Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 2,497
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,269 | Hads: 11,757
4.08/5  rDev -8.3%

Nice amber color with a foamy off white head. Lots of carbonation in the glass.
Aromas of orange zest, grapefruit and very mild pine stand out.
Taste follows the nose very close, with the addition of maybe baked bread. Sweet upfront followed by a piney, maybe tropical taste in the middle before its all washed away by a mild bitterness. Finishes semi-dry.
Overall: With a name like "Hopslam" I was expecting to have the top of my head blown clean off with an overabundance of hops. That was not the case. Instead, I found this beer to be sweet and bubbly and very mild in the hops department. Although this beer was very enjoyable from start to finish I was not slammed by any hops.
P.S. I also feel that with a $3.50 price tag per bottle this was my last "Hopslam".

4.99/5  rDev +12.1%

I was very skeptical if this beer was worth the price. I've gotten 12 dollar 4 packs before but a 25$ six pack seemed outrageous. I was wrong. I wish I would have bought a case.

It's smooth sweet and bitter. Very well balanced and the honey notes add so much to the overall experience. I was worried that at 10 abv there would be a harsher bite/warmth that I've wasn't a fan of with some other IPA's like Stones Enjoy By double IPA but that wasn't the case. I wish they brewed this year round.

3.87/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Really, an excellent beer. Not the powerful citrus aroma I've come to expected from the Two Hearted IPA, and the honey takes a slice out of the piney hops as well. These aren't exactly complaints, either. Great change of pace. I've had a bottle and draft pint in both Traverse City and San Diego, and I'm happy to report the beer met Bell's standard of quality in both parts of the country.

3.3/5  rDev -25.8%

All aboard, next stop hypeville. I wanted so badly to love this beer, I absolutely love bells. The color and aroma were nice, but for my personal taste the hop profile did not support the maltiness that was present. I expect some sweetness and malt given the abv but not at the expense of the hops. Oh well, still glad I was able to try it.

4.4/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

So here it is. Hopslam. Never tried before, but I get to try a 12 oz twice (due to a bottle limit, which at $5 per, may have been a good thing). Poured into a tulip glass. Bottled, or packaged, 1/9/2015.

A - Pours a clear, golden ruby orange, with a thin half finger head that moves quickly to a thin lace.

S - Dank hops, grapefruits, pine, grass, floracity.

T - Hops hit first, with a mid swig heat note, followed by a malty, honey sweet finish. The hops are strong, you get a touch of sea salt, but no onion, and is balanced enough to keep it from being over the top.

M - The carbonation seems above average, a spot sharp. It holds together well, and is neither thin or syrupy/sticky

O - Always tough to live up to the hype/expectations, seeing the ratings, the forum talk, etc..beforehand. I will say I was impressed, mainly about the balance, aroma, and that it stayed consistent through the whole glass. Certainly well made and worth a try.

4.77/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Tried this about a week afte bottling And my God was is delicious. Tons of resin and citrus just the way a DIPA should be. This might be my favorite DIPA.

4.62/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Well, I finally stumbled upon some "Hypeslam".

I was dubious as I took the first sip - wondering if the $3.50 I paid per bottle was too much (I only bought a couple, though).

Worth. Every. Penny. The smell is hoppy and has a slight tinge of alcohol to it, with a minute amount of fruitiness. The taste is very bitter then it dissipates quickly, leaving you with a fruity (grapefruit-esque?) flavor that dies down into a biscuity sort of taste. The back end is a nice warming sensation of alcohol, but not strong. Subtle, to the point where it's most enjoyable. I am not sure I could drink more than 2 of these a session, but I'll for sure get it again. I just may tomorrow, to stash away for the summer.

4.5/5  rDev +1.1%

Great beer. Slight citrus at the front of the palate with a full thick malt driven mouthfeel and finishes floral and piney. Overall i really enjoyed it; however I did find it to be slightly cloying. I wasn't expecting such a heavy malt presence in an IPA. My local distributors get very little and limit sales to one bottle per customer. This is the first year I was able to get my hands on it and scored two bottles from two different stores for $10. It's tasty but not worth the hype there are plenty of other shelf DIPAs that I enjoyed more.

