Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 2,391
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,259 | Hads: 11,634

Since drinking this dbl IPA, I have been on a quest to find even more. Being in Michigan has helped but my sources are drying up. IMO - This beer is exactly what a double IPA should deliver from the initial aroma thru to the lingering finish.

Luckly, I found 2 cases at a local beer store this weekend. (5/10). That should hold me over for a while. (350 characters)

Pours a clear golden honey color with a single finger head that leaves lots of sticky lacing on the glass. Small carbonation bubbles up the sides of the glass. Looks delicious.

Smell is citrus hops, sweet malts and honey. Lemon zest, lime, and honey are very prevalent. Smells intoxicating, my mouth is watering.

Taste is the same as the smell, citrus hops, followed by sweet malt and lots of honey. Finish is bitter hops. This goes down very easy, the alcohol is very well hidden, don't even notice it. Extremely well balanced between hop profile and sweetness of malts and honey.

The mouthfeel is lively, the carbonation dances on your tongue. It allows the sweetness to come through, but prevents it from being to cloying. This beer drinks too smoothly for it's abv. It it's fantastic, one of the top beers I've had. Wonderful.

Overall, this is one of the best beers around. This is the beer that turned me on to hoppy beers and I love it. I wish they would make it year round. (984 characters)

Had my first Hopslam on tap at a BW3's in Troy, OH and fell in love. Have had a case purchased and delivered to me each year after since I can't get it easily in VA. Pours a beautiful orange/gold color with a bit of a haze and a nice fluffy head. Smells wonderful if you're a hop-head. The taste of this stuff really puts it on top of my list of favorites. Taste is super hoppy and citrusy and then the honey sweetness settles into the after-taste. But, remarkably smooth for a big beer. Mouthfeel has a nice cling and coat type feel on the inside of the mouth so the flavor lingers. Easily my favorite DIPA/Imperial IPA and quite possibly my favorite beer. (657 characters)

This has been hoppier in the past, but I'm going to let it slide this year. This is the only IPA that really delivers for me, aside from Palate Wrecker. If I could take this beer to bed, I'd divorce my sweet, MPDG wife and live happily ever after even if it means I don't get any more hand-knit orange socks. All jokes aside, (are they jokes, really?) this is pretty much my go-to, so it's a good thing my local beer spot has me on speed-dial and saved me 6 cases.
Fire is hot, ice is cold, Hopslam is IT. (506 characters)

I was apprehensive about this beer, namely because of its price, $14.99 for a sixer. I was rewarded, however when I cracked the cap open on my wall-mounted gem of a bottle opened. I got out a fine pint glass and began the pour.

I was cooking at the time, and I could STILL smell the hoppiness of the brew. FANTASTIC. Wonderfully balanced aroma, with hoppiness and maltiness. Once the brew settled, the head was a nice 3/4 white cap. I took in the smell by diving my nose right down the center of the glass and taking a gigantic whiff. Once again, fantastic. I couldn't wait to taste it.

The appearance is what you would expect from a double IPA, and was a rich amber gem.

This beer is aptly-named hopslam, because it assaults your taste buds with the produce of the gods... hops. Instantly, the amount of alcohol in the brew is evident, being a double ipa. The mouthfeel is extraordinary, and has an extremely well-balanced flavor. Hints of grapefruit are abound.

If you're an IPA fan, this is the brew for you, just not your wallet. This beer is extremely drinkable and I give it my highest rating for an IPA yet (1,126 characters)

Preview: "The Bell's Brewery batch number you searched '10115' is a Bell's Hopslam Ale and was packaged on January 11th, 2011." The beer is a bit over 3 weeks old and was poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

Appearance: A gorgeous, clear, honey orange color with a nice off-white head. The foamy two inch head slowly collapses, etching the glass with permanent lace.

Smell: One word says it: Wow! This is the most amazingly and powerfully aromatic beer I have ever experienced. As soon as the bottle is opened, it starts. After it hits the glass....there is an aroma cloud that envelops a 2 ft area around the pour. The smell is incredible. Pineapple, mango, peach, honey, grapefruit, and pine. I could smell this all day.

Taste: The taste blows me away. A changing flavor profile throughout the experience is quite unique. The first taste is all pine and bitter. The next several sips highlight the honey and grapefruit. Then some malt. Each sip has flavors to savor. Flavors mellow and get more floral as it warms. Very complex.

