Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 1,907
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.

(Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
4.38/5  rDev -2.4%

Thanks to sman262 for the trade. 12 oz bottle. As soon as I cracked this one open I could smell sweet crisp hops. Pours into my pint glass a hazy freshly polished copper/orange apple juice color with a 1/4 inch of bubbly whitehead that settles to leave a wispy white small covering over the top of the beer.
Nice big aroma of hops with a sweet backdrop behind it. Big whiffs of grapefruit sprinkled with sugary sweetness. Just as prominent as the sweet grapefruit is an aroma that reminds me somewhat of a hoppy version of tang. All of these big fruity aromas are surrounded with a candy sweet backdrop of maltiness.
Up front is a pleasantly bitter citrus hop bite that really sinks its teeth into my taste buds. Ripe sweet and juicy grapefruit flavors are blended with a fresh orange and tangerine like flavors. The hop profile also has a piny characteristic that is more subdued than the big citrusy presence. Behind each wave of flavorful hop bite is that sweet candy malt sweetness not unlike the one I found in two hearted ale.
The mouthfeel is full with medium levels of carbonation.
This is a great crisp very drinkable DIPA from Bell's. The fresh flavorful hop profile along with the the nice sweet maltiness makes for a great beer drinking experience.

Matthew, Jan 19, 2007
4.7/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a hazed deep orange color with a thick white head and sheets of lacing left on the glass. Aroma is a wonderful boquet of hops. There is a little pine in there, some citrusy grapefruit, tangerine, and lime, along with some fresh peaches, and a faint toffee smell in there. Taste is more of the same as the aroma. Mouthfeel is a little more thin than you would expect from an IIPA but still good. Drinkability is great, no sign of the alcohol and this definitely goes down easy. Definitely a great beer and I will pick up more of this.

hckyfn9999, Jan 19, 2007
4.1/5  rDev -8.7%

Thanks oakbluff for hooking me up with this beauty!

Pours a hazed golden, thin white head forms, settles to a ring around the glass, nice lacing. Smell is massive pine, tons of citrus, floral, every hop smell imaginable, they must use a boatload, grapefruit acidity, no malt in my nose, excellent. Taste is a grapefruit truck, almost puckering with hops, lots of citrus and pine, again almost no malt, slight graininess, not a lot of depth the the hops certainly slam you good. Balanced in the sense the IBU's match the malt, not overdone in that sense but hopped to hell and back. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation, alcohol warmth. Not bad at all, thanks Scott!

Viggo, Jan 19, 2007
4.2/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

The color is a nice amber. Even with a careful pour there are floaties by the hundreds. Also no head, but probably because of my timid pour. The smell of hops is amazing. The floral and grapefruity aromas are delicious. The taste is also delicious. Aromatic citrusy hops give way to drying bitter hops. And your taste buds are officially fried. The only thing to do is have another. But be careful, as I learned the first time I bought this. It is way too easy to drink considering the alcohol level.

bigbubba, Jan 18, 2007
4.43/5  rDev -1.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my Sly Fox pint glass.
A - Cloudy, hazy orange with a good two fingers of dense off - white head that leaves a nice lacing with each sip.
S - Great aromas of hops, grapefruit, oranges, more hops, more piney, oily hops.
T - The first thing that I notice is the fantastic balance this beer has. Then the gigantic hop flavor kicks in but the malts are right alongside it. Pleasantly bitter and sweet from the malts at the same time.
M - Medium both in body and carbonation, slightly chewy, which I love.
D - High ABV limits drinking this all night, but two at a time seems just about perfect.

ClockworkOrange, Jan 17, 2007
4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

Received in a trade from mac300. Thanks, man!
Right when i heard Bell's (one of my favorite breweries) was going to do a DIPA i had to set up a trade.

Poured into a Rogue pint glass

Appearance is good. Dark orange color with haziness. Small amount of yeast on the bottom of the glass. Barely any head or lacing.

Smell is very good. Citrus hops and semi-sweet tangarine. Images of walking through a field of hops and citrus fruits come to mind.

