Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 2,000
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.

(Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
4.55/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

That's to MrChopin for sendin me a fresh batch.

Pours a clear golden color with a thin head that dissapated fast. Not alot of lacing but a decent looking beer.

Aroma is awesome. Lots of fruity aroma hops with a slight malti sweetness. Pineapple, peach. Smells really good.

Taste is great. It's sweet but not overly thick. More like a sugar sweetness. Great hop flavor and bitterness. Really great balance.

Mouthfeel is great. I like the maltiness without the viscosity. Great carb.

Overall I could pound these a few In a row because their so tasty and not to wrecking on the palate. I will trade for some of this every year probably.

PeprSprYoFace, Feb 17, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +7.6%

An aggressive pour into a pint glass yielded a beautiful golden orange concoction of haze that swirled like summer clouds. A massive, frothy white head left great lacing throughout.

The smell is insane! Citrus is dominant, primarily grapefruit, with honey and a pine like spice.

Taste lives up to the smell. The grapefruit comes through, the hops give a huge bite, but the honey seems to keep the zing from becoming too much.

Thick, but smooth in the mouth. The carbonation keeps it crisp and lively.

This beer is very drinkable. Have to remind myself it is 10% ABV. Will try to pick up another sixer before they are gone.

bigbluebeerguy, Feb 17, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -8.7%

Drank on: 2/12/10

12 oz. bottle in pint glass

A= Pours a nice translucent light gold color. Provides a nice thin layer of foam. Tiny CO2 bubbles here and there.

S= Fruity aroma of mangos and some malt sweetness. Very refreshing.

T= Fruity hoppiness at first which is joined by a sweet heady hop zing. Nice piney, resinous hop bite in the middle. Tangy hint at the end. Has a wonderful hop flavor with a good bit of bitterness which mellows with time. Honey is noticable but wonderful.

MF= Nice heavy feeling on the tongue. Coats the tongue and throat with a thick layer of hop oil leaving a wonderful alcoholic warmth behind.

D= A few of these and you'd think anything was possible. This beer begs to be drank and to be respected.

Overall a wonderful beer from Bell's laced with great hop flavors and a nice honey sweetness.

evansrdbrew, Feb 16, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured into a imperial pint glass.
A- Golden orange with a nice frothy thick head. Leaves nice lacing all the way down.

S- Seriously, it is one of the most fragrant beers I have ever smelled. The citus, hops, and floral aromas just jump into your soul. Grapefruit, oranges, pine, and hops dominate. Some alcohol is present but it's masked by the aforementioned aromas.

T- OH MY! Just str8 goodness! The citrus is sooo fresh. A grapefruit/orange taste mixed with a pine flavor and a hint of honey to throw in the mix. OH did I mention HOPS. There is a bit of a spice at the end but there is not a burn, just a hint of spice as if the beer gods are reminding me that this one is 10+ ABV.

M- I want to feel this beer in my mouth as often as I can. It leaves a nise crisp feeling. I know it wants me to drink it. I feel the hops and citrus dancing on my pallet coupled with the perfect amount of carbonation. SMOOTH!!!!

D- I'm almost glad (not really) I can only get this beer a few months out of the year. If it was available any longer I would be broke. I don't think twice b4 spending $57.00 on a case of this beer. It must be noted that this beer is extremely dangerous. It is so smooth that I could drink it alll night long. As a matter of fact, I have. I indeed was slammed. This beer just makes me happy! I can be having a bad day and all I have to do is think about the hopslam that is in my fridge...suddenly, life is good. This one is a MUST HAVE.

urwithdave, Feb 16, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +8.7%

Poured in my favorite glass, my Duvel Tulip.

A - Pours a very beautiful mango/apricot color with about a finger of head that leaves quickly, decent lacing.

S - Amazing hops and grapfruit, just amazing, I want to eat it. A little pineapple. I seriously could sniff this all day long.

T - Bitter and Cirtrusy hops, grapefruit, and pineapple. Honey tones down the hops and is just a great compliment. Man this is just heaven and I am not a IPA/DIPA fan at all either.

M - Seems like the honey coats my tongue a bit.

D - Dangerously drinkable, more than 2 and I would be done, but what a great day to end a night. Makes me want this year around.

If you like beer you have to try this.

semibaked, Feb 16, 2010
4.38/5  rDev -2.4%

Thanks to kzoobrew for this fresh bottle.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Red Stripe pint glass.

A: Clear, light amber color that you can see right through. Great head retention!

S: Fresh hops, pLiny, and some jasmine.

T: Honey up front, light and citrusy fruits in the middle, and a bitter finish (but not as much as The Oracle).

