Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 1,936
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.

(Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
4.88/5  rDev +8.7%

I tried this beer in bottled form from a six pack that I purchased.

This beer pours with a very lovely color similar in tint to that of pineapple juice (due to lighting it may appear brighter or darker depending on the room).

The effervescent aroma of hops hits both the nose and the palate with a "slam" very indicative of its namesake.

Though quite bitter through the immediate tasting, its sweet counterbalance, with the help of honey as an ingredient, replenishes the initial hop effect with a very accommodating smoothness.

This gracious transition allows this particular beer to be both robust, and yet, also extremely drinkable because of the subtle and smooth juxtaposition of the intense hops proportionally balanced by a sweet merger of honey and malt, flourishing with this brew's ability to transcend from a very intense hop distinction to a sweet, almost nectar-like effect in its final palate effects. Simply put, this is a "must-have beer" for any hop head or anyone who wants to try a great beer!

LoveMeAGoodBeer, Jan 16, 2010

Clear amber coloring.

Smell is phenomenal, like a freshly sliced grapefruit sitting in front of you.

Taste is citrus, not super-bitter, like I was expecting. Grapefruit, pineapple.

Doesn't feel like a 10% abv. Actually very light and crisp. Could drink this forever.

prg1976, Jan 16, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

First time having this hyped beer -- picked it up right after it hit town. Bellsbeer.com Batch Finder indicates my batch -- 9501 -- was bottled on Dec. 30. I'm drinking on Jan. 15.

A: Poured into a Founders pint, it's a bright orange-honey color with a slightly pillowy head that leaves good lacing throughout.

S: Hard to beat this in the DIPA category. I've heard folks call this "Four-Hearted," as in, a doubled version of Bell's Two-Hearted. The nose makes the best argument for this. It's like the pineapple and orange aromas from the Two-Hearted are amplified here. Really huge citrus-fruit aromas. Lovely.

T: If I didn't know there was honey brewed into this beer, I'd realize it right now. Instead of being walloped by hops or alcohol, the first wave over the mouth is a clean honey sweetness, which goes a long way in preparing the mouth from the hop onslaught that's coming. The hop bitterness comes out big time, and then the honey reveals itself again on the finish.

M: Good carbonation -- beer feels neither creamy nor prickly in the mouth.

D: Incredibly drinkable for a 10% DIPA. Wow. You definitely couldn't polish off a six-pack in one night (if you do, bravo), but you can easily down one or two of these quickly before realizing you just had a hop bomb that's packing 10% abv.

STLbeerwriter, Jan 16, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +7.6%

Whoa! Silly me for only purchasing one six pack on the first visit. I'm a skeptic about hyped beers, but this one delivers.

Pours a very bright orangey-amber color with medium sized white cap that receds nicely to a good rim layer, with plenty of residual lace.

Nose is very bright with fresh fruit. Literally those nose on this compared to other DIPA's is like comparing fresh squeezed OJ to some generic brand made from concentrate. Fresh, citrusy, floral, a delight... While I get mostly orange and grapefruit there's also some miscellaneous tropical fruit that I can't nail down - maybe mango, pineapple, apricot perhaps.

On the palate I'm amazed at the honeyed & gently sweet flavors that start things off for the big hop flavors that follow. Although they're full-flavored, they're not overwhelming like a Double Bastard, for example. Just right for this style, IMO. Alcohol is masked relatively well and this is a delight to drink. Rating relative to style, this is probably the most drinkable DIPA I've had.

yemenmocha, Jan 16, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured into a tulip. So excited!!

A - Pours a nice light copper color or strong golden color with some mild reddish hints. There is a tight and dense thin head that is about 1 finger high. There is some nice carbonation rising from the bottom and the head recedes to a thin mat. There is some sticky lacing to the sides as I drink the beer.

S - Strong piney and floral aroma. Like a bouquet of roses with pine needles in it. Some ruby red grapefruit pulp is also present and citrus hints are present. Very attractive. Very sweet smells.

