Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 1,836
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.

(Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
Blakaeris

Iowa

3.83/5  rDev -14.7%

Pours hazy copper-orange with a crisp white head that leaves globs of sticky lacing.

Aroma is a combination of citrus and resinous piney hops. Malty base with accompanying tropical fruit notes - notably mango and peach.

Taste is similar to the nose. Grapefruit hops have a leafy green feel. Excellent citrus character with orange, apricot, and peach. Surprising amount of caramel malt and brown sugar sweetness for a DIPA. Finish is only modestly bitter, along with lingering citrus fruit.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied. Soft, and slick with hop oil.

A balanced beer that has a great deal of sweetness for the style. The high ABV is very well concealed. Drinks like an IPA, missing the aggressive nature I would expect from a DIPA. This does not taste like a hop monster or a 'big' beer. I guess I had expected something more from Bell's....

02-26-2009 21:52:40 | More by Blakaeris
cleeze

Maine

4.22/5  rDev -6%

been on a big hop kick lately, and I am so glad this baby fell into my lap.

Poured a great golden color, almost copper. Nice frothy white head that disappeared to show some bad ass lacing.

Smells of citrus grapefruit, and lots of it. Smells hoppy as hell. Also picked up on the pine as well. Expecting more pine but I still love the grapefruit goodness

Taste was much like the smell. Hops bitch smackin' you in the face. Piney goodness blending well with a sweet honey taste.

Tangy mouthfeel. Makes me droool..

So glad I finally got a chance to try me some hopslam, not as good as Pliny but still damn good

02-26-2009 21:35:14 | More by cleeze
MEverritt

4.97/5  rDev +10.7%

Serving type: BTL

A- Light Copper in color. Left about 1/4inch head poured into a pint glass.

S- Smells of grapefruit or sour oranges. Hints of pinecones.

Taste- Very citrus-like. very yummy. Finishes with a slight taste of alcohol but was not overbearing at all.

M- almost creamylike but smoothe for the mostpart.

D- despite the high ABV. THis is a very drinkable beer. I could see myself having 4 to 6 in one session.

02-26-2009 18:30:21 | More by MEverritt
brianlg

4.35/5  rDev -3.1%

Tried this for the first time today. A 12oz bottle poured into my pint glass. It pours a darker goldish brown with a fairly small head, no bigger than 1 finger. The smell is very citrusy with a hint of pine needles. Upon the first sip, the beer is fairly bitter, and very citrusy and grassy as the smell would foreshadow. It goes down extremely well, better than I thought it would. The alcohol is there, but hidden very well for the 10% ABV. Mouthfeel is prtty bitter and acidy, in a good way. Overall, what a fantastic brew! I will definitely be back for more of these, when I have the money for them! Only wish they were cheaper!

02-26-2009 02:53:34 | More by brianlg
SykDoc

Wisconsin

4.58/5  rDev +2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. This beer pours a lovely golden color and forms a 1/2 inch off-white head that minimally reduces to a full covering. No sediment and fizz is noted in the transparent gold color.

The aroma is a amazing mix of grapefruit and pine, which is a testament to the hops. Some mild sweet grass notes are also present.

The taste is, as the aroma. There is a significant amount of citrus fruits and pine from the hops with a sweet malt hint present early. I am also picking up the grass clippings in the taste and it is good. The alcohol is well hidden.

The mouthfeel is a fairly full bodied beverage with a significant level of bitterness and dryness that sits on the palate. The carbonation highlights the flavor very well. It is smooth and goes down very well.

Overall, this is a very good beer. I think the only thing that keeps me from rating it a 5 in drinkability is that I feel my palate is battered after one and the second does not get the deserving credit. Overall, an amazing beer.

02-25-2009 04:12:08 | More by SykDoc
KeefD

4.7/5  rDev +4.7%

Finally had this one on tap at Whistle Binkies on the Lake. Small head on tap, but still had some decent lacing. Smell was just as good as from the bottle. Nothing pure hop bliss. Pine and citrus all the way. Taste? Well, what can I say? It's delicious. So much orange, grapefruit, and various citrus flavors backed up by some pine resin and a very solid, very sweet backbone. Do I like it better on tap? Well, probably not. The first time I had it out of the bottle (which my bottle review implies) was just magical. I can't see that first experience being topped. The only difference was lighter carbonation from the tap than from the bottle. Still fantastic, nonetheless. Appearance and a bit of aroma is the only thing lacking on tap compared to from the bottle.

02-25-2009 04:06:08 | More by KeefD
CMW

Missouri

3.85/5  rDev -14.3%

Not sure why I haven't reviewed this yet...

A - Pours a light copper color with a medium sized white head. Retention is decent but lacing is incredible. Translucent and carbonation can be seen throughout.

