Bell's Java Stout - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Java StoutBell's Java Stout

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Stout |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 12-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bell's Java Stout Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

I picked up two Java Stouts at Kahn’s, one for a try and one for after I got back to SoCal. Poured from a 12oz. brown bottle with a picture of a hyperactive cup of joe on the label, I was struck by the impression that I was pouring a giant espresso from a beer bottle. Java Stout has a color that would make Marine coffee proud and was topped with a creamy, thick mocha head. The head welded itself to the glass, leaving behind clumps of sticky lace like fallen soldiers.
The smell was a solid kick in the snoot of earthy dark malts, hints of bittersweet chocolate, and roasted coffee. The taste was reminiscent of my days in the Corps, in the field, drinking some old coffee out of a canteen cup. Or sitting in a bar in Korea, drinking a beer in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other. The taste was strikingly bittersweet, strong of espresso coffee, no sugar or cream, please. This brew ain’t no café latte. Great big coffee flavor and roasted malt goodness with a nicely hopped finish. The feel is full, rich, and silky smooth.
This beer is a wonderful offering from Kalamazoo Brewing. They put two of my favorite drinks together in one for me and I can’t thank them enough. I can’t wait for Bell’s to finally reach SoCal.

Boilermaker88, Nov 07, 2003
4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

Yes, coffee. A good amount of chocolate as well. The nose is all freshly ground coffee -- good coffee. But, unlike many flavored beers, the Bell's Java Stout tastes like a stout; it tastes like a GREAT stout. The coffee flavor is predominant with notes of milder brown ale style malts that contribute a brief fruity sweetness to the brew. The finish is lightly bitter and drying. This is an outstanding brew. For novelty's sake, I thought I'd have it first thing in the morning. I'd never had a beer at 9am before. GOOD MORNING GOOD MORNING GOOD MORNING.

Oh, and in case you're wondering about the caffeine, my girlfriend would love my hands right now. That's disgusting. Bye.

Relax, relax.
ng

ngandhi, Oct 29, 2003
4.58/5  rDev +16.8%

Served slightly chilled at a Bell's tasting at the Brickskellar.

Appearance: Black as Satan's heart with a dark tan head. A modest layer of foam is left after a few minutes. I didn't notice if lacing was left as I wanted to drink this before my girlfriend got any ideas about my sample.

Smell: Coffee! Coffee! Coffee! And not that smell that's close, but not quite, "coffee" you get from malt, but honest-to-Bob-cuppa-Joe-wake-yer-ass-up-in-the-morning coffee.

Taste: Bitter coffee taste. Nice and dark. Good malt backing. Dark Dark taste, like I imagine my soul to be. Where's the cream and sugar?

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly liht in body with great carbonation.

Drinkability: Hell Yeah! I felt like a drunken squirrel! A whole bottle might be a bit hazardous, but I will be fighting my girlfriend for this anyways and sharing is caring. Thank God for beertrading.

ManekiNeko, Oct 23, 2003
4.43/5  rDev +13%

Presentation: Sits on my desk in a 12 ounce long neck bottle that looks exactly like that of the BA Database picture. Unlike other Bell’s beers it had a plain gold crown cap and has no neck label I noted. A rather manic looking Cup of Java on the label adequately sums up the beers appeal. No freshness date or alcoholic strength indicated.

Appearance: Holy shit – this look f**’in good and incredibly inviting. It sits in my Imperial Pint Glass, ebonious and impervious to light. Dunked from the bottle with little finesse, it stills looks absolutely superb as the massive dark brown head, which looks like low-fat milk drenched in Kellogg’s Chocolate Rice Crispies, sits proudly above the beer. Surprisingly it has little conditioning. Nevertheless, Excellent turn out.

Nose: Well, it is no turn up for the books that this reeks of Coffee. They say packing Drugs in fresh Coffee can even fool the Customs “sniffer dogs” – maybe so, because apart from the Coffee I did not get much else here, except some roasted malts perhaps. Who cares?

Taste: Big Coffee tastes start this beer and dominate the first 50%. Eventually dark roasted malts break through against a background of incredible bitterness that I have a hard time working out the source of. Hop bitterness, or is it from the Coffee? This feels like someone has made a Cup of Coffee by using a Scottish Oatmeal Stout in a Percolator with rich Colombian coffee beans. Yeah.

