Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 1,992
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.

(Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros

Batch 8277
Courtesy of drunkmonk. Thanks Joel for my Bell's fix.

Appearance - Golden amber. White head with tons of sticky lacing.

Smell - Fresh ruby red grapefruit, pine, and carmel.

Taste - As it smells, but stronger. Bold grapefruit balanced perfectly with a solid malt backbone. ABV hidden extremely well.

Mouth feel - Creamy and medium. Well carbonated.

Drinkability - Fantastic! Smooth and balanced. Another great one from Bell's!

DavidEddie, Mar 29, 2008
4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

Received this beauty from both TheodorHertzle and Brent56K. I love Bells and have been excited to try this beauty. Drank from my Stone India Pale Ale tulip.

Appearance- Pours a bright orangeish/yellowish/red with a decent half finger bright white foamy head. The head recedes fairly slowly leaving a swirled cap and thin bubbly collar with a medium to small amount of lacing.
Smell- Deliciously fruity with loads of pineapple, peaches and apricots. A bit of a bready, raw malt underneath but it's covered very well by the abundance of hops. Very fresh and summery, it reminds me a lot of Hop 15.
Taste- Mmmm... Bitter but not excruciating like I was expecting after the nose. Loads of fruit including more of the pineapple and some juicy mango. A bit of dry goodness does cut into the bitterness a bit more. The alcohol is there but barely noticeable and it finishes with lingering fruity bitterness.
Mouthfeel- Medium body with very light aggressive carbonation and a slightly dry, crisp finish.
Drinkability- This is the best beer I've had since I've moved back to Chicago. It's a semi hop bomb, semi a fruity delight! The honey adds a nice touch of dryness in the finish that you really don't expect and it's an all around terrifically done beer. Now I understand all the scramble to snag as much of this stuff as possible! Big thanks again to Matt and Brent!!

younger35, Mar 26, 2008
4.25/5  rDev -5.3%

Bottle courtesy of jsquire. Thanks for the awesome bonus!!
Pours a gorgeous cloudy glowing thick orange with an offwhite head that stuck around for a bit. Bottle is a year old at least, so not sure how much hops have faded, but the smell is more caramelly and of orange with lighter hop backing in the nose, but still nice. Sweet hopped flavor, and the bitterness is somewhat restrained. The flavor is fruity, orange, caramel and a touch of alcohol, and the body is rich and thick, but with prickly carbonation, making for an outstanding mouthfeel. Extremely drinkable DIPA, and one I look forward to trying fresh. Great beer!

Rerate of fresh bottle. Much more vibrant hop character, obviously, along with big fruity bittersweet apricot and floral flavors. Still very drinkable, and brimming with flavor. One of my favorites.

JDV, Mar 24, 2008
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

On tap at Underground Bluz! (pint glass)

A- Slightly cloudy golden honey. Decent off-white head, lots of lacing.

S- Heh... HOPS, a pinch of citrus and honey. Fellow BA osi helped point out some pine.

T- Explosive, bitter-sweet hops, honey, and some of the pine. Very delicious. You can't really detect the alcohol, which could be bad if you start sucking these down.

M- Pretty crisp, medium to light body. Medium carbonation.

D- Very drinkable, goes down easy. Can be dangerous with its ABV.

ScottUCF84, Mar 24, 2008
3.93/5  rDev -12.5%

Hopslam pours a hazy, light, amber honey color with a small head that leaves a bit of lacing on the side of the snifter. The smell is very strong, mainly consisting of bright, citrussy hopes. Mostly grapefruit aromas with an underlying bit of honey. The taste starts with a very, very brief bit of sweetness followed a powerful punch of hop bitterness that knocks your socks off but slowly fades away to a soft bitter aftertaste. As the beer warms, the bitterness calms down, the alcohol starts to show up, and the flavors smooth out a bit. The mouthfeel is nice and medium-bodied. This is a tasty hop-bomb, though maybe not quite as good as the hype led me to believe.