M: This area is lacking a little bit, but it's surprising that they get it to be so light-bodied for a 10% ABV beer.

D: The best feature of this beer. A 6-pack was a bad idea for these guys because it would be too easy to bring to a party and kick in a night.

Overall, everyone should make it a point to try this.

hoppymcgee, Feb 16, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -6%

Pours orange gold with some cloudiness. Moderate sized white head displays a nice amount of retention and spotty lacing. Aroma is strongly hoppy with gratuitous grapefruit, orange peel, spicy and floral hops, and an underlying malt sweetness. Tastes hopped up with pine, oranges, lemon, and grapefruit. Spicy hops on the midpalate with a big earthy hops, alcohol, and cookie finish. Medium bodied with a full but not quite prickly amount of carbonation, sticky with flora and earth. Quite a tasty DIPA, though a bit spicy for me, with alcohol and caramel malt standing out a bit too much on the finish to make this one of my favorites.

vacax, Feb 16, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

One of my favorite Bell's products. Smells of honey and hops. Hops blended well with malt/honey backbone, also nice pine background.

-Bye

I am adding this text because I was told my review did not have enough characters. That's stupid!

Here's more because I was 10 short.

jbone78, Feb 16, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +3.1%

Worthy of the hype. One of the best APA/IPA/DIPA/Imperial IPA/however you want to classify it.

A little on the sweet side for a 10% ABV, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Honey, nutty, citrusy...a beautiful blend of hops. I wouldn't drink more than 2 of these at a time, although you easily could.

The price and availability are obvious downfalls. I think it's ridiculous to pay $19 for a 6-pack (going rate around here, if you even had a chance to buy), but I realize this is a blossoming business, so obviously breweries are going to take advantage of the opportunity. Great beer in small quantities from a highly reputable brewery= upcharge a forgone conclusion.

With that being said, I'll drink this beer as much as I can when it's available.

twoheartedheel, Feb 15, 2010
4.35/5  rDev -3.1%

mini keg I bought at steve's for 35.99

A-Yellow Golden orange, tons of foamy head. Tons of bubbles shooting towards the to, my uncle opened this beer and it overflowed all over him, priceless! what a good start

S- Strong Piny citrus. Can smell this beer from 3 feet away. Smells like a hopheads dream

T-Woah tons of piny hops. Does very well at taking the edge off while keeping the hops flavor.

M-Tons of carbonation. I got this bottle very fresh.

D-I really enjoyed this beer even though I am not a hop head. I am on my second.

leakyfaucet12, Feb 15, 2010
4.72/5  rDev +5.1%

2010 review. Poured from the bottle into a Dogfish Head chalice.

A: A nice 1/2" head formed from a moderately aggressive pour. A nice, clear golden orange with healthy carbonation levels. It's one of those thick, dense looking beers where the carbonation slowly creeps out. Quite nice, though.

S: Insanely huge aroma, with sweet fruits and honey, citrus zest, cherries, floral and resinous notes... phenomenal.

T: Candied maraschino cherries, resinous hops, with a bit of bite combined with an overwhelming sweetness that smooths it all out. There might be some mild tart apple in there, too. It was better on draft, but still so good in the bottle.

M: Ideal - good density and carbonation, nice, mouth-filling consistency.

D: One of the most famous beers around, and for good reason. Huge aroma and taste, with a perfect mouthfeel. Even with a big ABV, you want to keep drinking. A classic.

Telix, Feb 15, 2010
4.9/5  rDev +9.1%

I guess it's time i put in my 2 cents worth. This is far and away the best beer i have had to date. Yes i'm from michigan and no i am not biased. If this beer were from bum f---ed egypt i would still feel the same! Looks great with a beautiful golden hue and light creamy head with medium lacing. Smell is like no other, sweet honey hops yeast? Taste is balanced perfectly between a hopped up dipa and honey- citrus floral combination. Pineapple galore. Very mild aftershock with a minimal clue to it's potent abv. Mouthfeel is smooth, sweet and luxurious. Drinkability is great so long as you don't "slam" too quickly. My or other's words can't express the quality of this beer so theres really only one thing you can do: Try it for yourself and you be the judge!!

kalkavekkian, Feb 15, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +6.5%

To date, the best beer I have ever tasted. This was my first experience with this beer and I am already on my second case. Poured from 12 oz. bottle in to pint glass. Pours a golden with minimal white head. From the first sniff of this beer I was hooked. It seriously smells like freshly cut fruit drizzled with honey. The flavor does not disapoint. It is the perfect belend of bitter and sweet. Bitter hops, citrus, peach, honey... Moderate carbonation, very nice mouthfeel. I am hooked.