T - Wow!!! I cant believe this beer isn't more readily available. It begins with a sweet grainy taste followed by a strong citric but equally sweet grapefruit sweetness. There is also some hints of almond and of course the sweet honey. The malty grain is definitely present and there is some biscuit and bready taste midway through the beer hidden behind the sweetness and citrusy character. Hop character can be felt throughout the beer. It finishes with a biscuity taste and the characteristics dry, bitter and citric hop tastes. As the beer warms the ABV is definitely perceivable but is very well hidden with the honey and the rest of the beer.

M - medium-light, with good CO2 balance and very complex flavors.

D - High aside from the ABV. Plus, the fact that its a limited release makes you want to make it last.

JoEBoBpr, Jan 16, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +7.6%

Thanks to khumbard for the fine box today. I couldn't help but open a hopslam immediately.

Golden amber, barley fields coated in fine wildflower honey, the finest days on a sunny farm. Citrus and pine, muted behind a rosy wink of delight. Smooth and crisp, who said it is 10% I do not believe! 5 or 6, sure, but no this cannot be that big.

May the fine ladies and gents at Bell's be thanked, especially that cute dread-head girl who served me this august.

olympuszymurgus, Jan 16, 2010
4.43/5  rDev -1.3%

Reviewed on 01-14-10
Cold from a bottle to a glass

A - Golden amber color, 2 fingers of foam with lots of carbonation present throughout the glass, great head retention with a ring of lacing

S - Sweet citrus hop smell followed with a piney smell.

T - I just received a Chuck Norris type round house kick to the face of hops! Followed by a karate chop of pine. For a second I thought I was deep in the northern woods of Minnesota with the pine aftertaste. For such a harsh reality of a brew it turned smooth pretty quick. This to me made it very enjoyable

M/D - Not that I have had that many but this by far is the hoppiest brew that I have enjoyed to date. Being pretty fresh though I couldn't do that many in one sitting but very much so worth it. I enjoyed a one year old HopSlam at New Years and of course lighter on the hop kick but still very enjoyable. A for sure brew to drink fresh or with some age on it, I had bought a sixer so I plan to update and add to this review with some added notes as time goes by!

FreshmanPour77, Jan 15, 2010
4.97/5  rDev +10.7%

Appearance- Golden and honey is color, with a great firm two finger head. It is cleanly filtered with no haze.

Smell- Wow, hops normally do not have this aroma. A citrus smell, without any resiny or sharp bitter notes. unique and pleasing to say the least.

Taste- I don't know of a way to discribe this brew as other than exceptional. There is an amazing hop pressence but it is tempered by the slight very slight sweetness of the honey. What comes through is an amazingly smooth and delightful DIPA. Citrus, hop notes abound, with a very small amount of carmal malt sneaking in.

Mouthfeel- Again, perfectly balance.

Drinkability- Most DIPA's have such a punch of bitterness, that they become a beer to be slowly sipped. Much like a cup of coffee that was hot enough to sue over. But this is so smooth and delightful, one cannot taste the alchohal even though it is 10%. I have had many beers at the 7.5% mark that where much more noticble. A great session beer, however you might end up on the floor if you attempt it.

Burl41, Jan 15, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -6%

Bell's hopslam. What can you say that hasn't already been said. I bought this beer in bottle form for a decent price, $4 a bottle. Poured the beer into a standard American pint and it held a great frothy head. Immediate overwhelming hop presence in the nose. I could smell this beer all evening. This beer taste of a hop plant, check the label. It starts strong and finish's like a 12 round heavy weight champion. It's mouthfeel is a like a lingering hangover sitting on your tongue. I feel that if you drink more than two you will not be able to drink anything else for the rest of the night...and I would be totally fine with that.

Dsb3350, Jan 15, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

Served in a 12oz snifter. Glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically.

Appearance: As served the beer is a nice dark tangerine color with a 1/8" white head that receded to a ring and an irregular shaped film of foam on the surface of the liquid. Throughout the beer sipping left some nice, but sparse lacing.

