Join our email list →

Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 2,581
Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Michigan, United States | website

American Double / Imperial IPA | 10.00% ABV

Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,300 | Hads: 11,939
4.27/5  rDev -3.8%

I had this on tap in St Louis at a pizza joint. It poured beautifully with about an 1.5' of head with OK lacing. The smell was hops, pine, and citirus and lasted well after the initial few sips. It really had a wonderful aroma that lasted well through the first half of the pint. Taste was close to smell - citrus and hops with a clean dry finish. It did not have a strong alcohol taste familiar with lesser IPAs and that would normally tire the pallet. It was a well carbonated beer with good drinkability. The pine/citrusy taste would be a little over-powering after more than a couple.

I would definitely need to have this again. Would be great with something spicey - crawfish or chicken wings.

4.62/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

First time having this hyped beer -- picked it up right after it hit town. Bellsbeer.com Batch Finder indicates my batch -- 9501 -- was bottled on Dec. 30. I'm drinking on Jan. 15.

A: Poured into a Founders pint, it's a bright orange-honey color with a slightly pillowy head that leaves good lacing throughout.

S: Hard to beat this in the DIPA category. I've heard folks call this "Four-Hearted," as in, a doubled version of Bell's Two-Hearted. The nose makes the best argument for this. It's like the pineapple and orange aromas from the Two-Hearted are amplified here. Really huge citrus-fruit aromas. Lovely.

T: If I didn't know there was honey brewed into this beer, I'd realize it right now. Instead of being walloped by hops or alcohol, the first wave over the mouth is a clean honey sweetness, which goes a long way in preparing the mouth from the hop onslaught that's coming. The hop bitterness comes out big time, and then the honey reveals itself again on the finish.

M: Good carbonation -- beer feels neither creamy nor prickly in the mouth.

D: Incredibly drinkable for a 10% DIPA. Wow. You definitely couldn't polish off a six-pack in one night (if you do, bravo), but you can easily down one or two of these quickly before realizing you just had a hop bomb that's packing 10% abv.

4.92/5  rDev +10.8%

A: Poured into a snifter it yielded a small, wispy head. Beautiful golden color with a slight amber tinge.

S: Grapefruit dominates, giving way to a multitude of citrus, pineapple, and honey smell with a hint of pine.

T: Follows the smell, with a ton of grapefruit up front with a nice amount of bitterness. While this beer is infinitely hoppy, it is very well balanced with the honey sweetness.

M: Slightly syrupy with crisp carbonation from ultrafine bubbles. Like a subdued version of fine champagne.

D: This beer is dangerously drinkable for 10% alcohol. It is very smooth, and I would have no problem drinking several, though I may regret it come the following morning.

Overall, this beer is my favorite double IPA to date.(Admittedly I'm pretty young) It follows the character of the Two Hearted Ale which is probably my favorite standard American IPA with citrus-hop dominating the smell and taste. Overall, this is an excellent DIPA.

4.67/5  rDev +5.2%

A: Dark orange in color. Thin, lacy head that sticks to the glass but disappears before long.

S: Smells very sweet because of the honey, but also strong scent of hops and other citrus flavors.

T: Perfect balance of sweet honey and hoppy bitterness throughout the entire sip. The high ABV is hidden very well in this delicious beer.

M: Coats the mouth, but not overbearing. Smooth and drinkable for such a strong beer.

O: For me, this beer was well worth the hype. I noticed a serious difference between fresh Hopslam and anything over a month old. The quality through its life is often debated, but I preferred it as fresh as possible.

4.75/5  rDev +7%

a: Hazy honey color with light carbonation and a half-finger of white head
s: Floral with honey and a citrus backdrop
t: Pitch perfect hops, none too much of anything, balanced piney resin with citrus. Honey is not overpowering, subtle in the background and almost closer to beeswax. Lingering hops.
m: A little too thin, almost satiny.
d: Traded for this six from halfway across the country, and it is well worth it. A extremely well balanced iipa with just the right hops in just the right places.

4.47/5  rDev +0.7%

2x 12 oz bottle poured into snifter. One bottle poured and drank at a time. Both bottles finished within an hour.