Ever been to England and had a Nestlé Coffee flavored dark chocolate Walnut Whip?? Well this is the liquid version of one!

Mouthfeel: A massive, creamy, silky, smooth body that sits in the mouth comfortably. Coats and lingers with a strong coffee bitterness, or is it a hop-bitterness – who knows – who cares – its damn good.

Drinkability: This is a very nice Coffee Stout – it positively slips down the alimentary canal with ease. F**k Starbucks on a morning - Three Java Stouts please……

Overall: I only had one bottle of this – still, I will have massive problems sleeping tonight no doubt. 8-) I will buy Cases of this when it appears in So.Cal.

Not for Amnesiacs, or those that do not have Sealy Posturepedic Beds.

A Big Java Cheers to FeloniousMonk for a F***ing Marvelous beer Sir!

TheLongBeachBum, Oct 19, 2003
3.98/5  rDev +1.5%

A really nice bitter coffee stout. The look is fairly awesome as the deep black body sports an enormous beige head that retains well and coats the glass with great lace effect. The nose is a bit light but what it gives is a wonderful roasted caramel malt smell - very nice.

The flavor is nicely bitter, but bitter coffee nonetheless. The taste is very much of a dark chocolate blended coffee. This is a very impressive taste. The feel is quite full, creamy, and smooth. One of the best stout mouthfeel dimensions I've experienced. The drinkability is limited by the heavily bitter flavor and the ABV.

AtLagerHeads, Oct 16, 2003
4.55/5  rDev +16.1%

Poured pitch black and opaque. Smells strong of coffee and dark chocolate. Tasted much like a cold, strong, bitter coffee. The bitter notes came from the taste of bitter dark chocolate and the coffee taste is obvious. The mouthfeel is a little thinner than perfect but still nice and heavy. The drinkability is nice and easy, multiple brews can be had. And for an extra treat, enjoy with frozen snack size Snickers.

Jables, Oct 14, 2003
4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

Notes: After this initial review, I sampled another 2002 last week and it seemed a bit thin and lacking in coffee flavros. Than I tried a fresh 2003 bottle today and it blew me way with its rich espresso taste. In fact the fresh 2003 version was too over the top for me. Lay this down for 6-12 months and you will have a beauty!

Excellent! This stout from bell's pours a lovely opaque black colour with an espresso head. The aromas are all coffee, heavy, roasted malts, chocolate and booze! The taste is a yummy blend of dark coffee flavors and roasted malt flavors. The mouthfeel is just right and the drinkability is excellent, especially for a stout that is 7.5% abv...WOW you could have fooled me!

francisweizen, Sep 25, 2003
4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

I'm a big fan of coffee so this one was right up my alley.
It pours a deliciously dark glass with a toasty tan head. The aroma is basically a strong coffee aroma with some chocolate. The flavor follows suit with the Coffee flavor prevailing over all. Chocolately as well. It has a mild bitterness from either the hops or coffee. Creamy mouthfeel, good carbonation. It has a rich finish. I liked it a lot.

Brian700, Sep 01, 2003
3.43/5  rDev -12.5%

Dark black color. Medium head. Aroma is wet coffee beans. A full bodied stout. Strong coffee flavor dominates over everything else in this beer. There are some roasted malt flavors, choclately and sweet, but they are so blown away by the coffee. Its like drinking a stout that has had some coffee added. I realize that that's the effect they were going for, but it doesn't really work well for me. There is a touch of bitterness, but I can't tell if it's the coffee or the hops. Despite its unbalances it's very smooth. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly bitter.

beerguy101, Aug 26, 2003
3.63/5  rDev -7.4%

Part of a vintage beer tasting.
Vintage 2001. Poured a pure black, witha fair size head and some lacing. Aroma is pure coffee, like an espresso. Taste however, while it has that coffee and roasted barley flavor, it is watery, and lacking body. It was still a good beer, maybe some additional aging will help.

Indybeer, Aug 12, 2003
4.35/5  rDev +11%

A big, tan, dense head. Crusty. It leaves thick caves and arches on the glass. Black beer with dark, dark garnet highlights. The smell is coffee and chocolate, with some grains. But I think there are some veggies in there too. Green peas. The front is nice and stout, with chocolate and peas. The middle is thick, wide, broad, large and somewhat expansive. Creamy, sweet chocolate tightens it up a little. Finish has tangy coffee and smoke, with some nice grains. Roasty chocolate sticks around in the aftertaste.

