Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 2,284
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 11,333 | Reviews: 3,375
4.52/5  rDev +0.9%

2010 Hopslam served from a 120z bottle

A- Slight haze, good head retention, strong yellow/ever so slight orange color.

S- Hop explosion, Columbus, Citra, Simcoe, slightly Summit, probably with all the rest of the C hops, and some unknowns.

T- Nice malt backbone and warming niceness. Very balanced, not overly bitter. Definitely Columbus in the flavor. Nice resin hoppiness that lingers just enough to let you know you're drinking something special

M- Full body as a result of maltiness and resiny hops. Medium carbonation.

D- For being high alcohol, very drinkable. This will get you in trouble because the alcohol is deceiving.

4.87/5  rDev +8.7%

pours a deep golden honey with thin white-ish head that takes it time but eventually leaves. smell is amazing with a strong earthy fresh fruity flavor....hoppy. taste, like the smell, is amazing with a strong grapefruity/hoppy kick and tid bits of alcohol with an awesome bitterness at end. the mouthfeel is all there and big. very drinkable.

been reading all the hype about this and just had to try it so i called 12 locations and only one had any left, they saved me a case, and it was worth the drive and money.

4.25/5  rDev -5.1%

Deep orange/amber with thin white head. Strong earthy/pine hop aroma. The taste follows the nose; earthy, grapefruity hops with strong malt backbone. Finish is rather dry and bitter. Aromatic hop aroma/presence lingers in the finish as well. Extremely drinkable as the alcohol is well hidden.

4.19/5  rDev -6.5%

So much hype...does it deserve it?

A: Very nice in a glass, as our most DIPA's. A golden honey color with pretty bubbles rolling up the side.

S: The absolute best part of this beer is the smell. Divinity. Mango's and peaches, dipped in honey, with a nice hop aroma. The best smelling beer ever in my opinion.

T: The fruit smell comes through in the flavor. Peaches and mangos, a nice sweetness from the honey...and a pleasant alcohol/hop bite in the finish. Super smooth, and easy to drink.
Floral, mild (very mild) citrus notes. Grapefruit. Earthy. Complex to say the least.

M: Creamy. Smooth. Biting as it rolls over the tongue. After it goes down the tongue is in hop-shock for a few moments.

D: Overall, I love this beer - but who doesn't? It's Bell's, it's a DIPA, it's an American beer fully realized. A delicious beer...but there are better DIPA's. And frankly, standing in line for it is absurd.

4.26/5  rDev -4.9%

Thanks to Jason for this growler. Out of my DFH glass.

A- Beautiful amber color, with a healthy white head. The head retains extremely well, and bubbles dance up from the bottom of the glass.

S- Clean, crisp, sweet hoppy smell. Not terribly strong or complex, but well balanced. Piney, and touches of honey. A little booze too.

T- Beautiful balance of hops, and honey. Again, not the hoppiest beer or the most complex, but it's just so smooth and balanced. I get the majority of the heavy hop flavor off the aftertaste.

M- Beautiful. One of the best mouthfeels on an DIPA. It has just enough body, and a kick ass flavor.

D- I just plow through this stuff. I can't even tell it's 10%, as it's so easy to take huge gulping sips of.

Hopslam is something I now look forward to every year. Was happy to get a glass at the end of last summer to hold me till now. Can't believe we still don't get Bell's in CT =(

4.39/5  rDev -2%

poured from a 12oz. bottle. batch #10073 into a brewery goblet.

appearance is a golded copper color with creamy white lacing that fades quickly.

smells strongly of a woodsy piney hop with just a hint of citrus.

taste there is a strong malt backbone that is present throught and plays well with the pleasently overwhelming aroma and flavor of the hops. the honey contributes nicely near the end and it finishes rather dry and resiny im sure do to the late addition and dry hopping.for a 10% dipa the alcohol hides well and only reveals itself as a minor note as the beer warms.

mouthfeel is rather thick and creamy for an dipa.

drinkablilty this beer is extremely flavorful and almost every drink reveals a subtle nuance. its an exiting experience, one i look forward to every january.

4.6/5  rDev +2.7%

A-Pours a gorgeous,opaque,bright,rusty orange with a 1 inch,densely packed,creamy,slightly off-white head fed by numerous plumes of carbonation and leaving wispy lacing.