Taste is very good. Same as the smell but much more intense. The hop bill is extremely well done in this DIPA. Bittering and citrus hops are everywhere here. The malts give off a great semi-sweet after-taste. Well balanced yet the hops dominate, which is how a DIPA should be, imo.

Mouthfeel is very good. This beer dances over the tongue and cheeks like a thing of beauty. Carbonation is almost perfect.

Drinkability is very good, as well. I can kill at least 3 bottles in one sitting.

Overall: An amazing beer from an amazing brewery. Right up there with some of the best West Coast DIPA's. Highly recommended.

KingG, Jan 16, 2007
4.97/5  rDev +10.7%

A- Cloudy amber with minimal head which disappears quickly leaving a minor lace around the edges.

S- Sweet citrus with piney hops

T- Holy sh!t this is what I want in a DIPA, hops that tear my tastebuds out and body slam them. Its been a while since I've had an IPA that could do that, thought I had grown some sort of tolerance, guess thats not so.

M- Oily with almost no carbonation.

D- I could make this my everyday beer, but I might be limited to 2. Really this is an amazing beer which I wish was available in my area.

WeymouthMike, Jan 16, 2007
4.28/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured from the tap and into a pint glass.

A: Hazy deep orange beer with a white half fingered head that quickly dissolves into a beautiful sticky lacing that crawls all over the glass.

S: Huge juicy floral hop bouquet. Citrus and pine sap.Caramel or toffee undertones.

T: Juicy hops dominate the fisrt sip. Fresh grapefruit and the sweet taste of peaches are followed by a puckering hop bite. Pine resin and caramel malts try to give your tongue a break but are beaten back by more hops.

M: Thick and syrupy. Minimal carbination. Slick or oily finish.

T: Juicy hop heaven. There is alot going on in this brew but it tasty none the less. Even though the hops dominate this beer it is balanced enough to enjoy. A savory treat!

Tyrawlings, Jan 16, 2007
4.08/5  rDev -9.1%

Although DIPAs are not my session beer, this is an DIPA that deserves extended sampling. If you are a fan of the style, this beer is a must try. If you are not a fan of DIPAs but want to increase your ability to judge other styles of beers this is a DIPA to start with. No doubt about the hops in this beer. Had it on tap at the cafe, will have to compare later to the bottle version.

thbeer, Jan 15, 2007
4.55/5  rDev +1.3%

I've been trolling the site for a couple of years and am a founding member of the magazine, but only my second review. Forgive me if amateur in nature

A - Pours a pale color with a creamy, large head in my Duvel glass

S - Smells of hops, hops, and more hops. Heaven in a glass.

T - First notes are of apricot, grapefruit, and bitter hops, followed by a warming, semi-sweet alcohol taste. Alcohol is not overwhelming, but noted. Citrus is prominent but not out of place.

M - Slightly syrupy, but not sticky. Feels smooth, and goes down that way too.

D - The alcohol content and syrupy nature prevent this from being sessionable, but still a very fine beer to drink.

Most expensive sixer I have ever purchased, but a bargain compared to $3.50-$5 for a pint of semi-decent beer at a bar.

kcillini77, Jan 15, 2007
4.58/5  rDev +2%

Appearance:
A big sticky white head crowns off a slightly hazy copper pour. The head displays some rather good retention with patchy lacing.

Smell:
HOPSLAM!!! The scent of this beer should be a Street Fighter character, because it kicks ass and makes its presence known. It's simply ripe with oily pine and apricot hop notes with a mild candy sweetness. Superb scent to me.

Taste and Mouthfeel:
The HOPSLAM!!! exits out a bit here to usher in more of a malt balance which is great for both the mouthfeel and the flavor. The hops are slick and resinous as they wash over the back of my palette but surprisingly mostly devoid of bitterness. The alcohol perks up a little mid drink after an initial malt sweetness. The hopping here is superb since there is a maximization of flavor vs. bitterness, something which I have found to be rare in DIPA. The malt body mixes well with the oily hop quality to create a very full and smooth mouthfeel overall. The finish is a little piney but the aftertaste is pretty clean given the amount of oomph packed in to this beer.

