Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 1,941
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.

(Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
3.88/5  rDev -13.6%

I received this bottle in a trade from alleykatking. Thanks Josh!
Poured into my standard pint.

Pale orange, transparent body. 2 finger, pale effervescent head.

Smells very floral and piney. I only catch a whiff of the honey, but the hops dominate.

Tastes first of sweet malts followed by the hop bite with a good bitter followup.

The feel is nice and light with a good bit of carbonation.

The twelve ounces went down incredibly easy. I couldn't believe how quick I drank the one bottle without even trying.

I previously had this beer from another trade but didn't review it because it had been in the bottle too long. I'm glad I waited for a fresher sample because age tends to make the honey dominate and it becomes a hoppy mead. If had fresh enough, the honey really helps to lighten the body and accentuate the hops. Very well done.

kinnaird, Apr 07, 2009
4.28/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 ounce bottle poured into a Duvel Tulip.

A: Pours a copper color with a slight haze. Leaves a small head with a nice lacing in the glass.

S: Unbelievable smell. No doubt the hoppiness is there. Strong smell of fruits and herbals. Something tropical, citricy and slightly sour (but pleasant).

T: Absolutely lives up to its name. You can really taste the earthy hops, the citrus and tropical notes, with a hint of a nuttiness. Tastes complex but very smooth and the strong alcohol does not overwhelm the taste. Typical of a good hoppy IPA it leaves an unbelievable aftertaste after each sip getting better and better.

M&D: It really coats your mouth with a smooth, oily like feel. Excellent feeling as its not that carbonated and really just right. For an imperial IPA it is very drinkable. You could easily drink several but the strong alcohol could sneak up on you if you are not careful. Easily that good.

An excellent version of the imperial IPA. A little pricy $15.99 for a 6-pack but well worth the price if you like a hoppy IPA. Highly recommended. Like many of the other Bell products...all really well brewed.

spycow, Apr 05, 2009

Huge thanks to johnmichaelsen for this one. 12 oz bottle poured into my Delirium snifter, Hopslam is a chill hazed pale orange with creamy off-white head

Smell is bright and resinous floral hops and sweet malt and honey. Grapefruit hops as well.

Taste is hoppy and sweet, very rich. Pretty decent hop flavor without a ton of bitterness, more spicy, and really heavy on the malt and honey (which almost seems like it was added after fermentation). I'd prefer a more floral then spicy pine hop flavor, overall it's a bit spicy for my taste in the style, a bit to rich as well. Oddly though, it seemed to get even more pungent as it warmed from fridge temp, and really started to grow on me. A nice beer that I'm glad I got to try, thanks again John!

Mouthfeel is oily, chewy and dry.

Drinkability is pretty good, it's a hefty, malt forward DIPA, but the hops are pungent no doubt. The high ABV is well hidden, mainly just coming through in the dry, spicy finish. At the end of the day it just wasn't quite my taste in the style, but I enjoyed it, more so when it warmed up a ton (which isn't normally the case with DIPAs for me).

ccrida, Apr 05, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +6.9%

Appearance: A deep golden color with light carbonation rising from the bottom. A medium white foamy head stuck around the edges for some time.

Smell: The hopp aroma hits me first followed by sweet grapefruit and a light malt.

Taste: Very complex. It begins like a grapefruit peel, a little bitter and earthy. It then gets more sweet but the slight sour taste lingers. The aftertaste stays with you for some time. Awesome.

Mouthfeel/drinkability: The carbonation and body are light. One of my favorite beers ever.

meatmallet, Apr 05, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +7.6%

No freakin' kidding!! I can see why it is so loved. This stuff is amazing. The tag is never a cheap one, but I can see a budding romance starting with this stuff.
Out of the bottle, poured into my pint glass... the color is just lovely. A somewhat hazy soft orange, and then a nice tall fluffy head. As you bring it to your nose, scents of citrus are apparent, and then warm summer day - the exact smell of a warm summer day. The hay, mown grass, warmth. The fluffy head retreats to some appreciable lacing. First sip.... Essence of grass, hay, lemons!!! LEMONS!!! and grapefruit. As you swish, and then swallow, more grass comes through, hitting you in the back of the throat with one helluva bitter swallow. That is what brings you back for another swig. I don't taste honey as much as perceive it.
The mouthfeel is medium-bodied, rich and slightly oily on the tongue - it is silky. No real carbonation to speak of.
This evokes summertime fun, with is grassy, citrusy explosion. The ABV is a shocker: You don't taste it. It goes down lovely and smooth.

