Third Coast Old Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Third Coast Old AleThird Coast Old Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Barleywine |  10.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-28-2002

From Bell's website:
"Third Coast Old Ale is a cellerable American-style barleywine that has notes of dried fruit and caramel embedded in a rich malt background that will grow more complex over time."
to view more.
Ratings: 2,363 | Reviews: 1,026
Reviews by J1mmyB09:
4.6/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

An epic non barrel aged beer. Vintage 2014. New to Upstae NY, bells distribution
Garnet, brown
Aroma of banana bread, figs, caramel
Tastes of butterscotch brandy pudding on warm dark grainy bread
Feels smoothly viscous: perfect,

This beer already acts like a 4 year old bigfoot or curmudgeon. The tastes are different in each, but I am overwhelmed by the complexity exhibited in this freshly brewed, non-barrel elixir. hops are not as high as bigfoot, and old ale brashness is already a bit blunted. The effect is pulled off with deftness while retaining a huge flavor, malt forward and deep. If fresh American barleywine floats you , in its DIPA characteristics ( and I do like that), this beer strays. It acts old beyond its age. The hops are strong, but way muted , used for beautiful bittering. Not an aromatic hop hit.

I bought a case and will relish the effects age will have on this masterpiece.

4.63/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A: dark amber with ruby brown highlights; a few fingers of fat tan head drape lace down the glass

S: sweet rich malts suggestive of dark fruit and caramel, somewhat earthy and rustic

T: full of fruit and malt, soft dates, caramel and toffee, edges of shellac and sweet herbs; modest bittering, vague hints of cocoa maybe?

M: full-bodied and smooth - intense mouthfeel - soft and lush caresses, lingering aftertaste begs for more

O: excellent - highly recommended - I had a bottle dated 10/08/14 , so with about 6 months on it - sublime drinking experience

4.91/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One of the best brews I have ever had. Pours a dark amber color with a finger of foam. Smells of dried blackberries, orange, lemon, and caramel. Taste has small hint of sweetness and cocoa, along citrus flavors. Very complex. Mouthfeel is lightly carbonated and smooth. Overall an outstanding brew. Highly recommended.

4.7/5  rDev +14.4%

Third Coast pours an astonishing shade of auburn with distinctly red highlights. The head is thin, but fluffy and inviting. I did notice some sediment, but I believe I have been holding on to this bottle since 2011, so that may have played a factor.

The aroma is sharp, alcoholic, reminiscent of bourbon, but one can definitely pick up fruity aspects, such as apricot, and there is a caramel element within it as well.

The initial wave over the palate feels very soft and smooth - malty, bready, with a touch of vanilla. The center of the flavor releases complex dark fruits, red wine, and baker's chocolate. The finish, a surprising amount of citrus and pine hop flavor, with a drying bitterness and a certain woodiness.

The flavor lingers nicely and despite the ABV and aroma, it is shockingly easy to drink. I must say in closing, that this is one of the best Barleywines I have ever tasted!

3.41/5  rDev -17%

To my limited palate, hoppy for a BW or for an Old Ale, (BA classifies as a barley wine but it is called an old ale - go figure), Fairly bold flavors, alcohol significantly present but not unpleasantly so. A sipper for sure, Fair amount of bitterness, not getting any caramel,

I intend to age rest of 6 pack and see if sweeter flavors emerge, Glad I bought, I'll judge after aging whether I'll buy again.

2.6/5  rDev -36.7%

12 oz. bottle packaged Feb. 8, 2006. Beer served in a snifter glass Nov. 17, 2006.

A: Floodwater mud and rust with a 12 iron head composed of silken web-like threads of viscous fluid which slather the glass and adhere to the walls when swirled.

S: Brown sugar and alcohol prevail.

T: Unexpected. Still somewhat sharp in flavor, this beer is overwhelmed to a degree by hot alcohol. Thin caramel and earthy hop oils argue for time. There is also a spot of sticky dark red fruits like plum or cherries.

M: Slightly conflicted. Weight is thin yet lips are left sticky with a dry alcoholic finish.

D: I like a strong beer but this felt overpowered by raw alcohol and not balanced by an appropriately aggressive flavor profile.

While obviously a well-made beer, this Old Ale really didn't hit on any of the flavor components that I was looking for. To echo the advice of previous reviewers: Cellar this beer - 9 months is not enough.

A - Transparent brown with a good carbonation causing some tight bubbles in the middle. Minimal lacing and very faint alcohol legs.

S - Nice bourbon upfront some smokiness and vanilla, caramel and chicory.

