Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 2,002
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.

(Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

This is a great beer that everyone should try! It has an amazing aromma! Even better when you let it age for some time! I have two bottles ill let go for a few years then go back and try to see if it changes much! Great job Bells keep it up...and make more of it, for longer!

Mattrh07, Dec 22, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -9.8%

A-dark amber, good amount of white head

S-Oh my so hoppy and so citrusy! This smell just makes me smile!

T-hits with a very large creaminess complimented with the citrus and hops. It then follows with an extreme bitterness. Its just not a good balance in my opinion.

M-extremely creamy with a medium carbonation, almost too creamy though with a matching finish.

D-I had to drink this slowly but hey the taste stays and is enjoyable all the way through

AdamBear, Dec 21, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured on tap at local bar into a chalice. Citrus aroma to the max. It was dark inside so I could not judge the color and appearance well. One of the cleanest, hoppiest beers I have ever tasted. Excellent.

Huge grapefruit, tangerine, orange taste. Fairly dry but with a viscous character, probably from the honey. Delicious. Dangerously drinkable even at 10% abv. I had two and was floored. This beer really makes the hops shine. Unbelievable. So floral. I wish it came around more often.

nniicckkww, Dec 15, 2010
4.72/5  rDev +5.1%

A - murky, burnt orange color; 2 inch thick cream off white head; really sticky lacing the entire time

S - Citrus, tropical fruits, ruby red grapefruit, pineapple, spice, INTENSE

T - Aggresive hop profile, smooth, pineapple, apricot, caramel, candied citrus, lots of pine

M - Palate ruiner. Stick with this the rest of the night. Incredibly smooth for how aggressive it is. well balanced

D - one of the easiest drinking IIPAs you will ever come across. The high alcohol is enitrely masked by great fruit. Drinks a little too easy. This will get you into trouble

arvjunk, Dec 10, 2010
4.38/5  rDev -2.4%

Another review that slipped through the cracks. Reviewed from notes. Poured from a bottle marked "Batch 9552" which was bottled on january 18, 2010. Consumed January 27, 2010. Poured into a Dogfish head pint glass...

A - Poured a really gorgeous deep golden honey color that is clear except for some ever so slight haziness to it. A nice fluffy white head about 1 finger thick forms that recedes to a collar of the same color.

S - HUGE hop aroma coming up front. Citrus, peppery, pine notes all come together in areally nice herbal and refreshing way. There is also a sweetness which I guess is coming from the malt backbone and the honey.

T - BAM! This one lives up to its name for sure. Citrus and pine hit you from all different angles on the palate. Get lots of pineapple and some slight graperuit presence mixed with slight pine flavors. Sweet, but not too much. Really well balanced and complex flavors here.

M - Hearty medium bodied DIPA without being too sticky or too thick. Really nice carbonation and a pretty spot on feel for this style. Very smooth and in a war refreshing.

D - You can feel the ABV after a certain point, and your palate takes a beating, but it really is worth it. Drinkable to a point. It's one of those beers you don't want to go too craxy with or your palate will lose the nuances that make it what it is.

KAP1356, Dec 02, 2010
4.85/5  rDev +8%

If I could review this beer with one word, it would be "Sweetjesus!"

A- It has an opaque orange/gold color with little head and very little lacing

S- Hops, hops, honey, hops, grapefruit, hops.

T- A very bitter, yet pleasant, taste with citrus and hops galore. Honey wasn't as dominant as I expected.

M- Aggressive hops! I felt like they were assaulting the innards of my mouth. Side note, perfect carbonation.

D- Very, very drinkable for a %10.00 ABV double-IPA. Still tough to drink a few in one sitting. Slow down and enjoy it!