Livelaughlovep, Apr 05, 2009
4.45/5  rDev -0.9%

A - Amber with a huge head that retained quite well and laced as it receded

S - Hop notes with some floralness

T - Distinct hop presence with a slight malt accompaniment. Hops are a mix of grapefruit and other bitter florals.

M - Perfect carbonation and mouthfeel.

D - I could easily pound these all night. Not an absolute hop bomb, but great hop presence. After having Two Hearted first, I was not expecting much, but this beer is exponentially better and completely different.

Martin2D, Apr 05, 2009
4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

A--Pours a golden/copper color with a slight bit of murkiness. Near white head was about a finger tall, although I don't think I gave it a very good pour. It recedes but doesn't disappear. Good lacing down the glass.

S--Simply amazing. Pineapple is the dominant scent, but there really is a whole mixed bag of tropical fruits present. With a tad bit of warmth pine notes begin to come through.

T--Very tropical hop profile. Not overwhelming yet still very bitter and flavorful. A bit of honey sweetness.

M--So oily that it glides down the throat and coats the whole mouth in the process. After it is swallowed a piney bitterness charges back up the throat and if you are lucky you get to have the most amazing hop burps!!

D--How in the hell this is 10% ABV I have no clue. Because of the high alcohol content I would have to force myself to drink no more than 2 at a time. 3 if its all I'm having. I could drink it all night based on the beer itself though.

Hopslam is unquestionably a world class beer and one of my favorites. It would make a great introduction to DIPA's as well since it is so easy drinking.

alcstradamus, Apr 03, 2009
4.93/5  rDev +9.8%

Served in a tulip from a 12oz. bottle.

A: Nice amber/orange color. I got about one finger of head but nice lacing remained.

S: Unbelievable nose on this one! Hints of pineapple and other fruits. I've never smelled anything quite like this.

T: If you love hops, and I mean LOVE hops, this is the beer for you! This is one of the most complex brews I've ever tasted. Very well balanced.

M: This is a little on the sweet side but just barely. There is a slight hint of alcohol at the finish but nothing to worry about. Nothing unusual for this style.

D: It would be very easy to pound several of these very quickly but at this price, they are strictly a treat for me. And yes, it's that good.

Overall: This may be my favorite beer right now, overtaking Surly Coffee Bender. Hopslam is drying up around my area so I may have to find a sixer to hide away for a rainy day. Excellent!

badmoon, Apr 03, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +3.6%

A: Pours a golden amber, I only got about a pinkys worth of head, but there's some pretty decent lacing. This beer has high turbidity.

S: All I pick up is some delicious smelling piney hops. I also get a hint of orange, but I don't pick up any malt. Just what I'm looking for in a DIPA.

T: Really hoppy start, I mean, REALLY HOPPY. I get a lot of the orange and pines I smelled, but there was one flavor I picked up that was kind of surprising. I got a hint of Pineapple which I've never tasted before in a beer. After the initial, hop slam, I get a faint smooth burn of alcohol, and it finishes with a strong malty finish. This is probably the finest beer I've ever tasted.

M: Pretty standard for an IPA/DIPA. Nothing surprising about the mouthfeel.

D: I couldn't see me drinking a lot of these, but at 10% ABV, I probably wouldn't need to.

Overall: This beer is rocks, I strongly suggest picking up a sixer.

DarbyOGill, Apr 03, 2009
4.85/5  rDev +8%

Poured from a bottle into a normal pint glass the head is great and lasts, two fingers. The color is hazy and a yellow orangish- golden.

The smell is of strong hops and grapefruit. Very citrusy, I couldn't wait to drink it.

The alcohol is very present but goes down easy with the hops falvor followed by that citrus. A great taste.

Its a great beer from a great brewery but its 10% so more than one would be quite a haul.

iuhoosier336, Apr 01, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

A - Cloudy like ice tea with a beautiful head that poured. I got about 3 fingers of head on this brew and I have to say it was a pretty sight to behond. Very nice lacing as well.

S - Pineapple and citrus. It was overwhelming and very inviting.

T - Definately a potent brew - I could taste the alcohol in this as well as the bitterness throughout the front and the back. Then agani, it's called Hopslam so I wasn't expecting to lack bitterness. The Taste of citrus comes through as well some muted sweet tones.

Mouthfeel - Just the right carbonation for my tastes.

Drinkability- I would rate this higher if I believe I could tolerate the bitterness beyond a few as well as the 10% ABV. All in all a great beer.

beerman207, Apr 01, 2009
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

Drinking as I write this. Just received in the mail.