T - Dark fruits maltiness and roasted breadiness upfront and some vanilla hit the middle of the mouth before leaving you with a faint hopiness at the back end where you get just a bit of that bourbon flavor at the end of a pull.

M - Much thinner than it drinks with minimal heat. Syruppy sweetiness and sticky drinks incredibly smooth for 10.2%.

O - This is an incredible barleywine and has a real nice drinkability and smoothness that can get someone in trouble if they weren't careful. I would put this up next to Bigfoot in style.

2.63/5  rDev -36%

Bottle has #7695 on it which I assume is the batch number.

Pours a deep, cherry-oak color with a almost burnt-orange head. Also has two-fingers of solid foam, with intricate lacing.

Roasted notes on the nose, with hints of cherry and tobacco.

Something is very unbalanced in this beer. First few drinks are very hot. The malts seem to be fighting with the hops and not balancing each other out. Very resiny, lots of herbal, earthy undertones. But the finish has a very weird, alcohol/hop kick to it that is throwing the whole thing very much out of balance for me.

I had very high hopes for this after the initial pour, but overall seemed to be unbalanced. I'll revisit this with another batch to make sure I didn't get a mistreated bottle.

4.45/5  rDev +8.3%

Pours a deep ruby red with a creamy,sticky head,aromas of dried fruit and of brown sugar a nice robust aroma.Wow what a nice rich complex beer flavors of fruit and dough with some big alcohol notes as this beer warms.A big hearty beer meant to be drank to warm you up,big and chewey just awesome!Thanks AKSmokedPorter for this great brew from the home state.

4.03/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12oz bottle poured into my standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a very dark red. Through a glass, darkly, indeed. Half inch of foam lasts but doesn't overwhelm.

Smell: Sweet smell. Cognac-ish. Definitely boozy. Little hints of fruitiness, but nothing that's particularly close to matching the booziness.

Taste: Sweet, slightly boozy, yet with a surprisingly hint of bitter to the finish. It masks the 10.2% ABV quite well.

Mouthfeel: Sticky, but not obnoxiously so. The bitterness definitely lingers in the mouth well after each sip. Maybe a sort of clay-ish aftertaste.

Overall: Yes, this is something that I'll age in my basement. It's pretty darn good, but I wonder how it'll be in a year or even 6 months. I look forward to revisiting it.

4.82/5  rDev +17.3%

Appearance – Absolutely magnificent! The body is a dark, luscious brown with tons of sediment and the head is tanned and generous. As the foam receded it left a wonderful lacing on the inside of my glass and settled into foamy, bubbly pits on top of the liquid.

Smell – This is a very complex monster. First off, not necessarily in any order, I noticed the mature woody notes. Not that vanilla wood that you get from breweries trying to impart false wood or vanilla flavors in their ales. This is the wood of old.

This is a malty beer with some really big fruits. The aroma contains a fascinating mix of dark fruits, like plums, dates, raisins, and the much-sought tobacco, lighter fruits such as apricots, bananas, and cherries, as well as some easy summer fruits like melon.

The malt itself is heavily-toasted and sopped with alcohol. Not the throat-burning type of booze, but more like the tinge that you get from a good port. It definitely has some portly winey notes for sure. All around, this is one of the most complex and well put-together noses that I’ve ever smelled.

Taste – So, take the description under “Smell”, and make the following changes: add a bit more alcohol, take out the summer fruits, change the “heavily-toasted malts” to “slightly roasty”, add a bit of bittering hops (just a bit), and insert the phrase “full as shit” a few dozen times. There you have it – my interpretation of the taste of this beer.

Also, interestingly, I mentally noted the absence of simple sugars from the nose (other than a bit of cane) but found some brown sugar and caramel at the taste. This defines the term, “complete package”.

Mouthfeel – Almost full-bodied with a wonderful but very light carbonation and some very significant dryness at the finish.

Drinkability – I can’t believe no one has sent me this beer yet. Shame on you all! They should make you taste this before you get your mug icon. This is what “Old Ale” is all about. This has great cellaring potential as well.

Comments – This awesome ale was in good company in the trade I did with feloniousmonk. Just when I thought it couldn’t get any better . . . it did. Thanks a heap for all the great beers that you managed to squeeze into one box.

