Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Hopslam Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

YOUR RATING = None |

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Michigan, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by beernbbq on 04-14-2004

Reviews: 3,437 | Ratings: 12,535

Appearance: Beautiful orange color. Very clear and inviting. Nice two finger head, with not too much retention. Looks fairly light in comparison to higher ABV beers like this one.

Smell: Strong citrus flavor. Very full of notes from the orange/tangerine family. Slight sweet honey notes as well.

Taste: Lots of intense flavors going on. It all hits my tongue fairly fast so it is somewhat hard to take in. Has some strong sweet orange citrus notes. Then a tiny booze taste. Then it goes quickly back to the sweet citrus notes. It’s almost too complex for my palette to pick apart. Maybe after I am able to try another bottle or two at a later time.

Mouth feel: Great, light, frothy feel on the tongue. Not overly carbonated but not flat.

Overall: I think this is a great beer. It definitely is one of my favorite DIPA.

Glasswear: Snifter

A: Pours a nice clear color with a slight green tinge. To be expected with a beer as hoppy as this one claims to be.

S: The nose doesn't really smell as hoppy as I would expect with a beer called "hopslam." Relatively sweet with a little bit of bitterness.

T: The hoppiness is relatively tame. It's definitely there, but the sweetness of the honey definitely comes through. Not getting any booziness which is nice on the 10% abv.

M: Super smooth mouthfeel. Nothing unpleasant about this.

O: I really wanted to be able to say something bad about this beer after all the hype. I've been trying to get my hands on a bottle for 2 years, and finally managed to get a couple of 6-packs and a draft pour this year. While it may not be deservng of the price charged, it is definitely a delicious beer. And I can't judge the quality of beer by what the bars decide to charge for it. So, while I won't pay $20 for a 6er of beer every week, I'll definitely do whatever I can to get my hands on one of these when I can. Not to be missed. A very well balanced and well put together beer.

Serving type: bottle & draft

The best DIPA I have had....PERIOD...

Appearance: Light orange color....small white head..

Smell: Incredible aroma of newly cut christmas trees and fresh sweet citrus (grapefruit, oranges, pinneaples, and tangerines).

Taste: Sweet, fresh citrus hop flavor that is more tasty than bitter...a big grapefruit element but also the tangerines, oranges and pinneapples...A bit of the christmas tree taste as well....The malt is very much in the background but does the job perfectly because this never feels unbalanced or like hop water...

Mouthfeel: Perfect....medium bodied...smooth....9.3%?? No-where to be tasted....like a silent assassin...I am sure this is high in IBU's but it tastes more juicy sweet than bitter...a great example of how to use hops.

Drinkability: Like I stated at the top....the best there is...Two hearted is one of my favorites but I had no idea I would like this so much. Fuck the price, I will try to secure another case of this if possible. Truly the nectar of the gods.. It's been a long time since I popped in a 5.0 on this site and now I have had two in a week (including a Town Hall beer I have yet to enter).

Good gawd! Get dunked on by this hopslamming ale; the smell is of a hoppy meadow in the Elysian fields and the taste is similar to a bulldozer shoving a inordinate amount of pines citrus hops and a motley of other refreshing ingredients onto your palate where they accommodate one another instead of duking it out.

It's my favorite beer in the world (after overtaking Two Hearted Ale after a few tries).

A - golden, pleasant to look at, very little head that dissipates quickly

S - slightly fruity with a smell of honey, it is pleasant to the senses - unlike some other "beers," Hopslam does not smell of alcohol despite its high ABV

T - Fruit to honey to hops, leaving you begging for more. The after-taste is great if you like hops or honey, but if you don't like either of those, then it's not for you.

M - Scintillating for the taste-buds, the spot-on mix of carbonation, alcohol, and honey is quite pleasant and most certainly doesn't turn your mouth.

D - Sails right down...two or three of these and you're easily done for the night, but because of the alcohol content and not drinkability issues.

I just love this beer. On Tap at Dickey's in Fort Wayne.

Pours a nice honey amber, aroma is all about citrus and the promise of the first sip, taste is sharp at first, but mellows quickly to a honey finish.

This is my favorite winter time beer of all time.

