Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 1,907
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.

(Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

It looks like a thick copper, just like most doube IPA's, with a nice off-white head. The head is solid at first but dissipates relatively quick with minimal lacing.

The smell is very reminiscent of Two Hearted Ale, only there are added pine notes to go with the floral style. Centennial hops still appear to to be the dry-hop of choice here, according to the smell alone.

Hops are everywhere in the taste. Flowers are in the opening, and also rise in the closing, with some pine and a dash of citrus in the middle. Very nice, the malt definitely takes a back seat as expected.

It is medium to full bodied, and due to the strength of it, it is not the most drinkable, but that is expected with the style. The carbonation is low, probably due to the strength of it.
Overall, it is an awesome DIPA. It lives up to the style beautifully, and will always give me the blast of hops I often crave. Too bad it is only brewed once a year.

ASymon13, Mar 19, 2008
4.68/5  rDev +4.2%

Nice amber color with a light pink tint. Solid head drops to a thin covering and leaves solid lacing. I couldn't even see through the lacing at one point, it was like a sheet.

Sweet smell with floral hops and a full citrus smell.

Uniquely sweet taste. First IPA I've had with honey in it, I didn't know what that sweetness until half way through. Hops are awesome - tons of citrus and some exotic fruit. I think it's mango. Alcohol is well hidden - no taste of the 10% ABV at all.

Medium to full body - solid. Body is full like the flavor.

This is a strong, well-balanced beer. Awesome. It fully deserves any and all hype that it gets.

Tasted 3/18/08.

tmitch75, Mar 19, 2008
4.72/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have had this one in the bottle several times. Today was my first time on draft.

A: A cloudy orange brillant orange color with an ample head. The head dies down but sheet after sheet of lacing is left behind. Beautiful.

S: There is alot of citrus hops and a sweetness coming from the glass. Tons of fresh squeezed FLORIDA orange juice, along with a bit of ruby red grapefruit and a touch of pine. Wow, I can't wait to taste this one on draft.

T: Absoultely Wonderful! I have been pounding bottles of this on since its release, but HOLY SHIT, this is even better on draft. Tons of big bold sweet flavors come bursting at you. If you want juicy this is it. There are so many different citrus flavors your body goes into sensory overload. The hops rush in somewhere in the middle and just sit and mingle with the sweetness. I absoluetly love this beer. There is no hint of the ABV that is one packs.

M: A perfect match of medium body with full carbonation. The hops sting my tounge with each drink only to be mellowed out by a wonderful citrus sweetness.

D: I will once again proclaim this the most drinkable DIPA on the market. I realize it is only a 12 oz when many of the other greats come in bombers, but I could drink these until I pass out. (which would not be long by the way).

Overall: Are you suprised Bell's has made another great beer, I'm not. It's a true DIPA that drinks like an IPA. It is sooo smooth it goes down like water, eh, more like nectar. It is a wonderful brew that should be sought out. It truly is in a class of its own.

tpd975, Mar 17, 2008
4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

Stopped into a local bar after work that had this on tap. On top of that the rep from Bells was on site who was wonderful to talk to.

This is unlike other big hopped beers. It has more floral overtones and citrus flavors than other hopped up beers. The smell is wonderful, it's as if I died and went to hop heaven. After trying this I called the distributors in the area to see who had a case (got to love Pennsylvaia where you have to buy a case). While the bottles are very good, they pale (no pun intended) in comparison to the draft.

I fear that I may miss this beer as the hop shortage continues.

jsgpu90, Mar 17, 2008
4.1/5  rDev -8.7%

Got a recommendation of this brew from another member

Pours a good color, but for most "big beer" IPA's not as nice as I expected, had a mediocre head regardless of a vigorous pour and dissapeared rather quickly

Smell was amazing. Amazing aroma of citrus fruits, lemon, a hint of orange peels, and a rush of hops to finish it off.

Taste was great as well. Definitely a great IPA, but from what I was expecting was not as I imagined

I was comparing this beer to Troegs Nugget Nectar, as that was what I was told this tasted closest to, but in all honesty it wasnt.

I could definitely drink this brew year round, but I would place 90 Minute IPA as well as Nugget Nectar above this beer.

Wheeble, Mar 17, 2008
4.1/5  rDev -8.7%

Orange amber with a sticky ipa-style head.

