Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 2,247
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
4.8/5  rDev +6.9%

Appearance: Glowing golden amber with a fluffy, soapy white head.

Smell: Citrus peels and honey.

Taste: This starts out light with a mild battering of citrus zest on the tongue before laying down the hammer with agressively fresh grapefruit, orange peel citrus hop and white pepper but wow it's oh so magically balanced with an indescribably complex bed of malts. Oh, and there's that underlying honey/orange sweetness like a touch of sunshine. Perfect DIPA 5.0, easy to drink, and very hard to believe it's 10% ABV, that is until 3 bottles later...

Mouthfeel: Smooth and medium bodied.

Drinkability: Legendary? Perhaps. Yes. Again, it's 10% ABV? Very, very good. Hops are fresh and tasty, but this one's got the balance and complexity to prove it deserve's an A+, and not just another hop bomb. Had this one on tap at the MN Brew Review as well.

2012 note- not as spectacular this year.

4.85/5  rDev +8%

Of the thousands of people trying this I consider myself special getting an entire growler fill (felt I overpaid though spending 23.25 for the fill)

A - Stunning IPA color, bright golden light amber with a light head that does make for some bubbly lacing.

S - Not so much "in your face" hops smell but I did get pine and citrus with a very well placed honey.

T - I couldn't believe how light the flavor actually was. Harsh at first making me think the IBU's were around 70 or 80 my palate adjusted itself. After the second pour the honey and hops played a symphony on my tongue. The malt base being the most complex I ever seen I could barley detect the ABV unless warmed but in my experience it was best served cold. Amazing.

M - It was pretty hard to get a feel but mostly medium bodied even warmed it was still very drinkable.

D - Wow it was amazing and worth every penny (which I kept telling myself in a drunk state) I could never imagine killing off a mini-keg within a few days time because just 5 put me under. Still to date it was one of the most drinkable DIPA's I ever got my hands on. If you can find a sixer for under 20 bucks buy it. It will be worth every penny.

4.67/5  rDev +4%

Got this one in trade from Another6pack.

A: Pours wonderful golden/amber/orange color. Great white head with medium bubbles hangs on for a while but t does dissipate. Great lacing on the glass.

S: Great sweet honey like notes right away. Really get the hop profile in the nose, as it is the dominant aroma. Very dry nose to this at the end.

T/M: Taste is really just great fresh hops all the way through. Some bits of sweet honey at times in this one. However, the freshness of the hops really makes this a killer beer. Love the smooth mouth feel with its scrubbing feeling on the tongue. Great semi-dry finish doesn't overpower or make this a hard drink.

D: Love this beer! First year I have had it, and thanks to a great trader, I got my hands on this gem. The fresh hop character is amazing. Dry hop aroma in the nose and a great hop/honey balance in the taste make this an amazing beer. I will be seeking this one out next year for sure.

4.92/5  rDev +9.6%

To start off, I think I should say that I like IPAs, but not a whole lot. A few have blown me away: Widmer Brothers Deadlift, Bell's Two Hearted, and Bell's HopSlam (of course, I've had maybe a dozen IPAs in my short beer life).

The appearance is as clear as water but golden. The head is white and doesn't last very long. The smell, oh goodness the smell. It's beautiful. Grapefruit, easily. Also some floral scents that I think are a bit also like honey. A very smooth scent. Speaking of smooth, the taste is incredible. Same as the scents, a bit like oak, too, somehow. It might be the warming feeling. Speaking of that warming feeling, I can't taste much if any alcohol, and this beer makes me feel slightly warm all over. It creeps on me, though, sneaking in, making me take another sip. After several sips, there is that bitey, tongue-scraping feeling, but balanced well with the taste and the rest of the mouthfeel. A bit sticky, like honey, and warms the tongue after a bit. This beer is incredible.

4.82/5  rDev +7.3%

Batch number 10127, bottled on January 11th, just one week ago today. So, only a week old. Great.

