Hopslam Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Wants: 2,170
Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: beernbbq on 04-14-2004

Brewed with honey. Hoppy as hell.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopslam Ale Alström Bros
3.86/5  rDev -14%

Oh damn, any regrets that I may have had in not going to Philly for the fest at the shipyard evaporated when I saw this on the table yesterday (Central PA Bottle Share, Sa, 05 Mar 2011). As the late Mickey Spillane would have said, "I creamed my jeans"! I was so cowed by its presence that I had to ask ffejherb for permission to open it, to which he enthusiastically assented. I had to read the directions, because if I screwed the pooch, I would be a pariah and it was so early on. The big Q for me was the initial venting, but I remembered the pull, twist and pour from my Best Brown in the Fall.

I got a finger-and-a-half of soapy ecru head with decent retention off of my pour. Color was a solid amber with NE-quality clarity. BUPGOO! Yeah, give this to the kiddies. Nose was so piney that I began to swoon. It was, in my addled mind, like licking a pine tree. Mouthfeel was medium and the hops had already begun to mute, so the taste was heavier on caramel malt, but I still got some hops on the tongue. The finish was likewise caramel-like initially, nut lingering with hops. Dang, but I would like to try this absolutely fresh! No matter, I CAN now die h(a/o)ppy, having had some. Did I mention the excellent lacing throughout? Glug!

4.3/5  rDev -4.2%

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass, bottled on 1/8/2015. Pours slightly hazy golden orange color with a 1-2 finger dense light khaki head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Nice soapy lacing clings around the glass, with some light streaming carbonation. Aromas of big grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, mango, apricot, lemon zest, orange peel, pine, honey, light caramel, bread, and floral/grassy earthiness. Damn nice aromas with good balance and complexity of citrus/tropical hops and moderate malt sweetness; with good strength. Some light booziness shows up as it warms. Taste of big grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, mango, apricot, lemon zest, orange peel, pine, honey, light caramel, bread, and floral/grassy earthiness. Good amount of pine/citrus rind bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, mango, apricot, lemon/orange zest, pine, honey, light caramel, bread, and floral/grassy earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Fantastic complexity and robustness of big citrus/tropical hops and moderate malt sweetness; with a great malt/bitterness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a smooth, fairly crisp/sticky, and lightly creamy mouthfeel that is great. Alcohol is well hidden with only a light warming present after the finish. Overall this is an outstanding double IPA style. All around awesome complexity and balance of big citrus/tropical hops and moderate malt sweetness; and very smooth to sip on for the big ABV. A highly enjoyable offering.

4.42/5  rDev -1.6%

12 ouncer, no freshness indication, this was over $15 for a sixer, near Ann Arbor, MI. Pours cloudy orangy/apricot, near white head, that leaves nice, scattered and spotty lacing. Big and bold citrusy/resiny hop nose. Thick, chewy and smooth. Fine, fine stuff, god I love a world class DIPA like this one. Everything is in place here, nice job by Bells. Lots of citrus and hoppy goodness. Smooth and perhaps a bit more accessable and drinkable then the Stone 10th offering.

4.88/5  rDev +8.7%

Pours a clear light golden orange with golden yellowish orange hues when held to a light source and a two finger frothy soapy white head with excellent retention, only slowly fading into a lasting cap. Sheets of chunky soapy white lacing are left coating the glass.

Dank oily earthy hop aroma that's bursting with sweet citrus notes. There's also a prominent earthy pine presence as well as a bit of honey alongside a subtle malt profile in the nose.

Chewy resinous medium body that's on the fuller end of the spectrum with an explosion of juicy luscious dank hops. The hops are uber fresh and provide a slightly bitter dryness that lingers troughout into a slightly hot finish. There is a very prominent citrus fruit presence with hints of mango, pineapple, lemon and orange peel. A sweet honey character comes through mid-palate, complimenting the sweetness of the citrus notes and adding to the fullness of the palate. The sweetness is balanced by a dry earthy pine presence. Maltiness is very subtle but contributes to the amazing complexity and balance of this excellent beer. Nas mentioned above their is a bit of alcohol heat toward the end of the palate but overall the high ABV is excellently masked, making this beer dangerously drinkable. Highly recommended!