Passion/tropical hops, bright citrus and weak pine in the nose.

Fresh flavor with the sweetest hop profile i've tasted in an IPA. Sticky resiny pineapple and papaya. Sugary grapefruit in there too.

Mouthfeel is medium to full, with a great balance from begining to finish. There is a sweetness that makes the drinkability pretty high, which balances the bitterness of the hops. An attempt to control the bitterness with the sweetness doesn't really rub me the right way.

Good beer. A fine IPA, and original/unique flavors. It was just a bit sweet and tropical for my ipa tastes.

SurlyDuff, Mar 17, 2008
4.6/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours a fairly transparent orange/red with a nice thick fine white head.

Smell is very floral and hoppy and sweet. Taste is extremely hoppy, with a nice bitter finish and a decent alcohol burn. This is the essence of hops, highly concentrated yet very tasty. There's a bit of sweetness, too, that balances the hoppiness well.

This is a great beer. What a joy for hop heads. Bell's has managed to bottle pure hop extract.

bassmantin, Mar 17, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +1.3%

Appearance- Poured into a pint glass, I got a great two finger head. Thick, creamy foam that looked just heavenly. Huge bubble lacing that sticks to the glass in great rings. I love it.

Smell- This beer smells incredible. I can smell the sweetness of the honey and pineapple along with the hops.

Taste- Whew. I love it. The pineapple that I smelled is still there, but there is such a complexity of flavors here. The hops are the body of this beer, but there is an outstanding moment in every sip where there's this great transition from bitterness to sweetness to the finish. And the finish is a memorable one. I can taste that slow burn of alcohol, but it's not such a bad thing.

Mouthfeel- Very carbonated, but that's to be expected. Not watery and not too thick. Goes down smooth.

Drinkability- This is a very noteworthy beer. It's something to be appreciated and treated right. It's great to slow down and enjoy a beer that is a work of art. That being said, I couldn't have more than one or two in a night. It's 10% ABV is not lost on me.

Andrewtherooster, Mar 16, 2008
4.7/5  rDev +4.7%

12 oz. bottle from Greenwood Spirits (Bowling Green), poured into a Unibroue "tulip."

Pours a slightly hazy, tangerine-tinged honey gold, with a finger-and-a-half of pillowy head. that dissipates slowly to a persistent quarter-inch, leaving stubborn lacing as the beer is consumed.

A blast of citrus greets my first sniff, smelling of grapefruit rind without any pithy funkiness. The citrus is quickly cut by floral esters, which in turn lead to a smell I can only describe as "green" or "spring-ish" (gotta love highly specific technical terms). Surprisingly, there is a slight yeasty malt aroma underneath the whirlwind of hops. The smell is so complex that I wish I was reviewing this on a clearer palate (this is my "nightcap" beer for today).

My first sip is rewarded with an instant blast of hops to follow the aroma: wonderful fresh grapefruit oil, kumquats, fresh apricot, a hint of white pepper and other spices (nutmeg, mace, perhaps a touch of allspice). The honey mentioned on the label appears in the surprising malt sweetness that enters on the tail of the other flavors; nothing unpleasant, just enough for a delicious, winey balance. The 9.3% alcohol is almost undetectable until the beer nears room temperature, and even then it is barely detectable against the other flavors.

Mouthfeel is just about dead on: medium-full, slightly oily body that leaves a surprisingly pleasant slickness that begs for another sip. Carbonation is just sufficient to keep things a bit lively without turning too frothy in the mouth.

DANGEROUSLY DRINKABLE. This beer is more complex than merely huge. Aroma and taste are like a palette of hop flavors, making me wonder what varieties were used. The best characteristic of this beer is that I taste the best aspects of hops without the drawbacks (extreme bitterness, pith flavor, etc.), and that the subtle sweetness perfectly tempers the rawness of the hops. I only have this bottle at the moment, or I would be sorely tempted to crack another. I only dock half a point from the drinkability because more than a couple might knock one off one's barstool. Highly recommended.