JaphyRyder, Nov 06, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours a nice golden color that is a bit hazy. Has a Small head that dissipates quickly leaving just a little bit of lacing on the glass. The smell is hops. Tons of hops and a bit of citrus. Smells great. The taste is very hoppy, and I love it. The hops are very present, there is a little bit of citrus, and then the alcohol comes in a little bit at the finish. I was surprised the alcohol was so masked since its 10%. The mouthfeel was good. This beer had nice carbonation, a medium body, and left a nice lingering bitterness. I could drink these quite often. I really love this beer. Bells did a great job on this one. I hope I find some more very soon. Cheers.

JizackFH, Oct 30, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +7.6%

A- It's a cloudy gold color small head that leaves quickly and leaves just a little lacing.

S- I smell a lot of hops and some citrus a real nice smell vary intense.

T- This is an intense beer a ton of hops with some bitter citrus with an alchol at the end it is a well balanced drink.

M- The hops attack your taste buds and gave me a nice bitter feeling vary good carbonation.

D- It's got alot of alchol in it so I wouldn't drink it all day long but this by far is my favorite double IPA.

ratrod53, Oct 30, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +3.6%

Appearance - Pours to a Golden Goodness with a very nice frothy head. Once settled in remains a nice 1-1/2in head in my standard Pint glass with a likable cloudiness.

Smell - Intense comes to mind. Citrus Pineapple and Grapefruit comes through aside from the obvious onslaught of hoppiness.

Taste- Like Two Hearted Ale on roids. Citrus, Bitter Grapefruit, sweet pine and pineapple with a little bit of alcohol on the finish, not overpowering through. Despite the redicoulous hoppiness it comes over pretty balanced.

Mouthfeel - Like the bottle says, this is a tounge bruiser of an ale! Think of the best Double IPA's you've ever had and this is it. Creamy, good carbonation and a great bitter bite. If you plan on sampling any other beer in the same day, better make this one the last one you try as it will destroy your palate (in a good way through).

Drinkability. Not the most drinkable DIPA i'v.e ever had, this one made me take my time and enjoy this great creation from Bell's

kreeper, Oct 17, 2010
4.7/5  rDev +4.7%

One of my favorite beers of all time! I have had it many times out of the bottle but was lucky enough to have cask recently. Grapefruit, grapefruit, grapefruit all the way throughout the tasting. Sweet and sticky mouthfeel with a sweet honey finish. Hazy orange appearance with a smell of sweet hoppy citrus. Overall an amazing offering from Bells. I will be stocking up come january.

Seebs847, Oct 17, 2010
4.15/5  rDev -7.6%

Draft and bottle on numerous occasions but for this review, draft. Pours a very nice looking amber color with a nice 1 finger white head. Good lace already. Nice floral and citrus rind hop aromas in the nose. Slightly sweet up front mostly I would think from the honey and then there is a strong hop presence on your tongue. Citrus rind, grapefruit and a touch of pine. Nice medium mouthfeel. When fresh this is one of the best IPA's around.

kbutler1, Oct 04, 2010
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I wish I could have this on tap. It is very delicious, but like Pliny, out of the tap is way better. What can I say though. Hopslam is good, but I always compare my happiness of Pliny to it and it takes a second every time. I will continue to buy it and love it, but hate the once a year thing

calir1, Oct 04, 2010
4.35/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is not for the weak of tongue. Intensely hoppy with out being over the top If you are gonna invest in the price of a six pack (near 20 bucks) you had better like hops, but for those of you who do its worth the price. One of many brilliant beers bt Bell's Brewery, pride of Michigan.

HeadofHops, Sep 30, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

12oz bottle, batch 9478 poured into a Nonic pint glass.

Pours a light amber color with a fluffy very white head. I mostly smell the honey and orange and not so much the hops. Every so smooth feel and the carbonation is great for me. Has a touch of the honey sweetness up front backed with the hops load on the other end. 10 ABV, where? I hardly felt it until afterward, on my breath and in my stomach. Probably the most drinkable brew with this high ABV I've had yet. I loved every bit of this one and I only wish I had it available in my area. Loved it.