Smell: The aroma has a soft pleasant almost floral citric character that mingles together some orange, tangerine and lemon flower with some hints of malt and honey.

Taste: Much as expected from the nose, the complex flavor of the beer is almost sweet with honey and malt backbone and it is almost bitter with the flavors of orange zest and tangerine. But the flavor is also unexpected from the nose as there are some tropical fruits thrown in for good measure.

Mouthfeel: The mouth feel is full to medium bodied and smooth, with moderate but persistent carbonation that lasts throughout the beer. The finish is long and gentle with hop flavors riding on the sweetness until they gradually fade away leaving a slight dryness that invites the next sip.

Drinkability: This is a first rate DIPA that is well made and very very drinkable. I could easily have another right now but will pass because of the ABV. I'm sure I'll be having this again. One particularly nice thing about this beer is that one can taste the hops without the tongue rasping that characterizes many DIPAs. But that being said, for me this is not at the top of my short list simply because out of the bottle and with a bit more age I can pick up traces of the honey which is something I prefer more hidden or not in the beer at all. I like this one much better on tap.

drtth, Jan 15, 2010
3.55/5  rDev -20.9%

A- Light golden, honey color with minimal head. Very little lacing.
S- Aroma is very good, dominated by complex hops, mostly tropical fruit with some piney hops crammed in there somewhere.
T- After such an impressive aroma, the taste is a bit of a let down. Not nearly as much hop flavor as there is in the smell. Still, tropical hop flavors, some pale malt but nothing interesting, a bit on the sweet side. Some alcohol in the aftertaste as well, but the sweetness of the beer does a decent job at covering it up. Not overly bitter but still plenty of hop character.
M- Medium body and carbonation, like most midwest DIPAs this one seems to be a bit heavier then it needs to be.
D- With the high abv I dont think I could have more then a couple of these before I moved on to something else. A bit disappointing, not my favorite imperial IPA.

nkersten, Jan 15, 2010
4.43/5  rDev -1.3%

From my first BIF.. thanks a billion, MbpBugeye!!!

The only other Bell's I had was The Oracle. Interesting to see how this compares.

A- Beautiful. Glowing amber/orangey with ruby highlights. Snow-white head that settles to two fingers and laces immediately. Great, dense head with good retention. Looks like damn near the best DIPA I've ever seen.

S- Reminds me of PtE.. sweet, floral, citrus, not sure if I'm picking up on the honey or if it's just the sweet floral hops.

T- OK, I can taste the honey. Citrus, sweet citrus fruit, not overripe but darn close (not that that's a bad thing). A bit of bitter/pine that I didn't get in the nose comes through at the end, but it is very mild and helps cut through the sweetness. Malt is a bit bready but really playing second fiddle to the hops here.

M- Where's the ABV? Incredible. A hop head's dream.

D- High, ABV in mind... I could get into some serious trouble with this one. One of the better third coast offerings. Worth seeking out if you like your hops.

ShogoKawada, Jan 15, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +3.6%

I don't buy into hype. I expected to go to the Bell's Dinner at Spinnerstown Hotel in PA and SLAM hopslam as another over-hopped, over-hyped burly man brew.

Wrong!

The color was a pleasant orange-amber with some darkness at the center. The head seemed solid and full, and hung around for quite a while.

I took my first sniff and it was an explosion of aromatic citrus, sweetness, pine, grasses and herbs - all in the hops and honey.

The flavor is an amazingly complex, balanced and tantalizing. It is juicy and sweet with honey and grainy malt. Toasted bread and jam-like grapefruit and orange. Each sip also fills the nose with more intense but not upsetting hop fragrance.

The mouthfeel is full, smooth and satisfying. As you drink down the glass the flavors seem to become deeper, smoother and heavier with the bitterness increasing but never becoming overwhelming. The alcohol presence is subdued for the huge amount hidden in this brew.

It is extremely, dangerously drinkable.

I don't normally like IPA/DIPA blends but I feel this is a beer that not only exemplifies but help to set the standards of a beer.