A - A nice golden honey color. Thick foam head after pouring that capped quickly. Maintained a nice light head through out the entire drinking experience.

S: The nose is extremely sharp on this beer, as it should be. The hops hit you right away. Really the smell of this beer is great. This is the best smelling hopped up beer I have experienced thus far.

T: For me, this beer is all about the finish: the taste you are left with after you swallow. I get the malts going into it. Right after swallowing the hops bite in. Its great.

M - Surprisingly light. Leaves a very thin, nice film on the tongue, that holds the taste, and dissipates shortly after swallowing. Feels great going down.

D: Dangerously drinkable. For 10.00 ABV you sure can't taste it. I finished my two bottles with ease. It sneaks up on you too. I didn't notice it until I stood up from the bar :)

This is definitely a nice beer. This is the first really hyped beer I have tried (I haven't tried Pliny, Dark Lord, etc yet) so I really can't say if it lives up to all the threads or not. I can say, that it is very enjoyable and worth trying. That's for sure.

Best wishes

4.08/5  rDev -8.1%

12 oz. Bottle into a snifter.

A- love the deep gold color with a one finger head that leaves a solid lace trail.

S- an uppercut of hops right away that turns into citrus. Honey is also detectable.

T- bitter bite from first sip that is balanced slightly with the malt. Citrus and alcohol both somewhat detectable.

M- medium carbonation makes this one smooth across the palate.

O- glad I bought the sixer. I will not be sharing.

Absolutely amazing beer! Can't say enough. Now I know why every time I walk into a bar they make it a point to tell me they have Hopslam in bottles. Heard it went out in Kickbacks Gastropub in less than a day! On the top of my favorites list right behind Sweetwater IPA!

4.79/5  rDev +7.9%

Appearance - Beautiful crystal clear copper. I poured it pretty conservatively so there wasn't a great deal of head. Nice lacing.

Aroma - Loads of ripe citrus fruits, resin and pine as well. Also got a hint of sweetness on the back end from the honey.

Taste - Follows the aroma almost identically. Sticky citrus and pine. Very light malts and a very light hint of semi sweet honey. Probably the most pleasantly tasting bitter beer I've ever had.

Feel - Fairly carbonated and sticky.

4.57/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Its now been 3 weeks since Bells started distribution on Long island and ive been able to get 2 six packs already at 20$ a pop. Alot of complaints from the local beverage distributors about the lack of Hopslam ie (1 case per delivery) of course i always have a reservation on all the hard to gets though.

This beer definetly lives up to the hype. Probably one of the most refined DIPA i have ever had. From start to finish this beer has a mouthfeel like no other. i do believe the alcohol is a little overwhelming but im attributing this to being a few weeks old and lossing a bit of its hop character. All and all i enjoyed this very much and found it to be a very refined DIPA but probably could of been slightly more balanced.

4.71/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Amazing hop flavor with a slight honey taste on the back-end. Smell can be slightly off, but flavor and feel are on point. Probably the best Double IPA you can get. Limited release makes it all the more special. My father in-law sends me a 6 pack or two every year, he lives nearby where its brewed, and it is always a treat.

EVERY YEAR I LOOK FORWORD TO THIS BEER. ANY TIME ONE BOTTLE HAS THE SAME AMOUNT OF HOPS THAT SIX CASES OF BUD DOES THAT IS A GOOD BEER. THIS YEARS HAS A SOFT PINE AROMA WITH A HINT OF HONEY. THE TASTE HAS A RICH GRAPEFRUIT AND ACIDIC FLAVOR. IT HAS A HAZY APPERANCE IN THE GLASS, BUT THE TASTE IS SMOOTH.

4.89/5  rDev +10.1%

Just picked up a case of this amazing brew. I got one six pack last year (it's a limited release) and loved every sip. When I went back to get more, it was gone!

The appearance is nothing to write home about--a little lighter than Bell's Two Hearted (another favorite of mine)--an attractive dark peach color with a small, cream head.

The beer smells amazing. As you pour it, wafts of spicy citrus make themselves known even at two feet's distance. Stick your nose into the glass and you're rewarded with a wonderful bouquet of candied grapefruit and orange. It is deep and intense. Bell's should make this beer into a scented candle.

