Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 1,907
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.

(Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
4.13/5  rDev -8%

On tap at Beer Run. Always nice to try a beer like this on tap and see how it stacks up to the bottled version. Served in a 10 oz. brandy snifter.

Appearance: Pours a clear, crisp, golden orange bodied brew, capped by a slightly off-white, foamy head of above-average retention. Fine bubbled and sparse carbonation is evident if you hold it up to the light, creeping slowly upwards. The lacing is similarly impressive, spongy and sheetlike, and very attractive.

Aroma: Huge hops, but did you expect anything different? Enormous, juicy pineapple and ruby red grapefruit notes, backed up by gigantic spicy pine, hints of mint and earthy herbal notes, and a sweet, earthy, syrupy malt backbone. The honey definitely comes through, complete with hints of a clove-like spice. A faint kiss of darker roast in the finish.

Taste: Moderate to moderately-heavy bitterness, in case you were wondering what 100+ IBUs tastes like. A beautiful spicy pine and lightly tart grapefruit zest combo, honey-like and pale malts, a faint bready, doughy roast, orange zest, and other miscellaneous tart notes round it out. Delicious.

Mouthfeel: Not as thick as it probably should be, given that it's made with enough honey and malt to back up the hop schedule while still being drinkable. There's plenty of prickly, light effervescence, too, resulting in a slightly crisp but slightly uneven mouth.

Drinkability: At 10.0% abv, this one's (of course) not one to take lightly, but no need for me to tell you that - the flavors make that known easily enough. One of the classics, and deservedly - it's a tasty, aromatic hop monster, surprisingly quaffable, gorgeous, and a delight to the senses. Try it.

CrellMoset, Mar 16, 2009
4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

My first review! Got ahold of this in a cross-country trade, thanks Stephen!

A - Pours a nice golden color with a thin creamy white head. The head dissapates fairly quickly. There is medium carbonation.

S - Smells like a ripe grapefruit. Very hoppy but subtle hints of citrus sweetness, not the typical pine smell of a west coast IPA.

T - Very balanced. The hops are ever-present but letting the beer sit in your mouth a bit, you notice that the malt is there as well. There is no bitter aftertaste, finishes clean and slightly sweet.

M - Just the right amount of carbonation for a beer this big. It is thick, borderline syrupy.

D - Extremely drinkable. After hearing so much about this beer on BA I was afraid it might have been over-hyped. It is a great beer worth seeking out, I would trade for/ buy this again.

Genghis22, Mar 15, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +3.6%

Hopslam has a slammin' hoppy and piney aroma that smelled very sweet and fresh. I poured from a chilled bottle to glass which left a nice 1 ½ head. The color was a slight cloudy golden honey. It had a very complex body full of hoppy flavor with a twist of sweetness. Despite all the hop flavor and aroma it was not too overwhelming. If you are a hop fan then you will thoroughly enjoy this beer, as I did.

JEngler, Mar 15, 2009
4.22/5  rDev -6%

Now were talking. This is my kind of beer. It had a very rich color and I could immediately smell the hops when it was placed before me. For having such a high ABV I was concerned this might be sweeter than I like, but the people at Bell's have loaded up on the hop goodness!

Wheelinb, Mar 15, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +1.3%

This was aggressively poured into a tulip. Nice golden color with two finger head that dissipates quickly, leaving a light lacing. Halfway through the head was almost completely gone along with the lacing. The final product looked like a glass of honey.

Wow... extremely pungent floral hops are the predominant scent. There is a slight sweetness. The hops are mouth-watering.

The taste is equally impressive. Citrus bitterness and floral hops are kept in check with sweet honey. It's a great balance of over-the-top hops without being overly bitter.

The mouthfeel is a medium body and chewy. There's a slightly bitter grapefruit finish. It leaves the palate feeling clean and fresh, but I definitely won't be tasting anything else tonight.

There is a slight burn of alcohol, but who can blame them with this weighing in at 10%. For such a high abv it's hidden well enough and considering that, it's drinkability is impressive.

Simply put, this is a phenomenal example of an IIPA. Honestly, I can only think of one IIPA that I'd put ahead of this, but I'm not going to mention it's name out of respect for the Hopslam. Well done.

Vonerichs, Mar 14, 2009
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured into a pint glass

Deep golden color.

About 2 fingers of thick head, that dissipated to about 1/4 inch in the matter of about 2 minutes. However, it left a good coating of lacing on the side of the glass.

Aroma is all hops. Very fragrant. Floral with the scent of apricots.

