Follow our progress ...

Hopslam Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

YOUR RATING = None |

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Michigan, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by beernbbq on 04-14-2004

Reviews: 3,440 | Ratings: 12,559
4.32/5  rDev -2.7%

12oz received in trade from jdoncbus ... I had one.. my trading partner had the other ... we both thank you John. Mine poured into my New Belgium snifter.

2 finger head ... leaves spotty but clingy lacing ... hop hazed dark gold/light orange brew.

Aroma is abundantly citrus zest ... smells literally like somebody squeezed an overripe grapefruit into a nicely malted brew.

Flavor is ooohhhh so balanced.. very nice citric/grapefruity hoppy profile... Again.. tastes very fresh. Just enough bitterness to strap down the middle of the road pale malt sweetness.. a little crystal but no caramel. Light/medium body with nice carbonation. Drinkable doesn't describe it... I want a never ending keg .. I could enjoy this one every day and always find something to key on.. something to make me enjoy just being lucky enough to have this as an everyday beer.

Per Steven .. "this is a Great beer ... this is a sittin in the sun floatin the river beer." He is right ... and it is still fantastic when the cold wind is blowing in Boise.

Another big props to trader jdoncbus... John we must again work something out... Now I just wish I had access to all the fantastic hoppy wonders you do... lucky bastard.

4.37/5  rDev -1.6%

12 oz 2008 bottle poured into a Duvel tulip, batch #8277, labeled as 10 % ABV

A: Very nice. Cloudy golden amber color. Very large, tight off white head with nice retention and lacing.
S: Very strong, fresh floral/piney, grapefruity smell. Slight touch of sweetness, perhaps the honey the bottle mentions.
T: Sweeter than I expect for a DIPA and I like it. Starts with sweet honey/grapefruit flavor and then hops take over and give it a nice dry, tart taste. Perhaps there could be more of a malt presence for balance, otherwise no complaints.
M: Medium bodied, some sips I think it might be bordering on being slightly thin however. Nice amount of carbonation and a very pleasant, dry, tart aftertaste.
D: For 10% abv did not taste any alcohol but certainly felt it as I drank the bottle. I may have served this a little too cool at first as the flavors became much stronger as the beer warmed (and became more enjoyable).

When I consider every aspect of this beer separately, they are all great but in the end I'm left feeling like it all doesn't quite add up for me and I can't place what it is. Somewhere in the finish and aftertaste I'm left with a thin/watery feeling that I can't place, hence the lower drinkability score. I'd love to try this on tap after my experience of liking two-hearted much better on tap than bottled

4.53/5  rDev +2%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a light orange, with a medium white head with good retention and lacing.

S: Smells very hoppy, citrus mostly, the honey is evident adding some sugar sweetness.

T: Great flavour, the honey and then hops work really well together. Great light citrus, white grapefuit pith and orange oil, with honey sweetness, giving the counter to the hop bitterness a mead-like quality, just really good stuff.

M: Smooth, full-bodied, great carbonation feel, slightly oily.

D: A really good beer, I'm glad I finally got to try it. The honey really takes over the malt character and makes it light enough that the great hop flavour really shines through. Now I know why all the East coasters are psyched out of their minds about this beer.

4.62/5  rDev +4.1%

Delicious! That is really all I need to say about this beer. This was the beer that got me hooked on imperial IPA’s. You can smell the hops as you pour. Pours amber/orane in color with a whitish head. Some alcohol flavor is present. Not overly bitter. Very smooth on the palate. Just amazing.

4.22/5  rDev -5%

This is a review of the 2011 Hopslam (duh).This beer pours a honey orange, very translucent with a light white head that rims the glass. It smells of citrus and pine with a lot of honey. Remembering last year's via the smell made me smile, almost laugh. Oh...Hopslam. I don't know where people are getting pineapple and other random fruits. The flavor is honey upfront followed by an entire pine tree with a pitcher of orange juice. I'm a fan, obviously, but this was WAY BETTER last year. It's well carbonated and goes down smoothly. This beer is very drinkable for the content. It boasts excellent flavor but this was FAR BETTER last year. It's not as powerful or strong or something. I don't know what it is, but it's off.

