Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 2,048
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.

(Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
3.95/5  rDev -12%

Bottled 01/09/12 and consumed about a week ago. Tulip glass. Thanks to mdfb79 for this!

A: Clear, medium gold with a finger of nice white head. Good retention.

S: Faint citrus (grapefruit, orange), a little pine and grassy-ness. Caramel comes out more as it warms and mingles very well with the honey. Smells good but on the fainter side.

T: Citrus hops and caramel malt first, followed by honey washing over the tongue. The honey covers a decent amount of the underlying hop bitterness (for the better). A little residual, subtle sweetness is evident at the end. Again, the honey and caramel malt work wonderfully together.

M: Medium-full body, a little sticky, medium-light carbonation. Carbonation is a bit rough.

O: The honey is the high point here. Otherwise, not particularly hoppy. Incredibly drinkable for 10%--I would have guessed 6 or 7 without looking at the label. Good, but I'm not sure I understand the craze over it.

3.95/5  rDev -12%

Pours a dirty orange color with a big white head that left behind some lace. Smells of huge hops and a lot of sugary malts. Mostly there is citrus with a bit of pine and some tropical fruit. The mouthfeel is a little syrpuy and the beer tastes a little hot. This is not bad, but kind of hard to drink and I think a little overrated.

undated 12 oz bottle, id 8285

A - Pours a light golden brown color with little haze. Carbonation is obviously present, but the head retention is very small. Maybe a mm which dissipated to a film.

S - Strong floral notes are quite apparent here. The obvious high hopping rate of noble hops is resulting in a citrus/grapefruit nose. Appealing and fits the style.

T - Starts with a grassy hard hop bite that transitions to a balance of sweet malt backbone, bitterness, and citrus hop flavors. Finishes with the hop slam as the name would lead you to think. The after taste is persistent and sweet.

M - A difficult mouthfeel to describe. It seems to be light and watery at times, while some tacky clinging in the aftertaste.

D - The fact that while this is a nice hoppy beer, but not a hop bomb, has me believing that it wouldn't be difficult to knock one back. The high ABV is a counter balance to this however.

Another quality offering from Bells.

12 oz bottle, batch 8283

Decanted as instructed on the bottle, the pour is a light coppery orange, quite clear, with three quarters of an inch of off-white foam. Lacing is decent. I've seen better lacing from this beer, but only when warmer, and from experience I like this one a little colder than the 50-55F serving temperature listed on this site. An uneven cap remains for most of the glass.

The nose isn't my favorite, but it is excellent nonetheless, and keeping to style I'd call it the quintessential DIPA. It is hard to believe after sniffing this beer that I haven't dipped my nose in a vat of various oily citrusy hop juices. (wow, that doesn't sound half bad - bucket list is filling up!) I can't say that the ample malt backbone or the honey show up here, but again this is at about 45 degrees.

Fairly tasty beer. Again glad that I chilled this one in the regular fridge. I had this at 60-65 degrees the other day to confirm my previous thoughts - when warm the sweet malt, honey, and alcohol make for a really full, sticky, hot, nearly hard-to-drink beverage, with the ample bitterness not blending well but showing up in strange fashion in the finish. Yeah, I think I'll make sure I've got these pretty cool from now on. (If you like this at 55 degrees, great - to each their own)
Anyway, when a little cooler the hops shine brightly, citrusy with a little pine. The malt is restrained (in fact the entire body seems a bit thinner), the alcohol beaten into near invisibility by the hop profile, and the honey a vague pleasant sweetness. The overall bitterness isn't TOO high, and lingers at a pleasant level. A hop-head delight!

The body is full and a bit sticky. Appropriate carbonation, and very drinkable for the strength. Perhaps it is because of experience with this beer, but I find myself usually only having one. Maybe I am subconsciously trying to help out the hop shortage, as I could easily see myself having another one or two of these before losing my ability to type. Highly recommended.

3.94/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

The famed Hopslam. Traded for some last year, and loved it. Was a bit let down this year, the hype for it is a bit too high in my opinion. Poured from a 12 oz bottle into my Abandon Brewing tulip.

Pours a dark orange, almost brown. Small, oily, head. Lots of lacing.

Smells really good. Honey sweetness, citrus hops, slight alcohol. Love it.

