Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 2,160
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
4.45/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- Gently poured a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass, I learned from the last Hopslam to pour slow. Nice foamy white head, the beer is a straw colored gold with lots of tiny bubbles streaming from the bottom and after a few drinks some nice lacing.

S- Big grapefruit and pine scents very nice spring like aromas.

T- Lots of citrus, lots of carbonation bitter on the tongue some pepper taste and a dry finish.

MF-You can really feel all the hops, zesty dry feel throughout the mouth but very refreshing. They aren't kidding when they say a tongue bruiser of a beer.

D-Great hoppy beer, very drinkable, the alcohol is well hidden so it would have to be a very short session.

4.68/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours a light golden amber in a snifter. Has a one finger head that disappeared quickly. Left a good retention along glass.

I first notice strong hops and citrus. Its potent but not overwhelming at all. Also has hints of pine, honey, and hemp.

Has very flavorful hops, honey, pine, and grapefruit. The sweetness hides bitterness from the intense hops. A slight peeper taste helps the hops bounce off your tongue.

Medium-bodied with decent carbonation.

Pretty smooth and sweet fro a hoppy IPA with a high ABV like this. I look forward to Hopslam every January. I was lucky enough to have some on draft in late summer at the Brewpup. It was leftover from a private party batch.

4.25/5  rDev -5.3%

Obtained through a trade with StormKing47. Bottle into my Lost Abbey tulip.

Pours mid way between honey and amber in color. Somewhat clear brew with tiny bubbles skirting their way to the top. One and a half finger white head composed of tiny bubbles dies down to a very thin layer of foam that is concentrated around the edge of the glass. Tons of lacing left behind.

The nose is incredible. All I can smell is hop based fruit scents. I get apricots, peach, apple juice, pineapple, and mango in no particular order. No trace of alcohol in the nose. Some honey in there as well. As it warms the scent of this beer screams peach and apricots.

The flavor starts off sweet like apple juice or honey with bread and barley in the middle giving way to an onslaught of hop flavor in the form of apricots, peach, pineapple and mango. As the hops begin to slam your palate, the flavors seems more bitter yet balanced by the fruit flavors mentioned above. The finish is quite balanced between bread like flavor, honey sweetness and hop bitterness. Pine and dank resin begin to become more apparent towards the end of the palate as the beer warms. Lingering bitter hops. My only complaint is that the bread and honey/apple juice flavors are a little too strong and somewhat distracting.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly light. I would call it medium bodied. Smooth, not very syrupy as other 10% range DIPAs can become. Tiny bubbles, but not so carbonated as to become prickly.

The drinkability is exceptional for the abv. Drinks like a much lighter beer.

4.85/5  rDev +8%

HopSlam is a very nice combination of flavors. Instantly you notice the extreme hoppy character and then it mellows off into a sweeter honey flavor. I compair all IPA's to Dogfish 90 min, as being from Milton, DE that is the standard. It would be a nice compliment to a 90 min. Slightly hoppier than the 90 min. and a lot sweeter ending. Overall a very drinkable beer, and I enjoyed every drop.

4.72/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Clear, bright, golden orange. Very small off white head that fades quickly. Lots of tiny bubbles.

S: Piney and slightly floral. I also get what I perceive as a "sweet" aroma, could be the honey.

T: Hop bitterness smacks the taste buds initially, but fades to a nice sweet finish. Not overly sweet, but leaves a pleasant sweetness on the palate.

M: This beer coats your mouth with what I would describe as "slickery". Maybe slightly oily mouth feel. There is some nice bite from the carbonation as well.

D: Very drinkable for a 10% beer. The alcohol leaves you with a nice warming sensation in the belly. I would be happy downing a couple over lunch on the ski slopes.

Overall: This is a VERY good beer. One that I have wanted to try to quite some time and was lucky enough to get my hands on it via trade. I consider Pliny as the standard for all Imperial IPA's and Hopslam more than holds it's own in comparison.