4.45/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Sampled through the kindness of WeisGuy.

This is a clear apple juice colored ale with a decent white head despite the alcohol level.

Smell is strong and wild hop fist to the nose. Lots of sweetness and pineapple and pine in the aroma. This is quite spicy smelling with a lot of citrus and just plain fresh hop leaf aroma to it.

The taste begins strong and very hoppy with a strong melon flavor. Quite spicy and strong the strong melon taste hangs around. Lots of floral flavors in the aftertaste here it is almost perfumed. Through out this is a Super IPA that does not become harsh at all.

Mouthfeel is good.

Highly drinkable for the hopheads of the world. Very strongly hopped but very tasty. In the same class as Pliny The Younger and Dreadnaught.

4.09/5  rDev -7.9%

A cloudy, deep golden colour, Hopslam looks like honey. It has little carbonation and can appear almost sludgy depending on the angle. No head ever forms. The highlighting is dulled too, despite that it is light enough to allow moderate transparency.

Some IPAs simulate the effect of sniffing a baggie of hops; this IPA simulates standing dead center of a hop farm. You'd think you were submerged under an entire Pacific Northwest harvest. I don't like taking my nose out of the glass - I'll need a snorkel if I'm to drink this again. It is minty, herbal, and showcasing a lot of lime fruit.

The taste has pungency and a good amount of spice. That said, it is considerably less bitter than it let's on. The honey is surprisingly appreciable. Flavors of honeycomb and toffee are, believe it or not, more pronounced than the hops' contributions of leaf, lime, and pine. There's as much toasted caramel as there is grapefruit or flower petal.

The mouth feels privy to a lot of bark, rind, and resin - all goods features so far as IPAs are concerned. It is dry and to the uninitiated might feel like pine flavored sand paper as it runs over the palate. There's a dosage of alcohol esters noted as well, but they aren't entirely distracting. Still, it's not exactly what I'd call refreshing, all things considered.

As much as I have always enjoyed Bell's Hopslam, I can't help but say of it that it's the right size but the wrong shape. What I mean by that is that it has the right amount of bitter, tropical, herbal hoppiness but it all falls way to an overall toasty, sweet, and malty persona. Relative to similar stock in Bells lineup (and hype), it falls short of expectation.

4.47/5  rDev +0.7%

Thanks to Hayesez.
A nice coppery color, decent lacing and a bit of a head to the beer.

Smells overwhelmingly of hops and more hops. Then pine and citrus follow.

The taste is well shockingly not overly hoppy. It has a nice balance of straight hops, crisp pine and just a hint of grapefruit at the end. Disappears nicely making you want to have another sip right away.

It has a slight carbonation to it. A dry aftertaste is left after a bit if you don't have more.

I could have a few of these which is saying a lot since i don't usually enjoy IPA's of any sorts. This however is an exceptional IPA no matter how you look at it.

4.2/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured a medium hazy copper hue with a one finger creamy white head. There was good retention and sticky lacing.

The smell featured an upfront sweet orange hop with accents of pine and pepper.

The taste consisted of an upfront spicy and resiny hop with a robust doughy malt. Some mild warming alcohol appeared at the finish.

The mouthfeel was full with a warm finish.

Overall a superior DIPA. Very drinkable considering the ABV. Thanks to czoch75.

4.85/5  rDev +9.2%

Thanks to theformula for this elixir. Let me say that I've been looking forward to this for a while since I love DIPAs and I love Bell's. This didn't disapoint. I traded for a sixpack of this and of Nugget Nectar, and while the Nectar was good I thought this blew it away. So friggin' delicious that I almost sucked the first on straight down.

