Bell's Java Stout - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Java StoutBell's Java Stout

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Stout |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 12-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bell's Java Stout Alström Bros
4.22/5  rDev +7.7%

A-Pours a deep, opaque black with a nice tan head and some pretty good lacing.

S-Roasty espresso, dark chocolate and sweet caramel malts.

T-Very tasty indeed. Sweet caramel in the front, followed by some bittersweet chocolate, finsihing with a strong burst of roasted coffee.

M-A little oily with medium carbonation.

D-A very drinkable stout. Complex, flavorful, moderate ABV.

Another great stout from Bell's.

HV

sholland119, Nov 14, 2008

12oz bottle.

Poured a dark black color with a huge sized (5 finger) brown head. Aromas of coffee grounds, roasted malts, and chocolate. Tastes of chocolate, coffee, caramel, and roasted malts. Lots of lacing left on the glass.

Notes from 12/22/05

hopdog, Nov 13, 2008

A - I don't know if I have ever seen anything pour out of a bottle as black as this.
S - huge smell to it. Very burnt malts and chocolate, with a lot of coffee.
T - this is the definition of roasted malts and coffee flavors in a stout. Very rich burnt malt and coffee flavors that aren't too overpowering. There is also a little bit of semi-sweet chocolate detectible.
M - a little watery and thin
D - after spending the last couple of hours working on a paper, this was a welcomed break. If drinking these in succession I am sure they will catch up rather quickly with a 7.5% alcohol; plus the richness of the flavors might tire you out after a while. If you are a coffee drinker then I know that you will enjoy this Bell's offering without a doubt.

birchstick, Nov 12, 2008
3.28/5  rDev -16.3%

Talk about deja-vu, I tweaked an oatmeal stout recipe last year and brewed up a coffe stout that was extremely similar to this one. Choked down about half the batch and ended up dumping the rest, just too many coffee beans used. This one is much smoother and tastier, but still not to my expected liking. Aroma is intriguing, lots of ground coffee bean to the nose but with a decent amount of dark malt to make it enjoyable. Dark pour, head soon diminishes, and no lacing very sub-par for a stout. Thin mouthfeel even a touch watery, happens more often than I allow myself to admit w/ Bell's beers. Flavor is a solid blend of dark and roated malt with a ton of coffee, again just too much focus on the bean it really detracts from the decency of a good stout. I applaud the effort but not something I'd spend my cash on again.

kinger, Nov 12, 2008
4.72/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of my all time favorite beers.

Love coffee + Love beer = Love Bell's Java Stout!

This is one exceptional tasty brew. Too bad Bells has put this one on hold for a short time. Good thing I stocked up.

What a day it would be to wake up and be able to pour one of these. Breakfast of Champiions. You could become an Olympic athlete drinking Bell's.

A - Excellent. Dark. Black. Smokey. Thick. Beautiful.

S - Strong Coffee plus beer. Great combination.

T - Oh Yeah....that is what I am talking about. Sticks to the mouth and the ribs. Slides down and you taste it all the way. Just hold it on the tongue and swirl it around for a few seconds. You will be hooked. An incredible black strong stout that has been flavored with a good strong coffee. Has a smokey flavor. When I drink one of these, I should be out next to the grill or out on the lake at 6:00 am fishing for largemouth.

M - Thick. Wonderful. Slippery. Awesome.

D - At 7.5% alcohol, not too many and you are off to a good day. Alcohol? What alcohol? Is covered up by the fantastic taste of this great beer from one of my favorite Brewers.

Thanks Karl for indroducing me to them over 15 years ago while in Michigan. Went to the original brewery and had sandwiches and a few beers. Still a hole in the wall back then. Now look at them.

schellsbeer, Nov 05, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +11.7%

Review #700
I got this brew in a trade with Greggy, Thanks Greg!

12oz bottle served in a tulip glass.

L - black with a bubbly tan head that left strands of sticky lacing on the glass.

S - roasted coffee and black licorice.

T - rich roasted taste, I got espresso coffee, bittersweet chocolate and hints of licorice...
whatever, this is a very tasty brew.

F - full bodied with a creamy feel.

D - drinking one of these is a delicious experience, savour the incredible flavors slowly.

JoeyBeerBelly, Nov 05, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

12 oz. non-dated bottle at 59F.

Pours opaque black, with a rich upswell of brown foam through the body. A two inch head of froth sat for several minutes before dropping to a mostly placid surface. A few strings of lacey remnants on the glass post-facto.

Aromatics lead off with dark, rich coffee, bitter, dark chocolate, fudge batter, and char. Hints of smouldering embers, Kahlua, and Black Forest batter follow through.

Full bodied with a creamy, chewy, viscous mouthfeel. Velvety with a solid gription.

