Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 1,774
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.

(Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
icefisherman

4.58/5  rDev +2%

First one of the year as I snagged almost the last case the store had. Upon poping the bottle wow I mean holy hops. Citrusy delicious hops. On the poor nice head good lacing and a beautiful slightly hazy amber gold. Taste fully of hops what did one expect good malt presence can taste the honey in the middle. Great easy drinking beer somewhat different from what I remember last years as but stellar none the less.

01-31-2009 04:35:21 | More by icefisherman
cedricwarner

Kentucky

4.45/5  rDev -0.9%

I can smell 'em from across the table, those lovely hops. The aroma is rich, almost sexual, grapefruit and musk, honey sweetness. The taste is more of the same, but with the citrus bite really coming through on the front of the palate, and the honey notes lingering on. Lick your lips a couple of seconds after a sip, and I swear it's just like like you've been in the honey jar.

Good lord. I can't think of a more exceptional display of hops as the centerpiece of American craft brewing.

01-31-2009 02:17:47 | More by cedricwarner
VaTechHopHead

4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

A - Pours a nice golden hue with an offwhite/light yellow head. If you look closely you can see traces of suspended yeast from being slightly unfiltered.

S - You couldn't get closer to a fresh hop smell if you were walking through a hop farm in Yakima, Washington at harvest time.

T- Now I fancy myself a Hop Head and wow does this satisfy my idea of a hoppy beer. It's almost as if you were biting into a fresh hop flower right off the plant and sucking out all the alpha acids. Surprisingly not as bitter as I thought though which just adds to the mind boggling concoction of this brew.

M/D - If it wasn't so expensive I would trade in my water filtration system and run this through every tap in my house. It's that easy to drink and addicting.

This was my first experience with Hopslam and I now understand the hype behind it....wow

01-31-2009 01:18:27 | More by VaTechHopHead
budsboy

4.78/5  rDev +6.5%

This is my fifth go at this beer. Not in a row. But now I feel like I can review it.

Pours a brilliant orange with a big, healthy bone white head. Very pretty.

Aroma is a knockout. Grapefruit dominates, alcohol, raisin, pine resin and a warm, floral scent that I can't quite put my finger on. Like a wafting perfume from a passing woman.

Taste is a juicy, puckering alcoholic grapefruit. Juicy, juicy and juicy. Almost all hop flavors. Slam, indeed. A little sweet malt is in there, but it's hard to tell where the hop juice ends and the sweet malt begins. What a marvel.

Oily smooth mouthfeel, leaning toward full-bodied.

For me, it's too drinkable. One that can get me in trouble in a hurry. I tend to gulp this beer, despite my best efforts to relax. I've taken to following this one with several glasses of water.

Now, one other thing. The price. It is expensive, yes. It is good, yes. But, I have never tasted anythiing quite like it. So, if you want the experience, fork over the money.

01-30-2009 23:22:32 | More by budsboy
robbyc1

4.13/5  rDev -8%

Nice head, very clear yellow, head leaves some lace but nothing special.

Wow, a grapefruit bomb! Nice hop nose, no sent of malt, but it must be there.

It tastes like a hop bomb, but the backbone malt holds it up. I still like the taste of Two Hearted better, but this is pretty well balanced.

Nice heaviness, good bitterness, and it's got nice carbonation.

Easy to drink despite the big hops, no real sign of the 10% abv, too easy to have.

01-30-2009 18:43:05 | More by robbyc1
schenked

4.9/5  rDev +9.1%

Had this on tap at Poor Phil's in Oak Park. They served it in a Bell's-branded tulip glass.

Appearance - golden hue with not much of a head. great lacing.

Smell - floral, vanilla, citrus. it smelled exceptionally fresh.

Taste - Amazingly balanced. the 10% is very well hidden. Wonderful citrus hoppy character balanced out by the honey (I assume). Really complex.

Mouthfeel - medium body. just the right amount of carbonation.

Drinkability - incredibly smooth. Just a brilliant beer. I am so glad I got to get some on tap. I actually had some Dreadnaught along side the HopSlam, and the HopSlam blew it away (not that the Dreadnaught was not not excellent).