S - Smells like red grapefruit and sour oranges. There is also some piney notes. Very strong.

T - Some malt of front but this is soon washed away but citrusy hops. Small amount of warming alcohol in the finish.

M - Very creamy and the carbonation is not overpowering.

D - Very drinkable even considering the abv.

02-24-2009 02:04:56 | More by CMW
cvfish

Louisiana

4.3/5  rDev -4.2%

A - This beer poured a golden amber color that produced a fluffy white head that had good retention and left a decent amount of lace on the side of the glass

S - The nose of the beer was a little underwhelming than what I expected from a "Hopslam," but the honey, citrus, and pine mixture was quite pleasing

T - The taste of this beer was quite good, a good caramel malt with a good mix of grapefruits and honey in the middle and finished with a burst of bittering hops on the finish

M - This beer had a medium body along with a decent amount of carbonation

D - This is quite a DIPA, very tasty and drinkable, but beware of the ABV kick, you will not taste it at all, but this a great beer and another winner from Bell's

02-24-2009 01:45:35 | More by cvfish
praufs01

4.88/5  rDev +8.7%

Appearance - Slightly hazy orange/yellow brew with a frothy off-white head that dissipates quickly.

Aroma - Wisps of semi-sweet raw honey float on a solid grapefruit and pine resin hop aroma.

Mouthfeel - Full bodied brew that has a moderate amount of small bubble carbonation. The brew is syrupy but not sticky.

Taste - Mildly sweet up front followed by a light grapefruit middle that smoothes out and finishes with a nice raw honey aftertaste.

Overall - Outstanding!!! I can really taste the raw honey in this brew. Just the right amount of everything. Full in flavor but not overly sweet, nor bitter, nor carbonated. Great looking, smelling, and tasting. I wish it wasn't 10% alcohol because I really would like to have more than two in a session ; )

02-24-2009 00:09:08 | More by praufs01
Gilgemesh

4.15/5  rDev -7.6%

This beer poured a beautiful golden amber with a finger or two of head. Fluffy and light like whipped butter atop the amber candy below. The smell isn't as pungent as I expected, but is complex with a hint of the hoppy bitterness to come. The flavor is quite nice, and quite well rounded. Hops up front with a hint of the honey sweetness are followed by a nice hoppy bitter finish. Crisp and refreshing. This will be an excellent hot day beer and a very nice example of what I like in a DIPA. Worth the too much I paid for it.

02-24-2009 00:04:54 | More by Gilgemesh
Aenema

Maryland

4.4/5  rDev -2%

Appearance - Pours a slightly cloudy amber with a full, sticky head and nice lacing.
Smell - Lots of grapefruit along with piney, citrus hops.
Taste - Starts with full, citrus hop burst and finishes with a bitter hop bite. Tremendously juicy grapefruit and rich overall experience.
Mouthfeel - Creamy with a crisp finishes that resets the palate and allows each sip to replay the great combination of flavors.
Drinkability - Great drinkability for a beer of this strength, the alcohol is well-masked.

02-23-2009 23:22:42 | More by Aenema
MPLS

4.15/5  rDev -7.6%

I have experienced this beer on tap many times, but this was actually my first time buying a 6 pack of this stuff. I cannot believe the exorbitant price of hops. Oh well...

A: Pours a lustorous fuzzy golden orange. Sugary lacing. 3 cm foam cap.

S: Very aromatic, sweet, hoppy, fresh pine, and citrus.

T: Up front are pungent citrus hops, then the sweet malt is discernable only to be erased by an extensive bitter honey dryness. The hops are real clean and intense. Love it with the exception of the overly sweet aftertaste.

M: This guy is medium built, 5'8", good.

D: Too many of these and I'd get slammed drunk. Really enjoy this beer and will seek it out, probably on tap more than trying to purchase a 6 pack. Great IPA, just have a slight aversion to the cloying aftertaste.

02-23-2009 21:29:11 | More by MPLS
katiebecck

4.65/5  rDev +3.6%

Tried this beer for the first time this year at D's Six Pax and Dogz in Pittsburgh, I was thrilled to find it there on tap. Arrived at the table a beautiful golden orange with nice lacing on the pint glass. The nose is so tremendous, I just had to share it with those sitting at the table with me, and all agreed - very hoppy and floral, with notes of fruit, especially pineapple. The taste didn't disappoint, with a great deal of fruity hops on the tongue right off the bat. Finishes off so smoothly that you'd never know about the high ABV. Feels smooth and creamy in the mouth, extreme drinkability - enough so that I immediately went next door to buy a whole case for the fridge. Always look forward to the release of this beer.

