Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 1,854
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.

(Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
Yesac

Georgia

3.93/5  rDev -12.5%

A - Slightly cloudy amber/orange color Small bright white head. Lacing on the glass.

S - Big hop skunky bitter smell.. very sweet

T - This thing is all hops, but with a tart sweetness. If I didn't already know it had honey.. I'd say its a sappy glucose type sweetness. Bitter/tart overall. The 10% ABV is hidden fairly well.. just a slight sting from it at the end.. it meshes well with the bitter hops.

M - Thick bodied, low carbonation.

D - The tartness can really turn people off of this. I'm not a big of it myself, but the sweetness and hops make up for it.

03-19-2009 23:31:41 | More by Yesac
dwarvenspirits

3.9/5  rDev -13.1%

Pours a nice orange-hue with a decent white head. Retention is poor but it laces well. Smells like spicy, citrus, lemon rid or something. The aroma isn't very powerful and I'm not sure if it's because the beer is a couple months old. Definitely has a decent hop bitterness bite, lacks in hop flavor. It's there but I'm not very impressed with it. The alcohol is subdued, which is nice and it has a nice mouthfeel and not too heavy in body. There is a balance of some malt sweetness there that helps out.

Overall, I think it's a hyped up beer and I definitely don't think it's worth the money. I also definitely don't think it lives up to the name "Hopslam".

03-19-2009 21:04:10 | More by dwarvenspirits
squaremile

Oregon

4.2/5  rDev -6.5%

Good amber color that even had my Kalik/Corona drinking dad impressed and wanting to try it. This is definitely a hop-head beer, so I am quite happy with it. However, I think that although Hopslam gets massive hype (and is deserving of most of it) I can't escape the thought that there are a ton of west coast IPAs in this class, most notably similar is Green Flash West Coast. Still a great beer, easy drinking for the ABV, and satisfies my hop cravings.

03-19-2009 15:49:17 | More by squaremile
popery

4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

A huge thank you to redbird for this beer.

A: Light amber liquid. Good white head with lots of lacing.

S: Wow. It's a tangerine-grapefruit explosion, sweet and spicy. There's a very slight alcoholic hit in the end, but beer is an alcoholic drink and I don't think the alcohol always needs to be completely hidden. The caramel malt really shines. This one is definitely hop nectar.

T: Delicious caramel malt and honey flavors provide an excellent backdrop for the huge hop flavor. The sweetness is there, and there's very, very little alcohol in the flavor for a 10% abv beer. The hop flavors are tangerine, grapefruit and a bit of wildflowers.

M: The mouthfeel is excellent. It's smooth and syrupy in a good way. It has that great hop oiliness of big DIPAs.

D: It's an easy to drink 10% abv, but it's still a big beer and you feel that to some extent. On the other hand, it has a wonderful and complex flavor that makes you want to keep coming back for more.

03-19-2009 04:50:28 | More by popery
Yetiman420

4.05/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured into a tall highball style glass provided by my hotel where I am consuming this in my room.

A wonderful hazy copper color with a fluffy white had that subsides leaving a single horizontal rim with vertical spokes. A very unusually consistent pattern

The aroma is best described as sweet. I'm pulling for some of that citrus/pine/floral/grapefruit that I look for in hop bombs but all I come up with is sweetness. A little swirling and I get a touch of malt and fruit.

A slight burn on the finish from the 10% but overall a very easy drinking and hop flavorful beer.

03-18-2009 04:26:23 | More by Yetiman420
jdklks

Nevada

4.97/5  rDev +10.7%

Pours dark golden bordering on amber with an off white head that has great retention and laces the glass beautifully. Smells majorly of HOPS! Sweet honey, piney and citrusy fruitiness compliment the hop bitterness. Pineapple and grapefruit come to mind.

T- This beer is damn good! i didn't think it would live up to the hype but it did! very hoppy up front, but it is nicely balanced at the finish with a sweet malty/honey flavor. citrus and piney hops, along with pineapple and grapefruit dominate the flavors throughout, but their is also a hint of orange and tangerine sweetness in the aftertaste. The alcohol is definitely perceivable. the aftertaste is sweet sweet goodness, and definitely keeps you sipping!

this is a full bodied ipa, and it is perfectly carbonated and smooth going down. i could drink this stuff all night, but i would rather drink it all day in the beautiful sun next to a beautiful garden... that is what this beer reminds me of.

03-18-2009 02:57:08 | More by jdklks
rasta16ry

4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

Most of the reviews here seem to agree that HopSlam is awesome, but I'm going to review this anyway so I can remember it since I can't get my hands on this that often.