Wow. Full body, full flavor. An awesome beer. I would like to thank feloniousmonk again (but you're wrong about the "nippy" bottles... I want all 12oz of this big boy).

kbub6f, Jul 21, 2003
2.75/5  rDev -29.8%

This beer poured a brown head with small-medium bubbles. The hue of this beer was black and there was no lacing. The nose was coffee and it had a strong coffee flavor. The mouthfeel of this beer was smooth. Unfortunately, I didn't like this particular stout because I just can't acquire a taste for coffee tasting beers even though this particular stout didn't have as strong of a coffee taste as I have recently tried. But, at least I tried it!!

hotstuff, Jul 19, 2003
3.33/5  rDev -15.1%

Originally sampled on 9 November 2002. I am writing this review from my notes.
Appearance: Bell's Java Stout is black (surprise) with a fluffy tan head.
Aroma: It has a nice coffee nose.
Flavor: It has a very big roasted coffee taste. a very dry mouthfeel

jcalabre, Jul 03, 2003
3.93/5  rDev +0.3%

This brew poured a very dark black body with a dark brown head full of small to large bubbles. It had a very strong smell of coffee in this one as I eagerly anticipate my first taste. The head is still hanging in there and the lacing becomes apparent on the side of the glass as I raise my glass for my first taste. Its very strong coffee tasted as I expected it to when a hint of "Oh my God what have I got here" hit my tongue. It’s after bite is just within my range of acceptance. It is pretty smooth for a "Coffee beer". Time to sit back and enjoy this great brew as I watch the military bomb Iraq!

TheDM, Jul 01, 2003
4.4/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I'd like to preface this with I'm not a coffee drinker, never have been and never will be. Don't like it, not even the smell. However...
Aroma contains a nice mix of chocolate, coffee and roasted malt. Quite pleasing. Black with red borders when held in the light. Firm tan head with some lacing present. Taste matches aroma very well. Sweet tones with some fruitiness. Finishes dry and medium long. Maybe a little thin, but nicely carbonated, i.e., not excessive. Best java stout I've had. Better complexity than most. Nice chocolate undertones and not too rich. Just a little thin.

garymuchow, Jun 21, 2003
2.68/5  rDev -31.6%

After being blown away by the Expedition Stout, I was hopeful of another good stout. Looks impressive with its deep brown body and fluffy tan head. Aroma of strong coffee reminded me of coffee ice cream. Crisp and slightly effervescent with medium fullness. Flavor tastes like that time when I accidently drank coffee grounds that were floating in my cup. This is rather unpleasant in my opinion. Like stale wet coffee grounds. I may not even finish this one.

BierReise, Jun 19, 2003
2.75/5  rDev -29.8%

To me, the aroma didn't appear to be right, lots of ashy roasted coffee beans, and oddly some rotting vegetables? I liked the first part of the aroma i mentioned, but not the second aspect. I dunno if ot was a bad bottle, but the palate didn't suggest it was. Palate is quite smooth, roasty and ashy, decent, with quite pronounced bitterness, interesting and innovative, but I don't think this quite worked. Thanks to Feloniousmonk for this!

rastaman, May 23, 2003
3.85/5  rDev -1.8%

This is a real dark beer out of the bottle. The head subsides fast, but keeps at least a decent blanket of a dark tan head.

The nose of this beer is overpowered by the smell of chocolate. It seems kind of sweetish. There is also a little smell of coffee liquor, kind of Kahluaish. I think the smell of this one could be a little more subtle, but i understand and appreciate the flavors. My girlfriend said it smells like a Frosty from Wendy's.

The taste is also a little too sweet for me. The chocolate is very strong. The bitterness comes through in the aftertaste, but only there.

Overall, i think this would be one i would have around just for the few occasions i think one would would hit the spot.

elmocoso, Apr 25, 2003
4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

Dark brown, blackish in the middle, faint ruby highlights around the edges, very nice brunette head, excellent retention, rings of lace. Iced-espresso nose, roasted coffee beans, malt; inviting. Hell Yeah! Awesome flavor profile, icy-espresso, rather roasty… excellent coffee bitterness, faint hints of caramel. Complex. Ideal carbonation, creamy mouthfeel with just enough grit. Full-bodied. Dry. The alcohol is completely hidden (in the taste)… amazing considering the abv. This is an excellent coffee stout, if you love coffee I highly recommend you trying Java Stout. Sipping beer.