Poured into a Duvel tulip. Great two finger egg white head. Dissipates fairly quickly and leaves some sticky lacing along the glass. Mostly clear dark yellow body that looks awesome in the glass.

This aroma is beautiful, the best IPA/DIPA aroma I've had so far. Hoppy grapefruit, tangerine, orange. The citrus and floral hops are prominent. A little sweet malt in the background.

The bitter hops dominate enough to make the flavors pop. Such a great blend of hops, it's really one of the most complex and deep hop profiles I've ever had. Add in the grassy, pine resin bitterness and you near hop perfection. The sweetness of the malt and the hint of honey in the background are the perfect complement in the flavor.

The mouthfeel is smooth, not overly carbonated. Almost TOO easy to drink for the abv. What a fantastic beer. A must have. It has risen to the top of my personal list as my favorite DIPA. I only wish it was available year round.

4.32/5  rDev -3.8%

The elusive HopSlam, we finally meet again. It has been too long, since our last encounter and yet it is a new rendezvous as this is our first time in a bottle. Now, I divulge.

A- Poured into a pint glass and yields a finger thick head. It is golden with a small trace of sediment floating about.

S- From the time it hits the glass I knew that this would be a pleasant experience as the smells erupt into the room. A strong smell of grapefruit, piney, and floral hops are apparent in the nose, one of the better hop aromas known to man in this one.

T- Alright, the nose of this beer is not at all deceiving as the flavor explodes on the tongue with an initial grapefruit/citrus flavor followed by a piney and slightly resinous aspect. I would not quite say that this is balanced by its somewhat sweet characteristics, but these are present. After a couple minutes of taking a sip, the bitter, resinous hop flavor is still there. This is a treat for the tongue.

M- The mouthfeel is nice for this beer. After not taking any sips for a few minutes, there is certainly that sticky feel that I do appreciate that comes from a more balanced IPA. Not extremely dry.

D- It is somewhat surprising that this beer is 10%. This is a beer that would definitely creep up on me. I could have at least 2 of these, but I'm sure that I could go further.

Excellent beer. Forget what the haters say, get you some HopSlam, be happy, this reminds me how good a DIPA can be.

4.25/5  rDev -5.3%

I have to admit that I was a little afraid of this beer. The name. The hype. The description of "biting, bitter" etc. . .

But I was pleasantly surprised to crack open a very balanced, yet hop-forward, slightly sweet ale.

Pours a just slightly hazy gold with a pillowy head, that you hear as much as you smell as it bubbles and fizzes into your glass. None of the floaters that I associate with most Bell's beers. Tastes of well-balanced hops (not too floral, or on the other hand, earthy), with a sweet honey finish, that backs right up to a bitter hop aftertaste, that is dry enough not to bother. Very good mouthfeel, again, balanced carbonation and its dry enough to mask the high ABV. Frighteningly drinkable.

4.1/5  rDev -8.7%

12oz bottle. Batch 10127. Bottled january 11, 2011. Poured into delirium tulip.

A - bright golden color with a thin white head that dissipates rather quickly leaving some sticky looking lace on the walls of the glass. The body is extremely clear and looks pretty nice, but the head is slightly lacking for such a hoppy beer.

S - very resinous pine and grapefruit hops with a sugary sweet backing. Very slight notes of honey and pollen that meld with a bit of an alcohol ester. Not much else here but a little more residual sweetness and hop resin. Fairly one dimensional.

T - there is a decent pop of hop bitterness upfront, mostly grapefruit, pineapple, and touch of sweet orange. The flavor of the honey is fairly apparent with a nice flavor of wildflower honey that balances the bitterness very well. Bordering on slightly too sweet, the beer walks a thin line between a sweet boozy mess and a well-balanced masterpiece. I really enjoy the flavor, but i don't quite out this flavor up there with the better DIPAs I've had.

M&D - the mouth is nice and fairly slick, but not too oily. Might prefer it a touch drier in the finish. The drinkability is pretty high for a 10% beer, but i wouldn't want to see what happens in the morning if i drink a number of these.

