Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 1,836
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.

(Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
gkatsoris

4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

A: Beautiful golden honey in color and no haze at all. The head was as white as I've ever seen, which really surprised me. The bubbles were so small and dainty.

S: The smell was a very fragrant hop (not the usual citrus hop). The smell of honey was very strong, intoxicating.

T: Very balanced. Hops, honey, and kinda peppery. Very nice (and balanced). I can't believe this is 10% ABV.

M: Not too much carbonation at all. Very smooth and slightly creamy. Hit the tongue, lingered, and stayed there. I loved it!! Again I can't believe this is 10% ABV.

D: I could drink this all day. Ranks right up there with Stone's Vertical Epic, and DFH 120 IPA.

Thanks Nephilium!!!

01-31-2008 01:19:45 | More by gkatsoris
letsgopens

4.93/5  rDev +9.8%

This huge Imperial IPA pours a rich orange amber color with a steady stream of fine carbonation rising from the heart of the brew. The super frothy, almost creamy off-white head refuses to recede and leaves some towering walls of uniform lace. What an attractive brew!

Unbelievable. One of the most amazing smelling brews I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing. Lush tropical fruit: tons of pineapple, ruby red grapefruit, sweet/tangy tangerine, and all types of citrus hop character. A bit floral and bitter sweet. Some mild, sweet malt but mostly just overwhelmingly appetizing citrus hops. I wish I could somehow have this smell surgically implanted in my brain forever. Ridiculously aromatic to say the least. Ugh...

The flavor does not disappoint either. Tons of massive citrus hop flavor. Super fruity with more tropical fruit: pineapple, tangerine, and grapefruit. Bitter and mouthwatering with juicy, floral hops and a sweet honey character. Just a hint of booze warmth despite the higher abv. Bright and indulgent. Very few beers I've had celebrate those beloved little green cones as well as this one does. The lingering bitterness just doesn't give up. Absolutely delicious.

Smooth, velvety and thick with moderate but super fine carbonation. Bright yet creamy mouthfeel. The tang of citrus accompanies the semidry bitter hops insanely well. I feel like I'm understating how amazing the mouthfeel is as well.

The best citrus oriented hop brew out there in my opinion and one of the best overall beers as well. I look forward to this stuff coming out every year with a feverish enthusiasm. One of the best beers out there period. If you've never tried it, make it a point to buy/trade for it ASAP. If you're a hop head like me you won't be able to get enough.

01-30-2008 23:30:48 | More by letsgopens
timtim

District of Columbia

4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

slightly hazy deep honey amberish with an off white head that has decent retention and just okay lace. nose isn't as strong as you would expect from such a tasty, hoppy brew, but it is divine nonetheless. tastes of wet hops and fruit (apricot, passion etc...). also, hints of flowers, herbs and bubblegum as well as a faint fruity malt with some grains. the honey not only adds a little needed sweetness and balance and mellows out the booze and acidity a bit, i think it adds a little fullness and creaminess to the body. dangerously drinkable. definitely up there with the all time best of the best dipas. get it while it's fresh and enjoy it while you can.

update: 2009 batch - this time around seems to be better than last year for me. pineapple abounds, and it is just silky smooth deliciousness. what a beer!!!

01-30-2008 20:27:37 | More by timtim
dedrinker

Kansas

4.05/5  rDev -9.8%

Honey - dark honey. Honey-amber? Thin off-white head. Aroma of green wet hops. Flavors of floral hops, apricot, and sweet grains. The honey added is well integrated - not too sweet, and it seems to lend a silky mouthfeel, or maybe I'm being misled. Alcohol is in check - not much intrusion. Good stuff. Two Hearted Ale meets the Incredible Hulk.

01-30-2008 19:17:43 | More by dedrinker
kwakwhore

4.83/5  rDev +7.6%

Beautiful golden pour with a small white head. Lacing all the way down the glass.
Bitter hops in the aroma promise that this beer will live up to its name, and the flavor doesn't disappoint. This is one shredder of a beer. Bitter piney and citrus hop bite with a plenty of sweet malt and honey to provide a good balance. Before my palate had evolved, I would have found this beer to be too hoppy. Now I think it's just fine, a beautiful example of a DIPA. Two Hearted Ale on steroids wouldn't be a bad description, but this beer is all its own. This is the best DIPA I have ever tasted.
Mouthfeel is just right, some coating of the tongue with hop oils hanging around for a good while.
Very easy to drink, but I doubt I could do more than two of these in a session. The alcohol is not obvious at all.
Another wonderful beer from Bell's. This beer is nirvana for anyone who loves hops.

