Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 2,259
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
4.53/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 5l mini keg into my glass. A huge thanks to dmunroe for this delicious elixir.

A - Pours a beautiful golden orange with a huge three finger off white creamy head. Head retention is very good and sticks to the side of the glass all the way down.

S - Lots of aroma when pouring from the mini keg. In the glass lots of tropical citrus hops combined with the malt and honey to give this beer a nice balance.

T - Taste is tropical and fruity, grapefruit, mango and orange rind and starts with a bitter hop bite. Balanced by the honey and malt sweetness. The move from bitter to sweet is sublime. Some slight alcohol detection, but thats good and lets you know its there.

M - This is a delightfully smooth and creamy DIPA. Medium bodied with an exceptionally smooth finish. Nice carbonation when poured from the mini keg. Not overly sticky and dry like some DIPAs can be.

D - This is no doubt a highly drinkable beer. If not for the slight alcohol detection one could get in trouble with this one. Exceptional balance and it hides its high abv well. Will trade for this one every year no doubt.

this is my first review for BA so i figured I'd start with one of my favorites.

appearance: nothing extremely unique that would separate it from others within the style. looks damn good though.

smell: open a bottle and walk 5 feet away. you can still smell the beer. this is good thing.

taste: tropical fruit, mango, papaya, citrus, cream. all to the tenth power.

mouthfeel: carbonated skim-milk. not too thick but still very creamy. moderate carbonation provides essential texture.

drinkability: too drinkable. i feel the alcohol after the first sip but i keep drinking. this is a good thing.

i really cant say enough about this brew. i used to be a pretty big beer-nerd but other interests have proven to prevail and i've scaled back my obsession somewhat over the past years. that said, hopslam will always be a pedestal beer for me.

4.57/5  rDev +2%

This brew pours a cloudy, sunburnt orange with a fingers worth of head that rolls down the edges with each swirl. The nose brings a tropical hop jungle to your senses. Sweet fruits such as pineapple, grapefruit, and apricot are noted the most. The hop combination is blended so well that I'm now squirming, ready to take my first sip. The taste follows the nose like a shadow. Sweet fruits are awesomely blended together to create a mouthwatering taste that leaves just enough bitter "crisp" at the end. This brew is very well balanced and has a very well hidden ABV. HopSlam is truly the nectar of the gods!! I wish I could drink it all day long!

4.51/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Golden with a slight haze. Pillowy white head which takes forever to fade. A nice sticky lace coats the glass as I drink.

S - Loads of hops, as the name implies. Most are citrusy with an emphasis on graipfruit. I also get some tropical fruit aromas, maybe a little pineapple. Just a rich beer to smell overall, the malts even come out quite a bit. A touch of honey is notable. Ot's one of those beers that I just want to keep smelling.

T - I really don't know what to say here. This beer just has me baffled. I am normally not a BIG fan of the DIPA style and this one had me scared, but I really love this beer. It is not too bitter at all. The hops are huge in this one, but they're very fruity and have been wonderfully blended in the crafting of this ale. Additionally, the balance of this beer makes for a super tasty treat. It's sweet and malty and VERY hoppy and remarkably refreshing and delicious at 10% (which is well masked). I'm still curious as to why this is a winter release... I could dig having a couple of these during warmer weather.

M - Crisp, clean, refreshing. Sure it's a tad bitter, but it doesn't leave all of that in the mouth. Feels almost like an IPA. Take it for what it's worth.

D - This is one of those that you have to watch. If you plan on having multiple Hopslams in succession, you'll start feeling silly in a hurry. Very drinkable as a DIPA.

3.94/5  rDev -12.1%

My 3rd BA Review!

L - Brilliant golden, transparent beer flows freely into my Southern Tier tulip. Capped by a three-finger foam head from the hard pour, with plenty of sticky, thick lacing that holds its form throughout the drinking experience, this beer could not look better. Just gorgeous!

S - Mostly light pine, sharp floral notes, and orange blossom honey. Undertones are a nice mix of lemon, sweet tropical fruits, cut grass, spearmint, and light malts. A bit of alcohol is perceptible.

T - This really is a damn tasty DIPA. Uber-balanced with plenty of depth and character to keep the mind working. Sweet light malts start with floral and pine hops, a subtle hint of grapefruit rind, orange blossom honey, a hint of sweet tropical fruit, and then a long, sharp, piney hop finish. I'd rate this a 4.5 if not for the alcohol coming through a bit too much.

