Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 1,996
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.

(Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
4.83/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured into a pint glass. Beautiful orange honey colored head with a big white head and a truckload of lacing.

Smells like ...SLAM! I swear a whole hop just smacked me in the face. Fresh, hoppy, a bit floral and tropical fruits burst onto the scene, grapefruit, pineapple, mango, the whole island. This is the hoppy, citrusy assault I look for when drinking a DIPA. Sweet, yet bitter.

The taste brings...ANOTHER SLAM! I'm getting my ass kicked by this one. Others have said it before, but I must reiterate - Like chewing on a hop. A bit of malt in the back keeps this monster together while hops and citrus dominate the forefront. This is 10% abv?! Prove it! Awesome, awesome, awesome.

My mouth is still numb from the beat down it just endured. Sticky, sweet, smooth, bitter. This beer is a paradox to my tongue.

I could drink HopSlam all night and then I would die a happy man. Some would argue that this beer is just loaded with hops without much complexity, but I dare those people to find many a tastier beverage.

*I have to drop the smell of HopSlam just a tad after getting a whif of Pliny the Younger on Monday. While HopSlam is a gem, that dry-hopped for a month goodness of PtY is just killer.

cassanoj, Jan 20, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured into a Perfect Pint glass. Has a 3 finger head won't budge! Extremely billowly. As soon as I started pouring I thought Wow, this smells like honeysuckle. Very fresh and moist. Nice.

Semi-clear golden color. Bubbles steadily rising to the top, but not over active.

At first taste, I have a hard time believing this one is 10%. It hides it extremely well. The bitterness, although very high, isn't unpleasant at all. It's got enough of a malt presence to not make it entirely one sided. The honey is there, but very very subtle. It adds a nice touch and I'm glad they didn't go too crazy with it.

Drank this one with my beer-chili and it was faaaantastic. Overall a very drinkable 10% DIPA. Marvelous.

billyb14, Jan 20, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +7.6%

Batch #9505 12oz bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Thank you Mr. Hoover for getting me a bottle while I am waiting impatiently for my own case to take it's good ol' time to get in my Beer Ark. So this being my first time to score a bottle...last year too little too late. I am pouring the only bottle I have. The hype machine is in full swing and the forums are abuzz with its overpriced, unavailable, overrated, not as good as anything brewed in Cali, gotta have it, can't get it Hopslam!

So it first glace she is a lovely mash of yellow with hues of gold. Amidst the beauteous body mad rushes of co2 race to the surface. I notice the fluffy cream colored head that has traces of lacing. I have brewed with honey and unless the brew has wheat the head retention is usually not this resilient.

The aroma is mostly hop forward in a piney grapefruit character. Stronger whiffs reveal a little alcohol along with faint traces of honey and grains. Well the first sip was quite a treat. I have been waiting for ever it seems for this moment to get here and I don't want to be let down. I am not disappointed. I find this to be quite unique in my experience with beers of this style. Tastes of honey with grapefruit pounding my tongue a slight heat from the 10% ABV. This is a solid ale. I can take large quaffs and I can sip it just the same. The hop flavors range from pine, grapefruit, minty, a tad of funky/skunky. The grain bill while seeming to be much more simplistic with only a trace of caramel, this body allows the honey to take on the other profiles of sweet.

With this many flavors going on at once it would tend to be a ale with a giant carry over of after tatse. i find this not to be the case at all. Hopslam finishes cleanly for an ale of this style. That can be quite dangerous for this bad boy.

llllDrGONZOllll, Jan 20, 2010

Batch #9505, Shipped on January 5th

Pours a very nice head to it, with solid bubble density.

Scent is very floral, with heavy overtones of pineapple. Color is a reddish-amber tone.

First sip has some very deep flavors. The hops are definitely there and are in full force. Aftertaste is very bitter, with a sense of the oily residue from the hops evaporating off of your pallet. That in itself makes it distinctive from other types of DIPA's out on the market. That combined with its distinctive accent of pineapple really blends to make one of the finer, richer DIPA's out on the market today.