PS: How does this compare to the great ones? Well, bigger but not as sweet or quite as smooth as Old Stock or Skullsplitter, better balanced but not as big (flavor wise) as Arrogant Bastard, more drinkable than Deschutes (Jubilale), more traditional than Old Woody, lacks the balanced yeast but is more drinkable than the N’ice Chouffe, smoother than Decimator (as if that’s a challenge), beats Traquir House Ale in complexity alone, is most reminiscent of Thomas Hardy, and one small notch below Double Bastard.

Update – I originally had the 2003 in 2004 and so had an opportunity to taste a rightly-aged 2005 in the spring of 2006 thanks to the generosity of BeerGuy. This sample had a little bit more alcohol sting in the mouth, which I love with the style. Other than that it was right on, so I’m raising the Mouthfeel to a perfect 5.0 and calling this one of the best beers I’ve ever had!

4.21/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Took me a minute to realize that this was different than the "Old Ale" I had on tap at Bell's cafe in Kalamazoo. This one pours deep, muddy copper-brown color, opaque and cloudy. Looks very thick and viscous with minimal carbonation. A hard pour produces a creamy tan head that lasts for quite a while.

Aroma is full of many different things - what stands out the most are booze-soaked raisins, burnt brown sugar, rum, and bitter black cherries. Quite a nice combination of smells. Little bitterness or floral notes are picked up on the nose, but they are definitely there in the taste. First sip hits with a heavy, warming alcohol presence, much like that of rum or wine, but is quickly tamed by the sweetness present from the fruity elements - raisins, lots of plums, figs, and caramelized sugar. Slight hops are present, citrus-heavy and leafy, which combat the sweetness quite nicely. The beer finishes on a malt-heavy note, caramel and sugar, with a tight bitter bite at the end. Thick and syrupy body, chewy and pretty heavy on the mouth.

This beer is a sipper but it is totally delicious. Something to warm you up on a cold night, and a nice alternative to sipping a glass of whiskey or wine. I plan to age some of these and see how they turn out.

4.28/5  rDev +4.1%

Review is from notes composed on 12/15/10.

Third Coast Old Ale pours a quite dark ruby-mahogany-brown into a snifter. This color really appeals to my eye. A dark tan head fizzles away quickly and leaves a sinewy and hazy film on top. I can barely see sparse carbonation bubbles moving slowly through the darkness.

Dark fruit aromas lazily waft from the glass. Plum, raisin, fig, and dark cherry combine with big brown sugar notes, caramel, and a little anise. Large inhales of this beer reveal a hefty alcohol burn on my nasal passages. Also emerging from the smell are hearty sweet breads, cinnamon, and other sweet spices.

Big, sweet, comlex malt flavors douse my palate and keep spreading their goodness in my mouth well past the end of the sip. Caramel, brown sugar, connamon, raisin, and sweet breads all blend with a clove flavor and an alcoholic heat that linger on the tongue as long as the sweet malt does.

Oooh, yeah, this is a really great mouthfeel. A creamy medium to full body combines with just enough of a boozy bite on the sides of my mouth to add some extra zest. This really warms the mouth and the soul.

This is a beer that I will definitely be having again and again. I'm pretty sure this is of the '09 vintage. That said, I'll be searching stores to see if there is any of the '10 batch left. I don't think I would drink more than one in a sitting, but at the same time the a.b.v. is well hidden in this brew.

4.17/5  rDev +1.5%

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine March 2007

One of the brewery's biggest beers, and a cold-weather beer for sure. They dubbed this one a "brandy of ales" and suggest that you cellar it.

The viscous liquid pours slow and the tiny bubbles roll to the top to form a stellar tan head. Deep-brown color with garnet edges shows clarity; the yeast was not the least bit disturbed and stayed in the bottle. Very sweet aroma; a tad boozy with slight sherry and fig undertones. Brown bread and baked apples in the nose towards the back. Lush, creamy, smooth mouthfeel with a semi-syrupy body. Caramel sweetness to start; suggestions of burnt raisins, ripe dates, black currants, and cocoa powder come to mind. Modest hop bitterness, there to help balance. Some warmth from the alcohol adds a bit of spice, middle to end. Finishes sweet, with dark malt and ripe fruit.

We couldn't think of another beer to have during a chilly, single-digit winter night. It's definitely a warmer, and certainly a beer that has a lot of cellaring po- tential. We intend to do just that, though our willpower will be tested. A simple Danish blue cheese with figs was a superb pairing.

4.35/5  rDev +5.8%

Pours a murky reddish brown, apple cider color. Smells of caramel, as well as a touch of that "special" Bell's smell. Taste is like a malt bomb going off in my mouth, one with hops on the inside to slay my tongue with. There's a bit of woodiness, and some caramel as well. This is a highly drinkable brew for ABV level.

