Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 2,168
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
4.22/5  rDev -6%

A: Golden orange with a small white head

S: Lots of citrus, mainly grapefruit, and strong piney hops

T: Immediate hps with strong citrus notes leads the way and a sweet honey flavor finishes. A floral hoppiness lingers in the aftertase.

M: Pretty light bodied with lots of bitterness. Smooth with little spice or heat.

D: It's bitter and has relatively high ABV. However, drinkability is pretty good considering this.

Overall, this is a MUST try for hop lovers. It's probably worth a try for those who don't love hops too.

4.82/5  rDev +7.3%

It's in my top 5 beers I've ever had, I must say...

A: Nice amber orange with a great foamy head.

S: HOPSLAM! The name says it all. Floral, citrus, pine, check check check.

T: Powerful hop citrus taste, hint of sweetness. Nice and bitter on the palate as well, slight bit of alcohol burn that I just love.

M: Good carbonation with a hint of syrup.

D: You could get into trouble quick with this beer. Highly drinkable for a 10% IPA.

I still remember how big my eyes got the first time I had this beer. It's been one of those things I only get to try every couple of years because we can't get it in Oregon. Love it.

4.9/5  rDev +9.1%

Beautiful amber color with a medium head, good head retention and lacing.

Smell is absolutely phenomenal. This is the best smelling beer I've ever had. Floral, citrusy, piney, and those hops definitely are pronounced. Absolutely wonderful.

The taste is the best aspect of this beer. It's definitely bold, but not overwhelming. The hops are hard-hitting, but again not overwhelming. It has some bitterness, but it is a good bitterness. Unbelievably well-balanced.

The drinkability is the only thing I can mark this beer down a bit for. But that's not to say it's bad, it's quite great. It's unbelievably drinkable for a hoppy double IPA. Not the most drinkable beer out there, but very drinkable nonetheless.

Overall, the best beer I've ever had. It's great in every department, especially taste. So well balanced. Everything great you've heard about this beer is true. A++

4.17/5  rDev -7.1%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip. No Freshness date listed but it just arrived in a trade Saturday so I'm drinking it as fresh as I possibly can. From notes 03/09/10.

Nice bright orange body is topped by a bright white head that dies down after a few minutes but leaves some nice sticky lacing.

Strong floral nose with some underlying pine aroma. The malt sweetness of the honey is fairly easy to pick out but it's simple, clean, and well integrated considering the ABV.

Honey is a little more obvious than I'd prefer but better applied than many other honey beers. Hops seem slightly more citric than on the aroma. There's a nice bitterness in the aftertaste but as it warms the honey becomes a bigger and bigger part of the overall flavor.

I prefer a cleaner, drier, finish on my DIPA than I'm getting from this beer. The ABV is well masked by the hop profile and by the honey which keeps drinkability very high for the style.

Altogether a very unique and interesting take on the style. Although not exactly to my tastes, I can see why so many enjoy this beer so much.

4.22/5  rDev -6%

12oz btl poured into Bass pint glass.

A: a forcefull pour yields nearly 3 fingers of head. I don't remember this beer ever being this lively. Rocky head slowly fades into a more manageable entity. Very attractive golden straw color with hints of copper.

S: Beautiful. This is right up there with my other favorite aromatic beer, Nugget Nectar. Pungent piney hops all around. This bottle is a couple months old but still smells delicious...I almost forgot about actually drinking it, that's how wonderful it smells.

T: Sweet and sticky. I didn't notice it in the aroma, but as far as taste goes this has faded a bit. Still has a nice hop profile, just not as aggressive as I remember.

M: prickly with a medium body. leaves the mouth rather dry...yearning for the next sip, which is a good thing.

D: I've always felt that Hopslam is WAY too drinkable for 10% abv. I could drink several of these,quickly... if I didn't know better.

A top notch beer. If you've never had it get some, but make sure it is fresh. This beer is amazing, but it fades maybe faster than anything else out there. It is still a good beer after several months, but it isn't world class...when fresh this beer is world class.

4.92/5  rDev +9.6%

A: Poured into a snifter it yielded a small, wispy head. Beautiful golden color with a slight amber tinge.

S: Grapefruit dominates, giving way to a multitude of citrus, pineapple, and honey smell with a hint of pine.

T: Follows the smell, with a ton of grapefruit up front with a nice amount of bitterness. While this beer is infinitely hoppy, it is very well balanced with the honey sweetness.

M: Slightly syrupy with crisp carbonation from ultrafine bubbles. Like a subdued version of fine champagne.

D: This beer is dangerously drinkable for 10% alcohol. It is very smooth, and I would have no problem drinking several, though I may regret it come the following morning.

Overall, this beer is my favorite double IPA to date.(Admittedly I'm pretty young) It follows the character of the Two Hearted Ale which is probably my favorite standard American IPA with citrus-hop dominating the smell and taste. Overall, this is an excellent DIPA.

