Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 1,773
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.

(Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
paulthebeerguru

Bell's Hopslam
draught

Poured into a snifter. Slightly hazy, pure amber color, that is almost nectar-like. Nice solid white head that dissipates and leaves a white ring around the glass. Aromas are sweet, honey, sweet citrus, along with earthy tones like grassy, floral, and piney from the hops. Tastes are sweet from the honey. Strong hop character; smokey hop flavors. Amazing DIPA! Great mouthfeel, smooth, and very palate pleasing, also a little creamy. Very drinkable, I am actually on my third.

02-19-2008 19:30:30 | More by paulthebeerguru
botham

4.03/5  rDev -10.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip. pours a lightly reddish amber color with a couple fingers of off-white head.

aroma is, well, 'slammed' with hops. mainly aromatic, with a slight spice to the aroma, this brew contains little else than that. a note of fruity yeast accompanies the hops, with a bit of grassy hops as well.

taste is more of the same. up front, there is little else besides a light fruit from the yeast, and at the back is a veritable hopslam (pardon the pun). despite the large hop character, the hops do not overwhelm the brew, but provide a solid and strong base for the palate to work from.

mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a silky texture and a dry, bitter finish.

drinkability is decent. the amount of hops here lower the drinkability, but the smooth profile allow a few of these to make their way to the stomach without any problems. cheers!

02-19-2008 04:02:42 | More by botham
dashirey

4.2/5  rDev -6.5%

I got this one at Canal Street in Reading, PA. Thanks to Dusty for getting some bottles even if the kegs didn't make it.

A - Orange-like with amber color. Not clear but not cloudy either. I likened it to apple juice. Not much head at all and it dissipated very quickly. The beer did not have much lacing either.

S - Smell is fantastic - very strong citrus smell, with some flowers.

T - A little sweet - then hops, hops, and more hops. A strong kick of bitterness in the back of the mouth after you swallow. As the beer warmed, that kick at the end was less apparent.

M - Almost creamy, but not thick. Lots of carbonation early, even prickly on the tongue, but by the end it was again not longer apparent too.

D - Found the beer to be more drinkable after it warmed a bit. I could have another, but no more than that in one sitting. I will seek this out every year it is released.

02-19-2008 01:50:38 | More by dashirey
HardcoreKeith

4.13/5  rDev -8%

Thanks to Paul at Underground Bluz for getting this one on tap.

Poured a medium gold, small head, some lacing. The smell was mostly citrusy hops, but my smell is not refined enough to tell which. The taste was rather amazing. I expected this beer to be much hoppier than it seemed, but the hop flavor was indeed quite pronounced, and was balanced with a very sweet malt flavor. To contradict the reviewers below, it did indeed taste rather alcoholic to me, but then again, well, it is! HopSlam was certainly no chugger for me but I really enjoyed sipping it over the course of 30 minutes or so.

02-18-2008 23:56:58 | More by HardcoreKeith
Georgiabeer

Georgia

4.88/5  rDev +8.7%

Thanks to theformula for this elixir. Let me say that I've been looking forward to this for a while since I love DIPAs and I love Bell's. This didn't disapoint. I traded for a sixpack of this and of Nugget Nectar, and while the Nectar was good I thought this blew it away. So friggin' delicious that I almost sucked the first on straight down.

Pours amber with a thin head but a constant stream of tiny bubbles. I'm not worried about a big head for a strong beer like this, I'm more concerned about what the beer tastes like and how fresh it is. This is one fresh beer! The smell is surprisingly malty and a tad sweet with big citrusy hops following. The taste is amazing! Delicious blend of citrusy and piney hops with a spicy oiliness that coats the tongue and has a flavor almost of cinnamon in its intensity. More pine, grapefruit, and orange follow. The sweet malt and honey play a supporting role that beautifully props up the hops, and there is almost a peach flavor at the end that makes me want to guzzle the beer. Great body, balance, and finish. I know this is 9.3% abv, but you can't tell. Something about this beer makes me want another and nothing else as soon as I finish the first, Uber delicious and almost addictive.

