Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 2,259
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
4.42/5  rDev -1.6%

Bought a case of bottles,

Beautiful fairly clear reddish amber, white head

Smells great, Aroma of west coast hop varietys

Tasets great, well balanced for such a hoppy beer, hops are pleasant and not overly bitter, has a smooth after taste, great mouthfeel

overall i thought this beer would be more hype, but I found out is it is worth all the hype, one of the only ipas I could drink a few, just watch out, very strong

OMFG... Best DIPA I have ever had and I want more. Dear Belle's please distribute in our state so that I may have this when ever I want and not have to lug it back from business trips! But I digress.

Would like to have it on draft to see how it compares to a bottle I imagine it only would get better!

4.38/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

(Taken from notes over spring break)

Had this on draft at Deckard's American Tavern in Atlanta, GA while visiting my girlfriend. Beer was served at the proper temperature in a tulip.

A--Bright orange with slight carbonation bubbling up from the bottom. Thin white head that had a sticky retention throughout the drink.

S--Hops. The first sniff produced a waive of hops that washed over my entire nasal cavity. That was followed with the fresh scent of pine that was very reminiscent of freshly cut grass, or a forest. Points deducted because of the sweet, syrupy scent that was also detected when I smelled it.

T--One of the best DIPA that I have ever tried. Follows perfectly with the style. The hops wash over the palate first, followed by the piney taste, but the sweetness on the back of the tongue lasts a little too long for what I like. The final drink of the beer was almost undrinkable for me. It was so overly sweet and syrupy that I almost spit it out. That was the most unappealing trait of the beer, very disappointing.

M--Great for the style. The tongue was harshly beaten by the hops in this beer, but the sweet syrup finish placated the uncomfortable feeling the hops produce. Personally, I love the feeling of hops on the tongue, and to me that really made this beer.

O--This beer lived up to the hype for me, but it was not the best DIPA I have ever had. To be honest, I would not actively seek this out again, but I would never pass it up if it were available.

4.38/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Deep golden body with a fluffy white head
S- Grapefruit, sweet malt, pine resin, and honey. Superbly invasive.
T- Alcohol upfront, with grapefruit, pine, honey. Intensely bitter on the finish.
M- Very interesting in the mouth. A bit dry from the Abv. There's definitely a lot going on. Maybe a bit oily.

4.42/5  rDev -1.6%

Appearance: Two fingers worth of head when poured and diminished quite quickly while leaving lacing behind. The foam appears to be slightly creamy. The beer itself is a clear copper.

Smell: I can smell a mixture of hops and honey laced with some sweet malts. The hops border more on the piney while the honey adds a nice sweet touch to it

Taste: Mouthgasm. I like the mixture of the bitter hops and the sweetness of the honey. The hops hit the tongue first and finishes with the sweet honey.

Mouthfeel: Light carbonation on the tongue. A pretty smooth drink with a silky feel. I noticed how the beer is slightly heavier than other ones that I've had.

Overall: MOUTHGASM!!! Worth the money. Worth the hype. I'm thinking about aging this just to see what happens when the hops are gone. Or I may just drink it.

4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

As I sipped on this, it reminded me of my general thought of books and movies. The books [original] is always better than the movies [which are still good]. Thus was the case with the Hopslam, as I recently had a bottle and thought it was good..but nothing beats having fresh off the tap, in the house that created it!

4.57/5  rDev +1.8%

Wow, what a beer this is! Beautiful in color, pours out a light golden copper with a head the sticks around till the last drop. The flavors are so luscious of fresh hops and honey the are juicy up front that dry you out making crave more. This is one great IPA!

4.84/5  rDev +7.8%

A- At first a thinner head than I was expecting so I worked the second half of a bottle a bit harder to get a nice two finger head. While softly milky it melted away faster than I expected. Sadly the head disappeared before I finished this review and the last 4 ounces.

S- Maybe my nose is off, but it smelled completely like grapefruit and peaches. Sorry, in my experience no pine, no floral notes. Fruit salad fun.

