Bell's Java Stout - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Java StoutBell's Java Stout

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Stout |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 12-11-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bell's Java Stout Alström Bros
3.78/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle, batch #9462.

A: Pours pitch black with a tan head that leaves lacing along the sides of the glass.
S: Espresso and dark chocolate waft from this brew with a malty finish.
T: The taste mimicks the smell, but is more dominated
M: Well carbonated with a slightly sticky finish.
D: On the heavier side for a stout, so only somewhat drinkable. Probably wouldn't be able to finish a second in succession.

3.9/5  rDev -0.5%

Had this on 2010-06-13 in Lynchburg, VA

A - Black with a one finger dark tan head

S - Coffee, raisin, sweet malt

T - Dark roasted malt followed quickly by strong, fresh-brewed coffee. There's also a dark roasted malt sweetness, a bit of hop bitterness and coffee astringency.

M - Medium body and light carbonation and a bit creamy

D - Not sessionable but a good tasting, single beer treat. You could have this for breakfast with your leftover pizza.

The beer pours dark brown to black with a tan head. The aroma is a mix of coffee and chocolate. You also get some bitter notes, either from the coffee or the roasted malts. The flavor is heavy on the coffee with some chocolate mixed in. There is some low bitterness in the beer and the coffee lingers in the aftertaste. Medium-thick mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

3.4/5  rDev -13.3%

Poured into snifter...

A: Pours a jet black viscous body with no head, just a thin layer of dark mocha foam forms and falls quickly to a thin ring.

S: Huge aroma of coffee, roasted caramel malt, bittersweet chocolate.

T: Massive flavor of roasted coffee, malt and chocolate on the nose are almost non-existent. Sadly this is too heavily dominated by coffee/espresso to be considered a good example of the style, needs a lot more balance.

M: Medium heavy mouthfeel, nice smooth carbonation and dry on the finish, the abv is well hidden.

D: The mouthfeel helps this beer and as it warms it develops a little more complexity and balance, but overall this beer needs more malt profile and balance to make it a truly great example.

3.85/5  rDev -1.8%

Picked up a single from the Scottsdale AJ's back in late February for $2.99. Part of Batch 9462 bottled 11-19-09.
Beer poured black as night with a bubbly brown head. Nose is sweet mocha and hints of coffee. Taste is heavy on the roasted malts, coffee, sweet mocha, with a bitter coffee hop finish. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied and fairly smooth. Drinkability is pretty good. This is a pretty good beer in which the abv is pretty well hidden, but it is not for the faint of palate as the finish is very strong on the coffee beans-it reminds me of the expresso beans from Trader Joes.

3.08/5  rDev -21.4%

A - A nice very dark brown with a 1 finger cafe head.

S - Lots of roasted coffee as soon as I crack the bottle. Not much else.

T - Bitter, acrid coffee flavors. Some chocolate, but very acrid. I almost want to say that I think this might be infected. Almost sour, even.

M - Tongue-tingling effervesence up front that I don't really look for in a stout. Decent carb and medium heft.

D - The acridness makes this one a hard beer to drink. The alcohol is hidden, but that sour acridness makes it tough going down.

3.78/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

a - Pours a dark brown color with an inch of tan head and light carbonation. Little bit of lacing.

s - Smells of ground coffee, roasted malts, and chocolate.

t - Strong coffee taste, as well as roasted malts. No chocolate like in the smell.

m - Medium body and low carbonation. Smooth and creamy.

d - Not a bad stout. A very strong coffee smell and taste to it. I would have liked a little more but a pretty good beer and definitely worth a shot if you like coffee tasting stouts. Would try again.

3.13/5  rDev -20.2%

I picked this us as I have long been a fan of Bell's.

I poured this, not a great head and it dissipated quite rapidly. I was dissapointed in the aroma. I was expecting a nice roasty, coffee scent and was rewarded was next to nothing.

My first taste found only a muted coffee flavor, and a very average malt/bitterness. I tasted watery, though had good mouthfeel.

To be fair, I picked this up in April, and who knows how long it had been sitting on the store shelf.

In a pinch, I could drink it, but for the price there are far better stouts to be had.

A- Black with tan head
S- strong coffee smell
T- creamy/malty flavor, medium coffee flavor
MF- Medium to heavy body; low to medium carbonation
D- easy to drink for a stout. not my top pick but definitely id I'm in the mood for a coffee rich flavor dark beer I would choose this one.

2.55/5  rDev -34.9%

Looks excellent. Smells like ground coffee. Tastes like ground coffee beans. Not getting much else. An acrid aftertaste. Not very drinkable IMO. Very one dimensional for me. I like my beer to taste a little bit like coffee. This is coffee that tastes a little like beer.

3.95/5  rDev +0.8%

A: Dark brown/black. Almost no light shines through. A hard pour yields a dark tan head. Slight lacing, but it doesn't hang around for long.

S: Coffee that's been sitting around for a few hours. Slight chocolate sweetness. A slight syrupy/alcoholic scent as well.

