Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 2,046
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.

(Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
4.88/5  rDev +8.7%

Had this on cask at Uncle Mike's. Thanks Bells!

I love this beer on draft but I am in love with this beer on cask.

A - This beer is probably a little prettier on draft, but still a great lookig beer on cask.

S - Smells sweet and citrusy. Love the smell.

T - The cask version seems to mute the hop twang a little, but also hides the alcohol as well. Maybe hides it a little too much, if you know what I mean.

M - Smooth and creamy.

D - This exceptional beer was a delight to have on cask. I could drink this beer every day, but definitely not all day.

4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

In a snifter:

Opaque pleasant golden honey color. The smell has tons of pineapple, some grapefruit, and a touch of cranberry. Taste starts with honey follows up with lemon and pineapple. The bitter's a little lower than I had hoped for. Not hot, but alcohol is there. Excellent body. Fine carb, well done. I seriously want more. Only thing against it is a slight taste of alcohol.

Overall: This is my favorite IPA at the moment. The pineapple is really awesome. I would do anything to see Bell's distribute to MA.

3.25/5  rDev -27.6%

Thanks to my friend Jim for buying me a pint at WB's this evening. Nice to find on tap here in our home town. Now, to the review...

A - Very nice. Pale yellow in coloring with a nice head.

S - Fruit and hops. Sweet smelling. A nice IPA but not the best.

T - Fruit with hops. I like a bitter IPA and this was a sweet IPA. Double IPA???? Not sure. According to BA, it is a double IPA but only because of the ABV was very high...not because of the flavor. Fruit dominates this beer. Bananas and Pineapple are very noticeable. Too much so if you ask me. Also, hops was not up to par. Hop Slam....not for me. More like a hop spittle. Was on tap so it was ultra fresh but not something that was over the top like most Imperial IPAs for sure.

M - Clean and refreshing but other than that....just good in my book.

D - High ABV and not that much hops, just average for me. Also, since this is only brewed on a seasonal level, not that impressive. I have had better. Sorry.

Now, before I get slammed from other BAs, remember this review is my opinion and not any one elses. I love bitter IPAs and this was not that bitter. Good at best. Will I seek this out? No, especially since I can get better IPAs at a much lower price. Just average in my book.

4.3/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into Samuel Smith pint glass. Bright clear golden orange, 1" frothy bone white head. Sticky spotty lacing remains along with a thick foamy cap of head. Aroma is sweet floral honey, earthy piney orangey citrus. Taste is outstanding, sweet floral honey up front, bitter grapefruit in the back, long bitter finish. Mouthfeel is smooth and full, finish is long and astringent. A glorious beer. So easy to drink if you love the hops.

4.97/5  rDev +10.7%

I have only had this wonderful beer on tap. Not complaining, the best way to get it if you can.
The beer was poured in a classic Imperial Pint glass. The color was golden amber with a hint of a cherry color hue with a thick creamy head that clings to the glassware.

The smell is what I would describe as addictive. I wish I could find a candle to burn that smells as hoppy and complex as this brew. The beer smells of citrus and grapefruit with a nice whiff of sweetness.

The taste is so balanced of grapefruit, citrus, and honey. It has deep body and malty balance to blend with the herbal overtones.

The mouth has a feel of something so flavorful, balanced, and lightly carbonated that you want to hold it there forever. But swallowing does allow you to have a second pint!

It is hard to believe that this brew can be 10.2% alcohol. It is masterfully balanced and easy to drink. The aroma and feel are so wonderful that you can keep drinking. BE CAREFUL, it will sneak up on you because the alcohol is so "disguised" by the artistry within.

4.08/5  rDev -9.1%

This beer poured a nice clear orange color with a thick and creamy long lasting off white head that left some nice sticky lacing.

I greatly enjoyed the smell with a nice bit of lemony hops, white pepper, and some buiscuity malt.

The flavor had a mild sweet biscuit and bready malt body with hints of pepper and alcohol finishing with a lightly minty and lemony bit of hops.

The mouthfeel was suprisingly thin for a beer of this strength and lacked a bit in the oily viscous quality that usually comes with a good double IPA.

I liked the flavor and found it extremely balanced and drinkable for such a big IPA, but I thought it was a bit underwhelming overall. I expected it to have a bit more pop to it and definitely more hops. Very good, but I was expecting exceptional, and especially a bit underwhelming with the very high price.