4.83/5  rDev +7.6%

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this beer yet...

Prior to this 2010 bottle it already stands as my favorite (D)IPA, so please bear in mind the completely unabashed brew-crush I have on this beer.

A- This is a damn fine looking beer. It has one of the most inviting colors in any beer I've seen. Darker than you might expect, with lots of copper, pink, red grapefruit...it's essentially a Florida sunset.

S- I poured this bottle into a DFH snifter....a ton of grapefruit aroma with a steady and astringent alcohol backbone.

T- Where did that alcohol go? If I didn't know any better I would definitely place this beer in the 7% range. The taste of Hopslam is very encompassing....it fills your mouth with a decently sweet citrus bomb that is overbalanced (appropriately) by the actual hop slam that you knew was coming.

M- Thick and just a little syrupy. I imagine the honey has a bit to do with that. I wouldn't mind a touch more carbonation but it isn't a problem by any means. Just a little more life would be nice.

D: Ridiculously good for a 10% beer. Okay, maybe not if you don't like IPAs. But if you do, this is the cleanest, least imposing high gravity beer that I've had. If it wasn't $16 for a six-pack I could make this a session beer.

An absolute MUST for IPA fans, and fans of extremely well-made beer in general.

3.84/5  rDev -14.5%

Bottle thanks to jprime! Nice clear gold pour with a very thin white head. A long ton of hops, floral hops and pepper, the honey comes out as a kind of coughdrop-like medecine aroma. Taste is similar to the aroma with honey and tons of hops. It is very good, though it might be a little too extreme on hops for me. Stands out of the lot, I'm glad I could try this one Jeff!

4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

After trailing Hopslam throughout the Chicago Area for about a month, I finally ran into at the bar next door to the bar I work at. I was shocked - it had been there the for weeks and I had no idea. I guess that's what I get for not going to see my friends who work there often enough. Anyhow, the one session I was able to have there, I got...well...a bit out of hand. I didn't realize that it was a 10%er. Fortunately, I found a six pack at my local grocery store and had the opportunity to come home and review it under far more responsible circumstances.

APPEARANCE: Golden, honey color with a foamy half inch head. Hundreds of tiny bubbles continued racing towards the surface even several minutes after the pour. Solid, thick lacing throughout the glass.

SMELL: A hint of honey gives way to a strong hop aroma. The smell almost seems as if it is designed to be a warning to some while also being a welcoming beacon to others. The first sniff heightens the anticipation of the first sip even further.

TASTE: One thing I generally don't like about intensely hoppy beers is how sweet they can get. Sure, some stay on the dry side, but many turn into almost a candy flavored beer. In Hopslam's case, the honey notes are certainly present, but the sweetness of the honey is not overwhelming - it blends nicely with the strong hop flavor.

FEEL: The mouth feel only adds to Hopslam's spectacular drink ability. Tiny bubbles hit the tongue right off the bat and continue to stay lively throughout the entire taste, but the bubbles don't bite.

OVERALL: One of the most drinkable and delicious beers I've had. Hopslam is somehow, intense, smooth, sweet, dry, bitter and delicious all at he same time. As one of my fellow bartenders put it - "it's like they tried to fit two beers into that one bottle and somehow they fit."

4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

This beautiful beer is the best thing that has ever come out of Michigan. The color, taste and smell are what makes this beer one of the best I have ever had. Even though it has a high ABV it is still one of the smoothest beer that you can try. Highly recommend to the amatuer just getting into stronger with more taste beers.

4.61/5  rDev +2.7%

A: Beautiful fine, amber-honey tone, hints of red with a syrupy, small head.

S: Spicy citrus with almost a brass tone to the smell and a nice floral undercurrent.

T: Rather intense hop bitterness--but not as intense as A LOT of DIPAs--up front, then a nice smooth sweetness from the honey, then a great floral hop flavor at the end, without too much bitterness. Wonderful.

M: Smoother and softer than I expected for the style, for a 10% beer it's amazingly delicate. There is certainly a lot of warming from the alcohol, but it doesn't really hurt it that much.

D: Amazingly, DANGEROUSLY drinkable for a DIPA this strong.

4.08/5  rDev -9.1%

A - Hazy orangish/amber with a nice foamy head. Good retention and sticky lacing on the sides.

S - Tons of hops, citrusy, grassy, even a little earthy if you look real hard. Malt backbone, and a sweet smell comes from it. Alcohol cuts through, can really smell it.

T - Very nice, sweet pine/grapefruit/grassy hops with a subtle light malt backbone. Nicely bitter, but not overpoweringly so.

M - Creamy and medium bodied. Nice carbonation compliment.

D - Easy to drink, the high ABV is slightly noticable and will kick your ass if you try too many.

