Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 1,996
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.

(Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
4.8/5  rDev +6.9%

Purchased at EV1 Liquors in Evanston. Poured from a 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass. The batch number 8913 tells me that this was packaged on Jan 12th - pretty fresh.

A: Nice soft and creamy, yellowy orange one finger head. Amber color liquid with haziness. Some random carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass. Good head retention and great lacing.

S: Big bold hop of course but it is really really strong. The grapefruit is there but there is a more crisp lemon along with a sweeter melon and apple. Really lovely.

T: Much like the smell to my delight. You get the nice grapefruit which has a more lemony citrus bite but rather than the caramel malt inserting itself to balance it, the sweetness is reflected in a more honey dew melon type taste. Really delicious. The alcohol is a no show excpet for the warmth on your cheeks. I can't understand how you can't taste 10% - really well masked. The danger with this brew is that it is so delicious that you want to session it but you can't unless you are a hardened drinker. It's strong.

M: The overt syrupy nature of the liquid makes it feel the full side of medium. Smooth but then there is a crisp bitterness at the finish.

D: I can't drink one of these slowly. I wish there was a little bit less alcohol because you pay the price if you don't respect he potency of this brew. If you are addicted to hops, this is a beer you have to try. I'm in love with this beer. Must... get... more...

sgoodship, Feb 01, 2009
4.2/5  rDev -6.5%

12 oz bottle. A bright barely cloudy dark gold pour. Smallish white head. Very floral aroma, fresh hops with just a hint of honey and malt. Pretty straight forward very hoppy, but there is some sweet malt with the honey, and some citrus and apple. Finishes real clean, for those that like a hop belch, this will do it for you. Tastes like a really really good pale ale. I was expecting this to be just a bite in the rear bitter beer, but it was quite well balanced and dangerously drinkable. The most drinkable double I've had. Was not an earth shattering experience, but I'm glad I tried it. Not sure it was worth the 15 for the sixer, but hopefully I can trade some of this.

Bung, Feb 01, 2009

Serving type- 12 ounce bottled poured into a Pisgah pint glass.

A- Pours a straw yellow with hints of an orange tint. Small white lace that stays present througout the beer. No activity present on beer after the pour.

S- Strong flavors of hops, also a pungent smell of citrus mainly grapefruit. These smells are very prevalent as you bring the beer up to your nose.

T- Beautiful combination of hops and citrus. The grapefruit comes back again as you begin your taste. This blends well with the hops and strong alcohol flavor. It finishes smooth and strong, you can taste the high ABV as the beer runs down your throat.

After reading everythiny about this beer, both positive and negative, I finally decided to break down and buy a six pack. This is a very good Imperial IPA and even though I am not sure it totally lived up to the hype this is still a very good beer. To me the price is not a huge factor, I have had other Imperial IPA's with a similar price tag and found them to be just as good, if not better. It was a pleasure to drink this beer and if the price was a little better I would certainly get this again, but I think I can get similar or better stuff for a little less price. Definatley a great beer but just a hair out of my price range, especially for a sixer. Added to the fact that this is a seasonal offering it makes it less tempting to send that money.

cbros, Feb 01, 2009
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Sam Adams sensory glass

A: Pours a very hazy golden-orange with a finger and a half of fluffy white foam. Medium to heavy lacing on the glass.

S: Muted hop aromas with some honey-sweetness. Smells like candy made of hops.

T: The sweetness is rather pronounced here. The hop flavors are present in abundance, but with none of the bitterness I would expect from a DIPA. Tastes of honey and juniper.

M: Somewhat syrupy, with the right amount of carbonation. Could use some more in the way of bittering hops to enhance the crispness.

D: Hides the alcohol very well, and goes down very smoothly. Not as crisp as I normally like from a DIPA, but oddly enough, it works in this case. Probably the most easy drinking DIPA I have ever had. I feel like I could drink several of these before realizing the potentially ruinous effect of all the alcohol.

SerieDNo3, Jan 31, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

12oz bottle into nonic.

Clear honey amber hue with just a bit of haze. The head is light tan and slowly settles to a thin cap with bubbly islands. The head leaves behind a wall of webby lacing.

Very sweet aromas, including honey (probably from the honey). The hops give off an herbal aroma, along with some sharp spiciness.

Slightly toasty malts with plenty of citrusy and spicy hops. The honey is detectable and adds a bit of sweetness. The alcohol is very well hidden. The overall tone of the beer is very sweet. Full bodied.

