Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 1,907
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.

(Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
4.35/5  rDev -3.1%

Thanks to kirok1999 for this one. I've been waiting to try this for some time.
Pours a dark golden color with a big fluffy head. For a 10% brew, the lacing and head are pretty amazing.
Smells like a hop bomb...as expected. However, it's far more reminiscent of the west coast pineapple/grapefruit hops.
Taste starts off a little sweet, like more DIPAs, with all of the hops taking on the sweetness and showcasing their flavors. Lots of tropical fruits, citrus, and a little pine. As the finish kicks in, the sweetness carries through the whole time. I bet we have the honey to thank for that. It surprisingly doesn't end up as being too sweet and it really just holds everything together.
For a 10% abv beer, you'd never know it. The sweetness comes across as more of the honey flavor than a high alcohol booziness, and the texture is just great.
I polished off a bottle and could've easily had 2 or more. My wife finished hers inside 10 minutes. One of the most drinkable beers of it's strength that you'll ever encounter.

Cheers to Bell's with this one! I was pretty underwhelmed by Two Hearted, but Hopslam is amazing.

Domingo, Mar 08, 2009
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours a clear bright light gold with a small mostly white head. Smells only of thick citrusy hops that is reminiscent of a west coast hop bomb. First sip is all grapefruit. It is thick and strong with the flavor of Indian River grapefruit upfront and dominating. A bitter finish compliments well as the mouth puckering hop quality is so very loved.

ATLbeerDog, Mar 08, 2009
4.43/5  rDev -1.3%

Well, I am not what you would call a "hop head", so I normally pass on DIPA's, etc. I figured I would give this one a go, since it gets so much praise (despite 15 dollars a sixer at the local Total Wine in Clearwater).

As soon as you open the bottle you get smacked in the face with the hops (hence the cool picture on the bottle).

It pours a clear, golden color and produces an average white head and decent lacing.

First taste is extreme bitterness and then strangely enough, grapefruits of all things.

It fades pretty quickly and finishes pretty smooth with an impressive aftertaste/mouthfeel.

The alcohol is well hidden and much appreciated after a couple of these. I plan on grabbing another six pack for some cellaring.

Nice beer! I may have to rethink my stance on IPA's and DIPA's.

mfreire212, Mar 08, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -10.2%

a: clear amber with a light white foam on top and a center column of tiny white bubbles

s: spicy hop; zesty skuny hop; sweet citrus; grapefruit; light honey;

t: more honey; skinky hop; light vinegar; a hint of abv; dry grassy hop; citrus; light dust

m: very smooth; for a pretty substantial body there is like zero cloy-perfect in body /cloy for me; just a little bit of carb-perfect

d: i think that different years of this beer must be quite different; i found this to have a bitter twinge but overall it really favred the sweeter hop flavors all though there was ample skunk and zest; definitely worth picking up at the store

hoegaardenhero, Mar 07, 2009

Hopslam yes! Why not try this beer? I has everything you want in an ipa... plus more?

A- The normal medium orange that comes with all double ipas. Nice lacing that coats the glass with authority. Slight head that lasts about 1/4 of the beer.

S- Smells great. Very warm and inviting smell of hops, and grassy noles. Slight alcohol notes. Probably cascade hops.

T- Taste is very thick and malty with heavy hop bitterness at the end. Honey is well noted at the time of taste.

M- Easy to drink and if you love hops or think of youself as a hop head try this one.

Drink it! If you can find it! 10% hoppy goodness!!

wesbrownyeah, Mar 07, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +3.1%

Tried this for the first time. A 12oz bottle poured into my pint glass. It pours a darker goldish brown with a fairly small head, no bigger than 1 finger. The smell is very citrusy with a hint of pine needles. Upon the first sip, the beer is fairly bitter, and very citrusy and grassy as the smell would foreshadow. It goes down extremely well, better than I thought it would. The alcohol is there, but hidden very well for the 10% ABV. Mouthfeel is prtty bitter and acidy, in a good way. Overall, what a fantastic brew! I will definitely be back for more of these, when I have the money for them! Only wish they were cheaper!

HopEnthusiast, Mar 06, 2009
4.35/5  rDev -3.1%

A - Light amber color. Slightly hazy appearance. 1/2 inch head which dissolves into lace on the side of the glass.

S - Strong orange, grapefruit, pine smell. This is 10%? You wouldn't know it by smell

T - first sip was a strong grapefruit followed by orange/pine taste. There is a ton of hops in this, however, its not strong to just for the sake of being strong. I am no hophead, and this was no problem to finish unlike a lot of IPA's. Well balanced, again no sense of alcohol. Slight hop bitterness remains at the end. Can finally feel the alcohol as it goes down.