4.25/5  rDev -5.3%

4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

3.62/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I paid $16 for a 6 pack...
Appears a glowing golden orange with a creamy, 1 finger white head that slowly fades into a mild cap. Lots of streaky lacing is left around the glass. What's this other mess going on? Tons of yeasty proteins and hop residuals floating in suspension with no visible signs of CO2. That doesn't look overly appealling.
Smell is extremely herbal up front with hints of skunky mary jane, flowers, tea leaves, black pepper, citrus zest, pineapple, grapefruit, along with some biscuit.
Taste...again, this strikes me as a very herbal brew moreso than a citrusy one. Flavors are highlighted by bitter herbs & spices, pine resin, grass, sweet citrus...hmmm.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, bitter, sweet up front, grassy, herbal... dare I say medicinal, or solvent? Alcohol is evident.
Wow...based on this bottle, I'd be willing to vote this one as the most over-rated beer that I've had in '07. Last year, my vote went to Stone Oaked Bastard. This certainly isn't a terrible beer, it's just very overly hyped IMO and I'm not feeling the love. It sort of reminds me of a recent homebrew that I did, where I used a boat load of 6-7 different hops and hoped for the best. It turned out alright but a bit muddled, much like this with every aspect of hops being represented from herbal, to skunky, to citrus, etc. I just don't get it. Maybe the next bottle will change my mind. I've only got 5 more to compare it with.

4.4/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE...

Batch 8913... only 9 days from being packaged!

Poured into New Belgium Globe glass. Color is a hazy golden/orange bronze. Pours a large head with good retention. Leaves great lace rings.

Aroma is an incredible hop aroma. So much floral notes. There are some fruit and citrus notes as well. Strong grapefruit and orange zest smell. Some honey as well.

Taste is like I am eating flowers (which I have not done). There is such an incredible hop flavor to it. There is such a grapefruit flavor to it. I would also say it has a slight bready malt flavor to it and honey.

Mouthfeel is bitter, but it is not even bad compared to any other ipa or iipa. The beer also gets smooth near the end. The one great part about this beer is that it doesn't leave a hardcore dry sticky aftertaste. The 10% abv is masked so well in this beer.

Overall, this is one amazing beer. I have to admit it is the best that I have had yet to date. It is really easy to drink and I will definitely be enjoying another.

I highly recommend this beer!

EDIT: The 09/10 seemed to have a lot more honey than the batch that I reviewed. I liked it.

4.38/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to BeerThursdays for this bottle! Bottle from 1/11/11

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden orange color. Has an off white two finger head and sheets of lacing down the sides. Small carbonation bubbles are released from the bottom.

S: Lots of hops as expected. A lot of pine/woodsy aroma while the citrus plays a lesser role. I do get some grapefruit and the honey used in brewing gives it a slight sweetness.

T: Less pine on the flavor profile than expected, much heavier with citrus (grapefruit and orange) and floral flavors. The honey adds a very nice sweetness. Extremely well balanced.

M/D: Medium bodied with nice carbonation. Has a very nice finish, slightly bitter and sweet at the same time. You get a hint that it is 10%, but its not a bad thing. The drinkability at this abv is incredible. I feel like I could drink a couple of these.

4.85/5  rDev +8%

Thanks to theformula for this elixir. Let me say that I've been looking forward to this for a while since I love DIPAs and I love Bell's. This didn't disapoint. I traded for a sixpack of this and of Nugget Nectar, and while the Nectar was good I thought this blew it away. So friggin' delicious that I almost sucked the first on straight down.

Pours amber with a thin head but a constant stream of tiny bubbles. I'm not worried about a big head for a strong beer like this, I'm more concerned about what the beer tastes like and how fresh it is. This is one fresh beer! The smell is surprisingly malty and a tad sweet with big citrusy hops following. The taste is amazing! Delicious blend of citrusy and piney hops with a spicy oiliness that coats the tongue and has a flavor almost of cinnamon in its intensity. More pine, grapefruit, and orange follow. The sweet malt and honey play a supporting role that beautifully props up the hops, and there is almost a peach flavor at the end that makes me want to guzzle the beer. Great body, balance, and finish. I know this is 9.3% abv, but you can't tell. Something about this beer makes me want another and nothing else as soon as I finish the first, Uber delicious and almost addictive.

4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

A: Transparent and effervescent, this beer is mostly yellow with hints of orange, reminiscent of a sunrise. There is a moderate level of head and lacing.

S: Big aromas of floral, tart citrus, pine.

T: Refreshing, smooth, delicious. This is one of the best DIPA I have had. I look forward to Hopslam every year. Much more hoppy than malty, this beer is for the hop lover, which I am. Beautifully done with delicious grapefruit and subtle resinous pine flavors, Hopslam finishes with a lingering bitter aftertaste that makes my mouth tingle and yearn for more. Where is the 10% ABV?!? This is a seriously dangerous beverage.

M: Carbonation level is great and it's really smooth, with no astringency.

D: Do I really have to wait until next February to get more fresh Hopslam?

