Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 1,882
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.

(Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
4.93/5  rDev +9.8%

A- Pours beautiful golden/amber color with a thin off-white head that leaves great lacing.

S- Strong piney hop nose. Some delicate floral and citrus (mostly grapefruit, orange peel, and lemon). There is the slightest bit of honey detectable.

T- Wonderful hop flavor initially with a strong pine and grapefruit taste. There is a sweet malt honey flavor that attempts to balance the bitter hops. The hops eventually win that battle but the sweetness gave a respectable effort.

M- Medium bodied and crisp. Way more balanced in terms of bitter hops/sweet malt than I expected.

D- Superbly drinkable, could easily become one of my favorites.

Notes: This batch was brewed about 4 months ago (Jan 09). I have heard that the hops fade quickly which may be why I perceived a much better balance of malt and hops than expected. If this is the case, I will most certainly be looking to try a fresh one next time around.

ReReviewed on Jan 10, 2010 with a fresh (2 week old) batch:

A- Slightly hazy orange amber pour with plenty of white lace - 4.5

S- Massive aroma of tropical citrus hops and honey - 5.0

T- Huge hop explosion with flavors of pineapple, orange, ruby red grapefruit, kiwi, lemon, and passion fruit. A prominent yet delicate honey flavor helps out for a balanced finish but this baby is all hops. Absolutely amazing - 5.0

M- Medium bodied with great carbonation. The alcohol is hidden incredibly well - 4.5

D- One of the easiest drinking IPA/DIPAs out there. Huge hop flavor with the alcohol being exceptionally well hidden. This beer was great with a few months on it, but it is absolutely phenomenal fresh. Buy and drink immediately - 5.0

projectflam86, Apr 20, 2009
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours clear gold, with a head that dissipates quickly, retaining a thin layer of foam and leaving a little lacing on the glass. Smells of sweet hay and citrus, with some brown sugar sweetness. A concentrated grassy hopslam it is. It has a strong citrus, I'd say grapefruit flavor, yet a balanced sweetness level. Most of the taste comes out at the beginning. Though concentrated, it is a well balanced beer. The mouthfeel is light and refreshing. This is one to make you sad when the glass is empty and definitely glad to have another.

Beerenauslese, Apr 18, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -8.7%

This is one appropriately named beer. Pours a hazy golden-orange and the nose is, well, hoppy. Lots of citrus right in your face. This is one you can smell across the room. In my book, that's a good thing.

The taste has a lot to live up to after that smell and, for the most part, it does. It's definitely typical of your citrus-y IPA with, if anything, a bit more fruity than I expected.

I split a sixer with a friend and they went quickly, but it's definitely a palate-cleanser. Not sure I could transition from this to something else, but hey, it's good enough that you don't need to.

Larrytown, Apr 17, 2009
4.38/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured into a Maudite Snifter yielded a Honey color with a tall white head that dissapated to a thin layer rather quickly.
Every variation of pineapple is obvious. By this I mean, Fresh pineapple, canned pineapple, candied pineapple etc. Honey is also a dominating factor. Alcohol is also very prominent.
Once again I feel as though i a drinking a less acidic high alcohol pineapple juice. Hops are strong but balanced by a honey/ caramel bready malt backbone extremely well. Alcohol is the only factor preventing a perfect 5.
Syrupy thick, well carbonated and an extremely full body.
A fantastic Double IPA. The only downside to this beer is the high abv. I understand its a double but it is a little overwhelming at times. But none the less a fantastic beer.

alovesupreme, Apr 16, 2009
4.14/5  rDev -7.8%

Pours nicely with an ok amount of head. It stayed around for a while and laced well. The rest of the beer didn't lace too much. Smell was intoxicating. The only imperial IPA with more citrus and robust hops smell that I have had is Pliny. After the amazing smell that didn't hold back a bit I was expecting more from the taste. I have a bottle back from an early January batch and i have heard that the taste is better with freshness on this one. Citrus fruits, hops, and honey dominate the beginning and middle but the end of the flavor is pretty big on malt and alcohol. It's pretty good on mouthfeel but it's a little light. i will definitely try this one again next time it is available.

Ohiovania, Apr 16, 2009
3.83/5  rDev -14.7%

Clear-amber/orange topped with two fingers of off-white head that hangs around forever. Smells like citrus-hop-candy: sweet, caramel, citrus, bright, honey. Flavor is too sweet for me. Balance is close to what it should be, but sweetness of malt (honey?) is too much for the style. Hops are great both in aroma and flavor. Fairly light feel for the style. Not too cloying or syrupy. Easy-to-drink for such a big beer, but sweetness prohibits slows things down.

kdmorse, Apr 15, 2009
4.22/5  rDev -6%

A: Pours a hazy yellowish amber color. Provides a small white foam head with decent lazy.