02-18-2008 23:20:57 | More by Georgiabeer
strohme2

4.83/5  rDev +7.6%

This one pours with an orangey, almost light amber color with a decent foamy head. Right off the bat it smelled like a sweet grapefruit. Very appealing. Also detected a citrusy, flowery smell, but man those grapefruits!

Very smooth and drinkable, still more sweet grapefruit and flowery hops taste. I wouldn't put this beer at almost 10% ABV. It tastes strong but not from the alcohol. It's very well balanced.

I couldn't imagine drinking more than two of these and still be coherent.

Hopslam is outstanding on tap and very good in the bottle!!

02-18-2008 20:05:51 | More by strohme2
soupyman10

District of Columbia

4.7/5  rDev +4.7%

If you're a hop fanatic, I can't really imagine a better beer. And I am one, so it works out well. The appearance is good, although not really mind-blowing. Nice copper-amber color with a finger of white head on top that leaves a touch of lacing as the beer drains. Nose is incredible. Tons of piney hops hit you first, then a good bit of candy sweet malt as well. Unlike a lot of DIPAs, this one is definitely hop leaning; Bell's didn't seem to pour on the malt to balance it out, but really allowed the hops to dominate the flavor. But in a good way. Taste is amazing. Tons of piney hops again, some sweet caramel malt, grapefruit, and a touch of decidedly biting sweetness (some reviewers called it pineapple). The ABV is incredibly well hidden - not even noticeable in the least. Body is perfect for the style. Not syrupy, but thick and full bodied with perfect carbonation. Overall, an incredible beer. One of the best DIPAs I've had, along with Southern Tier's Unearthly Imperial IPA and Dogfish Head's 120 (which is a much sweeter beer). Really a great one.

02-18-2008 18:23:52 | More by soupyman10
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

Appearance: Pours a translucent, orangey body with a full, foamy white head.

Smell: Wow, they ain't kidding. Redolent scent stinking of fresh grapefruit, pineapple, and passion fruit.

Taste: Malts are obscured, perhaps rightly so, by the extreme hoppiness. Tons of intense, juicy fruit hop flavors with a moderate kick of bitterness. The 10% abv is very well hidden. Bittersweet finish with a lingering tropical fruitiness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation. Distinct oily juiciness to the mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Extremely hoppy, but it still displays a relatively good balance.

02-18-2008 03:31:28 | More by ChainGangGuy
prototypic

4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

Appearance: It arrived a clear, golden color. Head had somewhat dissipated, but a solid coat of lace lined the glass as it went down.

Smell: Excellent mix of big, piney hops and citrus scents (grapefruit, mango, and perhaps pineapple). Caramel malts are noticeable, but are clearly overwhelmed by the hop aroma.

Taste: Hops are extremely strong and bitter. They predominate, but citrus sweet flavors and a bit of caramel malts are noticeable. Alcohol blends very well and barely noticeable in taste. Nice, dry finish.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's medium bodied and carbonation is very good. At nearly 10% abv, it's strong, but extremely smooth and drinkable. Due to its strength, I wouldn't have more than one or two in a sitting. Overall, this is a fantastic beer. Nice to find it on tap at Brews.

02-18-2008 03:24:46 | More by prototypic
Drew966

4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

Bell's HopSlam pours dark orange with a thin white head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. There's no mistaking the aroma, it's hops, citrus, especially grapefruit stand out. The flavor is the same, all hops all the time. Citrusy and once again grapefruit like. A hopheads delight. Recommended.

02-18-2008 01:36:42 | More by Drew966
Natural510

4.9/5  rDev +9.1%

1/21/2011:

Bumping up the scores after having this on its 11th day of bottling. Simply amazing aroma & flavor....layers of syrupy pine, honeysuckle and jasmine.
Besides, I was a DIPA noob when I reviewed this three years ago.
Proceed...