With it's $16 price point, one may be hesitant at trying this beer. My personal advice:

Don't be.

techfed87, Jan 20, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I traveled 90 minutes, and showed up 3 hours early to try this....

Served in a Bell's tulip at Flying Saucer, Kansas City, MO.

I had waited (not so patiently) for this release for a LONG time! Appearance was a bright amber/orange, with almost no head. I think the previous reviewer stated that "all cask beers suffer from a nonexistent head". I will agree that there was no head on it, but I hesitate to say this golden elixir "suffered" from it.

This is a beer drinking experience that begins with a fruity waft as far away as arms length. The aroma is more reminiscent of a tropical fruit smoothy, than that of a beer.... but then again this is no ordinary beer! Without the punch of added C02 the nose is a little different, heavier on the fruit and lighter on the grass/pine, but like it was said before, just different, not detrimental.

The mouthfeel on this cask version is, in a word "slippery". The hoppy oils are there in spades, along with the hop bite we all showed up for. You WILL notice the malt and honey sweetness more in this "flatter" version than you will from draft or bottle.
I actually preferred the cask serving over the draft serving that I tried immediately after, although only marginally.

For me the drinkability of this amazing brew is actually enhanced when served from a cask. Not something that you necessarily need when talking about a 10% ABV hop-bomb.

I too, would like to thank the flying sauce for getting two of only THREE firkins in the entire state of KS! I'll keep coming back!

And Thanks to my friend Jim and his awesome wife, bro, and cousin for letting me tag along!

bigdonniebrasco, Jan 20, 2010
4.7/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured a bottle from The Foodery into a pint glass.

Appearance - Pours a clear golden, light amber color. About a finger or so, foamy white head. Beer left a strong lacing for the first sips, but began to weaken as I drank more of the beer.

Smell - Very strong hops, with a slightly sweet, malty background. You can faintly smell the presence of the honey they say is brewed in.

Taste - Hops, hops and more hops! What a great first impression. A mixture of piney, and grapefruit hoppy taste hit me first. As I drank more, I could begin to taste a subtle hint of honey. I was surprised this beer has 10% abv, I could really hardly smell, or taste that much alcohol.

Mouthfeel - Nice medium body. Not overly heavy like some IPA's with this much alcohol can be.

Drinkability - What a great beer! Something I will look forward to at the beginning of every year. A really pleasant beer. I wanted to drink a 6 pack at one sitting, but at 10% abv, probably not a good idea.

Serving type: Bottle.

sbw138, Jan 19, 2010

Dead horse meet stick.

Pours a lovely shade of golden orange. Thick off white three finger head has fantastic retention. Leaves lace rings you could snow board down.

Aroma is like a beer geek fantasy. Piney, grapefruit and oranges drizzled with honey. They should make this into one of those little tree air fresheners.

The flavor is much the same as the nose. Just the right amount of hop bombs calmed by the kiss of honey. Perfect for my money.

Medium creamy body with moderate carbonation.

Overall one of the most drinkable high abv beers on the planet. I managed to polish off a twelve pack of this over the weekend.

beerwolf77, Jan 19, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +0.9%

A- It pours a clear goldish brown. A beatiful color. Not much head but a strong rocky lacing after every sip!

S- Strong sweet grapefruit is predominant throughout your nose. Surprisingly almost no alcohol smells in this big 10% ale.

T- Hopslam says it all! The first flavor is citrus (mostly grapefruit) and honey. That initial sweetness is immediately put in check by tons of fantastic hops! This beer is made for hop heads like me! Great balance between hops and malt! Bells does most things right and this is another amazing creation!

M- medium body, not to filling. It seems this beer is made to fit the hops that inspired it!

D- Again this beer is intgralling! At 10% alcohol, you expect nothing but booziness. Couldn't be more wrong! I could drink this beer at anytime of year at anytime of day. It's smooth hoppy flavor goes down all right! Extremely drinkable and a great beer!

