Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 2,255
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
4.92/5  rDev +9.8%

For my first review I will do one of my favorite beers.

A: Golden copper color with a fluffy white head. Spiderweb lacing as the glass empties.

S: The aroma of this beer is incredible. Very piney and resiny. The citrus aroma smacks you in the mouth.

T: This is not one of those beers that is over the top bitter. In fact, it is the opposite. At first, it tastes sweet but that soon changes into a dominant citrus flavor with honey in the backround. Alcohol is very well hidden.

M: Not a very heavy or thick beer but definitely sticky.

O: This is a top 3 DIPA for me and I have had a bunch of them. I always look forward to the release of this one. I have had this on draft, cask and bottled and I would say bottled is the best. For some reason the hop presence flourishes when served in a bottle.

4.7/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this on tap at the neighborhood brewpub. It was my first time having it on tap. Pretty amazing....immediately notice the crisp and citrus hop flavor with an amazing honey after taste. So good it made me keep coming back for more...didn't realize just how strong it was though.

Then had it from the bottle a few days later and found them to be quite different. Bottle seemed to be less citrus flavor but more honey. All in all the best IIPA I've ever had.

4.62/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz. bottle poured into a duvel. Bottled 1/26/2011 - consumed 2/21/2011 - reviewing from notes.
A: pours a hazy copper color clearing up after the bottle empties. Fluffy off white head, good lacing and retention. Very resinous.

S: Huge hop presence, big citrus notes and a heavy pine concentration.

T: Fits the aroma almost perfectly with a nice honey balance.

M: Good balance on carbonation and a nice hop bitterness adds a little on the tongue.

O: Excellent brew from Bell's. I wish they would do this year round. Great DIPA.

4.2/5  rDev -6.3%

Had from an 12 oz bottle that was a few months old.

A: Golden color with a little bit of a white head.

S: Lots of pine/grapefruit you can really smell the hops in this one

T: I got a lot of grapefruit and the honey balanced things out nicely. Even at over 2 months old this beer tasted great.

M: Medium body with a good bit of carbonation

Overall this is a great year and I cant wait until next years release to try it fresh.

4.65/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Emerges nice deep golden in color which tells me I am going to enjoy this one. The color shows a lack of caramel color, therefore, a lack of caramel flavor (which I like in DIAP). Small white head leaves minimal lacing.

Aroma is very grapefruity, grassy, and quite piney as well. Loads of overall citrus with minimal malt aromas.

Awesome flavor and exactly what a DIPA should be like. Slight sweetness immediately, then leaves immediately, with some more bitterness up front and more in the back. Loads of grapefruit with the grass being a little more subdued in flavor as compared to aroma. Bitter but in no way out of balance. Absolutely perfect.

Perhaps a touch thin for most but I really like the thinness. Without the chewy maltiness, this is one perfect DIPA. Perhaps this and Pliny the Elder are tops in my book. Wonderful.

4.33/5  rDev -3.3%

finally I get the chance to try the legendary Hopslam! Ever since I started on this site I have wanted to try this brew. I can't wait to try this bad boy!

A- Hopslam pours a golden orange color with fantastic foam that hangs around the top. Sticky lacing is all over the sides of the glass. The brew almost glows all over the place. It literally highlights a hop fest that is on the way

S- no question, you have to quarantine this brew! The minute the cap pops off, the scent is flaring. Concentration of mangos, tropical fruit, and piney resin top off a good caramel and toffee whack of flavor. I can only imagine if this was fresh

T- very very impressive taste profile. The tropical fruit is absolutely catastrophic. This is a very unique taste for a DIPA that meshes with a caramel malt on the backend. I can't even find the alcohol! Even a little bitterness to keep the theme going

M- mouth is carbonated and full of flavor. The flavor from Hopslam literally coates your mouth

D- hands down, this is the real deal. Hopslam is so drinkable. It may be the TASTIEST brews out there. Great flavor all over. I am going to need to trade for this bad boy yearly

4.85/5  rDev +8.3%

Fresh 2009 batch poured a beautiful hazy yellow with thick white head. Aroma of strong citrusy hops. Initial taste is hot with citrus and grapefruit. Sweet with hints of caramel and left a very nice hoppy taste in my mouth afterward. Alcohol is hidden very well. An aged 2008 bottle mellows out the hops and hotness and makes for a wonderful taste.