OMFG... Best DIPA I have ever had and I want more. Dear Belle's please distribute in our state so that I may have this when ever I want and not have to lug it back from business trips! But I digress.

Would like to have it on draft to see how it compares to a bottle I imagine it only would get better!

2012 Batch/and 2013
Poured in a pint glass, 1" head slow to dissipate. A slightly hazy dark gold with good carbination.
You can smell the sweetness from at least a foot away! Up close its a citrus festival with a touch of pine note.
T- starts with a big hop taste not a citrusy as it smells but close. Has a rich sweetness to it, the malt is hidden, you think it might lead to it as it finishes but stays hoppy until the end.
M-Rich full and sweet excellent carbination.
O-I wanted to give this beer a perfect rating,I have been lookiing forward to it so much I couldn't give it all 5's because I was so siked about it. This is by far the best beer I have had in a long time! Last years batch didn't have what this year does. they nailed it this time! This beer deserves the world class rating it has!
2014 update; Smoother, richer and MONSTER lacing in the glass!!! Upgraded to perfect scores! Sorry couldn't help it the is one friggen awesome beer!

I had to review this beer after trying it for the first time because I am not a hoppy beer/IPA guy but was blown away by this superb beer! Tried it in a sampler and promptly ordered a whole one.

The color was almost orange in hue, with a slight head that dissipated quickly. The aroma was fantastic! I could tell by the smell that I was in for a treat, because it wasn't overpowering in the typical way that very hoppy beers are to me, but instead gave amazing floral and citrus notes. Mouthfeel was substantial compared to a regular IPA, and I liked the body and slight malty sweetness, which quickly gave way to the hops. Whatever combo they use was enough to convert me, because it was intense and complex without the harshness of most beers with that much hops. I'm guessing a lot of late additions and dry hops. You'd also never guess this was 10% ABV. I never order IPAs or DIPAs, but from now on, when I see this on tap, that's probably what I'll get.

Served on tap as a "super premium" at Papago Brewing Co in Scottsdale. Looks perfect, tastes perfect (the exact amount of honey sweetness to balance the hop bitterness), smells perfect. No bitter aftertaste and the 10% ABV is fast becoming the sweet spot for high alcohol ipa's that don't go too far overboard (I'm looking at you 120). Like April Fool's Day, July 4th Fireworks and hanging out with the guys on Labor Day for our fantasy football draft it is something I look forward to every year that rarely disappoints.

Bells Hopslam poured an amber color, with a nice head that dispated rather quickly. It smelt and tasted of alot of hops, and a dash of honey. It waas extremly flavorfull, and full of flavor. Overall an absoultly fantastic beer. If you like hoppy beers, this will be a favorite.

While this is an excellent tasting beer from the bottle, it is enhanced by drinking it from the glass to capture the aromas. The scent and smell of this beer coupled with it's hoppy yet smooth taste, makes this beer both delicious and enjoyable. Highly recommend!

Awesome! Just awesome. Best smelling beer I have tried. One of the best tasting to boot. Citrus, and especially grapefruit, to me, give this beer a fantastic aroma, and leaves a more than pleasant taste on the palette. Most likely due to the added honey, the bit of sweetness balances the bitterness well. Fantastic beer.

I was never much of an IPA fan, but then I walked into Dutch's. I have always been a fan of Bell's, and wow, I was Blown Away by this beer. The flavor was amazing the subtle hints of honey just made me instantly fall in love with it. It is my favorite beer. Bravo Bells!

A: a beautiful orange with the perfect amount of head.

S: Floral and citrus hops with a hint of honey. a smell that makes home brewers want to quit.

T: Balance. it all comes through. The citrus and floral hops, complexity, a touch of alch. At 10% the honey really helps this go down easy.

O: The perfect DIPA

IF YOU LIKE HOPPY BEERS THIS IS A REALLY AWESOME SMELLING BEER! THE NAME SPEAKS FOR IT SELF IT IS EXTREMLY HOPPY AND IT PACKS A PUNCH MEANING IT DOES NOT TAKE MUCH TO FEEL THE EFFECTS OF THE BEER. I JUST LOVE IT CAN NOT GET ENOUGH. ONE OF THE BEST BEERS I EVER HAD.