ArrogantJaron, Jan 19, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +0.9%

Like some other reviewers, I really hesitated to review this beer because after all, after 1371 reviews, do we really need another one that says the same thing as everyone else? This beer has chieved cult status in the community, I first had this one about (5) years ago but have never reviewed it on BA.

Pours a hazy bright golden orange color with mild amounts of carbonation, with a thick, creamy white head into my Bell's snifter. It's not totally clear because there are particulates in the glass which give it a slightly cloudy appearance. The lacing sticks to the side of the glass.

The smell of this stuff is absolutely amazing: thick, acrid, resinous, oily hops - it's euphoric in smell. The hops alo exhibit a strong citrus aroma blended with pine and a little bit of pineapple and mandarin orange.

The taste has a very distinct pungent, tart and acrid, citrus character. The only other beer I've gotten this big of acrid tartness is the Smuttynose Big A. (but we're not here to review that) Also pick up hints of honey in the taste but the citrus fruit dominates on such a level that it's off the scale. There's a touch of malty sweetness to offset the massive amounts of hops and adds just the right amount of offsetting balance. I've always been surprised that more honey doesn't come through in the nose, it's only on the tongue when it finally reveals itself.

Mouthfeel is atringent, a little sticky, medium body, and surprisingly finishes more on a citrus note than a bitter one. The hop aftertaste is mixed with sweet citrus, a little metallic-like, finishes in an amazing way. There's (in my own interpretation), no alcohol detection at all in the taste - it's absolutely amazing.

Hop Slam is incredibly drinkable but I could only have a few of these before I start to pucker a little too much and have to move on to something else. I love the flavor of this beer but the astringent citrus character keeps my consumption in check. I've had this on tap in the past and it's far better than the bottle. My only gripe is that whenever I get it on tap, the places that serve this incredibly delicious beer know exactly what they have (otherwise it wouldn't be there) and they charge a PREMIUM for small snifter sized pours.

The funny thing, I wonder how many of you are actually reading this review since there's 1300 other ones and if you're checking a BA score on this one, chances are you already know something about its mystique.

jzeilinger, Jan 19, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours a crystal clear amber color with honey highlights and lots of visible carbonation. Has a small fizzy head that dissipates pretty quickly leaving some ropey lacing.

The smell is full of sweet honey infused vegetative green goodness. Honey, sweet citrus, some fruity esters and candied grapefruit show through here. Kind of smells like the inside of a fresh bag of gummy candy.

The taste shines with green tasting flavorful hop oils, the kind that lend tons of fresh herbal flavor and not a tongue ripping bitterness. Some notes of honey, sugary grapefruit and non-astringent lime combine with a subtle alcohol warmth and a fair level of leafy bitterness. Amazingly balanced DIPA.

The mouthfeel is smooth, on the thin side of medium bodied and appropriately carbonated.

Overall a very well hidden high ABV, balanced non-cloying flavors and a less than syrupy texture make Hopslam seem heaven sent. This gives any DIPA a run for its money in the strength vs. drinkability category.

BDLbrewster, Jan 19, 2010
4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

On my latest outing to Abe's Cold Beer in Bethlehem, I was thrilled to find several "rare birds" of the beer world. Topping the hit list was Bell's HopSlam, a legend in it's own time.

A: Pours a transparent amber color with a fair sized, white head that left decent lacing.

S: Citrus, grapefruit, and honey aromas fill the glass.

T: A nice blend of citrus, grapefruit, and honey lead the charge. The up-front sweetness is quickly balanced by a serious biting hop flavor that is not for the faint of heart. A pretty nice blend of malt and hops, pretty excited about the balance.

M: Medium body with solid carbonation .

D: A terrific brew that is well deserving of it's accolades, a hardy well done to Bell's! the brewer's did a great job distinguishing themselves from the "west coast" DIPA style and still achieving a beer with serious bite and good balance. That being said, I was a tad disappointed, expecting this brew to crack the top 10 of my tastings, but then I quickly realized you can never be disappointed when you try a brew of this quality. This is clearly a must try, a classic well deserving of praise.

jdg204, Jan 19, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +4.2%

To be honest, I've seen negative reviews of this one along with the hype. Let me just say to begin that I've never met a food or drink critic (several of whom I know well) who didn't agree with my assessment. Just a disclaimer.

