Bell's Java Stout - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Java StoutBell's Java Stout

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Stout |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 12-11-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bell's Java Stout Alström Bros
VncentLIFE

batch 10671. no aging this thing. Poured into a Bell's tulip.

pours like a black hole with a semi-thick tan head.

Lots, lots, lots of coffee in the nose with a semi-sweet malt smell.

Well, theres no cherades here--Very bitter, dark, roasted coffee. Very roasted coffee. The taste is like an explosion of espresso roast coffee (or just espresso for that matter). So much coffee it feels bitter. Carbonation is prickly, tingling the tongue while the coffee assaults.

Thick body with an aftertaste of bitter coffee.

Its called Java for a reason.

11-05-2011 15:37:25 | More by VncentLIFE
Sideswipe

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

12oz bottle

Dark brown color. No light penetrates it. A quarter inch of tan foam floats atop the beer for a moment, then dissipates leaving thin lacing. The nose is coffee and milk chocolate. Taste is big coffee up front followed by silky milk chocolate and a mildly roasty malt profile. More coffee in the finish, which is dry with a slight diactyl aftertaste. Feel is somewhat full bodied with a low but appropriate level of carbonation. A nice example of a coffee stout. Perhaps not as complex as some others, but a solid offering nonetheless. Glad I had the opportunity.

11-04-2011 04:32:42 | More by Sideswipe
bcostner1

Tennessee

4.47/5  rDev +14%

A: Very, very dark brown. Just shy of black. Nice, thick, rich tan head. Very nice looking stout.

S: Coffee, coffee, and more coffee. A little bit of bready malt. Cannot stop smelling it...awesome.

T: I love coffee stouts. They are one of my top 3 favorite styles. This one remains one my favorites. The coffee definitely dominates which is fine with me. As it warms, becomes a little more smooth and less "edgy" as the coffee can be when cold. No hops in this one to me. Chocolate undertones. Almost like drinking an iced coffee to me overall.

M: Easy drinker for a coffee stout. At 7.5%, this one is borderline sessionable to me. Could have multiple of it no problem. No too heavy, not too thin...just about right. I wouldn't consider this to be a "big stout" by any means but it brings big flavor without being overbearing.

Of all the coffee stouts I have tried, this one retains its coffee flavors among the best of em and for the longest time which is what ranks it in the upper echelon of the style in my opinion.

11-03-2011 23:44:52 | More by bcostner1
Vierenner

3.4/5  rDev -13.3%

Like chewing on a coffee bean whilst stout beer coats the mouth. And no ordinary coffee bean either ... a deeply roasted bean. It smells delightful ... coffee aromas abound. But the taste is less satisfying. Pungent flavor ... an unbalanced attempt at a java brew.

11-03-2011 00:24:53 | More by Vierenner
minnesotaryan

4.22/5  rDev +7.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a Surly Darkness goblet. Served at 57 degrees.

Appearance: Pours a deep black with about an inch of khaki colored foam.

Smell: Lots of coffee in the nose, roasted malt and little bit of chocolate.

Taste: there is a lot of coffee taste, it has a roasted smokey malt profile. There is some burnt dark chocolate flavors and a little bit of vanilla as well. The coffee really stands out amongst all the other flavors, but the other flavors come out as you sip on it.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, dry finish, nicely carbonated.

Overall: This is great beer, lots of flavor, easy to drink and not hard on the wallet. Bells makes good beer and this is no exception.

10-31-2011 19:30:00 | More by minnesotaryan
UCLABrewN84

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

Thanks to bastu for sending me this one!

Pours an opaque black with a 2 inch dark khaki head that settles to a small cap. Very thin rings of lace line the glass on the drink down. Smell is of dark roasted malt, coffee beans, and cocoa powder. Taste is of dark roasted malt and dark chocolate and cocoa dusted coffee/espresso beans. A mild roasty bitterness on the palate after each sip. This beer has a smooth mouthfeel with a nice light carbonation. Overall, this is a very good coffee stout and probably one of the best I have ever tried. I'm very glad I finally got to try this one.

10-30-2011 01:20:09 | More by UCLABrewN84
warnerry

3.88/5  rDev -1%

From notes. Batch 9992, consumed 1/29/11

A - Pours deep brown/black with three fingers of head with excellent retention.

S - Smell is deep roasted (almost overly roasted) coffee. Also, a bit of chocolate and earthy roasted malts.