Pours amber with a thin head but a constant stream of tiny bubbles. I'm not worried about a big head for a strong beer like this, I'm more concerned about what the beer tastes like and how fresh it is. This is one fresh beer! The smell is surprisingly malty and a tad sweet with big citrusy hops following. The taste is amazing! Delicious blend of citrusy and piney hops with a spicy oiliness that coats the tongue and has a flavor almost of cinnamon in its intensity. More pine, grapefruit, and orange follow. The sweet malt and honey play a supporting role that beautifully props up the hops, and there is almost a peach flavor at the end that makes me want to guzzle the beer. Great body, balance, and finish. I know this is 9.3% abv, but you can't tell. Something about this beer makes me want another and nothing else as soon as I finish the first, Uber delicious and almost addictive.

4.22/5  rDev -5%

Reviewed this previously, but not out of the bottle.

The beer pours the prototypical peachy orange DIPA color, with good head retention and lacing. With several months of bottle age, this beer has become positively exotic on the nose, displaying mandarin orange, grapefruit, cherry and even cotton candy. There is much more of a tropical fruit flavor to the aroma then there was when it was first released (or the times I've had it on tap), and I confess it's really quite attractive. The flavors on the palate replicate the nose, and I have to say that even after several months in the bottle, this is still an absolutely delicious beer. The beer comes across as more of a strong ale now, but with a decidedly noticeable underlying hoppy presence. It's a bit sweeter and maltier tasting then it once was, but with enough hops to still carry the day and keep it from tasting overly heavy or tiring on the palate. I suspect that won't last much longer however, which is why I'm glad I'm down to my last couple of bottles. Mouthfeel is still medium to full bodied, though it has an underlying richness I didn't get before. Drinkability is the only area where this beer seems to have been noticeably hurt by the extra bottle age. The alcohol is now showing a bit, and the increasing sweetness is also a detraction/distraction.

Granted, this beer is absolutely at its best when super fresh, but even after 2 or 3 months of bottle age, it is still an impressive beer... a very solid DIPA.

Edit from 1/21/11. Sampled very fresh bottle the other day. Would raise drinkability to 5, but would otherwise keep everything else the same. Fresh HS is dangerously drinkable... the beer comes across as very light, with the honey flavor in this beer masking the alchohol completely. It's the sort of beer you almost want to keep on drinking till you're comatose.

3.56/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A big thanks to the founding father of the canquest, woodychandler, for this beer. It's great to have a local, in person, trader. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a dark golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of piney hops, some citrus. Taste is piney, resin, light malts, medium bitterness, alcohol is well hidden. Feels medium/full bodied in the mouth and overall is a good beer, but I was expecting to be blown away. I have had better DIPA's.

4.35/5  rDev -2%

A: Pours a nice 1.5 finger head with nice retention with substantial lacing. The beer looks like some sort of golden honey.

S: Sweet citrus (grapefruit), very floral, honey, nicely hopped,

T: Nice and bitter up front with a small malt backbone. A citrus tang toward the back of the tongue and a slightly dry finish.

M: Carbonation is good and the mouthfeel is smooth and creamy.

D: 10% ? I never would have guessed it. I could drink this all night.

4.3/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours dark gold with a small head and a moderate amount of lace. A small cream colored ring remains around the top of the beer. Good clarity. Lovely aroma; pungent hoppiness; resinous, slightly oniony; some citrus and pine qualities.

Has a slightly tongue scathing bitterness to the flavor; again very resinous, with grass, pine, citrus, and onion characteristics, and a surprisingly dry finish after hearing much about this beer's honeyed taste; I found there was little in the way of sweetness at all, really. After the swallow the bitterness lingers a bit but recedes enough so as not to be obnoxious or overbearing; you are left with the sense of a powerful beer, both in terms of hops and alcohol, although the latter is well masked during drinking.

