Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 2,041
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.

(Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
4.53/5  rDev +0.9%

Like some other reviewers, I really hesitated to review this beer because after all, after 1371 reviews, do we really need another one that says the same thing as everyone else? This beer has chieved cult status in the community, I first had this one about (5) years ago but have never reviewed it on BA.

Pours a hazy bright golden orange color with mild amounts of carbonation, with a thick, creamy white head into my Bell's snifter. It's not totally clear because there are particulates in the glass which give it a slightly cloudy appearance. The lacing sticks to the side of the glass.

The smell of this stuff is absolutely amazing: thick, acrid, resinous, oily hops - it's euphoric in smell. The hops alo exhibit a strong citrus aroma blended with pine and a little bit of pineapple and mandarin orange.

The taste has a very distinct pungent, tart and acrid, citrus character. The only other beer I've gotten this big of acrid tartness is the Smuttynose Big A. (but we're not here to review that) Also pick up hints of honey in the taste but the citrus fruit dominates on such a level that it's off the scale. There's a touch of malty sweetness to offset the massive amounts of hops and adds just the right amount of offsetting balance. I've always been surprised that more honey doesn't come through in the nose, it's only on the tongue when it finally reveals itself.

Mouthfeel is atringent, a little sticky, medium body, and surprisingly finishes more on a citrus note than a bitter one. The hop aftertaste is mixed with sweet citrus, a little metallic-like, finishes in an amazing way. There's (in my own interpretation), no alcohol detection at all in the taste - it's absolutely amazing.

Hop Slam is incredibly drinkable but I could only have a few of these before I start to pucker a little too much and have to move on to something else. I love the flavor of this beer but the astringent citrus character keeps my consumption in check. I've had this on tap in the past and it's far better than the bottle. My only gripe is that whenever I get it on tap, the places that serve this incredibly delicious beer know exactly what they have (otherwise it wouldn't be there) and they charge a PREMIUM for small snifter sized pours.

The funny thing, I wonder how many of you are actually reading this review since there's 1300 other ones and if you're checking a BA score on this one, chances are you already know something about its mystique.

4.53/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours a crystal clear amber color with honey highlights and lots of visible carbonation. Has a small fizzy head that dissipates pretty quickly leaving some ropey lacing.

The smell is full of sweet honey infused vegetative green goodness. Honey, sweet citrus, some fruity esters and candied grapefruit show through here. Kind of smells like the inside of a fresh bag of gummy candy.

The taste shines with green tasting flavorful hop oils, the kind that lend tons of fresh herbal flavor and not a tongue ripping bitterness. Some notes of honey, sugary grapefruit and non-astringent lime combine with a subtle alcohol warmth and a fair level of leafy bitterness. Amazingly balanced DIPA.

The mouthfeel is smooth, on the thin side of medium bodied and appropriately carbonated.

Overall a very well hidden high ABV, balanced non-cloying flavors and a less than syrupy texture make Hopslam seem heaven sent. This gives any DIPA a run for its money in the strength vs. drinkability category.

4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

On my latest outing to Abe's Cold Beer in Bethlehem, I was thrilled to find several "rare birds" of the beer world. Topping the hit list was Bell's HopSlam, a legend in it's own time.

A: Pours a transparent amber color with a fair sized, white head that left decent lacing.

S: Citrus, grapefruit, and honey aromas fill the glass.

T: A nice blend of citrus, grapefruit, and honey lead the charge. The up-front sweetness is quickly balanced by a serious biting hop flavor that is not for the faint of heart. A pretty nice blend of malt and hops, pretty excited about the balance.

M: Medium body with solid carbonation .

D: A terrific brew that is well deserving of it's accolades, a hardy well done to Bell's! the brewer's did a great job distinguishing themselves from the "west coast" DIPA style and still achieving a beer with serious bite and good balance. That being said, I was a tad disappointed, expecting this brew to crack the top 10 of my tastings, but then I quickly realized you can never be disappointed when you try a brew of this quality. This is clearly a must try, a classic well deserving of praise.

4.68/5  rDev +4.2%

To be honest, I've seen negative reviews of this one along with the hype. Let me just say to begin that I've never met a food or drink critic (several of whom I know well) who didn't agree with my assessment. Just a disclaimer.