4.42/5  rDev -1.3%

A - Golden orange with a fairly decent frothy head.

S - Holy Hops. And Hops. And more hops. Am I in a pine forest?

T - Just like it smells and implies, this is a hop slam. Piney, earthy, and green. If I were to expect a national forest to come up with a beer based on the surroundings - this would be it.

M - Very sticky. This one will stay with you until the next beer for sure. Medium/High carbonation.

O - Very good DIPA. I was expecting a slam of hops, and I got just that. Not as bitter as I expected, but I'm happy because of that. Seek after this fresh and get ready for the slam!

Bell's Hopslam is a lovely, hoppy and strong double IPA. Get it whenever you can!

A: Orange with a 1 cm head. 4

S: Hoppy citrus and bitter with some hints of grassiness. 4

T: Tastes likes liquid grass with some bitterness. 4

M: Pretty foamy. 4

O: Delicious. 4

4.87/5  rDev +8.7%

A: . It pours slightly hazed Orange copper color with a small white cap which disappears within a minute.

S: Tons of citrus, tropical fruits, pineapple,honey, and pale malt. Well balanced and sweet hop slam. Dah dah dah..

T: Tropical fruits, citrus (grapefruit, Juicy Egyptian Orange and lemon), honey, pale malts, and a nice alcohol flourish in the finish. A sweeter tastier Ruination mouth blast.

MF: Viscous body, silky juicy west coast hop madness!! Really the best MF of any IPA out there when on tap. Good carbonation.

Overall: My Favorite IPA of all time. Too bad its in and out like the McRib.. Needs to be an Unlimited Release!!!

Serving type: On Tap and Bottle. On Tap.. I polished off 4 or 5.. I was slammed..

4.42/5  rDev -1.3%

A: Got a bottle of this the other day. It pours slightly hazed copper color with a small white cap. Retention is good.

S: Tons of citrus, tropical fruits, honey, and pale malt. Well balanced and sweet

T: Tropical fruits, citrus (grapefruit and lemon), honey, pale malts, and a bit of alcohol on the finish. More bitter than I remember in bottles

MF: Viscous body, OK carbonation.

Overall: Really good beer I liked it alot.

4.47/5  rDev -0.2%

A: Pours a very light amber that yields 2 fingers worth of a white head which recedes into a bubbly film at the top of the glass

S: Straight up piney hops blast the nose and don't yield, followed a bit by pineapple, citrus, and honey combo.

T: Grassy, piney hops in the initial are balanced by sweet malts, followed by a lingering hop aftertaste. Tempered by some citrus and honey notes, though mostly a "hopslam".

M: Sticky, resiny, aftertaste lingers. Good carbonation, excellent mouthfeel.

O: This one is great. One of the top 5 IIPAs I've ever had.

4.79/5  rDev +6.9%

I've had this one for a while, but I just cracked it open.

A - Pours a nice clear golden color with a one finger off white head. The head does not leave that much lacing but it does have good retention. A good amount of carbonation is also coming to the top.

S - You can smell this one right when you pour it out of the bottle. It mostly smells of pine hops, but when given a bit of time to settle, the citrus hops add a perfect balance.

T - There is a reason why they call this Hopslam. There are some great pine and citrus hops that make a perfect balance. There are some great fruit notes such as pear, lemon and orange but the one that sticks out is pineapple. Incredible.

M - Great balance for a DIPA. While the ABV is high, the mouthfeel lets the flavors dominate and you don't even notice the alcohol.

O - If you want a great DIPA your going to have to wait next winter, but it's well worth it.

4.89/5  rDev +9.2%

This is great, Great, GREAT beer. Upon opening the bottle, anybody within 10 feet is treated to the wonderful floral, citrus aroma. The flavor starts light and sweet, but not for long! Shortly thereafter the hops move in, and not subtely either. This is a big beer with big flavor. I like to pair Hopslam with grilled venison chops topped with crumbled bleu cheese or BBQ ribs, as the big flavors compliment each other. This beer might not be for everybody, but those who like it, absolutely love it.