01-30-2008 04:09:54 | More by kwakwhore
wagenvolks

4.65/5  rDev +3.6%

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance is fairly standard, with a taller head than most high ABV IIPA's produce. The body is clear and pale orange in color, with rising traces of bubbles. Foam slowly recedes to a bone-colored, thin layer and the lacing is good. The aroma is one of the best you'll find in a IIPA: pungent/abundant hops bring floral, pine, grapefruit, and kief notes balanced with a delicate, sweet backbone of honey malts. Flat-out perfect in my book.

The flavor doesn't disappoint, either. Sticky, bitterly sharp hops coat the mouth and deliver a puckering blow to the back of the palate. Mouthfeel is perfectly carbonated and heavy, but not so thick or viscious that it's hard to consume or stomach. The bitter finish is the bread-winner here -- this is what hop-lovers crave. (Oh man, even my burps smell good...nice and hoppy.) The alcohol pairs well with the greenery to give the aftertaste a memorable bite. Although I had no qualms about paying $11.99 for a six pack of Hopslam, a little voice in the back of my mind had its doubts about the hype. That little voice belonged to the man on the label of this beer, Slammed under the weight of massive hops. Rock on, Bell's.

01-30-2008 01:39:13 | More by wagenvolks
MMAJYK

Georgia

4.7/5  rDev +4.7%

A- Bright golden brown with 1/2" of bleach white head after a semiagressive pour. This brew is totally transparent.

S- Grapefruit, apples and pine needles. The citrus-like hops are amazing. There is a nice subtle biscuity and buttery aroma in there too, but when you put your nose all the way down in the glass, you get the alcohol warming all the way in the nose and down to the chest.

T- Nice sweet honey taste with the hops beating down the door! Very citrusy and fruity. Sweet tastes initally, but bitter on the end. Perfect!

M- High on carbonation and medium mouthfeel.

D- Very high for a high ABV brew.

Overall- Unreal. I actually think this has cracked into my top 5 (top 2?!?). It is amazing that the sweetness mixes so well with the bitter hops. It is usually one way or the exact opposite. I loved it, but it is a shame that I cannot buy it here.

Thanks again to my buddy Aaron for having some kin-folk in MI to bring this down for me.

01-29-2008 23:57:28 | More by MMAJYK
udubdawg

Kansas

3.95/5  rDev -12%

12 oz bottle, batch 8283

Decanted as instructed on the bottle, the pour is a light coppery orange, quite clear, with three quarters of an inch of off-white foam. Lacing is decent. I've seen better lacing from this beer, but only when warmer, and from experience I like this one a little colder than the 50-55F serving temperature listed on this site. An uneven cap remains for most of the glass.

The nose isn't my favorite, but it is excellent nonetheless, and keeping to style I'd call it the quintessential DIPA. It is hard to believe after sniffing this beer that I haven't dipped my nose in a vat of various oily citrusy hop juices. (wow, that doesn't sound half bad - bucket list is filling up!) I can't say that the ample malt backbone or the honey show up here, but again this is at about 45 degrees.

Fairly tasty beer. Again glad that I chilled this one in the regular fridge. I had this at 60-65 degrees the other day to confirm my previous thoughts - when warm the sweet malt, honey, and alcohol make for a really full, sticky, hot, nearly hard-to-drink beverage, with the ample bitterness not blending well but showing up in strange fashion in the finish. Yeah, I think I'll make sure I've got these pretty cool from now on. (If you like this at 55 degrees, great - to each their own)
Anyway, when a little cooler the hops shine brightly, citrusy with a little pine. The malt is restrained (in fact the entire body seems a bit thinner), the alcohol beaten into near invisibility by the hop profile, and the honey a vague pleasant sweetness. The overall bitterness isn't TOO high, and lingers at a pleasant level. A hop-head delight!

The body is full and a bit sticky. Appropriate carbonation, and very drinkable for the strength. Perhaps it is because of experience with this beer, but I find myself usually only having one. Maybe I am subconsciously trying to help out the hop shortage, as I could easily see myself having another one or two of these before losing my ability to type. Highly recommended.