First time to try it today. Truly an exceptional beer!
Pours a nice orange and golden color with moderate head.
The aroma is a basket of citrusy fruits and sweet honey and handfuls of hops. It smells so damn delicious.
The beverage drinks smoothly, taste of fruit, pine, sweet honey, and hops...lots of em'
At 10% ABV, the alcohol is almost completely hidden. I could drink these all night and not be able to know I was drinking such a high gravity beer from just taste alone.
One of the best DIPA's out there. Get it if you can.
I had to travel a nice little distance to get it but it was well worth it!

4.87/5  rDev +8.5%

I had the opportunity to taste (on FEB 2010) a one year old (2009) Hopslam next to a fresh (2010) Hopslam. And tested in the new Samuel Adams beer snob glasses to boot. Wow. What a difference. The 2009 had been stored dark, cool (cellar) and was VERY GOOD. BUT contrasted with the FRESH Hopslam it was considerably mellower with a smoother body, lower head and was of a flatter carbonation. The fresh Hopslam had a face slapping citrus bouquet and from the first sip it had a sharp and stringent smack of grapefruit right into the aftertaste. Wonderfully enjoyable for hopheads BUT maltbellies would be very disappointed. I think I've finally found a breakfast champagne beer to challenge my current choice of the clean and crisply carbonated Birra Moretti (urp). Here's to Bells!

4.8/5  rDev +6.9%

Acquired this from 321jeff as a gift for having a son. No Strings attached, what at guy. Thanks Jeff for hooking me up with such a wonderful beer.

This beer pours a cloudy, honey color with a one finger white creamy head that discipated quickly. Sticky lacing leaves a nice spider web on the glass

Honey, pineapple, orange and even apple notes are present. Oh, did i mention HOPS!!!!Sweet malts are also present.

I love ipa's and this is one of the best tasting DIPA's i've ever had. Its the East's response to RR PtE, but only second best ;). Sweet honey, pineapple, and mango flavors come out in front, followed by piney, citrusy hoppines that i oh so love. Nice lasting bitterness lingers as i type this....damn that's a good beer.

Medium body, moderate carbonation, sticky, oily and resinny on the tongue with a nice dry finish.

What can i say, this is a very drinkable beer, but I'm finding myself a bit tipsy, so i don't think its very sessionable. Its pretty strong at 10% and its shining through and not hidden as others have mentioned. Event though its strong, it does go down easily and is extremely well balanced. I have one more in my fridge that i cant wait to drink even thought this one is only 3/4 empty. I am accepting offers for trades now.

4.57/5  rDev +1.8%

Big thanks to Brian for bringing a case of this back to share from his recent trip. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a generic wide mouth tulip. Batch #9502

Liquid is a hazy golden orange with amber highlights. A solid yet rocky ivory collar rings around a bonsai-like design of surface bubbles. Fine lacing and faint legs.

Fresh, potent hops assault the senses: hemp, evergreen, mint, sweat, clove, along with faint tropical and citrus notes. The honey coes through next, adding a sweet fruity counterpoint.

Intensely flavorful - pine, tangelo, persimmon, and earth on the palate. The bitterness is well balanced by sugars - but the hops maintain a certain clarity with the sweetness coming from honey rather than malt. Peppery, zesty finish with lingering fruit and hops.

Medium-bodied, creamy, yet the bitterness leaves the gums tingling. Average carbonation which works well for this beer. The alcohol is disguised making this dangerous in the drinkability category.

Quite bitter, but the balance draws you back again and again.

A unique take on the DIPA that offers a thoughtful alternative to the whole West Coast/East Coast divide.

4.42/5  rDev -1.6%

First had this year's version on tap about a month ago at Tyler's in Apex, NC so the appearance rating is from then. That was the first time I've been able to try this beer and I enjoyed it enough that I went on a search for it and was lucky enough to score a couple of cases. I'm halfway through a case and am drinking one out of a bottle as I write this. Smooth with a nice sweet aftertaste. Slight, sweet citrus smell. This is an IPA that I could drink this every day if I could find it. Just great.

4.67/5  rDev +4%

got this beer in a recent trade from lerxst. thanks for this one big time, really enjoyed.

L- clear orangy with some reddish amber hints throughout . ther's arelativel thin foamy white head, probably thin due to the higher ABV. There's some spoty lacing, also probably due to the high ABV. good looking beer overall.

S- Citrusy, floral, tropical fruit hops are all in the aroma. very complex hop profile here with a nice backbone of some honey sweet smelling maltiness. great nose

T- Starts of with the honey sweet maltiness then moves nicely into the tropical fruits, then to the floral and finally to the citrusy hop finish with some nice mellow bitterness. Complex and very well layered.