4.95/5  rDev +10.2%

WOW BEER!....Still just smelling this beer anfet 3min..can't get enough....nice deep gold..white head...WOW wonderful hop nose..grafefruit...citrus oohh so good...WOW again..soooo goood nice mouth feel med carbionation...wonderfull balance...WOW nice linger of hops but not overpowering...I could drink this all day!...Thanks Megaman2006...
I am gonna have to get this again!

4.93/5  rDev +9.8%

Had both bottle and on tap
poured light amber in color with a thick creamy head that stuck around for a long time

smelled of citrus almost grapefruit with a bit of sweetness

Even though it a strong grapefruit taste, you could still detect a hint of honey

mouthfeel was excellent with a light carbonation and a very clean finish. hop flavor does not linger

This ale is almost too drinkable because at 10% abv it's easy to get slammed

Found the draft to be better than the bottle because it seemed a little smoother. you would never know it was a 10%er

4.43/5  rDev -1.3%

Was lucky enough to walk into my local distributor to be greeted by the 2 cases they would receive this year. Easy decision to pick one up. Took it home and poured into a glass after letting it warm on top the kegerator for 20min or so...

A - Poured a copper, not quite bronze color with a small head (even with a vigorous pour). Almost no lacing, which was surprising.

S - Smells of delicious hops with a little citrus and a hint of pine. I thought it hid the 10% ABV well (though I was feeling it).

T - Delicious. A great citrus-hop flavor.

M - Fairly light beer with light carbonation. Lightly coated my mouth with its delicious flavor.

D - Save for the high ABV, this could nearly be a session beer for me. Though it would be a real short session...

Fantastic beer. A real pleasure to sample (and for my first review)!

4.6/5  rDev +2.4%

Thanks tjmodica for hooking me up with a bottle of this stuff.

A - Poured a copper color with an off white head that leaves lacing behing

S - Is a nose full of hops with a citrus and pine scent

T - Its like drinking hop juice excellent hops up front citrusy has a slightly sweet finish

M - This beer has a creamy smooth body with light carbonation to it

D - I didn't know this was a 10% abv beer until I found it here to review I don't think I've had a beer with this abv that was so drinkable I could have easily drank a few bottles without knowing better if I had them definitely worth seeking out to try

3.98/5  rDev -11.4%

Served from a bottle into an American pint glass.

Appearance - copper colored with a firm head - gone quickly. Minimal lacing.

Smell - nice, hoppy nose (citrus, pine) with an attractive sweet background.

Taste - the amount of hops expected in a DIPA but with a pleasant honey sweetness vice maltiness. Very unique.

Mouthfeel - lots of effervescence with a long warming effect from the high alcohol content.

Drinkability - a bit sweeter than I normally prefer but a fine ale nonetheless. An interesting take on the DIPA style.

EVERY YEAR I LOOK FORWORD TO THIS BEER. ANY TIME ONE BOTTLE HAS THE SAME AMOUNT OF HOPS THAT SIX CASES OF BUD DOES THAT IS A GOOD BEER. THIS YEARS HAS A SOFT PINE AROMA WITH A HINT OF HONEY. THE TASTE HAS A RICH GRAPEFRUIT AND ACIDIC FLAVOR. IT HAS A HAZY APPERANCE IN THE GLASS, BUT THE TASTE IS SMOOTH.

3.53/5  rDev -21.4%

12oz bottle poured into hi-tech Sam Adams glass

A - "Ale brewed with Honey" on the label...hmmm Pours a rich straw-yellow color. Small head that goes away quickly on a fairly rough pour. Very clear, medium carbonation.

S - Pleasant floral smell and sweet grapefruit. Maybe some lime. Makes me thristy. No sign of honey yet....

T - Wow...hopSLAM indeed. Lemongrass bitterness right away. Very drying and bitter. Almost a menthol like effect when you exhale. Interesting but overpowering.

MF - Medium bodied. Mouth is coated with hop oils. Very dry finish

D - I am a hop head and this is borderline too bitter for me on the taste. 10% ABV is well hidden. 1-2 12oz bottles is about all I could handle with this overpowering hop presence. Don't know the cost as this was a trade.