4.03/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Quite good. I had this for the first time last year, as i was just starting to explore IPAs. It was too hoppy for me then, but I'm able to appreciate it much more now. The question is always whether it's worth all the hype. To some it is. Overall, I do like this beer, but I can get the same or more enjoyment from some beers that are less expensive. It is definitely a nice treat.

4.24/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L (4) -I like the orange/amber color of this. Kinda almost looks 'citrusy.'

S (4.25) - Nice hop smells here. Floral, citrus, delicious.

T (4.25) - Great Taste. A little sweet, but a good hop taste and malt presence. I do not get the boozy taste others are reporting.

F (4.25) -Nice carb, easy drinking.

O (4.25) - Overall a solid beer. I haven't had this one before, and it was (obviously) hyped for me. But it did not fall short. It is too expensive for what it is, but I still enjoy it.

4.31/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Very crisp and slightly sweet DIPA. Not what I was expecting but it's good. Mouthfeel is the best part of this beer. Taste is honey and caramel malts with light hoppy notes coming through in a resinous finish. Not as hop-forward as I would have expected. Very good but if I want a DIPA this usually isn't what I would reach for. Still good and very drinkable. Not worth the crazy hype though.

4.55/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

i think what this comes down to is the west coast vs east coast iipa thing. this beer, in my book, is the best example of an east coast iipa. the hops may star in the west coast version, but the malt plays a much bigger role here as compared to a west coast iipa. the hops are big, piney and resinous. but the malt is sweet with a huge mouthfeel and just delicious. i love both styles, but this is one of the best.

4.58/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I tried this once long ago and I figured I would review it now with a fresh one.

A - Nice amber-orange color. Pretty clear with fine white head and strong lacing.

S - Hop bomb with a mix of citrus, herbal, and resiny tones. Has a sweet candy like hop fragrance that is nice but is somewhat muddled compared to some DIPAs out there.

T - Full flavored with a pungent hop character that has citrus, resin, herb, and some fruit with alcohol and malt to round it out. There is a distinct honey flavor that compliments the strong bitterness but is definitely hop forward. Definitely a bitter hop bite but I relish in the hops.

M - Very full mouth-feel with good carbonation. Very thick for an IIPA and the honey definitely adds a lot of body along with the sweetness and the amount of resin doesn't make it any lighter. Pretty much the anti-light pilsner beer.

Overall, a very good DIPA. Great appearance, smell, and flavor but does have substantial bitterness and is very thick so it might not be the best beer for your first DIPA. This brew is not a light beer but if you like big, resiny, and complex beer I'd recommended it. Like I remember it is mostly bitter and pretty thick so I think it is slightly over hyped but a delicious beer none the less.

Glass- Tulip

3.75/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2015 vintage, poured into a snifter. I get some of the honey in the aroma. Beer is overly bitter and malty. If this beer was a little lighter I would like it much more

4.95/5  rDev +11.2%

FINALLY got a chance to try Hopslam after missing out on it the last couple years. All I can say is that is DEFINITELY lives up to the hype! Such a complex, delicious, hop bomb. I wish I could find it more often. Highly recommended.

This has been hoppier in the past, but I'm going to let it slide this year. This is the only IPA that really delivers for me, aside from Palate Wrecker. If I could take this beer to bed, I'd divorce my sweet, MPDG wife and live happily ever after even if it means I don't get any more hand-knit orange socks. All jokes aside, (are they jokes, really?) this is pretty much my go-to, so it's a good thing my local beer spot has me on speed-dial and saved me 6 cases.
Fire is hot, ice is cold, Hopslam is IT.

