Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 2,176
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
4.41/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle > Chimay Challice

A - Golden orange with a finger of white soapy head, nice medium lacing.
S - Huge honey and orange, some peach, grape, pine, grapefruit, sweet smelling malt.
T - Lots of honey and orange like the aroma, a little mango, some more classic pine and floral bitterness in the end, candy like malt.
M - Strong but still smooth because of the honey, well balanced for its power, a little sticky.
O - Excellent IPA, but lets be clear Its value exceeds its worth, its definitely a great IPA, but the price is too steep to justify a case of it anymore, heck even looking for a case is not worth the effort.
Also, I refused to review this beer last year because of how awful the 13 batch was. It was overly bitter and abrasive, tons of alcohol power and no honey. I'm glad 14 is a return to form, but the 2012 batch will remain my favorite of all time.

4.7/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Color is honey gold, and I can see some gossamer of unfiltered goodness in the center of the glass. This isn't the best tasting DIPA I've had, but it might crack the top 3. The charm for me is in the honey - it's such a great and unique spin. After my first bottle, I smelled the empty glass some time later and it smelled so much of honey. It's really present in the flavor as well, it's great. I can just barely detect the alcohol on the first sip and after that it's gonzo - THAT'S what makes this beer so impressive from a technical standpoint. This is also the beer that taught me what it means for a beer to have a creamy mouthfeel - I could just let this one roll around on my tongue for days.

I'm glad this beer only comes around once a year - if it were always available, I'd either take it for granted, or spend WAY too much money on beer. Yes it's overpriced but I'm not here to review the economics of it - I'm here for the ale. Makes a fantastic occasional treat.

Do I like Abrasive more than Hopslam? Probably - but I can really only do one Abrasive at a time before it just gets to be too much for me... Hopslam is dangerously smooth - I could drink a lot of these.

4.81/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: pours a beautiful orange/ amber color with a small amount of head that disappears into a Lacey remnant.

S: the citrus of the hop makes for a very pleasant aroma. There is a sense of the honey.

N: there is a bit of hop citrusy-ness up front, but vanishes very quickly.

M: there is a slickness to the beer. It is overall medium bodied with a smooth finish.

T: the citrus hop starts, but leaves quickly. The majority of the taste is this smooth, bitter/sweet combination that is truly amazing. The finish is very smooth. Not much maltiness at all, which for me, is a huge plus. The alcohol is well hidden especially considering the hop is not as pronounced as other DIPAs.

O: this is really one of my favorite beers. Admittedly, I've not had either of the Pliney's or heady topper, but comparing to other DIPAs it's amazing! I would prefer a little more grapefruit hoppiness ala sculpin, but really love the minimal maltiness that I don't really like in beers like DFH 90 minute.

4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

2.98/5  rDev -33.6%

I look forward this ale every year and while the appearance and pour hinted of its usual, solid taste and finish, I was very disappointed with the batch this year.

The initial taste was underwhelming and it finished like wet cardboard - having to wait a year something I will no longer do especially while other craft brewers are brewing theirs regularly and not have their sit through a pretentious wait...I'd rather spend the extra money and have some Myrcenary from Odell's shipped to me.

Sorry Bell's, my group of friends and I were sadly disappointed. Good luck.

4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

2.25/5  rDev -49.9%

4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.