T: The name of this brew sums it up nicely: Java Stout. Coffee and lots of it. Overtones of dark chocolate. A bit of brown sugar hidden in the background somewhere. Alcohol isn't too present, but it's there. Slightly syrupy on the aftertaste, but still highly drinkable.

M: Astringent tingling. A little syrupy.

D: I went through this bottle much faster than expected. Could and would session this beer. Tastes great. Easy drinking for sure.

Overall: Another highly enjoyable offering from Bell's. A bit pricey, but it's worth it. Would be a nice desert or after dinner beer. The taste and drinkability really sold me on this one. If you enjoy coffee and American stouts, I'd recommend it.

appearance: deep dark brown, very stoutish, nice lacing and head retention

smell: like a black cup of coffee. powerful roasted malt.

taste: heavy bitterness, perhaps too much. not balanced. great coffee flavor though.

mouthfeel: medium bodied stout

drinkability: I would buy again because there's not alot of coffee brews in my area. But, i could have used more balance between bitter and sweet.

3.85/5  rDev -1.8%

poured a thick black into a dogfish head signature glass with a half finger beige colored head that dissipated quickly leaving a thin rim along the sides of the glass until the beer was finished.

very hearty stout with a strong coffee nose. dark, smooth, malty, with the coffee opening up even further as the beer warms a bit.

4.1/5  rDev +4.6%

Appearance - Pours very deep brown, black. Dark brown highlights, the thin tan head leaves splotchy lacing behind.
Smell - Intense nose of coffee, roasted malts. Tremendous armoa.
Taste - Roasted coffee grounds, nice bitter hops.
Mouthfeel - Medium-full body, moderate carbonation.
Drinkability - Although I do not imagine I would want to session this, it is a very enjoyable beer and one that I went through a bit faster than expected.

A - Pour is a deep yet clear brown that when in the glass and held up to the light is nearly black, save the edges. Head is a nice foamy 2 finger ordeal that is pretty consistent in terms of bubble size. And leaves some lacing

S - Raw chocolate and coffee. Really fresh and strong aroma, smells bitter and clean.

T - Lot's of coffee! Tastes like I brewed a cup in the morning and finished it 4 hours later...in a good way. Also fresh chocolate. Otherwise it's pretty clean like a nice stout should be.

M/D - Average body, not much residual sweetness which indicates a full fermentation. Nice drink but not sure how many I'd put down.

3.88/5  rDev -1%

Poured into a nonic pint glass.
A. Pours a a very dark black with a creamy tan head that leaves little residual lacing.
S. Dark roasted malt, coffee
T. Dark roasted malt up front that leads to coffee bitterness and a dry finish; difficult to detect any more interesting stout flavors
M. a bit thin with prickly carbonation
D. Hides it's alcohol well; I could easily knock several of these back without realizing it

Nothing more or less than it's name suggests: an unadulterated java stout

When did I pick up a second of these? Well, since I inadvertently reviewed it twice, here's my newer review:

A. Pours a very dark black with a dark tan head that dissipates quickly and leaves little residual lacing.
S. Acidic coffee and very dark roasted malts.
T. Coffee beans upfront. Unfortunately there's not much else going on.
M. Thinner than I'd like for a stout, but the carbonation level is nice and creamy.
D. Can I drink this while I study tomorrow instead of coffee? Delicious, but definitely for the coffee lover.

It's called a Java Stout and the dancing coffee cup on the front makes it very clear what they were shooting for so I can't really dock them for not being more complex, but I'd really like to see some of the other more traditional stout flavors join the party (caramel, chocolate, dark fruits).

Poured into a snifter

A: Nice Black color with little to no head could be because the way I poured it however a little disappointing

S: This brew has a very rich and nice coffee and chocolate aroma to it which I personally enjoy.

T: The Coffee in this really comes out in the taste also with a chocolate undertone and the flavor lingers in your mouth for quite awhile.

M: the Mouthfeel is decent with a pretty good carbonation to it

D: I like stouts however I don't believe I could drink more than one of these I bet it would taste better on tap

4.47/5  rDev +14%

Poured into a pint glass

A: Aggressive pour yields 1/3 finger of tan head with poor retention. Head subsides to a thin ring. I'd like better retention. Nearly opaque dark brown liquid. Love the label.

S: Strong black coffee aroma with a hint of char, like black patent malt. Roasty!

T: Oh yeah, love the nice, sweet creaminess. Chocolate, and cream stand out. Great bitter roast with small hoppiness. Not perfect, but darn close. Another solid stout from Bell's!

M: Bitter, smooth, roasty.

D: Yeah! I'd order another and buy a sixer.

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

New Beer Friday! A huge thanks to my buddy kzoobrew for this great extra from a long time ago. Cheers!

Appearance - Pours into my SA Perfect Pint with a dark chocolate color, obtaining over two fingers of dark mocha colored head that does not appear to be going anywhere anytime soon. The lacing is just sticking in thick clumps to the side of the glass.

Smell - Heavy roasted coffee (duh...) at the forefront followed by some sweet roasted malts, chocolate, and caramel.