A- Clear and golden orange, with very little head to speak of

S- A big shot of hops, and then nothing. It's as if the hops evaporated or something. It doesn't smell bad, it just doesn't smell like anything anymore. Maybe I should have gotten it colder (it's at "belgian" temperature right now). I just a trace of hops and some floral aromatics from the malt. I want to believe that I can smell the honey.

T- This is fantastic. There is obviously a ton of hops in this thing, but they work together very well. I get peach and apricot flavors. Pineapple. Some rum and honey flavor. I guessing that there are either some English or Noble hops in here somewhere, because I'm getting a little bit of grassy, earthyness on the tail-end. But in a good way. The flavor lingers for a long time. I'm sold.

M- The body is totally standard, if not a little light for this style.

D- This is a fantastic, easy drinking hop-bomb. complex and flavorful, but not as harsh as many lower ABV IPAs out there (Lagunitas, I'm looking at you, pal). I could probably drink six of these easy... which is a frightening prospect at 10%.

goatxpower, Mar 31, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Beautiful dark amber glow coming out of the glass on this one. The head coats the top of the beer heavily, almost like a lid waiting to be popped. The smell is so full of grapefruit and citrus is incredible. Very nice sweetness in the back too. This is my favorite taste in the world. Lovely hop oil provides a strong bitter citrus, but right behind that is sweetness from the honey that is brewed in this one. This has a great sticky mouthfeel, but goes down easy. Best drinkability of any 9% and above I've ever tasted. Amazing beer.

youngblood, Mar 31, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -10.2%

Acquired in a trade with alleykatking...thanks Josh!

12 ounce bottle with that great artwork poured into a snifter. This is Batch 8911 and according to the Bell's batch finder, it was packaged on 1/20/09. Comes in at 10%.

A-Pours a clear, glowing orange-honey color. Has a very minimal white heasd that dissipates into a small frothy ring. A nice oil slick of head remains in the middle of the glass. Has a nice stream of bubbles continuosly pouring up from the middle. Not a ton of lacing.

S-Pineapple. This is without a doubt the most pineapply smelling beer that has ever hit my nose. Would like to see what it smells like 2 months earlier.

T-That pineapple taste hits fast followed by sweet malt and honey. On the back there is a nice hop bitterness that lingers.

M-Definitely veers toward the sweet side rather than the dry side. I found it to be fuller bodied than most IIPA's that I drink. The carbonation level was good. Leaves a really nice coating in the mouth.

D-I had no problem taking out the 12 ounce bottle, but the sweetness and high ABV would limit this one for me.

It was great to finally try not only this beer, but also this brewery that I have heard so much about from my buddy who grew up in Grand Rapids, MI, as well as fellow BA'ers.
In fairness to this beer, I did try it 2 months after it was bottled. I look forward to trying one of these when the 2010 batch is first released. I have a feeling the smell and taste scores will probably go higher.

mjl21, Mar 31, 2009

Bottle thanks to mreusch. Pours a slightly cloudy orange with a small white head. Aroma of hop oils, citrus, and grapefruit. Flavor is sweet and malty with lots of citrus hops. Full-bodied and not too sticky/sweet as some IIPAs tend to be. Hopslam lives up to its reputation. Quite tasty!
8/4/8/4/16 (4.0/5)

LilBeerDoctor, Mar 31, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +4.2%

Was fortunate enough to catch this beer on cask @ the Buckeye Brew Engine. Poured into a snifter.

A- Compared to the bottled and on-tap version, this was one of the more notable differences. Had an absolutely amazing head that just laced the sides of the glass as it was consumed. There was a clear line of distinction as the head sat on top of the body of the beer, almost like someone had a straight edge and just plopped the head right on there. Of course the color was wonderful with nice amber hues.

S- Great scent that resembled a bouquet of piney and citrus hops.

T- Tastes were similar to the on-tap version. Followed the nose with a nice mixture of bitter pine hops and citrus fruit feel.

M- By far the difference maker in this beer. Unlike other versions, this beer on cask had an amazing creamy, full mouthfeel that is wonderfully complimented by its great taste. Just a completely different experience and vastly improved the beer in my opinion.

D- Hmmm....I drank 3 snifter in under a 45 mintues. Probably the most drinkable DIPA I have ever had.

