1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.

(Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 8,780 | Reviews: 3,087 | Show All Ratings:
jonesy77

District of Columbia

Had a Hopslam on tap last night at Churchkey in Washington D.C. and am currently enjoying a bottle now, bought today at my local Whole Foods.

A: Very nice! The Hopslam has a nice golden color to it. On draft it appeared to be a bit more hazy than out of the bottle.

S: Strong citrus/grapefruit aromas. The draft version smelled a little bit more piney to me. I can definitely detect the presence of honey.

T: A true hopbomb, yet very smooth and balanced. Nice citrus and some tropical flavors. Draft was a little more "hoppy."

MF: A little bit resiny, nice levels of carbonation.

D: What else can I say, it is Hopslam...Never know it was 10% abv, I could definitely sit here and drink a few of them, yet I want to savor these. One of the smoothest DIPAs out there and I agree with previous reviewer that this is one of the best years I can remember.

Serving type: on tap and bottle

01-14-2010 02:00:23 | More by jonesy77
prg1976

Clear amber coloring.

Smell is phenomenal, like a freshly sliced grapefruit sitting in front of you.

Taste is citrus, not super-bitter, like I was expecting. Grapefruit, pineapple.

Doesn't feel like a 10% abv. Actually very light and crisp. Could drink this forever.

01-16-2010 02:39:44 | More by prg1976
BrewIndy

Indiana

This may be my first perfect rating. I'm not sure :)

Appearance: This is one beautiful beer! Crystal clear, orange coloring. Almost like the color of honey this beer is brewed with if it was clear. Has a small amount of head on toop and leaves some great lacing. If only all beers could look like this. A piece of art really.

Smell: Piney, and citrusy hops right up front. Perhaps it's because it says it on the bottle but I can also smell the honey leaving a pleasurable sticky feeling in the old nostrils.

Taste: Bam! This one is definitely hoppy! At least up front. The great thing about this though is it is very balanced. Someone that would say they don't normally like hoppy beers should at least pick up a single of Hopslam because it is great. The malt and honeys sweeten this beer up nicely leaving the finish to be more sticky sweet than bitter like you get with most hoppy beers. Of course with an ABV of 10% you'd expect it to be sweet. This beer is pretty complex too. Throughout the glass I got different tastes and flavors between being super bitter to being super sweet and everything in between.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and sticky! Up front this beer makes your mouth feel refreshed with the bitter hops cleaning (or stripping away) your palate and then it leaves you with the sticky sweet feeling.

Drinkability: Who cares about the 10% ABV?! I say the drinkability on Bell's Hopslam is way better than par. In other words, this is one you can sit and sip and enjoy all night long. At $18 for a six pack it might get a bit expensive but heck, You only get to do it once a year right?

01-31-2010 02:53:21 | More by BrewIndy
Duhast500

Rhode Island

My 325th review, I have wait some time to finally have a Hopslam.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a stemmed glass.

The color is a hazy orange with three fingers of white foamy head and some really nice lacing.

The smell is HOPPY, a great floral flavor is up fount and gives me visions of the first day of spring. A garden with the flowers blooming. Some nice citrus, juicy flavor in the background that makes me a bit thirsty.

The taste is serious hops, better than the smell, the taste of the hops on your tongue is bitter but well tooled to keep you interested for the next go round. Fruits come out to wash the tongue with the bitter hops and first this beer some amazing depth beyond it's namesake hops. Some apple, orange, and tease of banana comes out slightly within the hops and is wash into the storm of hops.

This feel of this beer is a pleasant medium body. It had some nice carbonation that gave this beer a bit of a zing. It is one of the best beers I have had and I really want to have this year round but I know my pleasure is only limited.

02-11-2010 06:19:03 | More by Duhast500
MarkFy

Poured from 12 oz. bottle

Look: golden yellow

Smell: Grapefruit, pine

Taste: WOW! A Hop bomb just doesn't get any better in my opinion. It's all in the balance of bitter and sweet. Punches you in the mouth with hop, grapefruit, and let's you down easy with a sweet bit of citrus and honey.

Mouthfeel: Strong at first, dryer in the end.

Drinkability: I normally space out the number I have in a night just since it is more scarce than most beers, but it tastes too good not to want one after another and another.

I enjoy it as much if not more than PtE, and think it deserves a place close to the Top.