T- This beer is intoxicatingly mutliple personality. Its like drinking two completely different beers at once. Devil hop, and angel honey. 10% ABV? You must be kidding...No I feel suddenly VERY relaxed. They aren't kidding.

M-Again my pallet may be mixed up but I felt the slight tinging of a raw March wind on my tongue followed by smooth silky bee poo.

O-I bought a single and will be calling my favorite libation retailer to reserve a 12 pack. Yeah to Bells, another great brew from a great Midwestern Brewery

4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

A- pours a golden resin yellow. A half finger of try white foam tops it and then dissipated.

S- a tropical glass of citrus, mango, panama, grapefruit and pineapple. Sweet and sharply bitter.

T- grapefruit from the hops is most dominsnt, but a hint of pineapple is discernible. The tail end of the brew has ings of evergreen pine and a pleasant bitterness.

M- dry and sweet on the front end, syrupy and juicy on the back end. Almost like biting into a ripe piece of grit.

D- there is no question that this beer is about the hops, and it delivers. Not in a crushing bitter way, but in an amazingly aproachable balanced way that showcase the many flavors of hops.

4.3/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle into tulip. This beer is top-notch, although the hop-lover in me sheds a silent tear every time I enjoy one (and enjoy them I do), because the top-tier hops combination is slightly masked by the honey, which detracts ever so slightly from what makes me appreciate the best double ipa's. Nevertheless, its drinkability is outstanding for an imperial, and I truly enjoy what is becoming Bell's most sought-after beer on the market.

4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

My cousin, Uhrhan was able to get his hands on a case and split it with me. Thanks! Had my first Hopslam and first Abrasive today! Lucky me.

Poured from 12 ounce bottle into my Schlafly snifter.

A - Orange, hazy, white 1-finger head that dissipates to a small cap that remains. Lots of lacing and stickiness to the side of the glass.

S - Fruity, grapefruit, pine, grass, floral, honey. I get it all. Yum.

T & M - Very similar to the smell. Get a lot of the honey up front, some hops bitterness kicks in and finishes smooth. Medium, chewy body. Alcohol is not present at all - pretty nice for a 10% ABV.

Overall - a great beer and well worth the wait. I thought it was very similar to Abrasive, but fell a little short of PTE.

4.4/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Batch 10126.

A: Pours a pleasant honey gold with a foamy, tan head with good retntion and very good lacing.

S: Grapefruit, honey, grass, and a peppery aroma. Complex and inviting.

T: The honey is intense up front. Floral and fruity flavors follow and then the bite of the earthy hops. The hops lingers but isn't out of balance or control. An alcohol taste lingers at the back end at times that seems a bit out of balance as compared to other top tier craft brews.

M: Full bodied with the honey seemingly thickening this brew. Creamy, almost chewy at times. Dryness and an alcohol bite come in after the smooth, creamy honey.

O: I was looking forward to trying this based on all the hype it receives on BA, and I wasn't let down. The presence of the honey doesn't make this a particularly drinkable beer for me because my palate doesn't enjoy beers with much sweetness. But the complexity, uniqueness, and execution of the style is undeniable. A great beer.

All 5's.

I know, I know, it's rare, but this is wonderful.

Pours a beautiful gold into a Sam Adams Better Beer glass. Aroma is floral, almost sweet, but not too sweet. Another sniff brings out some pine, maybe some grapefruit, some honey.

First sip is great. It doesn't bite, like expected, but comes off a little sweet. It's sweet, a little floral, not bitter at all.

The alcohol level (10%) is nonexistent. This is a consistently smooth beer, but at the same time, you know what you're drinking, so you don't get stupid drinking a ton of it.

Mouthfeel is wonderful. It's slightly bubbly, not too much, and it leaves the mouth slightly dry.

This beer is beautiful. The price though, it's steep. $20 a 6 pack is pretty outrageous. If you can, grab a bottle, and savor.

