Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 2,391
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,260 | Hads: 11,639
4.51/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Picked this up the other day while looking for a different beer. Saw the $18.99 price tag and figured it had to be good. It was. the touch of honey is just great, such a nice beer. Very smooth and not overly hoppy. very satisfied. I think its only a spring beer so better get it when you can. (292 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured into 16oz Ball Mason jar.

I recently tasted this against "Loose Cannon", "Raging Bitch", & "Aprihop". Each have their place and Bell's Hopslam stood out as a the best of the group. The group all agreed that isn't wasn't so wild an IPA that most IPA drinkers couldn't handle it. I'm happy knowing that I can stock the fridge with this (when I can find it) and everyone will be happy! (397 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Ok, I know this review is in spring but for a winter seasonal, sue me. Wonderful pour with a frothy head bubbles throughout. Golden amber tint to the pour. Smell is a bit of citrus but you can't avoid tears from the hoppiness(good thing). Taste almost mimics the smell extremely hoppy finish with a citrus undertone. Sits on the tounge well. Overall a great beer and I am glad it lived up to the hype. (401 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Hopslam (2014)- the first Hopslam release I have had. I heard last years was better but anyways...

A- Golden, light brown. Caramel is probably the best color description though

S- More malty and sweet that piney and tropical, overall balanced between malt and hops.

T- Very slight carbonation fizz and sweet hops come through on the from end. Aftertaste is slightly bitter, dry, piney and hoppy.

MF- Not too familiar with mouth feel describing words yet, in between a water and milk consistency, full bodied.

O- It's a very drinkable and balanced DIPA I must admit. I used to never like IPAs, but I am really starting to enjoy them now. This is a great DIPA if you can get your hands on it. BUT IF YOU CAN'T, DON'T FEEL LIKE YOU ARE MISSING OUT. This beer (at least this years Hopslam) is not worth $20 for a 6pk. I lean towards the less sweet, more hoppy, piney, and citrusy IPAs (Victory Dirtwolf and Great Lakes Chillwave for example) and this 2014 Hopslam didn't quite make me fall in love with it. If I can get next years bottle I would be very happy, but if not, that's fine. There are thousands of more beers worth a $20 price tag more than Hopslam. (1,163 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -7.9%

Pleasant to drink, however, not what I was expecting based off of the high demand. Taking into account the price, I can't see myself searching this beer out to drink again. (173 characters)

4.4/5  rDev -1.1%

Finally picked up this case after coveting it for about 6 months. Got home and poured one after a short cool in the fridge. A bit more bitter than i had expected, but this beer is exceptional. Great beer for fans of Pliny, Dreadnaught, 90/120 min IPA. Great beer! (263 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -6.3%

Knew this was rare, but witnessing the want of this is unbelievable. People lined in DROVES at beer fests and reservations were needed at every store that would carry it, haha. Anyway:

[A:] Light golden, like a honey lemon almost. From the name alone I was expecting an amber or darker, so a surprise when it was poured.

[S:] Fruits all over the place (not really surprising). Every citrus you could think of with a hint of honey in the middle.

[T:] A close to perfection balance of sweet to bitter I think. Fruits and the honey really shine.

[M:] No viscosity or heaviness to it at all.

[D:] Packs a punch if you aren't careful so i'd recommend two at the most. But after one it gets you hooked. Started a little bitter but finished with a sweet aftertaste. (764 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +4.3%

Honestly, this is my favorite beer. I was introduced to it early in my beer drinking career and still love it.

A: poured into a 0.4l pilsner glass. Head depends on the pour, aggressive pour results in a beautiful head, normal pour results in a minimal head, common to my experience with other IPAs. Rich golden color. Nice and clear if you can avoid getting the yeast in the glass.

S: To me, this beer smells happy. One whiff and all of the trials of a long day disappear and I relax into a semi-solid blob. I'd pay a lot for an air-freshener with this smell.

T: The happy doesn't end with the smell. Beautiful flavor of hops, balanced with a sweetish finish. I've found no other IPA to have this flavor, which is depressing since it is such a limited release. The bottle says "brewed with honey," so I'm guessing that's the secret.

M: Very full mouthfeel. A bit bruising if you aren't used to the hops.

D: Exceptional for a double IPA. Not something you can slam, but with this quality, you want it to last.

I've had early release bottles, post release bottles (the liquor store stockpiles it) and tap, all are exceptional. (1,130 characters)

After trying soooo many beers on the best of BA list and being disappointed time after time by the hype, FINALLY there's a beer that blows my mind.

A: Pours a beautiful amber color with a 2 or 3 fingers of head.

S: Jesus. I don't know if it's the honey or what but this beer's smell is indescribable. It's similar to the smell of Nugget Nectar, only more intense and a bit sweeter.