A blend of roasted malts, ground coffee beans, and bitter chocolate start the palate.
Fudge chunks, cocoa nubs, espresso, and chocolate liqueur follow through.

Finishes with lingering rich, dark chocolate, coffee grounds, and warming Kahlua overtones.

This one blows away the re-issue of Doubleblack Stout. I'd love to try the Bourbon barrel aged version.

brewandbbq, Nov 04, 2008
3.88/5  rDev -1%

A - Opaque black with tiny coffee head

S - Lots of coffee and what I preceived as a little bourbon flavor

T - Lots of coffee with little hop and malt profile a little crisp

M - Medium body with medium carbonation

D - Pretty good for a coffee stout but not something I would always want to drink

midaszero, Nov 02, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

Had a pitch black appearance with a brown head ring. Has hints of spider web lacing as it receded.

Roasted malt and mild coffee bean with a touch of light chocolate.

Deep roasted malt flavor and somewhat surprised to say in light of other reviews but a mild coffee flavor. Has a very smooth flavor, balance is definitely the strength.

Smooth and creamy with actually a light carbonation. Nice mouthfeel overall.

A very tasty and easy drinking brew. Probably one of the better sessionable stouts I have had. Surprised by the light coffee flavor but overall quality makes up for it in aces. Now I look forward to trying the Expedition stout.

Zadok, Oct 30, 2008
3.93/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured from the bottle into a standard pint. Solid black body with not much head to speak of. Spotty lace and bubbles.

Aroma boasts some toasted grains, sweet creaminess, and dark chocolate notes. I do not detect much if any coffee aromas. The nose is not nearly as robust as I like from this type of beer. I like being able to smell an Imperial Stout as it is being poured, and I have to really struggle to get much from this one. As the beer warms a bit the coffee does begin to come through in the aroma a bit.

Flavor is much better than the look and aroma. Very dark, roasted, and properly bitter. I say "properly" as it is not overly bitter for it's own sake, yet it has the firm substantial bitterness necessary in a beer of this style. A fresh coffee flavor shines through, and blends with a creamy ghost of sweetness as well as more bitter dark chocolates.

HugoGrim, Oct 23, 2008

12oz bottle in pint glass

this one pours black with one finger of dark head. it smells sweet, creamy and coffee like. it has a creamy medium body. the coffee taste is not very strong, although the flavor is more sharp, like black coffee. there is a nice roastiness as it warms and opens up. the aftertaste is like fresh raw coffee beans. well balanced and drinkable.

ph2001, Oct 19, 2008
3.23/5  rDev -17.6%

Let this puppy warm to high 50's hoping for more enjoyment than the previous few in the 30's/40's... no such luck.

Pours black with a short, tan head which quickly disappeared.

Coffee? Yes. But also a strangely acidic, chemical smell which was a big turnoff.

Tasted of bittersweet coffee beans, with a biting aftertaste.

Very carbonated/effervescent. Thick and cloying after-film.

Ok on drinkability, and my suggestion to Bell's is to either tone down the beans, or somehow improve the overall smoothness. p.s. I'm a big coffee fan, drinking "Starbucks-style" dark coffee every day, so it's not that I'm not used to the acidity.

BeerImmediately, Oct 18, 2008

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Bought a couple of these a few years ago and tried one initially and wasn't that impressed. Seemed too much into the strong coffee flavors and less on the stout - definitely needed more balance. Just cracked open the other tonight that has been aging for about 3 years and it was delicious.

A: typical stout - pretty dark and not much light penetration. Light head with small bubbles - lasted to the bottom of the glass.
S: actually smelled really sour and made me question whether it was still able to drink. Coffee, campfire smoke, hints of dark chocolate
T: really smooth. Again chocolate, smoky, day old office coffee (that sounds bad but it was actually good). The aged version drops off a lot of the harsh coffee taste.
M: think and syrupy, great viscosity
D: pretty drinkable given the abv and definitely easier to put down than the fresh ones.

Wish I would have picked up a sixer to let sit in the cellar for a couple of years - after 2-3 years these are golden.

JoeySchlitz, Oct 11, 2008
4.28/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours very dark brown almost black. An off brown small head that fades away quickly.

S - Fresh ground coffee beans some chocolate malts.

T - Extremly smooth, no bitter java taste. Like the smell, a very fresh ground coffee taste combined with a fine stout that has a dark roasted malt dominance. What a great job at combining the two.

M - Awesome. Thin and a very slight java taste is left on the palate.

D - Very high, what a smooth brew here.

