Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 1,886
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.

(Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
4.8/5  rDev +6.9%

Batch 8908. Poured a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a golden copper with medium/heavy carbonation and an off white fluffy head. Smells of citrusy goodness. Lots of fruity hops. It also has a very unique nose-stinging chemical like hop aroma that hits me as pull the beer away from my nose. Maybe it's the dankness of the hops coming through. Whatever this smell is, the other DIPAs I've tried don't have it. The taste is like putting marijuana and citrus fruits together in a blender and serving it as a drink. The dankness of the beer is very pronounced. It definitely has a good deal of malts too and balances well. After my first sip my saliva became much more viscous due to the balancing malts. Mild/medium bittering aftertaste. Mouth feel is medium light with just the right amount of carbonation. Drinkablity is remarkable for a 10% ABV beer. This would absolutely be in my IPA rotation if I could get this year-round.

BeerStine, Jan 30, 2009
4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

Super whipped-up, agitated head of white froth, very sticky lacing. Brightly hued orange to yellow throughout, not fully transparent but clean and quite pretty. The nose is a citrus fest of pink grapefruit, tangerine, lime, if you can adjust to this you might be able to tease out pine resin, rose hips, nectarine, papaya and pineapple fruit scents, not much discernible malt-wise but doesn't feel out of balance, very credible lift in the nostrils. Medium-bodied, isn't bitter at all, more stings or pinches the palate than bites it. Same gargantuan element of pink grapefruit, tangelo, lime citrus, equally sweet and sour. The floral dimension a touch stronger, aided by the honey accents. On the other hand, any pine or charcoal flavors step back. Texturally, it's crisp and lively and built for speed, glides down the chute. No grassy nor herbaceous pucker, the hops taste fresh like you could wring them out with your hands. Carbonation shows a gentle but persistent hand. Real fun to throw back.

farrago, Jan 29, 2009
4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

I love the hops and when I tied this beer my taste buds said HOLY CRAP!! The aroma when I opened it was a lot like grapefruit and hops. Then I poured it to see an orange haze which I expected more golden. I also expected to see the nice head but it teneded to recede quicker then expected. A nice semi-crisp medium bodied with a bit of oiliness resin. I expected a major bitterness but was surprised on how smooth it was for having so much hops. Don't get me wrong this is a very hoppy beer that made me pucker up like most IPAs and DIPAs. However it is still pretty smooth especially for having a 10% abv. Very well balanced and surprising smoother then expected. This is definitely one hellava great IPA. Thank you Bells!!

TonyBrew, Jan 29, 2009
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

A: pours a clear appetizing orange with avery small white head

S: the nose is lots of sweet and citrus hop aroma, almost bubblegum like. also a hint of biscuty malt in the background

T: lots of bitterness with firm carmely malt backbone, very well balanced. it's interested to note, with a beer like this that has such an overwhelming nose its hard to distinguish what I am tasting and what I am smelling, but the smell definitely comes across in the taste with the sweet citrus hop flavor almost tangible to the pallet.

M: medium body with crisp carbonation. does not have the syrupy mouthfeel that one tends to associate with the DIPA style. the beer stays on your tongue for a while.

D: I had three and thus I am writing the review the day after (I took notes). I think the drinkability, balance, and ease of this beer is what makes it an exceptional example of the style.