Overall, a really nice beer, but there are plenty of other less hyped DIPAs with similar qualities that can be had. Not quite worth the chase in the end.

4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

Let me preface this by saying that I had this with a 2010 Hopslam as well as a 2011 Sierra Nevada Hoptimum.

Poured from a 12oz bottle (from Brawleys, A HUGE THANKS to Mike Brawley who has always been incredible to me) poured into a Delirium Tremens Snifter.

A- A golden, hazy, orange with a finger white head that doesn't stick around but leaves a decent lacing on the glass.

S- It smells like I just squeezed fresh grapefruit. Awesome smell that just screams "DRINK ME."

T- Right upfront its Grapefruit and pineapple. The citrus hops shine and the hop bitterness is there as well. A slight hint of sweet malts and slight honey round out this great taste. A phenomenal complex flavor that you can't really improve much on.

M- Medium bodied. Silky, smooth. Solid.

D-The alcohol is evident, yes but it's 10%abv and it seems as if it is a 5%ish abv. Phenomenal.

So this is the first time I have had the famous Hopslam. I thought for sure (as posted in the forums) that it couldn't possible live up to the hype but it did. I will be getting as much as I can tomorrow to stock up. This beer is exceptional and I can't wait to have more. This beer is head and shoulders above the SN Hoptimum I compared it to.

Great Job Bell's

4.12/5  rDev -8.2%

This years batch poured from the bottle into my DFH signature glass. Had this one a couple times before and I've loved it every time. The price sucks but the beer is great.

A: A slightly hazy golden orange with about a quarter inch of white head that doesn't stay around long. Leaves lacing on the side that you would expect from a beer like this.

S: Mostly pineapple and grapefruit with some hints of the high ABV with some sweet malt notes.

T: Sweet malts, maybe a touch of honey, pineapple and a little grapefruit. A little heat from the alcohol. Leaves a nice bitter aftertaste that isn't really there as much as you would expect from a beer that calls itself biting, biter. I would say it is sweeter then expected.

M: Silky and oily.

D: The alcohol is rather evident I know i struggled with a growler of it last year.

Review 100!
355 ml bottle. Batch 10101, bottled Jan 4, 2011.
Major thanks to Rob C for the hookup.

Pours a semi hazy crisp golden with a foamy white head. Nose is huge on grapefruit, pine and citrus hops! Sweetness from the honey comes through too, brilliant. Taste is bitter upfront, a hopbomb of flavour with pine needles piercing the tounge. Citrus and grapefuit, surprisingly smooth in the finish balanced by a wonderful malt profile. Honey is a great addition. Medium bodied, creamy mouthfeel, plenty of carbonation. The smoothness and balance of the hops/malt make Hopslam incredibly drinkable. Not sure I would have too many in a session though based on the ABV and limited supply. Grateful to get to try this amazing beer! One of the tops of it's style for me.

4.34/5  rDev -3.3%

Quite excited that our local beer bar The Beer Trappe had this on tap. Poured a nice bright orange/amber with a very soft and thick off white head that did not want to go away. Smell oh where to begin hops fruity citrus hops some pineapple and honey with a hint of alchohol. Taste is fantastic sweet upfront with fruity hops and honey followed by a small malt middle with plenty of hops to bite your tongue. Finishes dry and crisp with warming alchohol and a boat load of citrus and cut grass hops. Mouthfeel is silky smooth with a nice body and well balanced carbonation. Drinkability is scary with this beer as it carries a 10 percent abv with it but is so delicious I kept wanting more...and did!