01-30-2009 18:42:44 | More by schenked
davedahl

4.65/5  rDev +3.6%

HopSlam lives up to it's hype. I picked up a 12-pack from Chicago's south-loop Binny's. The bottle says "brewed with honey" and the influence is noticeable....in a very good and balancing way...more on that below.

Appearance -
Medium head, dissipates to nothing, no lacing (kinda a bummer on the head/lacing). The color is a beautiful rich gold - almost brassy. Clear as a Bell.

Smell -
Immediate aroma of sweet malt and honey, followed by an onslaught of rich piney, resinous, hop smells. When I popped the bottle open, I paused briefly (since I was in mid conversation with someone about who knows what), and the aroma engulfed my head. Yum.

Taste -
So the taste was interesting, it wasn't a taste-bud-violating-hop-explosion, but more like a heavy weight of hops was dumped into my mouth. Lots of hop citrus and pine and resin. But also nicely balanced with sweet malt and honey.

Mouthfeel -
Very full and round mouthfeel, alcohol on the finish.

Drinkability -
Huge drinkability considering it's 10% and a hop-party.

Over all, this is some great stuff. Don't cellar this, be sure to drink it fresh. I'm not even through 1 of the 4 six-packs and I'm going to see if I can find some more before it sells out for another HopSlam season.

01-30-2009 18:23:18 | More by davedahl
jwinship83

4.45/5  rDev -0.9%

A- classic burnt orange IPA color with a solid finger of off white head. Very nice lacing left on the sides of the glass. Small bubbles of carbonation can be seen rushing to the top of the glass.

S- caramel malts with lots and lots of piny and citrusy hops.

T- very sweet upfront with a wonderfully bitter hop finish.

M- remarkably smooth. Light to medium mouthfeel with sufficient carbonation.

D- too bad this beer is 10%, because it's taste and smoothness makes this one id love to be able to drink all night. That's really the only thing bad I have to say about this. It's a wonderful DIPA that ill be sad to see go. Make this a year round beer please bells!

01-30-2009 15:18:41 | More by jwinship83
sudsface69

4.6/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is an amazing beer. A truly distinctive and memorable beer. My first sniff of this one will be forever etched in my mind. I don't think I have ever smelled such a wonderfully fruity, floral, tropical nose in a beer before. The character of the hop aroma in this is simply amazing. This beer truly has a "bouquet." The mouthfeel is big, full, and totally satiating. The expressions of the hops are just fascinating. So complex, so intriguing. If you are a hop head, you need to try this beer. One of the finest DIPAs you will find anywhere.

01-30-2009 06:08:50 | More by sudsface69
guild337

4.83/5  rDev +7.6%

Wow. I expected a big, in your face, strong IPA when I purchased this beer...which I would have enjoyed thoroughly. This was something altogether different and amazing. I have been a huge DFH 90 minute fan for a long time, and it has been my IPA go to. This has just beat the 90 unmercifully out of first position.

A - Nice frothy, yet quickly dissipating head. Deep golden, and nicely cloudy (unfiltered) color and consistency.

S - Holy nose full of flowers! This brew smells so lovely, and sweet. The full hops smell, matched with the honey is quite a unique aromatic experience.

T - Amazing flavors abound in this brew. I have not the vocabulary nor the palate to describe everything I am tasting, but I can assure you that all of them are delicious. Hoppiness that could so easily be bitter, but that trails off into subtle sweetness of the honey. This beer is perfectly balanced.

M - There is certainly some texture to this brew. I can't imagine what the IBU count is, but you can feel it. But still so enjoyable.

D - Not for the newbie, but so enjoyable...I think I'll have another right now. That makes it pretty drinkable...no?