---
Original review 02-18-2008:

Pours a nice golden-orange color from the bottle, with a nice head which quickly dissipates.

Smells sour (in a good way) and citric, closely resembling lime. Also smells very grainy, likely from the hops. Very interesting & inviting.

The first taste is a powerful twang of grapefruit, with hops creeping in slowly but surely. I expected the hops to overwhelm the brew, but they merely make themselves the star with a solid backing by other fresh flavors.

Tho the head is not retained, it stays highly carbonated, and the extreme bite from the hops keeps the brew very lively in the mouth.

Despite not being the biggest hop fan, I found this surprisingly smooth & drinkable. The hops bounce off the tongue without killing you with their presence. I much prefer this hop-head beer to, for example, the Sierra Harvest Ale, which I found hard to drink.

If this beer is sold in your area, pick it up fast! while it still lasts.

02-18-2008 01:20:17 | More by Natural510
steelcutoats

4.43/5  rDev -1.3%

I picked this one up the Headkeeper in Greensburg last Friday, after being given a sample from the head chef. I consider myself a big fan of super hoppy beers and figured that it was definitely worth a review.

It poured well into my crystal snifter a copper read with about an inch of foamy white head. There was evidence of lacing on the inside of the glass. The nose was sharp with an over-abundance of hops and citrus notes. The taste was bitter, but not over-whelming and sweet with the addition of honey. With an ABV of 10% this is definitely not a session beer, but more adequately a night cap. Kudos to Bell's for such a fine ale.

02-18-2008 01:14:44 | More by steelcutoats
bxbeerdepot

4.7/5  rDev +4.7%

A.. Goldenrod in color (a little darker than most dIPA's) pure white head with a little lacing.

S...Wow, piney citrus floral explosion

T... This is it, the best beer I have ever tasted (note that I am a hophead). This is how double IPA's should be judged. Rumor has it that this is brewed with honey and it is possible that this may lead to the incredible balance this beer achieves. The malt to bitter ratio is incredible.

M.. effervescent and much lighter than I expected for a 10%'er.

D...Careful this beer is deceiving, it is certainly not alcohol apparent .

02-17-2008 21:42:44 | More by bxbeerdepot
hchinaski

4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

On draft @ Bottoms Up Pizza 2/16/08

This beer pours a beautiful light amber color, medium head with a light, lingering carbonation.

The smell is all hops, baby, and the first taste is a mouth-buster. The hops are almost overwhelming, but settle down into an unbelievably smooth finish.

Slightly creamy mouth to the finish, this is defniitely a sipper-due to abv and the taste-bud-blowing hops, but i could definitely go for another one tomorrow.

02-17-2008 15:14:15 | More by hchinaski
Dalem

4.35/5  rDev -3.1%

Dark orange and hazy in color. Small head that doesn't hang on long but a decent about of bubbles (not too many but not too little) stick around the edges and a clean even lacing on the glass (note: I hardly ever mention lacing on these little blurbs but this is Hop Slam. Every little nuance is part of it's charm). The smell is VERY sweet and sour citrusy tang, one of those marihootchie strains that's got it's own name, a walk in a northern Michigan woods on a nice late spring day and a understated malt backbone. Upfront in the taste grapefruit. Before I go any farther if you don't like grapefruit-this isn't for you. Personally though, they're part of my breakfast at least twice a week so I'm right at home having this as the evenings night cap. That dry sour that gives you pucker power. There's definitely a combination of at least a few different hops given this a distinct character. Crisp with a nice medium body in the mouth. Leaves a slight sting on the tongue that lingers but down the throat is smooths all out with the honey and the malt giving a warm sweetness in the finish with a bit of alcohol burn to remind you that this is over 9% abv and 106 IBU's.

02-17-2008 02:59:43 | More by Dalem
PhageLab

4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

Epic. I'd say that's the one word that can do this beer justice. Onslaught would have also been acceptable, but that's besides the point. I poured this one into the Duvel sifter and let it sit for about fifteen minutes while I let it warm and took in the aroma.