Spidey13, Mar 24, 2008
4.7/5  rDev +4.7%

Fantastic double IPA, it wrecks you though. Mouthfeel is utterly like butter in you're mouth with it's pleasent hints of floral and suttle tones of the bitter. It does punch you in the mouth and really kicks you in the rear when the alcohol sneaks up on you down the line. After about 3 of these I was pretty well off and yet I found myself ordering more. A FINE example of what a DIPA can be, I feel it's better than two-hearted but thats a matter of opinion! :)

Tumpster, Mar 23, 2008
3.85/5  rDev -14.3%

I finally got to try Hopslam and found it amazing. Quite hoppy and extremly bitter.

A: Thick 1/2 finger head. Golden amber in color and clear to light.
S: Intense hops! Sweet melon / fruitiness and a fresh flora aroma.
T: Bitter hops overwhelm. Hints of spice, but I'm unable to find the honey flavor.
M: Slightly dry. My tongue has been wrapped in a hop blanket. This beer activated my salivary glands.
D: In yo face IPA. Very bitter, but the body balanced it out. Very strong hop characteristics. I was impressed!

d0ggnate, Mar 22, 2008
4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

Pours from the botttle a slightly hazy, but bright orange/copper color under a creamy 1/2" beige head. Retention is strong throughout the glass with just a few streaks of lacing noted.

The intial aromas were big-time essence of Juicy Fruit gum and freshly squeezed pink grapefruit juice. This was nicely supported with smells of sun-drenched fresh pine needles, lemon zest, tangerine and some faint sweet honey/floral notes. The 10% alcohol shows up faintly in the aroma serving to amplify the above. The aromas were basically all about the hops, but who's complaining? Fantastic!

Palate was very smooth, silky, creamy with a nicely subtle carbonation.

Flavor was extremely well balanced here between the hops, malts and honey. Yeah, it was definitely dominated by the hops; lots of citrus rind, honey drenched grapefruit and pine. But the late palate delivers a subtle, but balancing presence of orange blossom honey and light crystal malt sweetness. Finishes with a firm hop resin bitterness and a warming alcohol presence.

A very easy-drinking big DIPA. As the last swallow is consumed all you can think of is "I'd love to do another!" A must try for ALL hopheads!

macster, Mar 22, 2008
4.05/5  rDev -9.8%

Appearance: Poured into a Nonic Pint Glass. Beer is a hazy pale orange color with a thin one-finger head of off-white foam that quickly dissipates leaving a fine layer across the surface of the beer. Fine lacing clings to the side of the glass.

Smell: Strong nose of piney hops with floral and citrusy (grapefruit and orange) notes. A hint of mango peeks in here and there. I could smell this all day...

Taste: Hops, hops, and more hops. The malt body here is tough to find amid the pine and bittering hops, as is the honey this is supposedly brewed with. Surprisingly, the citrus and floral nose I detected isn't very apparent in the taste. If you search for them, you can find them, though. "Tongue-bruising" qualities diminish as beer warms. Finish is short with a bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, thin, crisp, lively and carbonated.

Drinkability/Overall Impression: I actually liked this beer a LOT better when I had it on tap. I really wished this tasted as good as it smelled. I do enjoy my hops, but I prefer more balance between the bitter and floral/citrus varietals. Although I do enjoy this offering, I'm not sure how many I could have in one sitting before the 10% ABV caught up with me. That being said, would I have it again? Absolutely. I look forward to picking it up next year and working it in with my other IPA/DIPAs.

Phillyduke, Mar 22, 2008
4.22/5  rDev -6%

Bottle given to me as a gift from my fellow beer-enthusiast, Keith. I'd been dying to get my hands on one of these for the last year, so my expectations were perhaps a bit unrealistic.