S: The name is hopslam and the hops are predominant (shocking, I know). Lots of citrus hops with just a slight hint of malts. Complex and appealing.

T: A great combination of hops and malts. Hops are most prevalent, but there is a smooth sweet malt kick as well. Blended well together.

M: Leaves a nice dry hoppy finish on the palate.

D: A really high ABV keeps this from being a session obviously, but 2-3 in a sitting is more than doable.

IronCitySteve, Apr 15, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -8%

Batch 8907 Bottled on January 6, 2009

Its a little over 3 months old but still my first time with this beer. Pored from a 12oz bottle into a Pilsner Glass.

Hazy orange, with sediment floating wildly. Minimal head.

Smell is citrusy and hoppy.

Taste, subdued hops. Grapefruit. Nice balance.

Mouthfeel, well with the sediment its not exactly A+, but could be my fault from an over excited pour. Laces the tongue with an almost sour taste.

Drink, decent. I can only imagine how much better this would be fresh, but until than, this is what I have to go off of. I'm not going to knock it for not being fresh but I most likely won't give it a score it deserves. Or hell, this could be how it normally tastes.

Anyone I would drink this again but prefer a fresher bottle.

crazeguy, Apr 15, 2009
4.25/5  rDev -5.3%

An overwhelming smell of hops. Almost like a garden's fresh topsoil. Smells like spring flowers.
Pours deep ruby red with golden edges. Pure white head is beautiful.
It tastes like eating a rose garden, in a good way.
Biting bitter taste invades my taste buds.
It's delicious but not what I would categorically call very drinkable.

ThaBobfather, Apr 13, 2009
4.78/5  rDev +6.5%

My favorite double IPA to date. Pours a nice amber color, smell sensation with citrusy hops and some I couldn't describe. Just delicious. The hop taste is just perfect. I was glad I decided to split this six pack because the alcohol was so well disguised I would have been in a world of hurt later. My friend is not really a beeradvocate and he loved it. Must try!

flexinwext, Apr 12, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -8%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass..Pours a nice coppery hue. Aroma is overwhelmingly pleasant, with some citrus, piney, and earthy notes pleasant. I'm guessing several types of hops were used here, with a surplus being put on the aromatic hops. The flavor is extremely balanced well. The hop flavor profile seems to lean on the citric side, and it isn't nearly as imposing as I anticipated, which is not a bad thing here. I wouldn't guess this was any where near 10%. The malt profile really comes through well, and I the taste of honey works rather nicely. All in all, definitely on my top 5 IPA's because of its balance.

hophead247, Apr 09, 2009
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured a nice orange/golden color, like the color of brandy. Had a nice white head which retained good lacing at first but subsides as the beer settles.

The first smell I got was hops, then citrus and pineapple ,and the taste was the same. The first flavor is the citrusy hops, then a little sweetness and then the alcohol. Although it's a strong 10% the alcohol blends right in and the beer is quite deceiving in this respect. Lastly the hop bitterness lingers, but in a good way. The feel in the mouth is oily and the carbonation is quite noticeable but not overbearing. All in all a great balance of all the flavors. I've been drinking a lot of IPAs lately and this one lives up to its reputation. I think I like the Stone IPA a bit better though, however this one is definitely in a class above the rest.

greenjeff4141, Apr 09, 2009
4.2/5  rDev -6.5%

I received this bottle from Bruisin Ales in North Carolina, great transaction, I will definitely be doing more business with them in the future.

The beer pours a great amber/orange color with that nice IPA glow. There is a small white head that dissipates quickly but the lacing is thick and slow to move down the sides of the glass.

The smell is very sweet, citrus hops and honey for sure. There is a little pine and floral hops as you investigate further, but the citrus and honey dominate.

The beer tastes exactly how it smells, bitter citrus hops burst over the tongue and the honey follows it up for a very nice balance. The honey sweetness adds a nice balance and masks the 10% abv very nicely.

The beer is carbonated perfectly and feels great, nice and smooth, not too much alcohol flavor present making it very drinkable. I have been drinking the Harpoon Leviathon lately but this beer blows it out of the water. Similar abv, but the Leviathon doesn't hide it well at all, whereas the Hopslam is something that I could drink all day. Great beer!

rpstevens, Apr 08, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

Reviewed from Notes. Tasted 2/26/09 - Thanks to fellow BA Speakorspasm for hooking me up with this one.

This beer poured a bright, mildly opaque orange/tan body with a nice sized white head. The head was surprisingly large for a 10% ABV monster.

Nose is thick and present with resin, citrus hops but with an overall honey like sweetness. Touches of caramel, some other sweet notes and even some pine needles. There's a nice herbal flowery smell as well. A really nice nose.

