Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 2,178
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
4.6/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from a bottle during an Imperial IPA "competition"; faced off against DFH 90 Minute IPA.

A: Light copper to dark yellow, some goodies floating around in the beer. Off-white/ yellow-cream head. Good head retention, and great lacing left on the glass.

S: PINEAPPLE with a bit of honey sweetness. Picked up some other citrus flavors, orange and lemon, as well. In addition to the citrus bang I have already listed, I was pleasantly surprised to pick up some grapefruit too! Man, I love citrus hops in my IPA's/ IIPA's...

M: Light to medium bodied. There was some stickiness/ oiliness from the hops. Carbonation is great - lower which allows for more surface area of beer (flavor) hitting your taste buds.

D: If I was left with one beer in this world, and this was it, I would be a very happy man. Aside from the the higher abv (10%), this is a beer that you won't want to put down.

3.43/5  rDev -23.6%

Bottle, batch # 8912, which was born of Jan 13, according to the website. So, over three months. The beer is underwhelming. Aroma is hoppy, possibly a little solventy/resiny. Taste is sweet, almost to the point of cloying. There is a bitter grapefruit rind finish. I believe this is my first DIPA and I find it oddly disappointing. Given my anticipation of bitterness, I thought I would welcome a sweet malty backbone more. But it might actually be too sweet. 10% alcohol? That will be a hoot when I try to stand up.

3.38/5  rDev -24.7%

Batch #8907, bottled in January according to the website, drank in April. Had high hopes for this one but not initially floored as I thought I might be. It's only 3 months old, but perhaps it's starting to fade a bit. My question is, should a beer lose it's quality that quickly? I dunno... but I will definitely seek out an uber fresh sample of this when available and compare it with these notes. As is this beer pours a sturdy looking amber color, darkish, with a small head fading pretty quickly. Smell is hoppy, citrus mostly, orange peel, but then dominated by a sweet maltyness. Very heavy on the malt as well in the taste. I'm not getting destroyed by the hops here. A vanilla sweetness and an orange citrus flavor prevail over everything else. Perhaps a little too sweet from the added honey. And a little boozy to be honest. If there was a bigger hop presence this may be covered up but it's just not holding up. Malty, sweet, sticky, chewy, kind of clumsy. Not trying to knock this beer as I may not have the freshest example (but I did have three bottles to make sure) but it isn't world class in my book.

4.31/5  rDev -4%

Yellow/Golden with a sizable off-white/tan head. Laces moderately well.

A bit of citrusy hops, with honey dominating. Also, the slightest soap smell, but its very barely noticable.

A blast of hops greets you with the first sip, complimented well by the honey. Grapefruit and grassy notes abound.

Fairly oily, with a mild carbonation.

The hops start to overwhelm as it warms, but this is still quite sippable throughout. Great brew, but not quite at the top as far as IPAs go. I'm glad I got to try this - thanks bobbydigi! (via another member.)

4.32/5  rDev -3.8%

I've been meaning to review this bad boy for a while now...finally got the chance.

Appearance: Pours a nice clear, golden color. Head foams up nice, about two finger widths. Settles slowly with some nice lacing left behind.

Smell: Hoppy, just a bit of pine, nice! Not overwhelming either...it actually has a slight bit of sweetness to it.

Taste: Smooth and hoppy. I was expecting more of a hoppy punch at the end, but it is actually finishes off nicely. Bitter but not overwhelming, with just a little bit of pine. Delicious!

Mouthfeel: Mouthfeel was okay. I was expecting a little more carbonation and a heavier feel to it. Regardless, it was smooth and refreshing.

Drinkability: Highly drinkable if you like hops (which I do). High ABV makes this less of a session brew and more of a one-timer, atleast for me. Still, I will definitely be drinking more of these in the future.

4.79/5  rDev +6.7%

12oz. Usually I carefully decant Bell's products, but not this one. Poured a cloudy but bright amber color with a rocky, off-white head with good retention and a nice lacing. Huge floral hop and pine aroma coupled with grapefruit. Mouth-feel is thick and juicy, some carbonation that allows the flavors to cover the entire palate. Juicy ripened pineapple and grapefruit explode on the first sip, it's sweet like fresh honey, but the bitter piny hop finish is fantastically balanced with the malty sweetness. Alcohol is well concealed. This is an amazing ale. Always a favorite of mine.