01-29-2008 18:09:26 | More by udubdawg
blackie

4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

a: Pours a moderate off-white head with modest retention. The beer is a bright copper-amber in color.

s: Sweet, dripping Centennial? hops comprise the bulk of the nose, and bring aromas of a wide range of cut tropical fruits (mango, grapefruit, big passionfruit, cotton candy...). Nice, sweet ethanol spice. Clean grain sweetness gives notes of light caramel. Like sticking your head in a barrel of whole leaf hops. Comparisons to a kicked-up Two Hearted ring true.

m: Medium, smooth carbonation with a slightly slick medium-full body.

t: Bursting with juicy, fresh tropical hops with a body of clean light caramel malts with a medium-high sweetness. Medium-high bitterness in the finish along with some grain husk notes. Not too much alcohol heat, but I certainly feel the effects pretty quickly. Would benefit from some more range in the malt flavor, which imo would accentuate the huge hopping a bit more. Great nonetheless.

d: easy and delicious, but certainly limited

admittedly, my score belies how much I enjoy this beer

batch 8277

01-29-2008 05:04:55 | More by blackie
hrking

Indiana

4.8/5  rDev +6.9%

I had this last year and tought it was so so but I must say my pallette must be maturing because I absolutely loved this years offering..Helping was the fact this is FRESH..This had a cat piss litterbox nose but when you drink it the clean hops jump right out at you with a surprising easy drinkibility..Not over the top on anything and this delivers a clean freshness...Like walking outside on a ski slope with pines around fresh air. The alcohol is WELL HIDDEN and you can find yourself in trouble in a hurry at almost 10% and the easy drinkibility of this one! AWESOME..Hats off Larry you nailed this one!

01-28-2008 22:42:38 | More by hrking
Homerbag

4.43/5  rDev -1.3%

08 release poured in a tulip. Clean, clear burnt orange with faom head. Not much rentention, but left a ring that laced perfectly down the glass.

Smell is good, but not impressive. Nice citrus smell is center stage. Good balance, clean water.
Taste is spot on. Great mix of hops that don't make it feel like a pine tar tea. Clean finish, with a bit of citrus after taste. Not an overwhelming punch like other IIPA, but very tasty.
Feel is good, not to thick, not thin, just about right. I like them a little thicker, but that is personal preferance.

Yes this is a good beer. This worth buying a sixer if you are a singles buyer. I would make this a staple in my beer fridge if it was available more often. I hope I can find this on tap. There is a lot of hype to this brew and it is justified. Not the end all be all, but very good.

01-28-2008 20:40:32 | More by Homerbag
mnstorm99

4.8/5  rDev +6.9%

Waited until I had it this year to review. This beer is as good if not better than I remember it.

Nice orange copper pour with a nice white head that sticks the whole way down.
Beautiful aroma's of grapefruit and other citrus.
Taste is great malt sweetness (carmel) and a great citrus hop punch that is extremely well balanced
Mouthfeel is perfect, smooth and juicy. leaves your mouth watering for more.

I want another...now!!!

01-28-2008 14:51:56 | More by mnstorm99
wardough

4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

I'm damn glad that I had the chance to buy this beer.

A: Pours a beautiful syrupy color into a tulip glass. Wow, this looks awesome. Ring at the top.

S: Hops. Caramel. Sweet Pineapple. Nice.

T: Awesome. It's a party in the mouth. Sweet malts. Nice hops-somewhat grassy. Freaking enjoying this one.

M: Full bodied. Nicely carbonated. Awesome.

D: This is a sipper, but awesome.

BLUF-this is a beer that you should seek out. Well worth it.

01-28-2008 00:53:03 | More by wardough
evanackerman

3.9/5  rDev -13.1%

well, the only thing that really needs to be said about this beer is that it smacks you in the face with hops. hops, hops, hops. not much nuance to this beer, if that is your thing then this is the beer for you. I wasn't sure if I was drinking a beer or grapefruit juice until the 9.5% alcohol crept up.

I do like this beer, It hits the spot if you have a hop craving, but in truth it is not that much of a brewing accomplishment if you ask me, very one-dimensional, and for the price there are better DIPAs out there. That being said, it is has certainly accomplished what it set out to do.

01-27-2008 21:03:19 | More by evanackerman
MiScusi

4.38/5  rDev -2.4%

Thanks a bunch to markgugs for thowing this into a trade a surprise... I've wanted to try this for a while now.

A- Pours a crystal clear light orange when poured carefully so as to not pour any of the yeast. Bubbly white head emerges but fades fast.

S- Very citrusy. Like citrus resin.. oils... usually I only get that sort of intense freshness from piny hops but it came through in this one.

T- The taste is citrus all the way... orange... tropical type flavor with a bitterness that really clings to the mouth. Sticks there for a long time.