Taste is very thick with an immediate big hit of BOTH strong resin bitter citrus hops and a huge flavor of honey that work PERFECTLY together. The honey is a nice natural honeycomb type flavor and gives this beer a honey slick syrupy mouthfeel. Nice strong bitter citrus, pine, potpourri, resin hop flavor. Extremely bitter from start to finish. The honey just works so perfectly. The 10% is hidden at first, but really sneaks up on you.

Wow!!! What a cool beer. Honey and hops? Who would have known? It works like chocolate and peanut butter. So amazing. Seriously one of the best beers I've had in a while.

taez555, Apr 08, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +1.3%

This beer looks great, with a burnt orange color and a nice, big beige head. It's aroma is phenomenal. It is loaded with floral and citrus hops. The flavor is much the same. Such a bold, spicy and citrus hop flavor. There is also some good malt sweetness and you can definitely taste the honey that was added. It is sufficiently bitter for a DIPA. It has a full flavor and medium body. I don't crave more than one of these beers in one sitting but it is not out of the realm of possibilities since it is so good overall.

BeenJammin, Apr 08, 2009
3.88/5  rDev -13.6%

I received this bottle in a trade from alleykatking. Thanks Josh!
Poured into my standard pint.

Pale orange, transparent body. 2 finger, pale effervescent head.

Smells very floral and piney. I only catch a whiff of the honey, but the hops dominate.

Tastes first of sweet malts followed by the hop bite with a good bitter followup.

The feel is nice and light with a good bit of carbonation.

The twelve ounces went down incredibly easy. I couldn't believe how quick I drank the one bottle without even trying.

I previously had this beer from another trade but didn't review it because it had been in the bottle too long. I'm glad I waited for a fresher sample because age tends to make the honey dominate and it becomes a hoppy mead. If had fresh enough, the honey really helps to lighten the body and accentuate the hops. Very well done.

kinnaird, Apr 07, 2009
4.28/5  rDev -4.7%

12 ounce bottle poured into a Duvel Tulip.

A: Pours a copper color with a slight haze. Leaves a small head with a nice lacing in the glass.

S: Unbelievable smell. No doubt the hoppiness is there. Strong smell of fruits and herbals. Something tropical, citricy and slightly sour (but pleasant).

T: Absolutely lives up to its name. You can really taste the earthy hops, the citrus and tropical notes, with a hint of a nuttiness. Tastes complex but very smooth and the strong alcohol does not overwhelm the taste. Typical of a good hoppy IPA it leaves an unbelievable aftertaste after each sip getting better and better.

M&D: It really coats your mouth with a smooth, oily like feel. Excellent feeling as its not that carbonated and really just right. For an imperial IPA it is very drinkable. You could easily drink several but the strong alcohol could sneak up on you if you are not careful. Easily that good.

An excellent version of the imperial IPA. A little pricy $15.99 for a 6-pack but well worth the price if you like a hoppy IPA. Highly recommended. Like many of the other Bell products...all really well brewed.

spycow, Apr 05, 2009

Huge thanks to johnmichaelsen for this one. 12 oz bottle poured into my Delirium snifter, Hopslam is a chill hazed pale orange with creamy off-white head

Smell is bright and resinous floral hops and sweet malt and honey. Grapefruit hops as well.

Taste is hoppy and sweet, very rich. Pretty decent hop flavor without a ton of bitterness, more spicy, and really heavy on the malt and honey (which almost seems like it was added after fermentation). I'd prefer a more floral then spicy pine hop flavor, overall it's a bit spicy for my taste in the style, a bit to rich as well. Oddly though, it seemed to get even more pungent as it warmed from fridge temp, and really started to grow on me. A nice beer that I'm glad I got to try, thanks again John!

Mouthfeel is oily, chewy and dry.

Drinkability is pretty good, it's a hefty, malt forward DIPA, but the hops are pungent no doubt. The high ABV is well hidden, mainly just coming through in the dry, spicy finish. At the end of the day it just wasn't quite my taste in the style, but I enjoyed it, more so when it warmed up a ton (which isn't normally the case with DIPAs for me).

ccrida, Apr 05, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +6.9%

Appearance: A deep golden color with light carbonation rising from the bottom. A medium white foamy head stuck around the edges for some time.

Smell: The hopp aroma hits me first followed by sweet grapefruit and a light malt.

Taste: Very complex. It begins like a grapefruit peel, a little bitter and earthy. It then gets more sweet but the slight sour taste lingers. The aftertaste stays with you for some time. Awesome.