01-30-2009 04:28:48 | More by guild337
WilliamD

4.65/5  rDev +3.6%

I love good, strong IPAs. When it comes to a good imperial IPA and a good imperial stout, I'm torn. This beer makes a darn good tug in the direction of the IPAs, that's for sure.
Looks great, pouring a light, clear orange with a fizzy head that diminished within one minute. Little bubbles continually cascade upwards. My BB is moving upwards as well.
Smells wonderful, like pineapple and pine trees, and at this point I truly begin to pine for this revered IPA.
Taste is delicious- you know you're drinking a real IPA, trust me. Nice pine flavor, right shade of bitterness, and that good old complex flavor that's great to note when you're tasting something great but you can't explain exactly why. This is a GD stellar beer, GD it.
What a good mouthfeel, whatever that is.
Like many before me have noted, what a drinkable beer for a 10% ABV. Again, I'm torn because I want to drink alot of it because it tastes so good but I dodn't want to have a raging headache at work tomorrow.

01-30-2009 03:47:01 | More by WilliamD
BeerStine

4.8/5  rDev +6.9%

Batch 8908. Poured a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a golden copper with medium/heavy carbonation and an off white fluffy head. Smells of citrusy goodness. Lots of fruity hops. It also has a very unique nose-stinging chemical like hop aroma that hits me as pull the beer away from my nose. Maybe it's the dankness of the hops coming through. Whatever this smell is, the other DIPAs I've tried don't have it. The taste is like putting marijuana and citrus fruits together in a blender and serving it as a drink. The dankness of the beer is very pronounced. It definitely has a good deal of malts too and balances well. After my first sip my saliva became much more viscous due to the balancing malts. Mild/medium bittering aftertaste. Mouth feel is medium light with just the right amount of carbonation. Drinkablity is remarkable for a 10% ABV beer. This would absolutely be in my IPA rotation if I could get this year-round.

01-30-2009 00:51:40 | More by BeerStine
farrago

4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

Super whipped-up, agitated head of white froth, very sticky lacing. Brightly hued orange to yellow throughout, not fully transparent but clean and quite pretty. The nose is a citrus fest of pink grapefruit, tangerine, lime, if you can adjust to this you might be able to tease out pine resin, rose hips, nectarine, papaya and pineapple fruit scents, not much discernible malt-wise but doesn't feel out of balance, very credible lift in the nostrils. Medium-bodied, isn't bitter at all, more stings or pinches the palate than bites it. Same gargantuan element of pink grapefruit, tangelo, lime citrus, equally sweet and sour. The floral dimension a touch stronger, aided by the honey accents. On the other hand, any pine or charcoal flavors step back. Texturally, it's crisp and lively and built for speed, glides down the chute. No grassy nor herbaceous pucker, the hops taste fresh like you could wring them out with your hands. Carbonation shows a gentle but persistent hand. Real fun to throw back.

01-29-2009 22:40:50 | More by farrago
TonyBrew

4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

I love the hops and when I tied this beer my taste buds said HOLY CRAP!! The aroma when I opened it was a lot like grapefruit and hops. Then I poured it to see an orange haze which I expected more golden. I also expected to see the nice head but it teneded to recede quicker then expected. A nice semi-crisp medium bodied with a bit of oiliness resin. I expected a major bitterness but was surprised on how smooth it was for having so much hops. Don't get me wrong this is a very hoppy beer that made me pucker up like most IPAs and DIPAs. However it is still pretty smooth especially for having a 10% abv. Very well balanced and surprising smoother then expected. This is definitely one hellava great IPA. Thank you Bells!!

01-29-2009 15:13:02 | More by TonyBrew
lamarr04

4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

A: pours a clear appetizing orange with avery small white head

S: the nose is lots of sweet and citrus hop aroma, almost bubblegum like. also a hint of biscuty malt in the background

T: lots of bitterness with firm carmely malt backbone, very well balanced. it's interested to note, with a beer like this that has such an overwhelming nose its hard to distinguish what I am tasting and what I am smelling, but the smell definitely comes across in the taste with the sweet citrus hop flavor almost tangible to the pallet.

M: medium body with crisp carbonation. does not have the syrupy mouthfeel that one tends to associate with the DIPA style. the beer stays on your tongue for a while.

D: I had three and thus I am writing the review the day after (I took notes). I think the drinkability, balance, and ease of this beer is what makes it an exceptional example of the style.