Vaison, Sep 18, 2010
4.7/5  rDev +4.7%

This is one of the better IPAs available. Hoppy as all get out, as the description notes, but near perfectly balanced by the honey. The result is a clean drinking, aggressively hopped IPA with strong citrus notes and an underlying but non-cloying sweetness.

The appearance was the only thing less than exceptional about the beer. My only regret is that their general distribution stops well short of Maine. I would buy a lot of this.

sogrady, Sep 14, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -6%

Review from BeerAdvocate magazine Vol. II Issue VIII:

So, given the name, we can probably assume this is going to slam our palates with hops and then twist our minds with that interesting honey addition. We're ready for this beer geek, hophead legend.

Bright amber in color, topped with a lively, foamy, off-white creaminess that rises high and settles to a good two-finger-thick head--sticking to the glass and not going anywhere anytime soon. The aroma? Massively aromatic with some raw honey and floral perfume that nearly intoxicates on the spot. Some caramel too. The taste? It sneaks up on you. It's light at first, opens up to some sweet honey, toffee candy, alcohol, and then come the hops. It begins with some hemp oil, little bit of ruby grapefruit, white pepper, and then intensifies as it coats the palate with a slickish consistency. Chewy. Fruity esters in the middle. Alcohol says hello and reminds us that we're being slammed, as it reintroduces the hops, which have made camp on our palates at this point. They hang out well into the linger. Finishes with a dried grass, hoppy finish, faint soapiness, and alcohol fumes on the breath.

We've been HopSlammed. There's no going back. The Alström Bros want more. Please send full cases to the address listed on our website. Cheers!

BeerAdvocate, Sep 13, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -8.7%

Poured from a bottle into an oversized snifter. Pours a honey-amber color, with a soapy white head providing excellent lacing on the sides. This bottle is about six months old or so, so I'm curious to see if the hops have mellowed at all.

Smell is piney hops, decent resin, and a touch of citrus. There's an underlying yeastiness - perhaps from the age? I don't recall this in the younger bottles.

Age has definitely tempered this hop monster. Still plenty hoppy and bitter, but that bitterness quickly fades for a floral honey taste. Still some astringency nipping at the tongue. Definitely tasty, just not a Hop Slam.

Mouthfeel is medium to full; this is still a DIPA, even if it is 6 mnths old!

Even aged this is a damn drinkable brew. Maybe there should be a second category for rating this more mellow, but not too mellow, version of Hop Slam. Don't be afraid to cellar this one for some time; just expect that the hops will fade and a clover honey taste will start to present.

TheHoppiest, Sep 10, 2010
4.3/5  rDev -4.2%

Many bottles over the years, here are my notes from two different batches:
Bottle marked 8277. Pours with a small white head covering a hazy orange body. Some good lacing. Aroma of citrus hops (mainly orange), and a large caramel back bone. Taste is very malty (drinking a winter bottle in the summer). and some slightly orange hops in the finish. Creamy mouthfeel lively bubbles. Would not age too well.

Batch 8907. Pours with a huge, fluffy off-white head with tight bubbles. Clear golden body underneath with a few particles. Great lace and retention. Aroma is quite strong and room filling. Pungent with pine, melon and honey. Alcohol and caramel on closer inspection. Dank C-hops. Taste is big and hoppy with orange and citrus bitterness up front and through the mid palate. Finishing with lingering notes of honey, caramel and floral hops. Silky mouthfeel. Really good!

BMan1113VR, Sep 09, 2010
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Finally got my hands on some of this lovely beer! Pours a clear golden bronze with 2 finger white head. Smell is heavy on the citus hops, with a sweet grapefruit kick. Taste is very similar with a sweet, almost candi sugar like malt and citric backbone. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and smooth as silk going down. Overall an amazing beer and as so many others have said the abv is well hidden!

bunnyhustle, Sep 09, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

A: Clear amber color with a 2 finger head.

S:Fruity and citrusy hops with slight honey scent.

T: The honey takes away a lot of the hop bitterness and also makes the 10%abv go down really smooth. Probably one of the smoothest 10%abv beers I have drank.