A - Pale tangerine coloration which settled to a murky golden orangle with a slight glow. Thin head, decent retention and lacing. Looks like some sort of potion.

S - Gorgeous aroma of peaches, apricots, and hops. You could turn this into a perfume scent Bell's!

T - Addicting hop blast and I do mean addicting. Nice citrusy backing with tons of different fruit notes; apple, grape, peach, grapefruits, and probably more. All of this carries over into a sweet aftertaste. There is a good malt backbone but it doesn't (thankfully) interfere with the hop potency.

M - Warming full body, which is the only part of this brew that even hints to the abv, low carbonation level, dry finish, sweet aftertaste.

D - Anytime anywhere. Watch out though, this one will sneak up on you and brutally beat you BMTH style. This is probably one of the most amazing beers I've ever had. Reco without a doubt.

02-15-2008 17:50:31 | More by PhageLab
JohnGalt1

Idaho

4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

12oz received in trade from jdoncbus ... I had one.. my trading partner had the other ... we both thank you John. Mine poured into my New Belgium snifter.

2 finger head ... leaves spotty but clingy lacing ... hop hazed dark gold/light orange brew.

Aroma is abundantly citrus zest ... smells literally like somebody squeezed an overripe grapefruit into a nicely malted brew.

Flavor is ooohhhh so balanced.. very nice citric/grapefruity hoppy profile... Again.. tastes very fresh. Just enough bitterness to strap down the middle of the road pale malt sweetness.. a little crystal but no caramel. Light/medium body with nice carbonation. Drinkable doesn't describe it... I want a never ending keg .. I could enjoy this one every day and always find something to key on.. something to make me enjoy just being lucky enough to have this as an everyday beer.

Per Steven .. "this is a Great beer ... this is a sittin in the sun floatin the river beer." He is right ... and it is still fantastic when the cold wind is blowing in Boise.

Another big props to trader jdoncbus... John we must again work something out... Now I just wish I had access to all the fantastic hoppy wonders you do... lucky bastard.

02-15-2008 07:43:24 | More by JohnGalt1
Dotcubed

Arkansas

4.68/5  rDev +4.2%

I was eager to try it as I'm falling for hoppyness. Luck was on my side when it showed up at a place I don't normally shop. Expensive at 12.99 but it was a birthday purchase. Maybe 29 is the year I get serious about type face reviews and no more scratchy notes.

This is a beautiful color, honey in a clear jar, the turbidity is aweinspiring. Topping in a nice lace, the aroma of the ripest yellow pineapple makes me think of an awsome spicy pulled pork sandwich I don't have.

It seems less intense than the five I had before it(as the weeks progressed)but bitter. I like the lasting smooth edge. It has a tidy an neat package in store; warm alcohol, sweet malt, and a nice blunt hop. It's a bit aggressive.

I can't say I'd drink it all the time; It's expensive, it's pummels my pallet, and I cant eat spicy food all the time.

02-15-2008 03:32:49 | More by Dotcubed
madtowndmb1

Wisconsin

4.43/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours a nice cloudy amber color. The smell really reminds me of pineapple juice with a hint of hops in there. The taste isn't what I really expected. I expected more of a Smuttynose IPA type beer. The taste was pleasant though, tasted sweet like a fruit juice with the hop bitterness. Extremely easy on the mouth, no bite at all. not sure I'd want 6 in a row, but 2 or 3?, definitely

02-14-2008 22:14:17 | More by madtowndmb1
joepais

Maine

4.28/5  rDev -4.7%

Thanks to MuenchenerKindl for hooking me up on this one

Bottle poured a nice copper with a white head that leaves quickly

Tons of piney hoppy aroma but along with that some nice sweetness

Great crisp almost snappy mouthfeel thinking about doing some hot wings with my next few

This one is well balanced for a hop bomb bitter yet sweet enough to make it extremely drinkable although 10% might be a good reason to keep them to a minimum

02-14-2008 21:18:24 | More by joepais
SaucyA

4.6/5  rDev +2.4%

Let me start by saying... the funniest part about this beer is that a year ago, I couldn't have stomached a sip. A year later, I bought a case of this hoppy goodness.