Medium body and carbonation, almost light for this style. This is a top notch DIPA, sure, but not perhaps in the class of the other heavy hitters of the genre; lacks the intricacy of Heady Topper and the refinement of Pliny, to cite two examples. But still dusts the vast majority of the competition.

3.62/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I paid $16 for a 6 pack...
Appears a glowing golden orange with a creamy, 1 finger white head that slowly fades into a mild cap. Lots of streaky lacing is left around the glass. What's this other mess going on? Tons of yeasty proteins and hop residuals floating in suspension with no visible signs of CO2. That doesn't look overly appealling.
Smell is extremely herbal up front with hints of skunky mary jane, flowers, tea leaves, black pepper, citrus zest, pineapple, grapefruit, along with some biscuit.
Taste...again, this strikes me as a very herbal brew moreso than a citrusy one. Flavors are highlighted by bitter herbs & spices, pine resin, grass, sweet citrus...hmmm.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, bitter, sweet up front, grassy, herbal... dare I say medicinal, or solvent? Alcohol is evident.
Wow...based on this bottle, I'd be willing to vote this one as the most over-rated beer that I've had in '07. Last year, my vote went to Stone Oaked Bastard. This certainly isn't a terrible beer, it's just very overly hyped IMO and I'm not feeling the love. It sort of reminds me of a recent homebrew that I did, where I used a boat load of 6-7 different hops and hoped for the best. It turned out alright but a bit muddled, much like this with every aspect of hops being represented from herbal, to skunky, to citrus, etc. I just don't get it. Maybe the next bottle will change my mind. I've only got 5 more to compare it with.

4.88/5  rDev +9.9%

Pours a clear light golden orange with golden yellowish orange hues when held to a light source and a two finger frothy soapy white head with excellent retention, only slowly fading into a lasting cap. Sheets of chunky soapy white lacing are left coating the glass.

Dank oily earthy hop aroma that's bursting with sweet citrus notes. There's also a prominent earthy pine presence as well as a bit of honey alongside a subtle malt profile in the nose.

Chewy resinous medium body that's on the fuller end of the spectrum with an explosion of juicy luscious dank hops. The hops are uber fresh and provide a slightly bitter dryness that lingers troughout into a slightly hot finish. There is a very prominent citrus fruit presence with hints of mango, pineapple, lemon and orange peel. A sweet honey character comes through mid-palate, complimenting the sweetness of the citrus notes and adding to the fullness of the palate. The sweetness is balanced by a dry earthy pine presence. Maltiness is very subtle but contributes to the amazing complexity and balance of this excellent beer. Nas mentioned above their is a bit of alcohol heat toward the end of the palate but overall the high ABV is excellently masked, making this beer dangerously drinkable. Highly recommended!

4.56/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle into chilled DFH pint glass. Beautiful amber/orange color. Short but fluffy white head, which quickly dissipates to this white collar. Lots of minuscule bubbles and excellent sticky lacing throughout the experience. On the nose, the initial scent is a lovely pink grapefruit with floral hints, followed by sweet papaya (must be the honey). On the palate, the flavor profile replicates yet intensifies the olfactory sensations. Nice full mouthfeel -- not chewy per se, but ample and all-encompassing. Virtually no alcohol burn. The finish is long and sweet, yet balanced -- meaning that there is enough malt and alcohol present to extend the finish, without any of the elements (the sweetness from the honey, the pine from the hops, the malt, or the burn of alcohol) overpowering or dominating the experience. Just a long, steady, well integrated finish all the way through. Hard to believe that anyone could actually plan for this to happen -- seems more like a coincidental miracle of divine artwork than anything designed by human hands. All in all, a tremendous experience. This beer is truly unique. I've certainly never had anything else quite like it.

4.67/5  rDev +5.2%

A: Poured with moderate head, beautiful lacing, color is light orange.

S: Nose is incredibly fresh with citrus, pine, grassy and light floral notes.

T: Taste is dry with grapefruit and pineapple, right upfront, some pine and floral notes and nice honey feel and sweetness ont he back.