It doesn't get more drinkable than this DIPA. The alcohol isn't even noticeable and the hops add some great flavor. This gets a great score because of its drinkability. It's a DIPA but it drinks like a regular Pale Ale. The mix of hop varieties along with the honey seem to match well. Recommended.

BeerSox, Jan 31, 2009
4.44/5  rDev -1.1%

Well, this is my first beer review here, and an excellent one to start with. After reading everyone elses reviews I half expected to see God with my first drink...my first drink was lacking, but after I let it settle a bit it was, well, exceptional. I'm a big Bell's fan anyways, heavy hops usually don't do alot for me, but I did really love this beer...and for over $17 for the 6 pack I should...think the review taped to the door added a few dollars to the price.
Loved it? Yes
Best beer ever? No....but pretty damn good.
I'd suggest trying to find it somewhere and give it a try, I'm more of a stout person myself, but you can never go wrong with any of the Bell's selection.

Azumel, Jan 31, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +2%

First one of the year as I snagged almost the last case the store had. Upon poping the bottle wow I mean holy hops. Citrusy delicious hops. On the poor nice head good lacing and a beautiful slightly hazy amber gold. Taste fully of hops what did one expect good malt presence can taste the honey in the middle. Great easy drinking beer somewhat different from what I remember last years as but stellar none the less.

icefisherman, Jan 31, 2009
4.45/5  rDev -0.9%

I can smell 'em from across the table, those lovely hops. The aroma is rich, almost sexual, grapefruit and musk, honey sweetness. The taste is more of the same, but with the citrus bite really coming through on the front of the palate, and the honey notes lingering on. Lick your lips a couple of seconds after a sip, and I swear it's just like like you've been in the honey jar.

Good lord. I can't think of a more exceptional display of hops as the centerpiece of American craft brewing.

cedricwarner, Jan 31, 2009
4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

A - Pours a nice golden hue with an offwhite/light yellow head. If you look closely you can see traces of suspended yeast from being slightly unfiltered.

S - You couldn't get closer to a fresh hop smell if you were walking through a hop farm in Yakima, Washington at harvest time.

T- Now I fancy myself a Hop Head and wow does this satisfy my idea of a hoppy beer. It's almost as if you were biting into a fresh hop flower right off the plant and sucking out all the alpha acids. Surprisingly not as bitter as I thought though which just adds to the mind boggling concoction of this brew.

M/D - If it wasn't so expensive I would trade in my water filtration system and run this through every tap in my house. It's that easy to drink and addicting.

This was my first experience with Hopslam and I now understand the hype behind it....wow

VaTechHopHead, Jan 31, 2009
4.78/5  rDev +6.5%

This is my fifth go at this beer. Not in a row. But now I feel like I can review it.

Pours a brilliant orange with a big, healthy bone white head. Very pretty.

Aroma is a knockout. Grapefruit dominates, alcohol, raisin, pine resin and a warm, floral scent that I can't quite put my finger on. Like a wafting perfume from a passing woman.

Taste is a juicy, puckering alcoholic grapefruit. Juicy, juicy and juicy. Almost all hop flavors. Slam, indeed. A little sweet malt is in there, but it's hard to tell where the hop juice ends and the sweet malt begins. What a marvel.

Oily smooth mouthfeel, leaning toward full-bodied.

For me, it's too drinkable. One that can get me in trouble in a hurry. I tend to gulp this beer, despite my best efforts to relax. I've taken to following this one with several glasses of water.

Now, one other thing. The price. It is expensive, yes. It is good, yes. But, I have never tasted anythiing quite like it. So, if you want the experience, fork over the money.

budsboy, Jan 30, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -8%

Nice head, very clear yellow, head leaves some lace but nothing special.

Wow, a grapefruit bomb! Nice hop nose, no sent of malt, but it must be there.

It tastes like a hop bomb, but the backbone malt holds it up. I still like the taste of Two Hearted better, but this is pretty well balanced.

Nice heaviness, good bitterness, and it's got nice carbonation.

Easy to drink despite the big hops, no real sign of the 10% abv, too easy to have.

robbyc1, Jan 30, 2009
4.9/5  rDev +9.1%

Had this on tap at Poor Phil's in Oak Park. They served it in a Bell's-branded tulip glass.

Appearance - golden hue with not much of a head. great lacing.

Smell - floral, vanilla, citrus. it smelled exceptionally fresh.

Taste - Amazingly balanced. the 10% is very well hidden. Wonderful citrus hoppy character balanced out by the honey (I assume). Really complex.

Mouthfeel - medium body. just the right amount of carbonation.