Mouthfeel/drinkability: The carbonation and body are light. One of my favorite beers ever.

meatmallet, Apr 05, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +7.6%

No freakin' kidding!! I can see why it is so loved. This stuff is amazing. The tag is never a cheap one, but I can see a budding romance starting with this stuff.
Out of the bottle, poured into my pint glass... the color is just lovely. A somewhat hazy soft orange, and then a nice tall fluffy head. As you bring it to your nose, scents of citrus are apparent, and then warm summer day - the exact smell of a warm summer day. The hay, mown grass, warmth. The fluffy head retreats to some appreciable lacing. First sip.... Essence of grass, hay, lemons!!! LEMONS!!! and grapefruit. As you swish, and then swallow, more grass comes through, hitting you in the back of the throat with one helluva bitter swallow. That is what brings you back for another swig. I don't taste honey as much as perceive it.
The mouthfeel is medium-bodied, rich and slightly oily on the tongue - it is silky. No real carbonation to speak of.
This evokes summertime fun, with is grassy, citrusy explosion. The ABV is a shocker: You don't taste it. It goes down lovely and smooth.

Livelaughlovep, Apr 05, 2009
4.45/5  rDev -0.9%

A - Amber with a huge head that retained quite well and laced as it receded

S - Hop notes with some floralness

T - Distinct hop presence with a slight malt accompaniment. Hops are a mix of grapefruit and other bitter florals.

M - Perfect carbonation and mouthfeel.

D - I could easily pound these all night. Not an absolute hop bomb, but great hop presence. After having Two Hearted first, I was not expecting much, but this beer is exponentially better and completely different.

Martin2D, Apr 04, 2009
4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

A--Pours a golden/copper color with a slight bit of murkiness. Near white head was about a finger tall, although I don't think I gave it a very good pour. It recedes but doesn't disappear. Good lacing down the glass.

S--Simply amazing. Pineapple is the dominant scent, but there really is a whole mixed bag of tropical fruits present. With a tad bit of warmth pine notes begin to come through.

T--Very tropical hop profile. Not overwhelming yet still very bitter and flavorful. A bit of honey sweetness.

M--So oily that it glides down the throat and coats the whole mouth in the process. After it is swallowed a piney bitterness charges back up the throat and if you are lucky you get to have the most amazing hop burps!!

D--How in the hell this is 10% ABV I have no clue. Because of the high alcohol content I would have to force myself to drink no more than 2 at a time. 3 if its all I'm having. I could drink it all night based on the beer itself though.

Hopslam is unquestionably a world class beer and one of my favorites. It would make a great introduction to DIPA's as well since it is so easy drinking.

alcstradamus, Apr 03, 2009
4.93/5  rDev +9.8%

Served in a tulip from a 12oz. bottle.

A: Nice amber/orange color. I got about one finger of head but nice lacing remained.

S: Unbelievable nose on this one! Hints of pineapple and other fruits. I've never smelled anything quite like this.

T: If you love hops, and I mean LOVE hops, this is the beer for you! This is one of the most complex brews I've ever tasted. Very well balanced.

M: This is a little on the sweet side but just barely. There is a slight hint of alcohol at the finish but nothing to worry about. Nothing unusual for this style.

D: It would be very easy to pound several of these very quickly but at this price, they are strictly a treat for me. And yes, it's that good.

Overall: This may be my favorite beer right now, overtaking Surly Coffee Bender. Hopslam is drying up around my area so I may have to find a sixer to hide away for a rainy day. Excellent!

badmoon, Apr 03, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +3.6%

A: Pours a golden amber, I only got about a pinkys worth of head, but there's some pretty decent lacing. This beer has high turbidity.

S: All I pick up is some delicious smelling piney hops. I also get a hint of orange, but I don't pick up any malt. Just what I'm looking for in a DIPA.

T: Really hoppy start, I mean, REALLY HOPPY. I get a lot of the orange and pines I smelled, but there was one flavor I picked up that was kind of surprising. I got a hint of Pineapple which I've never tasted before in a beer. After the initial, hop slam, I get a faint smooth burn of alcohol, and it finishes with a strong malty finish. This is probably the finest beer I've ever tasted.

M: Pretty standard for an IPA/DIPA. Nothing surprising about the mouthfeel.

D: I couldn't see me drinking a lot of these, but at 10% ABV, I probably wouldn't need to.

Overall: This beer is rocks, I strongly suggest picking up a sixer.

DarbyOGill, Apr 03, 2009
4.85/5  rDev +8%

Poured from a bottle into a normal pint glass the head is great and lasts, two fingers. The color is hazy and a yellow orangish- golden.

The smell is of strong hops and grapefruit. Very citrusy, I couldn't wait to drink it.

The alcohol is very present but goes down easy with the hops falvor followed by that citrus. A great taste.

Its a great beer from a great brewery but its 10% so more than one would be quite a haul.

iuhoosier336, Apr 01, 2009
Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.