lamarr04, Jan 29, 2009

Hopslam 2010--1/10/10

A: The overpowering tropical fruit character (Pineapple, mango) attacks my nostrils as it is poured into a DFH snifter. Beautiful bright golden-copper colour with 1/2" head that recedes after a few minutes (this snifter is something of a head-killer I have realized though). Thin oily coating.
4.5
S: Fantastic--Like a whole bunch of Cascade hops mixed into a pineapple fruit cup. Pineapple, grapefruit, mango, a bit of hop skunkiness that I do not recall from last year. Base malt and caramel malt (honey malt) if you really dig, I guess--but their role is strictly in supporting the plethora of hops and blends with them so well that they are difficult to distinguish. Not too much from the honey addition, perhaps a light floral scent. Juicy.
T: Sweet, sweet citrus up front (pineapple primarily, with some grapefruit), a bit of alcohol character. Sweet honey, light caramel. Moves in stages from being sweet citrus up front, malty sweet in the middle, then fading into a piney bittersweet finish--not extremely mouth puckeringly bitter on the finish as some DIPA's can be (but I tend to like that character). Aside from the bitterness, the aftertaste comes across very much like unfermented honey. Alcohol is a little more noticeable than I would like, but I suppose is to be expected to a degree. As it warms it becomes sweeter and hides the alcohol a little better (a trade-off I suppose, as it ends up being a little too sweet).
M: First thing noticed as I took the first taste. Well carbonated, with a slightly syrupy body that comes across as "resiny" (a good thing for hopheads).
D: A bit more alcohol bite than I prefer. While the smell was off the charts, the taste didn't quite deliver, and was less complex. Aside from the skunkiness of the hops, I would say that this year's is very similar to the last. A great beer from Bells, although not my favourite double IPA.

2009--1/29/09
6 pack acquired at Coffee Grounds in Eau Claire for $15.99
A: Pours into a Chimay chalice (DFH Snifters are on the way!). Great light orange colour, with a 1" bright white head with tiny bubbles. Sticks to the sides of the glass magnificently...Looks great!
S: Smell is HUGE pineapple up front! Almost overpowering, but when you dig a bit deeper you can get some other citrus scents-some grapefruit. Smells crisp and fresh.
M: I notice the mouthfeel before the taste even! Very creamy and extra smooth. Slips right down with a bit of warming afterwards...great!
T:Taste is of pineapple (more subdued than the smell though), very herbal, with an intense bitterness that kicks in at the end to disguise this enormous abv. Pineapple, grapefruit, citric orange. A hint of alcohol. Fresh hops, with a bitter but pleasant aftertaste. As it warms, the alcohol becomes much more evident, but pairs great with the hops. The pineapple dissapears quite a bit with the temperature increase, and the bitterness really comes out from the dark.
D:Drinkability- Disguises the alcohol content masterfully, with a very smooth mouthfeel.

darklordlager, Jan 29, 2009
4.22/5  rDev -6%

The first time a had a bottle of this, it must have been 2 years old... needless to say there was no hop aroma or flavor, I thought i may had gotten a bad bottle.... With all the fuss about hopslam this year i thought id give it another go. Damn, Im glad i did.

A - Golden, honey color, slightly hazy from the bad pour that didnt decant off of the bottle conditioned yeast, light fluffy head.

S - it seems ass backwards, but i pick up on wort like aromas backed by some bicuity toastiness. This all pairs alongside sweet grapefruit, pineapple, some pine and a vague aroma of tulips. Good aroma that is well balanced inbetween the malt, though an 'MO' of the style, It's nice to have some malt character pair along side a healthy dose of hops.

T - A balanced bitterness that barely makes me pucker, sweet wort like flavors (honey malt?) and toasted bread mix in between a floral hoppiness, grapefruit and pine. The alcohol is barely noticeable until you get that warming sensation as you breath out. At 10%, this beer is very well crafted in balance.

M - medium bodied, low carbonation, sweetness is almost cloying, but brought back to balance by the abundance of hops. In one word, balanced.

D - Extremely... even as i try to pace myself, im starting to see the bottom of the glass in less than a half hour. 10% would dictate, to me, a sipper, however, this beer keeps telling me, 'go on, have another.' Great brew, well worth the hype, If I saw this on tap I would definitely order a few pints.

Jettanbass9, Jan 29, 2009
4.25/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Light and beautiful
Pineapple, hops and citrus
End review haiku

Okay. This beer inspired me to write poetry. That's right, a beer haiku. It's wonderful. Slightly boozy, perfect amounts of carbonation, and perhaps the best blend of hops I've had in a long while. I don't know if it quite lives up to the hype, but I for one think it's a fantastic brew that actually deserves some hype. A real winner for sure

thanks to biniek 13 for including this as an extra. I recieved it today, and then checked the batch number to discover it's less than two weeks old. Insane. We don't get beers distributed here that quickly.