M- Pretty slick but not too thick or syrupy for a big DIPA.. especially at 10%, so it's good to me.

D- A pretty drinkable DIPA... though the stickiness limits it from being amazing.

01-27-2008 05:27:20 | More by MiScusi
brewdoc75

4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

I picked up a couple bottles of this at Thomas Liquors in St. Paul.

Looks pretty solid w/ the pour. Reasonable head that dwindles down to a lacy finish. Oranish/amber color. Lively carbonation. The aroma is what stands out immediately. Excellent hop profile w/ tangerine, grapefruit, and even some melon-like profiles. Very inviting, very appetizing. The taste is awesome as well. I feel like I'm hit over the head w/ hops. This beer is bitter, but not too bitter. The aroma and flavoring hops seem to predominate. Very citrusy and fruity flavors here. I'm amazed at what this little flower can do. My only problem is the lack of malts. THey are there, but just not as present as I would like. The mouthfeel is nice, but a little thinner than I would expect for a DIPA.

Overall, an outstanding beer. It's positives are the strong aromas and fabulous hoppy flavors. The negatives are the lack of a strong malty profile and the slightly thin body. Ultimately, this is an excellent DIPA and I will be drinking it again and again.

01-27-2008 00:01:05 | More by brewdoc75
gpcollen1

Connecticut

4.05/5  rDev -9.8%

This one comes courtesy of Grandcrudrew...

Decided to pour this one into my Sam Adams glass. This one has that wonderful aroma of light and sweet grapefruit captured for sure with just a light and hot streak of alcohol running through it.

This one hits that mouth with but an instant of light sweetness and heads right down the path to hoppiness. A quick twang that expands very quickly and slowly thins out to but a dry bitterness - into cottonmouth for sure. A bit of alcohol shines through here and there that makes this one a bit hot to an extent - but highly drinkable for the ABV with a light-moderate body.

This one is nice but not a must have.

01-26-2008 02:05:16 | More by gpcollen1
grandq

3.9/5  rDev -13.1%

Popping the top - grapefruit, pine and canteloupe. I'm used to the other scents but canteloupe is a new one. This pours a shade of amber I associate with the containment of prehistoric bugs. The taste is heavy on the grapefruit - and I like that end of the DIPA spectrum - with plenty of apricot, orange peel and a nice hot spicy background that reminds of Belgian IPA's. Not much of a malty body to start, but becomes a bit more prominent as this warms up and helps prop up the fruity bitterness. This finishes a bit dry for my liking and is a little lacking in layers. It's also a little medicinal on the very tail end, which is unfortunately what lingers. Even so, I keep coming back for another smell and sip. And another. If it weren't for the slightly unpleasant notes creeping in at the 11th hour, this might be toward the top of my DIPA list. Big thanks to Hoppymeal for the chance to try this (as an extra no less! karma). In spite of qualms, I'll come back if I see this on shelves.

01-26-2008 00:11:15 | More by grandq
Phocion

4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

A local bar got a case of this stuff in last night and since I haven't been able to find it anywhere else I decided to try a bottle. Expertly poured by the bartender into a Unibroue tulip. Bright cloudy orangish-tangerine color with a massive white head that took its time to fade away into a thin crown that stayed until the last sip.

Massive nose that wasn't as bitter as I had expected, but nonetheless was very pleasant. Definite billing of citric hops; thick fruity aromas such as apricot, peaches, oranges, grapefruit, and pineapple with a tiny hint of pine as well. Nice malt base for the balance; caramel and honey.

Very bittersweet flavor from the citric fruit-salad with just a touch of sweet malts to keep them in check. Very dry finish.

Excellent carbonation and definitely quite a bit of body to this one. Strangely I have never had a beer that could feel so creamy yet so dry and crisp at the same time. For a DIPA approaching 10% I had absolutely no problems finishing this and the only reason I decided on a Two-Hearted afterwards was that I still had to drive home.

01-25-2008 21:23:37 | More by Phocion
Lordsloth

3.63/5  rDev -19.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle.

Appearance was a slightly cloudy orange/amber, with a finger-high white head which hung around for a few minutes. Smell is good- fruity, hop-filled nose. Taste suprised me a bit, didn't seem like a strong Imperial-style IPA- maybe the honey sweetness hid some of the hop bite? Mouthfeel smooth, a bit oily. Balanced. Drinkability is all right, but something about the taste threw me off, maybe the honey.

Apparently, I didn't like it as much as most. Still a tasty beer.

