Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 2,391
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,259 | Hads: 11,634
4.07/5  rDev -8.5%

This 12ozer was bottled about a month and a half ago (batch 9470), so it's fresh, though not super-fresh.

Poured into a snifter. Appealing deep honey color with a massive white head. Impressive retention for a high-abv brew, very good lacing.

Aroma is brilliant and vibrant, full of citrus hops and apricot. Nice.

Flavor was pretty hot and hoppy. Sort of sweet and not incredibly bitter. Hop flavor seemed kind of nondescriptly tangy and incomplete. Mouthfeel was oily from the hops and creamy from the ample carbonation.

I feel like this beer gets a lot of its reputation from its warming character. The kick-- likely a result of the honey added during brewing-- is nice and smooth, but it doesn't do much for the flavors of this beer. Good stuff, if over-hyped. Didn't really slam me. (792 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -8.5%

Batch #8907, January 6, 2009. 12 oz. bottle.

Smell is slighty hoppy with a slight smell of honey. The color is light golden with a significant head. The taste is a nice hoppy feeling, not overwhelming. Mouthfeel is a good taste with the 10% abv not being strong to overtake the taste. The drinkability is good enough that I can drink a few more Hopslams now. Nice.
Overall, a good beer to enjoy. (397 characters)

Bottle poured into a tulip - Bottled on 1/16/14, enjoyed on 1/24/14

A - Pours a very nice shade of orange. Only about a half finger head with mild carbonation.

S - Orange, grapefruit, citrus, and a sweetness.

T - Palate wrecker...lots of hoppiness in mainly citrus and piney notes. A hint of malt in the background gives it a touch of sweetness. The alcohol is noticeable.

M - Very bitter on the sides of the tongue. Finishes dry, carbonation tickles the tongue.

O - This is a very good DIPA. It's a hop bomb (or slam) that finishes very bitter and dry. If the bitterness was toned down a touch and the alcohol balanced out a little more, this would be a level higher. (673 characters)

Poured from a 12oz bottle to a sampler glass 6oz

A:Poured a light golden color with small amount of head with a nice lace that clings to the edeges as yo finish the brew

S:smell of light honey,citrus,grape fruit,with a lot of pine in there nice bitter smell comeing through

T:hops hops hops hops theese hops just cling to your tongue and take it on a magical ride.a little honey sweetness at first not as sweet as I was hopeing for but then the hops come through and slam you hard in a verry good way

M:wet verry oily the hops don't leave your mouth for a wile they just hang around with a bitter dry finish

O:if you love hops this beer is for you it is a realy great diipa I was expecting a lot more honey sweetness but there wasent much there it was a damn good beer tho and I hope I can get a hold of some more and some other bels brews they seem like a very good brewery

Live life drink beer!!!:-) (907 characters)

4.06/5  rDev -8.8%

I have been waiting to try this beer...and worth the wait it was! Local restaurant has this on tap here in teh 'burbs of Chicago is awesome! The beer is slightly cloudy golden with thin head. The aroma was a powerful citrus and pine...everything one would want from an Imperial IPA. The citrus/pine help to balance the 10% ABV....a few of these and one will be slammed!!!! The high alcohol and powerful flavor makes this a tough session beer! Morning after would probably be like having a car deoderizer in your mounth. Stay thirsty my friends! (544 characters)

4.06/5  rDev -8.8%

From a twelve-ounce bottle packaged on October 25, 2006. This beer came into my possession via my highly trained local elite ninja underground case-splitting network. Thanks guys, you know who you are. Beer served in my "Mondial de la Bière" stange/flute/mug-type glass, a gift from Canadian BA Goldorak.

OK now to the beer: Appearance is trendy and hip, all golden-orange with off-centered columns of shooting bubbles complimented by an attractive sticky-ass lacing.

Aroma is catty with tons of citrus in a juicy orange, tangerine kind-of-way. I like the sweetness coming off this glass, like a promise of rock sugar-coated pine trees.

The taste delivers a one-two punch, the cattiness still evident here with a delightfully thick oily humulene - um... slam? The hops on the tongue manage to simultaneously invoke the herbal, piney, citrus and even flowery perceptions all at once. This is a nice sweet, well-balanced DIPA, a refreshing take on an often palate-numbing style.