Drinkability - incredibly smooth. Just a brilliant beer. I am so glad I got to get some on tap. I actually had some Dreadnaught along side the HopSlam, and the HopSlam blew it away (not that the Dreadnaught was not not excellent).

schenked, Jan 30, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +3.6%

HopSlam lives up to it's hype. I picked up a 12-pack from Chicago's south-loop Binny's. The bottle says "brewed with honey" and the influence is noticeable....in a very good and balancing way...more on that below.

Appearance -
Medium head, dissipates to nothing, no lacing (kinda a bummer on the head/lacing). The color is a beautiful rich gold - almost brassy. Clear as a Bell.

Smell -
Immediate aroma of sweet malt and honey, followed by an onslaught of rich piney, resinous, hop smells. When I popped the bottle open, I paused briefly (since I was in mid conversation with someone about who knows what), and the aroma engulfed my head. Yum.

Taste -
So the taste was interesting, it wasn't a taste-bud-violating-hop-explosion, but more like a heavy weight of hops was dumped into my mouth. Lots of hop citrus and pine and resin. But also nicely balanced with sweet malt and honey.

Mouthfeel -
Very full and round mouthfeel, alcohol on the finish.

Drinkability -
Huge drinkability considering it's 10% and a hop-party.

Over all, this is some great stuff. Don't cellar this, be sure to drink it fresh. I'm not even through 1 of the 4 six-packs and I'm going to see if I can find some more before it sells out for another HopSlam season.

davedahl, Jan 30, 2009
4.45/5  rDev -0.9%

A- classic burnt orange IPA color with a solid finger of off white head. Very nice lacing left on the sides of the glass. Small bubbles of carbonation can be seen rushing to the top of the glass.

S- caramel malts with lots and lots of piny and citrusy hops.

T- very sweet upfront with a wonderfully bitter hop finish.

M- remarkably smooth. Light to medium mouthfeel with sufficient carbonation.

D- too bad this beer is 10%, because it's taste and smoothness makes this one id love to be able to drink all night. That's really the only thing bad I have to say about this. It's a wonderful DIPA that ill be sad to see go. Make this a year round beer please bells!

jwinship83, Jan 30, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is an amazing beer. A truly distinctive and memorable beer. My first sniff of this one will be forever etched in my mind. I don't think I have ever smelled such a wonderfully fruity, floral, tropical nose in a beer before. The character of the hop aroma in this is simply amazing. This beer truly has a "bouquet." The mouthfeel is big, full, and totally satiating. The expressions of the hops are just fascinating. So complex, so intriguing. If you are a hop head, you need to try this beer. One of the finest DIPAs you will find anywhere.

sudsface69, Jan 30, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +7.6%

Wow. I expected a big, in your face, strong IPA when I purchased this beer...which I would have enjoyed thoroughly. This was something altogether different and amazing. I have been a huge DFH 90 minute fan for a long time, and it has been my IPA go to. This has just beat the 90 unmercifully out of first position.

A - Nice frothy, yet quickly dissipating head. Deep golden, and nicely cloudy (unfiltered) color and consistency.

S - Holy nose full of flowers! This brew smells so lovely, and sweet. The full hops smell, matched with the honey is quite a unique aromatic experience.

T - Amazing flavors abound in this brew. I have not the vocabulary nor the palate to describe everything I am tasting, but I can assure you that all of them are delicious. Hoppiness that could so easily be bitter, but that trails off into subtle sweetness of the honey. This beer is perfectly balanced.

M - There is certainly some texture to this brew. I can't imagine what the IBU count is, but you can feel it. But still so enjoyable.

D - Not for the newbie, but so enjoyable...I think I'll have another right now. That makes it pretty drinkable...no?

guild337, Jan 30, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +3.6%

I love good, strong IPAs. When it comes to a good imperial IPA and a good imperial stout, I'm torn. This beer makes a darn good tug in the direction of the IPAs, that's for sure.
Looks great, pouring a light, clear orange with a fizzy head that diminished within one minute. Little bubbles continually cascade upwards. My BB is moving upwards as well.
Smells wonderful, like pineapple and pine trees, and at this point I truly begin to pine for this revered IPA.
Taste is delicious- you know you're drinking a real IPA, trust me. Nice pine flavor, right shade of bitterness, and that good old complex flavor that's great to note when you're tasting something great but you can't explain exactly why. This is a GD stellar beer, GD it.
What a good mouthfeel, whatever that is.
Like many before me have noted, what a drinkable beer for a 10% ABV. Again, I'm torn because I want to drink alot of it because it tastes so good but I dodn't want to have a raging headache at work tomorrow.