4.32/5  rDev -3.8%

12oz fresh bottle into the flying fish brewing glass. I wanted to dive right into this one and not waste any time or hops.

A- Bells Hopslam comes out of the bottle a light tan color and settles into the glass with a impressive medium orange with gold & bronze highlights. It appears very transparent and upon a closer view small microdots of sediment are seen floating throughout. The one inch deep white head was impressive and creamy causing much foam & dense lacing.

S- Is out of the world piney and citrusy hops up front with honey and a slightly bittering charm. Grapefruit smells explode into the nostrils as well as grassy scents. A pleasure to smell for some time to allow some warming.

T- Hops on top of hops and so forth giving off some floral aspects. Picking up a nice amount of the honey used in this as well. This beer lives up to it's name. Some malts to combine with that honey. As with many DIPA's the grapefruits, mangos and other fruits are also leading the pack. Hopslam gets a bit sweeter with time resulting in more honey. This beer deserves all the accolades it gets.

M- This goes down smooth throughout the 12oz and finishes on the dry side.The honey helps the slight lack of malt to help offset the hops without drowning them. A bit of a slick oily presence to it. Very drinkable at 10% & a hop profile this huge. Alcohol is a non-factor in this case. Medium bodied with good carbonation ad every sip is an eye-opener.

D- I would go through a few of these before it caught up with me but it would be a beautiful ride. A bit on the pricey side but what isn't these days. I would love to drink this occasionally throughout the year but that's impossible without the hops fading after 6 months. Perhaps brewing this twice a year would be a solution.

One of the top tier double IPA's in my eyes.

4.12/5  rDev -8.2%

On-tap at the Blue Nile. Served in a 12 oz goblet.

106 IBUs? Where? Don't get me wrong, there were some amazing aspects to this beer, but bitter it wasn't. This beer was very reminiscent of grapefruit juice. There was some good complexity in the hops flavor, but it was overly juicy to the point of getting away from beer. This made for an amazing aroma, but the taste couldn't quite deliver all the way.

Although the taste didn't exactly do it for me, I was impressed by how drinkable the 9.3% was. The bitterness, or lack of, kind of let me down, but this was still a pretty good DIPA. Worth a try at the least.

Appearance: amber orangewith a slight white head and lot's of lacing.

Smell: Lot's of hops and pine trees..

Taste: floral with hops and malt.

Mouthfeel: smooth bodied.

Drinkability: I was saving this for the Steeler's Superbowl win but alas it was not meant to happen. Very drinkable and world watch out I'm rady to drink more than one.

4.67/5  rDev +4%

A: Poured with moderate head, beautiful lacing, color is light orange.

S: Nose is incredibly fresh with citrus, pine, grassy and light floral notes.

T: Taste is dry with grapefruit and pineapple, right upfront, some pine and floral notes and nice honey feel and sweetness ont he back.

M: Well balanced, booze is masked with flavor

O: Freakin as good or better than I recall it two years ago!

4.2/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured into a pint glass. Clear orange with a nice head and wonderful lace.
Fruity hop boquet in the nose, some sweetness pulling through.
The flavor is hops, juicy and big. Pineapple, citrus, pear, mead and malt all gather and dance on the palate. No alcohal bite until the very end. Sharp hop flavor but well done.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied and semi-smooth.
Drinkability is dangerous, since this beer drinks so easily, yet is so powerful and flavorful. Reccommended if you are into alot of hop flavor.

4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

Received via trade with buckeyenation.
Nice hazy dark yellow body, huge white head. I can smell the citrus already. This is gonna wallop (er, slam)
Taste isn't as big as I thought it would be, but that's a good thing. Smooth transition from citrus, to pine, to a bit of sweetness, to dry and crisp. The citrus is mostly pomelo, some lemon and grapefruit, a bit of orange perhaps. This slam isn't as menacing as it seems. Unlike the DFH 120, this one is plenty drinkable.
I like this brew, I hope I can find it out here.

4.37/5  rDev -2.7%

Served on-tap at the Brewhouse Grille in Camp Hill, PA. My comments on drinkability are taken from my comments on the bottled version.

A: The ale is an auburn orange color with a thick 1 finger head. The head is not too impressive by leaves a bit of lacing in the glass.

S: The aroma is a big, sweet piney hop. The fruity aroma of the hops are big and bold, leaving exciting hints of things to come.

T: The hops leap off the tastebuds like a harvest ale. They are so fresh-tasting and intense that words almost fall short in describing them. The hops are very fruity, with tangerine and apricot flavors and a strong piney presence. The hop bitterness is intense upfront and rarely fades in the mouth. The malts are not meant to stand out here and they don't. They do, however, provide a strong grainy foundation for the hops to shine. This ale is why the good Lord made humulus lupulus.