T - Initial taste is slight bitterness from the the coffee and some faint hops. A bit of smokiness. Coffee is less intense than Founders Breakfast, but still the dominant flavor.

M - Not mouthcoating, but more of a medium mouthfeel with bright carbonation. Finishes pretty dry.

O - The 7.5% isn't really noticeable. Pretty easy drinking. Hard to not compare this with FBS. Falls short of FBS in pretty much every category, but still a well made and enjoyable stout.

10-24-2011 16:54:29 | More by warnerry
jsprain1

3.93/5  rDev +0.3%

A- Very dark brown. Two finger head, long lasting tan head.
S- The smell is really heavily of coffee. It's a touch sweet, but it is a coffee beer. Pleasing, but one-dimensional.
T- It's a touch more complex here. Coffee, with light chocolate, vanilla, roasted malt. Still overwhelmingly coffee though.
M- Medium full. Smooth, low-level, carbonation.
O- If you love coffee stouts, this is the place to go. It's one-dimensional, but I love the coffee aspect so I found it to be a tasty beer.

10-24-2011 01:58:23 | More by jsprain1
lisomiso

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

I rather like this one! When it was cold the roastiness was a little overpowering - almost smelled like burnt coffee - but as it is warming it's developing into something really delicious. Roast coffee, with an almost Kahlua-like richness. Really good.

10-21-2011 21:52:09 | More by lisomiso
JRed

3.43/5  rDev -12.5%

Black in body with off white head that dissipates. Aroma of chocolate, coffee with milk, cinnamon and some earth. Tastes of chocolate, dark coffee, some strong cinnamon, cola and booze. Heavy in body with medium carbonation. A mediocre coffee stout with unbalanced flavors.

10-19-2011 04:21:53 | More by JRed
dcloeren

3.7/5  rDev -5.6%

Pours a black coffee brown with no light penetrating when held up to the light. The head really exploded up while I poured this beer. Produced 3 fingers of creamy tan head. Thick sticky rings of lace.

The aroma of this stout is dominated by fresh, rich coffee. Smells like a fresh cup of joe. If you like the smell of coffee then the aroma given off by this beer is for you.

Taste follows the nose... completely dominated by rich coffee beans. So much so that I can't really pick up on any of the other flavors in the beer.

Medium bodied while drinking it, thick residue left after each sip. Drying aftertaste of bitter coffee.

This beer is as advertised. I don't know if I can really fault it on the taste for tasting like black coffee... I will say that I thought it was a little one dimensional but definitely not bad tasting. Its spot on as far as coffee goes... The rest of this beer was spot on. Definitely worth trying, especially if you are a coffee lover.

10-18-2011 15:28:15 | More by dcloeren
lurpy1

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

My search for a damn fine Bell's stout continues with a revisiting of this beer I had 6 months ago. They've hit so many other beers out of the park, where's the killer stout?

Pours a deep brown towards black, decent head.

Smell is highly coffee, to be expected. I love the smell of coffee, so this is a good way to get on my good side.

Unfortunately, the coffee is way too forward in terms of taste. Slightly bitter, and it's hard to pick up of anything else, malt, hop, sugars, in the taste profile.

Bell's really does nail the consistency though. Beautifully thick and creamy with just the right amount of carbonation.

This is an almost beer. Almost great. It's like an ingredient away. I still recommend it, I will drink it when offered, I will even by it from time to time, but candidly this doesn't even scratch the surface of my great stouts list.

10-14-2011 13:22:10 | More by lurpy1
bramsdell

Poured from a bottle into an Imp pint glass. Full disclosure, last week I had my first FBS and CBS (on tap!), so I review this beer with those in mind.

A: A very solid looking stout. Nice dark body, but not the level of motor oil that some high ABV stouts have. The head is a very fluffy tan, very much like the head on an expresso.

S: Great. Unlike some coffee stouts, this smells very much like a beer brewed with coffee. Often, I find the coffee-heavy stouts smell like I'm about to drink 12oz of coffee with some malts added in. Not the case here; smells sweet and malty with a solid coffee back.

T: Very impressive. The coffee is definitely the first flavor present, but this is still a beer. The flavor is deep and rich, however it is not burnt or overly-roasted. It does not tastes like an intense expresso, but much more like a full, dark roast of drip-brew. There is no bitterness to the coffee flavor, but the sweetness of the malt, while certainly present, does not make this an overly-sweet brew. It is perfectly balanced between its rich coffee flavor and its malty sweetness.