SuperWhite92, Jan 29, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -8.7%

This beer is kind of like The Matrix: I had heard so much about it's awesomeness before I acctaully experienced it, that my expectations were really high, and when I finally saw the movie/drank the brew, I was like hell yes...but not blown away as I thought I would be.

I only wish I had stumlbed over it randomly and tried it, then my pants would be filled with happiness and joy. I should note that this review is written during my third bottle of this 10 % brew.

Very citrusy and boozy, not tatsing the honey. High abv, very tasty. I recommend that you spring this on your craft swillin' friends who have not heard of it. And watch the joy in thier eyes. If they don't dig it. Bitch slap thier ass!

Makes my tummy warm.

kickapoodude, Jan 29, 2009
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

A - poured into a Troegs Nugget Nectar pint glass (can anyone say heresy!) Poured a hazy brownish-orange, with a finger thick slightly off-white head. The bubbles are fine and aesthetically pleasing. I found myself leaning the glass over to watch the bubbles separate and form small islands of lacing. There is obviously something wrong with me...

S - Smells like a pine tree with grapefruit ornaments - freshness abounds and the smell is voluminous. I would love to have this as a car air freshener.

T - Sweet grapefruit and pine bitterness finish, alcohol warmth reminds you this beer is 10%! Crisp, refreshing and lingering. I was expecting more hoppiness from the name, but while hop levels are not overwhelming, they are certainly adequate.

M - Slightly thick above average body, crisp carbonation envelopes your mouth.

D - Drinkability is good, I could drink a few of these without a hesitation, but I am having trouble finishing this review after just one!

Dulliwhig, Jan 28, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -9.1%

Batch 8907, which according to their site was packaged 1/6/09. So still nice and fresh!

A - Poured into pint glass. Pours a hazy honey color with two fingers of foamy off-white head.

S - Smells like a big fat peach to me. I'm rather sure this wasn't the intention but it's a delicious smell. Not noticing much hoppiness in the nose.

T - Not as hop-dominated as I expected, there's quite a bit going on and it has a surprising amount of balance. The honeyed hops are quite unique, unlike anything else I've had. The progression in the mouth as you stop to taste it seems to be sweet citrus, then dry bitter hops then an alcohol burning. The balance shifts towards sweetness at about 50F, and then tilts back towards hops closer to room temp.

M - Has a nice fizzy carbonation, one of the first things I noticed on tasting. Aftertaste is hops and booze; what were you expecting? Not too heavy for what it is, it goes down quite smooth.

D/O - This beer seems to be at it's most drinkable slightly below room temperature. It's a DIPA, if you're tossing down a sixer in one sitting something's gone terribly wrong. Hop heads are understandably thrilled with the beer, and craft lovers should at least be able to respect it. It's well enough off the beaten path, and in a good way, that it's worth searching out.

bluesoul, Jan 28, 2009
4.28/5  rDev -4.7%

Appearance: Pours a hazy orange with a half inch head and plenty of fizzy carbonation stuck to the sides of the glass and flowing up. the head recedes moderately quickly leaving a lunar-like landscape on the top of the beer and clumpy lacing.

Aroma: Lots of grapefruit in the nose, with a touch of pine and pineapple.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and somewhat crisp with moderate oiliness for a DIPA.

Taste: Not as bitter as I expected from reputation and aroma. But make no mistake, this is a hoppy beer. There is that trademark pucker reaction from the first sip, so common among BIG IPAs. The high alcohol content is well-hidden and despite the initial bitterness, it mellows quickly and is ultimately pretty well-balanced for the style. The flavors are predominantly and distinctly grapefruit. There is some bready malts in the finish which leaves the bitterness on the back of the tongue presenting a pleasant aftertaste.