02-26-2010 21:47:26 | More by MarkFy
melloashello

Tennessee

First time to try it today. Truly an exceptional beer!
Pours a nice orange and golden color with moderate head.
The aroma is a basket of citrusy fruits and sweet honey and handfuls of hops. It smells so damn delicious.
The beverage drinks smoothly, taste of fruit, pine, sweet honey, and hops...lots of em'
At 10% ABV, the alcohol is almost completely hidden. I could drink these all night and not be able to know I was drinking such a high gravity beer from just taste alone.
One of the best DIPA's out there. Get it if you can.
I had to travel a nice little distance to get it but it was well worth it!

03-07-2010 00:23:51 | More by melloashello
MrSnrub

This precious liquid is only available for a few glorious days in January. As soon as it hits the shelves I buy up as much as I can find/afford, but it's never enough. Larry Bell must be some kind of wizard: Hopslam's amazing balance of hops and honey seems the result of alchemy, and making 10% ABV disappear can only be described as magic. It doesn't get any better than this.

05-04-2010 21:10:06 | More by MrSnrub
vette2006c5r

Bells Hopslam poured an amber color, with a nice head that dispated rather quickly. It smelt and tasted of alot of hops, and a dash of honey. It waas extremly flavorfull, and full of flavor. Overall an absoultly fantastic beer. If you like hoppy beers, this will be a favorite.

07-07-2010 03:50:58 | More by vette2006c5r
knoxtennessee

Tennessee

I had a six pack and managed to keep one for four years in my basement. The difference between a fresh one and an aged one is more than daylight and dark. It was a differnt beer altogether. A- poured with a steady hand it is a medium copper and clear as a bell. S- too many aromas to list. Hops are still present but greatly diminished. Lots of wine and meadlike aromas. Tons of pear and appley esters, a little yeast, malt flavor has been replaced by fruit and honey. T- same as aroma. Lots of honey, pear, apple, a little citris, some tropical fruit, white wine, virtualy no malt, mineraly yeasty, old and vinios. M- thin and wll attenuated with a pleasent med-low carbonation. Tiny champaign bubbles. D- I'd drink it till I die. A beer ment to be consumed fresh that just happens to become liquid magic after a few years rest.

08-28-2010 19:25:46 | More by knoxtennessee
Bogforce

If you said to me "What is the perfect beer?" I would say HOPSLAM.

A: Very clear golden orange color with a nice looking head and some lacing.

S: Smells like you squeezed fresh pineapple juice into the beer, great aroma.

T: Gives such a good fresh hops taste with the hint of fruit and a great fruit aftertaste. Alcohol is hardly present.

D: I could drink these all night if I could afford it.

01-12-2011 01:21:17 | More by Bogforce
brew3crew

Batch 10093
Bottled January 3rd drank January 11th
Drank with UrbanCaver
A-Golden bronze in color with nice head and a lot of lacing. Simply beautiful.
S-Godliness
T-Strong hops but not too overpowering. nice amount of fruit balance. Simply amazing
M-Very well balanced, Sweet yet not too sweet with the right amount of hop kick
D-The most drinkable beer. Ever. 10%? There is no way. this goes down way to smooth and easy. One of a handful of beer that truly "Wow"ed me.

This is the best IIPA bar none. It sets the bar. If only they made it year round. Can't wait to have it on draft. I am buying a case and it is not nearly enough!

01-12-2011 05:09:20 | More by brew3crew
jmich24

8 Days new poured into a Duvel Tulip

A: One finger off white head. Color is a bright crystal clear golden honey with orange hues. Cap never goes away. Thick sticky lacing.
S: Tropical paradise. Orange, pineapple, floral, touch of sweet malt and honey. Juicy fruit gum comes to mind. Smell is amazing.
T: Very well balanced. Starts sweet and then turn tropical like the nose. Lots of sweet honey, citrus and pineapple. Nice lingering bitterness.
M: Smooth and creamy. Perfect carbination and nice lingering bitterness.
D: 10% ABV??? Holy #$*#... This is so drinable it is scary. If you didnt know any better you could easily finish a six pack and fall over dead drunk.

Outstanding beer lived up to the hype.

01-15-2011 01:45:38 | More by jmich24
thedoubler55

Bottle poured into a pint glass
Favorite IPA of all time for me!!!!

A- Beautiful cloudy amber color, with about a finger of head that keeps a nice lacing around the glass with every sip

S- Hints of grapefruits and citrus, very pleasant scent!

T- The taste is exceptional, some citrus in the beginning the honey takes away the bitterness and leaves you with a wonderful after taste!

M- Medium bodied slight carbonation! Great feel, with a bit of tingle on the palate!

D- Best beer ever! I love this Bell's brew will buy 2 six packs every year! Great great IPA!

01-21-2011 18:14:30 | More by thedoubler55
TheSarge

I had a hard time getting this beer for the last two days, thankfully I found some!