The taste is of aggressive, flowery hops. Finishes with a good bit of bitterness. I can definitely taste the high alcohol content, but alcohol is not overly predominant.

Mouthfeel is tricky on this one. The beer has a medium body, but the bitterness from the hops coats my mouth to the point where this beer gives the perception of being much heavier than it really is. Taking another sip actually seems to clean the palate.

Overall, a very pleasant beer. I've read much about Hopslam, but have not yet had the opportunity to try it. Now that I have, I can say the reviews are correct. This is a great beer and one I'm looking forward to having again.

Florida9, Mar 14, 2009
4.43/5  rDev -1.3%

Aquired via the amazing graciousness of the clerks at the Foodery in North Philadelphia.

Served in a tulip glass, poured from a 12 oz. bottle.

A - A medium amber with a thin head that goes away quick. Seems unassuming from the look.

S - Whoo...fruity, floral, sweet, supremely hoppy. One of the strongest smelling beers I've ever had. The malty sweet smell even reminded me of that pink amoxicillin liquid i had as a kid when i got sick...I loved that pink stuff.

T - My first sip was subtly hoppy. My second sip whacked me in the mouth with a hop grenade. Subsequent sips are yeilding one of the most balanced IPA's I've had yet. It's very sweet and floral-hoppy on the palate, but the bitterness goes away quick. Absolutely crazy.

M - medium weight on the tongue, smooth carbonation. works well for a double IPA.

D - Scary. Duvel-like in drinkability. This beast hides the alcohol so well i could barely taste it. The only thing holding this back from perfect 5 is the bitterness. Either way, if I wanted to get wasted quick, I could easily have one or two of these. More than that might dry my mouth out too much, and I would never disrespect this beer by not taking the time to savor it.

overall - Truly an experience in of itself. I'm so glad I got a chance to taste this gem. I was impressed by the masterful hoppyness, but I was even more impressed by how well the alcohol is masked. Even if you don't like IPA's (I'm not a fan myself), you owe it to yourself to try this destroyer of worlds.

DannyS, Mar 13, 2009

got this in a trade with kiefdog, thanks for the chance to try this beer.

agressive pour into my trusty dfh snifter yields a finger and ahalf of white head. dissipates quickly. a hazy, dark orange.

sweet honey and grass, grapefruit on the nose.

taste is thick and smooth. honey is obvious again. bitterness has to be diminished from what it was, because it is hidden behind huge sweetness (whether its from the malts or the honey i dont know)

mouthfeel is particularly nice when the carbonation is diminished by an agressive pour and alot of swirling. thickness from the honey is noticeable.

this beer has definetely lost something. i remember it being hoppier and therefore better balanced at EBF. The thick mouthfeel combined with subdued hops makes this brew slightly syrupy.

imagineiii, Mar 13, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

The first of a long line of great cask beers at the "Casks of March" event at Rustico in Northern VA. Had to get it quick because it was gone in 40 minutes!

Poured a cloudy dark golden color with little to no head of only large bubbles. Very opaque in nature, in that it didn't reflect light in the traditional way most beers do.

For a hophead, the aroma was the epitome of a greatness. It was almost like to I rounded up a few varieties of hop plants and then picked off the flowers and mashed them in the palm of my hand while inhaling. Positively breathtaking! Heavy citrus and pine notes, with doses of light toffee as a background. Somewhat medicinal. Almost a peach peel sweet and tart mixture.

The mouthfeel was understandably smooth. Virtually no carbonation. Am I drinking grapefruit juice mashed with pine sap? I mean that in the best way possible!! The taste had that peachy quality, citrus, and a bitter burning sensation through the finish.

Awesome beer!

ahalloin, Mar 12, 2009
4.2/5  rDev -6.5%

Batch #8908

Poured into Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass

A - Light, murky golden brown, aggressive pour only yielded .5" off white head. Head sustained a little while and faded.... Nice lacing throughout. This beer even looks like its going to slam you with hops

S - Honey, sweet fruits, some malt, and holy hops! Very floral and citrusy presence

T - Love this flavor, hops hit you immediately with large floral presentation followed immediately by the honey. Only a hint of the malt backbone then quickly fades into a citrus hops bitter ending. Definitely a lot of alcohol warming going on here.

M - This one has some body to it and certainly covers the tongue. Certainly not unpleasant. A little carbonation zap on the tongue, but not too bad.

D - Because of the balance of the honey and malt against the extreme hoppiness, this one is surprisingly drinkable. Be careful!

Terrifically brewed beer, this is one of the ones you keep going back to year after year,

bwd110, Mar 12, 2009
4.78/5  rDev +6.5%

HopSlam? Ought to be called HotDamn!!!
Poured from the 12 oz. bottle into an oversized wine glass.