M: Smooth with Medium carbonation

D:Some will say its too strong but I feel its highly drinkable. This beer hides the 10% ABV like a 7% ABV beer.

harpus, Sep 04, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - pours a crisp orange color, with a 1/2" head that quickly disipates to just a slight covering. Great lacing with every sip.

S - Very fruit forward. I smell apricot! Lots of it. The other smells are pine and citrus.

T - YUM! This is sweeter than I expected, but not boozy sweet; fruit sweet.

D - this beer is super drinkable for the ABV. 10%...wow! It's hidden very well. This is a great IIPA!

I will certainly seek this beer out anytime I can find it!!

cbak999, Sep 03, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +0.9%

Notes taken from tasting at eccentric cafe 8-23. Finally a chance to review one of the great Imperial IPAs

A - Golden clear with a tiny white head

S - Sweet piney hops and a touch of grapefruit. Tough to really nail down all the hoppy goodness in here. Great nose

T - Huge grapefruit hop and some residual sweetness up front. Loads of hop fruitiness and sweetness from the honey. No dry bitterness in the back. Fantastic

M - Low carb, not dry but not overly sweet

D - WAy to easy to drink. Don't get any ABV as the hops do a great job masking it.

I love this beer. One of the few 6 packs I seek out every release.

boomer31, Sep 02, 2010

I had a six pack and managed to keep one for four years in my basement. The difference between a fresh one and an aged one is more than daylight and dark. It was a differnt beer altogether. A- poured with a steady hand it is a medium copper and clear as a bell. S- too many aromas to list. Hops are still present but greatly diminished. Lots of wine and meadlike aromas. Tons of pear and appley esters, a little yeast, malt flavor has been replaced by fruit and honey. T- same as aroma. Lots of honey, pear, apple, a little citris, some tropical fruit, white wine, virtualy no malt, mineraly yeasty, old and vinios. M- thin and wll attenuated with a pleasent med-low carbonation. Tiny champaign bubbles. D- I'd drink it till I die. A beer ment to be consumed fresh that just happens to become liquid magic after a few years rest.

knoxtennessee, Aug 28, 2010
4.97/5  rDev +10.7%

This could possibly be my personal all-time favorite beer!

Appearance is a beautiful golden-orange with very light head when poured. Smell is hops, hops, and more hops, guess that's why they call it Hopslam... Taste is incredible! Very strong hoppy taste, strong bite from the alcohol which subsides after a few sips, but the honey ties it all together. After a few sips, I stopped tasting the intensity of a alcohol and the bitterness and the complexity of the hops and honey flavor really came through. Only downside (or upside in some situations) is the strength of the alcohol, I have to be in the mood for something strong to want it.

grannun, Aug 26, 2010
4.8/5  rDev +6.9%

On tap at the Eccentric Cafe.

Appearance: Pours a dark tangerine color with a solid white head. Good level retention and some nice lace stick. A bit hazy and unassuming considering how much of a hopped up, high ABV DIPA this is.

Smell: Such an elegant blend of hoppy goodness. Juicy grapefruit and pineapple, with orange and a bit of honey in the background.

Taste: This is truly what I have been looking for in a double IPA since I was introduced to the style. It is tough for me to tell when the honey really impacts the flavor, but there is a distinct pale malt sweetness at the beginning of the sip. This malt really frames the hop profile well. Juicy pineapple and grapefruit, along with some other smoothly blended citrusy fruits. Such a fantastic hop profile. Finishes clean and smooth.

Mouthfeel: It would be hard to hide the grainy hop feel and oil, but this is tied together so well. A nice creamy feel, with a fuller than medium body. Finishes clean, with just a touch of hop residue, and it leaves me longing for the next sip.

Drinkability: Having this on tap was absolutely mind blowing. The difference between having a fresh batch is remarkable. It is so difficult to enunciate the nuances that really push this beer over the top.

KickInTheChalice, Aug 23, 2010
Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.