Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 2,463
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,268 | Hads: 11,718

Bottled: 01/16/13. Drank 04/14/13

Golden orange colored beer. Nice white head. So-so retention, great lacing.

Aroma is nice, but not as hoppy as I imagine a fresher bottle would be. More to the malty side. Sweet, kinda hoppy aroma.

Same with the flavor. The beer is plenty bitter, but not as much hoppy flavor as I'm assuming a fresher bottle would have.

Medium bodied. Carbonation feels harsh when coupled with the bitterness. Dry, everlasting finish.

After looking for a while, I finally found a liquor store with a few bottles of this beer left in stock, so I bought one. This bottle is nearly three months old, I'm sure the hoppy flavor and aroma I was looking for was much more prominent two months ago. There's always next year.

4.13/5  rDev -7.2%

This is a beauty! Many thanks to tat2dhllblly for this!

Hazy golden orange on the pour, which produces a frothy off-white two finger head that has great retention and nice spongy lacing.

Smell is lots of pine, with equal parts citrus (mostly tangy orange). There is definitely an earthy sweet note from the honey which adds nicely to the malt backbone balance.

Lots of tangy, sweet oranges on the taste. That honey compliments the citrus semi-sweet tang very nicely. The finish is a spicy, bitter hop note.

The feel is creamy, medium in body, with a nice crispness to it. Definitely goes down easy, and has a nice coating quality.

Drinkability is great. This is a big ABV brew, but I couldn't notice it at all.

Great DIPA. Since this gem was en route to me before new years, I have to assume it is last years batch. Still, it was very complex and the hop profile appears to be holding strong. I will be seeking out a freshy asap!

4.13/5  rDev -7.2%

Batch #10,115 was bottled on 1/11/2011, meaning this six-pack is 9 days old. Pretty fresh, I must say... really excited about this guy. Let's see if it lives up to the hype. Bottle poured into my Stone shaker-pint glass.

A: Pours a hazy moderate-orange golden color with a frothy 1-finger head on top of it.

S: Wow. I could smell this guy before I even tipped the bottle up to pour it into my glass. Huge smell of grapefruit, pine, and maybe a hint of a mango citrus going on as well. Just an amazing smelling beer.

T: Hop-heads rejoice. Grapefruit and citrus hops rush in at the start of this, and are quickly met by some dank bitterness in the middle. This gives way to a sweetened malt backbone which shows up at the end to say goodbye as this washes away. I'll be honest, I'm surprised by just how present that malt-sweetness is on the finish. I've had limited experiences with this brew in other releases, and I don't remember picking up on a such a malt sweetness on the back end.

The 10% ABV is completely hidden here.

M: Carbonation levels in this beer seemed perfectly tingly and delightful. This beer finishes with a big dry-hop presence and malt sweetness, leaving your mouth dry and wanting more.

D: This is an excellent brew. I love the hop presence here. The only knock I have is that the malt-sweetness on the finish is more pronounced than I'd like. Overall, a very good brew from Bell's.

applejuice in color...no head

lemon, hops and honey on the nose....a bit o magnolia too

mouthed...easy..hop forward but not overbearing...grapefruit...white grape juice..
an all day drinker...

doesn't taste like a "bruiser of an ale" as the bottle claims....could be my lupulin threshold shift...

4.13/5  rDev -7.2%

Appearance: This brew pours beautifully. A medium amber color with a tanish-almost-light-green foamy head. The hue is a little different, but it evokes the feeling that hops are literally force infused into this brew. Lacings are plentiful. Very interesting! I'm impressed.

Smell: Yep. Hops exude from this selection. The aroma fills the nose and is very pleasant. To a non-hop lover this may be oppressive, but to an experienced beer lover, this is truely perfume. Ahhh...wonderful!

Taste: This selection is definitely a hop heavy brew. The honey provenance of this brew is very mellow and compliments the thin malt flavor. Hops however are the namesake of this type of brew, and this particular selection meets and exceeds all expectations. This is an excellent brew for pure hops lovers. The hops used are very high alpha content selections. This appears to contain American hops. I was not able to detect English or European presence in any of the flavor components.