On-tap it's even better!

4.35/5  rDev -3.1%

Appearance- Slightly clouded amber with a creamy white one finger head.

Smell- Fresh and herbaceous hops and a sweet malty backdrop

Taste- A brawny malt backbone with a touch of sweetness, a fresh herbaceous hop blast and a long bitter finish.

Mouthfeel- Big and palate filling with moderate, smooth carbonation.

Drinkability- Big flavor might limit drinkability, but not for lack of flavor. A real winner.

4.31/5  rDev -4%

Poured a 2f white head, with nice lacing. Fairly clear, amber/orange color and light carbonation present.

Smell is simply awesome - like a buttery biscuit drizzled in honey, sitting in the middle of a pine forest. Oh, and a glass of pineapple juice sitting next to it.

Taste was quite well balanced - high on the hops, yes, but nearly equally rich maltiness. Grapefruit, resin, sweet apricots, and a hint of smoke as it warmed.

MF was rich, as expected. Juicy hops, with a lingering film on the tongue, and slight burn of alcohol on the throat.

Amazingly drinkable for the ABV, and this is how the beer becomes dangerous. I would not want to be faced with this on tap at a bar - without adequate cab fare in pocket, and a free schedule the next morning.

4.15/5  rDev -7.6%

On tap in Bloomington, IN. Had this some time in January 2009.

A: Bright orange and slightly cloudy. A white head with glimmers of the beer in it.

S: Simply put, this is the most amazing nose I've ever encountered. An overabundance of hops combined with a clear scent of honey, and a powerful malt base to back it all up. I know this scent will be good in a month or so, so I really need to savor it while it's fresh.

T: Much like the nose, this is utterly without parallel (sorry to Mr. Pliny, I haven't had the opportunity yet). This is how every DIPA should be made. The malt is certainly there, but does nothing to even content with the luscious hops that come on. Simply brilliant. The honey is certainly a nice touch, too.

M: Medium bodied with good carbonation.

D: Could be the only beer I'd ever drink again, if Bell's were so gracious as to devote 50% of their capacity to this one.

4.25/5  rDev -5.3%

Thanks to DoctorDog for this one in a trade.
12 oz Single.

A: Light amber color with about half an inch of dense creamy looking off white head. Slightly hazy. Gobs of lacing all around. Fair amount of carbonation moving around in this one. Very nice looking DIPA.

S: Hops, and a fair amount of them, but a fair amount of sweetness too, which is interesting for the style. Lots of honey, caramel, and candy like sugar smells in this one to go along with the hops. Hops are earth, and strong, some citrus and pine too, lots of different hop smells pulling my nose in a few directions. Very nice though.

T: Not what I expected at all. Extremely balanced is the first thing that comes to mind. Not a flaming hop bomb like I expected. Hops are there, and definitely in abundance, but there is a huge malt profile to match it. Hops are bitter, and earthy, but not overwhelming. Malt profile is honey, caramel, and sweet. Really the epitome of balance in a DIPA. Lots of hop flavors and resins, but a solid malt backbone to hang with it. Not a hint of booze either. Impressive. I'm thoroughly impressed.

M: Medium thickness and carbonation. Quite dry, and slightly puckering from the hop characteristic. Slight alcohol heat once it hits my gut, but not really terrible. Spot on for the style.

D: Well...for what it is, this is one of the more drinkable DIPA's. It doesn't burninate the tongue like others with hop dominance, and it has great balance. If there is such a thing is a session DIPA, this would be it. Really a great beer, and I wish it were more readily available out West. I'd really like to try this beer on tap.

Thanks Ben! We might have to arrange for another trade on this one!

4.09/5  rDev -8.9%

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass. Pours a hazy golden amber color with a small off-white head that quickly disappears, pretty good lacing. Aroma is mainly hops; pine, resin, grapefruit, and a decent caramel malt backbone. Flavor is also mainly hops. I get grapefruit, resin, honey, and a touch of alcohol. Very strong bitter finish puts action to its name. Very good beer, warms pretty well also.

4.87/5  rDev +8.5%

on tap 3/19/09.

had this one on tap at the Bavarian Lodge in a 12oz. pub glass. a very clear presence with a light golden hue. great lacingleft on glass and tastes of tart honey with a sharp, bitter, and citrus punch that lasts long. fruitful and wants to be be drank all day long, but had to hold back from the extreme temptation. looking forward to many more of this fantastic brew!