M - Smooth, creamy carbonation that starts medium and finishes thin and a bit dry, upping the drinkability factor.

D - I could knock these back all day if not for a bit too much alcohol in the taste that also affects the feel. The 10% ABV also lowers this score.

Overall, one of the best DIPAs out there, primarily because it is so balanced - there is a lot to like and little not to like. No wonder people grab this while they can upon its yearly release, and I suspect that if it were made year-round, this would be a go-to DIPA for many BAs.

4.28/5  rDev -4.5%

Pours golden with a reasonable head. Smells strongly of citrus hops, grape fruit and a bit of booze. Hop forward. Really strong taste of hoppy, citrus and grapefruit. Balanced relatively nicely with a bit of honey sweetness. Medium mouth and carb. Very drinkable, despite the lingering hop bitterness. 10%? Where?

Drinkability bumped when enjoyed in the back room before standing up in a friends wedding out of the minikeg. Beer drinkers who were not craft beer drinkers were enjoying it - and we walked out reeking of hops :). Never heard of a dipa going over that well with the bmc crowd, yet still being hoppy and enjoyable with the BA crowd.

3.1/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

REVIEW FROM 01-26-2011 05:16:58
I last reviewed this in May of 2009, but later found that it was almost a half a year after bottling, so I attributed my high rDev to faded hops. I just didn't understand how everyone sweated this beer. Don't get me wrong, I love Bells, just didn't understand the Hopslam. Well I thank Dee from Bobby's Liquor in San Jose, CA for graciously hooking me up with a fresh 12oz bottle from the 2011 bottling. I'm tasting this one fresh and pouring into a large snifter to review.

Yields a small quarter inch head after a somewhat aggressive pour. The head dissipates quickly leaving little retention. Cloudy golden orange in color. Good lacing.

First smell impression: sweet, hoppy and balanced.
Lots of hops with some grapefruit and pine, but these are held up with some hefty hops as well. Hinting towards an east coaster, but this one is a no-coaster! Honey sweetness also detected.

Taste is quite sweet with lots of balanced hoppy flavor. I do detect a bit of the booze from this 10% DIPA monster. I'm getting an almost off flavor of rubbing alcohol as well. Not so sure about this one, certainly overrated.

Medium body with good levels of carbonation. Long balanced hoppy and honey sweet finish.

I don't think the hops fade as quickly or noticeably as PtE for example. I also don't think it is fair to the best DIPAs to put this in the same discussion. They nailed it with their Two Hearted, but I'm in the minority to say they missed it with the Hopslam.

REVIEW FROM 05-20-2009 02:31:19
Paid $14.99 for a six pack of 12oz bottles from Discount Liquor in Milwaukee, WI. I'm reviewing on the last bottle of the second six pack I've drank in the last couple months, so I am rather familiar with this brew. My bottle has the numbers 8907 on it. I pour into a snifter.

Light, fizzy, off-white head of about a half inch after a fairly aggressive pour which dissipates very quickly. Cloudy deep orange/brown in color with some transparency. OK lacing.

Strong, boozy, hoppy, sweet and malty all at once. Sweetness of honey with a strong malt backbone and a healthy dose of somewhat subdued hops.

Sweet honey, light malts and resinous, oily hops dominate the mouth. Nothing is used lightly in this beer. As described on the back of the bottle; "A biting, bitter, tongue bruiser of an ale."

The mouth is thick and moderately creamy. Resinous oils from the hops lead to a long, long finish. Full bodied and very lightly carbonated. Goes down pretty smooth.

My main complaints are the lack of a real distinguishable hop character. The hops are overly balanced with sweet honey malt and the alcohol could be better contained. A good beer, but not at the top of its class which I am in the minority in saying. To me this would be a malt lover's DIPA of choice. At first I thought I did not have a fresh batch, but after purchasing a different pack from a different store that tasted similar, I ixnayed that idea. Ah well, to each his own.

4.3/5  rDev -4%

Got in a trade with DoesntMatter46, thanks again Mark. Bottled on 1/4/2011 so just under three weeks old. Poured into my Bruery tulip.