VikingBeer, Mar 16, 2008
4.93/5  rDev +9.8%

Wow what a great beer here. One of the characteristics of an IPA is the strong presence of hops. This beer has them in there. It pours an amber color and has very little head. The first thing you will notice with this beer is aroma. My god it is a heavenly smell. It is very much a flowery bouquet in there. Now I have not yet learned my hops by smell but I am sure more experienced beer lovers could pick out the hops used in this brew just based on the smell. It has a smooth and sweet taste. One that makes drinking more than one very easy to take down. However, that is not good as it 10% ABV. So it's pretty easy to get drunk off this beer, which is a shame. This is a beer that should be enjoyed slowly to savor all that is have to offer.

edmedina, Mar 16, 2008
4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

Holy crap! ncvbc sent me this on a recent trade! Thank you thank you thank you!

Served in a "trois pistoles" goblet at more or less 60 F.

Pours off yellowish bright orange, frothy white head and some cloudy yeast dust, laces nicely, exellent looker, just pour it out slower and colder if you prefer a clearer product.

Monstrous aroma of apple, pear, apricot grapefruit and juicy fruit. Intense! Flavor is a big bunch of those same perceived in aromas blended with a melanoidin rich tasting malt backbone. Medicinal, grepfuit-like bitteness in the finale and in the mouthfeel is not puckering like some hop-centered ales can become. Bravo!

At 10% ABV, even a lunatic would have a hard time downing a bunch of pints... then again if it where a all-afternooner, I'd try.

bloberglawp, Mar 16, 2008
4.35/5  rDev -3.1%

A: Pours a nice 1.5 finger head with nice retention with substantial lacing. The beer looks like some sort of golden honey.

S: Sweet citrus (grapefruit), very floral, honey, nicely hopped,

T: Nice and bitter up front with a small malt backbone. A citrus tang toward the back of the tongue and a slightly dry finish.

M: Carbonation is good and the mouthfeel is smooth and creamy.

D: 10% ? I never would have guessed it. I could drink this all night.

HopHead84, Mar 15, 2008
4.83/5  rDev +7.6%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass with about a half inch of head.

The appearance is of a golden-amber. Looks delicious.

The scent of the beer is amazing. Lots of citrus and even some floral hops. I also detect quite a bit of spice. My mouth is watering just smelling this! The taste is wonderful; the malts are more upfront than I remember, not that it's a bad thing, but I distinctly remember the hops being the focus on the last one I had. My palate could be messed up so who knows. Had it not have been for the 10% ABV I could drink this beer all night. Instead I suppose I'll just have to pace myself a little better!

DontCallMeSurly, Mar 13, 2008
4.03/5  rDev -10.2%

Poured golden amber into a Unibroue tulip. Looked delicious.
Smell - Hoppy with a sweet scent

Taste - Bitter hop flavor (obvious), with a some sweet accents. Honey is prevelant but does't overpower the beer. Nice balance.

Mouthfeel - Right amount of carbonation. Feel was crisp.

Drinkability - Overall good. IIPA not my favorite style, not use to the hoppy flavor, but this beer was tasty and makes me want to keep drink it to get use to the style.

ralflord, Mar 13, 2008
4.38/5  rDev -2.4%

Thanks to readicculus for the trade!

Poured into a Duvel oversized tulip glass. Wow - huge carbonation - powerful, three fingers thick, dissipates eventually revealing a great amber-like color.

Very aromatic! It's very citrus-like and i smell faint honey. It's hugely floral and hoppy - so sweet and the body has good balance - mouthfeel isn't overpowering yet full, and the finish is dry and bitter.

This is a VERY drinkable beer. If it wasn't for the high ABV, I'd dare say this should be a session beer. If you asked me to compare this to Dreadnaught, I'd say this one ekes it out by a nose because of it's finish and smaller bottle size.

bgramer, Mar 12, 2008
4.63/5  rDev +3.1%

From Notes:
on tap at Eulogy - "Leftover" from Sat. night w/ Larry Bell.
Poured into a 5lb chalice. Glad I made it in for a Monday tasting in this nutty place.