4.53/5  rDev +0.9%

Served from a bottle into a snifter.

The appearance is a copper color that you can see right through. There is an inch of head on this beer.

After putting my nose to the snifter I get a strong scent of floral hops, slightly sweet to the smell.

Upon taking a sip I notice a strong upfront flavor of floral hop that bites the tongue and a slight alcohol tingle. The after taste is somewhat sweet with honey but then changes to an astringent and earthy flavor.

The mouthfeel is very slippery and slick with plenty of carbonation, which tickles the roof of my mouth.

Hopslam has a strong flavor and aftertaste. There is also no hiding the 10% abv which one can feel on their tongue. This beer is probably best for sipping no more than two, but of course drinkability is all relative.

4.6/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This beer is absolutely amazing. It is like a summer day of hard work away from a water hole and the skies began to rain down juicy fruits and sweet nectar! This beer is just dripping with fresh juice of mango, pineapple, and grapefruit. One of the most beautiful well rounded beers I have ever tried. Drink it fresh though because whenever it gets a little bit of age on it those hops start to go fast. Drink up and cheers!

4.58/5  rDev +2%

Bought this at Hawthornes in the Bella Vista section of Philly.

Had it out of the bottle.

Appearence -Glowing golden color, almost looks like a glass of honey. It just looks delicious.

Smell-Aroma is initially full of hops as one would expect from an American IPA, citrus is ever-present (grapefruit & pineapple), but eventually it melts into honey & caramel.

Taste -I wasnt ready for the taste of this, especially because the style of an American Double IPA hides well the sweetness that this beer provides.

I cant wait until next year for its re-release. Ill have to make due with the two 12 ouncers sitting in my fridge right now.

4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

Had this one on tap at Thomas House.

Glowing golden color, thick white cap that holds well, and makes fine sheets of lace down the glass. A finger collar lasts all the way to the end.
Aroma is initially a hop assault, citric, piney, lots of grapefruits, but eventually some honey, caramel and cookie notes provide some balance. Firm on the palate, bitter and hoppy, fruity, with some caramel notes. Honey, cookie round up the taste.
Fresh this beer is just amazing. Every time I have it I like it a bit more. Mind you, I am NOT a hophead.

4.22/5  rDev -6%

A: Golden orange with a small white head

S: Lots of citrus, mainly grapefruit, and strong piney hops

T: Immediate hps with strong citrus notes leads the way and a sweet honey flavor finishes. A floral hoppiness lingers in the aftertase.

M: Pretty light bodied with lots of bitterness. Smooth with little spice or heat.

D: It's bitter and has relatively high ABV. However, drinkability is pretty good considering this.

Overall, this is a MUST try for hop lovers. It's probably worth a try for those who don't love hops too.

4.83/5  rDev +7.6%

It's in my top 5 beers I've ever had, I must say...

A: Nice amber orange with a great foamy head.

S: HOPSLAM! The name says it all. Floral, citrus, pine, check check check.

T: Powerful hop citrus taste, hint of sweetness. Nice and bitter on the palate as well, slight bit of alcohol burn that I just love.

M: Good carbonation with a hint of syrup.

D: You could get into trouble quick with this beer. Highly drinkable for a 10% IPA.

I still remember how big my eyes got the first time I had this beer. It's been one of those things I only get to try every couple of years because we can't get it in Oregon. Love it.

4.9/5  rDev +9.1%

Beautiful amber color with a medium head, good head retention and lacing.

Smell is absolutely phenomenal. This is the best smelling beer I've ever had. Floral, citrusy, piney, and those hops definitely are pronounced. Absolutely wonderful.

The taste is the best aspect of this beer. It's definitely bold, but not overwhelming. The hops are hard-hitting, but again not overwhelming. It has some bitterness, but it is a good bitterness. Unbelievably well-balanced.