Overall Impressions: Well-balanced for the style and extremely deceptive in the alcohol department. I prefer a bit more complexity, but if you love big grapefruit flavors in your IPAs, you'll love this beer.

jkendrick, Jan 28, 2009
4.4/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Are there hops in this?

'08 ($18 a six at Sam's HP) version. Opens with a massive malty grapefruit scent, pours into a pint with a surprisingly clear amber color and light head that dissipates quickly, some light lacing. The nose of grapefruit falls away after a few minutes and the following scent is of pine and resin (my sense of smell isn't the best). The taste is almost pure hops as it hits your mouth, spice and carbonation. Resin bites my tongue, I'm looking for the citrus or sweet malt. the mouthfeel is satisfyingly viscous. At the back, a very burnt malty sweetness was a pleasant addition. the alcohol ads a welcome burn. When it's gone the hops stick around to kick my tongue for a while longer...and I like it.

This is a huge hop-bomb of a beer where the hops are leading a Sherman-esque scorched earth march on the Atlanta of my mouth. The alcohol alone says you don't drink this one all night. It's unbalanced in the best sense of the word.

These big DIPAs are my thing. This is among the best. I found the lack of malt and citrus (at least on my palate) kept this one from being my go-to DIPA. Sorry to all the Hopslam-ers out there. This beer is better than really good, I just like a flavor profile that features a bit more over-the-top citrus to war against the beyond-belief hops. I think it is worth the $18 and I'm glad to have tried it, but there are a couple others that cost less that I like better.

Going to MI soon, maybe I'll find it on tap.

biker30x, Jan 28, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +6.9%

had my bud pick me up a sixer when it came into friar tucks. fearing it was sold out, i was relieved and sooo excited to get it.

appearance: nice and orange/goldenish tone, almost if not completely translucent.

smell: like a produce aisle; peach, or mango, or pineapple, or... all?

taste: reinforcing that fruit, with some more citrusy flavors. i suppose i can taste the hops...its only called hopslam. god thats good

mouthfeel: like a liquified fruit smoothie. can kinda taste the alcohol, but the array of flowery fruit pretty much kills it.

drinkability: i could drink this all day, throughout the year. i want this for the summertime but i doubt if i'll find another six and if i do that i could keep it that long.

sluhdrum07, Jan 28, 2009
4.38/5  rDev -2.4%

A: a light copper with an orange tint. has a hazy apearance to it. beautiful white head with picturesque lacing on the glass. head stayed throughout the beer.

S: I got slapped in the face with HOPS! A lot of it. For a beer with 10%ABV it can't be detected because you keep getting punched in the nose with all the hops.

T: Hops from start to finish. Once the beer warms up a bit you do get the alcohol warming.

D: Medium body with medium carbonation. Smooth and crisp. Alcohol warming once it is swallowed.

O: A True "Hop Bomb"! If this is what you like...As Emril says "BAM!" It is good stuff

SmithwicksNut, Jan 27, 2009
4.78/5  rDev +6.5%

This beer pours an amber orange color with a small head that dissipates quickly. The smell is in your face HOPS! Also, pine and citrus with a huge grapefruit nose. The taste has huge citrus flavors - pinapple, orange and grapefruit with a touch of honey and alcohol at the end. Mouthfeel is smooth and coats the mouth with hop oil and has perfect carbonation. Drinkability is hindered only by the high alcohol content. Overall, My absolute favorite IPA. I could drink this all day if the alcohol and price were not so high.

johnd513, Jan 27, 2009
4.15/5  rDev -7.6%

Appearance: This brew pours beautifully. A medium amber color with a tanish-almost-light-green foamy head. The hue is a little different, but it evokes the feeling that hops are literally force infused into this brew. Lacings are plentiful. Very interesting! I'm impressed.

Smell: Yep. Hops exude from this selection. The aroma fills the nose and is very pleasant. To a non-hop lover this may be oppressive, but to an experienced beer lover, this is truely perfume. Ahhh...wonderful!