S-Phenomenal!I didn't even have to wait to get my nose in the glass to smell this one.As soon as the bottle was opened,I was floored by the aroma of high quality marijuana.Sticky sweet fruit and oily,pine notes.In the glass the nose consisted of bright,sweet fruit(tangerine,blood orange,mango and nectarine)accompanied by floral scents of jasmine and honeysuckle and an underlying honey/malt sweetness.

T-Fresh pink grapefruit,some astringent pine,sweet and floral notes of Wildflower honey and ripe stonefruit.

M-Bitter,sweet and tangy.A very complex blend of hoppy qualities in one brew.Oily and sharp but also innately creamy and refined.Appropriately carbonated.

D-Very,very scary drinkability.

4.43/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Chimay chalice. Batch number 10073, bottled on December 29, 2010, making this beer three weeks old.

Appearance: Pours a very nice dark, dirty orange color. A faint bit of light red colors poke through. Turns a great golden color when held up to the light. Very clear, very clean. A thin layer of eggshell colored head reluctantly fades to a few blobs of foam along with a ring hugging the glass.

Smell: Strong, strong hop aroma, (duh!) very overwhelming, but very pleasant. Definitely more of a piney hoppy smell, but there is also some sharp citrus notes in there. Mostly grapefruit. I think I can smell the bitterness coming!

Taste: Nice citrusy flavors lead the way, grapefruit and under-ripe orange to mellow it out a bit. A maltiness is there as well, fighting to be tasted, and they add somewhat of a balance, but they don't stand a chance. A definite smooth sweetness, then some alcohol, a little black pepper in there too. The hop flavor is there throughout, killing my tongue with bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Huge body with high carbonation level. This beer is very lively while in the mouth. The bubbles really compliment this one. The appearance, smell, and taste are all very lively, and the carbonation level fits as well. (My first perfect "5")

Overall: At 10%, this beer is scary drinkable. This is a hop bomb, but the sweetness and malts add a much needed (albeit small) dimension. I usually tend to steer clear of intensely hoppy beers, but this is an exception.

4.42/5  rDev -1.3%

Holy cow! This is one hell of a beer!! Thanks to my buddy Dave (Bierenutz) i am getting the chance to try this one.

Poured in my Struise glass the beer has a very good look. A bit darker-yellow fluid with a super nice white firm head. Some carbonation in the glass, almost perfect.

The smell is exeptional, honey indeed and the fruity hops make this a feast for the nose. Perfect bitterness. With a very good and somewhat spicey mouthfeel and dito drinkability this is one of the best i ever had from the states.

Thanks again Dave, my brother from another mother!

4.6/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Served on draft at Rustico on Alexandria, VA on 1.19.2011

A - Nice and bright / dark orange. Almost like an ambler color but had more of a golden tint. Also had a decent head of about roughly one finger's worth

S - Lots of citrus and hop, maybe some pine. I pickup some sweetness even on the nose.

T - My first impression of this is how smooth it is all around. It doesn't not have the bite of a dreadnaught and does not overpower you with sweetness. Obviously there is a lot of hop here but not as much as I was expecting. A good amount of tropical notes with a slight sweet malt finish. This years taste more sessioanlable and less hot than last year's

M - Medium Body, Carbonation just right and overall not too sticky like some DIPAs tend to be.

D - Very drinkable such a high ABV.

4.57/5  rDev +2%

On tap at Bodega, served in a full pint. (Yessss!)

The head is big, rocky and sticky. Full on laceterpiece (credit Spider889 for this term). The beer is a clear orange-gold. The smell is apparent right away. Big sweet tropical fruits with pine backing it up. This is massively hoppy smelling but quite sweet on the nose. The taste is pretty in line with the aroma, in that it is hugely hoppy with out all the hoppy bitterness. A medley of tropical fruits; pineapple, tangerine, banana, and coconut. Dry body with a sharp carbonation. Superbly clean finish. One of the beers that I look forward to ever year.

4.72/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter. Fresh bottle just picked up this morning.

Pours a deep gold color with a good three finger fluffy white head that stuck around for at least 15 minutes.