01-29-2009 13:57:51 | More by lamarr04
darklordlager

Wisconsin

4.22/5  rDev -6%

Hopslam 2010--1/10/10

A: The overpowering tropical fruit character (Pineapple, mango) attacks my nostrils as it is poured into a DFH snifter. Beautiful bright golden-copper colour with 1/2" head that recedes after a few minutes (this snifter is something of a head-killer I have realized though). Thin oily coating.
4.5
S: Fantastic--Like a whole bunch of Cascade hops mixed into a pineapple fruit cup. Pineapple, grapefruit, mango, a bit of hop skunkiness that I do not recall from last year. Base malt and caramel malt (honey malt) if you really dig, I guess--but their role is strictly in supporting the plethora of hops and blends with them so well that they are difficult to distinguish. Not too much from the honey addition, perhaps a light floral scent. Juicy.
T: Sweet, sweet citrus up front (pineapple primarily, with some grapefruit), a bit of alcohol character. Sweet honey, light caramel. Moves in stages from being sweet citrus up front, malty sweet in the middle, then fading into a piney bittersweet finish--not extremely mouth puckeringly bitter on the finish as some DIPA's can be (but I tend to like that character). Aside from the bitterness, the aftertaste comes across very much like unfermented honey. Alcohol is a little more noticeable than I would like, but I suppose is to be expected to a degree. As it warms it becomes sweeter and hides the alcohol a little better (a trade-off I suppose, as it ends up being a little too sweet).
M: First thing noticed as I took the first taste. Well carbonated, with a slightly syrupy body that comes across as "resiny" (a good thing for hopheads).
D: A bit more alcohol bite than I prefer. While the smell was off the charts, the taste didn't quite deliver, and was less complex. Aside from the skunkiness of the hops, I would say that this year's is very similar to the last. A great beer from Bells, although not my favourite double IPA.

2009--1/29/09
6 pack acquired at Coffee Grounds in Eau Claire for $15.99
A: Pours into a Chimay chalice (DFH Snifters are on the way!). Great light orange colour, with a 1" bright white head with tiny bubbles. Sticks to the sides of the glass magnificently...Looks great!
S: Smell is HUGE pineapple up front! Almost overpowering, but when you dig a bit deeper you can get some other citrus scents-some grapefruit. Smells crisp and fresh.
M: I notice the mouthfeel before the taste even! Very creamy and extra smooth. Slips right down with a bit of warming afterwards...great!
T:Taste is of pineapple (more subdued than the smell though), very herbal, with an intense bitterness that kicks in at the end to disguise this enormous abv. Pineapple, grapefruit, citric orange. A hint of alcohol. Fresh hops, with a bitter but pleasant aftertaste. As it warms, the alcohol becomes much more evident, but pairs great with the hops. The pineapple dissapears quite a bit with the temperature increase, and the bitterness really comes out from the dark.
D:Drinkability- Disguises the alcohol content masterfully, with a very smooth mouthfeel.

01-29-2009 04:43:00 | More by darklordlager
Jettanbass9

4.22/5  rDev -6%

The first time a had a bottle of this, it must have been 2 years old... needless to say there was no hop aroma or flavor, I thought i may had gotten a bad bottle.... With all the fuss about hopslam this year i thought id give it another go. Damn, Im glad i did.

A - Golden, honey color, slightly hazy from the bad pour that didnt decant off of the bottle conditioned yeast, light fluffy head.

S - it seems ass backwards, but i pick up on wort like aromas backed by some bicuity toastiness. This all pairs alongside sweet grapefruit, pineapple, some pine and a vague aroma of tulips. Good aroma that is well balanced inbetween the malt, though an 'MO' of the style, It's nice to have some malt character pair along side a healthy dose of hops.

T - A balanced bitterness that barely makes me pucker, sweet wort like flavors (honey malt?) and toasted bread mix in between a floral hoppiness, grapefruit and pine. The alcohol is barely noticeable until you get that warming sensation as you breath out. At 10%, this beer is very well crafted in balance.