Drinkability:
The only thing against this beer is that it's a DIPA and thus it's a 4-pack kind of beer since the ABV is getting up there. It's certainly not made for extended drinking. This one's a highly enjoyable sipper though.

Bottom Line:
I see this compared to things such as the Dreadnaught, GI IIPA, and Ruination and I really find it to be considerably different from those fine offerings. It's more oily and certainly packing more hop flavor vs. a malt sweetness. I tell you what though, Bell's knows how to brew an American IPA.

Grundle20, Jan 13, 2007
3.53/5  rDev -21.4%

Interesting color, kinda breaks away from the typical DIPA look. Pale yellow color (not quite as pale as Victory's HopWallop). Slightly cloudy, but was clear before the dregs came out. Now it has large chunks of yeast in it. White head, 1/2" initially, now a sporadic mess on top. Lace grabs the glass.

Pine, pine resin, and grapefruit. I like this aroma profile, hints at lots of true bitterness and not the sweet floral aromas many DIPAs have. Also has an certain strange aromatic that I'm not quite used to, kind of a musty straw perhaps. Overall lots of hops and really no hints at any malts.

Interesting flavor, kinda similar to HopWallop again. Definately lacks a malty undertone and is mostly hops. A good bit of resiny pine and that same musty straw again. This is all okay to me, definately a different take on a DIPA that most brewers don't go for. I just don't care for this one quite as much. Overall unbalanced.

Lacks body in my opinion, probably due to the lack of malting. Kinda thin overall. Okay drinkability. This one just doesn't do it for me, and I'm not quite sure why it is garnering the reviews it is getting.

blitz134, Jan 10, 2007
4.15/5  rDev -7.6%

Excellent looking beer here, blonde color with a white head that has great retention and leaves plenty of lacing. Smell is very nice too, plenty of pine and fresh grapefruit to treat your nose. Taste was very hoppy, as expected. Flavors of grapefruit, pine, various other citrus flavors were also noticed. Bitterness was certainly present, but not a harsh bitterness, was more about hop flavor than IBU's. Medium body with a medium carbonation pair quite well with this one. Very solid beer, I would definitely have another, wish I picked up more than a single.

badbeer, Jan 09, 2007
4.93/5  rDev +9.8%

Big thanks to hoppymeal for this initial stock.

A: Pours a very cloudy amber peach color with a half finger white head. Dissipates quickly leaving retention around the edges of the tulip glass. Excellent lacing down the glass.
S: Extra big pine and fresh grapefruit notes. It’s as if I just stuck my nose in a grapefruit rind and ran through a pine sap forest. Accentuating notes of peach and apricot. A hop bomb if I’ve ever seen one. Good level of sweet malt notes when you swirl the glass around. Chewy and resiny. Big and bold. I can’t stop smelling this beer and smiling.
T/M: Grapefruit, apricot, orange peel flavors all splash across the tongue. Chewy and oily on the palate as if hop juice was squeezed right onto my tongue. Bitterness across the palate, but not overly pronounced and it only slightly lingers in the aftertaste with a bit of sourness. Maltyness is there, but is lapped by the hops--the malt smooths everything out. Very nice mouth feel on this brew with a slightly dry aftertaste. Medium to above average body.
D: Wow. Amazingly drinkable and smooth for the high abv that this brew touts—abv goes unnoticed and is masked completely by the huge hop flavors. Bitterness could be a bit more pronounced and the sourness in the aftertaste was a bit surprising.

bjohnson, Jan 09, 2007
4.6/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pored a cloudy,hazy pale amber with a huge white head that did not fade. Smell was off the charts cirus hops, thought I was in an orange grove. Taste was well you can probably oimagin, fantastic. Deep citrus and Pine, but not overwhelming at all. Complex dry finsh. Not overly carbonated. This is very drinkable as the ABV is well hidden and I could probably end up drinking too many before I knew it. Oh how I cannot wait for all these Bell's to be in NC!!