Pours perfectly with a two finger thick cranium, and has a nice golden and copper colored body that is cleanly filtered.

Aroma wise it's piny to the core. There could be a hint of honey, but I may be fooling myself since I see this is brewed with honey.

In the taste it's initially hoppy like biting into an orange and then suddenly dissipates. Then comes the honey and slight toffee hints, then the hops return to finish me off with a sharp and tart grapefruit kick.

A bit chewy but not over the top for such a high ABV beer. Warming in the middle to the end, so this makes for a great beer today due to STL being a frozen tundra today.

I love this beer and all the hype is true!

01-21-2011 23:28:16 | More by TheSarge
Sideswipe

Sent to me by the ever awesome beerbeerbeerbeer. Thanks Kevin! 12oz bottle poured into my Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

A down the center pour yields a two finger head of dense foam which recedes quickly leaving a white film across the top of the beer. Decent lacing. The beer is a wonderful, clear golden orange color. Looks great!

The aroma hits me as I'm pouring the beer into the glass. The smell of hops permeates my kitchen. Citrus predominates. Orange, grapefruit, and mango are all showcased. I can barely detect some buiscuity malt presence but this is all about the hops. This beer is a joy to sniff!

Taste follows the nose with huge notes of grapefruit, orange, mango, and pineapple. The signature sweetness of honey is present. Hoppy bitterness plays across my palate. There is enough malt to balance the beer nicely, but make no mistake, this is an exercise in hop appreciation. The finish is sweet and bitter at the same time with more citrus and a bit of pine manifesting itself. Excellent!

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with an perfect level of carbonation. The beer isn't sticky or cloying like some DIPAs. Really nice.

Drinkability is phenomenal for a beer of this caliber. 10% ABV? Really? There is no trace of alcohol present in this delicious concoction. It seems to fade into the harmony of bitter citrus, pine and honey sweetness.

I really like this beer. I traded for a case last year, and plan on trading for at least that much again this year, maybe more! Seek this out and experience hop nirvana!

01-22-2011 05:37:34 | More by Sideswipe
pkarlisc

this is my first review for BA so i figured I'd start with one of my favorites.

appearance: nothing extremely unique that would separate it from others within the style. looks damn good though.

smell: open a bottle and walk 5 feet away. you can still smell the beer. this is good thing.

taste: tropical fruit, mango, papaya, citrus, cream. all to the tenth power.

mouthfeel: carbonated skim-milk. not too thick but still very creamy. moderate carbonation provides essential texture.

drinkability: too drinkable. i feel the alcohol after the first sip but i keep drinking. this is a good thing.

i really cant say enough about this brew. i used to be a pretty big beer-nerd but other interests have proven to prevail and i've scaled back my obsession somewhat over the past years. that said, hopslam will always be a pedestal beer for me.

01-26-2011 21:39:00 | More by pkarlisc
joefuzz

Hopslam

P-5
S-5
T-5
M-5
D-5

Pours beautiful orange gold thin white head great lacing

Smells amazing hops and grapefruit up front with a slight alcohol afterburn

Taste is huge piney hops up front with a nice sugary citrus aftertaste

Mouthfeel is perfect not to heavy not to light just right level of carbonation

Dangerously high drinkability you quickly forget there is 10%abv in these

I have had this in the past but it was a little old, this is a beer to drink fresh. Thanks for the 6 pack Vince.

01-31-2011 00:45:27 | More by joefuzz
alexonate

All 5's my friends. I was fortunate enough to purchase 12 last year. Drank 6 stored the other 6. The grapefruit on the label threw me off when I first purchased it, but it complements the floral notes of the hops perfectly. The citrus couteracting the sweetness of the honey, balancing the hoppyness. I thought Pliny the Elder was great, but for me, this is in a different dimension.

02-02-2011 12:39:17 | More by alexonate
MadHopz

This is my first review. I found this site after buying a Dogfish Head 90-minute IPA and thinking I had quite possibly found the best beer ever made. I have not reviewed the DFH yet (that's next) but after spending hours reading the reviews here I set out to find Hopslam. Lucky for me that my discovery of IIPAs coincided with annual release of Hopslam. Doubly lucky for me apparently there aren't a lot of Beer Advocaters down here in Naples, FL as my local Total Wine had 5 sixes left on January 31st (my birthday). I bought them all without even trying it first.

Hopslam is a smooth, balanced, citrusey, hoppy perfection of a beer that might just be worth the ridiculous price. I'm not going to go into it's color, mouthfeel, drinkability, lacing etc. 2,000 people have already done that. What I will say is that, in my limited experience drinking IIPAs (I've had Racer X, Founder's Double Trouble, DFH 90, and Stone Ruination to date) this beer leaves all those in the dust. I figure it needs a few dozen more people to give it all 5s to make this one of the six A+ beers on this site. It certainly deserves that distinction.