02-23-2009 19:12:03 | More by katiebecck
crashoveride

4.72/5  rDev +5.1%

Had this beer for the first time on tap at "Teresa's Next Door" in Wayne PA. It was part of their Double IPA day. It was poured into a 12 oz. goblet. The color was a deep reddish amber color with about an inch head. The nose was strong of hops and fruits. The taste was outstanding and tastes as good as it smells. It is often compared to Russian River's Pliny the Elder but Bells has been more consistent with flavor and appearance. The drink ability was excellent and I ended up having 3 glasses :). A highly recommended double IPA!

02-23-2009 13:57:48 | More by crashoveride
sweetbrew82

12 oz. into a snifter/ no freshness date

P: Yellow from the bottle, and sits an appetizing apricot color in the glass. The white crown rises 1 finger high and is not quite as thick & creamy as other top-flight DIPA's, but still looks good. It was gone quickly, though, and settled to form a chunky halo while leaving loads of sticky lace behind.

A: Whoa! Aromatics just explode out of the bottle upon opening. One of the most explosively tropical-smelling DIPA's I've come across. Smells like sweet oranges, clementines, lots of peaches, melon, pineapple and caramel.

T: Triple IPA? Yeah, I'll go with that, wholeheartedly! Hopslam delivers a tsunami of citrus & tropical-flavored hops that brings tears to this hopheads' eyes. I swear, the malt is hardly even detectable underneath the onslaught of humulus lupulus. Seems to be more citrusy-sweet in the start with oranges, clementines, and tangerines. Then, tropical flavors burst onto the scene with peaches, melons, papayas, and pineapples. Caramel and a touch of honey lay underneath in supporting roles to help offset the intense hop attack. The IBU's have to be over 100, but somehow manage to be pretty gentle to the poor imbiber's tongue. It's more sweet in the start, but features a bitter dry finish that tingles the bitter region of the taste buds. Best of all, that whopping 10% ABV is undetectable aside from the slight warmth it provides to the back of the throat.

M & D: Medium-full bodied, thick & rich, and syrupy smooth. Drinkability is great, but that ABV is no joke!

Notes: This just may be the best DIPA that I've ever had the pleasure of drinking! I would stock up on this if I were in their distribution channels, for sure. In terms of DIPA's, they don't get any better than this. The sheer, unbridled brilliance that Hopslam delivers is absolutely amazing! Highly recommended

02-23-2009 08:11:55 | More by sweetbrew82
Evan87

Wisconsin

4.88/5  rDev +8.7%

Had this on cask at Uncle Mike's. Thanks Bells!

I love this beer on draft but I am in love with this beer on cask.

A - This beer is probably a little prettier on draft, but still a great lookig beer on cask.

S - Smells sweet and citrusy. Love the smell.

T - The cask version seems to mute the hop twang a little, but also hides the alcohol as well. Maybe hides it a little too much, if you know what I mean.

M - Smooth and creamy.

D - This exceptional beer was a delight to have on cask. I could drink this beer every day, but definitely not all day.

02-23-2009 00:03:20 | More by Evan87
schroederm

4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

In a snifter:

Opaque pleasant golden honey color. The smell has tons of pineapple, some grapefruit, and a touch of cranberry. Taste starts with honey follows up with lemon and pineapple. The bitter's a little lower than I had hoped for. Not hot, but alcohol is there. Excellent body. Fine carb, well done. I seriously want more. Only thing against it is a slight taste of alcohol.

Overall: This is my favorite IPA at the moment. The pineapple is really awesome. I would do anything to see Bell's distribute to MA.

02-22-2009 22:08:12 | More by schroederm
schellsbeer

3.25/5  rDev -27.6%

Thanks to my friend Jim for buying me a pint at WB's this evening. Nice to find on tap here in our home town. Now, to the review...

A - Very nice. Pale yellow in coloring with a nice head.

S - Fruit and hops. Sweet smelling. A nice IPA but not the best.

T - Fruit with hops. I like a bitter IPA and this was a sweet IPA. Double IPA???? Not sure. According to BA, it is a double IPA but only because of the ABV was very high...not because of the flavor. Fruit dominates this beer. Bananas and Pineapple are very noticeable. Too much so if you ask me. Also, hops was not up to par. Hop Slam....not for me. More like a hop spittle. Was on tap so it was ultra fresh but not something that was over the top like most Imperial IPAs for sure.

M - Clean and refreshing but other than that....just good in my book.

D - High ABV and not that much hops, just average for me. Also, since this is only brewed on a seasonal level, not that impressive. I have had better. Sorry.

Now, before I get slammed from other BAs, remember this review is my opinion and not any one elses. I love bitter IPAs and this was not that bitter. Good at best. Will I seek this out? No, especially since I can get better IPAs at a much lower price. Just average in my book.

