Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 1,907
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.

(Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
3.93/5  rDev -12.5%

Appearance: This beer pours a very murky/ cloudy dull orange hue. The bright white head stood up to staggering heights but fell fairly quick leaving behind a nice web-like lace.

Smell: The aromas are like a bunch of sticky sweet pine saplings drizzled in malt syrup. Lots of floral and mild citrus notes as well. Minimal alcohol is noticed, but I can detect some mouthwatering fruits such as grapefruit and nectarines. Very inviting.

Taste: This beer has a good amount " hop slam " qualities thou I believe it may also have some dull qualities. I'm getting some mildly sweet fruits, mild citrus, almost seems like a small IPA with that big beer bang. Not bad by any means just not living up to its name in my opinion. This more " hop balanced " than a hop slam. :Referr : Lagunitas Maximus for " hop slam " aka 75ish ibus!!

Mouthfeel: This is medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Smooth, sticky, and has soft bubbly finish with a nice alcohol kick.

Drinkability: This is definitely a good drinking beer and I believe I could drink this on a regular basis. Only thing I guess im knocking is not commanding it's namesake.

Cheers2Beers

cheers2beers, Jun 22, 2007
4.72/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It's taken me a long time to get around to reviewing this one despite how many times I've had it, but that should tell you something :) This may just be my favorite American Double IPA.

Deep deep copper color, frothy one finger head that dissipates to a ring with a quiet lacing.

Smells of heavy hops and citrus up front...mostly grapefruit, lots of malt in the finish.

The heavens have truly graced my tastebuds. Such a perfect balance in this brew. The hops are huge but the citrus keeps them in check, as the strength of the hops almost rise and fall again throughout. The finish is smooth and malty.

Medium bodied in the mouth...it's smooth and creamy but is still able to finish dry, crisp, and clean. Soo good.

I love this beer. I'd drink lots if I could. Normally I would rate drinkability down a bit for higher alcohol percentage....but, personal opinion: I'd rather drink a few strong ones than a bunch of weak ones, so I'm gonna go with my gut and give it a good rating all around. Thank you Bell's.

greenbeaner, Jun 21, 2007
4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

From notes. Pours from the 12oz bottle a nice clear golden orange color with a half inch of bubbly white foam on top that leaves spots of lacing on the glass. Real nice clarity. Aromas are a blast of dense hops with an amalgamation of scents...floral, pine and big on the citric side as well with grapefruit standing out. Sorta sweet caramel in the background but the hop bouquet dominates here and really shines. One of the best aromas I've come across in awhile.

First sip brings a rush of dense hop oils swimming with big citrus, floral and pine resin flavors. Sweet caramel malts in the background that do their best to stand up to the onslaught of the bitter hops. The hop flavors and so vibrant and the profile is a nearly perfect mix. It flows down with a nice hit of bitterness and only a faint hint of alcohol. This is simply a damn fine brew and a standout for the style.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and on the heavier side. This makes itself known as you drink it for sure. Good carbonation. This is just a freakin awesome double IPA and I cannot wait until they release this again. I've had this on tap as well and it's been phenomenal. Another feather in the hat for Bell's...easily one of my favorite midwest brewers. I'm patiently awaiting the day they distribute in IL again!

orbitalr0x, Jun 15, 2007
4.43/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours a slightly hazy amber color with a full finger off white head that fades quickly. Spotty lacing observed.

Need to let it warm up quite a bit to enjoy the flat out grapefruit citrus aroma.

Medium bodied, the mouth feel is immediately bitter with a nicely balanced malt character.

The flavor is quite like the smell. A nice tart blast of grapefruit and it tends to linger in the finish.

Drinkability - Another great IIPA; this one being one of the hoppiest flavored. The 9.3% ABV provides a warmth to the mix. Recommended.

jjayjaye, Jun 14, 2007
4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

This was poured from the bottle into a pint glass. It has a hazy light copper color with a decent head that has good retention. The aroma is wonderfully hoppy and malty, blending to produce a pineapple like scent that is just fantastic. The flavor is strongly hoppy but balanced very well with the sweet malt so that the hop bitterness is noticed on the finish, but is not overwhelming. It has a medium body with moderate carbonation.