The color is a deep, slightly clouded amber-copper. A sturdy, dense two fingers of white head sit atop this brew, leaving plenteous lacing in thick patches on the glass.
The aroma is pure, fresh, clean, and raw. An abundance of hops brings out all the subtleties of pine, flora, and, primarily, grapefruit, with just the lightest touch of honey sweetness balanced by a caramel malt that's at a perfect level to allow the hops to take precedence without drowning out anything else. This brew possesses a thoroughly impressive poignancy and balance.
The taste is absolutely as balanced and just as pure, fresh, clean and raw. I've never had a beer that, while having such a flavorful hops presence up front, has absolutely no astringency or acidity to mar it. This is as good as balance gets, and I can't imagine a cleaner flavor. This beer is a masterpiece of brewing and a testament to the subtleties and intricacies of the art.
The mouthfeel is smooth, with a light nip to begin that gives way to a nice, not quite creamy texture. Carbonation is light to moderate and the body is medium to full.
I'd drink a dozen of these in a a sitting if I could, but the ABV forces me to be satiisfied with a couple at a time at most.

4.2/5  rDev -6.5%

Apricot golden body, tiny hop flecks visible and a classic ivory creamy, spritzy cap. The nose is very aromatic like a freshly prepped bowl of ambrosia. Lots of ripe citrus in the nose, specifically tangerine and ruby red grapefruit. Small pine character in the background. The taste is crisp, hoppy and I could tell upon first drink the mouthfeel is superb. The label claims this beer was brewed with honey and I think I could tell that for myself even if they didn't help out with that bit of information. Hops, hops and more hops, well balanced though with a good sized malt backbone,pale and caramel malts try to balance the hop onslaught and do, almost, lots of honey encrusted tangerine, resinous, pithy hops buds, the honey gives a sweet, sugary parity to the beer along with notes of dried apricots. Mouthfeel is sharp, nectary and crisp. The taste is big but not great. I appreciate the boldness, bitterness, balance and power of the hops, it's just not amazing. I'll say it, it's overrated a little. Change the name from Hopslam to Bells Double IPA and this beer averages to an A- and doesn't crack the top 100 or garner as much hype.

4.7/5  rDev +4.7%

355ml bottle purchased by my girlfriend at Beer World in Largo, Florida.

Appearance: bright amber-orange hue with a solid white cap and several dots of lacing on the tulip glass.

Smell: grapefruit, pineapple, flowery hops, lychee, tangelo, honey, and mango. The Centennial, Simcoe, and Crystal hops just smack you in the face. Simply the most pungent and aromatic beer that I've encountered.

Taste: big citric, bitter and pithy hop flavours with orange zest, grapefruit, lemon peel, lime, and a pleasant, tropical fruitiness (passion fruit, pineapple) upfront. Malt profile imparts caramel and honey with a bit of cookie dough mid-palate. Strong bitterness lingers in the finish, but it's kept in check by a malty sweetness. A truly beautiful symmetry of bold, balanced flavours.

Mouthfeel is juicy, smooth, and oily with mild carbonation. Tingly and acidic hop spice hits midway with a crisp and clean bitterness and some alcoholic warmth going down.

Overall, Bell's HopSlam is one of those special beers that you only come across once in a while. An unusually drinkable DIPA with way more character than the vast majority of beers that I normally drink. Pure deliciousness.

4.1/5  rDev -8.7%

Poured from bottle into tulip. Lighter golden color and white head, certainly lighter than expected.
The aroma was unlike anything I've had before. The sheer volume of citrus, esp. grapefruit, and pine is truly unbelievable. I'm talking grapefruit smoothie. Great taste, the honey helps round out the malt, perhaps too much and just a bit too sweet for my liking, but nonetheless a pretty special beer.

4.5/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Bell's HopSlam poured a very light straw-like color with a thick white head. It left good amount of lace on the glass.

A sweet citric aroma exploded from the bottle during the pour. The flavor matched the promise of the smell with honey and grapefruit dominating. The feel of this ale was remarkable, blasting the mouth with bitterness. It feels so crisp and clean that the alcohol content is barely noticeable, though it does sneak up.

My one beef with HopSlam is the color, which is similar to an every-day Lager. Otherwise, it can best be described as a perfect balance of sweet and bitter with each characteristic existing in the extreme.