My second pour creates an incredibly cloudy turbulent storm in the glass like a perpetually active glass bulb snow globe filled not with water and "snow" but with all-natural pure squeezed high pulp orange juice. The taste amazingly doesn't seem to be changed much by the huge flakes of yeaties running rampant in my glass.

Bell's produces another winner. I might as well stop reviewing beers from these guys and just say there all freaking good. Cheers. (1,447 characters)

4.06/5  rDev -8.8%

Pours out an orange color, almost amber. Very perfectly clear, with a 1cm white head, with minimal lacing. Looks just to style, I like the appearance. The smell is filled with fruity hops, and the honey sweetness is very present. There's also the entire range of hoppy smells in there, which is nice: orange zest, herbal, floral, earthy, leafy. Very nice, but not the most completely overwhelming nose of hops. The taste is very rich. I get loads of fruity hops with quite a nice grapefruit sweetness. The bitterness isn't actually overpowering - I can find some balance here, and there is plenty of hop flavor. I love the late hops. The taste of the honey on my tongue is really nice, adds a bit of complexity to go with the hops. The mouthfeel is right about what you'd expect, full of hops, nice carbonation, not much of an alcohol burn. I found myself diving back for sip after sip, and the 10% didn't hit me until the end.
I wish I could've gotten my hands on it back in January, but more than happy to have it now. (1,020 characters)

4.06/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured into a tall highball style glass provided by my hotel where I am consuming this in my room.

A wonderful hazy copper color with a fluffy white had that subsides leaving a single horizontal rim with vertical spokes. A very unusually consistent pattern

The aroma is best described as sweet. I'm pulling for some of that citrus/pine/floral/grapefruit that I look for in hop bombs but all I come up with is sweetness. A little swirling and I get a touch of malt and fruit.

A slight burn on the finish from the 10% but overall a very easy drinking and hop flavorful beer. (578 characters)

4.06/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a cloudy copper with a decent off-white head that lingers for a bit. Lacing is plentiful.

S - Lots of citrus hop aromas, particularly grapefruit and pineapple.

T - Pineapple persists, with a variation of other citrusy hop flavors lingering in the background. Plenty of malt sweetness in the finish to balance this beer.

M - Full-bodied with a fairly wet finish. A small amount of hop bitterness lingers on the palate.

D - Very smooth and enjoyable, and the alcohol remains very well-hidden throughout. Due to the fact that it's not available in Texas, I was forced to drink a less-than-fresh bottle that I acquired on eBay. It's very good, but I'm interested to see what it's like fresh. As it is right now though, it's insanely drinkable. I love it!!! (766 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -9%

A: Honey golden in color. Creamy light head that dissipates quickly. Fine lacy retention around the rim of the glass that continues and hangs on the whole time.

S: Very citrusy. Orange peel, essence of pine and some undertones of grapefruit. Malt profile is also very prevalent.

T: Wonderfully complex hop profile. Pine and citrus notes, intertwined, fall over the tongue, but it does not have a strong tannic bite. The malt body is bready and slightly caramel. Being a strongly hopped beer, the malt profile is "slammed" into submission. Naturally. There seems to be a lingering acidic after taste.

M: Full and round on the palate. It's almost as though the beer bends and falls off the sides of the tongue. It's like chewing on a slab of hops.

D: I thoroughly enjoy this beer. Definitely not a session beer, but an ale I enjoy none the less. This beer would pair well with a properly seasoned piece of meat or cold cut sandwich. Sorry vegetarians. I'm sure pastrami tofu would pair well?? (994 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -9%

Pours a golden honey hue into a tulip glass with a nice little head.

The aroma is pretty much hops and honey, which makes sense.

The taste is hops, a bit of sweetness, probably from the honey, and that's about it. the taste is kind of simple but very good. The hops are, admittedly, delicious.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied, and the drinkability is limited by it's high alcohol content.

After hearing all the hype, I expected this to blow me away. It didn't but it is a very good beer. Perhaps not worthy of the hype, but definitely worthy of respect and appreciation. (573 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -9%

Batch 8912, which puts this at roughly 2 months.

Orange, some haze. Busy carbonation. Half inch of head sticking at the top. Even sheets of lace. Well done.