T: "Tastes just like it smells....DELICIOUS" - Dave Chappelle. Unbelievable blend of hoppiness and sweetness, with almost no alcohol burn at all. As close to beer perfection as I've ever tasted.

M: Just the right amount of body. It's not so thin that you're wondering if you're drinking dasani with food coloring in it, but it's not so thick that you feel like you just liquified a turkey.

D: 10 percent?? Are you kidding? It drinks like a session beer, and as such is quite dangerous.

Overall, the best beer I've ever had period. I'm a mid atlantic guy, so my craft beer foray began with Troegs. Nugget Nectar was my mecca, and this just expands on everything that was.

Well done. (1,072 characters)

4.45/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Light gold in color with an orange tint. Pretty decent head which dissipates into a lasting layer of bubbles. A little lacing too.

Aroma starts with a bit of pungent hop and floweryness. Strong scent of candied citrus fruits - lots of pineapple and orange. Very sweet and perfumy smelling. If the aroma was a bit stronger it would be a 5.

Huge amount of hops in the tasted. Very balanced and refined; the bitterness is never harsh. Strong pineapple note with a general tropical flavor and a good amount of grapefruit. Hop floweryness throughout too. Interesting sweetness from the honey, though it doesn't taste explicitly like honey (makes me think of candied apple). A little pine in there too. Alcohol is noticeable but embraced. It's fantastic, and very complex

Carbonation is good, and the thickness is right for this IIPA. Immensely drinkable. Even with the strength and boldness of Hopslam, I could easily put a few down, more so than most 'regular' brews. (967 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +10.1%

Had this on tap at the great Brass Rail Beverage. Literally had the first 2 drafts off of a fresh tap thanks to Cisco.

A: Pours a beautiful yellow/orange color with a fluffy white head and fantastic lacing throughout the tasting.

S: maybe the best smelling draft beer ever...you can pick up on the hops, with delicious pine and citrus odors as well as the solid sweet malt and honey background.

T: In a word, incredible. Pine and citrus hops up front with an absolutely perfectly balanced malt and honey sweetened background that makes this DIPA balanced in every sense of the word.

Overall; this is the best IPA/DIPA I've ever had on draft without a shadow of a doubt. The 10% ABV is well-hidden. Hopslam is pefectly balanced and well worthy of its hype and praise...Fantastic in every aspect. Again, certainly in my mind and taste buds the best IPA/DIPA I've ever had on draft. (884 characters)

Since drinking this dbl IPA, I have been on a quest to find even more. Being in Michigan has helped but my sources are drying up. IMO - This beer is exactly what a double IPA should deliver from the initial aroma thru to the lingering finish.

Luckly, I found 2 cases at a local beer store this weekend. (5/10). That should hold me over for a while. (350 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +3.8%

Tried this beer for the first time this year at D's Six Pax and Dogz in Pittsburgh, I was thrilled to find it there on tap. Arrived at the table a beautiful golden orange with nice lacing on the pint glass. The nose is so tremendous, I just had to share it with those sitting at the table with me, and all agreed - very hoppy and floral, with notes of fruit, especially pineapple. The taste didn't disappoint, with a great deal of fruity hops on the tongue right off the bat. Finishes off so smoothly that you'd never know about the high ABV. Feels smooth and creamy in the mouth, extreme drinkability - enough so that I immediately went next door to buy a whole case for the fridge. Always look forward to the release of this beer. (732 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +7.4%

This was a great beer while it lasted... we got a very small keg at my local bar and loved every last minute of it... I won't get into the details as there are PLENTY of other reviews... however, I will say this: for 10%, it is ridiculously drinkable...

If you like hops, this one is for you... it is a delicious and super hoppy... you will also know that you just drank something that was more than a regular beer in alcoholic percentage... however, you want another... the taste is strong of citrus and hops (of course) and I couldn't help but want more...

Get this one every chance you get... equally good in the bottle as it is on tap... (645 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +1.6%

batch #8912 poured bottle into a tulip.

served @ 62* (almost room temp)

nice 1" head of off-white color that lasted 3 minutes. beautiful rich copper color with a nice haze.

instant pineapple/grapefruit smell. alcohol hidden well, but the nose lets ya know something wicked this way comes. taste is strong with pineapple and very warming going down. malty sweetness lasts a long time... mmmm. every lil' burp is so tasty... makes ya want more.
high alcohol so tread carefully.

love it. (490 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +10.6%

Appearance: Golden w/ a thick head when poured. Lacing on the glass was apparent following consumption.

Smell: Citris (Grapefruit - amazing) and honey.

Taste: Grapefruit, hops, malts and honey.

Mouthfeel: Light carbonation, sticky in a sense.