4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

Pours a hazy amber copper red in a pint glass,the smell is floral citrus grapefruit hoppiness,well balanced honey sweetness and west coast hops make this a Classic DIPA,This one slide right down,mouth feel is silky smooth,The alcohol in this one is hidden and makes for an easy drink,This one is a sleeper at 10% you could have a number of these down before ya know it,this is one beer that leaves ya pine for another

4.78/5  rDev +6.5%

This beer could easily be the prototype for what a double IPA is supposed to be. Thick two finger head that held up well with good belgian lacing. Color is a light golden color. Aroma is outstanding. Lots of nice grassy hops upfront with citrus in the background. Loads of dry hopping. Flavor was citrus hops, with a good malt balance. Could tell it was a high alcohol beer. Pretty much flawless. CO2 just right. Best Bell's beer I have ever had.

3.78/5  rDev -15.8%

Figured I'd review this VERY talked about beer for my 50th review. Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a snifter:

Appearance and Smell:poured a bright translucent golden orange with a nice 1/4" foamy head without much force. Smelled of citrus and mango with a definite looming heavy sweetness which was probably the added honey. Mostly grassy and piney notes coming through from heavy hopping.

Taste and Mouthfeel:Very interesting mouthfeel to this thing. Pretty thick and creamy with plenty of initial sweetness.Tasted of grapefruit, citrus, and subtle caramel malt. Finished fairly dry due to how heavily hopped it was but most likely the added honey is what stuck around the mouth along with some biting bitterness.

Drinkability:I was craving an IPA and this satisfied my needs and then some. This was a unique one from what I've tried. This would be very intense if not for the added honey I'd have to think. I drank this nice and fresh and it let me know. Outside of the strange finish which turned me off quite a bit this was a thoroughly enjoyable beer. I'm pretty sure this was exactly the thing they were going for when they brewed this.

4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

Picked up a couple of sixers at Total Wine and More yesterday for $14.99. Also picked up two sixers at BevMo for $16.99.

Beer poured orange with a nice white head that is leaving lacing behind. Nose is perfect, totally perfumed by citrus hops, even halfway into the bottle! Taste is sweet, citrus hops greet you kindly with sweet honey lingering nicely in the background. Strong malt backbone blends in to keep things nicely balanced. Mouthfeel is silky smooth from the honey and malts, a full bodied brew that glides nicely across the palate. Drinkability is perfect, the high abv is well hidden. The honey makes this a sweet brew but also makes it dangerously drinkable! There has been a lot of chatter about this brew in the forums lately and i can definitely see why it is highly touted!

4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

It's finally Hopslam release month, and it's time to review this beast. Poured from a 12 oz bottle into my Dogfish snifter. Poured amber, slightly gold in color with a thin white layer covering the top. It laced nicely on the sides of the glass as I drank it,.

Aroma is sweet and hoppy. It's very sweet smelling presumably from the honey and the hops are very citrusy with some grapefruit and orange. Really, a blast of sweet hoppiness is a great way to describe the aroma from this beer.

Taste is a lot like the nose, very sweet and hoppy. The hops give it a nice floral citrusness with some grapefruit, orange and a little pine flavor. The sweetness definitely sets this apart from a lot of DIPA's. The bitterness is pretty mild for all the hops in it.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is very good, especially for the abv%. it's very good tasting and easy drinking. I could drink this all year long if they made it.

Overall this deserves to be one of the top rated DIPA's in the world. An awesome beer that I'm glad I have about 14 left of.

4.85/5  rDev +8%

A: I've seen better and I've seen worse, but I have to say, Hopslam has a better then average look. This brew pours a golden yellow with a thick off white head. I wish I had poured this into my tulip to really get a good appreciation for the burlyness of the head.

S: Sweet hoppy goodness, it's like an explosion of tasty, mouth watering hops in your nose. Piny and fresh citrus fruity notes, with hints of sweetness that I'm sure the honey adds.

T: As far as DIPA's go, this one is one of the most palatable, yet complex and pleasing examples of the style I've ever had. IPA's present a problem of balance. Start your beer journey off with a bad example of this style, and you may never drink another IPA again. Start your journey off with a hopslam, however,DIPA's may quickly become a style of choice. It's obvious that the addition of honey gives this beer it's balance without disturbing it's hop characteristics.