Bright citrus aroma. Sweet, with light fruit. A lot of hops, but they don't have their edge right now.

Very citric flavor. Sweet at first with lots of fruitiness, sweet grapefruit, pineapple. Decently malty. Bitterness and pure hop flavor seem quite a bit muted already. It's not puckering in the slightest. Not what I would call a hop bomb at this point. Piney notes not to be found. Herbal/grassy aftertaste. Just a little dryness in the finish, along with what must be honey. Alcohol is masked decently. You won't mistake it for a sessionable brew, as it doesn't take long to hit home. Had another bottle, and found that the warmer served, the better.

A bit tingly, but pretty smooth. Nice.

Well, this is good and all. The hype was so overwhelming, though. For a beer that costs this much, I feel like I should be getting something a bit more special. 90 Minute is a better value, and a better beer, imo. If I need to get this within a few weeks to fully enjoy it, that kind of sucks. Can I drink it? For sure. I'm underwhelmed, but in the minority. I don't doubt that it was better fresher, but it sure seems to have aged poorly. (1,295 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -9%

Pours with a slight haze , smallish head , some lacing.

Smell is grapefruity and hoppy.

Taste is fruity sweet . The hops do dominate , but I get an apple pear fruitiness. The aftertaste just about numbs my taste buds.

Mouthfeel is thick and sweet. Residual sweetness coats the mouth. Decent carbonation.

Drinkability suffers somewhat from high IBU's , sweetness and ABV , but it's an enjoyable beer. (405 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -9%

Not sure about the hype...that being said, this is a very good IPA! Having followed a Stone collaboration Green Tea IPA, I honestly can't tell much difference in taste. But then again, what does that tell ya?! It tells me Hop Slam is on-par with the best-of-the-best! (267 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -9%

A- Has a clear dark orange color with a white fluffy two finger head that dissolves quickly. The head leaves chunky lacing all the way around the class

S- Huge pineapple and honey notes accompanied by fresh grass. It also has a slight smell of alcohol

T- Has a big bitter bite in the beginning which is smoothed by the honey and then followed by a nice sweet and fruity finish.

M- has a crisp medium mouth feel with sharp carbonation

O- overall a very enjoyable beer. It’s well balanced and provides great flavors, no part of it is more overpowering than the other. Definitely something to seek out if you have not tried it.

Enjoy- (640 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -9%

Pours a golden honey color, creamy head that fades with nice lacing

Smells of honey and hops

Tastes of hops with honey sweetness, the alcohol is well masked. A little sweeter than i would've expected.

Full body, not overly thick but still chewy. medium carbonation.

Over all, good beer, i don't think its amazing as a DIPA. The honey sweetness kind of knocked down the hops, i certainly would not call this a hop bomb. (422 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -9%

8 month vintage Hopslam poured into a snifter - Golden straw color, maybe a shade darker and more rich than a pilsner color, with a decent head that died down pretty quickly.

The smell is well balanced between sweet malt and hop notes. The combination of the two give it a very pleasant fruity aroma akin to that of pineapples.

The taste is similar to the smell in that it is well balanced with an assertive hop character, perhaps a bit mellowed out with time. Sweet malt and honey notes come in up front and then give way to a pleasantly assertive hop character

This one reminded me a lot of this year's batch of Lake Erie monster - which I also liked a lot (663 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -9%

Smells incredible. Tastes very good. All the rage? Nah, but worth a try. Huge citrus and floral nose that stays with initial sip. Sweeter than most, but not overwhelming. (170 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -9%

Served in a brandy glass.

A: Straight forward, copper tinted with amber. Nice lacing.

S: Good mix of earthy and floral hops. The honey is there, too.

T: Surprisingly unhoppy. The hops are there, but the sweetness really balances them out. The booze is only present between sips/gulps (mostly sips).

M: Thick with good carbonation. Remarkably smooth.

D: Considering the 10% ABV, this goes down like water.

Comments: If you didn't tell me this beer was a 10% ABV. beer, I'd think it was just a very good IPA. I prefer the Two-Hearted Ale in terms of flavor and complexity. The drink on this bad boy, though, is where it stands out. It's a borderline session beer in terms of how easy it goes down . . . If you're a rich alcoholic, this could be your beer of choice. I could put away a sixer in an hour or two if I didn't know better. (843 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -9%

Appearance- Clear, light orange. Off white head sits on top, but ends in a film.

