Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 1,941
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.

(Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros

udouche, Nov 01, 2013

Andrewleithsmith, Jun 10, 2014

Fargin, Mar 28, 2012

spamages, Nov 16, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

Appearance- Pours a beautiful orange color, with some very cloudy sediment into a large wine glass, leaving a 2 finger head that slowly recedes to a smaller cap with some great clinging lace on the glass.

Smell- The main component I pick up is the grapefruit. Also, I pick up some aroma's reminiscent of a spring walk in the woods. I can't exactly put my finger on the precise scent, however. I pick up also what seems to be some honey. After a bit of swirling from the glass I get a waft of dole pineapple juice. This nose of this beer, tells me right off the bat that this has some seriously nice balance.

Taste- Initially the palate gets hit with the grapefruit but also some of the pineapple that was previously mentioned is there and a bit of honey/apple. This is probably the most balanced DIPA I have ever had. It has the nice malt backbone but the huge hopiness balances perfectly in my opinion. The finish is semi-dry hopiness with some residual grapefruit.

Mouthfeel- Light/medium carbonation that doesn't get in the way of the main act, the perfect balance of the beer. As mentioned above, this beer has an excellent finish as well.

Drinkability- If I were to guess on the ABV of this beer I would probably guess about 6-7% max, but this thing, being this drinkable at 10%, is dangerous. Not once did I pick up on big alcohol monster creeping in. Well done bells. All I can say is, I am glad I have 17 more bottles until next year.

Greggy, Apr 07, 2008
4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

Every year I get excited for this beer to come out - one of the best DIPAs out there for sure! Had this from a bottle numerous times and have already managed to find myself bellied up to the bar at Sonka Irish Pub multiple times this week. Sweet nectar!

Pours a light amber color with a very thin white head. Slightly cloudy but this quickly becomes nearly clear. A good looking beer!

What a nose on this guy! Definitely one of the best smelling beers around. Loads and loads of citrusy fruits. And hops - a quick whiff lets you know this thing is just loaded with them! I find myself stuffing my nose into my pint glass every single time I take a drink!

An outstanding beer. Very sweet to start off...not honey sweet, but fruit sweet. Then the hoppiness begins. A small amount of the piney hops are certainly in there along with a grapefruit / orange peel blast that really smacks you. How wonderful to have a lingering taste that is both sweet and bitter. Long after a drink has been swallowed, I'm able to dig some more sweet-bitter out of the corners of my mouth. This beer is truly a prize for hopheads. The malt is virtually non-existent as the power of the hops is obviously the focus of this brew. This is quite a mouthful too - smooth for sure, with the alcohol fairly well masked.

Overall, this is a phenomenal beer. I'll keep heading to the pub to try and get my fill before the last keg runs dry. A must-try for anyone who truly loves the hoppy beers.

hayesez, Feb 13, 2010

abuss2, Sep 05, 2012

Jim_Benz, Jun 07, 2013

MidtowneMarket, Aug 22, 2012

DuffBeer14, Aug 10, 2013
Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.