The color is a deep, slightly clouded amber-copper. A sturdy, dense two fingers of white head sit atop this brew, leaving plenteous lacing in thick patches on the glass.
The aroma is pure, fresh, clean, and raw. An abundance of hops brings out all the subtleties of pine, flora, and, primarily, grapefruit, with just the lightest touch of honey sweetness balanced by a caramel malt that's at a perfect level to allow the hops to take precedence without drowning out anything else. This brew possesses a thoroughly impressive poignancy and balance.
The taste is absolutely as balanced and just as pure, fresh, clean and raw. I've never had a beer that, while having such a flavorful hops presence up front, has absolutely no astringency or acidity to mar it. This is as good as balance gets, and I can't imagine a cleaner flavor. This beer is a masterpiece of brewing and a testament to the subtleties and intricacies of the art.
The mouthfeel is smooth, with a light nip to begin that gives way to a nice, not quite creamy texture. Carbonation is light to moderate and the body is medium to full.
I'd drink a dozen of these in a a sitting if I could, but the ABV forces me to be satiisfied with a couple at a time at most.

Brenden, Jan 18, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -6.5%

Apricot golden body, tiny hop flecks visible and a classic ivory creamy, spritzy cap. The nose is very aromatic like a freshly prepped bowl of ambrosia. Lots of ripe citrus in the nose, specifically tangerine and ruby red grapefruit. Small pine character in the background. The taste is crisp, hoppy and I could tell upon first drink the mouthfeel is superb. The label claims this beer was brewed with honey and I think I could tell that for myself even if they didn't help out with that bit of information. Hops, hops and more hops, well balanced though with a good sized malt backbone,pale and caramel malts try to balance the hop onslaught and do, almost, lots of honey encrusted tangerine, resinous, pithy hops buds, the honey gives a sweet, sugary parity to the beer along with notes of dried apricots. Mouthfeel is sharp, nectary and crisp. The taste is big but not great. I appreciate the boldness, bitterness, balance and power of the hops, it's just not amazing. I'll say it, it's overrated a little. Change the name from Hopslam to Bells Double IPA and this beer averages to an A- and doesn't crack the top 100 or garner as much hype.

natelocc787, Jan 18, 2010
4.7/5  rDev +4.7%

355ml bottle purchased by my girlfriend at Beer World in Largo, Florida.

Appearance: bright amber-orange hue with a solid white cap and several dots of lacing on the tulip glass.

Smell: grapefruit, pineapple, flowery hops, lychee, tangelo, honey, and mango. The Centennial, Simcoe, and Crystal hops just smack you in the face. Simply the most pungent and aromatic beer that I've encountered.

Taste: big citric, bitter and pithy hop flavours with orange zest, grapefruit, lemon peel, lime, and a pleasant, tropical fruitiness (passion fruit, pineapple) upfront. Malt profile imparts caramel and honey with a bit of cookie dough mid-palate. Strong bitterness lingers in the finish, but it's kept in check by a malty sweetness. A truly beautiful symmetry of bold, balanced flavours.

Mouthfeel is juicy, smooth, and oily with mild carbonation. Tingly and acidic hop spice hits midway with a crisp and clean bitterness and some alcoholic warmth going down.

Overall, Bell's HopSlam is one of those special beers that you only come across once in a while. An unusually drinkable DIPA with way more character than the vast majority of beers that I normally drink. Pure deliciousness.

cratez, Jan 18, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -8.7%

Poured from bottle into tulip. Lighter golden color and white head, certainly lighter than expected.
The aroma was unlike anything I've had before. The sheer volume of citrus, esp. grapefruit, and pine is truly unbelievable. I'm talking grapefruit smoothie. Great taste, the honey helps round out the malt, perhaps too much and just a bit too sweet for my liking, but nonetheless a pretty special beer.

DAllspaw, Jan 18, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Bell's HopSlam poured a very light straw-like color with a thick white head. It left good amount of lace on the glass.