The drinkability is the only thing I can mark this beer down a bit for. But that's not to say it's bad, it's quite great. It's unbelievably drinkable for a hoppy double IPA. Not the most drinkable beer out there, but very drinkable nonetheless.

Overall, the best beer I've ever had. It's great in every department, especially taste. So well balanced. Everything great you've heard about this beer is true. A++

4.15/5  rDev -7.6%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip. No Freshness date listed but it just arrived in a trade Saturday so I'm drinking it as fresh as I possibly can. From notes 03/09/10.

Nice bright orange body is topped by a bright white head that dies down after a few minutes but leaves some nice sticky lacing.

Strong floral nose with some underlying pine aroma. The malt sweetness of the honey is fairly easy to pick out but it's simple, clean, and well integrated considering the ABV.

Honey is a little more obvious than I'd prefer but better applied than many other honey beers. Hops seem slightly more citric than on the aroma. There's a nice bitterness in the aftertaste but as it warms the honey becomes a bigger and bigger part of the overall flavor.

I prefer a cleaner, drier, finish on my DIPA than I'm getting from this beer. The ABV is well masked by the hop profile and by the honey which keeps drinkability very high for the style.

Altogether a very unique and interesting take on the style. Although not exactly to my tastes, I can see why so many enjoy this beer so much.

4.2/5  rDev -6.5%

12oz btl poured into Bass pint glass.

A: a forcefull pour yields nearly 3 fingers of head. I don't remember this beer ever being this lively. Rocky head slowly fades into a more manageable entity. Very attractive golden straw color with hints of copper.

S: Beautiful. This is right up there with my other favorite aromatic beer, Nugget Nectar. Pungent piney hops all around. This bottle is a couple months old but still smells delicious...I almost forgot about actually drinking it, that's how wonderful it smells.

T: Sweet and sticky. I didn't notice it in the aroma, but as far as taste goes this has faded a bit. Still has a nice hop profile, just not as aggressive as I remember.

M: prickly with a medium body. leaves the mouth rather dry...yearning for the next sip, which is a good thing.

D: I've always felt that Hopslam is WAY too drinkable for 10% abv. I could drink several of these,quickly... if I didn't know better.

A top notch beer. If you've never had it get some, but make sure it is fresh. This beer is amazing, but it fades maybe faster than anything else out there. It is still a good beer after several months, but it isn't world class...when fresh this beer is world class.

4.93/5  rDev +9.8%

A: Poured into a snifter it yielded a small, wispy head. Beautiful golden color with a slight amber tinge.

S: Grapefruit dominates, giving way to a multitude of citrus, pineapple, and honey smell with a hint of pine.

T: Follows the smell, with a ton of grapefruit up front with a nice amount of bitterness. While this beer is infinitely hoppy, it is very well balanced with the honey sweetness.

M: Slightly syrupy with crisp carbonation from ultrafine bubbles. Like a subdued version of fine champagne.

D: This beer is dangerously drinkable for 10% alcohol. It is very smooth, and I would have no problem drinking several, though I may regret it come the following morning.

Overall, this beer is my favorite double IPA to date.(Admittedly I'm pretty young) It follows the character of the Two Hearted Ale which is probably my favorite standard American IPA with citrus-hop dominating the smell and taste. Overall, this is an excellent DIPA.

4.85/5  rDev +8%

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this beer yet...

Prior to this 2010 bottle it already stands as my favorite (D)IPA, so please bear in mind the completely unabashed brew-crush I have on this beer.

A- This is a damn fine looking beer. It has one of the most inviting colors in any beer I've seen. Darker than you might expect, with lots of copper, pink, red grapefruit...it's essentially a Florida sunset.

S- I poured this bottle into a DFH snifter....a ton of grapefruit aroma with a steady and astringent alcohol backbone.