Aroma is fruity hops and a tinge of alcohol. Some nice floral hop aromas make their way through as well.

Taste, as might be expected, is hops hops hops. Mostly grapefruit hops up front fading to floral and last but not least, that nice hoppy tongue coating flavor. A little alcohol in the first sips fades as my tastebuds become numb to anything but hops. Worth noting that the lack of bitterness is a great catalyst for the enjoyment of hoppy flavors.

Fantastic dry mouthfeel.

Feels like I could drink a case in one night. Amazing.

4.57/5  rDev +2%

A- A beautiful amber color with a foamy head of about one fingers width

S- Fruity, aroma hits the nostrils as soon as the bottle is opened

T- A little dry with the same fruity tones through out the sip

M- Effervescent, tingles the palate

D- Very easy to drink, sometimes forget that it is actually 10% alcohol

4.22/5  rDev -5.8%

This is a review of the 2011 Hopslam (duh).This beer pours a honey orange, very translucent with a light white head that rims the glass. It smells of citrus and pine with a lot of honey. Remembering last year's via the smell made me smile, almost laugh. Oh...Hopslam. I don't know where people are getting pineapple and other random fruits. The flavor is honey upfront followed by an entire pine tree with a pitcher of orange juice. I'm a fan, obviously, but this was WAY BETTER last year. It's well carbonated and goes down smoothly. This beer is very drinkable for the content. It boasts excellent flavor but this was FAR BETTER last year. It's not as powerful or strong or something. I don't know what it is, but it's off.

4.18/5  rDev -6.7%

Appearance- Bright glowing copper pour with 2 fingers of fluffy off-white head. Good lacing.

Aroma- The citrus come first, but underneath there is a fresh floral scent that really makes it smell bright. There is some sweetness here more sugar than malt.

Taste- Not the strong suit. There is the hop burst (albeit light), a nice sweetness that is not sticky or heavy but bright (I know that word again), and a crisp bitter finish. Overall there is a lack of flavor here, just not popping the way I feel it should based on previous vintages and other DIPAs.

Mouth- Good, it coats but doesn't stick.

Drink- Highly drinkable, I feel the lack of flavor is partially responsible for this.

Overall the word that describes this from soup to nuts is bright. It looks bright in the glass, it smells and tastes bright, and finishes light and crisp. But somewhere in the middle I lost the hopslam that I have come to expect over the years.

4.95/5  rDev +10.5%

Damn, this stuff is awesome! A buddy of mine got a case last year and kept bragging about it and I didn't get what the big deal was, but mostly because he's a wanker. I've never seen it for sale and our local store, Beer Run had a limited supply. So, sitting at my miserable soul suckling corporate job at about 4:30, my wonderful wife asks if i saw the last part of the Decemberists live show on NPRs website because they asked Chris Funk what his favorite beer was. That's when it clicked: I forgot to call Beer Run to see if they had got some Hopslam in yesterday! I called. They had about two cases left. So, with $50 gift card in hand (thanks in-laws!) I shutdown my computer and explained to my co-workers, who would never understand, this desperate mission I was on. I showed up to Beer Run with lazer like focus on finding this before the other turdbags did. To my surprise, there were a couple of six packs sitting on top of a case, so I snagged the max I could, which was limited to two per customer. I was to busy chit chatting about how awesome this beer is while the girl rang me up and didn't even notice that it was $20 a six pack. Needless to say, it was well worth it and homeostasis is restored in my bio-dome.

4.45/5  rDev -0.7%

Crisp clear golden color. Nice frothy head laces the glass very well.

Hops blast off this guy. Pine and citrus are very prevalent. Lemon to grapefruit.

Sweet to the taste. A very present honey mellows the powerful hops. Herbal and citrus play very well off each other. While it is a super hoppy beer all the flavors come off very well balanced. The bitterness reminds me almost of apple juice.

Wonderfully smooth and drinkable. Has just the right touch of alcohol to help provide a kick to the flavors. It is lightly carbonated. Believe the hype... worth seeking out.

4.66/5  rDev +4%

Just thought I would begin this review by telling everyone that I just poured the beer and was run over by the smell of fresh pineapple. I wasn't even trying to smell it!

Anyway, here we go...