It hada great orange/copper/gold color with a medium offwhite head and great lacing.
The aroma was piney and floral hops, citrus and sweet malt, mild sweet fruits.
The taste was good but not the excellent, hoppy and complex experience I was expecting. Not to say it wasn't good, but it wasn't anything outstanding. There was a good balance of floral hops with almost caramel malt and grain, but it was nothing groundbreaking.
The mouthfeel was very good, with a good crisp hop bitter-sweetness, complimented by a heavy dose of bitting carbonation. Ultimately it ended up fading into a smooth and sweet aftertaste.
Overall this was very drinkable and a hell of a good beer, and as some others have said, it may take more than one of these to realize some of the nuances, and fully appreciate the beer.

sinistrsam, Mar 20, 2008
4.7/5  rDev +4.7%

ok. first beer from Bell's i was disappointed. the second was better. this is the third.

Excellent!!! poured nicely. nice head and carbonation. some nice lace. the aroma is my opinion of a super nice citrus pine hoppy aroma. the flava? well i think this is one of the BEST double IPA beers i have had. i have had quite a few and this girl is top 3 for me!!!

suckem up and movem out!

giblet

giblet, Mar 20, 2008
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

I had high expectations, as I love Bells two hearted...

Citrus, and grapefruit with strong underlying hop characteristics. Alcohol Is present in the finish but not overwhelming. This beer lives up to expectation.

It pours a golden amber and has decent head retention.

Floral hoppy character on the nose, with some spice coming through as well.

Overall this is a great buy, try it now!

flannelman808, Mar 19, 2008
4.28/5  rDev -4.7%

Had on tap at the Heorot in Muncie, IN. Served in a tulip glass with a generous 1" off-white head over a orangy colored beer. The head lasted quite a while and left lots of clumpy lace as I drank.

Aroma: I could pick up lots of citrusy hops... like orange peel. But this was balanced off by a generous helping on toasted malt too.

Taste: Quite good! a rich, robust dose of citrusy hops that is well-balanced witha sweet caramel and grainy flavor.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and with good body. Carbonation is medium and provides a nice body and weight to this beer.

Drinkability: Excellent. Could enjoy a few of these.

TheBierBand, Mar 19, 2008
4.35/5  rDev -3.1%

A: Deep gold with just a small amount of head, no lace.

S: Hops abound with a sweet floral backing, crystallized ginger.

T: Lots of hops and citrus, but the honey sweetens it up so that there is balance.

M: Plenty of carbonation to keep your tongue interested, while the hops spoil your palate.

D: Very drinkable DIPA !!!

mfhlucky13, Mar 19, 2008
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

It looks like a thick copper, just like most doube IPA's, with a nice off-white head. The head is solid at first but dissipates relatively quick with minimal lacing.

The smell is very reminiscent of Two Hearted Ale, only there are added pine notes to go with the floral style. Centennial hops still appear to to be the dry-hop of choice here, according to the smell alone.

Hops are everywhere in the taste. Flowers are in the opening, and also rise in the closing, with some pine and a dash of citrus in the middle. Very nice, the malt definitely takes a back seat as expected.

It is medium to full bodied, and due to the strength of it, it is not the most drinkable, but that is expected with the style. The carbonation is low, probably due to the strength of it.
Overall, it is an awesome DIPA. It lives up to the style beautifully, and will always give me the blast of hops I often crave. Too bad it is only brewed once a year.

ASymon13, Mar 19, 2008
4.68/5  rDev +4.2%

Nice amber color with a light pink tint. Solid head drops to a thin covering and leaves solid lacing. I couldn't even see through the lacing at one point, it was like a sheet.

Sweet smell with floral hops and a full citrus smell.

Uniquely sweet taste. First IPA I've had with honey in it, I didn't know what that sweetness until half way through. Hops are awesome - tons of citrus and some exotic fruit. I think it's mango. Alcohol is well hidden - no taste of the 10% ABV at all.

Medium to full body - solid. Body is full like the flavor.

This is a strong, well-balanced beer. Awesome. It fully deserves any and all hype that it gets.

Tasted 3/18/08.

tmitch75, Mar 19, 2008
4.72/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have had this one in the bottle several times. Today was my first time on draft.

A: A cloudy orange brillant orange color with an ample head. The head dies down but sheet after sheet of lacing is left behind. Beautiful.