Pours out a hazy golden color. A half finger head emerges from the liquid that is white in color. Texture is frothy and settles to a very thin foam and mostly a ring around the glass. Held to the light it is a very bright golden color yet still hazy. Some foam is left on the sides of the wall but the lacing isn't thick by any standards.

As expected it is very hoppy. Nice herbal hop aroma springs right up the nose. There is also some nice citrus notes that comes though as well. It isn't dominated one way or another for which hop aroma stands out more.

Same as the smell. Huge hop presence in this one. For the taste it is bit more herbal hop. A bit of citrus flavor comes out as the beer is swallowed and this is followed up by some alcohol. There really isn't any malt taste to this to balance this and that is just fine with me. I love IPAs and DIPAs that are very hop forward. As expected there is a hop bitterness that lingers in the mouth after the beer is swallowed.

Medium bodied that is a bit toward the heavier side but it isn't as syrupy as some other DIPAs that I've had before. I really like this. Carbonation is pretty low. Even though there is some alcohol present in the taste, it really doesn't detract from the experience at all.

Well this is a pretty damn drinkable beer. I really enjoyed it being a hop forward beer and am really glad I got to try it again (I had it two years ago or so and don't remember it at all). Is it worth all the hype? That can only be answered by the individual drinker. For me, I really enjoyed it and would seek it out again next year.

4.54/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into a snifter.

A - Nice amber color, thin head with moderate lacing. Had a few of these now, and can't seem to get as big a head as others say. Modesty, I guess.

S - Super fruity hops and very sweet.

T - Extremely hoppy, but not overly acidic - due to the honey perhaps? The honey is most present for me in the aftertaste which cuts down on the bitterness.

M - Not as much body as some other DIPAs I've had -- not good or bad, just sayin'.

D - Tasty, not the best I've ever had, but well worth tracking down once a year, just not every week -- too much hassle. Not too boozy while you drink (though the alcohol is there), but once you finish one you definitely feel it.

Not to be missed.

3.94/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Yeah I had sixer shipped to me, victim of the hype. Poured a hazey orange with a dense yellow head, decent lacing that hung around for a bit. Immediate nose of grapefruit, like slam in the face grapefruit, some flowery notes, caramel finish. Wow this is an in your face beer.

Taste - Well lets say the name fits. Seriously go slam your pecker in the door it's that hoppy. Grapefruit, piney, sprucey, feel like i'm consuming the forest here. It's a dry bitter end, the hops have nuked my taste buds, quite powerful. I like it and rather encouraged that it comes out once a year. If it was shelved year round it would be boring.

4.45/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

APPEARANCE: A bright almost rust orange color, like dark honey, with about a finger of head and light but noticeable lacing.

AROMA: From the second the cap cam off of this thing it was citrus! This beer is almost all hop with a touch, almost an afterthought, of malty sweetness.

FLAVOR: The first thing I taste is grapefruit and citrusy notes. A light honey sweetness and malt sweetness comes in to balance the beer out nicely, and a bit of a dryer finish. The shocker of this? Almost no alcohol heat from this 10% ABV hop-bomb.

PALATE: Definitely a full-bodied brew, but extremely well balanced.

MOUTHFEEL: Sweet, just a touch 'thick' like extremely thinned syrup, but very nice. Lightly carbonated, but the hops seem to just cling to every surface of your mouth.

NOTES: This beer is a sleeper. It does the same thing that Hop Stoopid does to me; makes me want to sit down with a six and go to work. Then, I remember this bad boy is a big 10%.

4.49/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip.

I can't believe I didn't review this beer last year. I had this for the first time last year and loved it, so when "Hopslam day" rolled around in Kansas City I was a glutton and purchased an entire case. Now I'm starting to rethink that decision, not for monetary reasons, it's just a lot of beer to drink when it's on a 24 style ticker. I have two bottles from last year I'm holding onto for another year before I try one and I'm saving two more (probably no more) from this year to do the same thing. If you're reading this review or any of these reviews, you're probably drinking or have just drank a Hopslam. You know how awesome it is. If you missed out this year, I'd bet you're not reading these reviews because why would you want to tease yourself?

I'm going to touch on smell first. When you pour this beer the first thing you notice is not the color, not the pour, but the freaking nose. Hopslam is strong! Several feet back you can smell this beer. This big bold flowery, grapes(!), pineapple, honey, hoppy grapefruit nose. It makes my eyes water if I sniff too hard. Weird sentence. I can pick up a hint of the alcohol on the nose, but siting at 10% I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Now to the appearance. Hopslam looks like pissed off apple juice. It has a very nice golden amber color. Amber seems right. There's some head, almost a finger that resides quickly but there's some very nice lacing on the glass as you drink it.