Mouthfeel: The bitterness of the hops immediately jumps out. I was impressed with the clean snap of flavor onset. There is a little lingering that leaves the palate a little crouded, but that would be expected from an Imperial IPA. This selection would not be acceptable to a novice drinker.

Drinkability: The flavor curve on this brew is huge. The bitterness lingers but is not really an aftertaste in character. I zoomed through this 6-pack, so I guess the drinkability is high for an experienced drinker. However....this is NOT not novice drinkers. An experienced drinker, sitting by the pool on a hot August afternoon will love this!!!! GET THIS SELECTION IF YOU SEE IT!!!!

4.13/5  rDev -7.2%

Thanks to generous traders CruisaC and RobWestcott, both of whom sent me a bottle of this! Fortunately, I was able to give one to itsfreeasinbeer for his birthday, so thanks guys!

A - Maybe it's because I know there's honey in this, but all I see is honey. It pours with a fairly meager head, but no points deducted for that. Gorgeous beer.

S - Fruity smelling. Mainly grapefruit and some other citrus. A bit of pine and honey comes through. I can tell it's gonna be an interesting brew, and I can smell the alcohol a bit.

T - Man, this is an intriguing beer. The honey sweetness comes out, but is balanced by the bitterness of the hops, which is balanced (not entirely, but mostly) by the malts. Cool, cool brew.

M - The perfect amount of syrupy to make the flavor last long enough. The malt backbone almost takes away the bitter kick at the finish, but it's just slightly lacking. The carbonation is spot on.

D - Awesome beer, but the drinkability is just good. At 10% ABV, it's an aggressive beer, but the flavor is one that I would like to be able to have a few of without getting smashed.

4.13/5  rDev -7.2%

Recieved this from brandoman63 in the brews-n-tunes summer '07 tour. Served slightly chilled in a snifter, from a twelve ounce bottle. Poured a beautiful golden amber color, that was a bit cloudy. About a quarter inch of loose, bubbly white head formed in the glass. Head almost instantly faded into a ring of bright white lace in the glass. Smell: Smooth , somewhat aggressive herbal hop aroma, tons of biscuity malt aroma, pears, citrus fruits, and pine all rose from the glass. Taste: Bitter hops that slam the tongue, bready and malty , subtle pineapple and pear. Also some very well hidden alcohol. A pretty well balanced brew. Nice full bodied, somewhat thick but smooth mouthfeel. Mildly carbonated. A very drinkable beer. Very enjoyable.

4.13/5  rDev -7.2%

Thanks to bditty187 for this bottle.

Pours a hazy bright orange with a fluffy two finger head that fades slowly to a thick cap. tha lacing is very sticky, as you would expect from a very hoppy beer.

Smell; initially this is on the floral side, but then a ton of citric aromas come wafting out of the glass, with grapefruit, oranges and lemons. I can also can detect a nice sweet malty backbone, that should help offset those hops.

Taste; as with the smell this starts out floral on the first couple of sips. Then the citrus dominates with the oranges, grapefruits and just a touch of lemon thrown in. The malts are definitely there, and provide a sweet undercurrent to the hops. On the finish I can feel the alcohol a bit in my nose, and a bit in my throat, but it never becomes distracting.

Mouthfeel is a touch on the full side, and the drinkability on this is just great. I could drink a few of these without feeling completely pummeled by the hops, but I think the alcohol would definitely knock me out.

4.13/5  rDev -7.2%

Served to me on tap. Incidentally, I find that it perfectly complements my rather spicy Sichuan take out. (I'm lucky enough to have a local bar that allows outside food to be brought in)

A. Slightly toasted straw color. Very impressive head that leaves behind one of the most intricate and beautiful lacing patterns I have ever seen in a tap beer.

S. Orange peel, grapefruit peel, some mango and pine aromas, but not quite as much mango and pine as Dreadnaught on tap. I don't smell any honey, but I do definitely smell the booziness of the 10% ABV. That part, I could do without. Everything else, however, is spot on for my tastes.