billzee, Feb 15, 2010
4.35/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. This pours a small head with lacing that sticks to the sides like glue. It's an almost bright yellow color with sediments dancing like $2.00 Sea Monkeys. Oddly, this almost smells like a pina colada to me. It was really surprising and really unique. This is an extremely smooth beer. Unlike many IPAs, the bitterness hides underneath the sweetness. Boy, a guy could get use to drinking these. 10% ABV? These will get you in trouble fast. My first one and, in my opinion, a beer that livse up to the hype.

billyzoom666, Feb 14, 2010
4.45/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours orange-gold - a definite beacon of unique color in a world of beers that all too often look alike. A full finger of head is reduced to a thin cap of carbonation.

The smell might remind you of a glass of orange juice - so fruity, and even juicy. Seems like you could squeeze the glass and get more than just the 12 oz.

Hop bomb to the utmost, though it remains incredibly juicy, sweet, and with only a mildly trailing bitterness toward the end.

A spark of carbonation touches on the tongue, paving the way for the introduction of the hops, which then stick around for a long time, warm and lingering.

Really enjoyable in that it's completely unique and wholly consuming, moreso than almost anything else on the market - that makes it highly drinkable, but to a point given that it is so big - two beers is that point.

mdcrouser, Feb 14, 2010
4.28/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a light amber/burnt orange with a white head that fades slower than average. Lots of lacing

S - Lots of pine primarily, but some of the grapefruit and floral characters I so love.

T - HopSLAM is right, this thing beats you to death with em, but leave you asking for more! Again more pine than citrus, but tons of both. I suppose my only complaint is that its a bit boozy/hot, but I suppose thats the price you pay for 10%

M - About right for the style, perhaps a bit thick.

D - Definitely going for next year's batch!

NYCWheatFanSC, Feb 14, 2010
4.93/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured from a bottle into my pint glass. A hoppy honey flavored ipa the bottle says... can't wait.

A - Clear orangey body with a nice white head.

S - Hop heaven, fruit, and honey. WOW. As a hophead - this is my wet dream.

T - Bursts of fruity hoppiness. My new second favorite IPA only slightly under the Pliny.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation. The hops party in my mouth and the finish leaves me dying for another sip.

D - Well balanced hop explosion makes this 10 percent beer extremely drinkable. Alcohol is so well hidden. So glad I have a six pack of this stuff.

DNICE555, Feb 13, 2010
4.93/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours with a nice pretty white head & clear, light orange color.

Smells fantastic. The taste is great too. Hops are everywhere, but they're toned down by a sweeter taste to it, limiting the bite & bitterness of some other hop assaults.

Great beer from a great brewery.

EDIT: I don't know whatever possessed me to give this brew an "A". Someone should have kicked my ass. After sampling, & sampling, & sampling this again & again, this might be the best IIPA on the planet. Full of aggressive hops, a smell that can be discerned immediately upon popping the top, & the touch of honey that adds that tiny bit of sweetness that keeps it from singeing your taste buds. Perfect.

maximum12, Feb 13, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

Every year I get excited for this beer to come out - one of the best DIPAs out there for sure! Had this from a bottle numerous times and have already managed to find myself bellied up to the bar at Sonka Irish Pub multiple times this week. Sweet nectar!

Pours a light amber color with a very thin white head. Slightly cloudy but this quickly becomes nearly clear. A good looking beer!

What a nose on this guy! Definitely one of the best smelling beers around. Loads and loads of citrusy fruits. And hops - a quick whiff lets you know this thing is just loaded with them! I find myself stuffing my nose into my pint glass every single time I take a drink!

An outstanding beer. Very sweet to start off...not honey sweet, but fruit sweet. Then the hoppiness begins. A small amount of the piney hops are certainly in there along with a grapefruit / orange peel blast that really smacks you. How wonderful to have a lingering taste that is both sweet and bitter. Long after a drink has been swallowed, I'm able to dig some more sweet-bitter out of the corners of my mouth. This beer is truly a prize for hopheads. The malt is virtually non-existent as the power of the hops is obviously the focus of this brew. This is quite a mouthful too - smooth for sure, with the alcohol fairly well masked.

Overall, this is a phenomenal beer. I'll keep heading to the pub to try and get my fill before the last keg runs dry. A must-try for anyone who truly loves the hoppy beers.

hayesez, Feb 13, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +8.7%

Everyone knows how good this beer is, so I'll add something that maybe everyone doesn't know.