I cooled this off and then poured it in one of those Sam Adams bubble glasses. It had a nice light head and really looked like a great beer sitting in the glass. The smell was very hoppy and had a little alcohol to it, and not much sweetness at all. Maybe a little fruit in there as well. With the picture on the bottle, I was pretty much ready to have my face hopped off (!).

Well it is definitely good. I think that maybe it is a great beer. The hops hit you nicely at the beginning, followed by some further bitterness and a little kind of alcohol taste, and at the end I get some more hops and even a little sweetness. There is also some fruit in the taste, but I didn't really sense any pine but some other sweetness. It's not really a malty kind of sweetness but a bit of honey, like the description says, and I think it really compliments the hops quite well.

This is not an overly complex beer, but it is executed I think almost as well as it could be. I really super enjoyed drinking this; I had it with homemade linguine and white clam sauce, and it paired really well (despite the fact that I know nothing about pairing). It is crisp, with a good body but not heavy, a nice palate transition and overall just a great feel to it.

03-17-2009 12:47:35 | More by rasta16ry
jminsc76

2.73/5  rDev -39.2%

And that friend alex3891 is referring to (i.e., me) gives the HopSlam a comparable rating and review.

It pours a very impressive, large head - thick and bubbly - giving one the impression they may be about to experience something spectacular. The hops swirl and dance as you pour. Excellent lacing down the glass as the head dissipates. The body is a slightly reddish orange and quite attractive. The carbonation dances as you open it up.

The taste anticipation is heightened as the smell is fresh and hoppy, with hints of vanilla and butterscotch. Malty aromas as well. But then I taste it, and, well, not much. As I continue sipping, I hope more will come through than the slightly hoppy and malty flavors that match the characteristics of the aromas, but not the aromas' intensity. It's hoppy, it's bitter, but there isn't a lot of oomph! to it. The taste exists, and that's all it does. There's no punch-in-the mouth the way an Imperial IPA typically delivers.

The sight is exceptional, the smell is as well, but the taste is, well, nada mucho. The only thing truly redeeming this beer from total disappointment is how I feel from its 10% ABV. That makes me rather feel rather benign. And similar to alex3891's review, I too am trying to understand how this beer received the ratings it did. Did he and I drink a bad batch or something?

03-17-2009 00:27:03 | More by jminsc76
ommegoose

4.05/5  rDev -9.8%

Batch 8912, which puts this at roughly 2 months.

Orange, some haze. Busy carbonation. Half inch of head sticking at the top. Even sheets of lace. Well done.

Bright citrus aroma. Sweet, with light fruit. A lot of hops, but they don't have their edge right now.

Very citric flavor. Sweet at first with lots of fruitiness, sweet grapefruit, pineapple. Decently malty. Bitterness and pure hop flavor seem quite a bit muted already. It's not puckering in the slightest. Not what I would call a hop bomb at this point. Piney notes not to be found. Herbal/grassy aftertaste. Just a little dryness in the finish, along with what must be honey. Alcohol is masked decently. You won't mistake it for a sessionable brew, as it doesn't take long to hit home. Had another bottle, and found that the warmer served, the better.

A bit tingly, but pretty smooth. Nice.

Well, this is good and all. The hype was so overwhelming, though. For a beer that costs this much, I feel like I should be getting something a bit more special. 90 Minute is a better value, and a better beer, imo. If I need to get this within a few weeks to fully enjoy it, that kind of sucks. Can I drink it? For sure. I'm underwhelmed, but in the minority. I don't doubt that it was better fresher, but it sure seems to have aged poorly.

03-16-2009 05:12:13 | More by ommegoose
thebarnesbomb

Indiana

4.83/5  rDev +7.6%

One of the best beers I have ever had the privilege of partaking. A stunning offering from Bell's- citrusy, pineapple, honey. Brilliant, blissful, simply put - Beer at its best. Definitely a good choice on tap, if available. Brings out the aromas and flavors that much more. Perfection!

03-16-2009 03:36:01 | More by thebarnesbomb
BarrelO

4.38/5  rDev -2.4%

12oz bottle poured into, appropriately enough, a Bell's pint glass. Batch 8949, packaged on February 9.

A: Pours brownish orange. A vigorous pour results in a 1.5 finger length head that dissipates pretty quickly. Plenty of lacing.

S: Like a tropical fruit salad. Pineapples, mangos, and grapefruits. Almost hypnotizing. Bell's really ought to bottle this fragrance and sell it by the ounce.