T. One of the great things I love about IPAs is taking a mouthful of super spicy food, feeling the burn, and taking a swallow of those hops to wash it down. The fun thing about this trick I have found is that it AMPLIFIES both the sensation of the chile burn and the resinous nature of the hops. But the beer, the beer does indeed have honey character in the taste which I was missing in the nose. Its just that, for me, it doesn't show up until the finish. In the start it is a bitter resinous punch which dissolves into that honeyed sweetness so rapidly that the contrast is quite enjoyable. Lovely

M. Now I have a slight problem, this is too heavy and thick on the tongue. Oh well, you can't have everything.

4.13/5  rDev -7.2%

Poured from a bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A-Dark golden orange, when held up to the light, flakes of amber and yellow are visible, a huge white head from an aggressive pour stayed for a while and left excellent lacing, this is a great looking beer.

S-Citrus and hops, a bit of sweetness in the nose

T-Similar to the nose but with significantly more details, the citrus (orange and grapefruit, with possible lemon hints) and the hops take the forefront but there's a sweetness that is unlike a fruit based sweetness, honey like in taste.

M-Crisp, clean, full bodied with great carbonation

D-I had to check the back of the bottle again and make sure this was really 10%, dangerously drinkable, with a great flavor, drink at your own risk.

4.13/5  rDev -7.2%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass..Pours a nice coppery hue. Aroma is overwhelmingly pleasant, with some citrus, piney, and earthy notes pleasant. I'm guessing several types of hops were used here, with a surplus being put on the aromatic hops. The flavor is extremely balanced well. The hop flavor profile seems to lean on the citric side, and it isn't nearly as imposing as I anticipated, which is not a bad thing here. I wouldn't guess this was any where near 10%. The malt profile really comes through well, and I the taste of honey works rather nicely. All in all, definitely on my top 5 IPA's because of its balance.

2010 vintage

A - pours a nice faint amber color with a 2 finger head

S - smells predominately of pineapple, some tart apples, grapefruit, caramel malt, and honey

T - There is a reason the label claims this is a tongue bruiser. Very sweet caramel and pineapple on the front of the tongue. As it goes down, there is a load of sweet honey and caramel malt, blended with a ton of grapefruit hop. Ends with a honey and pine bitterness, albeit the sweet caramel and pineapple/citrus combo is still heavy on the palette. Exhale leaves pine. Overall very sweet - I agree with the tongue bruiser statement.

M - a little watery with a decent body - not bad.

D - I always look forward to this release. Maybe its the hype, but it is fun to see every year. Great DIPA from a great brewery. Excellent stuff Bell's...can't wait for next year!

4.13/5  rDev -7.2%

thanks to Chi81 for this extra. batch 10093, which was brewed in January 2011, so definitely past its freshness, but I heard this might still be tasty. poured into my stone snifter

a - concentrated urine yellow with a finger head that retains and leaves some nice sticky lacing

s - definitely get the honey in there, and grapefruit, apple, and even some brown sugar. the hops are definitely past their freshness, so the hop aroma is mellow

t - definitely honey mixed with plenty of hops. i'm surprised at how well the hops stuck around, probably due to their extensive dry-hopping on this one. not overly bitter, but the honey does mellow it out and provide great balance

m - medium to full bodied, still good carbonation on this one

o - for almost a year-old hop bomb, this held its ground nicely. curious if this is a shadow of its former self or what. will definitely have to seek this out fresh, but even 10 months old this is delicious.

4.13/5  rDev -7.2%

Thanks to jmkratt for the generous gift that is this bottle and for the trader that recently sent it to him.

a: Poured a 12 oz bottle with #10115 code in to a tulip. A slightly translucent copper color with 1-2 fingers of bright white lacy head.

s: Intense hops with grapefruit, kiwi and fresh picked oranges.

t: BAM! Bitter hops to the face, "too the face!" Slightly sweet under tones of citrus fruits, specifically grapefruit. Huge citrus hop flavor with a touch of maltyness. The finish is smooth, gradual and nothing like the handshake.

m: Slippery and viscous. The right amount of carbonation to pair with the blast of hops. It's not a beer that coats the mouth in resins.

d: I find this beer to be a drinkable beer but probably with a limit of two. You definitely know you are drinking a DIPA but it's satisfying and somewhat refreshing.