M:The label claims that Hopslam is a tongue bruiser of an ale. I'd have to disagree. I'd say Hopslam is more like that lovely lady you meet at the bar that caresses you to buy her a drink or two. As far as my tongue goes, I've had hops that totally destroy my pallet, this brew leaves it begging for more. A silky smooth, medium body brew is such a delightful characteristic of the huge DIPA.

D: 10% alcohol normally makes me slow my drinking down to a sip and a crawl, this isn't the case with Hopslam. My pallet is in good shape, my taste buds are in awe, my buzz is in check, and I'll be happy to crack open another.

4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured a nice golden hazy cloudy color with a nice fluffy white head that stuck around just long enough and left beautiful white lacing the entire way down the glass.

When I opened the bottle , tho ol' lady in the NEXT ROOM asked what the hell I had just opened. Can you say hops?. Holy crap in a dump truck, how is it poossible to have that much hops in just the aroma?

The taste is intense to say the least and I love it. There is some malt in there but nothing in comparison to the hops. The hops are like an Angus Young riff in the front row at an AC/DC concert while the malt bill is like some guy playing a kazoo in a locked closet in their dressing room. Kablam!!

Mouthfeel is adequate, however, for me I wish it was just a tad bit more oily to match the hop profile.

If you like hops then this is just the beer for you but to have more than a couple you would seriously have palate fatigue. This ain't no session beer. Also have it fresh!! It will blow you away fresh but it seriously will fade over time.

4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

Appearance: (4.5) Amber to orange in color, with a creamy white head that retains itself through each sip. Lacing is at it's peak, coating the glass all the way down.

Smell: (5.0) Grapefruit, pine, cedar, are most dominant on the nose, with a malt backbone of biscuit, caramel, and honey.

Taste: (4.5) Citrusy, piney, and pungent, this brew is a monster. Suprisingly, the finish is very mellow, with malty notes that balance out the amount of hops used in this beer.

Mouthfeel: (4.5) Full-bodied and viscous, HopSlam coats the tastebuds and leaves the flavors there for the remainder of the night.

Drinkability: (4.0) While high in ABV and IBUs, Bell's has produced a beer that, while in the Extreme category, is very easy to drink, and is by far one of the best double IPAs in todays market.

4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

Bottle of batch 9470 hardpoured into my DFH signature glass.

A: Hazy deep gold with a gigantic fluffy white head that quickly dissipates to a skim of tight bubbles. Some decent lacing is present.

S: Flowers and tropical fruit such as grapefruit/pineapple and a touch of pine.

T: Sweet honey up front followed by a citrus/pineapple attack finished with a suprisingly light bitterness (relative to the style of DIPA). The honey sweetness weaves in and out of the flavor.

M: Heavy at first, but finishing a little light. Not an enamel stripper, but leaves a gritty feeling on the teeth.

Drinkability: Good. HopSlam is not perfect, but it is the best DIPA that I have encountered. What also helps is that HopSlam is relatively cheap and abundant when it is in season.

Bottled 12-30-09

Pours golden with some orangey hues and a thick, white crown and webby lacing.

Fresh, vibrant grapefruit, dank hop oils, lemongrass.

Very crisp and clean on the palate with orange, grapefruit, and lemon citrus. I imagine simcoe hops play a big role in the taste. There's a certain sweetness, possibly from the honey, that really sets it apart. Supremely balanced for the strength, not as astringent as a lot of other DIPAs making it extremely drinkable.

It's really friendly and original, making it my favorite of all time. Newman, you magnificent bastard!

4.72/5  rDev +5.1%

Pours a great thick head that sticks around. Has a strong bodied dark golden color with a lot of activity about. Very strong, vibrant aroma. Very appealing. I'm not one that typically likes hop infused beers, but this one is great. The label calls it a "biting,bitter,tongue bruiser of an ale." I don't think it is as rough as they might make it seem. Very drinkable, and at 10% abv that is saying something.

4.72/5  rDev +5.1%

Appearance: Poured from a bottle into a large wine glass. Beer is golden in color with a large, frothy head. It's fairly clear with just a little haziness to it. The head takes a good couple of minutes to dissipate and leaves good lacing on the sides of the glass. Good carbonation coming up from the bottom of the glass.

Smell: One of the best smelling DIPAs out there. Grapefruit and pine aromas abound, as well as bright floral hops and a hint of what smells like pineapple. Mmmm...yummy.