S: There is alot of citrus hops and a sweetness coming from the glass. Tons of fresh squeezed FLORIDA orange juice, along with a bit of ruby red grapefruit and a touch of pine. Wow, I can't wait to taste this one on draft.

T: Absoultely Wonderful! I have been pounding bottles of this on since its release, but HOLY SHIT, this is even better on draft. Tons of big bold sweet flavors come bursting at you. If you want juicy this is it. There are so many different citrus flavors your body goes into sensory overload. The hops rush in somewhere in the middle and just sit and mingle with the sweetness. I absoluetly love this beer. There is no hint of the ABV that is one packs.

M: A perfect match of medium body with full carbonation. The hops sting my tounge with each drink only to be mellowed out by a wonderful citrus sweetness.

D: I will once again proclaim this the most drinkable DIPA on the market. I realize it is only a 12 oz when many of the other greats come in bombers, but I could drink these until I pass out. (which would not be long by the way).

Overall: Are you suprised Bell's has made another great beer, I'm not. It's a true DIPA that drinks like an IPA. It is sooo smooth it goes down like water, eh, more like nectar. It is a wonderful brew that should be sought out. It truly is in a class of its own.

tpd975, Mar 17, 2008
4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

Stopped into a local bar after work that had this on tap. On top of that the rep from Bells was on site who was wonderful to talk to.

This is unlike other big hopped beers. It has more floral overtones and citrus flavors than other hopped up beers. The smell is wonderful, it's as if I died and went to hop heaven. After trying this I called the distributors in the area to see who had a case (got to love Pennsylvaia where you have to buy a case). While the bottles are very good, they pale (no pun intended) in comparison to the draft.

I fear that I may miss this beer as the hop shortage continues.

jsgpu90, Mar 17, 2008
4.1/5  rDev -8.7%

Got a recommendation of this brew from another member

Pours a good color, but for most "big beer" IPA's not as nice as I expected, had a mediocre head regardless of a vigorous pour and dissapeared rather quickly

Smell was amazing. Amazing aroma of citrus fruits, lemon, a hint of orange peels, and a rush of hops to finish it off.

Taste was great as well. Definitely a great IPA, but from what I was expecting was not as I imagined

I was comparing this beer to Troegs Nugget Nectar, as that was what I was told this tasted closest to, but in all honesty it wasnt.

I could definitely drink this brew year round, but I would place 90 Minute IPA as well as Nugget Nectar above this beer.

Wheeble, Mar 17, 2008
4.1/5  rDev -8.7%

Orange amber with a sticky ipa-style head.

Passion/tropical hops, bright citrus and weak pine in the nose.

Fresh flavor with the sweetest hop profile i've tasted in an IPA. Sticky resiny pineapple and papaya. Sugary grapefruit in there too.

Mouthfeel is medium to full, with a great balance from begining to finish. There is a sweetness that makes the drinkability pretty high, which balances the bitterness of the hops. An attempt to control the bitterness with the sweetness doesn't really rub me the right way.

Good beer. A fine IPA, and original/unique flavors. It was just a bit sweet and tropical for my ipa tastes.

SurlyDuff, Mar 17, 2008
4.6/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours a fairly transparent orange/red with a nice thick fine white head.

Smell is very floral and hoppy and sweet. Taste is extremely hoppy, with a nice bitter finish and a decent alcohol burn. This is the essence of hops, highly concentrated yet very tasty. There's a bit of sweetness, too, that balances the hoppiness well.

This is a great beer. What a joy for hop heads. Bell's has managed to bottle pure hop extract.

bassmantin, Mar 17, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +1.3%

Appearance- Poured into a pint glass, I got a great two finger head. Thick, creamy foam that looked just heavenly. Huge bubble lacing that sticks to the glass in great rings. I love it.

Smell- This beer smells incredible. I can smell the sweetness of the honey and pineapple along with the hops.

Taste- Whew. I love it. The pineapple that I smelled is still there, but there is such a complexity of flavors here. The hops are the body of this beer, but there is an outstanding moment in every sip where there's this great transition from bitterness to sweetness to the finish. And the finish is a memorable one. I can taste that slow burn of alcohol, but it's not such a bad thing.