Taste: This selection is definitely a hop heavy brew. The honey provenance of this brew is very mellow and compliments the thin malt flavor. Hops however are the namesake of this type of brew, and this particular selection meets and exceeds all expectations. This is an excellent brew for pure hops lovers. The hops used are very high alpha content selections. This appears to contain American hops. I was not able to detect English or European presence in any of the flavor components.

Mouthfeel: The bitterness of the hops immediately jumps out. I was impressed with the clean snap of flavor onset. There is a little lingering that leaves the palate a little crouded, but that would be expected from an Imperial IPA. This selection would not be acceptable to a novice drinker.

Drinkability: The flavor curve on this brew is huge. The bitterness lingers but is not really an aftertaste in character. I zoomed through this 6-pack, so I guess the drinkability is high for an experienced drinker. However....this is NOT not novice drinkers. An experienced drinker, sitting by the pool on a hot August afternoon will love this!!!! GET THIS SELECTION IF YOU SEE IT!!!!

Prosit!
Nikki

stockingcpl, Jan 27, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

On tap at Brass Rail Deli in Campbelltown, PA on 1/26/09.

A - Poured a sparkling clear amber-colored body with modest carbonation and one-finger creamy off-white head that retained very well and left a web of sticky lace around the glass.

S - Hopslam opens with a pungent smack of pine with plenty of sticky, juicy citrus notes. Grapefruit in particular really jumps out. Malt? Hmmmm... sweet caramel perhaps, but it is buried under an veritable mountain of hop goodness! Subtle alcohol notes also creep out in the mix.

T - Initial taste features an abundance of juicy, bittersweet citrus with an equal amount of sticky pine. Some sweet caramel malt makes an appearance in the middle to provide a bit of relief from the onslaught of hops, followed by a a moderate alcohol sting. Finishes with a warm surge of hop bitterness featuring more pine and citrus notes, if you can believe it!

M - Medium bodied with a part oily/part syrupy texture, yet still retains quite a creamy mouthfeel overall. Hopslam is moderately carbonated, resulting in some tongue prickle, and also emits plenty of alcohol warmth across the palate. Finish is unabashedly bitter with a long-lasting duration. It's almost like getting your tongue pricked with pine needles and then sprinkled with grapefruit juice!

D - Hopslam on draft. I've been waiting for the better part of two weeks to finally try this on draft, and it did not disappoint! Simply one of the best DIPAs out there. The alcohol presence knocks the drinkability down just a tad, but otherwise it drinks pretty good for 10%, don't it?!

ffejherb, Jan 27, 2009
4.45/5  rDev -0.9%

A- Two inch light tan head that has great retention and beautiful lacing. This beer pours a golden yellow/light orange color

S- Hops fill the room as you pour this beer, its hard to smell anything else. There are lots of piny and citrusy aromas that float off this beer. Great fruit is the most detectable sent also some oranges and lemon. This beer smells like a pine tree that grows oranges, lemons and great fruit. I want the tree that this juice came from. Also lots of caramel sweetness and hints of honey.

T- Waves of honey and citrus juice play on the tongue. Oranges, great fruit and lemons, also some piny bitterness. This is a very hoppy beer but the sweet malt gives it a great balance. Lots of caramel sweetness comes through but then is overtaken by hops, but tries to come through again. Its like a battle between Hops and sweet malty flavors in my mouth and I can't tell which side I want to win. In the end the hops win and I am left with some nice piny bitterness and holds on to each taste bud. Go Hops!

M- This is a mouth coating beer the maltiness coats your mouth then the hop oil clings on. Pretty thick every part of your mouth will feel this beer, perfectly carbonated.

Overall- This is an great beer, there are not many subtleties to it but that's ok, lots of flavor great body and awesome hop character. This is one of my favorite DIPAs.

br3wmeister, Jan 27, 2009

Ratings posted are for BATCH #8277
___

GLASS: Tulip Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 50 degrees
BATCH #9505 (01-05-10) 4 Months old at review (05-11-10)

Appearance is the same as the one-year old bottle, reviewed below. Still beautiful and impressive.