4.67/5  rDev +4%

Batch 10126

A: A deep, rusty gold with white head. Decent lacing down the glass. May be my glass, but there is the slightest hint of green (or maybe it is just me?)
S: Amazing! Honey and citrus had a beautiful collision in my nose.
T: Very hoppy, but not overly bitter. Vary good balance of hops and honey (which one can definitely taste). Absolutely no booziness at all, which is very surprising considering the 10% abv. Great flavor stays in mouth a long time.
M: Good amount of carbonation. Feels nice in the mouth. Pretty smooth as well, but not exceptionally so.
O: Great brew that I would love to have again and again if only I could get my hands on it. So far, in my limited beer Odyssey, this is the best beer I have ever had.

4.95/5  rDev +10.2%

This is one of my all time favorite beers!

I first fell in love with this seasonal delight 4 years ago, and love looking for it around the first of every year.

The appearance is beautiful, a dirty golden

The smell of hops, and honey take over as the beer nears your mouth

The taste of Honey, and the hops its more powerful than the 10% ABV taste, and is one of the many reasons I love this beer

Grab one up any time you see one!

4.67/5  rDev +4%

A buddy of mine smuggled be a bottle from PA and the results were great. Not as hoppy as I thought it would be. Very smooth finish. Full body. I assume the honey used in the wort reduced the hoppy bite finish. Exceptional taste. Great beer. Best IPA I have had.

4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

2011 Vintage. Batch 10126 Bottled 1/18/11

A: A fantastic pour. Golden color with 1 finger of white, foamy head. Poured into a Bell's tulip

S: Fresh honey, piney, resiny hops. Fills the olfactory glands with glee

T: Sweet honey, pine hops and a bit of malt to balance it all. Finish sticks around and makes you happy

M: Heavy, but not really. Pulls you both ways. For 10% ABV, deception is the name of the game.

O: 2 months later, the hop fade is a lark. This is as good as the hopslam I drank on Jan 31st. Fantastic beer

4.82/5  rDev +7.3%

It pours a golden hue in the pine class, There isn't a lot of head to this one and the foam that does show, only sticks around for a few seconds. Very clear and almost transparent.

Smell - I get a whole hop smell with some honey/Citrus sweetness to it. Its smells spectacular.

Taste - OMG!! So smooth in the mouth feel. I get some hops but no bitterness, followed by a well balanced attack from the sweetness of the honey and citrus fruit. It ends with a little more hop flavor but once again no bitterness at all. this bad boy rides down the throat with ease. It begs to be swallowed the minute it hits your lips. OUTF***STANDING!!!

I think this was best described by a hop head friend of mine that said "it goes down so smooth that you don't realize it till its gone." Very well spoken Mike Lee!

4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

A bottle pour into a small glass twice.

A- a good finger or so of super light tan off white somewhere in between tight head that holds and holds. After a good long time the cap settles but not without leaving behind a epic amount of chunky sticky lace and a sick ring. On the more copper orange side of color with a nice glow to it.

S- lots of citrus hoppy goodness with grapefruit and orange taking the lead. There's some floral honey sweetness mixed in that intermingles with the hops amazingly.

T- hop forward with the grapefruit and orange again there a light touch of conifers but its still very citrusy. Malts do come in but even with this level of abv the malts never over power the hops. Honey shows its head as it should but it only adds to the complexity of the whole not an addition of sweetness. Floral and fresh. Long bitter sweet finish.

M- on the fuller side of medium with a bit of slickness to it. Less on the carb but it works well with the brew.

O- all I'm all this brew is amazing. I know its not the freshest it can be but its still a wonderful brew. I will try to get some fresher stuff next year and will revisit my review.

4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

This is the first time I was prompted for overall vice drinkability I would have to say overall this is exceptional but definitely boy a session beer. Thanks to Sully for the export. Pours adecent golden with mild head and nice lacing. Smell is a great obey citrus mess. Taste is like the name. Plenty citrus grapefruitvwith a sweet honey feel. Mouthfeel is medium bodied but not syrupy like a 90 min.