WilliamD, Jan 30, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +6.9%

Batch 8908. Poured a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a golden copper with medium/heavy carbonation and an off white fluffy head. Smells of citrusy goodness. Lots of fruity hops. It also has a very unique nose-stinging chemical like hop aroma that hits me as pull the beer away from my nose. Maybe it's the dankness of the hops coming through. Whatever this smell is, the other DIPAs I've tried don't have it. The taste is like putting marijuana and citrus fruits together in a blender and serving it as a drink. The dankness of the beer is very pronounced. It definitely has a good deal of malts too and balances well. After my first sip my saliva became much more viscous due to the balancing malts. Mild/medium bittering aftertaste. Mouth feel is medium light with just the right amount of carbonation. Drinkablity is remarkable for a 10% ABV beer. This would absolutely be in my IPA rotation if I could get this year-round.

BeerStine, Jan 30, 2009
4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

Super whipped-up, agitated head of white froth, very sticky lacing. Brightly hued orange to yellow throughout, not fully transparent but clean and quite pretty. The nose is a citrus fest of pink grapefruit, tangerine, lime, if you can adjust to this you might be able to tease out pine resin, rose hips, nectarine, papaya and pineapple fruit scents, not much discernible malt-wise but doesn't feel out of balance, very credible lift in the nostrils. Medium-bodied, isn't bitter at all, more stings or pinches the palate than bites it. Same gargantuan element of pink grapefruit, tangelo, lime citrus, equally sweet and sour. The floral dimension a touch stronger, aided by the honey accents. On the other hand, any pine or charcoal flavors step back. Texturally, it's crisp and lively and built for speed, glides down the chute. No grassy nor herbaceous pucker, the hops taste fresh like you could wring them out with your hands. Carbonation shows a gentle but persistent hand. Real fun to throw back.

farrago, Jan 29, 2009
4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

I love the hops and when I tied this beer my taste buds said HOLY CRAP!! The aroma when I opened it was a lot like grapefruit and hops. Then I poured it to see an orange haze which I expected more golden. I also expected to see the nice head but it teneded to recede quicker then expected. A nice semi-crisp medium bodied with a bit of oiliness resin. I expected a major bitterness but was surprised on how smooth it was for having so much hops. Don't get me wrong this is a very hoppy beer that made me pucker up like most IPAs and DIPAs. However it is still pretty smooth especially for having a 10% abv. Very well balanced and surprising smoother then expected. This is definitely one hellava great IPA. Thank you Bells!!

TonyBrew, Jan 29, 2009
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

A: pours a clear appetizing orange with avery small white head

S: the nose is lots of sweet and citrus hop aroma, almost bubblegum like. also a hint of biscuty malt in the background

T: lots of bitterness with firm carmely malt backbone, very well balanced. it's interested to note, with a beer like this that has such an overwhelming nose its hard to distinguish what I am tasting and what I am smelling, but the smell definitely comes across in the taste with the sweet citrus hop flavor almost tangible to the pallet.

M: medium body with crisp carbonation. does not have the syrupy mouthfeel that one tends to associate with the DIPA style. the beer stays on your tongue for a while.

D: I had three and thus I am writing the review the day after (I took notes). I think the drinkability, balance, and ease of this beer is what makes it an exceptional example of the style.

lamarr04, Jan 29, 2009
4.22/5  rDev -6%

Hopslam 2010--1/10/10

A: The overpowering tropical fruit character (Pineapple, mango) attacks my nostrils as it is poured into a DFH snifter. Beautiful bright golden-copper colour with 1/2" head that recedes after a few minutes (this snifter is something of a head-killer I have realized though). Thin oily coating.
4.5
S: Fantastic--Like a whole bunch of Cascade hops mixed into a pineapple fruit cup. Pineapple, grapefruit, mango, a bit of hop skunkiness that I do not recall from last year. Base malt and caramel malt (honey malt) if you really dig, I guess--but their role is strictly in supporting the plethora of hops and blends with them so well that they are difficult to distinguish. Not too much from the honey addition, perhaps a light floral scent. Juicy.
T: Sweet, sweet citrus up front (pineapple primarily, with some grapefruit), a bit of alcohol character. Sweet honey, light caramel. Moves in stages from being sweet citrus up front, malty sweet in the middle, then fading into a piney bittersweet finish--not extremely mouth puckeringly bitter on the finish as some DIPA's can be (but I tend to like that character). Aside from the bitterness, the aftertaste comes across very much like unfermented honey. Alcohol is a little more noticeable than I would like, but I suppose is to be expected to a degree. As it warms it becomes sweeter and hides the alcohol a little better (a trade-off I suppose, as it ends up being a little too sweet).
M: First thing noticed as I took the first taste. Well carbonated, with a slightly syrupy body that comes across as "resiny" (a good thing for hopheads).
D: A bit more alcohol bite than I prefer. While the smell was off the charts, the taste didn't quite deliver, and was less complex. Aside from the skunkiness of the hops, I would say that this year's is very similar to the last. A great beer from Bells, although not my favourite double IPA.