If you could taste the music while listening to Pink Floyd's album "Animals," it would taste like Hopslam. I can't improve on that.

The mouthfeel is a little too thick for me, from what I want from an IPA. It is Imperial though, so that's more acceptable. I like it though, if this had a weaker body it'd be a total mess. I guess I'm complaining while not complaining. It's very drinkable, as it should be since I have a case. I knocked it down a little for the price, because it's a lot of money for this beer. Also it's annoying that stores play with the mrsp, ranging it from 16-22. I fortunately got it at the low end, but I have a buddy who paid the high end. Also it's very heavy so you can't drink too many of these in one night. If you do drink one of these, make sure that it's the last or your first of more because when you drink Hopslam your palate becomes Hopslam, all becomes Hopslam.

4.26/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Single bottle from batch 10127 brought back by Michael, thanks!

Pours a clear golden color with copper hues... or maybe it's copper with golden hues... either way it looks nice with a finger worth of soapy white head that fades leaving LOTS of sticky lacing.

Aroma is loaded with sticky smelling pine resin and some notes of citrus and honey. Smells good, but not the best I've ever smelled.

Taste is much more interesting and unique. The sweet honey really does a lot to balance out and offset the hops. I've only had Hopslam once before, but I don't remember the honey being quite so prominent. There's also tons of piney resinous hops but surprisingly, it's not all that bitter.

Mouthfeel is fairly thick and sticky with moderate carbonation. Very highly drinkable and unique with all the honey. I doubt I could burn through a whole case of this by myself before the hops fade out, but it's nice to have a couple bottles and I'll seek it out again next year.

4.27/5  rDev -4.7%

A - Medium amber color and clarity with some white lacey foam and medium effervescence.

S - Very pleasant hoppy pineapple bouquet with quite a bit of alcohol. Alcohol/Hops works well together not solventy.

T - Alcohol up-front followed by a pleasing rush of hops flavor similar to the aroma. Very clean malt backbone with some sweetness. Nice bitterness - not exceptionally bitter though.

M - Light to medium mouthfeel. Not as big as one might anticipate.

D - This could be a dangerous beer for IPA lovers. Very drinkable for a hoppy 10% ABV DIPA.

4.14/5  rDev -7.6%

Fresh 2011 bottle. Pours a clear golden orange with a fluffy white cap. Nose is huge on pine, some citrus rind perhaps a touch of sap. Effective hopping on the nose. Caramel malt on the front palate, then a large wash of piney hops that lasts for a good 40 seconds. Hot on the back end. As with previous batches, this has an awesome nose but the mouth is a bit off balance. The hot finish is akin to a splash of vodka.

As weird as it sounds, the best bottle of Hopslam I've had was a 2009 batch about 9 months after the release. I'll probably drink a few of these fresh and sit on a couple to see if that round, peachy profile will develop again.

4.72/5  rDev +5.4%

I'm pretty sure I got the last 6-pack of Hop Slam in metro Atlanta. Thanks to Smyrna World of Beverages and the special guy (you know who you are) who put the last 6-pack away until I recovered from surgery. You earned my loyalty. I wish Hop City treated their customers like that.

Nice looking pour with a about 2 inches of head over a golden/orange ale. Plenty of lacing left by the head and ale.

Aroma of hops, grapefruit, pine and sweet honey. Taste is similar with even more honey flavor and malt on the palate to balance the outstanding hop flavors. I like the multidimensional flavors that come from the hops. I had a Hop Stoopid a couple of days ago which is also very good, but the hops are not as diverse and lean too much on the pine flavor. Hop Slam's hop flavor is more balanced and interesting. The flavors remind me of Two Hearted Ale bumped up a level or two. However, Two Hearted Ale stands up pretty well and is a great everyday IPA.

Medium mouth feel. Nice carbonation. Way too drinkable! I could drink all 6 one right after the other. Almost lives up to the hype, which is tremendous. I'm smiling from ear to ear knowing I have 5 more of these.

4.62/5  rDev +3.1%

12oz bottle

Pours a clear orange color with a fierce white head that lasted a while. I am maintaining a distance from the glass as I pour as the aroma is already leaping from the pour to smack me in the face.