4.92/5  rDev +9.6%

A- Pours beautiful golden/amber color with a thin off-white head that leaves great lacing.

S- Strong piney hop nose. Some delicate floral and citrus (mostly grapefruit, orange peel, and lemon). There is the slightest bit of honey detectable.

T- Wonderful hop flavor initially with a strong pine and grapefruit taste. There is a sweet malt honey flavor that attempts to balance the bitter hops. The hops eventually win that battle but the sweetness gave a respectable effort.

M- Medium bodied and crisp. Way more balanced in terms of bitter hops/sweet malt than I expected.

D- Superbly drinkable, could easily become one of my favorites.

Notes: This batch was brewed about 4 months ago (Jan 09). I have heard that the hops fade quickly which may be why I perceived a much better balance of malt and hops than expected. If this is the case, I will most certainly be looking to try a fresh one next time around.

ReReviewed on Jan 10, 2010 with a fresh (2 week old) batch:

A- Slightly hazy orange amber pour with plenty of white lace - 4.5

S- Massive aroma of tropical citrus hops and honey - 5.0

T- Huge hop explosion with flavors of pineapple, orange, ruby red grapefruit, kiwi, lemon, and passion fruit. A prominent yet delicate honey flavor helps out for a balanced finish but this baby is all hops. Absolutely amazing - 5.0

M- Medium bodied with great carbonation. The alcohol is hidden incredibly well - 4.5

D- One of the easiest drinking IPA/DIPAs out there. Huge hop flavor with the alcohol being exceptionally well hidden. This beer was great with a few months on it, but it is absolutely phenomenal fresh. Buy and drink immediately - 5.0

4.32/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours clear gold, with a head that dissipates quickly, retaining a thin layer of foam and leaving a little lacing on the glass. Smells of sweet hay and citrus, with some brown sugar sweetness. A concentrated grassy hopslam it is. It has a strong citrus, I'd say grapefruit flavor, yet a balanced sweetness level. Most of the taste comes out at the beginning. Though concentrated, it is a well balanced beer. The mouthfeel is light and refreshing. This is one to make you sad when the glass is empty and definitely glad to have another.

4.12/5  rDev -8.2%

This is one appropriately named beer. Pours a hazy golden-orange and the nose is, well, hoppy. Lots of citrus right in your face. This is one you can smell across the room. In my book, that's a good thing.

The taste has a lot to live up to after that smell and, for the most part, it does. It's definitely typical of your citrus-y IPA with, if anything, a bit more fruity than I expected.

I split a sixer with a friend and they went quickly, but it's definitely a palate-cleanser. Not sure I could transition from this to something else, but hey, it's good enough that you don't need to.

4.37/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured into a Maudite Snifter yielded a Honey color with a tall white head that dissapated to a thin layer rather quickly.
Every variation of pineapple is obvious. By this I mean, Fresh pineapple, canned pineapple, candied pineapple etc. Honey is also a dominating factor. Alcohol is also very prominent.
Once again I feel as though i a drinking a less acidic high alcohol pineapple juice. Hops are strong but balanced by a honey/ caramel bready malt backbone extremely well. Alcohol is the only factor preventing a perfect 5.
Syrupy thick, well carbonated and an extremely full body.
A fantastic Double IPA. The only downside to this beer is the high abv. I understand its a double but it is a little overwhelming at times. But none the less a fantastic beer.

4.16/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pours nicely with an ok amount of head. It stayed around for a while and laced well. The rest of the beer didn't lace too much. Smell was intoxicating. The only imperial IPA with more citrus and robust hops smell that I have had is Pliny. After the amazing smell that didn't hold back a bit I was expecting more from the taste. I have a bottle back from an early January batch and i have heard that the taste is better with freshness on this one. Citrus fruits, hops, and honey dominate the beginning and middle but the end of the flavor is pretty big on malt and alcohol. It's pretty good on mouthfeel but it's a little light. i will definitely try this one again next time it is available.

3.85/5  rDev -14.3%

Clear-amber/orange topped with two fingers of off-white head that hangs around forever. Smells like citrus-hop-candy: sweet, caramel, citrus, bright, honey. Flavor is too sweet for me. Balance is close to what it should be, but sweetness of malt (honey?) is too much for the style. Hops are great both in aroma and flavor. Fairly light feel for the style. Not too cloying or syrupy. Easy-to-drink for such a big beer, but sweetness prohibits slows things down.