Overall, I don't like the grassy-type flavor of these hops. I am a west coast hop kinda guy and these are not west coast hops. Too bitter and grassy for me in flavor. Smell is very nice though, probably the best thing about this beer.

4.97/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured into a pint glass. Clear amber color with a good carbonation. Poured with a half finger head that dissipates rather quickly.

Picked up a bit of a piney/hoppy smell. Also picked up some citrus smells.

Taste starts out bitter and hoppy, and ends pretty sweet with a hint of honey, which is also advertised on the label. The 10% alcohol is covered very well in this beer.

My mouth wants more... it feels very clean after the drink. Just the right amount of carbonation for the hoppy/sweet taste.

Very drinkable. i could drink this until i couldn't stand anymore. If i wasn't a broke college kid, i might drink this, and only this from January-February.

4.45/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Off-white two-finger head that stuck around for a decent amount of time...ends up hazy gold...lacing started strong, but really wasn't there by the end of the beer

S- Insane amounts of grapefruit...some tropical fruits as well...picked up on some earthy aromas when agitated

T- Bitter white grapefruit juice...sweetness as the beer warms...a little bit of honey

M- Smooth and creamy...medium body and carbonation...alcohol comes through but is expected...great hop bite at the back of my mouth

D- Probably as drinkable as you can get in a 10% DIPA...balance is outstanding, but can be dangerous in this beer

4.83/5  rDev +7.6%

Well here I go with my very first review, & this is my last Hopslam other than what I have cellared away for a while.

Poured from 12oz bottle into my Duvel glass. I get a fine 1 finger head that dissipates rather quickly, within one minute. Smell is of a citrus/pine, strong hops with a slight hint of alcohol in the background, very pleasant.
Taste is a bitter sweet, a nice sweet flavor at first for me followed by a grapefruit bite in the end.
Mouth feel is somewhat creamy, just the right amount of carbonation, and a lingering but pleasant oily feel. May be due to the very fine carbonation caused from swirling & the glass itself.
Overall a very drinkable beer. I could drink this brew all night if it wasn't for the high ABV. Just A shame it's only a seasonal offering.

Ashleys in Ann Arbor, on tap. Great beer, taste smell and eveything else. On thing is for sure if that it's got a very green flavor, all those good hops. Currently I'm sitting in the bar typing this review and let me tell you" this is a serious brew"(Bigal723).

4.28/5  rDev -4.7%

Thanks to Yetiman420 for trading me this one.

12oz bottle poured in a big wine glass at 50 F/ 10 C.

Bright hazy orange. Small cream colored head. Pretty, delicate lace.

Smells nice and hoppy - fresh pine, mixed citrus and tropical fruits, plenty of pineapple, and grassy green tea - along with honey and sweet grain. Straightforward and good.

Tastes like sugar cookies dipped in hop oil. Plenty of sweetness and plenty of bitterness. Full juicy hop flavor, mainly pineapple, fruit salad, pine, and grass. The hop flavor and bitterness gradually intensify. Some warming alcohol comes in. Long bittersweet fruity hop finish.

Bottle conditioning comes through nicely in the texture; these bubbles are tiny and smooth. Highly drinkable, despite the explicit alcohol.

Very tasty, I enjoyed this.

4.25/5  rDev -5.3%

Notes from Super Beer Sunday '09. Bottle from a recent trade poured into a Lagunitas pint glass.

A - Pours a familiar golden yellow with an off-white head. Head dissipates to a white film that leaves a good amount of lacing. Agitation causes a full return of head.

S - Tons of pine and citrus, with a slight 'off' smell that I cannot place. Smells like it will be crisp and clean.

T - Remniscient of three-month old Elder, so maybe it's even better fresh? It's citrusy, piney, slightly smoky, and sweet. The citrus is grapefruit and ripe orange rind.

M - Medium carbonation, full-bodied, with a clean finish. The alcohol burn is apparent, but forgiveable as this brew is at 10% abv.

D - Way, way too high. This beer is dangerous.

What's stopping Bell's from making its way West? Too much competition for Stone and RR? ;)

4.1/5  rDev -8.7%

Trade bottle received from crazynelson. Really nice beer, has a nicely floral and piney mix in the nose that brings with it a sweet kick. Shows the hops off in a lovely platform. Glad I got to try this highly sought after beer.

From what I understand Hopslam is a pretty expensive beer. I wouldn't drop $18 on a 6 pack...but then again there are a lot of AMAZING IIPA's out in the Pacific NW.