T- Where did that alcohol go? If I didn't know any better I would definitely place this beer in the 7% range. The taste of Hopslam is very encompassing....it fills your mouth with a decently sweet citrus bomb that is overbalanced (appropriately) by the actual hop slam that you knew was coming.

M- Thick and just a little syrupy. I imagine the honey has a bit to do with that. I wouldn't mind a touch more carbonation but it isn't a problem by any means. Just a little more life would be nice.

D: Ridiculously good for a 10% beer. Okay, maybe not if you don't like IPAs. But if you do, this is the cleanest, least imposing high gravity beer that I've had. If it wasn't $16 for a six-pack I could make this a session beer.

An absolute MUST for IPA fans, and fans of extremely well-made beer in general.

3.83/5  rDev -14.7%

Bottle thanks to jprime! Nice clear gold pour with a very thin white head. A long ton of hops, floral hops and pepper, the honey comes out as a kind of coughdrop-like medecine aroma. Taste is similar to the aroma with honey and tons of hops. It is very good, though it might be a little too extreme on hops for me. Stands out of the lot, I'm glad I could try this one Jeff!

4.78/5  rDev +6.5%

After trailing Hopslam throughout the Chicago Area for about a month, I finally ran into at the bar next door to the bar I work at. I was shocked - it had been there the for weeks and I had no idea. I guess that's what I get for not going to see my friends who work there often enough. Anyhow, the one session I was able to have there, I got...well...a bit out of hand. I didn't realize that it was a 10%er. Fortunately, I found a six pack at my local grocery store and had the opportunity to come home and review it under far more responsible circumstances.

APPEARANCE: Golden, honey color with a foamy half inch head. Hundreds of tiny bubbles continued racing towards the surface even several minutes after the pour. Solid, thick lacing throughout the glass.

SMELL: A hint of honey gives way to a strong hop aroma. The smell almost seems as if it is designed to be a warning to some while also being a welcoming beacon to others. The first sniff heightens the anticipation of the first sip even further.

TASTE: One thing I generally don't like about intensely hoppy beers is how sweet they can get. Sure, some stay on the dry side, but many turn into almost a candy flavored beer. In Hopslam's case, the honey notes are certainly present, but the sweetness of the honey is not overwhelming - it blends nicely with the strong hop flavor.

FEEL: The mouth feel only adds to Hopslam's spectacular drink ability. Tiny bubbles hit the tongue right off the bat and continue to stay lively throughout the entire taste, but the bubbles don't bite.

OVERALL: One of the most drinkable and delicious beers I've had. Hopslam is somehow, intense, smooth, sweet, dry, bitter and delicious all at he same time. As one of my fellow bartenders put it - "it's like they tried to fit two beers into that one bottle and somehow they fit."

4.72/5  rDev +5.1%

This beautiful beer is the best thing that has ever come out of Michigan. The color, taste and smell are what makes this beer one of the best I have ever had. Even though it has a high ABV it is still one of the smoothest beer that you can try. Highly recommend to the amatuer just getting into stronger with more taste beers.

4.65/5  rDev +3.6%

A: Beautiful fine, amber-honey tone, hints of red with a syrupy, small head.

S: Spicy citrus with almost a brass tone to the smell and a nice floral undercurrent.

T: Rather intense hop bitterness--but not as intense as A LOT of DIPAs--up front, then a nice smooth sweetness from the honey, then a great floral hop flavor at the end, without too much bitterness. Wonderful.

M: Smoother and softer than I expected for the style, for a 10% beer it's amazingly delicate. There is certainly a lot of warming from the alcohol, but it doesn't really hurt it that much.

D: Amazingly, DANGEROUSLY drinkable for a DIPA this strong.

4.08/5  rDev -9.1%

A - Hazy orangish/amber with a nice foamy head. Good retention and sticky lacing on the sides.

S - Tons of hops, citrusy, grassy, even a little earthy if you look real hard. Malt backbone, and a sweet smell comes from it. Alcohol cuts through, can really smell it.