mikesgroove, Jan 08, 2007
4.4/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle with a green label that makes it quite noticeable on your local beer store shelves. The picture on the label is that of a man wearing blue jeans and sneakers being crushed by 3 big green hop buds. I bet when he woke up that morning that he didn't think he was going to get crushed by giant hops that day. You'll also notice that the man has very hairy arms. That got me thinking that the man under the giant hops is either Robin Williams or Tony Shalhoub. Bell's isn't going to say because then they would have to pay rights to them for using their picture, even though more than half of their body is under giant hops. On the back is another green label with a mini paragraph about the beer and a Batch ID #. Mine was 7690 and that means according to Bell's website that it was packaged on October 25, 2006. It's initial release was October 20th, 2006. That might mean that mine was one of the first or second batches of HopSlam bottled.

Appearance: The color of this beer is very interesting. It is an orange color no doubt, but it's more of a light cloudy tangerine orange color. I think I came close to the color of this beer by calling it a cloudy tangerine orange color. You have to see it for yourself. The head of foam was a little bit more desired, but I don't care, I like the color. All I got was just a small plume of white foam that dissipated into a small trace of white rings and lace around the glass. Every time I look at it just sitting there in my Great Lakes Christmas Ale Snifter, I just can't help but notice it's wonderful tangerine orange color.

Smell: It had a pleasant aroma of citrus fruits, citrus hops, and at the end was a jumble of tropical fruits. It was hard to tell what type of tropical fruits or even citrus fruits for that matter. They blended in nicely with the citrus hops. No malt in this aroma party, this is strictly a hoppy/fruity aroma party. So get out of here malts!

Taste: Bell's called this beer Hop Slam, so I kinda expected to be bombarded with hops, hops, and even more hops. That wasn't the case with this beer. It had plenty of citrus fruits and citrus hops in the beginning, but that then gave way to tropical fruits. Unlike the aroma, I could actually pick out the varieties of tropical fruits. The 2 tropical fruits I could pick out that I knew what they were was pineapple and mangos. Yes, even Pineapple! I believe there were more tropical fruits, but I am unfamiliar with those types. It was more of a fruit slam than hop slam, but that's OK, I like good surprises when it come to beer.

Mouthfeel: Huh, 9.30% ABV for this beer? Where was it? I couldn't smell, taste, or even feel it for that matter. Besides that, there was little aftertaste to this beer. I guess the tropical/citrus fruit party was over. It was time that they all just get and leave without a trace or even goodbye.

Drinkability: It was so good, that I don't care (maybe a little for the sake of my cash flow) that it costs $15 for a six pack. You pay the money for a top notch quality brew. Instead IMO they should have called this fruit slam or fruit explosion. There was more fruit than hops in this beer. This is another beer that seems to disappear into thin air because it's so good. This is another (I know there are many) Bell's beer you should try at least once.

AltBock, Jan 07, 2007
4.25/5  rDev -5.3%

App: Pours from a 12 oz. bottle with a delightfully playful and vibrant label, truly representative of the unique characteristics of this double IPA. The body is clear and bright, tangerine, orange in color and topped by a chunky white head that clings to the edges of the glass. Beautiful. Obviously nice carbonation before ever putting glass to mouth.

Aroma: Damn, almost more like tropical fruit punch more than IPA - pineapple, orange, pine, quince, apple. Nice. Big nose but certainly not too overpowering. Some slight malt character and alcohol, but only as background notes.

Taste: Incredibly powerful front burst of bitter-sweet hops, bigger and more intense than the nose would let on. I can't distinguish what hops were used, but they were certainly chosen for their rounded hop sweetness with challenging edges of bitterness. Hop oily but fruity sweet. Sweetness doesn't come from the malt and hence the alcohol also resides as a very background. I'd like a bit more malt presence. The middle palate contains a malt profile which finishes out with a dry piney bitterness that lingers into a fine aftertaste. From front to back: more pineapple, orange, sweet alcohol, pine, tangerine, estringency, grapes, lychee, champagne finish. Interesting. A new variety of double IPA and I applaud Bells effort.