M: Well balanced, booze is masked with flavor

O: Freakin as good or better than I recall it two years ago!

4.43/5  rDev -0.2%

'8285' packaged on January 17, 2008. 10% abv.

A: Copper-bronze with an off-white head. Very little retention, slight leg/lacing.

S: Pleasant hop aroma isn't as big as expected. Grass, nectarine, pine, toffee & hints of fruity esters.

T: Initially I really tasted the honey, but after it breathed it was only slightly noticeable in the aftertaste. I don't think there's quite as much hop flavour as their two hearted. Pine, grass, nectarine, appricot, toffee & honey. Assertive bitterness is smooth. Alcohol has a little warmth, but I wouldn't guess it was that high

M: Really well-attenuated moderate body is smooth with a little hop acidity. Exceptionally well crafted & impressive for its strength.

D: Quite drinkable for its weight.

4.45/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

(Served in a tulip glass)

A- This beer has a warm orange body that is dense with lots of tiny bits swirling around like a hop snow globe. There is a good carbonation of tiny bubbles keeping everything stirred up. There is a thick creamy off-white head that last and last. It looks like there is a slight hop oil yellow hue to it but that might just be wishful thinking.

S- The smell of big green grassy hops has a bold pineapple smell with some smooth floral notes and a faint herbal tea hint. This smell is all about the hops but it has a great complexity.

T- The slightly sweet candy sugar hint at the beginning reminds me of a nice Triple but it is quickly overtaken by a big juicy green hop flavor. It has notes of fresh cut grass, grapefruit and a nice bitter pine hop finish. The bitterness keeps growing after the sip for a bit.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with a slight slippery texture.

D- This beer has a great hop flavor with lots of depth and hop flavor is balanced by hop bitterness, while both are being enhanced by a slight sweet malt flavor. This taste like a splash of triple and a load of hops.

4.38/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12/30/11 bottling. Thanks to Jakers90 for this one

A: Golden-orange, slight haze. One finger tight head

S: Hops waft off of this one right from the pour. Juicy citrus, slightly vegetal and spicy. A bit of sweet cereal malt.

T: Surprisingly malt-driven on the initial sip. Bready, slightly sweet. Lots of hops follow, mostly earthy and spicy here, with a bit of bitter grapefruit. Finish is strongly bitter, but well balanced by the malt.

M: Full mouthfeel, but not heavy. This much hops bitterness in the finish could easily go highly astringent, but there's not much of that at all. Great, long linger.

O: Exceptional balance. Dangerously drinkable 10%. If there were a bit more hops aroma, I'd call this a nearly perfect IIPA.

4.37/5  rDev -1.6%

Served on-tap at the Brewhouse Grille in Camp Hill, PA. My comments on drinkability are taken from my comments on the bottled version.

A: The ale is an auburn orange color with a thick 1 finger head. The head is not too impressive by leaves a bit of lacing in the glass.

S: The aroma is a big, sweet piney hop. The fruity aroma of the hops are big and bold, leaving exciting hints of things to come.

T: The hops leap off the tastebuds like a harvest ale. They are so fresh-tasting and intense that words almost fall short in describing them. The hops are very fruity, with tangerine and apricot flavors and a strong piney presence. The hop bitterness is intense upfront and rarely fades in the mouth. The malts are not meant to stand out here and they don't. They do, however, provide a strong grainy foundation for the hops to shine. This ale is why the good Lord made humulus lupulus.

M: The mouthfeel is unlike most other DIPAs. The hops are do fresh, vibrant and intense that they are delicious from first sip to last.

D: The 9.3% abv is tough and those hops will strip your taste buds but you'll love every second of it.

4.18/5  rDev -5.9%

-Thanx to Paul B. (WV). Bottle dated 12/29/11. Consumed 2/6/12.