Wow, another Bell's beer I like. Never thought that would happen. Indeed, this is a very tasty brew, one that warms me up on a cold winter's night.

3.9/5  rDev -5.1%

12oz, no batch number, has probably been in my cellar around 4 years at least.

Pours into my glass a deep brown with garnet accents and a ton of yeast floaties moving all over the place. Not much head on this one only a few bubbles. Aromas start with deep, rich caramel mixed with sherry notes. Dark fruits mix in with some raisins and a bit of wet paper oxidation notes as well. Toffee undertones with lots of maltiness.

First sip brings big caramel malts upfront with a nutty aspect and big sherry tones as well. Dark fruits mix in with earthy yeast and a bit of oxidation. Flows down with a touch of alcohol mixing with the malt sweetness and bit of bitterness.
Rich, deep and tasty.

Mouthfeel is a bit slick and medium bodied...not overly heavy with nice subtle carbonation. Alcohol bit still lingers a bit. Overall, a tasty beer but I think this one is a bit too old for my tastes. Will have to crack open a fresh bottle soon to compare again. Still another solid beer from Bell's

4.23/5  rDev +2.9%

I’ve had this one for quite a while (nearly 2 years), it’s a hold over beer I’ve been saving from when I spent some time up north. I’d been saving it for something and that something came out to be just because. But I digress…

I’m unsure what else you could ask for in the look of an old ale. This beer looks like someone dumped some dirt in a glass and swirled it around with its mud brown color and some relatively large chunks floating around in perfect suspension, barely kept aloft by a little carbonation. Little head, but that was to be expected.

The smell is sweet with malts and a sugary caramel and some apricot hints with a slight musty smell. Nothing over powering. Taste has a bit of alcohol sting to it, that definitely hasn’t gone away over the last two years. Slight hoppy bitterness still lingering around as well. A bit of spiciness stings the tongue and finishes with a yeast flavor. I really enjoy the complexity of this one as it is slightly different that the other barleywine style brews I’ve had.

Mouthfeel is slightly oily but isn’t overly heavy. Drinkability is brought down a bit by the overly warming effect of the alcohol. This is a good beer but not more than one in a night for me.

3.93/5  rDev -4.4%

A_Pours a very deep dark brown.Almost black. Huge billowy khaki colored head that dissipates into a thick ring.Nice lacing.

S_Strong aroma of sweet malt, brown sugar,clove and figs. Alcohol smell present as well.

T_Not as sweet tasting as the smell would indicate but sweet nonetheless. Nice balance of caramel malt , dark fruits and booze. Nice alcohol burn but not off putting.

M_Thick and creamy. Definitely a mouthful.

D_ One is enough for me. Definite winter beer.

4.35/5  rDev +5.8%

Thanks marvin, been looking for this one a while!

Pours a deep carmel with just hints of reddish tint on the edges of the glass. Virtually no head, islands forming on the brim.

Deep medium malt. Barrel aged? Smells bourbon almost. Slightest hop character. I swear there is oak in there.

Deep. Yummy. Bitter and not quite sweet, but warming. I need a class on identifying Old Ale characteristics.

Full bodied, deep warm and smooth. Amazing balance for 10% ABV. I could drink this warm ... I just might ;)

I just love Old Ale's. I dont think there is a better brew. This one is by far my second favorite, only to Hardy's. Definately want more.

3.73/5  rDev -9.2%

Brown like mahogany furniture from NC and tinged red like MI cherries, this appears like the perfect brew for my Heels-MSU matchup this evening. Even have the balance of a MI beer poured into a DR snifter. It's really a cherry brown, and very much lookin' like an old style ale. CO2 bubbles cling to the sides, and the only thing lacking is the heady top's significant staying power.

It smells old and musty-like, without the normal dreaded association. It's like bark and barley with hoppy roots, tart cherries, and Angstrom bitters. It smells old yet powerful--like dad strength. There really is a cherry background that's subtle and masculine, reminiscent of Brut cologne or a a cigarette pack folded underneath a white T-shirt sleeve. It's got a woody, cigar-like character, with the feel of a bourbon barrel. Among the most masculine beers I've ever whiffed.