4.13/5  rDev -7.2%

Smooth pour nets a one finger head of tight white bubbles. Amber in color with great clarity and lacing that renews with each turn of the glass. Head retention was minimal, I could have been more vigorous with the pour.

Copious amounts of bready malt and honey match the bright pine and grapefruit pith hops. RIsing amounts of stone fruit and guava add a touch of tropical complexity. Alcohol rises from the glass as well, preparing you for the slam.

Thick malt base is bready with toffee and honey soaked sweetness. Pine and dark citrus creeps out of the malt shadow evolving to a more floral quality late in the drink. Alcohol provides more of a body slam than bitterness. Finishes with a sweet honey malt with tingling pine.

Average DIPA body with appropriate carbonation. Does a good job of drying despite the quantity and sweetness of the malt. Alcohol is very present but at least the bitterness is not overdone.

Beer geek legend, glad I got to finally try this one. The craft movement really has done a number on what is needed to make a beer shine out from the pack. Hopslam is a well integrated hop, booze and malt bomb with limited outstanding qualities. This is a classic and despite craft evolution it will continue to impress through reputation and respect.

4.13/5  rDev -7.2%

Poured from a bottle into my Jackie O's tulip...

Bottle dated 12.29.2011...

A: Pours a clear golden orange color with just a tinge of copper, like a summer sunset. A beautiful two finger eggshell white head erupts from a conservative pour and slowly recedes to a one finger head. The lacing positively blankets the glass, a super thick sheen that refuses to fall down. The thickness and uniformity of the head is astounding. If there are better looking IPAs out there, I have yet to see them. Out-freakin-standing.

S: Really nice. Crushed pineapple explodes off the nose, along with a good amount of honey and candied citrus. An absolute citrus bomb here. Very little in the way of bitterness, maybe just the slightest hint of pine resin. Very very good, but perhaps just a bit too smooth for its own good. In need of some malt and bitterness to take some of the edge off.

T: Man this is really sweet, and by that I mean sticky and saccharine. A lot of sweet creamy pineapple, candied citrus, and some pine resin. But much of it is overwhelmed by cloying honey. It really mellows out what could be a hop bomb. The booze is noticeable, but not offensive. The flavors are a little bit muddled, and somewhat of a letdown from the nose. The sweetness is slightly overdone.

M: Too syrupy and too cloying. Lacking a nice crisp bite. Flavors are decently balanced, carbonation may be a bit lackluster.

O: Well it is one of the best looking and smelling IPAs around. But the taste is overly sweet and the mouthfeel overly sticky. I know it's an Imperial IPA, but I'd rather they let those hops shine than covering them up with honey. Reminds me of drinking soda fountain extract...too over the top. A unique beer and certainly tasty, but I wouldn't and don't feel the need to revisit this one over and over. I bought one bottle and I feel like that will be enough this year.

4.13/5  rDev -7.2%

Took a little road trip to get as its not delivered to NJ. Was glad I got some but was not blown away. Very good but not amazing. Tasty and easy to drink but a step down from some other IPA's IMO. Would drink it again if I come accross it but will not seek it out.

Appearance 4.5/5
Deep tangerine-gold colored, Hopslam poured with a moderately sized off white creamy head that eventually receded into a smaller but persistent bubbly one, and left little lacing. The beer was a little hazy but got clearer as it warmed up. A good looking beer that would look even better in a narrower glass, but nothing lets you enjoy the aroma like a big snifter!