4.72/5  rDev +5.1%

Batch 2011 10093

a- The beer pours from a bottle into a pint glass with about 1/2 inch of head that quickly dissipates. there is some nice lacing around the edges with a very thin film of foam left now. There is a moderate amount of fine bubbles rising throughout the beer consistently. The color is just slightly darker than yellow, with a red/orange hue to it, like it has a small amount of amber malt in it.

s- The beer smells of floral citrus, mild alcohol, and a subtle peach. A very refreshing and rich aroma that is quite pleasant. The only thing that would really make it better is more of it.

t- The taste hits you first with a mild alcohol mingling with what appears to be some fresh hops maybe. There is a lot of hop flavor and a moderate amount of residual sweetness left over. This is all well balanced by a great bitterness that lingers on subtly. I get the peach taste everyone mentioned, but very mildly and heavily mixed with the alcohol flavor.

m- The beer feels maybe a little thinner than i would have preferred. The bitterness lingers on the tongue in a perfectly balanced, appropriate amount I think. There is a certain creamy or frothy quality to the beer that I am really enjoying right now. The CO2 bubbles play well on the palate.

d- This is an extremely drinkable beer that ranks at the top of my list with other great craft beers. The 10% will get you in trouble as I am only halfway through one right now and I can already start to feel the ABV a little bit. Smooth, clean flavors, and a complexity from all those hops and grains make this a knockout that will be enjoyed to the last drop.

4.54/5  rDev +1.1%

Hopslam's in town. Take a vacation day.

This does not quite live up to the expectations or hype...yet it comes damn close.

Look is a handsome deep orange but with no head. Quite a lot of film on the glass. Hazy. Looks volatile.

Aroma, a rich ripe fruitbowl of fresh pineapple and grapefruit,a wee bit of apple,like the old style Grimes Goldens. Theres a bit of caramel too.

Flavor Yum! Definite weave of Pineapple and Grapefruit all crispy and fresh ( it just hit town a couple days ago) with traces of the malt side. The malts are slightly toasty,caramel-toffee but are the backup band here.
The honey appears as a subtle element of the finish with a note of pine. Real interesting how the pine + honey are so delayed,then step forward as the fruit leaves the stage.

Mouthfeel This is real good for an IPA or DIPA,pretty full and creamy,enough heft to match the zip and zing of the hops Hopslam also wins for aftertaste which has a long linger yet is not too strong.

Drinkability...Maybe the ABV is a bit of a limit,and the price is rather high,plus there's availability,plus it's a beer best very fresh....but..it's a beer you don't want to quit. Looking at the empty...hurts a little.

4.82/5  rDev +7.3%

The 2011 Hopslam has a beautiful citrus nose. It is dry and hoppy but with a delightful hint of sweetness.
It is like a fine wine that keeps you thinking about it after it is gone. The only caution is the alcohol. For some a boon others a bane.
Quite possibly one of the finest beers on the market today.

4.77/5  rDev +6.2%

Odd to say but complex and simply great finish.
Hops and honey and Bells.
It poured wonderfully as I sat in front of the tap.
So often the uber hoppy dries your mouth before you set the glass down. Not here. After earlier on the day stating that two hearted may become Bells flagship, here now is Hopslam.

4.77/5  rDev +6.2%

I poured this 12 oz. bottle into a large wine glass.

A: luminous pinkish golden-honey color with just a hint of haze, the eggshell colored one finger quickly falls into a lovely cap with very good lacing. This is one beautiful beer.

S: lots of grapefruit, blood orange, honey, honeysuckle flower, the malt is very sweet and reminiscent of birthday cake. Wonderful and unique.

T: the first bit to hit the palate is honey, quickly followed by orange, grapefruit, and pineapple, the middle opens up lemon curd, and then a rising tide of bitter orange peel, juniper, a flash of alcohol, and then what can only be described as sweet grass, finally to be overtaken by a nicely bitter, slightly mineral finish, with flashes of sweet honey and floral notes, all wrapped in a alcoholic haze. Wonderful.

M: medium-bodied, super-silky, almost oily at times, low carbonation, palate-coating.

D: This is a beautiful beer, and worthy of the praise heaped upon it by its devotees. Count me as one of them, now!