Mouthfeel- Very carbonated, but that's to be expected. Not watery and not too thick. Goes down smooth.

Drinkability- This is a very noteworthy beer. It's something to be appreciated and treated right. It's great to slow down and enjoy a beer that is a work of art. That being said, I couldn't have more than one or two in a night. It's 10% ABV is not lost on me.

Andrewtherooster, Mar 16, 2008
4.7/5  rDev +4.7%

12 oz. bottle from Greenwood Spirits (Bowling Green), poured into a Unibroue "tulip."

Pours a slightly hazy, tangerine-tinged honey gold, with a finger-and-a-half of pillowy head. that dissipates slowly to a persistent quarter-inch, leaving stubborn lacing as the beer is consumed.

A blast of citrus greets my first sniff, smelling of grapefruit rind without any pithy funkiness. The citrus is quickly cut by floral esters, which in turn lead to a smell I can only describe as "green" or "spring-ish" (gotta love highly specific technical terms). Surprisingly, there is a slight yeasty malt aroma underneath the whirlwind of hops. The smell is so complex that I wish I was reviewing this on a clearer palate (this is my "nightcap" beer for today).

My first sip is rewarded with an instant blast of hops to follow the aroma: wonderful fresh grapefruit oil, kumquats, fresh apricot, a hint of white pepper and other spices (nutmeg, mace, perhaps a touch of allspice). The honey mentioned on the label appears in the surprising malt sweetness that enters on the tail of the other flavors; nothing unpleasant, just enough for a delicious, winey balance. The 9.3% alcohol is almost undetectable until the beer nears room temperature, and even then it is barely detectable against the other flavors.

Mouthfeel is just about dead on: medium-full, slightly oily body that leaves a surprisingly pleasant slickness that begs for another sip. Carbonation is just sufficient to keep things a bit lively without turning too frothy in the mouth.

DANGEROUSLY DRINKABLE. This beer is more complex than merely huge. Aroma and taste are like a palette of hop flavors, making me wonder what varieties were used. The best characteristic of this beer is that I taste the best aspects of hops without the drawbacks (extreme bitterness, pith flavor, etc.), and that the subtle sweetness perfectly tempers the rawness of the hops. I only have this bottle at the moment, or I would be sorely tempted to crack another. I only dock half a point from the drinkability because more than a couple might knock one off one's barstool. Highly recommended.

VikingBeer, Mar 16, 2008
4.93/5  rDev +9.8%

Wow what a great beer here. One of the characteristics of an IPA is the strong presence of hops. This beer has them in there. It pours an amber color and has very little head. The first thing you will notice with this beer is aroma. My god it is a heavenly smell. It is very much a flowery bouquet in there. Now I have not yet learned my hops by smell but I am sure more experienced beer lovers could pick out the hops used in this brew just based on the smell. It has a smooth and sweet taste. One that makes drinking more than one very easy to take down. However, that is not good as it 10% ABV. So it's pretty easy to get drunk off this beer, which is a shame. This is a beer that should be enjoyed slowly to savor all that is have to offer.

edmedina, Mar 16, 2008
4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

Holy crap! ncvbc sent me this on a recent trade! Thank you thank you thank you!

Served in a "trois pistoles" goblet at more or less 60 F.

Pours off yellowish bright orange, frothy white head and some cloudy yeast dust, laces nicely, exellent looker, just pour it out slower and colder if you prefer a clearer product.

Monstrous aroma of apple, pear, apricot grapefruit and juicy fruit. Intense! Flavor is a big bunch of those same perceived in aromas blended with a melanoidin rich tasting malt backbone. Medicinal, grepfuit-like bitteness in the finale and in the mouthfeel is not puckering like some hop-centered ales can become. Bravo!

At 10% ABV, even a lunatic would have a hard time downing a bunch of pints... then again if it where a all-afternooner, I'd try.

bloberglawp, Mar 16, 2008
Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.