This is a wonderful beer. I'm not as familiar with the double IPA style as I would like to be as most of the double IPAs I've tried have really turned me off, either incredibly bitter or sweet and a balance between the two extremes just isn't there. This is definitely not the case with this example. It's very enjoyable. Of course, would I expect less from one of my favorite breweries?

scoobybrew, Jun 12, 2007
3.98/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a hazy golden color like most IPA's. There is not a huge amount of bubbles that come up, but a generous amount. The smell of this beer is really terrific, lots of floral hops and special arrangements that I have never smelt before. The taste has five or six distinct hop tastes to it, but unfortunately never really develops any of them. You can tell that great time and energy went into this beer, but it seems like less time went into studying how the hops would react to each other, and whether or not they would all form together. I would still say this beer kicks ass, but the taste gets knocked as they forget that more is not always better. I'll definitely enjoy this again though.

Toddv29424, Jun 10, 2007
4.22/5  rDev -6%

Poured a medium hazy copper hue with a one finger creamy white head. There was good retention and sticky lacing.

The smell featured an upfront sweet orange hop with accents of pine and pepper.

The taste consisted of an upfront spicy and resiny hop with a robust doughy malt. Some mild warming alcohol appeared at the finish.

The mouthfeel was full with a warm finish.

Overall a superior DIPA. Very drinkable considering the ABV. Thanks to czoch75.

plaid75, Jun 07, 2007
3.68/5  rDev -18%

I think I am at the rapidly declining end of a love-hate hop relationship. I used to love these hop bombs, and now I often find them one-dimensional and hard to drink. This one, regardless of its high rating and great aroma/flavour, didn't really do it for me. What can I say about it? Massive grapefruit and pine hops all over the place. Balance is OK, but it's still a bitter beast. No astringency or soapy flavours, which is good, but not a whole lot of depth. Alcohol is very well-hidden. Refreshing, definitely a palate killer, and hopheads will (and obviously do) love it.

That said, I'd love to try this on tap or cask and see how it compares.

crwills, Jun 06, 2007
3.1/5  rDev -31%

Twelve ounce brown bottle. Batch # on back label, which yields a bottling date when punched into Bell's online dB.

Pale amber, thin creamy white head.

Notes of lemon & grapefruit make up the nose.

Sweet with a touch of biscuit. Finishes with big bold grapefruit flavour.

Medium bodies, moderate carbonation.

No real depth of flavour. Unremarkable.

xgrigorix, May 26, 2007
4.8/5  rDev +6.9%

A: Two and a half fingers of billowing head that dissipated ever so slowly, leaving in its wake a foamy lace. The beer itself was a transparent deep amber and burnt-orange.

S: Could smell it as soon as I opened the bottle. There was a big floral bouquet that had a sweetness to it. Also in the mix were an array of citrus fruit smells; grapefruit, lemon, orange.

T: Lipsmacking good. Very smooth transition of flavor with a bit of a sweet introduction, immediately followed by a strong but pleasing hop presence. Honestly, although the hops are huge in this beer, I didn't find it as much of a "biting, bitter, tongue bruiser" as advertised on the label. And because of that, I think the beer's flavor is all the better for it. It doesn't go way over the top with hops, and fades nicely leaving that sweet, lingering, and somewhat bitter but refreshing aftertaste.

M: Well carbonated for a creamy and silky mouthfeel. A nice body to this that makes it enjoyably thick.

D: Due to the well-managed hop presence, this one can easily be enjoyed in succession, I think.. especially for any hop-heads out there. Also, the refreshing aspect keeps you wanting more, as it won't blow you out of the frame with bitterness, despite its 106 IBU rating.

CharlieMopps, May 23, 2007
4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

Pours a hazy tangerine color with a sticky but thin off-white head. Carbonation bubbles rise to the top.
Fresh hop cone aroma. Nothing more, nothing less.
The flavor really shines as the hops take the taste buds through the whole gamut of hop flavors. Citrus, piney prickles the mouth. Amazingly it's not over-bitter and is still very drinkable. The alcohol is completely covered by the oh so bold hop flavors.
Mouthfeel is sticky and tingly. The hops prickle the tongue.
I could session this. It's THAT good.
The best tasting big hop beer yet!!
I received this in a trade. Unfortunately I forgot who it was. But I would like to say a big THANK YOU to them and "Send me some more!!!"

wcudwight, May 22, 2007
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

Thanks to hoppymeal and limesmut for this beast.

12 oz. bottle poured into a nonic.

Pours a burnt oragne hue with a fluffy white head that dies down a bit after pour. Stickiness is here and there, not a whole lot but it's present. Dirty, oily, citrus hops beat the crap outta my nose...but I love it. I also detect a stale bread scent in there as well, maybe this comes from the tiny bit of malt in this brew. Taste is not what I expected at all. Yeah the hops are there, but it's not that bitter at all. The malt displays itself quite well in the taste, very bready. A pale tasting malt, but perfect for this style. Hops seem to switch to a pine taste, but very pleasant. This is one complex tasting beer! Mouthfeel is very thick and chewy with little carbonation. Drinkability is pretty good, the alcohol is quite hidden. Wow, love this one. Definitely do what you can to get this beer. Bell's amazes again.