Minotaur, Jan 15, 2010

Bottle # 9501 (12/09)

Purchased through West lakeview Liquors, Chicago

Price - $17.49/6-pack

Appearance: It pours a hazy golden color with fines in suspension. After a few minutes the head disappears to just a ring around the glass.

Smell: Hops! Hops! Hops! So damn good. Pine and citrus round it out.

Taste: WOW! This beer is amazing. Bitter (but not overwhelming) with a slite taste of honey which is just enough to balance out the massive burn one would expect from a hop bomb. Grapefruit coming through in the backround. Alcohol is well hidden at 10%.

Mouthfeel: Low carbonation. Goes down smooth with a thin body and leaves a slite bitter after taste.

Drinkability: Oh yeah!! My problem is I didn't buy enough of it. I'm kicking myself in the ass for not biting the bullet. Do yourself a favor and stock up. Good job Bell"s!!

05Harley, Jan 14, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

taken from notes, had ontap a few nights ago.

Poured into a pub glass, producing a solid 1+ inches of frothy white head. Receding to leave thick lace coverage and a good collar of white.
Transparent filtered look, color is a darker gold.

Aroma is quite fruit forward with pineapple, pine, grapefruit, malt still comes through though with hints at caramel and biscuits.

Taste is an amalgamation of flavors and aromas coming together to form one badass beer. All aroma's transferred into taste, pineapple and mango coming through swinging in a sweet nectar. Hops do bitter up through the swallow with pine and lingering grapefruit. Pineapple sings through all flavors lingering amongst the bitters in a semi sweet caramel filled delight.
Mouthfeel is terrific as usual with an abundance of soft carbonation and a semi creamy feel to it.
Alcohol in heat is not present in aroma or taste, making this one dangerous brew!

Awsome as always.

Buebie, Jan 14, 2010
4.7/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured from a tap into a 12 oz snifter.

Appearance: A very relaxed amber with hazy undertones. There is a very small head which vanishes quickly and leaves minimal lacing.

Smell: Wow. As I was talking to the bartender I could smell the hops wafting up to me. The complexity of the aroma was off the charts. I was first hit with the citrus and then the pine and finally the scent of farm fresh wet hops. Simply spectacular.

Taste: Again the complexities of the hops really stand out. The fruity hops present themselves first but the one works its way into the flavor all while there is a sense of freshness involved. A gorgeous symphony of the different hops which is complimented nicely by some bitterness and s very mild malt backbone. The beer is so strong with flavor but some how really invites you take another sip immediately.

Mouthfeel: Most IPA's this complex leave me feeling worn out. Not HopSlam. The intense flavors have more of a relaxing sensation as they wash over your tongue with just the right body, carbonation and bitterness.

Drinkability: A dangerously drinkable brew. I could easily have four or five without thinking.

This may be my new benchmark for IPA's. Well done Bell's!

CaptMurdock, Jan 14, 2010
4.7/5  rDev +4.7%

Finally...the last time this came around I was unsure of my hopheadedness...but not this time...

Pours a slightly hazy golden color into a pint glass. It has an ever so subtle tint of copper to it. A nice, two finger off-white head is produced with decent retention. It leaves some nice lacing all over the glass.

The nose is intense floral and citrus hops. I get lemon and grapefruit, orange and pineapple. This is some really good smelling stuff. I'm sure there is a strong malt backbone under all this, but I sure can't pick it up.

The taste is just like the nose, but this time I get a more defined piney and resiny hop note. Still the typical floral and citrus notes apply, even more so as the brew warms. An ever so subtle hint of alcohol is noticed near the finish, as is a spicey hop character that doesn't come into play anywhere else except the aftertaste.

Lighter than I expected, between light and medium. A nice bite from the hops, with an appropriate carbonation level. Drinkability is amazing.

This was totally worth the wait. I realized I made another mistake though...I should have bought much more than the two sixers that I did...because I'm already done with one and I'm not ready to wait another year to have this again!