A: It was like looking at a glass full of clover honey. Clear for the most part, with just a hint of cloudiness. Had about 1/2 inch of head which was nice, white, and thick. Beautifully laced the glass.

S: What can I say that hasn't already been said. Full of hops, pine, and sweet fruit. Just enough maltiness for balance. I could smell it the second I cracked it open. Hint of the alcohol, but not too much.

T: Just like it smells which is why it didn't disappoint. Almost no aftertaste with a smooth clean finish. Just as you take a sip, you get a hit of how floral this brew can be. I found tastebuds I didn't even know I had!

M: A bit thicker than I was hoping for, on the syrupy side. Not too much carbonation made it very comfortable, for lack of a better term.

D: So easy to drink, you forget just how much a six pack would cost! Still not sure just what I'd do to get ahold of some more....

jlb307, Mar 11, 2009
4.15/5  rDev -7.6%

Just had this on cask at Rustico last night for their Glassware Giveaway event. Poured with no head, and was a hazy brushed gold color. Smelled fantastic. Ultra fresh hops, super clean, pineapple dominates, but also hints of pine and sour apple, solid honey sweetness. Taste is along the same lines as the smell. Definitely pure and clean hops, but not the exact flavor I enjoy best in a 2IPA. That's what kills this beer vs the hype for me. It's brewed excellently and tastes great, but just isn't my favorite flavor. Sweet honey malt helps balance the bitterness and makes it easier to drink, but it's still more of a sipping beer. Body was a little thick, but not as much as I was expecting from the cask. Basically no carbonation, and lasting bitterness in the aftertaste. Alcohol is nicely hidden, almost too well. Not sure if cask is worth the hype over regular tap? Overall, this was a pleasure to drink, but still not my favorite beer in the world.

Pencible, Mar 11, 2009
4.85/5  rDev +8%

On cask last night at Rustico.

Cask Hopslam pours a suffuse orange with a mild haze and not much head, surprisingly so. That, though, is the only disappointing about this beer. On the nose, there's a brilliant hop character, prominent and complex with pine and tropical fruit - pineapple, orange, mango. Just brilliant. On the palate, this beer is just brilliant. All the hops come through spectacularly. Light in body with a bit of sweetness that balances the hops really well, this beer is a treat. The cask conditioning of this beer really takes it to another level with a soft and creamy mouthfeel. And the drinkability? My first pint lasted 10 minutes.

DefenCorps, Mar 11, 2009
4.4/5  rDev -2%

Bottle poured into Duvel snifter. Poured a murky golden copper color with a one finger quickly diminishing head. Smell of citrusy hops with some floral and small malt undertones that almost leaves a sweet taste on the back of your tongue. Quite possibly the best nose that I have ever experienced. For a double IPA, the mouthfeel is a little thin for my expectations. Taste of a normal double IPA, citrusy hops a thin malt body that leaves a sweet aftertaste maybe a little caramel is in there. Very drinkable beer.

This is my first experience with Hopslam and to be honest, with all of the build up and rave reviews on message boards and from word of mouth, I was underwhelmed by this one. I am not saying that this is a bad beer by no stretch of the imagination. I am just saying that I felt that it didn't live up to the hype that is hovering around this one. The aromas that this one gives off is a reason to fall in love with this beer. It is by and far the best smelling beer that I have had the privilege of experienced. There are other double/imperial IPA's that I would choose over this one despite the incredible nose that this creates.

cowens22, Mar 11, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +3.1%

A- a thicker than normal IPA. Little head.

S- Crisp blend of hops that combine well. Citrus, pineapple.

T- Grain, caramel, complicated total package. I can't figure it out but the complexity is alluring.

M- Creamy and thick...much closer to what one would expect from a much darker beer.

D- I'm done and where did it go? I will have more when I get the chance.

So busy trying to recover some points from not catching the flavors right away that I drank all my HopSlam. Damn!

macktbone, Mar 10, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +0.9%

Impressive...most impressive.

I am about as far from a hophead as one can get, but this is an impressive beer.

Light amber in color, this beer surprises you with its complexity. The aroma is of very fresh hops. You don't so much smell the grapefruit, citrus, and pine as you do the perfect blend of hop goodness.

As ridiculous as this sounds, this is a "balanced" DIPA. Of course, the hops dominate, but you can taste the rest of the beer as well, the base malt and a hint of caramel. You can feel the alcohol warmth but don't really taste it. Dangerous.