Perfection in a bottle. This brew pours a radiant yellow orange liquid, floating a respectable head. Insane lacing sticks to the glass. Smell is a sweet citrusy pine aroma. Grapefruit and lemons. Taste is a tart citrus hop attack balanced quite perfectly by asugary honey note. This beer is perfect. 10% drinks like 5%. After every sip, my mouth was left wanting another. The bar has been set, this is the perfect DIPA for the citrus hop fiend.

I've never had a 10 % beer that is so well balanced between the high gravity, hops and malt character. Popping open a bottle and pouring produces a wonderful citrusy/grapefruit aroma. A truly fantastic creation by Bell's, if you are a fan of simcoe hops this is beer must be on your TRY NOW list!

This is the one beer you want in the "desert island" scenario, if you like HOPS. Caps lock is on for H-O-P-S as the grapefruit flavor is only rivaled by Fresca or an actual grapefruit. It is between the eyes HOPS and it trounces other hoppy brews.
It's a sweet Double IPA, but the sugars are perfect balanced to bring the hoppy character under control.
One caveat: at 10% ABV, this one can topple giants. This was the second time I have tried it and it's worth $3 a bottle.
Hats off to the team at Bell's. They have given me hope for every new year.

A very rare all 5-er for me, but this beers deserves that and more. A pale, hazed apricot colored pour wears a frothy white cap that lasts forever and leaves a thick crusting of lace on my goblet.

The aroma is like you are meditating in a Zen garden high in the crisp mountain air filled with fresh flowers and honeysuckle, all around you are tangerine, orange, lemon, and grapefruit trees, their leaves rustling gently in the breeze. Beneath their branches heavy with fruit grows a fragrent marijuana plant, it's buds bejeweled with powerdy crystals.

With the flavor continues the transcendent experience that is HopSlam. A complex and expertly assembled blend of magically complimentary flavors just explodes across your palate. It's aggressive hop character is tamed by the complex citrus, wildflower, golden malt toast, wildflower honey, and pungent yet fruity marijuana notes. I LOVE Double IPA's and there are very few that are on this level.

Body is perfectly medium with a soft mouthfeel like smooth flower petals with a creamy texture and lasting finish of complex hops. Insanely drinkable due to it's severe deliciousness and well hidden alcohol content. I hope the bottled version is as good when (if) it ever makes it to Charlotte.

A: pours a brilliant copper orange with good amount of head.

S: very good smelling beer. Citrus, piny with hints of honey.

T: hard to explain but the honey flavor is intermingled in this iipa and perfectly compliments this beer.

M: medium bodied beer that is perfectly carbonated.

O: I was lucky enough to have a very fresh batch and I can honestly say this is the best beer I've ever had. Its hard to not have one when I'm home and I continually think about having another one when i.m out.

Hands down one of my top 5 favorite beers. Not necessarily a huge fan of X2 IPA's but this double will always be at the top of my list. Beautiful and rich in it's golden color with an aroma hand crafted in hop heaven. The honey in this beer is what makes it so memorable. Very well balanced in it's citrus notes and definitely not as strong as it's percentage hints that it should be. Not such a popular beer in the south, but when it is around it never lasts long. Another score for Bells Brewery!

Appearance- Beautiful honey color, Maybe a pinky finger's worth of head with great retention in the glass.

Smell--Fresh hops, a little hint of sweetness

Taste-- Are you kidding me? Beer can be this good? It's a full hop flavor on the front end, followed by a malty, honey sweetness, with a delicate crispness in the finish. It's a real thing of beauty

Mouthfeel--Surprisingly light, considering the amount of flavor it has. At 10% ABV it probably goes down too smoothly.

Overall--The most magnificent thing on earth only better

Two thoughts:Nectar of the Gods and Grapefruit Juice from heaven. That is what this beer is like. I love the total package. Very artfully crafted. The hops are HUGE! But, they're hidden behind a masterfully built malt base. Lots of citrus, pine and honey flavors going on here. What a great combination. A hopheads dream? I think so! The finest beer that I've tasted so far to date.

I don't know what I can add everything is been said. If you haven't tried it you need to. You will not forget it! It will stay in the back of your mind for the whole year until it comes out again. It has for me every year for about six years now.

I love this beer!!

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.