Mouthfeel: Medium with a pleasant oily feeling left on the roof of the mouth from the hop resins.

Drinkability: Superb. You would never know this weighs in at 10% ABV. Each sip has me muttering things like "ahhhh", "amazing" and "incredible". Very few beers do that. Very few.

Overall: Despite all the hype....there is definitely a reason with this one. This has got to be my favorite beer...definitely in the top 2 no doubt. Bell's has done a great job here. If not for the ABV...I could drink these all day long. I was lucky enough to procure a case worth of these and will be spacing them out nicely over the next month or so. Even my wife (not a big beer fan) loved this one. Sadly, while I wish this was available year-round...at least there will be Bell's Two-Hearted Ale to fill in the gap. Get this beer if you have not tried it while it is still available. (1,899 characters)

Poured from bottle into draft glass.

A- Burnt orange color body with a frothy two-finger off-white head.

S- Hop cones, pine, grapefruit, citrus, and tropical fruit notes come screaming to the top of the glass jockeying for position. A lot going on here. Immaculate.

T- Grapefruit, citrus (maybe some tangerine), pine, honey, and some sweet malt...bordering on too sweet. Leaves a strong bitterness on the finish to round out that sweetness, but not at all to the point that you can't handle it. If you are a hophead, you'll love this one.

M- It has a juicy feel to it. I'd call it medium-heavy. Its has the heavier feel of a DIPA but its not a big thick syrup bomb. Its done just right.

O- This beer gets a ton of hype and deservedly so. I've had yet to try Russian River's Pliny the Elder, but if its better than this it would have to be an out of body experience. Between this, the Two Hearted Ale, Best Brown, and Special Double Cream Stout...Bell's makes some killer beers and this one is the headliner. Shame that this is not a year-round serving. Im glad that I have another case of this waiting for me upon its arrival. (1,133 characters)

bottle poured into pint glass
A - small one finger white head, good retention, beautiful cloud amber, exactly what a beer should look like
S - deep citrus, orange, lemon grapefruit, wonderful, a nice little sweet bite on the end
T - wonderful orangey citrusy deliciousness, slightly sweet, like the nose
M - creamy and easy to drink
O - possibly best double ipa ever, i will edit this when i have some pliny's or hill farmstead (427 characters)

I would like to shoot a special thanks to bax72 for this bottle of HopSlam. It is readily available in Cincinnati but I had drank my last bottle and was craving some more. This beer was served in my Imperial Pint glass.

Appearance: The beer has a orange coloration. The carbonation actively boils away in the glass. The off white colored head is two fingers high. The head has perfect retention during the session. Thick pancake like layers of lacing remain behind on my glass.

Smell: This beer is a celebration of hops! The beer is loaded with pine resin, pineapple, a citrus explosion of grapefruit, oranges, tangerines, peaches and apricot. The beer smells positively juicy. A complementing sweetness underlies the smell.

Taste: This beer may have one of the best hop attacks I have ever experienced. The hops come at me in layers. The beer is starts out with a oily pine resin. The beer then eases into a complex weave of fruit juicyness pineapple, grapefruit, peaches, apricot, tangerines. The beer then transitions to a herbal grassyness. The beer has a good malty backbone in the background. This is a hop driven beer but in no way unbalanced.

Mouthfeel: The beer is medium bodied. The active carbonation breaks it up a bit. The beer manages to have a creamy mouthfeel. This beer is very alcoholic but incorporates the alcohol well. The beer is easy to drink. I am hoping this one will be a yearly treat from Bell's. If you like strong hoppy beers this one is for you. At $15 a sixer its a bit pricey but man is it good! (1,540 characters)

Bottle poured into a pint glass
Favorite IPA of all time for me!!!!

A- Beautiful cloudy amber color, with about a finger of head that keeps a nice lacing around the glass with every sip

S- Hints of grapefruits and citrus, very pleasant scent!

T- The taste is exceptional, some citrus in the beginning the honey takes away the bitterness and leaves you with a wonderful after taste!

M- Medium bodied slight carbonation! Great feel, with a bit of tingle on the palate!