Drinkability: Very smooth for a D-IPA. Very drinkable. (301 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +2.2%

Smell: very fruity hint of grapefruit and peach. slight malt biscuit

Taste: nicely balanced. hop flavor throughout. slight bitterness. slight alcohol taste going down

Mouthfeel: medium body mild carbonation

Drinkability: exceptional very high for such a large beer (268 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +7.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Batch # 9471.

A - Golden orange with little head and a ton of lacing.

S - Citrus fruits dominated by grapefruit.

T - I was expecting to be knocked out by the bitterness, but Bell's did an amazing job of balancing it out with honey. Still, a "tongue bruiser" as the label states. A lot of the citrus comes through midway through, with the bitterness coming at the end.

M - Decent balance, but I can't hold this one on the tongue too long.

D - As many others have stated, the alcohol is well hidden and the beer does not come off as boozy.

I've drank 2 so far out of my 6 pack. Both times I had planned on drinking two, and both times had to switch to something else after drinking one. It's delicious, but so hardcore that one bottle will do you. (792 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +9%

If I could review this beer with one word, it would be "Sweetjesus!"

A- It has an opaque orange/gold color with little head and very little lacing

S- Hops, hops, honey, hops, grapefruit, hops.

T- A very bitter, yet pleasant, taste with citrus and hops galore. Honey wasn't as dominant as I expected.

M- Aggressive hops! I felt like they were assaulting the innards of my mouth. Side note, perfect carbonation.

D- Very, very drinkable for a %10.00 ABV double-IPA. Still tough to drink a few in one sitting. Slow down and enjoy it! (535 characters)

4.41/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Had been looking forward to this beer for several months and was able to find it at a Whole Foods in my area. The store kept this beer in their backroom with strict limits per customer. Now I know why.

Great pour with noticeable head. Slightly hazy caramel color.

Immediate strong hops presence and followed by slightly sweet after taste.

Hints of banana and caramel.

Waited a long time for this one and was not disappointed. I should have found a way to buy more since now it appears I have to wait till next year for more. (529 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -7.4%

I am a big IPA fan and I feel that this is one you have to get your hands on. Obviously, it has a huge amount of hops but it has enough of a citrus note to dull down some of the bitterness and add a bit more complexity to the beer. Perfect porch beer on a summer day. (267 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +4.5%

Worthy of the hype. One of the best APA/IPA/DIPA/Imperial IPA/however you want to classify it.

A little on the sweet side for a 10% ABV, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Honey, nutty, citrusy...a beautiful blend of hops. I wouldn't drink more than 2 of these at a time, although you easily could.

The price and availability are obvious downfalls. I think it's ridiculous to pay $19 for a 6-pack (going rate around here, if you even had a chance to buy), but I realize this is a blossoming business, so obviously breweries are going to take advantage of the opportunity. Great beer in small quantities from a highly reputable brewery= upcharge a forgone conclusion.

With that being said, I'll drink this beer as much as I can when it's available. (758 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +10.1%

Beautiful amber color with a medium head, good head retention and lacing.

Smell is absolutely phenomenal. This is the best smelling beer I've ever had. Floral, citrusy, piney, and those hops definitely are pronounced. Absolutely wonderful.

The taste is the best aspect of this beer. It's definitely bold, but not overwhelming. The hops are hard-hitting, but again not overwhelming. It has some bitterness, but it is a good bitterness. Unbelievably well-balanced.

The drinkability is the only thing I can mark this beer down a bit for. But that's not to say it's bad, it's quite great. It's unbelievably drinkable for a hoppy double IPA. Not the most drinkable beer out there, but very drinkable nonetheless.

Overall, the best beer I've ever had. It's great in every department, especially taste. So well balanced. Everything great you've heard about this beer is true. A++ (876 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +6.5%

From the bottle, HopSlam pours a light amber / orange, with very little head, and a few shimmering bubbles here and there.

Aroma is hop dominated (really??) - to me, the citrus notes seem to lean more toward orange than grapefruit. Tons of pineapple and other tropical fruits. There's also a little pine in there. A hint of sweetness is detected.

Taste is hoppy-deliciousness. The citrus rind hop flavor is immediately noticeable, followed by touches of pine. There is a little sweetness that briefly offsets the powerful hop bite on the finish.

Being 10% abv, its not as heavy as I was expecting. Medium-bodied, and not as oily as some other IIPA's I've tried.

Pleasantly surprised by the drinkability of this beer, although I still wouldn't have more than a couple in one sitting - (787 characters)

4.34/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is not for the weak of tongue. Intensely hoppy with out being over the top If you are gonna invest in the price of a six pack (near 20 bucks) you had better like hops, but for those of you who do its worth the price. One of many brilliant beers bt Bell's Brewery, pride of Michigan. (292 characters)

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.