Thank you feloniousmonk for this awesome bottle!

bditty187, Apr 16, 2003
4.72/5  rDev +20.4%

Color is a super thick black with a large inch tall tan head that crumbled down super slowly leaving a puffy diveted landscape for a top that stays present til about half glass, which then stays as a hazy skim and smaller bubbles. A hefty head for sure. Leaves lace in thickly sticking sheets. Ahhh the smell is just lovely, its all dried espresso coffee, very roasted and very dried and uniquely so, reminds me of true espesso thats served in Eastern world cafes. Dry and roasted, somewhat bittering too in the smell. Taste is crazy espresso, deeply roasted dryish malt tones with all sorts of dry roasted bitterness thats very easy to handle.Finish is nice and levels off nicely leaving lingering espresso dryness, slight hop bitterness and light deep dark chocolatey tones across the palate. Its partially full, quite rich, barring heavyness, and silky smooth and packed with nice espresso flavors that are a bit overpowering at first if your not ready for it, but once it settles in, its fantastic. Makes for a great dessert beer and conversational piece to share with friends. If you like coffee in any form, this is a must try, and if you like highly flavored stouts this is a big must try.

tavernjef, Apr 16, 2003
4.68/5  rDev +19.4%

wow.....black as night with ruby hues. thick, huge, rocky two inch dark tan head. bottle conditioned with lots of black sediment. strong espresso and black malt nose...some dark chocolate and vanilla whiffs. just awesome. the flavor profile is astounding....rich espresso, bitter black malt, chocolate and caramel hints all in the beginning....yeasty middle.....bits of belgian malt, a touch of tart sweetness and a long coffee liquer finish. some well disguised hop juiciness is present as well. full bodied. richly smooth and almost silky sweet for a profoundly bitter beer. all the desirable characteristics for a bitter but smooth coffee stout meld together in an unbelievable drinkability. a great brew and one of the best stouts i've ever had. it's a coffee lover's decadent delight. a scoop of ice cream would be perfect for this stout. absolutely amazing.

budgood1, Mar 25, 2003
2.48/5  rDev -36.7%

I love coffee, and I love beer. I love beer that tastes like coffee. But this tasted like a beer with coffee grounds dumped in it. I could only take a couple of sips. I actually thought I would love this combination, but, as much as I love strong coffee, if I brewed this I would have dumped it. Tasted just like when you screw up and get grounds in your coffee (and make it far too strong).

JohnnyDuvel, Mar 08, 2003
4.18/5  rDev +6.6%

This stout poured completely black with creamy, tan foam -- very nice appearance. The smell was dark malt and bitter coffee. A good, strong aroma. The taste was dominated by bitter coffee. There was a hint of caramel, but this stout was not sweet. The mouthfeel was smooth, and was like a cup or rich coffee. The drinkability was very good. I guess I am a sucker for coffee stouts/porters. This was a delicious stout, and I wish I could get more.

Thanks to feloniousmonk for sending this bottle!

UncleJimbo, Feb 23, 2003
4.1/5  rDev +4.6%

Yet another winning stout from Bell's. Dark as night in the glass with next to no head. Aroma is that of very deeply roasted malt and begs you to take another sniff. The roasted malt shines through in the taste and actually nudges the hops to the background, which is something different in a Bell's stout. Delicious.

proc, Feb 17, 2003
4.15/5  rDev +5.9%

Java pours a deep black with no highlights and a long lasting tan head that doesn't leave any lacing on the glass. The aroma is a faint roasted coffee and alcohol with some notes of yeast esters and grain. The taste starts wirh a bold flavor of black malt and roasted barley and then moves toward french roasted coffee. The finish is dry with coffee being the dominant flavor. Kind of a Sumatran and Tanzanian Peaberry blend with some black malt and chicory added. The aftertaste is a nice balance of the roasted malt blending with the coffee that linger long after the stout is gone. The mouthfeel is rich and creamy with plenty of body and chew.
Overall a very nice coffee stout. A stout to get your day started and make you ask where the eggs and bacon are. I only wish it was a little bolder in its aroma. Buzz Beer has nothing on this stout. Thank you feloniousmonk for send this most wonderful stout to Maine.

purplehops, Feb 15, 2003
Bell's Java Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.