2009--1/29/09
6 pack acquired at Coffee Grounds in Eau Claire for $15.99
A: Pours into a Chimay chalice (DFH Snifters are on the way!). Great light orange colour, with a 1" bright white head with tiny bubbles. Sticks to the sides of the glass magnificently...Looks great!
S: Smell is HUGE pineapple up front! Almost overpowering, but when you dig a bit deeper you can get some other citrus scents-some grapefruit. Smells crisp and fresh.
M: I notice the mouthfeel before the taste even! Very creamy and extra smooth. Slips right down with a bit of warming afterwards...great!
T:Taste is of pineapple (more subdued than the smell though), very herbal, with an intense bitterness that kicks in at the end to disguise this enormous abv. Pineapple, grapefruit, citric orange. A hint of alcohol. Fresh hops, with a bitter but pleasant aftertaste. As it warms, the alcohol becomes much more evident, but pairs great with the hops. The pineapple dissapears quite a bit with the temperature increase, and the bitterness really comes out from the dark.
D:Drinkability- Disguises the alcohol content masterfully, with a very smooth mouthfeel.

darklordlager, Jan 29, 2009
4.22/5  rDev -6%

The first time a had a bottle of this, it must have been 2 years old... needless to say there was no hop aroma or flavor, I thought i may had gotten a bad bottle.... With all the fuss about hopslam this year i thought id give it another go. Damn, Im glad i did.

A - Golden, honey color, slightly hazy from the bad pour that didnt decant off of the bottle conditioned yeast, light fluffy head.

S - it seems ass backwards, but i pick up on wort like aromas backed by some bicuity toastiness. This all pairs alongside sweet grapefruit, pineapple, some pine and a vague aroma of tulips. Good aroma that is well balanced inbetween the malt, though an 'MO' of the style, It's nice to have some malt character pair along side a healthy dose of hops.

T - A balanced bitterness that barely makes me pucker, sweet wort like flavors (honey malt?) and toasted bread mix in between a floral hoppiness, grapefruit and pine. The alcohol is barely noticeable until you get that warming sensation as you breath out. At 10%, this beer is very well crafted in balance.

M - medium bodied, low carbonation, sweetness is almost cloying, but brought back to balance by the abundance of hops. In one word, balanced.

D - Extremely... even as i try to pace myself, im starting to see the bottom of the glass in less than a half hour. 10% would dictate, to me, a sipper, however, this beer keeps telling me, 'go on, have another.' Great brew, well worth the hype, If I saw this on tap I would definitely order a few pints.

Jettanbass9, Jan 29, 2009
4.25/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Light and beautiful
Pineapple, hops and citrus
End review haiku

Okay. This beer inspired me to write poetry. That's right, a beer haiku. It's wonderful. Slightly boozy, perfect amounts of carbonation, and perhaps the best blend of hops I've had in a long while. I don't know if it quite lives up to the hype, but I for one think it's a fantastic brew that actually deserves some hype. A real winner for sure

thanks to biniek 13 for including this as an extra. I recieved it today, and then checked the batch number to discover it's less than two weeks old. Insane. We don't get beers distributed here that quickly.

SuperWhite92, Jan 29, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -8.7%

This beer is kind of like The Matrix: I had heard so much about it's awesomeness before I acctaully experienced it, that my expectations were really high, and when I finally saw the movie/drank the brew, I was like hell yes...but not blown away as I thought I would be.

I only wish I had stumlbed over it randomly and tried it, then my pants would be filled with happiness and joy. I should note that this review is written during my third bottle of this 10 % brew.

Very citrusy and boozy, not tatsing the honey. High abv, very tasty. I recommend that you spring this on your craft swillin' friends who have not heard of it. And watch the joy in thier eyes. If they don't dig it. Bitch slap thier ass!

Makes my tummy warm.

kickapoodude, Jan 29, 2009
Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.