M - medium bodied, low carbonation, sweetness is almost cloying, but brought back to balance by the abundance of hops. In one word, balanced.

D - Extremely... even as i try to pace myself, im starting to see the bottom of the glass in less than a half hour. 10% would dictate, to me, a sipper, however, this beer keeps telling me, 'go on, have another.' Great brew, well worth the hype, If I saw this on tap I would definitely order a few pints.

01-29-2009 02:26:39 | More by Jettanbass9
SuperWhite92

Colorado

4.25/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Light and beautiful
Pineapple, hops and citrus
End review haiku

Okay. This beer inspired me to write poetry. That's right, a beer haiku. It's wonderful. Slightly boozy, perfect amounts of carbonation, and perhaps the best blend of hops I've had in a long while. I don't know if it quite lives up to the hype, but I for one think it's a fantastic brew that actually deserves some hype. A real winner for sure

thanks to biniek 13 for including this as an extra. I recieved it today, and then checked the batch number to discover it's less than two weeks old. Insane. We don't get beers distributed here that quickly.

01-29-2009 01:01:49 | More by SuperWhite92
kickapoodude

Alaska

4.1/5  rDev -8.7%

This beer is kind of like The Matrix: I had heard so much about it's awesomeness before I acctaully experienced it, that my expectations were really high, and when I finally saw the movie/drank the brew, I was like hell yes...but not blown away as I thought I would be.

I only wish I had stumlbed over it randomly and tried it, then my pants would be filled with happiness and joy. I should note that this review is written during my third bottle of this 10 % brew.

Very citrusy and boozy, not tatsing the honey. High abv, very tasty. I recommend that you spring this on your craft swillin' friends who have not heard of it. And watch the joy in thier eyes. If they don't dig it. Bitch slap thier ass!

Makes my tummy warm.

01-29-2009 00:05:08 | More by kickapoodude
Dulliwhig

4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

A - poured into a Troegs Nugget Nectar pint glass (can anyone say heresy!) Poured a hazy brownish-orange, with a finger thick slightly off-white head. The bubbles are fine and aesthetically pleasing. I found myself leaning the glass over to watch the bubbles separate and form small islands of lacing. There is obviously something wrong with me...

S - Smells like a pine tree with grapefruit ornaments - freshness abounds and the smell is voluminous. I would love to have this as a car air freshener.

T - Sweet grapefruit and pine bitterness finish, alcohol warmth reminds you this beer is 10%! Crisp, refreshing and lingering. I was expecting more hoppiness from the name, but while hop levels are not overwhelming, they are certainly adequate.

M - Slightly thick above average body, crisp carbonation envelopes your mouth.

D - Drinkability is good, I could drink a few of these without a hesitation, but I am having trouble finishing this review after just one!

01-28-2009 23:52:30 | More by Dulliwhig
bluesoul

Kentucky

4.08/5  rDev -9.1%

Batch 8907, which according to their site was packaged 1/6/09. So still nice and fresh!

A - Poured into pint glass. Pours a hazy honey color with two fingers of foamy off-white head.

S - Smells like a big fat peach to me. I'm rather sure this wasn't the intention but it's a delicious smell. Not noticing much hoppiness in the nose.

T - Not as hop-dominated as I expected, there's quite a bit going on and it has a surprising amount of balance. The honeyed hops are quite unique, unlike anything else I've had. The progression in the mouth as you stop to taste it seems to be sweet citrus, then dry bitter hops then an alcohol burning. The balance shifts towards sweetness at about 50F, and then tilts back towards hops closer to room temp.

M - Has a nice fizzy carbonation, one of the first things I noticed on tasting. Aftertaste is hops and booze; what were you expecting? Not too heavy for what it is, it goes down quite smooth.

D/O - This beer seems to be at it's most drinkable slightly below room temperature. It's a DIPA, if you're tossing down a sixer in one sitting something's gone terribly wrong. Hop heads are understandably thrilled with the beer, and craft lovers should at least be able to respect it. It's well enough off the beaten path, and in a good way, that it's worth searching out.