M - smooth, medium body

D - For one that is not yet fully into IPA's, this is definitely one to drink to enjoy the style.

dohastmich, Mar 06, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -10.2%

Batch #8912. Quite fresh - had just arrived from the distributor.

Pours a golden honey into a chalice with a one finger head. I'm surprised at how powerful the smell of grapefruit is in addition to the advertised honey. Some nice lacing at the start, but disappears through the rest of the glass.

Considering the ABV, I'm impressed by how many flavors are present. The primary taste is of grapefruit and citrus. Hints of honey as well. Some carbonation, but this one feels good on the palette - almost syrupy. Wish it wasn't so expensive.

In terms of drinkability, this is a one, maybe two, a night beer.

LJArsenal, Mar 06, 2009
4.25/5  rDev -5.3%

Thank you JoBoTo for the beer trade... I am from Oregon, and can't get this stuff anywhere... so I sent off some Hop Henge and Slipknot among others for this tasty number. 12 oz. bottle. Got more than I expected, and I appreciate that.

At first, I couldn't smell much when I opened the bottle.. but after I poured it into my tumbler glass...

Nice cloudy unfiltered appearance.. mild yellow/orange almost like a hefe.. great lacing all over..

Smell is of pungent hops, a bit of bread and rye.. not so much malt... I love that.. less malt, more hop... the better. That's why I especially like rye's I guess. Does have some sweet honey scent too... they must actually use a lot of the stuff! Save the bee's!

Taste is a robust honey hop delight, a bit chewy and sweet... but perfectly blended with some fine hops that caught me off guard. I though no beer could touch what we have over here in the great pacific northwest.. but this is good. I couldn't imagine what this ale would taste like though once towards the bottom of a keg... it's right at that point. Don't know how consistent it is... but its one to treat with respect and cleanliness. Great carbonation, and not nearly as strong tasting as the Alc. stated on the bottle.

I am impressed. Thoroughly.

Docer, Mar 06, 2009
4.2/5  rDev -6.5%

S = Strong pine aroma.

T = Like a big pine cone dipped in sap....and then the explosion of bitterness and sweetness. The finish has malty sweetness which actually balances this one out perfectly. No alcohol detected.

MF = Medium body with moderate carbonation. Super smooth and way too easy to drink.

Overall, this is one delicious beer. I don't consider myself a "hop-head", but I do consider this one to be a winner.

Riverwarrior, Mar 06, 2009
4.93/5  rDev +9.8%

This is one of the best American beers I've ever had. Hands down. I'm from Michigan (although I've never been to Bell's), and it makes me proud that beer is one thing my state does right. It stands up well to all other IPAs that I've been able to drink, including my all-time favourite, Deuchar's IPA. It's a shame this beer is only available in January and February. I personally have stocked up.

Appearance - beautiful amber colour. Exactly as an IPA should be. Not as dark as some IPAs, but it really looks like a beer that begs to be drunk immediately.

Smell - fantastic. Grapefruit, hops, a touch of honey. You have to appreciate the smell of this beer with each sip you take, or else you aren't doing it justice.

Taste - amazing for the win. I'm a bit of a hophead, but this beer makes me wonder if I should ever drink lagers again. Plain and simple. It has an extremely hoppy bite at first, but the finish is sweet in just the right way - not overpowering, but not too bitter at all, either.

Mouthfeel - creamy and smooth. When poured right, you get the perfect head and foam consistency. It should be served at optimum beer temperature, not ice cold - if you have one in your fridge, be sure to let it sit out for 20-30 minutes before pouring.

Drinkability - you will be surprised for a beer that's 10% abv. You can't even taste alcohol at all. It drinks more like a 12%, though, in terms of intoxicating effect. I swear - this beer hits you hard. Haha, but in a good way. Proceed with caution if using for a session.

Basically, if it's available, drink it and enjoy it. You won't be disappointed.

JPA5768, Mar 05, 2009
4.22/5  rDev -6%

Poured into a pint glass. Clear orange with a nice head and wonderful lace.
Fruity hop boquet in the nose, some sweetness pulling through.
The flavor is hops, juicy and big. Pineapple, citrus, pear, mead and malt all gather and dance on the palate. No alcohal bite until the very end. Sharp hop flavor but well done.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied and semi-smooth.
Drinkability is dangerous, since this beer drinks so easily, yet is so powerful and flavorful. Reccommended if you are into alot of hop flavor.