Aroma 4/5
Hopslam smells of balance and complexity: The elder brother of Two Hearted, it is strikingly similar in its mango notes, but is clearly sweeter and deeper, and different. To me, this ale is very good, but nothing as spectacular in its hop aroma as it is generally regarded. However, considered independent of style, this ale can compete with any other when it comes to aroma. The strong tropical fruit and tangerine notes combined with the strong and rich sweet notes lend the impression of fruit itself! It is readily seen that even though Hopslam is a Double IPA, it is cellar worthy. A wee bit of alcohol is noted when the beer gets warm. Soft, fruity, sweet and complex, Hopslam is an excellent smelling ale.

Taste 4/5
Very very fruity with the tangy sweetness of tangerines and the bitterness of citrus. A mouth coating, viscous, overwhelming taste experience that engulfs you and leaves with a sweet bitterness; however, a little too sweet. Yes, Hopslam tastes a lot like honey but that is not the most desirable quality in a DIPA, in my very humble opinion. Hopslam is hoppy and bitter but with a deep malt character. It seems stuck between being a DIPA and barleywine. That said, it's very good!

Mouthfeel 4/5
Silky and decent bodied, and well carbonated, Hopslam feels like THE DIPA except for the overly sweet finish.

Drinkability 4.5/5
All things considered, it is damn smooth for a 10% ABV beer! I only wish it were more aggressive and ass kicking!

4.12/5  rDev -7.4%

Batch 8907, which according to their site was packaged 1/6/09. So still nice and fresh!

A - Poured into pint glass. Pours a hazy honey color with two fingers of foamy off-white head.

S - Smells like a big fat peach to me. I'm rather sure this wasn't the intention but it's a delicious smell. Not noticing much hoppiness in the nose.

T - Not as hop-dominated as I expected, there's quite a bit going on and it has a surprising amount of balance. The honeyed hops are quite unique, unlike anything else I've had. The progression in the mouth as you stop to taste it seems to be sweet citrus, then dry bitter hops then an alcohol burning. The balance shifts towards sweetness at about 50F, and then tilts back towards hops closer to room temp.

M - Has a nice fizzy carbonation, one of the first things I noticed on tasting. Aftertaste is hops and booze; what were you expecting? Not too heavy for what it is, it goes down quite smooth.

D/O - This beer seems to be at it's most drinkable slightly below room temperature. It's a DIPA, if you're tossing down a sixer in one sitting something's gone terribly wrong. Hop heads are understandably thrilled with the beer, and craft lovers should at least be able to respect it. It's well enough off the beaten path, and in a good way, that it's worth searching out.

4.12/5  rDev -7.4%

I got this bottle from a trade with Schustar. Thanks man for sending this delight to me.

A - A hazy amber colored beer, or is it gold? There are some nice carbonation bubbles racing to the top. The head isn't really strong and dissolves fast. The laing against the glass is beautiful.

S - A whole tropical forest went in here! Mango, Pineapple and god knows what tropical fruits else is in here. O, and fresh cut grass.

T - A good pine taste upfront, light sweet and a tiny touch of honey.

M - The body is a bit to thin for this style. The medium carbonation is excellent for this beer as is the bitterness in the end.

O - A nice delightful Imperial IPA.

4.12/5  rDev -7.4%

On-tap at the Blue Nile. Served in a 12 oz goblet.

106 IBUs? Where? Don't get me wrong, there were some amazing aspects to this beer, but bitter it wasn't. This beer was very reminiscent of grapefruit juice. There was some good complexity in the hops flavor, but it was overly juicy to the point of getting away from beer. This made for an amazing aroma, but the taste couldn't quite deliver all the way.

Although the taste didn't exactly do it for me, I was impressed by how drinkable the 9.3% was. The bitterness, or lack of, kind of let me down, but this was still a pretty good DIPA. Worth a try at the least.

4.12/5  rDev -7.4%

12 oz. bottle poured into an Alchemist pint glass. Bottled on 1/26/2012. Just picked it up today.

Appearance - Orange amber body. Quite clear. Not much of a head, but it sticks nicely to the glass and leaves some wisps on the surface.