A: Little to no head. Big huge bubbles collecting at the bottom of the glass. Nice dark golden color and fairly translucent.

S: Wow! Pineapple, pine trees, fresh cut grass, lemon. Hops galour. Can't say I smell the malt, however, there is a nice sweet touch in the nose. The smell is just amazing without burning your nose hairs. Booze is there for sure.

T: Earthy bitterness up front. Extremely creamy sweetness to balance it out but that bitterness is still kicking on the sides of my tongue. My teeth are coated in a perfect sweetness. The beer smells of fresh fruit but kicks of earth and pine needles. I have to say the only thing to pick apart here is the booze. I realize it's a 10% DIPA, but the booze is getting in the way. I do like that it is making my gums tingle with the beautiful spicyness of the hops.

M: Big time carbonation, the bitterness makes my mouth quiver. The sweetness just coats the mouth in an oily bitterness that is absolutely awesome.

D: Ok, the smell alone should give this beer an A. The scent is definately the best aspect of this beer, however it excells in every other aspect of the beer. I am amazed that after the smell, the malty sweetness can stand up to the overwhelming bitterness this beer packs. Thank you Bells. Make this a year around selection and I think I would personally keep your brewery in business.

4.4/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

12 oz. bottle poured into a standard pint glass. Here we go:

A - Bright golden color, with an inch or so of bright white head that fades down to almost nothing. Great lacing as it goes down.

S - Fresh cut grass and loads of citrus fruit

T - No doubt this has about as much flavor as you can shove into a beer. Heavy hops but some balanced sweetness too.

M - Thick and creamy.

D - It would be way too easy to try to get through a few, but the 10% abv says no

Awesomeness in a bottle

4.63/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured into a tall pilsner glass from 12 oz. bottle. Poured at approximately 45 degrees.

A - Very nice clean amber appearance. Half inch head that leaves behind nice lacing on glass. Good, steady carbonation but not overly done.

S - Definite grapefruit and citrus aromas with a hint of pine coming through. Not at all overwhelming but very clean smell.

T - Very smooth and drinkable. Surprised that it's so smooth for such a high ABV content beer. Grapefruit and pine are present with a distinct grapefruit type of finish. Not as bitter as I would have thought but does have some bitterness at the finish; but not overwhelming. Very nice finish.

M - The word that comes to mind for mouthfeel is "clean". It doesn't cling but is very smooth and reminds me a bit of Pliny but probably not as strong.

D - Very drinkable for a 10% ABV. It is something to enjoy by taking your time and sipping.

I purchased this limited edition beer from my local party shoppe two days after being delivered. They offered it in mini-kegs, full 24 bottle cases ($63) and sixers. The store permitted mixing a sixer with any variety of singles at a 10% discount, so I popped in two Hopslams and other singles of my favorites. As for the Hopslam, I would have to say the hype is not overdone for this fine beverage as it is truly smoother, cleaner on the palate and so very drinkable over other Double IPAs that I've tried (similar to Pliny the Elder). The beer geek at the store indicated that this year's edition is improved over last year's. This was my first bottle but I must say that it was certainly worth the effort (Thanks for the tip RJHami).

4.52/5  rDev +0.9%

Picked up a 6 pack for $16.99. Bottled on January 5, 2011. Poured into town hall snifter:

A - pour produces a nice egg shell white head about two fingers thick. It dies down to a nice white ring around the edges but still looks fairly thick. Nice golden amber color that is transparent. Sticky lacing and legs.

S - Nice fresh citrus hops and a bit bitter. Grapefruit, pineapple, mangos and a bit of melon. The pine comes in a bit but not as much as the citrus comes through. Smells delicious!

T - Pretty fresh tasting, but the whole citrus smells are a bit dulled in the taste. Still nice flavors of orange peel, a bit of lemon zest, pineapple and melon. The bitterness comes in toward the finish with nice, although slightly dulled, pine notes. A pretty solid DIPA but I kind of expected more citrus notes in the taste. If it tasted the way it smelled it would be just awesome.

M - A bit on the thicker side. This will come from the 10%. Its a little syrupy but still good. The hops in this one kind of dry out the mouth on the finish. The zest and carbonation are pretty well present and are quite nice.