The nose has a bit more piney hops presence, but that's about the only real difference. Still has a big, sweet, malty presence to back up all of that hoppiness.

Yes, this is quite a bit hoppier than the year-old bottle that I previously had. Lots of big notes of pine tar blend in with the big malty sweetness. At this point though, the hops are still overpowering the sweetness, quite a bit.

I find this body to be not as thick and sticky as my previous bottle. I don't know if that's because of the aging or if it's a recipe tweak. Still medium-bodied and Medium-to-high level of carbonation, which gives it a nice touch of creaminess.

This is nicely drinkable. It is a slight bit too out of balance for me to enjoy all of the time though.
Honestly, I think that I prefer the one-year old version a bit more. It has more balance and is easier to drink. Looks like I'll be leaving my other couple of bottles in the cellar!
___

BATCH #8277(01-09-08) This one is a year old. I'll review a fresh one, once I can track down a bottle. Someday....

Nice, hazy, dark golden honey colored liquid. Two-finger head of thick off-white colored foam. Great retention and thick, sticky lacing.

Nice citrus hops are still big with this one. Orange and grapefruit, mostly. Hint of pine. Nice caramel malt presence, now. Nice floral quality.

Hops have definitely mellowed out. Quite abit, I'd guess. Still has a nice piney/grapefruity quality. Also has quite the caramel malt backbone, now. It's really a very balanced beer, right at this point. The honey is easily detectable, also, and I find it to be a very nice component in this brew.

Good solid medium body. Almost sticky, the way it coats your mouth. Traces of it stay there, even after you swallow, then slowly make their way down your throat.

At this age, I find this to be a super drinkable beer. Very well balanced and all around tasty.

coldmeat23, Jan 27, 2009
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

12oz fresh bottle into the flying fish brewing glass. I wanted to dive right into this one and not waste any time or hops.

A- Bells Hopslam comes out of the bottle a light tan color and settles into the glass with a impressive medium orange with gold & bronze highlights. It appears very transparent and upon a closer view small microdots of sediment are seen floating throughout. The one inch deep white head was impressive and creamy causing much foam & dense lacing.

S- Is out of the world piney and citrusy hops up front with honey and a slightly bittering charm. Grapefruit smells explode into the nostrils as well as grassy scents. A pleasure to smell for some time to allow some warming.

T- Hops on top of hops and so forth giving off some floral aspects. Picking up a nice amount of the honey used in this as well. This beer lives up to it's name. Some malts to combine with that honey. As with many DIPA's the grapefruits, mangos and other fruits are also leading the pack. Hopslam gets a bit sweeter with time resulting in more honey. This beer deserves all the accolades it gets.

M- This goes down smooth throughout the 12oz and finishes on the dry side.The honey helps the slight lack of malt to help offset the hops without drowning them. A bit of a slick oily presence to it. Very drinkable at 10% & a hop profile this huge. Alcohol is a non-factor in this case. Medium bodied with good carbonation ad every sip is an eye-opener.

D- I would go through a few of these before it caught up with me but it would be a beautiful ride. A bit on the pricey side but what isn't these days. I would love to drink this occasionally throughout the year but that's impossible without the hops fading after 6 months. Perhaps brewing this twice a year would be a solution.

One of the top tier double IPA's in my eyes.

BARFLYB, Jan 27, 2009
4.43/5  rDev -1.3%

Golden with orange tinge. 3cm off-white head.

Lots of citrus on the nose and some pine. Not as much floral notes as many west coasters, but very nice. Well, perhaps it is floral... But not in the same way. Light, bright, citrus fruits.

Coats the palate nicely. Some malt backbone and a bit of a grainy taste, but the citrus hops dominate with a little bitterness at the end. Much less than expected. There is sweetness, even beyond what's suggested from the malts. Not a super clean flavor as with Pliny the Elder, but still very nice.

A bit sticky. Medium-bodied. Well-carbonated with medium-sized bubbles.

This is rather drinkable. Very inviting hop profile, but the lack of a clean palate limits its refreshing qualities. The sweetness and lack of a bitter bite make it even more drinkable.