4.2/5  rDev -6.5%

A: Pours a hazy yellowish amber color. Provides a small white foam head with decent lazy.

S: The name is hopslam and the hops are predominant (shocking, I know). Lots of citrus hops with just a slight hint of malts. Complex and appealing.

T: A great combination of hops and malts. Hops are most prevalent, but there is a smooth sweet malt kick as well. Blended well together.

M: Leaves a nice dry hoppy finish on the palate.

D: A really high ABV keeps this from being a session obviously, but 2-3 in a sitting is more than doable.

4.16/5  rDev -7.3%

Batch 8907 Bottled on January 6, 2009

Its a little over 3 months old but still my first time with this beer. Pored from a 12oz bottle into a Pilsner Glass.

Hazy orange, with sediment floating wildly. Minimal head.

Smell is citrusy and hoppy.

Taste, subdued hops. Grapefruit. Nice balance.

Mouthfeel, well with the sediment its not exactly A+, but could be my fault from an over excited pour. Laces the tongue with an almost sour taste.

Drink, decent. I can only imagine how much better this would be fresh, but until than, this is what I have to go off of. I'm not going to knock it for not being fresh but I most likely won't give it a score it deserves. Or hell, this could be how it normally tastes.

Anyone I would drink this again but prefer a fresher bottle.

4.25/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

An overwhelming smell of hops. Almost like a garden's fresh topsoil. Smells like spring flowers.
Pours deep ruby red with golden edges. Pure white head is beautiful.
It tastes like eating a rose garden, in a good way.
Biting bitter taste invades my taste buds.
It's delicious but not what I would categorically call very drinkable.

4.77/5  rDev +6.2%

My favorite double IPA to date. Pours a nice amber color, smell sensation with citrusy hops and some I couldn't describe. Just delicious. The hop taste is just perfect. I was glad I decided to split this six pack because the alcohol was so well disguised I would have been in a world of hurt later. My friend is not really a beeradvocate and he loved it. Must try!

4.13/5  rDev -8%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass..Pours a nice coppery hue. Aroma is overwhelmingly pleasant, with some citrus, piney, and earthy notes pleasant. I'm guessing several types of hops were used here, with a surplus being put on the aromatic hops. The flavor is extremely balanced well. The hop flavor profile seems to lean on the citric side, and it isn't nearly as imposing as I anticipated, which is not a bad thing here. I wouldn't guess this was any where near 10%. The malt profile really comes through well, and I the taste of honey works rather nicely. All in all, definitely on my top 5 IPA's because of its balance.

4.35/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured a nice orange/golden color, like the color of brandy. Had a nice white head which retained good lacing at first but subsides as the beer settles.

The first smell I got was hops, then citrus and pineapple ,and the taste was the same. The first flavor is the citrusy hops, then a little sweetness and then the alcohol. Although it's a strong 10% the alcohol blends right in and the beer is quite deceiving in this respect. Lastly the hop bitterness lingers, but in a good way. The feel in the mouth is oily and the carbonation is quite noticeable but not overbearing. All in all a great balance of all the flavors. I've been drinking a lot of IPAs lately and this one lives up to its reputation. I think I like the Stone IPA a bit better though, however this one is definitely in a class above the rest.

4.22/5  rDev -6%

I received this bottle from Bruisin Ales in North Carolina, great transaction, I will definitely be doing more business with them in the future.

The beer pours a great amber/orange color with that nice IPA glow. There is a small white head that dissipates quickly but the lacing is thick and slow to move down the sides of the glass.

The smell is very sweet, citrus hops and honey for sure. There is a little pine and floral hops as you investigate further, but the citrus and honey dominate.

The beer tastes exactly how it smells, bitter citrus hops burst over the tongue and the honey follows it up for a very nice balance. The honey sweetness adds a nice balance and masks the 10% abv very nicely.

The beer is carbonated perfectly and feels great, nice and smooth, not too much alcohol flavor present making it very drinkable. I have been drinking the Harpoon Leviathon lately but this beer blows it out of the water. Similar abv, but the Leviathon doesn't hide it well at all, whereas the Hopslam is something that I could drink all day. Great beer!

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.