This is when you realize it's gonna be good.

Taste is like biting into a sweet, juicy grapefruit. Unlike other hoppy beers, Hopslam has a strong malt backbone that balances out the bitterness of the hops. They are balanced in such a way that it not only hides the 10% ABV, but makes it extremely delicious!

Mouthfeel is not too thick and contributes positively to the drinkability. It feels only slightly thicker than the Two Hearted in my mouth.

The drinkabliity on this beer is off the charts. I would guess it 6-8% as opposed to 10. Most 10% beers have a substantial alcohol twang in the aftertaste but this has none. That fact, combined with it's deceiving mouthfeel, will always make you drink this brew too fast!

If you love hops you will absolutely fall in love with this beer and the great balance it achieves.

4.67/5  rDev +5.2%

On tap in my garage ;-).

Appearance: Pours a beautiful straw color. Care taken not to agitate the keg and kick up the yeast. Nice head and great lacing on my bubble mug.

Smell: hops, hops and more hops. Usual citrus notes for an IIPA

Taste: How can I describe this wonderful brew. It lives up to its name. Hops are in your face upfront. Grapefruit and other citrus notes follow and then the honey sweetness takes over. Finish is the alcohol burn that reminds you of the 10 percent alcohol level.

Mouthfeel: smooth with a dry finish that reminds me of other Bells products.

Drinkability: I try to session this puppy but my wife is getting upset with me stumbling around the house after a few. You just can't drink this beer as you would like.

Hopslam is by far the best IIPA out there; bar none. I'm moving to Dallas and will miss being able to drive to KY to pick this up early in the year. I just hope that Bells distributes into TX sometime soon

4.5/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured into a Perfect Pint glass. Has a 3 finger head won't budge! Extremely billowly. As soon as I started pouring I thought Wow, this smells like honeysuckle. Very fresh and moist. Nice.

Semi-clear golden color. Bubbles steadily rising to the top, but not over active.

At first taste, I have a hard time believing this one is 10%. It hides it extremely well. The bitterness, although very high, isn't unpleasant at all. It's got enough of a malt presence to not make it entirely one sided. The honey is there, but very very subtle. It adds a nice touch and I'm glad they didn't go too crazy with it.

Drank this one with my beer-chili and it was faaaantastic. Overall a very drinkable 10% DIPA. Marvelous.

4.67/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

At the Flying Pig in Malvern, PA.

Quite nearly a perfect beer. 12 oz goblet pour. Beautiful, thick golden color. Amazing head.

Had all of the great aspects of a special beer: taste, mouth feel, smell. There's really no need to go on and on...I think I've made my point.

The best summary may have come from my wife who's watching what she eats/drinks...."Wow, maybe I should cancel my BLT and order one of those"!

4.85/5  rDev +9.2%

HopSlam is a very nice combination of flavors. Instantly you notice the extreme hoppy character and then it mellows off into a sweeter honey flavor. I compair all IPA's to Dogfish 90 min, as being from Milton, DE that is the standard. It would be a nice compliment to a 90 min. Slightly hoppier than the 90 min. and a lot sweeter ending. Overall a very drinkable beer, and I enjoyed every drop.

4.6/5  rDev +3.6%

Served in a tulip at Jaks Tap.

A: Cloudy orange with a dense white head that sticks around and leaves ample lacing.

S: Loads of tropical fruit and sweet citrus, tangerine, and a little bit of pine. Very juicy and appetizing.

T: This beer is all about the hops. Lots of tropical fruit, more tangerine, moderate bitterness, and sweet maltiness and honey in the finish.

M: Heavy mouthfeel and a little sticky.

D: An excellent DIPA. It's a little sweet fort taste, but I would love to have another.

4.97/5  rDev +11.9%

I have only had this wonderful beer on tap. Not complaining, the best way to get it if you can.
The beer was poured in a classic Imperial Pint glass. The color was golden amber with a hint of a cherry color hue with a thick creamy head that clings to the glassware.

The smell is what I would describe as addictive. I wish I could find a candle to burn that smells as hoppy and complex as this brew. The beer smells of citrus and grapefruit with a nice whiff of sweetness.