4.89/5  rDev +9.9%

Went with the hype and spent $20 for a six pack. Expected to be underwhelmed. First sip almost brought out my O face. You know what I'm talking about. Excellent all around.

4.4/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - Golden orange, yellow hues. Hazy floating sediments, unfiltered. Pillowy, cloud-like white frothy head.
Aroma - Slight pine, big grapefruit, some citrus and tropical fruits mixed in as well. Nice bitterness, but an undeniable underlying sweetness...honey and sugar.
Taste - Huge bitterness smacks you in the face, grapefruit puckering bitterness. Citrus notes, and some piney hops as well. Wonderful syrupy sweet malts underneath, sugary and delicious honey and light brown sugar.
Feel - Medium mouthfeel, but fairly full for an IPA, it drinks heavy. Moderate carbonation.
Overall - Awesome beer to try, they do a good job of striking a balance here w/ the hops still taking center stage and extremely powerful. Love the sweet contrast. Excellent, excellent beer.

4.23/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A great DIPA, lives up to the hype. Very refined, not in your face tart like many IPAs. Has a lingering sweetness from the honey. Very smooth consistency with fine carbonation like a great champagne. Bouquet is very fresh, but not very floral, and aroma is not the highlight of this one. But the taste is so smooth I can't believe its 10% abv. Very impressive beer and you can just tell the quality is special.

4.21/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I had this once or twice last year, but my first of this year was much better than I expected or remembered. Booze is completely hidden for such an ass-kicker, smell is sweet and citrusy in the bottle. Taste is balanced with hints of honey and a smooth finish. Really this is a superb brew and I wish it was just a little easier to track down in NY (I've scrambled around to 3 or 4 places this week to grab 5 bottles - hopefully more coming soon. A buddy of mine was able to grab a 6 pack but most stores are selling them 1 or 2 bottles at a time). Worth the effort once a year!

When I read "made with honey" I expected a sweet, heavy drink. What I got was a well rounded crisp flavor that was light on the tongue. The honey accented the hops exquisitely creating a balanced flavor with a nice slightly sweet, citrus flavor, without an overpowering after taste.

4.69/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Into my Whole Foods Pint.

A: Pours a clear dark honey hold color that's beautiful, but the small head and little retention let me down a bit.

S: Complex, notes of fruit, grapefruit and pears up front. I also detect honey, a strong hop smell, and alcohol. Excellent.

T: The honey and fruits balance out the hops amazingly well. Rich in fruit flavor, honey, piney hops. Definitely a high ABV beer.

M: Quite balanced and light on the tongue given what it is. Extremely fresh.

An amazing offering.

4.91/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

As opposed to the fruity double IPAs of the West Coast (particularly California) the genius of this beer is not IMMEDIATELY apparent. At first, yes it is good, a lot of bitterness up front, sweet from the honey and the malt. As it warms (and I would advise to drink this from the start at room temperature. Don't even chill it slightly) so much pops! The fruit is pineapple and it appears at the back end of the taste like right before the beer goes down my throat. And then it stays and says what's up! Then from there, yes GENIUS. It's like I'm listening to a symphony and hearing for the first time all of the intricate parts and timbres. Same with this beer. It's like an intellectual beer. I'm constantly thinking about what I'm tasting and what flavor combinations are there. Highly recommend for those that appreciate the more subtle things in a German beer. This might be the Double IPA for you. Worth the hype.

4.22/5  rDev -5.2%

Smells like hoppy citrus goodness. But the taste isn't anything like the smell. Initial taste is hoppy with a hint of over ripe loquats. For being 10%, the alcohol is well hidden. I don't really know what the hype is about but it's good, not world class but good

4.18/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Apricot/amber, very clear. Boozy, sweet DIPA with some alcohol heat balanced nicely by very piney hops. It's not a crushable beer, meant to be sipped clearly. Reminds me a bit of Sixpoint Resin. I enjoyed it quite a bit, even though I tend to like cleaner malt profiles and less booze in my IPAs. Glad I sought it out.

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.