D - A nice DIPA. I had this last year when it came out and thought it was awesome, but ever since then I've had a lot more DIPAs and have something to compare this to. Although I really like it, I think I was expecting a lot more. Don't get me wrong, this is a solid DIPA, its just that there might be some other ones out there that I might enjoy better (think Abrasive.) I recommend it to anyone who likes DIPAs, it is worth seeking out. Delicious and smells great!

4.57/5  rDev +2%

12 oz bottle into Harpoon IPA imperial pint glass; feel very lucky to have gotten a precious sixer of this from the awesome Sam's Quik Mart in Durham, as both shipments are already gone. Let's go....
A - Pours a clear orange/light amber, with a nice foamy head that quickly dissipates.
S - Wow - am I in heaven. A nice, fresh hop blast, floral/ycitrusy/grapefruity and incredibly pleasant, w/a hint of candy sweetness in there as well.
T - Sweetness, but not overpoweringly so, right off the bat, quickly mixing with grapefruit/orange rind hops. The hop "slam" is surprisingly restrained, but oh so pleasant and extremely well-balanced. The alcohol only announces its presence at the end with a prickliness on the tongue - it's particularly noticeable when the beer warms. The honey is discernible at the end as well, but barely and is quite pleasant.
M - A bit of prickliness as noted from the alcohol, but other than that quite smooth.
D - 10%? Really? Only taste the alcohol when it warms, and when it's still chilled, I could seriously chug this beer, it's that easy to drink. Kudos to Bell's.
Now I understand the hype on this one; great beer and by the way, kicks the stuffing out of PtE in my opinion and it's not even close.

4.77/5  rDev +6.5%

A - Bright, hazed golden with a white head that retains and laces fairly well considering the abv.

S - Pine hops up front with a honey, caramel sweetness backing it up. Pineapple and mangos come out as it warms a bit.

T - Substantial tropical fruit hop flavoring comes through up front with pineapple, with a rich honey malt backbone, and finishing with a blast of resinous pine hops. I'm not sure how this could really be improved in any way.

M - Close to a full body with ample carbonation. Smooth, creamy, slick mouthfeel with accumulating hop oils and honey coating the mouth.

D - Wow, I never even got a hint of the abv. The use and execution of the honey to create balance is both unique and performed perfectly. The hops provide an abundance of flavor and while the bitterness is there, it never becomes overwhelming. Absolutely lives up to the hype for me.

4.62/5  rDev +3.1%

Finally, a Hopslam is mine! Snatched up one of the last six packs in Richmond. Batch number printed on the bottle, no freshness date though. Pours a dark golden color, with a moderate head and gobs of lacing. Hops hit the nose first, with some honey, a lot of pine, citrus. The hops comprise the majority of the smell but it is very well balanced. Hops also come to the forefront of the palate, with the honey becoming evident halfway through the tasting. The hops really shine, and instead of being a simple but tasty hop bomb like a lot of other IPAs, Hopslam's hops are well balanced and complex. Pine, citrus, and earthier hops all make an appearance, and the alcohol can be felt on the way down and it is damn good. Mouthfeel is full bodied and chewy. Drinkability is outstanding, with the elegant flavor, perfect bitterness, and alluring appearance combing to make this one I just can't get enough of.

Definitely worth the effort and hassle to obtain. What a great beer!

4.8/5  rDev +7.1%

Appearance: Glowing golden amber with a fluffy, soapy white head.

Smell: Citrus peels and honey.

Taste: This starts out light with a mild battering of citrus zest on the tongue before laying down the hammer with agressively fresh grapefruit, orange peel citrus hop and white pepper but wow it's oh so magically balanced with an indescribably complex bed of malts. Oh, and there's that underlying honey/orange sweetness like a touch of sunshine. Perfect DIPA 5.0, easy to drink, and very hard to believe it's 10% ABV, that is until 3 bottles later...

Mouthfeel: Smooth and medium bodied.

Drinkability: Legendary? Perhaps. Yes. Again, it's 10% ABV? Very, very good. Hops are fresh and tasty, but this one's got the balance and complexity to prove it deserve's an A+, and not just another hop bomb. Had this one on tap at the MN Brew Review as well.

2012 note- not as spectacular this year.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.