Tastes a bit worse than the smell. The malt, in combination with the honey, overtakes the hop flavor in my opinion. I did not have an old bottle, I bought it right when it was released, but the hop flavors are too muted for something that is supposed to slam you. Honey use in IPAs is good in my book, but this doesn't quite work like I hoped. The hop flavor present is good- very citrusy and piney, some pineapple, mango, and grapefruit.

Mouthfeel is good. Sticky and dank. The alcohol is definitely felt.

Good, but slightly disappointing.

3.93/5  rDev -12.5%

Appearance: This beer pours a very murky/ cloudy dull orange hue. The bright white head stood up to staggering heights but fell fairly quick leaving behind a nice web-like lace.

Smell: The aromas are like a bunch of sticky sweet pine saplings drizzled in malt syrup. Lots of floral and mild citrus notes as well. Minimal alcohol is noticed, but I can detect some mouthwatering fruits such as grapefruit and nectarines. Very inviting.

Taste: This beer has a good amount " hop slam " qualities thou I believe it may also have some dull qualities. I'm getting some mildly sweet fruits, mild citrus, almost seems like a small IPA with that big beer bang. Not bad by any means just not living up to its name in my opinion. This more " hop balanced " than a hop slam. :Referr : Lagunitas Maximus for " hop slam " aka 75ish ibus!!

Mouthfeel: This is medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Smooth, sticky, and has soft bubbly finish with a nice alcohol kick.

Drinkability: This is definitely a good drinking beer and I believe I could drink this on a regular basis. Only thing I guess im knocking is not commanding it's namesake.

Cheers2Beers

3.93/5  rDev -12.5%

A - Slightly cloudy amber/orange color Small bright white head. Lacing on the glass.

S - Big hop skunky bitter smell.. very sweet

T - This thing is all hops, but with a tart sweetness. If I didn't already know it had honey.. I'd say its a sappy glucose type sweetness. Bitter/tart overall. The 10% ABV is hidden fairly well.. just a slight sting from it at the end.. it meshes well with the bitter hops.

M - Thick bodied, low carbonation.

D - The tartness can really turn people off of this. I'm not a big of it myself, but the sweetness and hops make up for it.

3.93/5  rDev -12.5%

Received in a trade, Thanks Chris!

Bottled 12/29/11. Pours slightly hazy amber. A good pour reveals a medium head & releases great hoppy aroma. Still get a good amount of hops even 4 months post bottling. Can taste the booze on the finish but I'd imagine the hops would mask this when tasting fresh.

Overall a great drink, would love to try again hopefully fresher to compare. Definitely surprises at 10%!

3.93/5  rDev -12.5%

Hopslam pours a hazy, light, amber honey color with a small head that leaves a bit of lacing on the side of the snifter. The smell is very strong, mainly consisting of bright, citrussy hopes. Mostly grapefruit aromas with an underlying bit of honey. The taste starts with a very, very brief bit of sweetness followed a powerful punch of hop bitterness that knocks your socks off but slowly fades away to a soft bitter aftertaste. As the beer warms, the bitterness calms down, the alcohol starts to show up, and the flavors smooth out a bit. The mouthfeel is nice and medium-bodied. This is a tasty hop-bomb, though maybe not quite as good as the hype led me to believe.

Tasting note bells hopslam

Aroma fresh cut hay, grapefruit, traces of honey

Appearance bright gold, crystal clear, fluffy white head thin ribbon like lace

Flavor follows the nose but stronger honey sweetness and grapefruit, very hoppy but not that bitter, alcohol well hidden

Mouthfeel/Drinkability smooth medium body, lightly carbonated.  10% huh? Could've fooled me.

Overall very nice beer, not going to convert me to ipas but will definetly drink a few more.

3.93/5  rDev -12.5%

Bottled Jan 5, 2011. Pours a clear golden-orange color with a frothy 2-finger head that slowly recedes, leaving lots of lacing. Smell is, as expected, a slam of hops. Citrusy, piney goodness, with a touch of bitterness on the back end. First sip almost knocked me over. Strong floral hops that are quickly followed by a wave of intense bitterness. There's a nice sweetness lingering there behind the hops that makes the slam a bit more gentle. The impressive thing about this beer is the variety of hop flavors that come through. Though I suspect, based on others' descriptions, that it would be even more intense if it were fresher. Mouthfeel is a bit tingly, fairly light, but lingers in the mouth. This is a very intense, very hoppy DIPA. While it's not exactly my cup of tea (IPAs in general aren't), I can see why it's so highly regarded.