4.4/5  rDev -2%

It smells like honey and hops, as opposed to just hops, which is a nice change of pace from other hopocalptic brews. Like the rest of this beer, the smell is not overbearing.

The honey comes back in the taste. A little bit of citrus and plenty (but, again, not overwhelming) of hops.

This is probably the most dangerously drinkable 10% beer I've ever had. That's probably the most exceptional thing about it, not to diminish the deliciousness of this beer. I just drained a bottle like it was a PBR. I am pretty sure I could clear a mini-keg of this before being rushed to the hospital for hop overdose.

This beer is a snake in the grass. It's that guy who wants to date your daughter and calls you sir, but you know what's on his mind. This beer will smile at you as it is stealing your wallet. This beer lied to me. It told me not to worry about a thing, but that's all just a complex deception, designed to distract me from its nefarious plot to take over the world. Stop HopSlam before it is too late! Stop it before it takes over even this si...<CARRIER LOST, NO CARRIER:0>

4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

2x 12 oz bottle poured into snifter. One bottle poured and drank at a time. Both bottles finished within an hour.

A - A nice golden honey color. Thick foam head after pouring that capped quickly. Maintained a nice light head through out the entire drinking experience.

S: The nose is extremely sharp on this beer, as it should be. The hops hit you right away. Really the smell of this beer is great. This is the best smelling hopped up beer I have experienced thus far.

T: For me, this beer is all about the finish: the taste you are left with after you swallow. I get the malts going into it. Right after swallowing the hops bite in. Its great.

M - Surprisingly light. Leaves a very thin, nice film on the tongue, that holds the taste, and dissipates shortly after swallowing. Feels great going down.

D: Dangerously drinkable. For 10.00 ABV you sure can't taste it. I finished my two bottles with ease. It sneaks up on you too. I didn't notice it until I stood up from the bar :)

This is definitely a nice beer. This is the first really hyped beer I have tried (I haven't tried Pliny, Dark Lord, etc yet) so I really can't say if it lives up to all the threads or not. I can say, that it is very enjoyable and worth trying. That's for sure.

Best wishes

4.92/5  rDev +9.6%

Ahh. The first hopslam experience, lets see if the ridiculous hype is justified.

Poured from 12oz bottle into Duvel Tulip (bottled on 01.11.11, served on 01.17.11)

A: 1" white head recedes to nice cap, clear golden copper color, lots of messy lacing

N: like hops straight out of the pack, website says dry hopped with simicoe, but I definetly get strong wiffs of centennial....the nose is pretty incredible, smells like freshly opened packet of fresh hops, PINEAPPLE, pine, some grapefruit and other tropical fruits

T: this is almost exactly what I was expecting after all the hype, the 4 different hops used each make their presence known in a very distinct manner and to my surprise I feel I can detect a substantial honey element....this is not a bracingly bitter DIPA, but a tender one with subtle use of excessive hops...this is unlike any DIPA I've ever had, not sure if its the honey or the malt, but I do get some sweetness that holds together the massive hop profile....no heat, clearly world class

M: light for the style, but perfect for the hop profile, its amazing how light the body is considering the abv and flavor profile....truly amazing

D: as reported by the legion of threads, this is a ridiculously quaffable DIPA, can see my stash disappearing in front of my eyes rather quickly, after finishing the first bottle I stare longingly at the second, the 10% abv is the only thing holding me up...this sneaks up on you quicker than any other beer I've ever had

the hype seems mostly justified, don't know if I would say this is absolutely 'better' than Smuttynose Big A and Nebco's Gandhi-Bot, especially since it seems to be a different beast altogether (those two are more west coast styled with chewier mouthfeels and vicious bitter finishes)...but my scores speak for themselves

4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

Bottle 10073. Reviewed 17 days after bottling.