The freshness of the hop flavor is amazing. I can imagine what this beer is like freshly tapped. Once again, the freshness of the hops overwhelms the distinct "types" of hop flavors. The thickness of the mouthfeel continuously remind you that this is a sipper.

joerodiii, Mar 10, 2009
4.85/5  rDev +8%

Very expensive six pack of this stuff. I think it may be well worth it, however. It's a beautiful honey-golden color with a thick dark white head that sticks to the glass the whole way down. It reeks of floral hops and citrus in the best possible way. A little sweetness and alcohol in the smell as well. The taste is remarkabley smooth considering the alcohol content. Grapefruity, hoppy, pine tree, and a touch of sweetness come together to form the best IPA I've ever had. Its medium body and texture is close to perfect and it's quite easy to drink. This may be the best beer I've ever had.

berserker256, Mar 10, 2009
4.9/5  rDev +9.1%

Served slightly chilled in my 12 oz. tulip.

A: Pours a medium copper with nice clarity. A half-finger off-white head, decent retention. Very sticky lacing.

S: Man, this smells so hoppy and bright. Full of grapefruit, pine, pineapple. The aroma just bursts from the bottle when the cap is popped.

T: Very similar to the aroma, but amped up about a thousand notches. Just so juicy, and full of hoppy goodness. The flavors absolutely explode once they hit the taste buds.

M: Thick and creamy, coats the inside of mny mouth and won't let me forget how good it tastes. Carbonation is spot on.

D: Drinkable? Uh, yea. Very. 10%? Can't taste it. I'm pretty sad that this is my last one, but I know next year one case will not be enough. World class.

Hey, my 50th review! Not a bad choice for my 50th.

Packforever1976, Mar 10, 2009

4-22-10 (rating)

Bottle into Sam Adams sensory glass. Another thanks to Jeff (AleWatcher) for yet another hoppy treat!

Pours slightly pale golden-copper, off-white creamy head that settles into a creamy thin cap with nice lacing.

Nose is big and hugely floral, lots of pungent tropical fruit and citrus rind, noticeable boozy alcohol as well. No malt to speak of breaking through; this one feels like it held up well. About a 4.3, tone down the booze and it's solidly in the 4.5 range.

Taste follow the nose - big time floral hops, loads and loads of pungent tropical fruit with a sharp bitterness that never overwhelms, just wheelbarrow loads of hop flavor. You sense the malt body more than you actual detect it, with just a bit of light caramel sweetness peeking out towards the finish. Finish itself is long, pungent, with the same array of hop flavors lingering like shadows. Quite tasty, and much improved over my experience with last year's edition. Jeff stored this from day 1 in a refrigerator, which seems to have made a big difference - this could be a fresh release and I would never have known the difference.

Mouthfeel is inline with last year - just a bit syrupy with plenty of carbonation. Big finish, plenty of booze, very tasty. Holds up very favorably despite the syrupy-ness.

Drinkability gets reevaluated, though - even with all the booze, the flavor level on this one delivers. Delicious beer that rose and surprised me with how fresh and vibrant it was. Top notch!

3-9-09

Bottle into red wine glass. Thanks Uwftke26!

Pours the color of polished copper, a glowing hazy gold-orange, with foamy moderate off-white head that fades quickly.

Nose is grapefruit rinds and a big floral note, almost herbal. All hops, with a bit of sweet caramel malt behind trying to break through. A bit of piney astringency as well.

Big and bold on the tongue, carbonation may be a touch aggressive. Some caramel up front, underneath a slightly astringent big, heavy rind-like citrus bitterness. both aspects seem to grow towards the finish, the caramel getting bigger and more intense and the astringent hop note pairing with the citrus to really explode on the swallow. A bit of alcohol heat comes through as well. Finish is long, bitter.

Mouthfeel is fairly sharply carbonated, a bit syrupy.

Overall, disappointed in this one. Granted, this one isn't quite fresh - but the big flavors seemed a bit disjointed, and lacking in complexity and subtlety. The huge sweetness coupled with the piney astringency was a bit much in this one. Would have like for the massive sweetness to have been toned down just a bit.

JohnQVegas, Mar 09, 2009
4.88/5  rDev +8.7%

A- Like the label but the pour could have been more impressive. Color is similar to two heated ale; pale straw color yellow. Very little head with the pour but may be attributed to the temp of my refrigerator.

S- Heaven. Bell's has done a great job of balancing this beer. The hops are an obvious nose filling aroma but the malt is worthy of mention as well. Makes me smile when I know I will soon be drinking this olfactory stimulating elixir.