Taste: As the name suggests, there is a decent punch of hop flavor, but it is surprisingly well balanced between the hoppy bitterness and malty sweetness; probably due in part to the honey/malt combo in the recipe. While some DIPAs finish a bit harshly, the balanced character of this beer lasts throughout the drinking experience. Just a great, crisp, smooth taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied; good carbonation and hops offset the high ABV/malt character.

Drinkability: Probably one of the most drinkable DIPAs out there. The 10 percent ABV is hardly discernible and there is no boozy flavor to speak of. This is so smooth in fact that if you're not careful, it might pull the old sneak-attack on you!

This is definitely one of my favorites. Given the limited release, I feel like I need to stock up when it's available so I can enjoy the experience for longer than the month or two it's brewed.

4.78/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Batch # 9471.

A - Golden orange with little head and a ton of lacing.

S - Citrus fruits dominated by grapefruit.

T - I was expecting to be knocked out by the bitterness, but Bell's did an amazing job of balancing it out with honey. Still, a "tongue bruiser" as the label states. A lot of the citrus comes through midway through, with the bitterness coming at the end.

M - Decent balance, but I can't hold this one on the tongue too long.

D - As many others have stated, the alcohol is well hidden and the beer does not come off as boozy.

I've drank 2 so far out of my 6 pack. Both times I had planned on drinking two, and both times had to switch to something else after drinking one. It's delicious, but so hardcore that one bottle will do you.

4.8/5  rDev +6.9%

the beer pours a golden color with a small amount of head. Looks fresh and great already. The smell is very strong and floral. Smells very complex right off the bat. I get floral with a hint of citrus and malt. Definitely one of the strongest most complex smells i have gotten from an IPA. The taste is amazing! It is floral with a hint of citrus at first and finishes with a touch of malt and honey backbone, very well balanced. I don't usually like much malt in my IPAs, but this is done right! Mouthfeel is fine for and DIPA a bit thicker than a normal IPA, as to be expected. Drinkability is surprisingly great for a 10% DIPA, only downfall is that it tastes so good, that you want more, but the ABV prohibits you from drinking too much.

4.88/5  rDev +8.7%

A-Pours a apple juice color with a white 1/2 finger head into a tulip.

S-The main thing going on here is hops with pine, pineapple, grapefruit, orange, and mango notes with some caramel malt, and maybe just a bit of honey.

T-I'm getting bitter grapefruit, orange, pineapple and pine hoppiness along with the honey and caramel malt to smooth everything out.

M-Wow, I forgot how smooth the mouthfeel on this one is. It's on the full bodied side of medium body with low carbonation.

D-I still can't believe how easy these go down. What? It's 10%? Really? The ABV will definitely sneak up on you though, be careful... I speak from experience.

4.85/5  rDev +8%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip.

A - Pours a clear orange-yellow with one finger of bone white head.

S - Very lush and juicy, with caramel, toffee, orange, grapefruit, pineapple, and mango. Really aromatic.

T - A nice mashup of the East Coast and West Coast style DIPAs. Solid malt base provides a sweet backup to the hops, with caramel, toffee, and a smidge of honey. Loads of hop flavor as well, with citrus zest, pineapple, and mango. Plenty of bitterness, though the sweetness of the malt means that the beer is really quite balanced.

M - Medium-full body, good level of carbonation helps to perk up the hop bitterness.

D - Fantastic beer. Definitely leaves me wanting another... tomorrow.

4.88/5  rDev +8.7%

I tried this beer in bottled form from a six pack that I purchased.

This beer pours with a very lovely color similar in tint to that of pineapple juice (due to lighting it may appear brighter or darker depending on the room).

The effervescent aroma of hops hits both the nose and the palate with a "slam" very indicative of its namesake.

Though quite bitter through the immediate tasting, its sweet counterbalance, with the help of honey as an ingredient, replenishes the initial hop effect with a very accommodating smoothness.

This gracious transition allows this particular beer to be both robust, and yet, also extremely drinkable because of the subtle and smooth juxtaposition of the intense hops proportionally balanced by a sweet merger of honey and malt, flourishing with this brew's ability to transcend from a very intense hop distinction to a sweet, almost nectar-like effect in its final palate effects. Simply put, this is a "must-have beer" for any hop head or anyone who wants to try a great beer!

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.