Pours a nice deep golden blond with just the slightest bit of haze. The head is perfectly white with a very sticky, foamy lace that settles relatively quickly into a variable bubbly mass. Aromas and flavors of pineapple, mango, dried apricot, honey, lemon and linden flowers. In the back there is a hint of warm summer, grassy, earthen malt. The bitterness is present, but very balanced with the sweetness of the beer's finish. After warming up a bit the 10% alcohol is very present. Not in a boozy, solvent way, just a 10% way. A very nice showcase of hops. A very unique double IPA.

4.07/5  rDev -9.4%

Frest 1/11/11 bottle pored into a tulip.

Pours an prange copper color with a small head that disappears quickly. Great smell with pine and citrus. Great taste with a definite honey taste and the bitter follow up at the end. A little more bitter than I would like but at 10% it complemented very nicely. This beer is not as smooth to the palate as some others, but at 10% it is still perfectly fine. I could drink this beer very quickly, but more than 2 and you will be out for the count. This beer does live up to the hype it gets, and will deliver the hops in the backend after the sweetness just like it says.

4.63/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Batch #10094-bottled 1/4/11
A: Dark yellow with a bit of golden/orange hue to it. A bit hazy. Small white head. Surprisingly not much lacing left behind.

S: Really juicy and fresh citrus hops come though right of the bat. Some grapefruit, orange, pineapple and honey. Sweet toffee malts as well.

T: Tons of juicy, fresh grapefruit, citrus and a bit of resinous, pine hops to start. There's some slight tropical fruits as well, mainly pineapple and a bit of mango. Its hoppy, but there is so much of a sweet malt backbone, that you don't get destroyed by the hops. I think the honey really helps here. Finishes with a sweet and bitter hop kick that lasts and lasts. I don't think I've ever had a more balanced double IPA.

M: About medium bodied. Moderate carbonation. Very, very slick feeling, it just slides around the palate.

D: Amazing drinkability. Delicious. Goes down way to fast for being 10%, you would never guess its that high of abv.

4.12/5  rDev -8.2%

12oz bottle of newest batch poured into shaker.

A - A nice, straw to darker yellow with just slightly off-white rocky head. Sticky lacing.

S - Love this smell. It smells like wet hops, with orange, honey, and lemon. Also get the typical pine resin.

T - Tastes like the hop bomb that it is! Very bitter with pine needles, grapefruit and some sour nectarine. In the back you do pick up some of the honey but is mostly overshadowed.

M - Medium and juicy.

D - Excellent beer, and drinkable. I only wish a little more of the honey was profiled, still great though.

4.6/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Minikeg, hot off the presses, shared with BA mermatinger and several other dudes. From notes taken on 01/14/11.

Presentation: The HopSlam artwork is cool; the particular green color used looks badass on the minikeg. ABV and a short description of the beer are also present as on the bottles.

Appearance: Poured rather vigorously from the minikeg into my 24oz oversize snifter, it is a deep honey/amber color with an immense, eggshell white, foamy head. It is dense with great retention and beautiful lacing. Light, floaty carbonation bubbles rise and the three-fingerwidth head gently begins to settle to a soapy foam.

Smell: Hoppy (obviously), grassy, citrusy, with a bit of honey and malt as well.

Taste: Citrusy, zesty hops over the palate with a nice, malty undercurrent and a touch of honey in the finish. Perfectly balanced and delicious.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, sweet, coating, and bitter; a harsh, glowing bitterness lingers on the back of the palate from the resinous hops.

Drinkability & Final Thoughts: The beer is superbly drinkable. You'd never be able to tell it yields a 10% ABV from its smooth mouthfeel and ease of drinking. While it is very hoppy, it is not overwhelmingly hoppy like some other fresh IPAs or Imperial IPAs, which often renders those beers much less drinkable. In fact, it's not the hoppiest beer I've ever had, but it is certainly very hoppy in its own right. The important thing is that the powerful zest of the hops is balanced extremely well with notes from the malts and honey used. I highly recommend the experience of sharing a minikeg with a few friends, but I also had a bottle the day after this review and it was also great. Obviously.

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.