Taste- As worthy as the smell. This beer is balanced between pine, citrus, and floral hops. The honey addition to the fermentation leaves its own sweetness to the taste of the beer. I think the sweetness of the honey makes the bitterness even more enjoyable. The beer is initially sweet when it hits the tongue but quickly gives way to the hops and slight warmth of alcohol. Not a hot alcohol taste but ever so slightly warming on the finish.

M- Seems to be sweet and slightly thick at first but the hops and carbonation come through with an enjoyable bitterness and effervescent cleaning of the palate.

D- Exceptional drinkability for a beer of this style. I am going to enjoy my six pack while it lasts but at $16 a sixer I will not be drinking this on a regular basis, even though I would really like to. Get it, drink it, love it.

lincoln44, Mar 09, 2009
4.43/5  rDev -1.3%

Reviewed from notes so sorry if brief.

A - Good head although it dissapeared fairly fast. Lacing was weak at first but improved dramatically as the beer warmed a little.

S - Sweet fruity hops, maybe some summits although I have just started to pick up varieties. A slight pineness in the nose also.

T - A piney smell of the bat, developed into a sweeter finish, then back to pine. Very pleasant. An intense hop tast for sure but not as overpowering as I was expecting ((which I was happy about)

M - Heavy on the pallette, lingering taste from the hops.

D - Its 10%, but maybe good for 2. Would revisit this one especially since its once a year.

Baileyuk, Mar 09, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +0.9%

I've heard so much about this beer that I had to fork over the $18 for a six pack.

A- Yellow in color with a beautiful off white head that sticks around and leaves lacing all the way down. I was a bit upset a whole hop cone didn't come out:)

S- This beer smells so amazing, the instant I cracked the top the smell hops came pouring into my nose. Just beautiful, by far the most enjoyable smelling beer I've had. I can't smell anything besides the hops, no alcohol aroma what so ever.

T- Probably the best tasting Imp IPA I've ever had. The spring to life when they hit the tounge, and they never let go in the after taste. The honey is noticeable, and really does a great job balancing the beer, but in all the hops win that battle. I havent tried too many Imp IPA's I must say that it's not my favorite sytle but this beer is delicious.

D- It's surprisingly drinkable, the alcohol content is high and it sneaks up on you. This is a beer where one is enough for me, which is a good thing in my opinion.

Hopslam is a great beer but it makes my wallet ache. I'm more partial to regular IPA's so I'd probably only buy this once a year. I would like to try it on tap however.

brow1901, Mar 09, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +4.2%

Hopslam has an extremely floral nose and taste. As one the best DIPAs I've had, I highly recommend it. However, at 10% ABV it's tough for me to drink more than two. Note: that this is one of Bells seasonal beers and is only available for a short time beginning in early January.

BellsFan, Mar 09, 2009
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

A- Pours a nice golden-amber with moderate head. Pretty.

S- Sweet citrusy hops. Lemons, orange, grapefruit. Smells delicious, light, crisp, clean.

T- Grapefruit, sweet, finishes with a moderate hop bitterness. Not nearly as shocking or harsh as other DIPAs I've had. Just a hint of malt in there. Very good. Hardly any alcohol.

M- Creamier than I thought it would be, still smooth and clean. Slightly prickly from the hops and alcohol--refreshing almost.

D- Couldn't drink a ton of these with the high ABV, but definitely could have more than one.

This is great. Bells puts out some good brews, that's for sure.

LordAdmNelson, Mar 08, 2009
4.35/5  rDev -3.1%

Thanks to kirok1999 for this one. I've been waiting to try this for some time.
Pours a dark golden color with a big fluffy head. For a 10% brew, the lacing and head are pretty amazing.
Smells like a hop bomb...as expected. However, it's far more reminiscent of the west coast pineapple/grapefruit hops.
Taste starts off a little sweet, like more DIPAs, with all of the hops taking on the sweetness and showcasing their flavors. Lots of tropical fruits, citrus, and a little pine. As the finish kicks in, the sweetness carries through the whole time. I bet we have the honey to thank for that. It surprisingly doesn't end up as being too sweet and it really just holds everything together.
For a 10% abv beer, you'd never know it. The sweetness comes across as more of the honey flavor than a high alcohol booziness, and the texture is just great.
I polished off a bottle and could've easily had 2 or more. My wife finished hers inside 10 minutes. One of the most drinkable beers of it's strength that you'll ever encounter.

Cheers to Bell's with this one! I was pretty underwhelmed by Two Hearted, but Hopslam is amazing.

Domingo, Mar 08, 2009
Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.