3.93/5  rDev -12.5%

Pouring this beer produces a huge, foamy white head of about two inches in a pint glass. Head rentention is excellent throughout the entire glass. The body is a very hazy amber color with a ton of what I assume are hop particles floating around.

The smells is all delicious hops. The aromas start sharp and bitter but soon open up with a pleasant sweetness. The smell is strong with citrus, pineapple and pine sap throughout.

A brief rush of honey flavored sweetness gaces the tongue before an atomic bomb of hop flavors hit. The hop flavors are very sharp and bite at the tongue with a hot pepper feel. The hops do include a very balanced, earthy flavor where most of this style goes overboard. The finish is very long with lingering hop bitterness. This beer is definitely not for the rookie.

The mouthfeel is slightly buttery but leans more towars a syrup-like feel. Carbonation would be greatly appreciated and add a very unique feel for this beer.

Drinkability is good. The explosion of hop flavors is enjoyable and easy enough to drink quickly but I still think one of these per session would be enough. I just wish I could've found this closer to its release.

3.93/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Yeah I had sixer shipped to me, victim of the hype. Poured a hazey orange with a dense yellow head, decent lacing that hung around for a bit. Immediate nose of grapefruit, like slam in the face grapefruit, some flowery notes, caramel finish. Wow this is an in your face beer.

Taste - Well lets say the name fits. Seriously go slam your pecker in the door it's that hoppy. Grapefruit, piney, sprucey, feel like i'm consuming the forest here. It's a dry bitter end, the hops have nuked my taste buds, quite powerful. I like it and rather encouraged that it comes out once a year. If it was shelved year round it would be boring.

3.93/5  rDev -12.5%

This had a white head that left quickly, not many bubbles hung around. A very light colored IPA with minimal cloudiness. Smells very smooth for a name like Hopslam. The sour is there, but almost as fruity in smell. The taste is different though...only hops in the initial sip. The aftertaste tones down the drink perfectly, must be the honey. Its not fruity in taste at all, just hops and a smooth undertone which makes it quite drinkable. Just read the bottle cuz I was starting to realize it was high - at 10%ABV (holy crap) this is an amazingly smooth beer!

3.93/5  rDev -12.5%

This one pours a cloudy orange color with a medium head and has decent retention and leaves some lacing on the glass. The aroma is full of grapefruit and grapefruit - actually, that's about all I get from this one. The flavor has enough malt to let you know that it's there, but it's almost all citrus and grapefruit hop flavors. Very hoppy. The body is medium/thick and the drinkability is ok.

3.93/5  rDev -12.5%

Pours a hazy light copper with a thin white head. Lots and Lots of Hops in the aroma. Citrus and Floral with a slight pine undertone. Aroma carries over into the flavor with a nice malty sweetness that almost balances it out. This beer is still a little on the extreme hoppy side for me. Medium mouthfeel with a bitter finish.

3.93/5  rDev -12.5%

this beer has a beautiful deep golden color with a small white head that vanishes quickly, like a ninja, but, unlike a ninja, leaves large traces of lacing.

the smell is sweet, odd for an ipa, and very little bitter scent. sort of an odd trailing scent of hay (or horseblanket?).

the taste is a bit more balanced than the scent. though the odd earthy, haylike character sticks around.

the mouthfeel is very nice, creamy and lightly carbonated. clean finish, with just a little dryness.

this beer does tend to be slightly filling, though not bad on the palate.

I tried this beer last year but i remember it being slightly better, maybe I'm imagining things. still not bad though.

3.93/5  rDev -12.5%

I was a little nervous walking into this beer. As a longtime fan of 2 Hearted the idea of bells making a "seriously hoppy beer" left me... well... concerned.

The smell. Grapefruit. Yup. Grapefruit and lots of it.

The first drink I was really expecting something painfully tart and hoppy. But it was remarkably smooth and floral. Very smooth indeed.

Would I get it again? I'm not sure, in my humble opinion this is probably one of the best hoppy beers that I've ever had. With that said... 16.99 a 6-pack? Hrm... I'll stick with good ole' 2 hearted for now.

3.91/5  rDev -12.9%

Served on tap into tulip glass.

A - Golden orange with two fingers of light beige head. Thick curtains of lace coat the glass.