M/D- medium-light bodied, good amount of carbonation. very smooth and mellow for an IPA of this ABV. would have liked a little bit more body, but can't be picky. i wish i could get this whenever i wanted, would be my go to IPA if it were available in CT.

Thanks again Lerxst!

4.37/5  rDev -2.7%

Drawn from a firkin at Macniven's, on 2/25/10. Served in a tulip. Reviewed from tasting notes.

A- Similar to bottled Hopslam. Golden with amber and red highlights. Almost no head, just a slight ring of lacing that is sticky as all hell.

S- Hopslam on steroids! So intense. Heavy hops, grapefruit, citrus, some honey and malty sweetness.

T- Good God. It's like UBER Hopslam. Almost as if it was mixed with fresh grapefruit, lemon and orange juice. So flavorful and intense. Fairly sweet but with enough hops to strike a near perfect balance. Almost with it was just a tad more bitter, but damn near on point nonetheless.

M- Just enough carbonation. Fairly syrupy but not too much. Really just pleasant, like a tongue massage.

D- This was so unbelievably good, but I don't think I could handle anymore than the three I had. But, if you can keep it going, I suggest doing so on into infinity.

4.07/5  rDev -9.4%

Had this on tap at City Bev in town. Poured into a Chimay goblet. Great bright orange color with a large frothy white head on top. Great retention; left lots of sticky lace globs. Scents of sweet candy, orange and lemon zest, pine, booze, etc. This smells as good as ever!

The body is a little thin still. I noticed this with the bottles as well. Crisp carbonation there, but could stand a bit more body maybe? Bitter citrus right off the bat, but melts to a warm honey sweetness. Alcohol is known, but it warms and soothes for sure. Great beer. Loved it both ways.

4.44/5  rDev -1.1%

The initial thing that hits you is the aroma. There is a strong ester of mango as soon as you pour this ale into your glass. That aroma only intensifies as the beer airs. However, there is no mistaking the strong scent of alcohol also. Not surprising, considering the 10% abv of this American Double IPA.

The color is a beautiful orange like that of a maple leaf in the Fall. The head to this beer has been consistently smaller than I would like (this is the fourth out of a 6 pack), but is the delectable color of toasted meringue.

The taste is completion of the aroma- strong esters and alcohol, but with it the wonderful bitterness of the hops. Surprisingly though, with a name like Hopslam, I don't find the hops as dramatic as some other American IPAs. The ale is brewed with honey and, though I don't find the taste of honey pronounced, the sweetness of the honey balances the bitterness of the hops. The aftertaste is almost floral.

The mouthfeel is pleasing. A nice bite blended with an understated carbonation and slight chewiness.

Overall, this is a great drinking experience. Sight, smell, and taste combine to make a deliciously drinkable beer.

4.48/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours a orange-yellow amber with a light white head. The aroma is full of floral and hoppy scents. Taste was actually different from the aroma. It started off sweet, like honey, but then the hops started to kick in as it went down. The alcohol isn't that strong, could barely taste it. Kind of surprising for a 10% ABV. Good thickness and carbonation. Since the alcohol wasn't that strong, I would almost recommend this as an anytime beer. But due to price and the 10% ABV, i'll back down a tiny bit.

4.72/5  rDev +5.1%

I've been tearing through a case of these for the better part of two weeks, so I figured it's time to write a review. Review comes from dinner on Sat, Feb 27. Poured from bottle into standard pint glass.

I'll keep this one brief as just about everything that can be said has been.

Looks pretty good. Not over whelming at all, but still stands out as a typical IPA. Hazy orange color with a nice thin white head. Exactly what one would expect from a high quality DIPA. Smell and taste is of super citrus hops, but where this one delivers is that taste portion. Not overly bitter, smooth finish with a perfectly sweet aftertaste. I've given this to people who have no interest in IPA's and they like it. Not overwhelming, just a great beer.

4.42/5  rDev -1.6%

Pours to a honey color with a decent head that remains throughout.

This beer is unique in that it is very hoppy yet very smooth. It seems to get better as you drink it. I'll be honest, I kept expecting more, and wasn't getting it, but then it hit me when I was about halfway through that it was tasting great and quenching my desire for a hop flavor. I wasn't slammed with hops, which is a testament to its drinkability.

Citrusy, hoppy smell... like a good IPA.

Poured from 12 oz. bottle

Look: golden yellow

Smell: Grapefruit, pine

Taste: WOW! A Hop bomb just doesn't get any better in my opinion. It's all in the balance of bitter and sweet. Punches you in the mouth with hop, grapefruit, and let's you down easy with a sweet bit of citrus and honey.

Mouthfeel: Strong at first, dryer in the end.

Drinkability: I normally space out the number I have in a night just since it is more scarce than most beers, but it tastes too good not to want one after another and another.

I enjoy it as much if not more than PtE, and think it deserves a place close to the Top.

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.