T: The front, middle, and back are dominated by extreme grapefruit juice-like hop bitterness. Leaves a grassy, piney aftertaste. Malt/honey sweetness is faintly detectable.

M: Quite syrupy, but not enough to hinder its quaffability.

D: This is 10%? Really? It sure doesn't feel like it. Anyway, this is undoubtedly a hophead's delight. I really wish Bell's would make this a year-round offering.

03-16-2009 03:06:47 | More by BarrelO
CrellMoset

4.13/5  rDev -8%

On tap at Beer Run. Always nice to try a beer like this on tap and see how it stacks up to the bottled version. Served in a 10 oz. brandy snifter.

Appearance: Pours a clear, crisp, golden orange bodied brew, capped by a slightly off-white, foamy head of above-average retention. Fine bubbled and sparse carbonation is evident if you hold it up to the light, creeping slowly upwards. The lacing is similarly impressive, spongy and sheetlike, and very attractive.

Aroma: Huge hops, but did you expect anything different? Enormous, juicy pineapple and ruby red grapefruit notes, backed up by gigantic spicy pine, hints of mint and earthy herbal notes, and a sweet, earthy, syrupy malt backbone. The honey definitely comes through, complete with hints of a clove-like spice. A faint kiss of darker roast in the finish.

Taste: Moderate to moderately-heavy bitterness, in case you were wondering what 100+ IBUs tastes like. A beautiful spicy pine and lightly tart grapefruit zest combo, honey-like and pale malts, a faint bready, doughy roast, orange zest, and other miscellaneous tart notes round it out. Delicious.

Mouthfeel: Not as thick as it probably should be, given that it's made with enough honey and malt to back up the hop schedule while still being drinkable. There's plenty of prickly, light effervescence, too, resulting in a slightly crisp but slightly uneven mouth.

Drinkability: At 10.0% abv, this one's (of course) not one to take lightly, but no need for me to tell you that - the flavors make that known easily enough. One of the classics, and deservedly - it's a tasty, aromatic hop monster, surprisingly quaffable, gorgeous, and a delight to the senses. Try it.

03-16-2009 01:05:30 | More by CrellMoset
Genghis22

4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

My first review! Got ahold of this in a cross-country trade, thanks Stephen!

A - Pours a nice golden color with a thin creamy white head. The head dissapates fairly quickly. There is medium carbonation.

S - Smells like a ripe grapefruit. Very hoppy but subtle hints of citrus sweetness, not the typical pine smell of a west coast IPA.

T - Very balanced. The hops are ever-present but letting the beer sit in your mouth a bit, you notice that the malt is there as well. There is no bitter aftertaste, finishes clean and slightly sweet.

M - Just the right amount of carbonation for a beer this big. It is thick, borderline syrupy.

D - Extremely drinkable. After hearing so much about this beer on BA I was afraid it might have been over-hyped. It is a great beer worth seeking out, I would trade for/ buy this again.

03-15-2009 23:40:14 | More by Genghis22
JEngler

4.65/5  rDev +3.6%

Hopslam has a slammin' hoppy and piney aroma that smelled very sweet and fresh. I poured from a chilled bottle to glass which left a nice 1 ½ head. The color was a slight cloudy golden honey. It had a very complex body full of hoppy flavor with a twist of sweetness. Despite all the hop flavor and aroma it was not too overwhelming. If you are a hop fan then you will thoroughly enjoy this beer, as I did.

03-15-2009 18:24:19 | More by JEngler
Wheelinb

Missouri

4.22/5  rDev -6%

Now were talking. This is my kind of beer. It had a very rich color and I could immediately smell the hops when it was placed before me. For having such a high ABV I was concerned this might be sweeter than I like, but the people at Bell's have loaded up on the hop goodness!

03-15-2009 13:37:32 | More by Wheelinb
Vonerichs

4.55/5  rDev +1.3%

This was aggressively poured into a tulip. Nice golden color with two finger head that dissipates quickly, leaving a light lacing. Halfway through the head was almost completely gone along with the lacing. The final product looked like a glass of honey.

Wow... extremely pungent floral hops are the predominant scent. There is a slight sweetness. The hops are mouth-watering.

The taste is equally impressive. Citrus bitterness and floral hops are kept in check with sweet honey. It's a great balance of over-the-top hops without being overly bitter.

The mouthfeel is a medium body and chewy. There's a slightly bitter grapefruit finish. It leaves the palate feeling clean and fresh, but I definitely won't be tasting anything else tonight.

There is a slight burn of alcohol, but who can blame them with this weighing in at 10%. For such a high abv it's hidden well enough and considering that, it's drinkability is impressive.