4.42/5  rDev -1.3%

Hop slam, I was thinking I would be overwhelmed with the tartness, citrus flavor, but I was in for a surprise. The pour resulted in a two finger head of medium thick slightly off white foam with moderate clinging lace. The color was a 6 on the SRM beer color chart and a bit hazy. The smell blew me away, not what I was expecting. Aromas of honey, flowers, citrus, a hint of toffee, and caramel. Taste is a wonderful shock. Sort of sweet to start with, flavors of honey, and caramel, then the hops come to bear with the grapefruit, lime, and pine. While I was focused on the flavor, the alcohol ambushed me like a mugger. Wow, I don't think I would drink a six of these, even though the taste would let me. I need more of this fine nectar.

4.33/5  rDev -3.3%

A-Light golden straw color with a thick white head that leaves excellent lacing on the glass.
S-Aromas of grapefruit and malt sweetness.
T-Excellent balance of malt sweetness and strong grapefruit hop flavor. Some obvious herbal hop character as well.
M-Fairly full bodied but what you'd expect from an IIPA. Light carbonation.
Overall, outstanding beer. The malt sweetness balances well with the prominent hop flavor. The grapefruit and herbal hop flavors mix quite well. A very unique and delicious beer.

3.83/5  rDev -14.5%

4/20 - Hopslam review and why the hells not. Perfect way to complement the day. Thanks for the trade Shuggy!

A: Pours a very clear bright straw pale color with some tiny tiny bubbles that tried their best to mature into foam. But that faded quickly swirling back into the glass. Lace struggling to hang on.

S: Some nice fresh apricot and peach notes are trounced pretty quickly by sweet malt aromas. Alcohol a bit evident here.

T: Some very considerable IBU's present. Peppers the tongue nicely. Hints of some fresh citrus and fruit flavors but mostly spice and piney resin hops. But the big sweet and chewy malts really come through and it finishes on the warmer side. ABV definite on the exhalation. Dont really taste the honey but considerably on the sweeter side of DIPA's.

M: Nice overall creaminess that finishes on the warmer side.

D: On the lower side of the spectrum but this one does definitely grow on you considering it is up at 10% ABV. Definitely a bigger brew with big hops and chewy malts. Very filling. Not too shabby.

Considering this bad boy comes available in a little 12oz bottle is pretty cool. A bit on the sweeter side for me to consider Outstanding. I suppose the hype is over its limited availability. A good brew none the less that I wouldnt mind recieveing again.

Now...where's my Pliny and a lighter?

Photo of
4.42/5  rDev -1.3%

Huge hoppy aromas emerge from the thin white head of this bright golden ale. Citrus dominates with undertones of pine, honey, caramel malt, and cinnamon. Taste is smoother that one would expect, with lots of malt to balance out a strong hops bitterness.

3.22/5  rDev -28.1%

Poured a dark orangish color with a good amount of white head on it. Smell is very heavy citrus with some honey and floral notes coming through - this is a very good smelling beer. The taste however left a bit to be desired for me. Nice bitterness from the hops but the honey and grapefruit flavor really turned me off. I don't know if it was too much sweetness for me or what. Mouthfeel was alright, light-medium. Overall I was pretty disappointed in this beer. After reading all the hype about it on this site, I was really excited to try it. I've had a few other IIPAs that I think are a lot better than this. I'd give it another shot down the road but until my taste changes, I won't be buying another 6-pack, that's for sure.

3.08/5  rDev -31.3%

Bottle courtesy from Kadonny, thanks! Poured from 12 oz bottle into pint glass.

Appearance is dark yellow with half finger off-white head. Significantly lighter than an average DIPA.

Smell is of strong honey and brown sugar. Some bready malt is noticeable with some east coast hops in the background.

Taste is pure honey, I'm not sure this isn't a hoppy mead beer. Some piny bitterness mid palate, with an alcoholic finish.

Mouthfeel is soupy and somewhat astringent. Feels like an iced tea that had too much honey added. I would have preferred a more dry mouthfeel.

Overall I feel like I either got a bad bottle, or maybe this beer is a bit over rated. I can think of many IIPA's I would rather have over this one. Too sweet for me, maybe I'll be able to try this fresh off the tap some day.

4.32/5  rDev -3.6%

Received from hophead101 in the Blind Beers BIF, and reviewed as such. This one was poured into a tulip.

Nice dark tangerine color, slightly hazy and topped with a one-finger head of frothy cream-colored foam. The bubbles recede quickly, leaving a medium ring and some nice horizontal trails of lace.

