch - the rest is for some friends.

Transparent copper-gold with an eggshell colored head. Lots of lacing.

Rich hops - grapefruit, lemon, and a touch of the honey it's brewed with. A little bit of clean bitterness and pine. I can't wait to taste it.

Well balanced beer. The strong hop flavors aren't out of control and contain a great depth, and the honey keeps the hop flavors from being too bitter but doesn't make the beer cloying. Grapefruit, and lemon zest begin the beer, moving into honey flavors. The pine and traditional hop flavors finish the beer with a clean bitterness.

Spot on for a really well balanced DIPA. There are other beers trying to be stronger and more meaty, but this beer passes these up by far - and raises the bar on them. I'd say skip beers like the 120 IPA and stick with this. It's loads better.

BillyBoysPie, Jan 21, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +4.2%

I had this on tap last evening at Brass Rail Deli in Campbelltown, PA. Served in a pint glass.

A - A slightly burnished golden shade w/ mild haziness - still able to see carbonation rising somewhat rapidly in the liquid. The head is approx 1 inch and snowy colored. The bead is very fine and a film of lace holds on the glass

S - lots of hop fruitiness w/ tropical, citrus and slight herbal notes. There is a mellow malt sweetness as well as interesting floral note in the background.

M- The feel is great - bitter up front w/ spicy hops and resinous floral character w/ a moderately high level of bitterness throughout and more than medium body w/ mild sweetness to anchor the hops w/ a significant yet well placed alcohol texture and semi dry finish

T - The taste is a blend of all things hoppy-pine and citrus like tangerine with a tinge of lychee, and grapefruity bitter tastes. The beer is slightly herbal, bordering on grassy, but clean with lemony tang that leads to a sweet honey tinge of malt much like green tea with the honey soaked sweet edge. The flavor has plenty of citrus peel which also seems to give off a piney aspect with a moderate alcohol taste in the finish

D - A well rounded IIPA, so tasty yet not extremely drinkable since by the end of the pint you feel, well...hopslammed. The beer is great fresh and I prefer it to the bottle, but should be approached with a reasonable amount of caution as it tastes similar to many beers well below its level of abv

Slatetank, Jan 21, 2010
4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

This is the first time I've felt compelled to review a beer. My first notes date back to 12/30/06, and each year Hopslam never fails to satisfy. This might be the best batch yet.

Batch #9470 - Pours a clear orange with a frothy, soapy head that recedes to a thick ring that's easily revived, with intricate but messy lacing. Big, bright aroma of fresh grapefruit and piney hops with underlying floral notes. Quite sweet up front, followed by a medium-to-full and resinous body, finishing with an acidic and juicy punch of fresh grapefruit and tangerine. Transitions quickly into a piney hop aftertaste mixed with more tangerine and pineapple accompanied by a strong bitterness that builds and lingers. Drinkability is superb - this is a dangerous beer at 10%, it keeps begging for another sip, and eventually another bottle. Despite the sweetness I wouldn't call it balanced, it's definitely hop dominant.

Easy drinking, big fresh hop flavors, with a strong mouthfeel from front to back. Great stuff, and a very consistent seasonal. We might miss out on a lot of quality west coast offerings, but Hopslam isn't a bad consolation prize.

EehaiCJ, Jan 21, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

Thanks to Hayesez.
A nice coppery color, decent lacing and a bit of a head to the beer.

Smells overwhelmingly of hops and more hops. Then pine and citrus follow.

The taste is well shockingly not overly hoppy. It has a nice balance of straight hops, crisp pine and just a hint of grapefruit at the end. Disappears nicely making you want to have another sip right away.

It has a slight carbonation to it. A dry aftertaste is left after a bit if you don't have more.

I could have a few of these which is saying a lot since i don't usually enjoy IPA's of any sorts. This however is an exceptional IPA no matter how you look at it.

Kelp, Jan 21, 2010
Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.