If you get the opportunity, try this beer on cask! It's a completely different experience and puts it in the ranks of PtE and PtY, maybe even better. Of course, if PtE or PtY were on cask....

rhinos00, Mar 30, 2009
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

The nose on the beer is piny, with a slight resinous hint. There is also a huge amount of citrus/grapefruit that come through at the end. The beer has a nice dark gold colour with a nice centimeter head. The flavour of the beer is immense; there is a huge bitterness with a great citrus/grapefruit flavour. The fruity flavours are balanced with a sweetness that comes from the honey. These flavours come through initially, but the end of the beer flavours is quite spicy/resiny. There is a great balance between the flavours.

The mouthfeel is a bit thin for a IIPA, but the beer is okay in the drinkability aspect. Since the mouthfeel is a bit thin, the beer is a bit too watery, which takes away from the awesome flavour of the beer.

swizzlenuts, Mar 30, 2009
4.9/5  rDev +9.1%

12 oz bottle purchased as part of a 6 pack by my friend that we split. It was purchased in Bowling Green, KY and poured into a Hennepin Tulip to help concentrate the aroma.

A: A nice clear light yellow with orange tinting. Not much head to speak of. There is just a wispy covering of bubbles. No real lacing to speak of. Not a big surprise based on the ABV.

S: Pineapple, Grapefruit, and many other citrus aromas slap you in the face when you get close to the glass. What a beautiful hop aroma.

T: See the smell category! Just an absolute explosion of hop flavor in the mouth. Pineapple and grapefruit flavors are the most prevalent. There is also a bit of a sweetness that I assume comes from the honey. This one lives up to the hype. I am so glad that next year we should be able to buy this excellent brew in GA.

M: It is a bit of thinner that I would typically like, but it works well with the rest of the parts of this one. It is incredibly smooth due to an excellent in mouth carbonation level.

D: There is no reason why this one should be this drinkable. You would think the ABV and truck load of hops would make it a sipper. With that said, it might be the most drinkable DIPA I have ever had. It is like alcoholic fruit juice.

What a masterpiece of a beer!

GatorBeerNerd, Mar 29, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +4.7%

A - Eggshell white head standing a couple inches tall. The body is hazy, burnt orange with no carbonation. The lacing is unbelievable.

S - Hops to beat the band! Not too bitter but sweet pineapple on top of robust hops.

T - Piney hops throughout with hints of grapefruit and apricot.

M - Lovely mouthfeel. It's wet, which normally I'm not very fond of in a hoppy beer. This, however, maintains its great taste even with a smooth texture.

~ The 'head' is great. I'm thoroughly impressed with the all-around greatness of this beer. My very sincere thanks to drizzam for what he calls, "sharing."

And by the way drizzam, nice ride this morning through the icy winter wind. Brr!

cdkrenz, Mar 28, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +7.6%

A - Pours to a two-finger off-white lasting head. The body has a somewhat cloudy light orange color. Excellent lacing which leaves rings around the glass as you savor every sip.

S - Wow...that's hoppy! A magnificent aroma of grapefruity hops.

T - The taste is just as exciting as the aroma. When you sip this one you know you are tasting something special. An excellent ale that has just become one of my favorites.

M - A good hop bite on the sides of the tongue with a hint of honey sweetness on the tip of the tongue.

D - This one may not be considered drinkable by everybody but for hop lovers it's a very enjoyable ale. Definitely worth having again even though it's a bit pricey.

hoppyhobby, Mar 28, 2009
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

12oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: 1" of white foamy head sits above a burnt, rusty orange colored body.

Aroma: Hops, Hops, HOPS!!! Very citrusy with a wee bit of sweetness (maybe from the honey?)

Taste: For a beer with such a hoppy aroma, it's incredibly well-balanced. Hops & malt come together quite well. A bit of sweetness enhanced by the honey.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, moderate carbonation. The ABV gives a little bit of a kick as well.

As noted in the taste section, I was quite wowed by this beer. I thought it was going to be a big ol' hop-bomb... but it turns out it isn't nearly as harsh as I expected - in fact it's nowhere near what I expected. An IIPA of incredible balance and utmost flavor. Delicious!!

tim9887, Mar 28, 2009
4.35/5  rDev -3.1%

Reviewing this brew at 6:00 pm on 3/27/09 for the nation-wide toast of the beer hunter, Michael Jackson, in honor of his birthday. (He passed way too early, and is now in that micro-brewery in the sky.)

Thanks to Bells Batch identifier at bellsbeer.com, I found out my individual bottle was packaged on January 13th, 2009.

Appearance - Poured into my favorite european beer glass...gorgeous off white head with marvelous retention. Billowy and fluffy, it doesn't want to go away, and leaves excellent lacing. The brew itself is a cloudy dark orange color.