Mouth: Big, full, bubbly-lively, and clean. Nice full-bodied and dry, slightly oily but an okay addition to this beer.

Drink: Yes, would have again and could certainly have more than one.

NoLiberty, Jan 07, 2007
4.43/5  rDev -1.3%

12oz. bottle poured a sun burst yellow/orange color with a large white head and spotty lacing also lots of particles floating around. Lots of tropical fruit in the aroma, some pineapple and other citrus hop scents. Taste like my tongue was slammed with bittering citrus hops with a bit of a dry finish. Good medium feel and easy to drink for a big hoppy beer.

Alkey, Jan 06, 2007
4.85/5  rDev +8%

Pours cloudy, with a bright gold color and a voluminous head that fades to a collar while leaving some sticky lacing on the glass. Incredible aroma packed full of different hoppy notes, such as grapefruit and mint. The aroma also has a nice bottom end to it, with honeyish, doughy malts right up front. The palate is huge and juicy, it's so substantial you could think it's solid food. Big, brash bitterness first off, which leaves active pinpricks on the tongue long after swallowing. Doughy malts form the base of the mid-palate, with grapefruits and hints of metals coming through as well. Some sweetness comes through (from the malts and the alcohol, I expect), but it succeeds in being delectable rather than cloying. Fine-bubbled carbonation moves things along the tongue. Very bitter finish that coats the mouth for a long time after drinking.

This is what a double IPA should be. It's very bitter, very flavorful, but also balanced with a massive malt payload that skirts the line between being overly sweet and too insubstantial to stand up to the hops. In other words, this beer is awesome.

geexploitation, Jan 05, 2007
3.9/5  rDev -13.1%

A sixer handed to me by my sister in law and her husband for xmas...how friggin' cool is that. Thankfully, they live right down the street from Shangy's.
Honey amber in color with a half finger of bright white head...thin lacing forms as most of the effervescence fades.
Inticing in the nose...mostly hops. Fruity, citrus hops with some floral perfume.
Taste is real good...grapefruit, orange peel, minty and even some spice. Alcohol is there, but the malt backbone helps distract the pallet from it becoming "hot"...honey flavor in the finish.
Mouthfeel is medium-bodied and the carbonation is a touch high...not quite a sipper, but the abv will sneak up on you as you try to savor the flavor with this offering.
Love Bell's...really enjoy this beer.

warriorsoul, Jan 05, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

This beer pours out a nice white head that sticks around and has a small amount of lacing. The color is a nice orange and looks nice. The taste is mellow with some very nice hoppiness that's not too bitter. The mouthfeel is very smooth and nice to the palate. Overall it's great and I would like to have more.

Erdinger2003, Jan 04, 2007
4.03/5  rDev -10.2%

Upon pouring, it looked good until a hunk of sediment fell out of the bottle. I don't mind all the floaties, but that was a little gross. Otherwise, it was a light copper color with a little off-white head. Upon smelling - PINE! Wow, hops in abundance, and a little floral. Hard to detect anything beyond the hoppy smell. Good, but that's it. Of course, the flavor was similar, with very little sweetness. A little oily and yeasty, and the finish lingered all day. In the mouth it was very pleasant - surprisingly smooth, and gently carbonated. Overall, this was a good brew, and I didn't notice the alcohol until I got a little loopy later. The hops definitely quashed the alcohol presence. Pretty good...

MDekker, Jan 04, 2007
4.58/5  rDev +2%

Acquired via trade from northertimber, so a big “Thank you” goes out to him.
Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color with a thin white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is an excellent blend of intense hops and extra sweet citrus, very pleasant smell.

T: A heavy hops burst starts out and is abruptly followed a sweet citrus malt flavor. Both of the flavors alternate for dominance as a mild alcohol burn washes over you. The after-taste has the hops bitterness winning out, but the citrus sweetness sticks around as well.

M: Very crisp and very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, clean finish.