01-28-2009 02:45:21 | More by bluesoul
jkendrick

Colorado

4.28/5  rDev -4.7%

Appearance: Pours a hazy orange with a half inch head and plenty of fizzy carbonation stuck to the sides of the glass and flowing up. the head recedes moderately quickly leaving a lunar-like landscape on the top of the beer and clumpy lacing.

Aroma: Lots of grapefruit in the nose, with a touch of pine and pineapple.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and somewhat crisp with moderate oiliness for a DIPA.

Taste: Not as bitter as I expected from reputation and aroma. But make no mistake, this is a hoppy beer. There is that trademark pucker reaction from the first sip, so common among BIG IPAs. The high alcohol content is well-hidden and despite the initial bitterness, it mellows quickly and is ultimately pretty well-balanced for the style. The flavors are predominantly and distinctly grapefruit. There is some bready malts in the finish which leaves the bitterness on the back of the tongue presenting a pleasant aftertaste.

Overall Impressions: Well-balanced for the style and extremely deceptive in the alcohol department. I prefer a bit more complexity, but if you love big grapefruit flavors in your IPAs, you'll love this beer.

01-28-2009 01:39:37 | More by jkendrick
biker30x

4.4/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Are there hops in this?

'08 ($18 a six at Sam's HP) version. Opens with a massive malty grapefruit scent, pours into a pint with a surprisingly clear amber color and light head that dissipates quickly, some light lacing. The nose of grapefruit falls away after a few minutes and the following scent is of pine and resin (my sense of smell isn't the best). The taste is almost pure hops as it hits your mouth, spice and carbonation. Resin bites my tongue, I'm looking for the citrus or sweet malt. the mouthfeel is satisfyingly viscous. At the back, a very burnt malty sweetness was a pleasant addition. the alcohol ads a welcome burn. When it's gone the hops stick around to kick my tongue for a while longer...and I like it.

This is a huge hop-bomb of a beer where the hops are leading a Sherman-esque scorched earth march on the Atlanta of my mouth. The alcohol alone says you don't drink this one all night. It's unbalanced in the best sense of the word.

These big DIPAs are my thing. This is among the best. I found the lack of malt and citrus (at least on my palate) kept this one from being my go-to DIPA. Sorry to all the Hopslam-ers out there. This beer is better than really good, I just like a flavor profile that features a bit more over-the-top citrus to war against the beyond-belief hops. I think it is worth the $18 and I'm glad to have tried it, but there are a couple others that cost less that I like better.

Going to MI soon, maybe I'll find it on tap.

01-28-2009 01:13:08 | More by biker30x
sluhdrum07

Missouri

4.8/5  rDev +6.9%

had my bud pick me up a sixer when it came into friar tucks. fearing it was sold out, i was relieved and sooo excited to get it.

appearance: nice and orange/goldenish tone, almost if not completely translucent.

smell: like a produce aisle; peach, or mango, or pineapple, or... all?

taste: reinforcing that fruit, with some more citrusy flavors. i suppose i can taste the hops...its only called hopslam. god thats good

mouthfeel: like a liquified fruit smoothie. can kinda taste the alcohol, but the array of flowery fruit pretty much kills it.

drinkability: i could drink this all day, throughout the year. i want this for the summertime but i doubt if i'll find another six and if i do that i could keep it that long.

01-28-2009 00:36:35 | More by sluhdrum07
SmithwicksNut

Missouri

4.38/5  rDev -2.4%

A: a light copper with an orange tint. has a hazy apearance to it. beautiful white head with picturesque lacing on the glass. head stayed throughout the beer.

S: I got slapped in the face with HOPS! A lot of it. For a beer with 10%ABV it can't be detected because you keep getting punched in the nose with all the hops.

T: Hops from start to finish. Once the beer warms up a bit you do get the alcohol warming.

D: Medium body with medium carbonation. Smooth and crisp. Alcohol warming once it is swallowed.

O: A True "Hop Bomb"! If this is what you like...As Emril says "BAM!" It is good stuff

01-27-2009 23:39:52 | More by SmithwicksNut
Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.