T - Very nice, sweet pine/grapefruit/grassy hops with a subtle light malt backbone. Nicely bitter, but not overpoweringly so.

M - Creamy and medium bodied. Nice carbonation compliment.

D - Easy to drink, the high ABV is slightly noticable and will kick your ass if you try too many.

First time to try it today. Truly an exceptional beer!
Pours a nice orange and golden color with moderate head.
The aroma is a basket of citrusy fruits and sweet honey and handfuls of hops. It smells so damn delicious.
The beverage drinks smoothly, taste of fruit, pine, sweet honey, and hops...lots of em'
At 10% ABV, the alcohol is almost completely hidden. I could drink these all night and not be able to know I was drinking such a high gravity beer from just taste alone.
One of the best DIPA's out there. Get it if you can.
I had to travel a nice little distance to get it but it was well worth it!

4.88/5  rDev +8.7%

I had the opportunity to taste (on FEB 2010) a one year old (2009) Hopslam next to a fresh (2010) Hopslam. And tested in the new Samuel Adams beer snob glasses to boot. Wow. What a difference. The 2009 had been stored dark, cool (cellar) and was VERY GOOD. BUT contrasted with the FRESH Hopslam it was considerably mellower with a smoother body, lower head and was of a flatter carbonation. The fresh Hopslam had a face slapping citrus bouquet and from the first sip it had a sharp and stringent smack of grapefruit right into the aftertaste. Wonderfully enjoyable for hopheads BUT maltbellies would be very disappointed. I think I've finally found a breakfast champagne beer to challenge my current choice of the clean and crisply carbonated Birra Moretti (urp). Here's to Bells!

4.83/5  rDev +7.6%

Acquired this from 321jeff as a gift for having a son. No Strings attached, what at guy. Thanks Jeff for hooking me up with such a wonderful beer.

This beer pours a cloudy, honey color with a one finger white creamy head that discipated quickly. Sticky lacing leaves a nice spider web on the glass

Honey, pineapple, orange and even apple notes are present. Oh, did i mention HOPS!!!!Sweet malts are also present.

I love ipa's and this is one of the best tasting DIPA's i've ever had. Its the East's response to RR PtE, but only second best ;). Sweet honey, pineapple, and mango flavors come out in front, followed by piney, citrusy hoppines that i oh so love. Nice lasting bitterness lingers as i type this....damn that's a good beer.

Medium body, moderate carbonation, sticky, oily and resinny on the tongue with a nice dry finish.

What can i say, this is a very drinkable beer, but I'm finding myself a bit tipsy, so i don't think its very sessionable. Its pretty strong at 10% and its shining through and not hidden as others have mentioned. Event though its strong, it does go down easily and is extremely well balanced. I have one more in my fridge that i cant wait to drink even thought this one is only 3/4 empty. I am accepting offers for trades now.

4.58/5  rDev +2%

Big thanks to Brian for bringing a case of this back to share from his recent trip. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a generic wide mouth tulip. Batch #9502

Liquid is a hazy golden orange with amber highlights. A solid yet rocky ivory collar rings around a bonsai-like design of surface bubbles. Fine lacing and faint legs.

Fresh, potent hops assault the senses: hemp, evergreen, mint, sweat, clove, along with faint tropical and citrus notes. The honey coes through next, adding a sweet fruity counterpoint.

Intensely flavorful - pine, tangelo, persimmon, and earth on the palate. The bitterness is well balanced by sugars - but the hops maintain a certain clarity with the sweetness coming from honey rather than malt. Peppery, zesty finish with lingering fruit and hops.

Medium-bodied, creamy, yet the bitterness leaves the gums tingling. Average carbonation which works well for this beer. The alcohol is disguised making this dangerous in the drinkability category.

Quite bitter, but the balance draws you back again and again.

A unique take on the DIPA that offers a thoughtful alternative to the whole West Coast/East Coast divide.

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.