M: Feels very nice on the tongue. Not too rich, but not something to pound down. The coffee flavor remains on the tongue for quite a time, but it is not the stale-coffee flavor of a cup drank 15 minutes ago. It is just as full and rich as FBS, but only 7.5% (as opposed to, I believe, 8.4%), so it gets the job done.

O: A very solid choice, one I wish I could have again. My only regret is that I have yet to find this on tap, as I believe it would be even better.

10-14-2011 00:48:05 | More by bramsdell
jale

3.6/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a deep dark brown/almost black with a quarter of brown head.

S: Brewed coffee and more brewed coffee.

T: Fresh brewed coffee with a hint of sweetness upfront moving into bitter piney hop bitterness. Finish is a bitter coffee.

M: Medium body with aveerage carbonation.

O: A decent coffee stout.

10-11-2011 22:29:24 | More by jale
jtingue

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%

Bottle dated 9/14/11. Poured into a snifter.

Appearance. Pitch black with no light getting through even around the edges. Pours with a finger of head that quickly dissipates to a thing layer around the side of the glass. Small blobs of lacing cling the side of the glass.

Smell. Large roasty character and some molasses sweetness. Of course, there is also some coffee on the nose. There is also a hint of yeasty esters, that I now notice in nearly every bells beer that I have.

Taste. Starts out with some roasty and coffee bitterness. This is followed by some nice roasty sweetness that again picks up a molassas like flavor. Bitterness returns that is slightly astringent. The finish is filled with coffee which lingers until the next sip.

Mouthfeel. Thick body with a moderate amount of carbonation.

For me a better than average coffee stout. I cant really pick out any aspect of it that blows me away.

10-08-2011 03:55:14 | More by jtingue
FanofHefe

4.22/5  rDev +7.7%

Bottled on 9-14-11 (thank you Bells for superior dating!). Pours a deep brown, nearly black body, that lets very little light through. Two finger mocha head that leaves very good lacing along the glass.

I'm afraid the word coffee is going to appear 900 times in this review, but the aroma is,... wait for it,... coffee. OK, I get a hint of chocolate and toffee as well, but mostly coffee.

The flavor consists mostly of, ummm, ummm, coffee. But, there is also a hint of toffee, chocolate and roasted malt, bringing a bit of bitterness.

The mouthfeel is a little thin for an Imperial Stout, but I almost feel like Coffee Stouts are a style unto themselves, with abv's all over the place. So, I won't hold this against Java. I'm a coffee lover so I like this one very much. Hope to get my hands on as many as possible while they're available.

10-05-2011 00:10:38 | More by FanofHefe
57md

3.93/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours an opaque dark brown, almost black color with a thin tan head. Oddly enough, I am getting both burnt and sweet notes in the nose. There is definitely no sweet flavor here - it is wholesome stout bitterness with a trace of coffee. The finish is a bit flat, but the overall flavor profile is robust. This fits my general feeling about Bell's beers - they are solid and well above average beers, but none are extraordinary.

09-29-2011 05:14:40 | More by 57md
trxxpaxxs

2.7/5  rDev -31.1%

A: Pours a rich and roasty black with a small tan head. The bubbles quickly disappear leaving only a thin tan ring around the top of the beer.

S: Smells mainly of roasted malt and coffee. Good thing considering its a coffee stout.

T: The initial hit is sweet, but the coffee notes quickly take over. Unfortunately that nice coffee doesn't last very long. The taste drastically changes to massive tartness. There is no bottled on date, so I have to assume this beer is well past it's prime. Refermentation perhaps?

M: Medium bodied, lots of thickness but nothing to chew down.

O: The refermentation (or whatever) makes this beer pretty undrinkable. After a few sips, the novelty of a sour coffee beer wears off. I tried this beer for the first time a few months ago and wasn't impressed. Now, the second time around, it's even worse.

09-22-2011 21:55:30 | More by trxxpaxxs
Duff27

3.38/5  rDev -13.8%

No batch number indicated. This bottle is from 2010 though.

A- Half inch medium mocha head on a dark brown/black beer. Head recedes to a ring around the glass, minimal lacing.

S- Deep chocolate/coffee notes...chocolate is more noticeable for me.

T- Roastiness. Chocolate up front, somewhat bitter coffee on the tail-end...I just don't care for this specific flavor much. Well hidden ABV. "Starts off good but goes downhill quick."

