1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 1,893
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.

(Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros

thereal_adam, Feb 21, 2014

Andrewleithsmith, Jun 10, 2014

Fargin, Mar 28, 2012

spamages, Nov 16, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

Appearance- Pours a beautiful orange color, with some very cloudy sediment into a large wine glass, leaving a 2 finger head that slowly recedes to a smaller cap with some great clinging lace on the glass.

Smell- The main component I pick up is the grapefruit. Also, I pick up some aroma's reminiscent of a spring walk in the woods. I can't exactly put my finger on the precise scent, however. I pick up also what seems to be some honey. After a bit of swirling from the glass I get a waft of dole pineapple juice. This nose of this beer, tells me right off the bat that this has some seriously nice balance.

Taste- Initially the palate gets hit with the grapefruit but also some of the pineapple that was previously mentioned is there and a bit of honey/apple. This is probably the most balanced DIPA I have ever had. It has the nice malt backbone but the huge hopiness balances perfectly in my opinion. The finish is semi-dry hopiness with some residual grapefruit.

Mouthfeel- Light/medium carbonation that doesn't get in the way of the main act, the perfect balance of the beer. As mentioned above, this beer has an excellent finish as well.

Drinkability- If I were to guess on the ABV of this beer I would probably guess about 6-7% max, but this thing, being this drinkable at 10%, is dangerous. Not once did I pick up on big alcohol monster creeping in. Well done bells. All I can say is, I am glad I have 17 more bottles until next year.

Greggy, Apr 07, 2008
4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

Every year I get excited for this beer to come out - one of the best DIPAs out there for sure! Had this from a bottle numerous times and have already managed to find myself bellied up to the bar at Sonka Irish Pub multiple times this week. Sweet nectar!

Pours a light amber color with a very thin white head. Slightly cloudy but this quickly becomes nearly clear. A good looking beer!

What a nose on this guy! Definitely one of the best smelling beers around. Loads and loads of citrusy fruits. And hops - a quick whiff lets you know this thing is just loaded with them! I find myself stuffing my nose into my pint glass every single time I take a drink!

An outstanding beer. Very sweet to start off...not honey sweet, but fruit sweet. Then the hoppiness begins. A small amount of the piney hops are certainly in there along with a grapefruit / orange peel blast that really smacks you. How wonderful to have a lingering taste that is both sweet and bitter. Long after a drink has been swallowed, I'm able to dig some more sweet-bitter out of the corners of my mouth. This beer is truly a prize for hopheads. The malt is virtually non-existent as the power of the hops is obviously the focus of this brew. This is quite a mouthful too - smooth for sure, with the alcohol fairly well masked.

Overall, this is a phenomenal beer. I'll keep heading to the pub to try and get my fill before the last keg runs dry. A must-try for anyone who truly loves the hoppy beers.

hayesez, Feb 13, 2010
Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.