01-25-2008 20:39:50 | More by Lordsloth
genog

4.58/5  rDev +2%

12 oz glass served at mad mex.

Arrived in a tumbler style glass with very little white head resting on top. Burnt orange color that is a little cloudy. Aroma is pure hoppy goodness. Plenty of citrus with grapefruit punching my nostrils followed by a little pineapple and mango, with maybe a little of pine, spicy hops. Taste is extremely balanced. I get a bitter aftertaste but that is first met with a strong malty sweetness. Moutfeeling is just right for this style. Not a lot of carbonation, but not flat at all. Had this beer with some spicy wings, it was perfect.

01-25-2008 13:38:43 | More by genog
bobhits

Kentucky

4.43/5  rDev -1.3%

Appearance. Nice orangy cloudy color. I poured to quickly but it's got a nice thick off white head and leaves a nice lacing on the glass.

Smell. Wow...this stuff is strong! Often I only can smell a beer the first few times I take a sniff, but this stuff is POWERFUL. I have a very fruity smell. Perhaps orange and grapefruit?

Taste. The first taste I got just seemed weak. Not really sure why, but definitely bitter and hoppy. The second taste really brought out the hops. It's got that grapefruit flavor that hop heads seem to debate over. Personally, not for me in general though this beer has something else going on there that makes it enjoyable as opposed to be just drinkable. There doesn't seem to be much of a malt back to this. There is a nice sweet start to it, but it doesn't last long and isn't very strong. It might be the honey but it seems to have a bit of an orange flavor in there which is probably why I like this more than other grapefruity beers.
Mouthfeel. Without much malt backing it's somewhat weak in that department. I like my double IPA's oily and almost sticky with the hops. This fall a little short in that area. It could also be the alchol slipping through that adds a bit of roughness to this other wise solid mouthfeel.

Edit a few years later. This one grows on me and is just great stuff. A touch too much alcohol and not the best carbonation and body, but that doesn't hurt this one at all.

01-25-2008 00:44:30 | More by bobhits
atrus138

Kentucky

4.72/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured this from a 12 oz brown bottle into my tulip glass. Appearance is solid, though not exceptional. Pure amber color with a minimal head and lacing. However, its unexceptional look is deceiving. Upon raising the tulip to my nose, I am greeted with one of the most sensational aromas my two nostrils have ever beheld. Absolutely unadulterated hops. Delicious fruity smells such as grapefruit, pineapple, and mango. Crisp pine smells also sing their songs. Lying underneath all of this is honey. Rarely does a beer leave me in such awe before even taking my first sip. Taste does not disappoint. Hops like crazy. Super unbalanced, but really, a malt presence would just get in the way here. Mouthfeel is surprisingly perfect for this. It's nice and light considering the punch it packs. Great carbonation. Really, I wouldn't change this one bit. Extremely drinkable. This is a work of art.

01-24-2008 06:24:07 | More by atrus138
NCSUdo

4.45/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle, batch 8277

A: Pours a clear golden under a fingers worth of head. Minimal lace, good retention.

S: The hops hit me when I took the cap off the bottle. Huge leafy hops, huge on grapefruit with a definite tropical twang and some pine. A biscuity malt backbone is there as well.

T: Surprise, big on hops throughout. Citrus with some hints of honey, alcohol is apparent in the finish and is slightly drying but can't overcome the big, but balanced, bitterness.

M/D: Carbonation is there but in appropriate quantities, slight creaminess to a light to medium body and some big hop oiliness that coats the mouth. Drinkability is good on this one. A very fine example of the style.

01-24-2008 00:34:29 | More by NCSUdo
morimech

4.22/5  rDev -6%

Pours a cloudy amber with a slow forming one-fingered white head that slowly recedes to a small cap. Some sticky lacing is left behind.

Pop the cap off the bottle and your nose is assaulted with the citrus and piney hops. That is about all I can smell in the room now. It does fade after the pour in a few minutes.

As another reviewer has said, it is like biting into a grapefruit. The malt does slightly balance the hops but let's face it, the hops are the star of this show. I sense alcohol in the taste as well the warming affect. I think it adds another dimension in this beer. A cleansing action to the hops. I can feel the carbonation is low but it is like the hops just make the beer "pop" on the tongue and makes it tingle. Medium body and a slight oily feel. The first beer goes down nicely, the second is slower, and then you suffer from palate fatigue and you might as well stop drinking this one for the day(not to mention the ABV). I bought a 6-pack and I will enjoy it over a few days.

01-23-2008 23:42:09 | More by morimech
Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.