APPEARANCE>During pour this quickly achieved a 2 finger head, puffy soft and creamy white, slowly and steadily dissipated into a dense sliver of a cap on the beer below. Medium lacing that lasts only for seconds...The beer in the low light of the bar appeared very cloudy, full of particulates, organic, golden and copper. Looks good.
SMELL> vanilla, milk, deep heavy floral notes, lightens a bit into melon> cantaloupe, keeps going into pine and cannabis as the hoppy undertone begins to shine with warmth...
TASTE> up front bananas and melon backed by the candy caramel malt. Very surprised at this. This is warm and 'easy' on the palette. More intense in the middle and back, sweet pine, fresh grass & greens, now its bitter pine, pockets of growing bittery intensity, resiney and becoming somewhat intense bitterness that hurts the throat and hangs in thick drips.
MOUTHFEEL> Just enough carbonation to lighten up the creamy and buttery MF. diacetyl qualities, gliding down the throat. Never do I pucker from this (good/bad?).
DRINKABILITY> Not an monstrous hop bomb, but one of the more extreme beers I've tasted nonetheless. warm and 'exotic'. This comes as close to a 'session' DIPA I've ever tasted, never a hint of alcohol comes through. Right up my alley, this is creme de la creme.

Philabeerphia, Mar 11, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

2008 version (10% ABV) Pours a golden bronze with a thick, creamy two and a half finger head. Dull clarity with excellent retention and spectacular spiderweb lacing. The nose is truly amazing- heavy pine needle scent with robust tangerine/mango tropical hop oil aroma, some orange and grapefruit rind in the background; and a soild caramel malt backing. There is another sweet aroma here I could not place, but when I noticed that the label says it is brewed with honey, I found that to be a likely culprit. The first sip reveals the honey further- like clover with a touch of orange blossom- the malt tastes like a medium roast crystal with some two-row thrown in for good measure. Thankfully, the sweetness carries over into the aftertaste and attempts some kind of balance. The first wave of hop flavor is a pungent mix of pine sap-tangy ripe fruit; followed by fresh cut grass and oranges, and finally grapefruit and resinous earthy hop oils and cling to the tounge but in a very soft- low cohumulone sort of way. This beer is bursting with both malt and hop flavor- especially american "C" varieties like Cascade, Chinook, Columbus and Centennial; yet is does not overwhelm the taste buds with boistrious alpha acids or astringent bitterness like some other hop bombs. This beer presents a unique and charismatic malt profile set against a showcase of west coast hop volatiles. The body is full and the carbonation light- just enough to prevent cloying and lift some of the more stubborn hop residues. It finishes flashy and saturated with the taste of fresh hop cones dipped in honey and copper-colored malt. The flavor is balanced enough to achive a good drinkability despite the heavy mouthfeel and lingering flavors. This limited availability seasonal is elite amongst it's D.I.P.A. bretheren, but still not worth the $16.00 a six pack price tag- hop crisis be damned.

PBRstreetgang, Mar 10, 2008
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

Thanks to EliteDigger for this tasty brew. This has been on my radar for a while. Poured from a 120z. bottle into a Dogfish Head snifter. Beer pours an orange, copper color with a small white, bubbly head. Very soft carbonation and moderate lacing around the glass.

Aroma is pretty sweet for a DIPA, but also immense floral and citrus hops. Traces of honey are hidden in the background.

Taste starts out with a big, bitter hop bite, moves to a sweet malt, lemon and honey flavor and finally leaves you with a long, bitter and citrus finish. Quite nice and complex.

Mouthfeel is thick and oily. This is probably an easy drinker for most hopheads. Maybe too easy, considering it weighs in at 10%. Check this one out. It's another winner from Bell's.

drumrboy22, Mar 09, 2008
4.1/5  rDev -8.7%

Just cracked open this bottle that has been sitting in the back of my fridge for the past week and a half. Pours a reddish-gold with a nice frothy head that dissolved and left a nice layer of bubbles on the top. I'm sitting about 2 feet away from the beer, looking at its color and I can already smell the pungent hops. Nice and floral in the nose with a grapefruity tint. Bring your nose closer to the beer and you can smell the bitterness.
The first sip starts out very sweet, but then your tounge gets attacked by the amazing hoppiness of the beer. The tounge is then cleansed and warmed with the 9.3% abv of the beer.
It is a bit heavier than I thought it would be, and I could have gone for some more carbination. Other than that, it was a very solid brew.

jeremy13586, Mar 09, 2008
4.28/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle.

A- Cloudy golden color with some sediment at the bottom of the bottle. Minimal lacing and head retention.

S- Hops smell with a predominant honey smell.