02-05-2011 17:54:31 | More by MadHopz
Brunite

Preview: "The Bell's Brewery batch number you searched '10115' is a Bell's Hopslam Ale and was packaged on January 11th, 2011." The beer is a bit over 3 weeks old and was poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

Appearance: A gorgeous, clear, honey orange color with a nice off-white head. The foamy two inch head slowly collapses, etching the glass with permanent lace.

Smell: One word says it: Wow! This is the most amazingly and powerfully aromatic beer I have ever experienced. As soon as the bottle is opened, it starts. After it hits the glass....there is an aroma cloud that envelops a 2 ft area around the pour. The smell is incredible. Pineapple, mango, peach, honey, grapefruit, and pine. I could smell this all day.

Taste: The taste blows me away. A changing flavor profile throughout the experience is quite unique. The first taste is all pine and bitter. The next several sips highlight the honey and grapefruit. Then some malt. Each sip has flavors to savor. Flavors mellow and get more floral as it warms. Very complex.

Mouthfeel: Medium with a pleasant oily feeling left on the roof of the mouth from the hop resins.

Drinkability: Superb. You would never know this weighs in at 10% ABV. Each sip has me muttering things like "ahhhh", "amazing" and "incredible". Very few beers do that. Very few.

Overall: Despite all the hype....there is definitely a reason with this one. This has got to be my favorite beer...definitely in the top 2 no doubt. Bell's has done a great job here. If not for the ABV...I could drink these all day long. I was lucky enough to procure a case worth of these and will be spacing them out nicely over the next month or so. Even my wife (not a big beer fan) loved this one. Sadly, while I wish this was available year-round...at least there will be Bell's Two-Hearted Ale to fill in the gap. Get this beer if you have not tried it while it is still available.

02-06-2011 01:26:25 | More by Brunite
MaaikeMae

This beer gets better every year. Pay attention to this one. Beers speak louder than reviews.

Gorgeous colour, soft pillowy head that sticks. Aromas of, well, hops, but tropical fruit and honey as well. Tastes the same. Nice retention! The hoppiness really sticks around.

I'm a huge fan of the IPA's that don't have a huge malt profile, and this one tops them all. Excellent beer, and totally worth all of the hype.

02-08-2011 22:21:16 | More by MaaikeMae
TheDole

Georgia

I honestly dont think Ive had the privilege of enjoying a beer such as this since I lived in Brussels for a year and trekked out to Westvleteren Abbey to enjoy their beers on tap.
As far as a brew I can have in the states, this is it. Read other people's reviews if you want a detailed breakdown but this is truly a treat if you can find it.
YES it is expensive 16-20 a 6 pack. @ 10% alcohol and the malt to mask it, youll understand why.

02-24-2011 21:20:35 | More by TheDole
hophead5353

Hop slam is my personal fav beer. I wish Bell's would produce this beer year round! The color was golden honey. With a i finger head. taste wise this beer was a home run.. OR slam DUNK!! It has a nice hoppy flavor but was exceptionally balanced by citrus and honey flavor. My palate picked up on orange and grapefruit flavors. I can not say enough about this brew I was lucky to find 2 six packs here in florida this beer sells out in a day!

02-27-2011 00:54:16 | More by hophead5353
CampbellKe11

Absolutely loved this beer. One of my favorites. Nice color, had a great smell to it, taste was excellent, especially given the alcohol content. Very smooth with a clean finish. Picked up a very discrete honey flavor which helped the smoothness, as well as the citrus. Drinkability is dangerously good.

03-01-2011 16:37:01 | More by CampbellKe11
Hockeyfan1189

Indiana

It's my favorite beer in the world (after overtaking Two Hearted Ale after a few tries).

A - golden, pleasant to look at, very little head that dissipates quickly

S - slightly fruity with a smell of honey, it is pleasant to the senses - unlike some other "beers," Hopslam does not smell of alcohol despite its high ABV

T - Fruit to honey to hops, leaving you begging for more. The after-taste is great if you like hops or honey, but if you don't like either of those, then it's not for you.

M - Scintillating for the taste-buds, the spot-on mix of carbonation, alcohol, and honey is quite pleasant and most certainly doesn't turn your mouth.

D - Sails right down...two or three of these and you're easily done for the night, but because of the alcohol content and not drinkability issues.

03-03-2011 01:48:12 | More by Hockeyfan1189
Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.