Mistofminn, Jan 14, 2010
4.72/5  rDev +5.1%

wow. this beer is ungodly. i had to avoid it last year because of the price, and this year wasn't too much better, but luckily im not as poor and i got a case. pours a hazy, faint bronze that laces my oversized wine glass like a wet snowball against a car's wind-shield. smells elegant, with a biting, pungent, and gorgeous sting of alpha acids. phenomenally floral, with a bite of granny smith tartness and tons of grapefruit, a bit of lime zest, and just perfection and balance. the taste is incredibly fresh, beautiful and brilliant. i also got pineapple, mango, a touch of banana, and as it warms, some very pleasant and faint caramel malt. Life is too short not to drink beer this excellent, absolutely divine. A+
Edited grades for this year

backfat, Jan 14, 2010
4.93/5  rDev +9.8%

Batch 9470. Bottled 12/22/09. Poured into a pint glass.

A- Golden-orange with a nice 3-finger off-white head. There are HUGE bubbles (relative to other beers) that have not stopped rising to the service since I poured it roughly 2 minutes ago (very unique.)

S- Huge, juicy citrusy hops aroma. The major player is orange with a little bit of grapefruit mixed in and a wonderful sweetness, which I have to assume is imparted by the honey (duh). I feel like I have my have nuzzled in a handful of fresh hops. I also get some other fruity aromas that I would not associate with citrus; these seem a bit more floral.

T- Starts off a with a bit of sweet citrus quickly followed by a phenomenal dose of bitter hops. I get a bit of bubble gum in the finish as well (original bubbalicious, not juicy fruit.) There's a definite piney characteristic in the bitterness that I did not pick up on in the aroma. Basically, what I'm trying to say, is this beer is what it would taste like if you brought a sack full of fresh, glorious hops to a juice bar/smoothie stand and made them run it through their juicer (obviously the carbonation and honey are not accounted for in this scenario.) The honey in the finish really ties the whole thing together.

M- Coats the mouth without lingering in an unwanted fashion. Something really different is going on with the carbonation here as well (as I alluded to in the appearance section). The bubbles feel like they are popping on the tongue in a delayed fashion.

D- This section isn't even fair. Hopslam is one of the best drinking beers that I have ever had. Couple that with the fact that it is an astonishing 10% DIPA and there is no contest. I would put drinkability at 5 if it were a 6% IPA. The only negative (which I refused to adjust the score for as it is not a fault of Bell's, but rather the absurd distribution structure in Philadelphia) is the absurd price tag ($93...it retails for $60 at the brewery. Like I said, no bearing on score.

mbudner, Jan 14, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +8.7%

Served in a snifter. Finally.

A: Pours with a very white head, average size and decent retention. Streamers of carbonation from the bottom of the glass to the top. Very good lacing. The body has a beautiful clementine-orange color, medium value, rich & vibrant at the same time. While mostly clear, there is just a bit of haze which adds to the overall richness and appeal.

S & T: The HopSlam doesn't just meet DIPA flavor/aroma expectations, it blows them away. The hops are omnipresent. Huge grapefruit is backed by orange and other big, juicy citrusy fruits, plus a small touch of pine. Simply amazing. Additional suggestions of mango, peach, papaya and pineapple flavors/aromas. The malts are present enough but weren't allowed to inject any particular aromas.

M: The mouthfeel was spot on. Medium body with a mineral-ly gritty texture and a big lively carbonation that prickles the tongue and keeps the alcohol presence at bay.

D: Top-notch drinkability. Bell's HopSlam is in a league of it's own.

FeDUBBELFIST, Jan 14, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a clear amber with about an inch of off-white head.

Smells strongly of bitter citrus fruit--grapefruit and oranges.

Tons of bitter hops up front, reminding me a lot of fresh grapefruit juice. Some maltiness comes through near the end, but the finish still has a lot of bitterness to it.

Somewhere between a light and medium body. Very crisp with a lot of bitter bite to it.

sidetracked, Jan 14, 2010

Had a Hopslam on tap last night at Churchkey in Washington D.C. and am currently enjoying a bottle now, bought today at my local Whole Foods.