T,M- Sweet honey/hops flavor with a clean finish. Medium body and medium carbonation.

D- This beer definately has a "drink me" factor going on. Very enjoyable.

johnnyirishman, Mar 08, 2008
4.85/5  rDev +8%

can you say slow and reflective? say it s l o w and then s l o w it down some more... this is the equivilant of hopped wine. the hoppiet barley wine I have ever tasted. And the taste! and the smell! strong resins predominate, a lemony piney, citrusy balm that lingers in the nose and contributes to a most amazing taste. You are drinking a wonderfully balanced but strong, nuanced but powerful beer. One of the best beers that I have had so far in 2008. Wonderful. Don't drink it all night unless you can nurse a bottle for several hours. given the complexity of this beer, that is indeed possible. Savor a sublime, deep taste sensation.

sublimesipping, Mar 08, 2008
4.18/5  rDev -6.9%

A. Clear, still orange with a fat 3 finger head that fades over time. No lacing, decent retention.

S. Big grapefruit and piney hops, then sweet malt and the advertised honey, clean, some oranges and flowers. Mostly just hop juice. Citrus and pure. If you like hops, you'll love this.

T. A fine blend of citrusy hops and sweet lightly toasted grain, with an orangey, alcoholic dry finish and some sappy, sticky pine notes. Hopslam is quite basic, simply variations on hops and grain sugars, but is wonderfully balanced and tasty. Think a less aggressive Double Dog or a hoppier, less sweet 90 minute and you're getting there.

M. Decent carbonation, finish is bitter and hoppy with an eventual sweet note. Alcohol is warming and certainly seems like the proclaimed 10%.

Hopslam is good, and drinkable, but ultimately doesn't bring a lot new to the table. It's simply a good Double IPA; but there's nothing wrong with that, either. Recommended for those with a hop-tooth.

kkipple, Mar 08, 2008
4.68/5  rDev +4.2%

Had this beer in Ann Arbor last year, quite pricey buying a six pack but found it on tap in the U.P for two dollars a pint...rough night needless to say

Appearance: Nice deep copper, good amount of head that quickly went away

Smell: Well, hoppy, quite citrusy and strong. I was drinking with some friends and the lady next to me said thats a hopslam eh? Just by the smell, quite potent

Taste: The taste is really amazing, citrusy at first and surprisingly smooth. For the amount of hops not much of an after taste you would think that would come along with it.

Mouthfeel: Again suprisingly smooth, almost thick mouth feel, goes down great for a 10% abv...unfortunatly

Drinkability: Well, two or three pints of this will get you where you need to be really fast, I would start with one then move on to something a little less intense on the Abv...all around excellent beers. Without a doubt one of my favorites.

jpinkard, Mar 08, 2008
4.2/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Decided to try this beer while watching Big Brother 9. Wife is in bed - kids are asleep. my time now.

Bells, another favorite of mine. poured into a chalice glass - let it sit for 10 minutes or so to warm from fridge temperature.

appearance: nice hazy copper color. intial head was nice, but dissipated very quickly

smell: not at all what i expected. a very pleasant surprise. very strong honey and citrus smell - maybe even a little vanilla in there? a truly unique blend blend of flavors into a very appealing aroma and smell. one of the best smelling beers i have had in quite some time.

taste: great taste as well. the aroma and taste go hand in hand. what you smell is what you taste. soft on the pallate, strong on taste. flavor dissipates very quickly. a general wow, what a great beer.

mouthfeel: just a good overall beer. not too harsh or strong, massive flavor, but not a massive pallate drowner - they did a nice job with this one.

drinkability: not sure. the strong and unique flavoralmsot make it tough to drink a large or mulitple amount.

this is a fantastic beer. something i will go out and buy a case of. highly recommend.

Hophead101, Mar 06, 2008
4.43/5  rDev -1.3%

Thanks to Sephiroth for this gem! Pours a fairly clear orange color with a timy white head. It leaves slight lacing down the glass. This IMO (along with NN) has the best aroma of any beer I have ever tried. Huge amounts of floral and citrus hops invade upon my first and every sniff. Massive citrus hop flavor, but not a typical hop monster- this fades as it gets balanced with the honey flavor. Very drinkable medium bodied beer for 10%! Can't wait for more!!

DrDogbeer, Mar 04, 2008
Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.