Yesac, Oct 11, 2008
2.6/5  rDev -33.7%

A friend had bought a six pack of these, but didn't like them so gave what he had left to me. Didn't have it for awhile, but when I finally popped it open, it left me disappointed.
A: Dark brown to black, with sizable head.
S: Very pungent and piquant smell. Has a strong espresso/bitter coffee smell mixed with an equally strong odor of hot red peppers.
T: The smell mingles with the flavor--although the coffee is stronger. But the peppery flavor still persists--I guess something that I don't terribly prefer in a beer.
M: Mouthfeel is generally good and like most stouts I've had.
D: Because of the taste, I wouldn't consider this very drinkable. I split the bottle with a friend, and both of us had a hard time wanting to finish.
Not sure if I ought to have had this sooner, and that is why the taste was funky. Haven't had any other American double stouts although have had a fair share of RIS. Oddly, I am also not a huge fan of Bell's RIS--the Expedition Stout, while I really enjoy most of their other beers.

lhaqq, Oct 04, 2008
4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

Got this from the most generous maximum12. Yet another reason Tim Duncan is one of my favorite NBA players in the last decade.

Pours completely black with a thin light brown head. The head dissipates quickly into a wispy layer of bubbles on top and a thin ring around the glass. There's a good amount of lacing despite the thin head.

Smells good. Lots of roasted malts with a healthy dose of bitter coffee aroma.

Tastes very similar to how it smells. Roasted malt flavors up front, that gets sweeter as the beer warms. There's also a big hit of coffee at the end and a bitterness that lingers well after I'm done with the sip. No hint of the alcohol.

Mouthfeel is very good. It's got a great thickness, and the carbonation has to fight through the viscous beer. Very smooth.

Drinkability is good. The bitterness is just a tad over the top, but everything else is spot on.

Overall I'm glad that I had the opportunity to try this. I would have no problem drinking a few more of these. Definitely worth a shot.

glid02, Oct 04, 2008
4.08/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours from the bottle a deep black/ebony color under a 1/2 " dense tan head. Attractive foam retention with creamy, paisley shaped swirls accumulated on the surface. No lacing noted.

Aromas nicely show off a rich, dense freshly ground espresso bean presence supported by fainter smells of vanilla bean, dark chocolate and blackstrap molasses.

Mouthfeel was great for this beer style being creamy and smooth, but not overtly heavy or thick.

Initial flavor starts out bittersweet with notes of dark espresso, semi-sweet chocolate, roasted malts and vanilla cream. Finishes with some mild alcohol warmness and a touch of hop/fresh-brewed coffee bitterness and acidity.

If you're looking to sample a coffee flavored stout I would say this would be one of the best to try.

macster, Sep 28, 2008
3.83/5  rDev -2.3%

Appearance: Deep black brew with a rough, tan colored head

Smell: Coffee, vanilla, roast malt and molasses

Taste: Hints of vanilla behind a wall of bitter chocolate and coffee. Malt shows up at the end and in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full bodied brew. Good alcohol presence provides warmth.

Drinkablity: An interesting brew with strong character. Very enjoyable with a brunch.

SargeC, Sep 27, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Very dark black with brown around the edges. It had a nice tan head that dissapates quickly but left nice thick lacing.

N: Bitter coffee scents that give way to some chocolate and roasted malts. There is slight sweetness in the end of the nose as well that I can't put my finger on, but very interesting.

T: First off the coffee blast as this is a java stout. Then once the initial coffee taste wears down I got a big blast of chocolate, but not to bitter. This packed some sweetness. It tasted a bit creamy then bitter on the finish. This was very unexpected to what I would get out of a traditional coffee beer. It's more than just the bitter richness. This is a deep beer.

M: Nice and creamy. Slightly acidic but matched well with medium carbonation. Feels like you're drinking a cup of beer-coffee..

D: I could see myself sneaking this into my coffee mug at my office. No one would ever know! This was great. It was very diverse from what I expected to get from a java stout. It's a shame I heard that they aren't brewing this anymore, or at least for a while. Bell's wins again with this one. I recommend you have some while you still can.

ShrLSU, Sep 25, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +13.5%

Appearance - Color is a deep black with a sort of burnt brown around the edges. Very ample lacing which is to be expected from an imperial stout. Thin layer of head which was a nesquick color.

Smell - After working as a manager in a coffee house, I can tell you that this one carries an espresso smell worthy of the java stout label. It has the burnt almost smokey quality with more of a sweet chocolate smell than I thought would be there.

Taste & Mouthfeel - Maybe i'm in the minority on this one, but I find it hugely diverse. Most coffee stouts just blast away at your taste buds with a harsh bitterness that masks any other flavor in the beer. Don't get me wrong this has a big espresso bill, but they added such a wonderful handful of chocolate to give it a little sweetness. It's kinda like adding sugar and cream to your coffee. Mouthfeel is not bitter and biting, but rather smooth and gentle. It doesn't have the huge body that rakes at the side of your mouth, but I kinda like that about this one.