The nose is both hoppy and rather malty-sweet. I get mild orange peel, juicyfruit and mango along with honey and a mild breadiness.

The flavor follows the nose, with fruity hops leading the charge. Juicyfruit, mango, pineapple, light mint, honey. Notes of grapefruit sit on the tongue between sips. Nice, complex blend of hops. There's a heavy, sugary quality here mingling with the hot flavor of alcohol.

The body is a hefty medium, almost liqueur-like, with moderate, peppery carbonation prickling the tongue before the beer fizzes up softly as it moves around. The bitterness grips the sides of the tongue snugly but not with too much force, and the alcohol is noticeable as a beefy warming in the throat.

Hopslam is one of the sweeter hop bombs out there and I really like that about it. It's heavy, but heavy with flavor!

4.12/5  rDev -8%

Drank this one in early February, when it was fresh, but failed to review at that time for some reason. From my note on my cell phone....

Poured from 12oz bottle into a snifter glass. No bottle date listed but this was from the 2011 batch.

A: pours a hazy, orange color. Nice white one finger head. Mild carbonation. Great lacing on the snifter walls.

S: Beautiful, fruity hop aroma on the nose here! Some late malt sits below, but a amazingly fruity nose.

T: This is a hop head's dream beer! A nice mouth pucker'er. I actually drank one a little while after this one that mellowed a little bit, but this fresh one was awesome. Floral hops up from with that malt backbone that I smelled from the sniff. Strong pucker finish that lingers.

M: Total mouth coater! Really chewy!

D: This is a powerful beer. It's great that it is a seasonal surprise to have. This isn't a sessionable brew. I think this is a start your evening beer before you move on to lesser ABV brews.

Overall, I really enjoyed this beer! I think that there are better DIPAs out there, but this Bell's offering is extremely nice.

4.17/5  rDev -6.9%

Bottle into a glass
A- Bright orangish brown with a med. size head. Slight lacing.

S- Bittersweet grapefruit and orange rind.

T- Tangerine, grapefruit, orange, and other citric fruits!

M- Sweet up front before turning dry and mildly bitter.

O- This is a great beer but not my favorite for the style.

4.89/5  rDev +9.2%

12 oz into Goblet.

Not sure how fresh this was. I got it in a recent trade. Thanks Brandon!!

A: Typical IPA I suppose. Golden orange color with about 1 1/2 fingers worth of head. Not too clear, some hop haze in there.

S: Wow. I've never smelled a beer like this. Pure pineapple up front. It seriously smelled like I was in a Dole factory. Fresh pineapple juice, followed by a bevy of citrus fruits, with a nice malty backbone to hold it all together. World class.

T: The taste follows the smell. Huge pineapple/citrus notes with a hearty maltiness that kicks it towards the middle of the tongue. On the finish I got kind of a sweet hoppyness (which I suppose is from the honey) followed by a crushing bitterness. This thing made my tongue tingle. Outstanding

M: Full bodied. Very heavy and syrupy. Mouthfeel reminded me of Avery's Maharaja. Very thick and delicious. Coats the tongue with it's syrupy sweetness.

O: This was the first time I had ever had Hopslam, but I'm getting a few more bottles in the mail very soon. I can't wait for the day that Bell's comes to California.

3.39/5  rDev -24.3%

Batch 10196, bottled Feb. 8, '11.

Pours a light amber with a finger thick white head.

Lots of citrus upfront. Grapefruit. There's a sweetness to it behind the citrus that's heavy of honey. Really enjoyable aroma.

Sweetness really takes hold first. Can really taste honey (tons honey malt I'm guessing). Hops come towards the end but the sweetness doesn't leave much room for them to shine and ends slightly bitter but it's the sweetness that lingers. There's a small amount of burn from the alcohol but overall the 10% is masked fairly well.

Pretty average for the the style. A medium body that's mildly carbonated.

I had my hopes up with this one. I've enjoyed many of Bell's offerings (Two Hearted and Expedition are at the top of my list) but this one just falls flat. The sweetness, near cloying, leaves this brew far off balanced and while I enjoyed parts of it, the sweetness was hard to get passed. The aroma is really were this beer shined and I wish it had carried into the taste. I'm glad I got to try it but if I had to choose between Hopslam or Two Hearted, it's Two Heated I'm buying.

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.