An impressive brew. I think I like it more than the Dreadnaught IPA from Three Floyds, but there is likely to be a side-by-side (maybe with Buckeye '76) in the future. Plenty of interesting hop character, but I think the slight over-reliance on sweetness detracts from the beer - makes it a bit too accessible at the expense of excellence. Nonetheless, it is a great beer.

jpiper, Jan 27, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

Popped off the top and immediately the aroma of orangey hops fills the air.

A - Quarter inch head which fades in half and sticks around for the whole ride, cloudy orange hue, very slight sediment can be seen if looked at closely.

S - Very pungent orangey hoppiness, slightly smoky brown sugar malts.

T - Taste starts out with an oily hoppiness and sweet brown sugary malts. Hops get much sweeter and get a more orangey and citrusy flavor, along with a dryer, toastier, smokier malt flavor. Finish leaves an orangey bitterness with a bit of brown sugar.

M - Medium consistency with slightly elevated carbonation.

D - Alcohol aside, this beer is a bit lighter drinking than some double IPAs. Overall though the flavor is completely original and the aromas are great.

umustdrink, Jan 27, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -12.5%

I was a little nervous walking into this beer. As a longtime fan of 2 Hearted the idea of bells making a "seriously hoppy beer" left me... well... concerned.

The smell. Grapefruit. Yup. Grapefruit and lots of it.

The first drink I was really expecting something painfully tart and hoppy. But it was remarkably smooth and floral. Very smooth indeed.

Would I get it again? I'm not sure, in my humble opinion this is probably one of the best hoppy beers that I've ever had. With that said... 16.99 a 6-pack? Hrm... I'll stick with good ole' 2 hearted for now.

cadenwhitaker, Jan 27, 2009
4.15/5  rDev -7.6%

12 oz. bottle, freshness stamp on case 1/6/09. Into a Chouffe tulip glass...

A - Bright orange body with off tannish head. Two fingers of head, that leaves some lacing.

S - Lots of grapefruit. I mean lots. Pine and resin round out the big hops. American pale malt keeps the aroma light and focused on the fruits. Quite the celebration of hops.

T - If you like hops, this is the beer for you. Hop bite kicks my ass from start to finish. The honey seems to be doing a good job keeping the malt profile dry, with only a small amount of toastiness coming through. Strong grapefruit seems to dominate every flavor in this beer, whether sweet, tart or bitter. Burn in the finish reminds me that this is in fact a 10% APV brew.

M/D - The body is light enough to drink more than one.. as long as you don't have anywhere to do... This is what it is, a big celebration of hops. I'm kinda curious what the malt in this beer tastes like, wonder if any will make it long enough to tell me... If you are looking for balance, go somewhere else. Impressive how many different flavors the hops do pull off here, so cheers to that!

SammyDavisJrJrJr, Jan 27, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter.

Appearance: Pours a beautiful copper-orange color that is crystal-clear. Finger-and-a-half of off-white head that lingered for quite some time. Left rings of lacing on the side of the glass.

Smell: Right out of the bottle the smell is immediate grassy and piney hops. In the glass, grapefruit aromas dominate, backed by the grassy hops.

Taste: Strong grapefruit flavors hit the pallet first, with a blast of bitter, grassy hops. Both the grapefruit sweetness and the bitterness of the hops linger for quite a while, providing a nice balance to the beer. The two flavors complement eachother exceptionally well.

Mouthfeel: Feels thick for an IPA, which is good. Body is heavy enough to stand up to the strong flavors. Nicely carbonated as well. Perfect.

Drinkability: This beer absolutely surpasses the hype. It is an absolutely phenomenal beer, and has become my favorite IPA. I don't know if this is supposed to be part of the review or not, but the *only* thing knocking down the drinkability is the price. 18 dollars for a six-pack is a bit prohibitive, despite how good the beer is. Other then that, there is very little I can criticize from this beer.

StarlightSeraph, Jan 26, 2009
Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.