2.65/5  rDev -41%

A-Clear, pale orange with a thin head

S-Aside from the hops, which was not overwhelming, some pine, citrus and ginger. Very nice, however the pine reminded me of a christmas candle. As the beer warmed the smell grew more intense and more pleasant. I spent a long 30 minutes finishing the last half of the glass, mostly because I enjoyed the aroma.

T- Sweet at first, and sweet in the end, but with strong, bitter hops in between. Finished with some notes of orange peel. Very tasty.

M-Decent carbonation; smooth finish

D-A great beer to linger over....I look forward to drinking this as the weather warms as I think it will be very refreshing.

Overall an excellent Imperial IPA. Not my favorite Bells offering but I will drink this again and recommend it to friends.

Edited after finishing the 6 pack...I looked less and less forward to each beer in this 6-pack, anticipating the ever-present Yankee Candle Christmas Pine-Tree aroma. As I compared it with other beers in my fridge, I found it the least appealing and by beer number 5, was looking forward to saying goodbye. I've at least learned to appreciate good balance in a beer and will probably not favor too many of the high-hops choices that are out there. No more Hopslam for me.

4.57/5  rDev +1.8%

First review

Batch 10196 (bottled 2/8/11) poured into a Troeg's Mad Elf tulip.

Appearance: Agressive pour yields a tremendous head. Rich golden color. Slight haze, but very translucent. Lacing is evident but fades quickly; however, spots of foam are present throughout.

Smell: I would like to extract this scent and have it surgically implanted into my nostrils. All kidding aside, one of the best scents that I've ever smelled. Floral, citrus, grapefruit hops abound. Can pick up some slight honey and malt. To smell this beer and not take a sip would be hellascious torture.

Taste: Perfectly balanced. Bitterness of hops is offset by the abundant honey presence. Hoppy up front, sweetness in the middle, both in the back. Slight bitter aftertaste. Absolutely delicious.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, coats the tongue. Slightly astringent.

Drinkability: Dangerous!

Overall: I love this beer. Both a hophead's dream, and a great entry into the world of imperial IPA's. If you see it, drink it.

4.2/5  rDev -6.5%

A-Pale amber with 1 inch of eggshell white head. Leaves rings of foamy lacing.

S-Lots of honey and piney hops. A light biscuity malt presence.

T/M-The honey sweetness is well integrated, and plays nicely against the hop bitterness. Alternately piney and bitter hoppiness with a light biscuity/sweet malt character and an earthy honey sweetness in the finish. I wouldn't have ever guessed this was 10%ABV.

O-This is good stuff. One of the more balanced DIPAs, and the addition of honey is a welcome change of pace. Very good.

4.85/5  rDev +8%

Feeling like a copy cat, but I love this beer...I got to have a few bottles and several draft pours this season. Can't say enough about how much I enjoy drinking this beer.

A- Pours a nice copper amber with a a thin finger head. Some lacing, doesn't linger long.

S- A big sweet bang, followed by strong citrus flavors. Piny and floral notes in the nose.

T- Mild Bitterness into sweetness. Starts on the tongue with a mild bitterness that quickly aided by honey that complement one another well. The 10% is hiden...it's there, but mild.

M- Medium bodied. Mildly bitter and crisp.

O- Great...period (or three periods)

I probably can't add anything useful to what has already been written about this outstanding beer, but here goes. Pours a beautiful golden color with nice head and great lacing on the glass. The aroma is exceptional- very fruity, notes of peaches and of course hops. The taste is unbelievable. Without a doubt the most well balanced double IPA there is. Just the right amount of sweetness to offset the bitterness of the hops. I know this is an overly hyped beer, but in this case the accolades are true. If (god forbid) I could only drink one beer for the rest of my life, this would undoubtedly be my choice.

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.