Stinkypuss, Mar 05, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +4.7%

this is one of the best beers for a beer lover to drink. it has everything one would want in a craft brew. for starters, the wonderful smell hopslam puts out. once you are lucky enough to taste it, the hops are definitely there, the smell and flavor follow all the way down into your stomach. with the high abv. i would possibly expect a less drinkable beer but quite contrary this beer tastes excellent and i would drink it all the time if i could

BLACKOUT0213, Mar 05, 2009
4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

2009 vintage poured a very nice gold color with an inch thick head. This has to be one of the best smelling IIPA's around with a strong fruit and citrus background. The alcohol is well hidden at first sip and the hops dominate on the way down. This beer is deadly but one of my personal favorites. Very highly recommended if you can find it fresh.

ROBORB, Mar 05, 2009
4.25/5  rDev -5.3%

P- Market Cross Pub in Carlisle

A- a golden bright orange color that is crystal clear. A sticky lacey head on the glass but its only about a half finger.

S- a huge blast of grapefruit hops in the nose. there is also some hints of pineapple and pine the come through and complement the grapefruit nicely.

T- a bitter grapefruit with alcohol laden pine needles and flavors of pineapple, caramel malts and honey.

M- smooth and creamy. Alcohol covers the inside of my mouth and it is a nice bitter flavor left behind.

D- A tasty brew and if not for the high abv i could pound a few of these back buti would be sloshed after 3. A nice beer to sit back and sip and enjoy during a movie night.

Dodo2step, Mar 04, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours a clear sunflower gold, with slight orange highlights. Head is a full 3 fingers of perfectly white foam. Head retention is moderate. Leaves sticky lace all over.
Aroma is thick with pineapple. Lighter citrus and a little floral and resinous.
Taste is big hops. Sweet malt body is very well done, light but enough to prevent any harshness in the bitter character. It even hits the back of the palette during the finish. But this is really all hops. Hops up front, in the middle and a nice clean bitterness that lingers.
Medium light mouth with good amounts of carbonation. Lighter than other DIPAs I've had, very nice. But still has that oily hop character which I enjoy.

For me, what sets this DIPA apart from the rest is the malt balance (just enough) and mouthfeel (light). It's a very easy to drink DIPA.

goatgoat, Mar 04, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +4.2%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip glass.

One of the absolute most beautifully crafted beers available today, the smell alone is enough to make a case for this being the best thing in the world. The mouthfeel is smooth and silky that belies the bitterness and is further offset by the honey sweetness added into this beer, which while it adds an interesting element to the beer, takes a bit away from the overall hop experience. Still though, this is one of the most astounding beers I've ever had the pleasure to cross my palate. And drinks far far lower than the 10% would ever indicate, be careful or you could see a six pack of this disappear in a night, even without a friend.

bluemoonswoon, Mar 04, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +6.9%

12 oz bottle purchased at Capone's in Norristown, PA. Drank from a pint glass.

A: Clear golden body with two fingers of fluffy white head. Steady stream of bubbles rising in the glass. Left some lacing on the glass.

S: Smell is a bouquet of hops. Notes of citrus, pine, florals and a surprise: pineapple. Maybe the faintest caramel malt presence.

T: Just as I expected; full of hops. Pretty bitter with a mild honey sweetness. Also has a noticible alcohol presence.

M: Medium to full body. Smoothe.

D: Very enjoyable. Although full of hops, it never became overly bitter. I liked the unique hint of honey that offset the hops. There is a definite alsohol presence, but never overwhelming. I would have given the drinkability a five if not for the 10% alcohol content that started to creep up on me.

Jerzdevil1116, Mar 04, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -9.8%

Pours out an orange color, almost amber. Very perfectly clear, with a 1cm white head, with minimal lacing. Looks just to style, I like the appearance. The smell is filled with fruity hops, and the honey sweetness is very present. There's also the entire range of hoppy smells in there, which is nice: orange zest, herbal, floral, earthy, leafy. Very nice, but not the most completely overwhelming nose of hops. The taste is very rich. I get loads of fruity hops with quite a nice grapefruit sweetness. The bitterness isn't actually overpowering - I can find some balance here, and there is plenty of hop flavor. I love the late hops. The taste of the honey on my tongue is really nice, adds a bit of complexity to go with the hops. The mouthfeel is right about what you'd expect, full of hops, nice carbonation, not much of an alcohol burn. I found myself diving back for sip after sip, and the 10% didn't hit me until the end.
I wish I could've gotten my hands on it back in January, but more than happy to have it now.

taylorhamrick, Mar 04, 2009
4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

pours a nice honey color without much of a head. it doesn't have a lot of carbonation, and the small head dissipates quickly, sort of anti-IPA of it. smell is great, has a wonderful piney hop aroma to it, maybe even a hint of mango to it, according to my fiancee. taste is really good, has a distinct bitterness to it of course but also has a strange mild maltiness to it, the higher alcohol content definitely warms me up. we just started to get bells in this area so i look forward to trying their other beers.