D- Best beer ever! I love this Bell's brew will buy 2 six packs every year! Great great IPA! (564 characters)

Perfect beer to me, one of only two IMHO. 1/4 bbl Slim kegged on 1/27/2012, tapped today 1/28/2013 at my house - cannot get much fresher than that. Beautiful nose, pine forest and grapefruit rinds. Significant carbonation pops the scent of hops into the room, but settles quick clinging to the glass. Complicated mouthfeel, I know it is really bitter, I can feel it at the back of my tongue near the throat where it says grapefruit/lemon but the rest of my mouth says sweet honey and more subtle fruits like peach or that weird fruit pomelo. The final taste is bitter, but not particularly dry (because I am salivating for the next sip?). This is 10%ABV? Hides it very very well under that soft bitter bubbly.

yeah, a perfect 5, this is what it takes to get one of those from my tastebuds and my nose, and any brewery that makes complicated IPA's like this gets my upvotes and money! (884 characters)

Clear amber coloring.

Smell is phenomenal, like a freshly sliced grapefruit sitting in front of you.

Taste is citrus, not super-bitter, like I was expecting. Grapefruit, pineapple.

Doesn't feel like a 10% abv. Actually very light and crisp. Could drink this forever. (270 characters)

A peachy grapefruit flower punch to your traditional understanding of an IIPA. Definitely more of a citrus taste than last year. One of the best beers I have every had. For $16 a six pack, it better be. I wish there was a way to store and cellar this beer so that it could last until next year's release. (304 characters)

My 325th review, I have wait some time to finally have a Hopslam.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a stemmed glass.

The color is a hazy orange with three fingers of white foamy head and some really nice lacing.

The smell is HOPPY, a great floral flavor is up fount and gives me visions of the first day of spring. A garden with the flowers blooming. Some nice citrus, juicy flavor in the background that makes me a bit thirsty.

The taste is serious hops, better than the smell, the taste of the hops on your tongue is bitter but well tooled to keep you interested for the next go round. Fruits come out to wash the tongue with the bitter hops and first this beer some amazing depth beyond it's namesake hops. Some apple, orange, and tease of banana comes out slightly within the hops and is wash into the storm of hops.

This feel of this beer is a pleasant medium body. It had some nice carbonation that gave this beer a bit of a zing. It is one of the best beers I have had and I really want to have this year round but I know my pleasure is only limited. (1,060 characters)

After trying soooo many beers on the best of BA list and being disappointed time after time by the hype, FINALLY there's a beer that blows my mind.

A: Pours a beautiful amber color with a 2 or 3 fingers of head.

S: Jesus. I don't know if it's the honey or what but this beer's smell is indescribable. It's similar to the smell of Nugget Nectar, only more intense and a bit sweeter.

T: "Tastes just like it smells....DELICIOUS" - Dave Chappelle. Unbelievable blend of hoppiness and sweetness, with almost no alcohol burn at all. As close to beer perfection as I've ever tasted.

M: Just the right amount of body. It's not so thin that you're wondering if you're drinking dasani with food coloring in it, but it's not so thick that you feel like you just liquified a turkey.

D: 10 percent?? Are you kidding? It drinks like a session beer, and as such is quite dangerous.

Overall, the best beer I've ever had period. I'm a mid atlantic guy, so my craft beer foray began with Troegs. Nugget Nectar was my mecca, and this just expands on everything that was.

Well done. (1,072 characters)

A: beautiful, golden color
S: smells like honey and sweetness
T: explosion of flavors in your mouth! Very hoppy, but also has an acceptable amount of sweet taste that balances well with the bitterness. The after taste of this beer just leaves me wanting to drink more of it.

This is truly a world class beer. It's also very expensive and usually costs around $16-$20 for a 6 pack! However, at 10.5% abv, you get what you pay for in alcohol content and exquisite taste.

If I were stranded on an island and only had one beer I could take with me (along with food, of course ;)), this would be it. Well done, Bell's. Of course it would have to be on tap because this stuff is LEGIT coming from a keg. Bottles are good too, but this beer really shines on tap. (759 characters)

This is the only Beer I've given a rating of straight 5's.

Hopslam this year is one of the most refreshing beers I've ever tasted. The drinkability is almost scary. It tastes like a fresh mix of citrus juice that I could personally drink all day until I succumb to alcohol poisoning. And personally I was not a big fan of Bell's at all before I tried Hopslam. Already had it on draft and out of the bottle, and out of the bottle there is much more of a citrus taste, and I can not taste any alcohol in it at all. It has a gorgeous golden blonde color with a thin white head that disappears quickly. There is a ton of citrus smell to this, the smell of hops and citrus almost fill the room when you open this beer. It is simply delicious. (739 characters)

Absolutely loved this beer. One of my favorites. Nice color, had a great smell to it, taste was excellent, especially given the alcohol content. Very smooth with a clean finish. Picked up a very discrete honey flavor which helped the smoothness, as well as the citrus. Drinkability is dangerously good. (302 characters)

A: A beautiful light copper color with a quickly diminishing head.