D: Very tasty, goes down easy for a beer with 9.30% ABV, not too filling, it’s a little too intense to be a good pounder, I could still put a away few rather quickly and enjoy it quite a bit. I got exactly what I expected from this beer which was Two Hearted Ale with more hops and more alcohol. However, more doesn’t necessarily mean better. Two Hearted Ale is one of the best beers I’ve ever had and the extra hops and alcohol don’t make this beer better than Two Hearted Ale, just more hardcore. This is an excellent beer overall though.

TheManiacalOne, Jan 04, 2007
4.13/5  rDev -8%

12oz. Bottle
$14.99 6-pack
Big Red Bloomington

Hopslam is one of those beers you can smell from a couple feet away when it's opened. Pure fruitiness. Poured this into a snifter upon opening and got myself a semi-clear copper colored hop-bomb. Not much head to speak of and there's a huge amount of floating particles. I'm guessing proteins. This is my fourth bottle from this 6-pack and the first two I don't remember seeing this but the last one I did. I also remember better heads but this one just wasn't there. Maybe a little too cold? Big and little carbonation bubbles rising from random points throughout. The head there is does leave small drink history lines though. The particles and lack of head hurt the appearence of this beer.

The smell does make up for the lack of appearence. Starts with big juicy pineapple and grapefruit. I can just picture them squeezing the juice into each bottle. Maybe that's where the particles came from, pulp. Anyways, There is even a nice spattering of pine oil. The pine comes through after all the fruit juiciness. There's the smallest amount of malt and booze coming through but the hops knock it all back. One of the beers that will make your mouth water.

Big hop bitterness. Just the way I like things. The fruitiness in the flavor leans more toward the grapefruit side. Sweetened grapfruit but with the bittering effects of unsweetened. There is a caramel malt backbone that tames things down slightly but stays where it should, in the back. The pine needle hoppiness comes back a little on the finish but it's accompanied by a slightly astringent alcohol bite that dries things out. This is something else I don't remember from the first couple bottles but was more evident in the last. Not bad but does detract slightly from the flavor.

The mouthfeel is really well done on Hopslam. It's medium bodied and in no way viscous like many other IIPAs. The pure hoppiness gives a pleasant numbing effect on the tongue and lips. Leaves a decent coating as it slides through.

This is one to sit down and sip but the sipping could last quite awhile. tastes good with a nice body to sit and enjoy a couple at a time. Just watch out for the abv.

This is a quality made beer and another winner from Bell's. Like I said throughout the review the first couple bottles from the 6-pack were better in almost every aspect. I picked this up about two weeks ago and it's been in the fridge so aging shouldn't be it. I still really enjoy this but the first couple bottles were exceptional. I still think the price is solid for such a nicely made beer and that it was available in Illinois.

Slainte!

joe1510, Jan 04, 2007
4.18/5  rDev -6.9%

Into a pint glass, pours a deep gold, yellowed around the edges, carbonation floating around, a solid inch+ of fluffy, bubbly head, off white, with some great lacing, and lots of particulate matter floating around, probably the yeast. Mmmm, yeast.

Aroma is powerful, lots of fruity and floral hops here, piney leaf, some sweeter less citric fruits too, a very distinct mango in there. Pretty much, wwooowwww. Like, eyebrows fly off type wwooowwww.... Taste is pretty much same story. Hop hop hop hop hop. Hop. But not like "Hi, my name is Larry, and I'm a hop." More like, "We are the Army of Hopilantus, and we've come to blow you away!" Orange, grapefruit, pine, citrus, mango, oil, meanness, and even some swagger work their way across your tongue, and it likes it. At first, it slapped me across the face, cause I just wasn't ready for it. Now, I still think its a bit much, a little unbalanced, but hell, they were going for badass, and they got Sam L Jackson.

The mouth is just great, smooth, creamy, vibrant, carbonation, just right, long finish, bitterly bitterlo, bitterla. Yes. But its f'in pricy, understandably, and right high in alcohol, but lovely to drink. All in all, f yes, Bell's. Not the best DIPA in my book, but page two or three or so ain't so shabby.

objectivemonkey, Jan 03, 2007
Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.