1fastz28, Mar 04, 2009
4.93/5  rDev +9.8%

Appearance: This beer pours a beautiful crystal clear amber with a pure white white fluffy head. The head settles rather quickly to a nice contrasting white lacing.

Smell: The aroma is of beautifully sticky citrus: grapefruit, star fruit, lemon, and orange. There are notes of floral spice of pine resin and dried orange zest. Along with these components is a beautifully balance sharp sweet aroma of fresh honeycomb. The aroma has beautiful depth and is pleasant to take in huge lung filling breaths.

Taste: Taste begins with a subtle but present clover honey sweetness that fades into a sticky hop presence on the mid palette. Flavors of bitter pine are accompanied by light sweet and tart citrus bite. As you swallow you are hit with a second wave of savory honey and a lingering hop bitterness that is firm but not overpowering. As the flavors begin to fade you are left with a satisfying alcohol warmth as the beer trickles down your throat.

Mouthfeel: This beer is medium to full bodied with a creamy slickness. The beer ends with a remarkably dry finish given the body and does linger or feel heavy on your palette.

Drinkability: This is a fine beer meant to be slowly sipped and enjoyed throughout the evening. That being said, it does not feel heavy on my palette despite strong flavors and body. I could easily sit around on the weekend and drink quite a few of these as I talked with some good friends.

Overall Impression: This is a fine beer that provides a wonderful balance between sweetness and boisterous hop character. The hops are definitely showcased which is nice to see in an IIPA. Yet, the induction of honey provides a level of depth and mouthfeel that adds to the complexity of the beer without taking away from the pungent hop character. This is without a doubt my favorite IIPA to date and I would recommend it to any beer lover, hop head or not, simply because of the fine craftsmanship that must be involved in creating such a fine product.

Jekster, Mar 04, 2009
4.3/5  rDev -4.2%

The smell and initial taste is similar to eating a good, pungent French cheese. The hops hit you up front and finishes sweet and runny, as opposed to the initial subtlety of the Stone Ruination IPA, which finishes more peppery and bitter.

The color does not impress, but the beyond the hopslam (pun intended) there are a bit more hints of grapefruit, pine, and honey. They run perpendicular to the promise made in the back of the bottle to be a "biting, tongue-brusier of an ale".

The alcohol is well disguised in the rewarding finish as well, concealing a 10% ABV with class.

Recommended for anyone who likes a powerful hop punch up front, but a smooth, honey-ale finish.

TLove, Mar 03, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip, batch # 8911.

A: Golden amber in color with some carbonation bubbles streaming up. Got about a one finger head that didn't stick around long, lacing was decent.

S: Wow what a smell! Piny with citrus fruits, and some caramel malt in the background, but mostly hops.

T: Another wow here! The hops grab you and pull you in, but that's not all this beer has going on. I do detect the honey, and the malt is here too. This is a fairly balanced DIPA.

M: Nice mouthfeel that's pretty similar to other DIPA's. Creamy, and a little oily but not overly thick.

D: Although I don't detect alcohol in the taste, at 10% this wouldn't be considered highly drinkable.

All in all this is an outstanding beer. Bell's hasn't let me down yet, and this one doesn't disappoint either. I'm glad I got a case so I can cellar some of this for a rainy day! So does this beer live up to the hype? In my opinion yes without question.

largecar73, Mar 03, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +4.7%

Wow... this was great. I had this one at Stable in St. Louis and it did not dissappoint. I have had out of a bottle and on tap. This, in my opinion was not too different. Like any beer out of a cask it was less carbonated, which is very good, and the flavor were more prevelant. Definitely had the grapefruit hop, and the honey finish on the end. I was lucky enough to get in on the ass end of the cask and the pour, and I do mean pour as the spout had been removed at that point, was like a blond mud. It was an experience that I thoroughly enjoyed and hope to get the same next year.

brewintheLou, Mar 03, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +4.7%

Bottle in the mail courtesy of my best friend.

A: Pours a hazy honeyed gold with a pillow-like head. Lacing prevails.

S: Dank, resinous hop aroma with pineapple/grapefruit, some malt and honey sweetness and alcohol.

T: I picked up a lot of sweetness in this from the honey, but it was far from cloying. It's interesting drinking a beer that doesn't really solely on caramel malts for it's sweetness. The hops hold their own against the sweetness. They counteract the sweetness perfectly.

M: Creamy, & smooth. This is one of the more full-bodied IIPA's I have ever drank.

D: This is 10% ABV?? Apart from the alcohol in the smell, this beer hides the alcohol really well.

gameface23, Mar 02, 2009
Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.