A sweet citric aroma exploded from the bottle during the pour. The flavor matched the promise of the smell with honey and grapefruit dominating. The feel of this ale was remarkable, blasting the mouth with bitterness. It feels so crisp and clean that the alcohol content is barely noticeable, though it does sneak up.

My one beef with HopSlam is the color, which is similar to an every-day Lager. Otherwise, it can best be described as a perfect balance of sweet and bitter with each characteristic existing in the extreme.

MetalHopHead6, Jan 18, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

Pours a hazy amber copper red in a pint glass,the smell is floral citrus grapefruit hoppiness,well balanced honey sweetness and west coast hops make this a Classic DIPA,This one slide right down,mouth feel is silky smooth,The alcohol in this one is hidden and makes for an easy drink,This one is a sleeper at 10% you could have a number of these down before ya know it,this is one beer that leaves ya pine for another

jjhbrfdds, Jan 18, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +6.5%

This beer could easily be the prototype for what a double IPA is supposed to be. Thick two finger head that held up well with good belgian lacing. Color is a light golden color. Aroma is outstanding. Lots of nice grassy hops upfront with citrus in the background. Loads of dry hopping. Flavor was citrus hops, with a good malt balance. Could tell it was a high alcohol beer. Pretty much flawless. CO2 just right. Best Bell's beer I have ever had.

bigbelcher, Jan 18, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -15.8%

Figured I'd review this VERY talked about beer for my 50th review. Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a snifter:

Appearance and Smell:poured a bright translucent golden orange with a nice 1/4" foamy head without much force. Smelled of citrus and mango with a definite looming heavy sweetness which was probably the added honey. Mostly grassy and piney notes coming through from heavy hopping.

Taste and Mouthfeel:Very interesting mouthfeel to this thing. Pretty thick and creamy with plenty of initial sweetness.Tasted of grapefruit, citrus, and subtle caramel malt. Finished fairly dry due to how heavily hopped it was but most likely the added honey is what stuck around the mouth along with some biting bitterness.

Drinkability:I was craving an IPA and this satisfied my needs and then some. This was a unique one from what I've tried. This would be very intense if not for the added honey I'd have to think. I drank this nice and fresh and it let me know. Outside of the strange finish which turned me off quite a bit this was a thoroughly enjoyable beer. I'm pretty sure this was exactly the thing they were going for when they brewed this.

blackenmn, Jan 18, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

Picked up a couple of sixers at Total Wine and More yesterday for $14.99. Also picked up two sixers at BevMo for $16.99.

Beer poured orange with a nice white head that is leaving lacing behind. Nose is perfect, totally perfumed by citrus hops, even halfway into the bottle! Taste is sweet, citrus hops greet you kindly with sweet honey lingering nicely in the background. Strong malt backbone blends in to keep things nicely balanced. Mouthfeel is silky smooth from the honey and malts, a full bodied brew that glides nicely across the palate. Drinkability is perfect, the high abv is well hidden. The honey makes this a sweet brew but also makes it dangerously drinkable! There has been a lot of chatter about this brew in the forums lately and i can definitely see why it is highly touted!

arizcards, Jan 17, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

It's finally Hopslam release month, and it's time to review this beast. Poured from a 12 oz bottle into my Dogfish snifter. Poured amber, slightly gold in color with a thin white layer covering the top. It laced nicely on the sides of the glass as I drank it,.

Aroma is sweet and hoppy. It's very sweet smelling presumably from the honey and the hops are very citrusy with some grapefruit and orange. Really, a blast of sweet hoppiness is a great way to describe the aroma from this beer.

Taste is a lot like the nose, very sweet and hoppy. The hops give it a nice floral citrusness with some grapefruit, orange and a little pine flavor. The sweetness definitely sets this apart from a lot of DIPA's. The bitterness is pretty mild for all the hops in it.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is very good, especially for the abv%. it's very good tasting and easy drinking. I could drink this all year long if they made it.