Smell- Sweet grapefruit with a bit of malt backbone.

Taste- Tastes like eating a grapefruit after a spoon full of honey. There is a small alcohol burn at the very end. This one gets more malty as it warms.

Mouthfeel- Very good. At 10% abv you would expect this to have a much thicker mouthfeel. It gets thicker as it warms up.

Drinkability- I would be able to have one maybe two but no more than that.

Hopsbreath, again, hooked me up with two of these. I have had this before, but didn't think much of it. I didn't really understand the hype. I can appreciate a good DIPA, but when the ABV gets to 9% and more I get turned off. I will say that out of all the big ABV DIPAs I have had, this is the best. I don't think I will really seek this out from year to year, but it is nice to be able to say you have had it.
Thanks to hopsbeath, again, for being a very generous BA. (963 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -9%

Appearance
Golden orange, 1/4" head, good amount of carbonation bubbles, clear

Smell
Pineapple! And then some orange juice, followed by something sharp--most likely a pine-like hop. It's hops through and through, but not quite as big and overpowering as I had anticipated.

Taste & Mouthfeel
Hops and more hops, with the same flavors present as in the smell (no surprises). Surprisingly, the body is a bit thin, more like an IPA than a DIPA. I expected more of a luscious, creamy mouthfeel; however, the lightness of it makes it that much more drinkable, although the 10% ABV does not. Aftertaste is of apricots, and there's a dash of malt sweetness peeking its head around all the hops. Very tasty. The alcohol was hidden until the last two sips--then I felt just a bit of heat. Just looked at the label and it say's "Ale brewed with honey" which I didn't know until now. That may explain the bit of sweetness I detected.

Overall
Hopslam is extremely tasty, but it didn't quite live up to the hype or my expectations (considering how flavorful their IPA is). It seemed like a huge IPA but a small DIPA. This brew has been sitting in the bottle for a few months now and people on this site have been remarking that it's toning down a bit already. So, to be fair, I guess I really need to try this the week it hits the shelves. (1,329 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -9%

Bottle into Duvel tulip. Acquired via trade.

A - Perfect amber tone, with a nice soapy, fluffy white head. Lacing is great for an IPA this big.

S - Citrus, tropical fruits and honey in the malt come through.

T - Sweetness hits first, then the hops, then fruit and honey. The hop notes are very mango/citrus and the honey adds a nice touch to the aftertaste.

M - Perfect mouthfeel and carbonation. Maybe it's the honey helping, but it's got a nice creamy thickness to it.

O - I'm a fan of the bottled version, but not nearly as much as the draft pour I had near Philly. On tap, this beer is absolutely jaw-dropping. The tropical notes are much more pronounced. I'd still trade for a few fresh bottles each year though. Bottled, it drinks much more like a honey-infused version of Two-Hearted. Go Bells Go! (814 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -9%

Honey - dark honey. Honey-amber? Thin off-white head. Aroma of green wet hops. Flavors of floral hops, apricot, and sweet grains. The honey added is well integrated - not too sweet, and it seems to lend a silky mouthfeel, or maybe I'm being misled. Alcohol is in check - not much intrusion. Good stuff. Two Hearted Ale meets the Incredible Hulk. (345 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -9%

Another solid offering from Bells. I enjoy how the different liquor stores price this abv monster. Be careful an extra $6 can be ripped from your wallet for no good reason.

Light amber with clingy lace. ( it's so clear where is all the alcohol hiding)

A good nose with persistent hops. I expected a little more aggressive nose then this having recalled the memory of last years batch.

Lots of initial bitterness but with the third drink the honey punches through and sweetness starts to drag the hops under.

After one it's easy to think about another but I think that would ne a waste. Although my glass emptied surprisingly fast (636 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -9%

okay, i had big expectations for this beer... had this on tap right after i had nugget nectar, so it had big shoes to filll

you can taste this biiiter hops in this one but no where as much as nugget necatar. this beer is more about the large amounts of pale malt and alcohol wich is typical of a DIPA. mouth feel is creamy. (324 characters)

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.