Drinkability - The Peche Mortel gets all the pub, and while it's good it's a little to harsh for my tastes. This is another triumph for bells. Do they do anything wrong? I'm sad that this beer is no longer brewed as it is my first and maybe last time i'll ever have it.

ryrust5301, Sep 25, 2008
4.28/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Black, no light comes through when it is held up to my lamp. Dark tan, frothy head.

S: Coffee, caramelized sugar, with a hint of alcohol ester.

T: Coffee but more of a balanced flavor than what I was expecting given the name and the strong coffee aroma. Sweet and malty in the middle before ending in a bitter blend of coffee and chocolate.

M: Perfect level of carbonation. Creamy and smooth without being syrupy. Barely sticky at the end. Very nice.

D: More please. I'm not a huge fan of coffee this or java that in my beer but this I can do plenty of.

leif86, Sep 22, 2008
3.48/5  rDev -11.2%

Thanks to nflmvp for this bottle.

Pours almost completely black with a nice head that fades quickly but leaves behind a little lacing.

Smell is dark coffee, dark chocolates, and slight malts.

Taste is more complex sweet caramels up front followed quick and strong by the coffee. Finishes like that cup of joe that sat too long in the pot and is now coffee concentrate. Coffee overtakes alot of the malts when its cold. Warming reveals a bit more character.

Mouthfeel is light with smalll bubbles with a slight bit of of slickness in the finish.

Drinkability is good. The only other beer in this style that I've liked has been Valdez, and this is kinda a less complex version of that. If its really 7.5% I'd be shocked.

jraycee, Sep 20, 2008
3.85/5  rDev -1.8%

Thanks to Sebletitje for the bottles.

A: Black as night with a deep brown corona around the edge. Unexpected inch of head that receded amazingly fast. Bizarre lace, almost a camoflage pattern.

N: Bitter coffee grounds and German chocolate cake. Not complex, but what do you expect? Coffee is damn pungent.

T: Up front, like coffee that has been sitting out for a while. But somehow, that's not a bad thing at all. Mid-palate, a burst of chocolate. Sweeter than I would have expected based on the smell, kind of like a java chip frappuchino from Starbucks. Delicious. Then the chocolate recedes into the background almost as abruptly as it appeared, leading back to the coffee. Left me with a long lasting bitterish taste, and pleasantly acidic. Is that from the hops or the coffee?

M: Hmm. Thin and creamy. Is that even possible? Could be more full bodied, but the carbonation matches it well.

D: Very drinkable. Seems like I should be enjoying it at a nice little cafe with some almond biscotti. Or maybe pouring it over some vanilla icecream.

9/15/2008
Couldn't help myself. Made a beer float with the Java Stout and vanilla bean icecream. This is what happy tastes like.

7ways, Sep 13, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +11%

This little dip in the tempature has me reaching for stouts.

A: Poured black with only the slightest hints of brown around the edge when held directly up to light. Massive two fingers of fluffy mocha head. Good amount of lacing.

S: Massive bitter coffee nose. Almost smells like hot peppers as well. Weird.

T: Super bitter right up front. Massive coffee taste. Then it goes into this nice chocolate The bitterness really lingers afterwards. This is up there with massive coffee taste.

M: A little bit thiner than I would like but it is still a heavy body. The taste almost demands a body that could be described as tar.

D: Splitting a 12oz bottle is nice. The bitterness and massive coffee taste cuts down in drinkability. Really nice beer. I will probably be awake for 3 days now.

aerozeppl, Sep 11, 2008
4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

Bottle from Market Street Wine, downtown location, Charlottesville, VA. Poured into a traditional American pint glass.

Appearance: A thick, deep, coffee-brown bodied beer with some delicate spidery lacing and a one-finger tan head with slightly below-average retention. Attractive.

Aroma: A pretty full roast, but lacking a little in crisp freshness. It's heavily roasted, earthy - nice, but a little one-dimensional.

Taste: Lots of dirty, earthy ground coffee - milky and creamy, sweet without being too sweet. Two creams, one sugar, I'd say. There're other toasted hints - dark chocolate, some smoky toast - a very mild hop bitterness, and a couple heavier, darker fruity esters.

Mouthfeel: Fairly even, a little slick and oily, small-to-medium bubbled, lots of milky creaminess. Nice.

Drinkability: Not the most natural or the best coffee stout I've ever had (that honor probably goes to the Peche Mortel, if we're talking purely about pure coffee stouts), but not a bad one.

CrellMoset, Sep 07, 2008
Bell's Java Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.