4.22/5  rDev -6%

Had a couple of these from so recent trades,

A- Wonderful glowing amber in color, a little syrupy looking with a frothy white head that goes away rather quick.

S- Interesting, very sweet smelling with some sticky hop aromas as well, the label says it best "Ale brewed with honey" you can definently smell something different here.

T- Same as above, very sweet up front with a punch of hops to follow along and very little bitterness. i am not sure of the age of the bottles but i will assume they were fairly fresh as all 3 tasted the same.

M- little thickness here that was not expected, the taste however matches the mouthfeel perfectly.

D- Outstanding, the balance and smoothness that the honey provides is wonderful, you can session these if you can take it.

4.38/5  rDev -2.4%

A: Orange/gold color. Poured a 3 finger billowy white head with excellent retention. Laced in big sticky gops that slowy coated the inside of the glass.

S: Big citrus (lemon peel) and grapefruit. Sweet caramel malt. Pine fouindation.

T: Big citrus again along with assorted fruits. More distinct caramel note then powerful bittering hops in the finish.

M: Medium to full body. Well-balanced carbonation. Alcohol is extremely well hidden. Good balance overall.

D: ABV alone may limit drinkability, but can't go wrong with flavor and balance.

4.8/5  rDev +6.9%

My my what have we here. I have been seeking this out as I am an extreme hophead, and this met every expectation and more. In fact, the only two IPAs to date that I enjoyed better by memory were Hop Stoopid at the EBF last year, and Shorts anniversary ale grapefruit version.

Enjoyed with tacos. Poured with an enormous head that disappated to minimal lacing. Insanely floral aromas of pine, citrus, bicsuit, grapefruit and honey syrup. The tongue is assailed with bitter grapefruit and hop, hemp oil goodness with the touch of honey sugar kicking in. The mouthfeel is oily yet light at the same time. The 10% is hidden well here, extremely drinkable, extremely good, wowsa!! HopSlam is everything right with Humulus Lupulis. This is not a basher type DIPA, more finesse here which is exactly what I look for in this style.

Bell's HopSlam Ale
Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Style: American Double / Imperial IPA
ABV: 10.00 %

reviewed 1/21/09, bottle>imperial pint glass

my summary...
"a truly unique and intense but balanced citrus hoppy experience, one of a kind!"

A 5.0 - golden honey color, foamy 2 finger head, excellent head retention.
S 5.0 - 1. Hops, 2. Honey/Malt dance, very citrus grapefruit notes
T 5.0 - same as smell, sweet vs. hoppy-ness. I really dig the grapefruit hoppy-ness, very unique indeed - possibly the Simcoe? Perfect balance of a slam of hops w/ a fruity hoppy-ness.
MF 5.0 - Med++ on carbonation, semi slick mouthfeel.
D 5.0 - A very drink-able hop tongue splitter. I could drink these things all day, but you have to be very careful of the 10% ABV! I dig the grapefruit aromas and tastes.

4.43/5  rDev -1.3%

Got this in a trade with a buddy of mine. Poured into a pint glass, the appearance is a very tempting golden opaque color, exactly like that of expensive honey.

Smell is absolutely mouthwatering as well; notes of grapefruit, lemon, honey, and pine abound in this one. If I didn't know better, I'd think this was a piping hot cup of lemon tea with honey.

Taste was surprising; as this is a DIPA, I expected it to be an absolute hop-bomb, with an extreme hoppy aftertaste. However that's not the case, as this is one of the most balanced beers I've tasted. The sweet taste of honey and citrus plays off the hop aftertaste to create a beer that isn't overpowering in its hoppiness, yet isn't completely flavorless in that aspect. Honestly, it tastes more like a grapefruit spritzer or a soda rather than a beer. Amazing.

Mouthfeel is good as well, as there's a nice astringency that gives off a hint of grape skins at the end. Carbonation perfectly accentuates said astringency as well.

Drinkability is off the charts on this one; for a 10% ABV DIPA with supposed 130+ IBUs, I could see myself downing an entire sixer of these, easy.

Overall, very impressive beer. Most balanced, drinkable hop-head brew I've had the pleasure of tasting. Unlike Ruination (the hoppiest beer I've had so far), very sessionable and approachable, even for those new to micros.

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.