Before this year's batch came out, I found a 6-pack of last year's in a local deli and bought it. I was PSYCHED, as I hadn't had it in a year and remembered it being one of the best around. Maybe it was that particular batch, but it did NOT age well.

Essentially, the honey that the beer is brewed with came through, full force, and it just tasted like a honey beer.

So the long and short of it might be, drink this one while it's fresh. Because when it's fresh, it is just too good.

tonymoore, Feb 12, 2010
4.8/5  rDev +6.9%

I finally got my hands on one of these!

a - Carmel/Copper color. Pours a delicious 2 finger off white head. Very nice light lace.

s - Extreme floral sweet smell. Smell of grapefruit/citrus. Very fresh, clean and refreshing. With a slight burn to the nostrils.

t - First sip - starts with a bitter/sweet balance and then comes back with a bitter vengeance in the back of throat. This woke my taste buds with a bite. Also has mild alcohol taste. Very refreshing and complex.

m - Has a oily/med mouth feel. It really flows and rolls around the mouth.

d - Again this is not for the weak. If you like hoppy beers this is one that you need to try. To me this is a sipping beer that needs to appreciated for it very complex taste. Of course I would love to throw back 3 or 4. : )

jdrury245, Feb 12, 2010
4.28/5  rDev -4.7%

I've been wanting to get my hands on this for quite a while now. Everyone hypes it up to be one of the greatest beers out there...so here we go.

(a)-Pretty standard. Good carmel color, perfect amount of head and lacing. (4/5)

(s)- It's called hopslam so be ready for the garden. Strong floral scent, higher alcohol content gives a lil sting to the nostrils. (4/5)

(t)- Excellent beer. The perfect beer when I'm looking for a hop fix. Extreme bitterness, but thats too be expected...right? (4/5)

(m)- Great mouthfeel. Very filling and hits every part of the palete. John Mayer would call this sexual napalm. Excellent (4.5/5)

(d)- As far as drinkability goes, im ending this beer after a 6 pick of Gumball head...needless to say right now I probably couldnt handle a few of these. At 10%ABV this shit is great, but when concerned with drinkiability you would be a rockstar to get 6 down. (4/5)

drunk, goodnight

lbaker, Feb 12, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

As a boy who grew up in Vermont I thought we had the best beers in America. After all we've got Shed, LT, Magic Hat, Rock Art, The Bobcat, Trout River and many more. But now that I live in Michigan and I am able to sample some of the midwestern scene I am not so sure any more. Bell's HopSlam is my latest and let me say this bevy has it all for me. High alcohol with a taste that keeps me refilling my glass. I won't bore you with the details of my experience last night but I'll just say that if all beers were as classy, consistent, and as well crafted as the HopSlam, the world would be a better place.

Texasville, Feb 12, 2010
4.95/5  rDev +10.2%

Manna from heaven drank from a clay mug.

A: Ample head (> 1 cm) subsides after a few minutes / pulls. A thin archipelago of well-sized bubbles remains through the life of the glass (20 minutes tops). Shine flashlight down the mug and it's golden, almost clear.

S: Grapefruit-tangerine, honey, pine.

T: First to mention: the sweet honey aftertaste, echoing off the everpresent hops. The hops are surprisingly subtle for a beer named, Hopslam. For me it's not as hop-centric as Sierra Nevada ( a go-to)--much more complex. Bread is in there, a heartiness, a healthiness.

M: Thick and effervescent. I think my breath is pretty good after drinking this!

D: Nectar of the gods! Belches reminiscent of the drink. Logical evolution of Two-Hearted Ale. I like it better than competitors I've tasted. Like other posters said it's hard not to drink another tonight.Think I might as well...

JoshRadTxist, Feb 12, 2010

My 325th review, I have wait some time to finally have a Hopslam.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a stemmed glass.

The color is a hazy orange with three fingers of white foamy head and some really nice lacing.

The smell is HOPPY, a great floral flavor is up fount and gives me visions of the first day of spring. A garden with the flowers blooming. Some nice citrus, juicy flavor in the background that makes me a bit thirsty.

The taste is serious hops, better than the smell, the taste of the hops on your tongue is bitter but well tooled to keep you interested for the next go round. Fruits come out to wash the tongue with the bitter hops and first this beer some amazing depth beyond it's namesake hops. Some apple, orange, and tease of banana comes out slightly within the hops and is wash into the storm of hops.

This feel of this beer is a pleasant medium body. It had some nice carbonation that gave this beer a bit of a zing. It is one of the best beers I have had and I really want to have this year round but I know my pleasure is only limited.

Duhast500, Feb 11, 2010
Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.