A: Very nice! The Hopslam has a nice golden color to it. On draft it appeared to be a bit more hazy than out of the bottle.

S: Strong citrus/grapefruit aromas. The draft version smelled a little bit more piney to me. I can definitely detect the presence of honey.

T: A true hopbomb, yet very smooth and balanced. Nice citrus and some tropical flavors. Draft was a little more "hoppy."

MF: A little bit resiny, nice levels of carbonation.

D: What else can I say, it is Hopslam...Never know it was 10% abv, I could definitely sit here and drink a few of them, yet I want to savor these. One of the smoothest DIPAs out there and I agree with previous reviewer that this is one of the best years I can remember.

Serving type: on tap and bottle

jonesy77, Jan 14, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Moment of truth has arrived for me. First timer here been waiting and wanting for months.

A: 2 finger head that isn't all that thick. Not fluffy like a lot of IPA's have. Color is lighter than I expected. It is like a harvest moon. Not sure if the floaties are normal here. They had just been put on the shelf 2 hours before I got it maybe the yeast not had the time to settle yet?

S: Smell is out of this world! I am getting some nice hops upfront with sweet citrus and honey in the background. Really reminds of a really sweet strawberry with a touch of tartness. Honestly I would compare the smell to strawberry pie more than anything. Never would have guessed what this would smell like.

T: Nice! Never been hit with hops, citrus and sweetness all at the same time. It all carries through to the end. And it does pack quite a hop punch. I was a tad worried the sweetness would dummy it down too much. Not much of the earthy and piney notes although they are there.

M: Pretty much flawless. Carbonated just right and a bit syrupy.

D: This is going to be one easy drinking tasty brew. That 10% will creep up fast though.

First impression is that it is well worth the wait. Can't wait to see what happens when it warms a bit. I do believe I may pop in next week and just pick up a case. Hopefully I can drink it before the hops fade. Too bad I don't know anyone personally I can share with. This is by far the best DIPA I have ever had!

Edit: I just have to bump up the taste score. Blake assured me that by the third one I would be worshiping this beer. And he was right. I will never be able to get enough of this.

generalnotsew, Jan 14, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

Hopslam just came in to the local store, and its a buck cheaper this year... score! Poured in to Duvel glass.

A: Pours a somewhat hazy orange/gold with a collar of white head, the head doesn't last for long

S: the hops in this provide for a tropical fruit bomb.. I smell orange, grapefruit, papaya, mango, and lemon. Beneath the tropical aroma are sweet malts with a presence of honey. This smells fantastic.

T: While the nose is primarily an onslaught of hops, the palate provides everything the nose offers plus much more. All of the citric notes that were on the nose with some sourdough bread, some piney bitterness, and a sweet finish. Very complex and full of flavor. This is possibly the best DIPA out there.

MF: high carbonation, some stickiness

D: this has it all... a huge hop profile that is well balanced (read not overly bitter), a nice malt backbone that adds depth to the experience, and a dangerously well hidden high ABV. I am enjoying this more than I have in past years.

homebrew311, Jan 14, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

EDIT: Re-reviewing this on 1/12/11, 364 days and 974 reviews after first trying this, as I feel I have a better palate/ability to review beers. While I'm adding some things to this review, I stand by my original 4.8 review; this is one of my favorite DIPAs.

a - Looks amazing, a great golden color. A little carbonation and a little head, but not very much; gone after 45 seconds or so.

s - Smells strongly of citrus hops, as well as some light pine. Also got a little honey and sweet fruit here. Fantastic.

t - Great taste. At first it was not nearly as bitter as I was expecting. The more of it I drank, the more bitterness I tasted. Again, lots of citrus hops, pine, fruit, and honey.

m - Very little carbonation, light body, very smooth. For 10% ABV very easy to drink.

d - Very drinkable. If you are a fan of hoppy beers, I would highly recommend checking this out; it's definitely a great beer. Can't believe its 10%!

mdfb79, Jan 13, 2010
Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.