M: The mouthfeel is unlike most other DIPAs. The hops are do fresh, vibrant and intense that they are delicious from first sip to last.

D: The 9.3% abv is tough and those hops will strip your taste buds but you'll love every second of it.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a three finger cream light brown head off the pour into a pint glass. Very good retention off the pour and very foamy. Some faint cloudiness but not much, with a nice golden dark brown color body. This is a decent looking beer.

Smell is a big but enjoyable surprise. It's all aromatic hops, but extremely grassy, like a fresh cut lawn. Big inhales really bring this out and you get almost a chlorophyll buzz going. Honey doesn't come out first on the nose until after you taste it.

Taste is a big surprise. Sweet front but not syrupy, of honey first, then a giant hop play in the mouth, with a bit of a tangerine finish. Mouthfeel is a little dry, with a rooftop palate dryness. The honey addition to this really balances out the bitterness and distinctly improves the beer. Feels carbonated to some extent but it isn't as if something is playing in your mouth with tingles or gas. I think if it didn't have the honey this would not be as good. Also the ABV on this for 10% is well hidden and you can't even notice it.

A well done tasting beer that doesn't taste like a gimmick or a stunt. Well done.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Sampled through the kindness of WeisGuy.

This is a clear apple juice colored ale with a decent white head despite the alcohol level.

Smell is strong and wild hop fist to the nose. Lots of sweetness and pineapple and pine in the aroma. This is quite spicy smelling with a lot of citrus and just plain fresh hop leaf aroma to it.

The taste begins strong and very hoppy with a strong melon flavor. Quite spicy and strong the strong melon taste hangs around. Lots of floral flavors in the aftertaste here it is almost perfumed. Through out this is a Super IPA that does not become harsh at all.

Mouthfeel is good.

Highly drinkable for the hopheads of the world. Very strongly hopped but very tasty. In the same class as Pliny The Younger and Dreadnaught.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

(Served in a tulip glass)

A- This beer has a warm orange body that is dense with lots of tiny bits swirling around like a hop snow globe. There is a good carbonation of tiny bubbles keeping everything stirred up. There is a thick creamy off-white head that last and last. It looks like there is a slight hop oil yellow hue to it but that might just be wishful thinking.

S- The smell of big green grassy hops has a bold pineapple smell with some smooth floral notes and a faint herbal tea hint. This smell is all about the hops but it has a great complexity.

T- The slightly sweet candy sugar hint at the beginning reminds me of a nice Triple but it is quickly overtaken by a big juicy green hop flavor. It has notes of fresh cut grass, grapefruit and a nice bitter pine hop finish. The bitterness keeps growing after the sip for a bit.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with a slight slippery texture.

D- This beer has a great hop flavor with lots of depth and hop flavor is balanced by hop bitterness, while both are being enhanced by a slight sweet malt flavor. This taste like a splash of triple and a load of hops.

4.16/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. bottle served in pint glass (and 2013 bottle in a goblet)

Pours a nice light, orange-amber with 1 finger of bone head. Upon drinking, the head reduces to irregular surface coat and leaves splotchy, sticky lacing.

Highly aromatic, with seemingly fresh and rather strong hoppy aroma. Fruity (citrus) and floral, with hints of high ABV.

Very strong flavor with ample bitter and noticeable sweet components. Slightly dry finish with less bitterness than expected; IBU, reported as 106, seems lower. The high ABV seemed partly hidden but became more evident with warming. Hints of orange peel, honey brandy, pine and grapefruit lie within the complex mix of hop flavors.

M - good carbonation; fairly smooth; a little 'bite' from high ABV and hops. Warming.

O - simply a great sipper for hopheads, and I do recommend sipping for both reasons of flavor and ABV. Not quite over the top, the huge hop load is pungent but seems less challenging than it might be, perhaps due to the honey; perhaps due to the "generous malt bill". Still, too extreme for some, no doubt.

(revised lightly with new .25 pt rating system and tasting of 2013 bottle in Feb. 2013)

4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours a orangish color with an inch of dense, foamy, yellowish off white that has good retention. The nose is sweet and citrusy. I get notes of grapefruit and mango as well as sugar and peaches. It reminds me of peaches and cream. The flavor is very similar to the nose. I get notes of sweet, citrusy fruit, sugar, and whipped cream up front with a mildly piny, bitter finish. The alcohol is well hidden. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, smooth, well carbonated, and a little warm on the finish.

This is a really good IPA. The flavor is balanced well, the high ABV is masked well, and the hops aren't overpowering. If it weren't for the high ABV, I would several of these in a sitting.

4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.