Taste - Holy cow, this tastes exactly like a coffee chocolate (mocha) beer! This is much better than I anticipated it was going to be (not the "hugest" fan of these coffee beers). Some of these type of beers in the past taste like "day old coffee" that has been sitting there. This has a fresh, lively flavor to it. Honestly, this is extremely freaking good. The irony is I don't drink coffee (rarely mochas which is essentially a glorified hot chocolate) and I think this tastes good. This is partly due to its body (more on that later). Also, this is not a bitter coffee/chocolate beer. There is great aforementioned flavors, but not in the bitter sense. An extremely nice malt balance.

Mouthfeel - Extremely creamy...honestly this may be one of the most creamy/thick beers I've tasted. Oddly many people rate the "feel" not very high...for me this is what is making the beer for me.

Drinkability - I would certainly seek these out again in the future if I want an after dinner beer. Now that I've been on BA for over a year, and have tried my fair share of great beers...it takes quite a beer to "blow me away" and oddly this one totally did it. I really am enjoying this right now and glad I waited until I was in "the mood" to have a good stout (instead of forcing a new beer just to try it). Bells grows ever higher on my favorite brewery list!

3.25/5  rDev -17.1%

I have been following the hop head movement lately so this was one of the first stouts I have had in a while so that might explain some of my thoughts on it.

I didnt catch much of anything except for roasted malts in the smell. The beer is dark as night with a small carmel head. Maybe it was too cold at first but my first taste reminded me of spent coffee grounds, rather than the taste of freshly brewed expresso. As it warmed up the taste developed immensely. Obviously expresso, some cocoa, and anise notes hit me.

I didnt find this the most drinkable beer, but I had no problem finishing it.

I wouldnt run out and get this again but it didnt hurt to buy a single bottle of it and I will probably try it again to make sure I didnt get a bad bottle.

Poured into a snifter.

A- Dark, dark brown, not quite black, but it's almost there. A 1/2'' tan head that quickly fades. Some moderate lacing left.

S- Big coffee, roasted malts, more coffee, and some milk chocolate.

T- The nose is right on here. Maybe a little more on the espresso side of coffee though. The roasted malts shine through and are not overshadowed by the coffee. Hints of milk chocolate are noticeable, however, they are in the backseat.

M- Pretty smooth and creamy.

D- I could def drink a few. Will I drink it all night...no.

4.05/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint...

A: Pours an opaque brownish black with a small, light brown head, which doesn't seem to last long at all, but fades to a thin, whispy, velvety layer. small amounts of lacing in tiny arches and spots.

S: loads of coffee, vanilla, licorice, and chocolate.

T: rich flavors of dark roasted coffee beans, milk chocolate, and vanilla. Finishes with sharp espresso, dark chocolate, licorice, and vanilla. alcohol becomes more noticeable as it warms

M: Full body, thick and oily. finishes dry, with a warm boozy finish.

Overall, if you're a coffee drinker you will enjoy this stout. However, for the price (16 bucks a sixer), I can't help but still feel I paid too much after having tried it. If you got the dough, sip this joe. If you desire something that pushes the envelope, look elsewhere.

3.48/5  rDev -11.2%

Look: Nearly black color, medium tan head with decent retention & good lacing

Smell: It screams dark roasted coffee

Taste: Up Front: Slightly tart, and then a huge blast of espresso. Finish: Dark roast coffee, and earthiness

Mouthfeel: Medium body & carbonation, creamy

Drinkability: If you really like coffee, the score would be a little higher

Overall Impression: I DO like coffee, stouts, and coffee stouts, but this was just a bit over-the-top in the coffee department for me

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a light brown two finger head. Billowy head sticks around for a while and forms nice lacing. Fairly thick pour, dark brown, practically black with no light coming through.

S: Huge, strong notes of roasted espresso and coffee. Roasted malts as well. Smells like a canned up concentration of a local coffee house. Overpowering coffee smell to be expected in a Java Stout.

T: The coffee and espresso comes in but is mixed with chocolate and sharp bitter sweet taste. Roasted malts. The sweetness isn't from the malts and degrades the taste a bit - it's almost a sour sweet.

M: Very smooth and creamy. Moderate carbonation. Coffee sticks to the mouth for a while.

D: I like this for a coffee stout, but don't know how many I could have in a sitting. The sweetness noted in the taste discounts the drinkability.

3.1/5  rDev -20.9%

A: Jet black and can't see through this beer at all. Nice tan colored head. Not red, not beige. Head disapeared quite quickly

S: It smells exactely like the coffee grounds left in the filter from the day before. Actually disapointing, as I would have thought the smell would have been of fresh coffee. Burnt, stale smell.

T: Ok so not bad. I have had better coffee stouts. Again, this beer feels like a stout was mixed with left over coffee. Bitter, but not in a good way.

M: Full bodied, which I enjoy. Coats the mouth nicely.

D: Bells produces some outstanding products. This one is not one of them. Average at best. Full bodied, which I enjoy, but I can't get past the smell and taste of old, soggy, day old coffee grounds.

Bell's Java Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.