S: Piney, citrusy, and hoppy mmm.

T: Just like it smells. Absolutely marvelous! Mostly Pine with a little citrus and a slight malt backbone.

M: Oily and sticky with a nice medium body.

D: I know the ABV will catch up to me eventually but I'm drinking the shit out of this until it does! About as close to Pliny as us Eastern guys will get. A pure masterpiece! (430 characters)

Sent to me by the ever awesome beerbeerbeerbeer. Thanks Kevin! 12oz bottle poured into my Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

A down the center pour yields a two finger head of dense foam which recedes quickly leaving a white film across the top of the beer. Decent lacing. The beer is a wonderful, clear golden orange color. Looks great!

The aroma hits me as I'm pouring the beer into the glass. The smell of hops permeates my kitchen. Citrus predominates. Orange, grapefruit, and mango are all showcased. I can barely detect some buiscuity malt presence but this is all about the hops. This beer is a joy to sniff!

Taste follows the nose with huge notes of grapefruit, orange, mango, and pineapple. The signature sweetness of honey is present. Hoppy bitterness plays across my palate. There is enough malt to balance the beer nicely, but make no mistake, this is an exercise in hop appreciation. The finish is sweet and bitter at the same time with more citrus and a bit of pine manifesting itself. Excellent!

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with an perfect level of carbonation. The beer isn't sticky or cloying like some DIPAs. Really nice.

Drinkability is phenomenal for a beer of this caliber. 10% ABV? Really? There is no trace of alcohol present in this delicious concoction. It seems to fade into the harmony of bitter citrus, pine and honey sweetness.

I really like this beer. I traded for a case last year, and plan on trading for at least that much again this year, maybe more! Seek this out and experience hop nirvana! (1,530 characters)

EVERY YEAR I LOOK FORWORD TO THIS BEER. ANY TIME ONE BOTTLE HAS THE SAME AMOUNT OF HOPS THAT SIX CASES OF BUD DOES THAT IS A GOOD BEER. THIS YEARS HAS A SOFT PINE AROMA WITH A HINT OF HONEY. THE TASTE HAS A RICH GRAPEFRUIT AND ACIDIC FLAVOR. IT HAS A HAZY APPERANCE IN THE GLASS, BUT THE TASTE IS SMOOTH. (304 characters)

This beer gets better every year. Pay attention to this one. Beers speak louder than reviews.

Gorgeous colour, soft pillowy head that sticks. Aromas of, well, hops, but tropical fruit and honey as well. Tastes the same. Nice retention! The hoppiness really sticks around.

I'm a huge fan of the IPA's that don't have a huge malt profile, and this one tops them all. Excellent beer, and totally worth all of the hype. (417 characters)

Date Drunk: 1/15/11

Pours like a light lager, with a yellow-orange tint with frothy head. The smell is mouth watering of candy hops and pink grapefruit. The first sip made me fall back into my chair. It's liquid sugared grapefruit with a slight dry hop at the end, it is brewed with honey, hence the sweetness. To make this beer even better, you can keep drinking and drinking because the 10% is not even present.

The tap version is a perfect beer. (450 characters)

First time to try it today. Truly an exceptional beer!
Pours a nice orange and golden color with moderate head.
The aroma is a basket of citrusy fruits and sweet honey and handfuls of hops. It smells so damn delicious.
The beverage drinks smoothly, taste of fruit, pine, sweet honey, and hops...lots of em'
At 10% ABV, the alcohol is almost completely hidden. I could drink these all night and not be able to know I was drinking such a high gravity beer from just taste alone.
One of the best DIPA's out there. Get it if you can.
I had to travel a nice little distance to get it but it was well worth it! (606 characters)

Absolutely amazing beer! Can't say enough. Now I know why every time I walk into a bar they make it a point to tell me they have Hopslam in bottles. Heard it went out in Kickbacks Gastropub in less than a day! On the top of my favorites list right behind Sweetwater IPA! (270 characters)

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.