Overall this deserves to be one of the top rated DIPA's in the world. An awesome beer that I'm glad I have about 14 left of.

billab914, Jan 17, 2010
4.85/5  rDev +8%

A: I've seen better and I've seen worse, but I have to say, Hopslam has a better then average look. This brew pours a golden yellow with a thick off white head. I wish I had poured this into my tulip to really get a good appreciation for the burlyness of the head.

S: Sweet hoppy goodness, it's like an explosion of tasty, mouth watering hops in your nose. Piny and fresh citrus fruity notes, with hints of sweetness that I'm sure the honey adds.

T: As far as DIPA's go, this one is one of the most palatable, yet complex and pleasing examples of the style I've ever had. IPA's present a problem of balance. Start your beer journey off with a bad example of this style, and you may never drink another IPA again. Start your journey off with a hopslam, however,DIPA's may quickly become a style of choice. It's obvious that the addition of honey gives this beer it's balance without disturbing it's hop characteristics.

M:The label claims that Hopslam is a tongue bruiser of an ale. I'd have to disagree. I'd say Hopslam is more like that lovely lady you meet at the bar that caresses you to buy her a drink or two. As far as my tongue goes, I've had hops that totally destroy my pallet, this brew leaves it begging for more. A silky smooth, medium body brew is such a delightful characteristic of the huge DIPA.

D: 10% alcohol normally makes me slow my drinking down to a sip and a crawl, this isn't the case with Hopslam. My pallet is in good shape, my taste buds are in awe, my buzz is in check, and I'll be happy to crack open another.

TKEbeerman, Jan 17, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured a nice golden hazy cloudy color with a nice fluffy white head that stuck around just long enough and left beautiful white lacing the entire way down the glass.

When I opened the bottle , tho ol' lady in the NEXT ROOM asked what the hell I had just opened. Can you say hops?. Holy crap in a dump truck, how is it poossible to have that much hops in just the aroma?

The taste is intense to say the least and I love it. There is some malt in there but nothing in comparison to the hops. The hops are like an Angus Young riff in the front row at an AC/DC concert while the malt bill is like some guy playing a kazoo in a locked closet in their dressing room. Kablam!!

Mouthfeel is adequate, however, for me I wish it was just a tad bit more oily to match the hop profile.

If you like hops then this is just the beer for you but to have more than a couple you would seriously have palate fatigue. This ain't no session beer. Also have it fresh!! It will blow you away fresh but it seriously will fade over time.

livewire78, Jan 17, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

Appearance: (4.5) Amber to orange in color, with a creamy white head that retains itself through each sip. Lacing is at it's peak, coating the glass all the way down.

Smell: (5.0) Grapefruit, pine, cedar, are most dominant on the nose, with a malt backbone of biscuit, caramel, and honey.

Taste: (4.5) Citrusy, piney, and pungent, this brew is a monster. Suprisingly, the finish is very mellow, with malty notes that balance out the amount of hops used in this beer.

Mouthfeel: (4.5) Full-bodied and viscous, HopSlam coats the tastebuds and leaves the flavors there for the remainder of the night.

Drinkability: (4.0) While high in ABV and IBUs, Bell's has produced a beer that, while in the Extreme category, is very easy to drink, and is by far one of the best double IPAs in todays market.

WYVYRN527, Jan 17, 2010
4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

Bottle of batch 9470 hardpoured into my DFH signature glass.

A: Hazy deep gold with a gigantic fluffy white head that quickly dissipates to a skim of tight bubbles. Some decent lacing is present.

S: Flowers and tropical fruit such as grapefruit/pineapple and a touch of pine.

T: Sweet honey up front followed by a citrus/pineapple attack finished with a suprisingly light bitterness (relative to the style of DIPA). The honey sweetness weaves in and out of the flavor.

M: Heavy at first, but finishing a little light. Not an enamel stripper, but leaves a gritty feeling on the teeth.

Drinkability: Good. HopSlam is not perfect, but it is the best DIPA that I have encountered. What also helps is that HopSlam is relatively cheap and abundant when it is in season.

Wadsey, Jan 17, 2010
Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.