BeerTruth, May 19, 2007
4.43/5  rDev -1.3%

Finally picked up this case after coveting it for about 6 months. Got home and poured one after a short cool in the fridge. A bit more bitter than i had expected, but this beer is exceptional. Great beer for fans of Pliny, Dreadnaught, 90/120 min IPA. Great beer!

roggae, May 14, 2007
4.1/5  rDev -8.7%

this pours clear amber, leaving a bit of a fluffy white head. After a while, a ring remains and the foam sticks to the glass.

This smells VERY sweet - lemonade sweet. Citrus.

Taste is quite sweet and lemony, but also quite bitter like asprin. The alcohol is well hidden under this bitterness.

Mouthfeel is quite creamy.

Finish is slightly bitter.

Body is thick and rich. I love a good chewin' beer!

This is quite a beverage. Thick syrupy. good. It is unique in its ultra sweetness and bitterness at the same time. Highly recommended.

karengarys, May 12, 2007
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

This brew is a hazy orange/amber color with a medium thick cream-colored head that dissipates slowly. Thick coating of lace on the entire glass. Huge grapefruity hops in the nose, along with a touch of sweet malt. Medium-bodied with a rich hoppy character that is full of zesty citrus and some pine. The alcolhol is well-hidden but you can tell it is there. Some sweet malt and fruit flavors are underneath as well. The finish is nicely bitter and lasting, retaining the citrusy hops feel. Not one of the "punch you in the face" IIPAs but very good in its own right.

Dogbrick, May 11, 2007
4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

12oz bottle in pint glass

Pours a hazy orange color with a nice 2 finger creamy head, leaves lots of thick lace on the glass. The smell is massive amounts of citrus hops with some pine aromas. The taste is all hops, it does not have an overt malt prescense. Of course there must be a ton of malts to balance out all these hops. The hops add lots of bitterness (like you would expect) but, there is an amazing amount of "aroma" hops in the taste. The mouthfeel is just right, not to light, not to thick, great balance. This is one of my favorite IPAs. As a hop head, I think this is perfectly balanced between the malt backbone and the hops. Of course, if you are not a fan of overtop IPAs, then this probably is not for you :)

wspscott, May 11, 2007
4.22/5  rDev -6%

I had this first at a Larry hosted event recently in D.C. (incidentally, go if you ever have the chance. Larry Bell is a great host.) I was most impressed with this beer during the tasting and wanted to get my hands on some again. Here's are my thoughts on a bottle provided by a friend from Virginia.

Light orange with huge, fluffy head. Exceptional.

I can smell the grapefruit-esque hops, wafting from the glass sitting 6 feet away. Delightful citrus aroma. Not much malt, but I could stuff my head inside of a glass and bask in the delight of pure, fresh grapefruit. Maybe a bit one-dimensional, but who's complaining?

Flavor is fairly well balanced for an AIPA. Initially sweet, but this doesn't linger and the hops move-in to balance without being too bitter. Enough malt to stand-up to the hops, but nothing cloys. Nothing about hops overwhelms on the side of bitter as the name would suggest. The hop-"slam" seems all in the nose and this is just fine with me. Nice crisp finish.

Don't let the name worry you. This is an exceptionally drinkable beer, likely to be enjoyed by both hopheads and beer drinkers even a little afraid to try hoppy beers. Thanks to Mr. Bell for bringing another great AIPA into an already crowded market. I think this one has staying power.

longarm, May 08, 2007
4.15/5  rDev -7.6%

Poured from the tap at Larry's to a tall thin glass. The liquid is a light gold with very good carbonation. The head is 2 fingers of off white thick fluff, It leave quite a bit on nice lace.

The smell is a powerful grassy aroma, with alcohol and pine needles. Nice.

The taste follows, very grassy with lots of pine, a little thin on the citrus, could use a bit.

The mouthfeel was good but a bigger thicker malt would be welcome and up the body some.

The drinkability was great, quite enjoyable from the tap. Prosit, MK

MuenchenerKindl, May 08, 2007

Pours a clear copper color with nice big head that takes a few moments to dissipate. Big grapefruit aromas when you pop the cap with some pine notes lurking. Taste is relatively smooth citrus and pine hops with plenty of malts to give a sweet body. As it gets older the hops die off more quickly than I would have thought and it becomes a boozy sweet beer that does not reflect the fresh beer much at all. Mouthfeel is nice. A little too much alcohol to get a high drinkability score. A great DIPA, up there with my favorites. Fresh on draft must be excellent!