M- Thick mouthfeel, I like that a lot. strangely overcarbonated, I don't like that so much.

D/O- I feel like Java Stout could benefit in using higher-grade java. Weird thing to say but I think I prefer my coffee stout homebrew better. It's really a like it or leave it, polarizing beer...as can be seen throughout these reviews.

09-08-2011 03:36:05 | More by Duff27
Gushue3

3.8/5  rDev -3.1%

A-pours very dark brown with a smaller, less than 1 finger khaki colored head. The head has little retention and retention while the body looks black.

S- big coffee bean scent that dominates all things scent. Some sweeter milk chocolate is there too

T- big coffee bean taste woth some roasty malt. Sweet chocolate malt and a tiny hint of vanilla are the too. Roasty, somewhat bitter coffee in the finish, pretty tasty stout.

M- definately a lighter than expected mouthfeel. While not a deal breaker, a nice thicker, fuller feel would help this brew so much. Smaller amount of carbonation with large sized bubbles.

O- not a bad stout at all, so i gave it a slightly higher overall to pick it up a little. Good brew, but pretty one dimensional

08-28-2011 03:32:09 | More by Gushue3
avaldivia

2.88/5  rDev -26.5%

Poured 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Nice very dark brown color. Off white head that dissipated very quickly. Decent lacing.

S: Coffe is definitely present and almost overpowering. Some roasted malts as well.

T: Tastes of stale coffee. I wa very disappointed with the flavor of this. It is ok but I was expecting more from the smell. The coffee just overpowers everything and not in a way I am all too crazy about.

M: Not particularly smooth. Lighter than I was expecting.

O: Reminds me of a stale French Press coffee. I was not crazy about this. I am looking at my past reviews and it looks as if I don't like coffee stouts, but I swear here are quite a few that I do like. This is just not one of them.

08-26-2011 02:32:50 | More by avaldivia
fastd03

1.95/5  rDev -50.3%

Most beers try to walk the tightrope between one flavor and the next, greatly concerned at the prospect of an overbearing flavor. This is not one of those beers! Although I generally like beers, I had no idea as to just how strong the java flavor of this one would be. I generally like milk and sugar with my coffee, admittedly, but I can tolerate coffee black from time to time. The Bell's Java Stout, however, has a stronger coffee flavor than coffee itself! So my recommendation: if you are a coffee fiend, this may just be your holy grail. If you are beer/stout fiend, though, you may want to give this order a second or third thought...

08-08-2011 01:09:48 | More by fastd03
theghost3

Louisiana

4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

Pours a deep, dark brown with a 2-finger khaki head. Lots of layered lacing.

Smell is fresh coffee with a hint of chocolate. The taste is toasty coffee with bittersweet dark chocolate and brown sugar. Mouthfeel is medium to full-bodied, smooth with balanced carbonation and not sticky.

This is a drinkable stout, especially if you love quality coffee. Goes well with desserts.

08-03-2011 03:18:14 | More by theghost3
claspada

2.53/5  rDev -35.5%

Pours a nice dark black body with a lush light khaki-colored head.

Aromas begin with (to be honest) stale, day-old coffee. There's a little more roasted malt smell as well but it's really pretty much stale coffee. Fairly disappointing.

The taste begins with light dark chocolate (if that makes sense). Mildly sweet, chocolate flavor with some sugar laced stale bitter coffee again. The roastiness begins to build alongside an earthy bitterness. As it warms, the tastes shift to burnt malts and scorched coffee, long ago abandoned in a glass pot on the burner. Starts off good but goes downhill quick.

The mouthfeel is medium-bodied with medium carbonation. Silky mouthfeel; the only real highlight of this beer.
Overall, pass just a huge miss as far as coffee beers (or any beer for that matter) goes. I don't plan on finishing this even though it's already mainly gone. Wow, Bells continues to disappoint me beer after beer...

07-24-2011 03:55:39 | More by claspada
Siggy125

3.7/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass. Dark cola in color with latte colored head. 2 finger head, good carbonation. Small amounts of lacing.

Aromas of sour instant coffee, (I not proud to say I know what this smells like), and a unique earthiness.

Taste similar to smell. Black coffee bitterness, tart cocoa, mild ABV warmth. Sweetens a bit with temp, interesting charred dark sugars.

Smooth mouthfeels. Reminded me of an oatmeal stout as it warmed. Decent drinkability.

07-21-2011 01:39:07 | More by Siggy125
Bell's Java Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.