The taste is old and strong. Civil War Generals drank beers like this. Problem is, I'm a spoiled Generation Y-er with Google access and citrusy IPAs. It's got a neutral, chalky feel indicative of baking soda. Combined with a Bud Light, this old brew would be like your parents mixing baking soda with your toothpaste: tasty enough to be palatable, yet strong enough to be effective. Granted, the strength AND taste come from the same thing here, but it's as if this beer tastes too powerful. It could pass for 15+%! What else could comprise the beverage ingredients? Chocolate, malted barley, grass and tree bark remnants in creek water--I can't stay serious or normal with this one. It tastes old and strong--it is what it is.

The feel is heavy and thick, oily and greasy. It's tough like old-school, real metal cars. This is a Greaser's beer. It's not hoppy--is that why it's an old style ale? The malted barley feels intense on the cheek linings. Perhaps the most feminine quality I detect is a little cinnamon on the palate...must've been washed into the creek in a storm.

I've gone downhill as I analyze this brew, but it's an enjoyable beer. Probably a relatively difficult style for noobs like myself to fairly evaluate. Since it's a well-synthesized beer from such a proficient brewer, it's gotta be among the best old-style beers around. As such, it drinks good.

3.71/5  rDev -9.7%

This is a nice auburn color with a small lacy head. Smells slightly of alcohol and burnt caramel. The taste is hoppy and there's a bite of alcohol. There is a caramel-y taste too. This started outreal bitter but now that it's a little warmer it's not so bad. This is thin in the mouth.

This is another great Bell's beer. I could easily drink a few.

4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured a rich reddish brown with an amazing amount of sediment playing around in there. Light head reduced down fairly quick in my pilsner, went to mostly a light cream colored ring. Just the right amount of carbination. Scent and taste of dark cherries. Nice dark flavorings, good and toasty tasting. Dark cherry, some fruit, caramel and coffee. What lingers is a bit of cherry and burnt toast and a teensy bit of chocolate in the background. The more I sip I think I'm tasting a bit of woodiness. Great and thick, full bodied, but not too heavy. Good full mouthfeel, a bit chewy. Very nice tastes

4.13/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a hazed, auburn orange body, with a three finger, beige head, a result of an overly aggressive pour. Lots of sticky lace is left all over the glass.

Aroma is initially of a lot of assertive fruits, highlighted by a strong note of honeydew melon. Citrusy hops quickly make their presence known.

Mouthfeel reveals a medium to full body, a tingling carbonation, and a restrained vinous character.

Taste is pleasantly complex. There is a strong malt presence, mostly caramel and some toffee. A sweet fruitiness dominates the palate early on, and is replaced midway through, with a powerful hop presence, with lots of pine and grapefruit character. The high abv is also apparent, but is nicely masked for the most part. The finish is dry and mildly bitter, with a grapefruit rind aftertaste.

This is an excellent, strong old ale, but not in the English style, at least not at this young age. This Bell's reminds me more of a Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA, or Bell's Two Hearted Ale. I would guess that with a year, or three, of aging, this will be an exceptional, strong old ale in the English style. At this stage, the hops are still strongly assertive, which is not meant to detract from this wonderful ale. Get a case of this, and cellar it for awhile. You will be glad you did.

4.3/5  rDev +4.6%

Twelve ounce bottle, pours red/orange tinged darker amber, fairly, though not completely clear, long lasting light mocha head and splattered fine lace left behind upon a moderate swirl. Malty, ripe fruit, and some wood in the nose. Rich and tasty creation, Molasses, wood, light smoke, vanilla, ripe fruits all found intermingling on the palate. 10.2% (according to the rear label) nicely hidden in the rear. Fine after dinner sipper/night capper. Still more high test brew from Bells.

3.95/5  rDev -3.9%

Many thanks to the ever so generous Eyedrinkale for this surprise.
I have just recently began truly enjoying this style and I am real pleased to try another from Kalamazoo Brewing Co.
Foam rises as I pop the cap...creeping out of the bottle ever so slowly. Pours a murky rust brown w/ almost a full finger of foamy tan head which rapidly disappears into my Rapscallion snifter glass.
Beautiful aromas of cherries, raisins, and figs w/ no alcohol to be found...how do these guys hide 9% alcohol?
The taste is very enjoyable, but milder than I was expecting from its scent. Semi-sweet malts dominate w/ a touch of bitter hops finishing up the back end. Vanilla and an almost spiced flavor comes out in the finish as well.
Mouthfeel is decent...a bit thinner than the very limited # of old ales I have had to date and a little dry in the finish.
Drinkability is average...I could enjoy a couple of these over the course of an evening if given to opportunity, but certainly not a session brew for me.
I have yet to find an offering I do not like from these fellas...just another solid example of the style.

to view more.
Third Coast Old Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.