Simply put, this is a phenomenal example of an IIPA. Honestly, I can only think of one IIPA that I'd put ahead of this, but I'm not going to mention it's name out of respect for the Hopslam. Well done.

03-14-2009 02:11:00 | More by Vonerichs
Florida9

4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured into a pint glass

Deep golden color.

About 2 fingers of thick head, that dissipated to about 1/4 inch in the matter of about 2 minutes. However, it left a good coating of lacing on the side of the glass.

Aroma is all hops. Very fragrant. Floral with the scent of apricots.

The taste is of aggressive, flowery hops. Finishes with a good bit of bitterness. I can definitely taste the high alcohol content, but alcohol is not overly predominant.

Mouthfeel is tricky on this one. The beer has a medium body, but the bitterness from the hops coats my mouth to the point where this beer gives the perception of being much heavier than it really is. Taking another sip actually seems to clean the palate.

Overall, a very pleasant beer. I've read much about Hopslam, but have not yet had the opportunity to try it. Now that I have, I can say the reviews are correct. This is a great beer and one I'm looking forward to having again.

03-14-2009 01:32:00 | More by Florida9
DannyS

4.43/5  rDev -1.3%

Aquired via the amazing graciousness of the clerks at the Foodery in North Philadelphia.

Served in a tulip glass, poured from a 12 oz. bottle.

A - A medium amber with a thin head that goes away quick. Seems unassuming from the look.

S - Whoo...fruity, floral, sweet, supremely hoppy. One of the strongest smelling beers I've ever had. The malty sweet smell even reminded me of that pink amoxicillin liquid i had as a kid when i got sick...I loved that pink stuff.

T - My first sip was subtly hoppy. My second sip whacked me in the mouth with a hop grenade. Subsequent sips are yeilding one of the most balanced IPA's I've had yet. It's very sweet and floral-hoppy on the palate, but the bitterness goes away quick. Absolutely crazy.

M - medium weight on the tongue, smooth carbonation. works well for a double IPA.

D - Scary. Duvel-like in drinkability. This beast hides the alcohol so well i could barely taste it. The only thing holding this back from perfect 5 is the bitterness. Either way, if I wanted to get wasted quick, I could easily have one or two of these. More than that might dry my mouth out too much, and I would never disrespect this beer by not taking the time to savor it.

overall - Truly an experience in of itself. I'm so glad I got a chance to taste this gem. I was impressed by the masterful hoppyness, but I was even more impressed by how well the alcohol is masked. Even if you don't like IPA's (I'm not a fan myself), you owe it to yourself to try this destroyer of worlds.

03-13-2009 22:26:17 | More by DannyS
imagineiii

Vermont

got this in a trade with kiefdog, thanks for the chance to try this beer.

agressive pour into my trusty dfh snifter yields a finger and ahalf of white head. dissipates quickly. a hazy, dark orange.

sweet honey and grass, grapefruit on the nose.

taste is thick and smooth. honey is obvious again. bitterness has to be diminished from what it was, because it is hidden behind huge sweetness (whether its from the malts or the honey i dont know)

mouthfeel is particularly nice when the carbonation is diminished by an agressive pour and alot of swirling. thickness from the honey is noticeable.

this beer has definetely lost something. i remember it being hoppier and therefore better balanced at EBF. The thick mouthfeel combined with subdued hops makes this brew slightly syrupy.

03-13-2009 00:39:00 | More by imagineiii
ahalloin

4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

The first of a long line of great cask beers at the "Casks of March" event at Rustico in Northern VA. Had to get it quick because it was gone in 40 minutes!

Poured a cloudy dark golden color with little to no head of only large bubbles. Very opaque in nature, in that it didn't reflect light in the traditional way most beers do.

For a hophead, the aroma was the epitome of a greatness. It was almost like to I rounded up a few varieties of hop plants and then picked off the flowers and mashed them in the palm of my hand while inhaling. Positively breathtaking! Heavy citrus and pine notes, with doses of light toffee as a background. Somewhat medicinal. Almost a peach peel sweet and tart mixture.

The mouthfeel was understandably smooth. Virtually no carbonation. Am I drinking grapefruit juice mashed with pine sap? I mean that in the best way possible!! The taste had that peachy quality, citrus, and a bitter burning sensation through the finish.

Awesome beer!