Duster72, May 07, 2007
3.83/5  rDev -14.7%

Man, what a beautiful head. Full, dense craggy bubbles that melt slowly to very sticky lacing and top covering white. Light, cloudy golden orange liquid.

Aromas are all about the pine and citrus hops.

Taste is sweet pale malt, some candy sugar flavors, and then pine hops that finish to grapefruit cleansing.

Aftertaste is surprisingly light and mild..only a hint of the citrus hops sweetened to the point of reminding me of pink grapefruit.

I'm afraid you would never realize the ABV you are ingesting in this brew...it could be very dangerous....it's very drinkable.
***
I don't know what to say.
I've a new 6'r this year and honestly can't drink it. I can't finish a single bottle.
I guess my tastes have changed drastically, but I do not like this beer at all.
I'll leave my excellent graded review, but hopefully this will serve as a warning to me in the future.

IntriqKen, May 05, 2007
4.55/5  rDev +1.3%

Bottled from batch 7806 and received in trade. I was very excited to receive this beer after reading so many glowing reviews. It has not disappointed. The aroma is big and the flavor is bigger. Huge citrus hop, lemon/orange and some pineapple and honeydew flavors. Great long lasting full flavor and it burps great too! Man, if Bells had California distribution, it would certainly be in a regular rotation for me.

ChazMania, May 02, 2007
4.55/5  rDev +1.3%

Appearance - Hazy orange color. Fluffy white head that dissapates fairly quickly.

Aroma - Intense citrus aroma. I picked up quite a bit of grapefruit and pineapple.

Taste - Obviously a big hop flavor. Quite a bit of pine, grapefruit, and pineapple. Nice malt backbone to balance out the hops.

Mouth - Light to medium bodied with the same carbonation.

Drinkability - The beer is dangerously drinkable for 9.5%. Better watch out with this one cause it will creep up on you if you are not careful. One of the best Imperial IPA's out there in my opinion.

mjgardner, Apr 26, 2007
4.45/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into a tulip.

A: A nice clear, amber color with a small, creamy, off white head that dissipates quickly.

S: Strong, sharp pine needle at first. At second whiff I get a handful of other fruits. Grapefruit, orange, pineapple, apricot, and lemon. Granted, all of these are minimal compared to the pine/grapefruit, but the smell is awesome. Not too much malt here, which is a tad disappointment, but it does have some slight sweetness to it.

T: Nice and quite refreshing for something called a “Hop Slam.” Hops are, of course, the winner here with pine and grapefruit/orange as the leaders. Other fruits, the lemon, apricot, and pineapple, are around as well. Some slight evidence of alcohol is found, but does not distract at all. Malts are more present than the smell and give a nice sweet, bready note to the taste in the back. Slight bitterness ends with the tongue numb from the hops. Awesome.

M: Mouth feel is not as full or thick or sticky as I would have liked, but is still good. Light/medium body with a low/medium carbonation that makes this beer go down easy and clean.

D: Insanely drinkable for the ABV. This stuff is awesome. Definitely will have to get my hands on this again.

Luchman, Apr 23, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

A- About a inch thick white (or JUST off) head on a cloudy darker orange body.
S- Huge hops up front. Citrus, lemon grass, grapefruit, pine, and hints of orange. There is a sweet malt in there to help balance it out.
T- Big hop flavor right off the bat then some malt creeps in then the tickle of alcohol on the tongue and then the warming from the alcohol. All this is going on while the hops are just stuck in the mouth. All the aromas above come in to make the hop flavor. The malt comes through and kind of helps balance it out by adding touches of sweetness. The bitterness is all over the tongue and stays for a long time.
M- Full body with low/medium carbonation.
D- It is very good. Huge amount of hops so for any hop head this would be a great beer.

BlindPig, Apr 23, 2007
4.53/5  rDev +0.9%

Loved this beer.

Poured a murky off-orange in color. I noticed some sediment in the bottom of the bottle but a bit snuck past my careful pour and hung in the beer. Thin head resting on top. Nose is malty with just a slight hop tang that belies what lies underneath.

Flavor is perfectly balanced. Hops are fruity and citrus. Like biting into a ripe orange. The first sip grabbed my attention. Malts never rise to the top but are consistently present throughout each sip providing a perfect balance. Hop oils linger around the edges of the tongue. Mouthfeel is a bit watery but concealed well behind all the hops. A nice beer to enjoy a bottle or two at a time because after a couple my tongue would get numb.

MuddyFeet, Apr 22, 2007
Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.