The taste is so balanced of grapefruit, citrus, and honey. It has deep body and malty balance to blend with the herbal overtones.

The mouth has a feel of something so flavorful, balanced, and lightly carbonated that you want to hold it there forever. But swallowing does allow you to have a second pint!

It is hard to believe that this brew can be 10.2% alcohol. It is masterfully balanced and easy to drink. The aroma and feel are so wonderful that you can keep drinking. BE CAREFUL, it will sneak up on you because the alcohol is so "disguised" by the artistry within.

4.69/5  rDev +5.6%

Bought this at Lone Hill Liquors

Wow, I really did enjoy this beer. This is so far second to only Pliny the Younger on my list of DIPAs. Can't taste the honey, but the hops; wow.

A: Dark golden color

S: oh yeah, I love these hops. Tons of grapefruit.

T: Very nicely balanced hoppy beer. Yummy.

M: Nice weight but not heavy; good carbonation. head didn't last.

D: Easy to drink 10%. I could down this stuff...

4.37/5  rDev -1.6%

This was a new one for me. I hadn't had a distributed beer from a cask before. The nose had a very fresh floral hop aroma. The color was a nice gold to amber with a slight haze. The taste was mild bitterness huge grapefruit and smooth finish. It is a great lounge/den beer when you have time to just sit back and enjoy the glass. Velvet Grapefruit....

4.32/5  rDev -2.7%

The elusive HopSlam, we finally meet again. It has been too long, since our last encounter and yet it is a new rendezvous as this is our first time in a bottle. Now, I divulge.

A- Poured into a pint glass and yields a finger thick head. It is golden with a small trace of sediment floating about.

S- From the time it hits the glass I knew that this would be a pleasant experience as the smells erupt into the room. A strong smell of grapefruit, piney, and floral hops are apparent in the nose, one of the better hop aromas known to man in this one.

T- Alright, the nose of this beer is not at all deceiving as the flavor explodes on the tongue with an initial grapefruit/citrus flavor followed by a piney and slightly resinous aspect. I would not quite say that this is balanced by its somewhat sweet characteristics, but these are present. After a couple minutes of taking a sip, the bitter, resinous hop flavor is still there. This is a treat for the tongue.

M- The mouthfeel is nice for this beer. After not taking any sips for a few minutes, there is certainly that sticky feel that I do appreciate that comes from a more balanced IPA. Not extremely dry.

D- It is somewhat surprising that this beer is 10%. This is a beer that would definitely creep up on me. I could have at least 2 of these, but I'm sure that I could go further.

Excellent beer. Forget what the haters say, get you some HopSlam, be happy, this reminds me how good a DIPA can be.

4.5/5  rDev +1.4%

Excellent beer. Found it the Capital Ale House in Richmond,VA, Church Key in Washington DC, and am enjoying one right now at Mellow Mushroom in Winston-Salem. Surprised to still find it this late in the year. Waitress says they have an extra one for sometime next week...maybe.

A must! Too lazy to post specifics but it is definitely in my top 5 beers. Pineapple and Grapefruit in the smell and taste and bitterness is just right.

4.85/5  rDev +9.2%

I was so excited when my neighbor pulled this out of the fridge and was kind enough to share!!! Overall a delish beer - I am not a huge fan of IPAs or VERY hoppy beers, but this one was by far the best that I have tasted (compared to Surly Furious and Bell's Two Hearted....)

A - A golden beautiful tone - orangey, yet light

S - The smell is definately powerful on this one! You can almost taste the beer by smelling it. Amazing!

T - VERY hoppy - thus the name HopSlam - suits it well.

M - smooth, yet bubbly

D - This beer will knock you down if you are not ready for it - can only have about one, overall a crisp, wonderful beer!!!

4.92/5  rDev +10.8%

HopSlam is one of the best double IPA's around

A: golden in color, great lacing and bubbles.

S: Hops, Grapefruit,

T: Love the hops

M: not too thick, not too thin

I have waited for this beer to be released and the wait is well worth it.

Drank from a tulip (duvel) glass

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.