Smell - Smells like I took a pineapple right out of the produce section of the supermarket and squeezed it into my mug. also, it seems like I get a whiff of grapefruit rind as well. The grapefruit actually comes out even more as it warms. Very nice bouquet.

Taste - The initial taste I get is that of grapefruit rind, followed by an intense piney, hoppy afterbite. This is my first IIPA and it isn't as bitter as I expected it to be. I'm glad it isn't actually. There is an excellent balance between the fruit and the hop... they play nicely together.

Mouthfeel - Silky smooth and medium bodied. Leaves a hoppy aftertaste, but not as bitter as expected.

Drinkability - This is a tasty selection from Bells. The $15 for a sixer seemed a little high at first, but you get what you pay for. 10% ABV will preclude this from being a session brew, but it is quite the tasty number when taken in moderation. Very impressed!

drizzam, Mar 27, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +7.6%

The back label of this bottle tells me I'm in for "a biting, bitter, tongue bruiser of an ale". I can't wait.

Appearance: Poured out of a 12 oz. bottle into a snifter. There is no freshness date on the bottle, but there is a batch code (8949) along with a clever picture of a man being crushed by hop cones that is very reminiscent of the Wicked Witch of the West after she got owned by a house. This beer pours a dark, golden-amber color that has incredible clarity when held up to a light. A large, off-white head appears on the surface of the beer and is supplemented by very small, but frequent, bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass. The head has incredible staying power and a thin layer covers the surface of the beer all the way down.

Smell: This beer smells like walking through a hop farm. It has an intensely aromatic, citrusy nose with punch-you-in-the-face aromas of orange, grapefruit, pineapple, mango, papaya, and other tropical fruits. Bell's Hopslam Ale smells like a super rich and acid tropical punch, and has enough aromatic qualities to make Hawaiian Punch and Hi-C go cry to their mommies. I won't be surprised if I never smell an Imperial IPA better than this.

Taste: My first thought was, 106 IBU's? I don't believe it. Followed by, wow, what an absolutely incredible Imperial IPA. This beer starts off with a wonderful honey flavored sweetness and soft, pillowy texture akin to eating a fresh sugar cookie drenched in honey. I have the malt to thank for that. After that, however, the hops kick it into high gear and really bring this one home with an intense hop flavor that screams Pacific Northwest and C-hops. As in the aroma there are notes of orange, grapefruit, and pineapple, and this leads to a sweet, citrusy, and bitter finish. The grapefruit taste is perhaps the strongest, and it brings back fond memories of drinking Ruby Red Grapefruit juice and my grandparent's house during my summers in Florida.

Mouthfeel: This is a very smooth, robust, and full-bodied Imperial IPA. Medium carbonation, but the bubbles are so small and soft that it's really quite pleasant to swirl them around the mouth. No astringency, no watery-ness, nothing bad to say about the mouthfeel of this beer.

Drinkability: Obviously Imperial IPA's aren't the most drinkable beers out there, but this beer still manages to be much more drinkable than some of the others on the market. The honey imparts a smoothness and sweetness that does wonders for the overall character of this brew, and this is one fine, and highly-drinkable, Imperial IPA.

Notes: BJCP style guidelines for an Imperial IPA inform me that this is a "showcase for hops", and I have to agree. Never before, however, have I had hops that have been showcased with this much finesse and beauty. Don't get me wrong, this is still an Imperial IPA that can compete with the best of them in terms of bitterness, but Bell's Hopslam Ale also has enough of a sweetness and smoothness to keep me coming back for bottle after bottle. For a huge malt fan like me, that's saying quite a lot.

johnmichael712, Mar 27, 2009
4.15/5  rDev -7.6%

Pours golden colour with gorgeous off-wite head. Smell - hoppy, fruity (pears, grapes), some citrusy flavours. Taste - hops and hops only, lots of them, but it is not as bitter as I expected. alcohol is hidden very well. pretty smooth, very flavourful, gerat stuff. Dangerously drinkable.
Thanks a lot TATURBO for this great brew!

Voonder, Mar 27, 2009
3.88/5  rDev -13.6%

This is a great Double I.P.A. in my opinion, the touch of honey gives it a great balance. I drank this one straight out of the bottle as i was too anxious to try after all the good things i've heard about it. I was a bit underwhelmed by it though. It didn't excite my tongue as much as it excited me to try it. It was extremely hoppy but didn't give me the west coast grapefruity and piney taste that i love. It may be a little too syrupy (too malty) for my taste. I have definately had better double IPA's, But overall i was very pleased with it and didn't have a problem finishing the case off with a few buddies.

HopHedz, Mar 27, 2009
Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.