A: Deep orange honey coloring with a semi-dense clarity. A slight frothy light beige head sits atop with a moderate rate of retention. Inside a slow rise of spacious carbonation, outside on the glass a thin broken ring of lace.

S: The aroma was of sweet honey-pine with some dry grassy notes. Have to be honest was expecting much more pungency here. Moderate complexity, the honey definitely adds some balance and some sweetness to the dry citrusy mixture, while hints of lemon grind linger about though the strength was refrained.

T: Ah here comes the hops. Nice pungent bitterness that cant be held back any longer. The honey, once again shows up adding some balance and sweetness in intermittent bursts before being overtaken by the piney-grass bitterness. Respectable amount of bitterness though is refined and smoothed out by the honey makes this easy to enjoy. Toasty honey malt, spicy bite of citrus with a nice leave of grapefruit/pine bitterness.

M: spicy of citrus, medium bodied but thickens up on longer holds. Sticky hop oils and slick malt lingers behind.

O: Overall a well balanced dipa with a unique influence of honey balances this out for a remarkable, yet smoothing and respectable hop bitterness that is easy and very enjoyable to down. Had a wow moment when realizing this was 10%abv. Just a remarkably smooth and easy dipa especially at this level. The honey no doubt adds a higher OG and ABV% while still maintaining a good balance of sweetness and malt level with the hops. Nicely formatted by style.

4.15/5  rDev -6.5%

*I cellared a bottle of the 2010 vintage that I opened at the same time. Note that my review and score is based on the 2011 vintage. More below*

2011: From bottle to Bruges hybrid glass

A: Clean amber in color, like the tail end of a sunset. The head was pretty impressive up front, with an easy 1.5 finger retention. Sticky lacing coated the glass.

S: Easily one of the most inviting noses of any beer I've had the pleasure to consume from a bottle. Citrus through and through - complex notes of toasty, fresh hops and just peeled grapefruit.

T: Hops! Bitter, smoky hop oil immediately attacks the palate and assaults the buds. A hot sauce type of tingling follows, as if eating a raw hop pellet.

M: Nice carbonation, though I could have done with a slightly creamier presentation. Rich and weighty in the mouth and on the tounge.

D: I can't sit here and say I'd have more then one or two in a sitting, as is quite a big beer that deserves to be sipped and enjoyed over time. I let mine open up over a few hours and didn't feel the need for a second.

Overall: I really do look forward to this beer, and it again lived up to my expectations. It is certainly worth seeking out, though I do honestly believe I've had DIPA's that are just as good if not (possibly) better.

DRINK IT FRESH - see below

2010: From bottle to Bruges hybrid glass

A: Exceedingly cloudy and murky. Not what I was expecting in the slightest. The head certainly died a bit quicker then the 2011, and the lacing was sticky, but not as abundant.

S: By far the biggest difference between the two vintages. Orange soda and honey. Zero hops. If blindfolded, I might say it had the essence of a Canadian Ice wine.

T: Certainly maltier. The honey really comes out. Reasonable hints of hops considering it's a year old, but nowhere near the level of the 2011.

M: Oddly thick. I can tell it has lost some of it's carbonation over the last 365, though it is certainly not what I would call flat.

D: Slightly above average. To be honest, this came off like a mediorce Belgian style Tripel as it warmed. Now I love a good tripel, but this wouldn't be considered one of them.

Overall: I'm really glad I kept this one around for a year to compare. I have been looking forward to this for a while and now know first hand that HopSlam, without question and regardless of storage conditions, is a beverage best served fresh.

4.1/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

on tap at sams in Durham into a bells pint glass.

pours a beautiful golden color with an inch thick white head. smell is of honey and citrus and hops. exquisite aroma. honey is very prominent. taste is quite balanced. in your face hops at first followed by the honey and sweet malts. alcohol undetectable. criminally easy to drink. medium bodied with medium carbonation

overall a great DIPA , though 2 hearted isn't much different, and is everywhere year round.

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.