A whopping ton of hops in the nose. Citrus hops galore!

Wow! This is a beer that is well titled! The citrus hops start with a bang and grow into the aftertaste.

Medium body with active carbonation. Very smooth which keeps the hops from being overwhelming.

Amazing! Great flavor and quite smooth!

4.42/5  rDev -1.3%

2 week fresh bottle poured into my Bell's tulip

A: Beautiful golden orange hue that looks like watery honey. A half finger of straight white head slowly settles and leaves some light, filmy lacing on the sides.

S: Lovely hop hit on the nose, light floral but mostly citrus and tropical fruit up front. I'm definitely getting the pineapple. Honey is there too, and as this warms the alcohol most certainly makes itself present.

T: Pretty similar, citrus and tropical fruit. Not getting much of the pine character some people talk about. Hit hard with hops, right before the malt and honey (tries to) tame the alcohol, then they all fall back into place very well leaving a pleasant (and surprisingly light) bittering on the back of my tongue.

M: Just divine. Moderate carbonation, chewy, lightly syrupy but not overly thick. Seriously perfect mouth for the style.

D: Certainly not a session beer but sweet Moses this stuff is dangerously drinkable. I have no problem putting 3 of these back, enough to be sufficiently "hopslammed."

I've always loved this beer, and this year seems more important than others since it's not as available to me as it used to be. Bell's has it spot on pairing that citrus fruit flavor with honey. Classic combo, and bravo.

4.3/5  rDev -4%

poured fresh from the tap a honey gold to a 12oz goblet with a 1/2 finger, solid white head with nice retention and lace all the way to the rim.

huge grapefruit hops aroma, fruity and floral. super sweet.

believe what you've heard. really. prior to today, i've sampled a four month old bottle, and this is my first fresh glass. great big hops, as advertised. grapefruit hops forward, followed closely by tropical fruits. despite the forward hops, bitter isn't present, super sweet. it's hopslam, so it's honey'd - but the honey isn't interfering, it's simply part of the mix.

medium bodied, honey sweet, big hops (though not overwhelming), creamy.

drinkable - hmmm... not really.

edit: popped a fresh bottle a couple days later - very interesting to notice the difference in the hops profile between the bottle and tap. less creamy from the bottle, increased bitter from the bottle. more balanced and more honey forward from tap.

4.85/5  rDev +8.3%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip

A: Beautiful honey orange with a finger and a half of foamy white head. Head dissipates into a filmy white layer but clings to the sides of the glass

S: A boquet of hops--citrusy grapefruit and pineapple up front with some pine and an underlying malty sweetness to balance it out. Smelling this beer is almost as good as drinking it. The grapefruit aromas are even more apparent as it warms.

T: Similar to the smell--grapefruit and pineapple flavors first and foremost. There's some pine flavors in there along with a strong malt backbone that helps balance the beer. Wonderfully balanced with only a little bitterness at the end accompanying the grapefruit flavors. Again, the grapefruit begins to come through more as it warms.

M: Medium body with medium carbonation that accents the grapefruit characteristics very well.

D: Definitely a sweeter IPA, but that sweetness brings balance to the bitterness, making it one of the most drinkable DIPAs out there. Despite being 10%, there's no alcohol anywhere to be found in the flavor, making it very smooth.

Overall and amazing beer and more worthy of hype than many other hyped beers.

4.6/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I picked up a couple of these at the store last week. I have had this beer many times but I have never got to try it the same month it was released. So let's see if this brew live up to all the hype. Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a pint glass.

A- I like the Label on this beer and I like the new matching cap. This beer poured a nice golden color with an orange tint. It had a finger and a half of white foam that died down to a thin lumpy ring that left lot of nice lacing.

S- The aroma is all about the hops, its full of grapefruits and mango's with some sweet honey at the end. This beer smells like a fruit basket of citrus fruits.

T- The taste is pretty similar to the smell. The Hops impart tons of citrus fruit flavors that come together really well. I get lots of grapefruit with some mango's and pineapples. Just like the aroma you get a little sweetness at the end from the honey which helps balance out some of the bitter flavors and ties everything together.

M- Crisp and medium bodied with perfect carbonation.