02-22-2009 05:32:58 | More by schellsbeer
thehand

Oklahoma

4.3/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into Samuel Smith pint glass. Bright clear golden orange, 1" frothy bone white head. Sticky spotty lacing remains along with a thick foamy cap of head. Aroma is sweet floral honey, earthy piney orangey citrus. Taste is outstanding, sweet floral honey up front, bitter grapefruit in the back, long bitter finish. Mouthfeel is smooth and full, finish is long and astringent. A glorious beer. So easy to drink if you love the hops.

02-22-2009 05:10:54 | More by thehand
Brewno8it

Missouri

4.97/5  rDev +10.7%

I have only had this wonderful beer on tap. Not complaining, the best way to get it if you can.
The beer was poured in a classic Imperial Pint glass. The color was golden amber with a hint of a cherry color hue with a thick creamy head that clings to the glassware.

The smell is what I would describe as addictive. I wish I could find a candle to burn that smells as hoppy and complex as this brew. The beer smells of citrus and grapefruit with a nice whiff of sweetness.

The taste is so balanced of grapefruit, citrus, and honey. It has deep body and malty balance to blend with the herbal overtones.

The mouth has a feel of something so flavorful, balanced, and lightly carbonated that you want to hold it there forever. But swallowing does allow you to have a second pint!

It is hard to believe that this brew can be 10.2% alcohol. It is masterfully balanced and easy to drink. The aroma and feel are so wonderful that you can keep drinking. BE CAREFUL, it will sneak up on you because the alcohol is so "disguised" by the artistry within.

02-22-2009 03:34:02 | More by Brewno8it
bashiba

Iowa

4.08/5  rDev -9.1%

This beer poured a nice clear orange color with a thick and creamy long lasting off white head that left some nice sticky lacing.

I greatly enjoyed the smell with a nice bit of lemony hops, white pepper, and some buiscuity malt.

The flavor had a mild sweet biscuit and bready malt body with hints of pepper and alcohol finishing with a lightly minty and lemony bit of hops.

The mouthfeel was suprisingly thin for a beer of this strength and lacked a bit in the oily viscous quality that usually comes with a good double IPA.

I liked the flavor and found it extremely balanced and drinkable for such a big IPA, but I thought it was a bit underwhelming overall. I expected it to have a bit more pop to it and definitely more hops. Very good, but I was expecting exceptional, and especially a bit underwhelming with the very high price.

02-22-2009 00:07:24 | More by bashiba
puggy211

Tennessee

4.95/5  rDev +10.2%

WOW BEER!....Still just smelling this beer anfet 3min..can't get enough....nice deep gold..white head...WOW wonderful hop nose..grafefruit...citrus oohh so good...WOW again..soooo goood nice mouth feel med carbionation...wonderfull balance...WOW nice linger of hops but not overpowering...I could drink this all day!...Thanks Megaman2006...
I am gonna have to get this again!

02-21-2009 22:20:27 | More by puggy211
Fearnofish

4.93/5  rDev +9.8%

Had both bottle and on tap
poured light amber in color with a thick creamy head that stuck around for a long time

smelled of citrus almost grapefruit with a bit of sweetness

Even though it a strong grapefruit taste, you could still detect a hint of honey

mouthfeel was excellent with a light carbonation and a very clean finish. hop flavor does not linger

This ale is almost too drinkable because at 10% abv it's easy to get slammed

Found the draft to be better than the bottle because it seemed a little smoother. you would never know it was a 10%er

02-21-2009 21:39:04 | More by Fearnofish
tehstevo

4.43/5  rDev -1.3%

Was lucky enough to walk into my local distributor to be greeted by the 2 cases they would receive this year. Easy decision to pick one up. Took it home and poured into a glass after letting it warm on top the kegerator for 20min or so...

A - Poured a copper, not quite bronze color with a small head (even with a vigorous pour). Almost no lacing, which was surprising.

S - Smells of delicious hops with a little citrus and a hint of pine. I thought it hid the 10% ABV well (though I was feeling it).

T - Delicious. A great citrus-hop flavor.

M - Fairly light beer with light carbonation. Lightly coated my mouth with its delicious flavor.

D - Save for the high ABV, this could nearly be a session beer for me. Though it would be a real short session...

Fantastic beer. A real pleasure to sample (and for my first review)!

02-21-2009 01:27:48 | More by tehstevo
armock

4.6/5  rDev +2.4%

Thanks tjmodica for hooking me up with a bottle of this stuff.

A - Poured a copper color with an off white head that leaves lacing behing

S - Is a nose full of hops with a citrus and pine scent

T - Its like drinking hop juice excellent hops up front citrusy has a slightly sweet finish

M - This beer has a creamy smooth body with light carbonation to it

D - I didn't know this was a 10% abv beer until I found it here to review I don't think I've had a beer with this abv that was so drinkable I could have easily drank a few bottles without knowing better if I had them definitely worth seeking out to try

02-19-2009 22:14:56 | More by armock
Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.