Smell - Wow, it's got a great hop aroma. Up there with the best of em. Citrusy from a distance (literally, from a few feet away), but it's got a dose of pine as I smell it more. Great aroma. Some sweetness comes through, but it's still all about the hops.

Taste - The hop flavor delivers in the front. It's a huge wave of hops that recedes as dramatically as it hits. The citrus gives way to pine, much in the way of the aroma, which gives way to a hefty malt and honey sweetness. Not cloying and not even all that sweet, but it's amazing how much the hops disappear. It still tastes pretty damn good, but not like the best IPAs out there. The finish is boozy and slightly bitter.

Mouthfeel - After the hops drop off, the booze is pretty evident. There's an astringency presumably from the fermented honey. It's not really bitter, either, but still the bitterness is one of the only flavors that lingers.

Overall - I used to think this beer was the bee's knees of IPAs, but having had far more interesting hop profile IPAs, this one hasn't quite risen to its lofty heights as of late. Definitely not one of those "It was better last year" people, but I feel my appreciation for it has changed.

4.12/5  rDev -7.4%

Got this at IP trade, but the bottled on date is December 2011. I've decided to post my initial reactions and then revisit this review when I'm able to get this fresh. (Because it was old, but still pretty damn great)

The pour produces a nice orangey beer that isn't fully opaque, but not translucent either. Nice foamy white head that leaves some sticky lacing.

The smell of this beer is mouthwatering. The citrus dominates, but there is a sweet malt aroma that keeps this in check.

Obviously the hops were the first thing that I tasted, but I didn't get that solid kick I expected, and I feel that the age of the beer affected the quality. The pine and citrus flavors were there, but there seemed to be too much sweetness for what I expected this to be, and how others reviews have pointed out.

Beware of the ABV, because all the people I had try this one we're shocked at the mellow flavor and no presence of alcohol on the tongue.

I was also surprised at how low key the bitterness level is. Quite amazing as I expected an almost tannin-like bitterness to dry my tongue.

I read all about how hardly anything can beat fresh Hopslam, and I have reason to believe those people are on to something. I just wish I could get some Hopslam that is fresh.

*** Batch 9470 (packaged December 23, 2009)***

Huge thanks to jzeilinger for giving me this brew for nothing but a picture! Shared last night with my wife.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle.

Appearance: Bright orange body, slightly hazy with a thick and fluffy head that won't let up. The lacing left behind on the glass is thick and gorgeous.

Smell: Tangerine, melon, pine and juicy hops. Very fresh smelling. Smells delicious.

Taste: Tastes like it smells. More melon than citrus with a touch of sweetness. The piney hops are felt more in the finish and aftertaste. I was expecting a more aggressive hops presence but found it to be quite reserved. The main flavor is the fresh and ripe fruit.

Mouthfeel: Incredibly well-balanced and very smooth. Palate pleasing for sure.

Drinkabilty: This is 10%? No heat whatsoever in the taste. Drinks remarkably well and could have easily had the whole bottle to myself :)

Overall: I must admit to being a little let down as i had it pegged as more of a hop monster (the name kind of leads you along that way) but it is a very tasty DIPA and worth seeking out. This is one to get fresh for sure.

4.12/5  rDev -7.4%

Poured from a bottle into an oversized snifter. Pours a honey-amber color, with a soapy white head providing excellent lacing on the sides. This bottle is about six months old or so, so I'm curious to see if the hops have mellowed at all.

Smell is piney hops, decent resin, and a touch of citrus. There's an underlying yeastiness - perhaps from the age? I don't recall this in the younger bottles.

Age has definitely tempered this hop monster. Still plenty hoppy and bitter, but that bitterness quickly fades for a floral honey taste. Still some astringency nipping at the tongue. Definitely tasty, just not a Hop Slam.

Mouthfeel is medium to full; this is still a DIPA, even if it is 6 mnths old!

Even aged this is a damn drinkable brew. Maybe there should be a second category for rating this more mellow, but not too mellow, version of Hop Slam. Don't be afraid to cellar this one for some time; just expect that the hops will fade and a clover honey taste will start to present.

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.