D- This is one dangerous brew. Alcohol is hidden really well, it says it's 10% but it sure as hell doesn't taste like it. There is tons of great flavors in this beer that makes me want to keep drinking it all night long.

Overall I thought this was one kick ass brew and the best DIPA I have ever had. The flavors were super good and citrusy. Usually I find lots of DIPA's to be overly bitter, but this one was not. This brew did a fantastic job at hiding it's alcohol, but be careful this beer will quickly put you on your ass. Great job Bell's, this beer truly does live up to all the hype. With beers like this, Bells really shows why it is one of the best breweries in the country.

4.52/5  rDev +0.9%

Got this one as a extra from Dreadnaught33. Many thanks, sir. I can't think of a better extra to be sending. Batch code translates to a bottled date of 12/29/10.

Appearance: Hopslam pours a golden, slightly hazy color with highlights of light tangerine. Slightly over a finger of eggshell white forms. Retention is pretty good, and the lacing clings nicely to the interior of the glass.

Smell: There is definite grapefruit and dank hops on the nose. I get a bit of citrus as well, and I can really start to smell some sweet malt too. Very nice smell, I'm definitely looking forward to the first swallow.

Taste: Very in-line with the smell. A lot of grapefruit with minor citrus notes. A ton of dank, piney hop character. Very nice overall, and a treat to drink. After a while I really start to taste the honey-like malt sweetness. It's not necessarily a bad thing, it really balances the beer out.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: The feel in this beer is hands down my favorite part. It's every bit of medium bodied, with fairly low carbonation. One of the few IPAs/DIPAs that is truly creamy and smooth going down. Overall, I'd say it's definitely worth the hype that surrounds it.

4.32/5  rDev -3.6%

Hopslam pours a light golden copperish color with a nice .5 inch white foamy head.

Smells of of honey sweetness with grapefruit hops. I also pick up a grass scent.

Tastes nice and sweet with a fruity hop presence. Not overwhelmingly sweet though.

Mouthfeel is a crisp sting of carbonation with a oily hop residue. Leaves a long lasting aftertaste.

Drinkability is not the highest for me cause of its high alcohol content and sweetness.

4.82/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours honey gold in color. Comparing it to the jar of honey in the kitchen and it comes up a very close match. 1-finger head with a hint of retention. Nice lace coverage over the back half of the glass.

Nose is very strong grapefruit and earthy resins. I get the honey underneath but also get an oily quality on top of that. Very sweet.

Extreme bitters right up front. Oily texture with citrus and herbal hops. Lots of grapefruit with a touch of pineapple. Very thick glass with substantial body to back up the intense bitters. Oily finish, not dry at all. Still leaves a dusty aftertaste, though. I'm getting more honey about 2/3 of the way through the glass.

Alcohol starts to come in more as the glass warms. Nice burn setting in, both from the hops and the abv.

Definitely deserves the hype. A really great beer.

4.57/5  rDev +2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a snifter (bottled 1.11.2011)

A: Pours a translucent dark tangerine color with a bubbly, off-white head. Oily little bubbles form all around the sides of the glass and stick around in splotchy, tight webs around the glass.

S: Loads of clean citrus upon more loads of citrus. There is no question of the hop profile of this beer from an arms length. Dominant notes of grapefruit blended with sweet tangerine with a touch of earthy resin. IF you try hard, you can pick up on subtle hints of honey.

T: A well blended, full flavor beer all the way through. The load of hops upfront gives off a major bouquet of ruby red grapefruit with a touch of floral notes and a certain resin character. The finish transitions into a well balanced sweet caramel malt backbone which is dried out by the honey in a palate pleasing manner. I was expecting an extremely bitter, biting finish but I was very pleasantly surprised how the hops, malts, and honey complimented one another in the finish.

M: Slick and oily on the lips/in the mouth, medium bodied, and dry with very well done carbonation that keeps the beer lively as it dances across the palate. The ABV is entirely innocuous and the finish is one of the most palate pleasing ones I've had from a double India Pale Ale. It just delicately fades away teasingly waving "goodbye" to the tastebuds instead of overstaying its welcome.

D: As previously noted by a myriad of others, this is one dangerously drinkable beer. Full on flavor, remarkably balanced, and one heck of a well crafted beer. I wanted to find faults with this beer given the hype but I've really been pleased through and through. Bell's Hopslam is truly a standard bearer of its style and a damn good one at that.

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.