S - Piney and herbal hop aromas. Hint of cat urine.

T - Strong hop bitterness and pine resin. Intense hop bite. A bit one dimensional flavor wise.

M - Medium body. Tickles the back of the throat as you drink it.

O - Good, not great. I have to say, I don't really get what all the fuss is about. Pretty easy drinking for 10% ABV, so it's got that going for it, which is nice.

3.9/5  rDev -13.1%

A sixer handed to me by my sister in law and her husband for xmas...how friggin' cool is that. Thankfully, they live right down the street from Shangy's.
Honey amber in color with a half finger of bright white head...thin lacing forms as most of the effervescence fades.
Inticing in the nose...mostly hops. Fruity, citrus hops with some floral perfume.
Taste is real good...grapefruit, orange peel, minty and even some spice. Alcohol is there, but the malt backbone helps distract the pallet from it becoming "hot"...honey flavor in the finish.
Mouthfeel is medium-bodied and the carbonation is a touch high...not quite a sipper, but the abv will sneak up on you as you try to savor the flavor with this offering.
Love Bell's...really enjoy this beer.

3.9/5  rDev -13.1%

12oz bottle, goblet, coded 9552 on the bottom of the rear label. Huge thank you to farrago for making my first trade awesome.

Pours out a very nice honey gold that tends towards orange and seems slightly chill hazed. Worthwhile off-white head with pretty good retention.

I began smelling the sweet hoppiness as soon as the bottle was popped. This has definitely faded, no doubt, but retains significant tropical (mango, passion fruit, pineapple) and sweet orange zest in the nose. The malt and what I'm sure lots of people perceive as honey is very potent, very sweet. Candied orange peel comes to mind.

Sweet honey-like malt backed up by solid but not pounding bitterness that is in the vane of orange and grapefruit pith. When this warms much at all some solvent alcohol shows up and enhances the bitterness with orange oil and pepper components. This is a solid beer even after three months.

I'll concur with a review several people below me and say that the carbonation could use a boost. The prickle would help nucleate the lupulin goodness.

The warming is there and I find the exposed malt/honey profile pretty nice. I'm glad that I've at least gotten to try such a buzzed beer once, but couldn't justify the $16 plus sixer every season.

3.9/5  rDev -13.1%

Pours a nice orange-hue with a decent white head. Retention is poor but it laces well. Smells like spicy, citrus, lemon rid or something. The aroma isn't very powerful and I'm not sure if it's because the beer is a couple months old. Definitely has a decent hop bitterness bite, lacks in hop flavor. It's there but I'm not very impressed with it. The alcohol is subdued, which is nice and it has a nice mouthfeel and not too heavy in body. There is a balance of some malt sweetness there that helps out.

Overall, I think it's a hyped up beer and I definitely don't think it's worth the money. I also definitely don't think it lives up to the name "Hopslam".

3.9/5  rDev -13.1%

I don't know maybe it's just me.. I see it's gettin so much love.. "is it my palate or is it the beer?" that is the question... forget that "to be or not to be crap"... : )..

last year I just started falling in love with DIPAs and Hopslam blew me away... since then I've had my share.. drank some pliny's and sculpins.. i'll tell ya flower power is good stuff and holy crap nebco's gandhi-bot is unbelievable...

it didn't matter in a way i still wanted this stuff and couldn't wait to get it.. my man seplo from here moved away and sent some to me and smutty33.. neither of us is impressed. don't know if our palates changed or what.. it's not horrible... but i'm doin backflips.. to sweet.. where's the big hops?

3.9/5  rDev -13.1%

I really like this beer and in general it fall into my, I can't wait for this one to be released category every year. Very hop forward aromas and heavy sweet mouth-feel. No doubt the use of honey help boost the alcohol by volume to it's advertised and impressive 10%. As usual another great beer from Bell's!

3.9/5  rDev -13.1%

Copper in color with plentiful head.

Orange, lavender, pine resin and some strawberry in the nose. The aroma doesn't really entice me much. I find Two Hearted to much more appealing in the nose.

Big malty start that is overtaken with candy orange, mango, tobacco, floral/perfumey, and pine needle flavors. Some booze which was expected. Finishes very bitter with some residual sweetness. Nice flavors.

Medium-big mouthfeel with some carbonation bite. Nice DIPA but I think that prefer Bell's Two Hearted Ale. Still good and worth trying.

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.