03-12-2009 01:39:45 | More by ahalloin
bwd110

4.2/5  rDev -6.5%

Batch #8908

Poured into Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass

A - Light, murky golden brown, aggressive pour only yielded .5" off white head. Head sustained a little while and faded.... Nice lacing throughout. This beer even looks like its going to slam you with hops

S - Honey, sweet fruits, some malt, and holy hops! Very floral and citrusy presence

T - Love this flavor, hops hit you immediately with large floral presentation followed immediately by the honey. Only a hint of the malt backbone then quickly fades into a citrus hops bitter ending. Definitely a lot of alcohol warming going on here.

M - This one has some body to it and certainly covers the tongue. Certainly not unpleasant. A little carbonation zap on the tongue, but not too bad.

D - Because of the balance of the honey and malt against the extreme hoppiness, this one is surprisingly drinkable. Be careful!

Terrifically brewed beer, this is one of the ones you keep going back to year after year,

03-12-2009 00:20:16 | More by bwd110
jlb307

4.78/5  rDev +6.5%

HopSlam? Ought to be called HotDamn!!!
Poured from the 12 oz. bottle into an oversized wine glass.

A: It was like looking at a glass full of clover honey. Clear for the most part, with just a hint of cloudiness. Had about 1/2 inch of head which was nice, white, and thick. Beautifully laced the glass.

S: What can I say that hasn't already been said. Full of hops, pine, and sweet fruit. Just enough maltiness for balance. I could smell it the second I cracked it open. Hint of the alcohol, but not too much.

T: Just like it smells which is why it didn't disappoint. Almost no aftertaste with a smooth clean finish. Just as you take a sip, you get a hit of how floral this brew can be. I found tastebuds I didn't even know I had!

M: A bit thicker than I was hoping for, on the syrupy side. Not too much carbonation made it very comfortable, for lack of a better term.

D: So easy to drink, you forget just how much a six pack would cost! Still not sure just what I'd do to get ahold of some more....

03-11-2009 23:05:49 | More by jlb307
Pencible

4.15/5  rDev -7.6%

Just had this on cask at Rustico last night for their Glassware Giveaway event. Poured with no head, and was a hazy brushed gold color. Smelled fantastic. Ultra fresh hops, super clean, pineapple dominates, but also hints of pine and sour apple, solid honey sweetness. Taste is along the same lines as the smell. Definitely pure and clean hops, but not the exact flavor I enjoy best in a 2IPA. That's what kills this beer vs the hype for me. It's brewed excellently and tastes great, but just isn't my favorite flavor. Sweet honey malt helps balance the bitterness and makes it easier to drink, but it's still more of a sipping beer. Body was a little thick, but not as much as I was expecting from the cask. Basically no carbonation, and lasting bitterness in the aftertaste. Alcohol is nicely hidden, almost too well. Not sure if cask is worth the hype over regular tap? Overall, this was a pleasure to drink, but still not my favorite beer in the world.

03-11-2009 15:58:12 | More by Pencible
DefenCorps

Oregon

4.85/5  rDev +8%

On cask last night at Rustico.

Cask Hopslam pours a suffuse orange with a mild haze and not much head, surprisingly so. That, though, is the only disappointing about this beer. On the nose, there's a brilliant hop character, prominent and complex with pine and tropical fruit - pineapple, orange, mango. Just brilliant. On the palate, this beer is just brilliant. All the hops come through spectacularly. Light in body with a bit of sweetness that balances the hops really well, this beer is a treat. The cask conditioning of this beer really takes it to another level with a soft and creamy mouthfeel. And the drinkability? My first pint lasted 10 minutes.

03-11-2009 13:41:38 | More by DefenCorps
cowens22

Georgia

4.4/5  rDev -2%

Bottle poured into Duvel snifter. Poured a murky golden copper color with a one finger quickly diminishing head. Smell of citrusy hops with some floral and small malt undertones that almost leaves a sweet taste on the back of your tongue. Quite possibly the best nose that I have ever experienced. For a double IPA, the mouthfeel is a little thin for my expectations. Taste of a normal double IPA, citrusy hops a thin malt body that leaves a sweet aftertaste maybe a little caramel is in there. Very drinkable beer.

This is my first experience with Hopslam and to be honest, with all of the build up and rave reviews on message boards and from word of mouth, I was underwhelmed by this one. I am not saying that this is a bad beer by no stretch of the imagination. I am just saying that I felt that it didn't live up to the hype that is hovering around this one. The aromas that this one gives off is a reason to fall in love with this beer. It is by and far the best smelling beer that I have had the privilege of experienced. There are other double/imperial IPA's that I would choose over this one despite the incredible nose that this creates.

03-11-2009 03:42:31 | More by cowens22
Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.