Hopslam is an exceptional beer, and one of the best, if not the best DIPA out there.

2008 batch, bottled, poured into a tulip.

Golden orange, with a thick bodied pour. 2 Finger, slightly quickly receding bright white head.

Smell is of piney, pineapple hops. Not a ton of grapefruit

Hugely complex DIPA with tons of hops holding through the entire drink. A slightly sweet finish is what lets you know the malts/honey existed in the brewing process. Piney refreshment! A big bodied, perfectly carbonated offering from Bell's.

Drinkabilty is THROUGH THE ROOF. Holy hell I could pound these if it weren't for the high, and unnoticeable ABV. Two will seriously catch up to you, and three, well.. three is purely naptime.

If you can get this, get it. If you can't, you really should start looking.

02-14-2008 01:40:19 | More by SaucyA
theformula

4.53/5  rDev +0.9%

Beer #31 in my 366 Days of Beer Quest, tasted on 1/31. This FINALLY arrives in VA, let's see what all the hype is about...

A: Light copper body into a tulip glass. A monstrous, white head has long-lasting retention and great clarity. Sticky Brussels lace hangs on.

S: Intense! While being assaulted by pine needles, fruit and floral notes, a balancing clover honey malt bill does its best to reign in the hops. The aromatics are awesome and fill the atmosphere w/ hop aromas. Some light phenolic notes and tropical fruit as well.

M: Light-med. body, med. carbonation. A little slick, smooth and light, moreso than most DIPAs.

T: An initial burst of sweet honey malts hit the tip of the tongue along with biscuit. Then come the hops, and they are nicely, assertively hoppy. The alcohol is so amazingly hidden in this beer I swear it could be a 6.5% to 7% ABV IPA.

D: Highly recommended. It's so well balanced with sweet malts and floral, piney hops. And it's extremely drinkable, I could put down a couple in minutes I think. Body is a bit light, but that's my only qualm here.

02-13-2008 22:14:35 | More by theformula
jf60657

4.25/5  rDev -5.3%

A guy brought this to me in my store so I could try A Bells beer which is no longer available in Chicago. 12 oz bottle, poured into a glass.

Appearance: Inviting orange/yellow, opaque and lively at the same time. Head was a small but thick.

Nose: Grapefruit with sugar tones, Very tempting and one of the best smelling beers I've had in a while.

Taste: Strong citrus/grapefruit forward, very bubbly and active in the mouth. Finishes with strong Hops and after the swallow, the grapefruit comes back.

Drinkability: At 9% abvI would'nt call it a session beer at all, but great to start off or on a hot day. I actually ate some m&ms right after drinking it and the hoppy aftertaste mixed with the chocolate was fantastic.

02-13-2008 19:28:12 | More by jf60657
oldefortran

Kentucky

4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

Got this beer on tap at my local haunt and just had to try it due to my love of hoppy beers. The appearance of this beer is a light copper with a nice white head. The smell was very similar to other beers like this, very citrusy hop smell, but also had a sweet undertone. The taste of this beer is amazing. From the smell, you expect to be overpowered with hops flavor, but it is surprisingly smooth and had a slight caramel taste. This beer has a pretty hefty ABV , so you don't want to drink too many of them in one sitting. But, if you like hoppy beers, this is definitely one to try.

02-13-2008 18:35:15 | More by oldefortran
jobyone

4.43/5  rDev -1.3%

Draft. Pours a cloudy Amber with small off white head. The Aroma has lots of citrus especially grapefruit. The flavor is full of hops but also has a nice sweetness. This beer has real depth with fruit and caramel in the flavor. The finish is not to bitter and lingers nicely. Really nice and incredibly drinkable for a Double IPA. I need to comapare this head to head with 90 minute IPA

02-13-2008 13:23:08 | More by jobyone
Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.