Bell's Java Stout - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Java StoutBell's Java Stout

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Stout |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 12-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bell's Java Stout Alström Bros
jonvan04

2.15/5  rDev -45.2%

I bought a bottle of this as part of a mix a 6 from Food & Friends on 20th & Spruce in Philadelphia. I must have purchased a bad bottle, it was from batch #9462. The smell was there, it had an awesome coffee aroma to it that I was very excited for. Until I tasted it. It tasted like a sour. I love sours, but not when I'm expecting a coffee stout.

08-26-2010 19:03:20 | More by jonvan04
danglero

2.25/5  rDev -42.6%

First review for me. Can't get over the overwhelming taste/aroma of generic coffee beans. Seriously, mouth feel appearance etc. are all put aside due to being a coffee snob as well. The taste was like drinking a mixture of some crappy coffee like "choc full of nuts" and carbonation. If you like drinking gas station coffee then you might enjoy the heartiness. The texture is actually what I would expect from a full-bodied brew, and low head with slow tracing would all be appealing if I didn't have to deal with aforementioned crap coffee taste and aftertaste.

12-06-2011 05:14:13 | More by danglero
JugglerPeter

2.28/5  rDev -41.8%

I bought this beer on tap on a cold day looking for a dark beer to warm up. The beer was served without head in a pint glass.

The color was not as dark as I expected for a stout, but it looked nice, had a nice roasted smell to it.

Then I tried it. The beer had absolutely no ballance. I like coffee and dark stouts, but did not like this one. I felt like I was drinking beer that someone had thrown ashes into. All I could taste of this beer was the roasted nature of the malt. I had the beer with a very strongly flavored goat cheese and mushroom pizza, and still found the beer too dominant for the food. If I hadn't just paid $5 for the beer I wouldn't have finished it at all.

This is the first offering from Bell's that I have been dissatisfied with.

01-03-2008 17:40:21 | More by JugglerPeter
Brent

Kentucky

2.42/5  rDev -38.3%

I love stouts and porters that feature coffee flavors. I like coffee. I like most of Bell's products. But I did not like this beer. Poured an oily, inky black. Aroma was like cold used coffee grounds. Flavor was that of a pretty good dry stout with a 50/50 mix of extra-strong Columbian coffee. Unlike malt-derived coffee flavors, here the real coffee used in the brewing process imparted a thin, harsh cold coffee flavor. For me, this was like their Cherry Stout - a beer that was an interesting exercise and worth having tried, but not one I care to have again.

12-14-2003 16:28:14 | More by Brent
JohnnyDuvel

2.48/5  rDev -36.7%

I love coffee, and I love beer. I love beer that tastes like coffee. But this tasted like a beer with coffee grounds dumped in it. I could only take a couple of sips. I actually thought I would love this combination, but, as much as I love strong coffee, if I brewed this I would have dumped it. Tasted just like when you screw up and get grounds in your coffee (and make it far too strong).

03-08-2003 23:32:10 | More by JohnnyDuvel
vintajuess

2.48/5  rDev -36.7%

As a stout lover and--to a greater extent--a coffee lover, it's only fitting that this beer was... totally disappointing. It accented the least appealing elements of both halves of the name and made me wish I'd double-fisted a good mug of each.

A - Poured into a glass stein... looked as the name would have you want it to look--a lot like stout, a lot like coffee.

S - More yeasty than expected. Bad sign of things to come.

T - If you also love coffee, you know that "coffee taste" opens us to a whole other analytic corridor, but for simple context, think: stale pot, 11am oil change, local Jiffy Lube. As for the stout half, the hints of blue cheese were an unwelcome surprise. The flavor of the yeast jumped out right away. An Aussie could tell you it tastes like Vegemite.

M - The feel was nice and even when I swished and swallowed. I'll give it that. Probably the best part about this beer.

D - Ignore the label and any preconceived expectations (especially if you're a coffee connoisseur), and it's actually a pretty unique and pleasing beer experience.

01-04-2010 06:20:39 | More by vintajuess

Unchi

12-18-2011 03:28:03 | More by Unchi
claspada

2.53/5  rDev -35.5%

Pours a nice dark black body with a lush light khaki-colored head.

Aromas begin with (to be honest) stale, day-old coffee. There's a little more roasted malt smell as well but it's really pretty much stale coffee. Fairly disappointing.

The taste begins with light dark chocolate (if that makes sense). Mildly sweet, chocolate flavor with some sugar laced stale bitter coffee again. The roastiness begins to build alongside an earthy bitterness. As it warms, the tastes shift to burnt malts and scorched coffee, long ago abandoned in a glass pot on the burner. Starts off good but goes downhill quick.

The mouthfeel is medium-bodied with medium carbonation. Silky mouthfeel; the only real highlight of this beer.
Overall, pass just a huge miss as far as coffee beers (or any beer for that matter) goes. I don't plan on finishing this even though it's already mainly gone. Wow, Bells continues to disappoint me beer after beer...

07-24-2011 03:55:39 | More by claspada
Dubber55

2.55/5  rDev -34.9%

Looks excellent. Smells like ground coffee. Tastes like ground coffee beans. Not getting much else. An acrid aftertaste. Not very drinkable IMO. Very one dimensional for me. I like my beer to taste a little bit like coffee. This is coffee that tastes a little like beer.

05-02-2010 18:06:53 | More by Dubber55
barnettch

Georgia

2.55/5  rDev -34.9%

It looked very good pouring. It was a dark almost black color with little head. I was very eager to try this one. The aroma did not disappoint. The smell of coffee and a hint of chocolate is present. The coffee and chocolate taste is present but not as plentiful as I imagined after the smell. The taste was disappointing. I have tasted much better coffee stouts. The mouthfeel was decent but seemed to lose the flavor and did not go down as smooth as I thought. It is easy to drink but would rather have others.

03-05-2008 23:19:59 | More by barnettch
lhaqq

2.6/5  rDev -33.7%

A friend had bought a six pack of these, but didn't like them so gave what he had left to me. Didn't have it for awhile, but when I finally popped it open, it left me disappointed.
A: Dark brown to black, with sizable head.
S: Very pungent and piquant smell. Has a strong espresso/bitter coffee smell mixed with an equally strong odor of hot red peppers.
T: The smell mingles with the flavor--although the coffee is stronger. But the peppery flavor still persists--I guess something that I don't terribly prefer in a beer.
M: Mouthfeel is generally good and like most stouts I've had.
D: Because of the taste, I wouldn't consider this very drinkable. I split the bottle with a friend, and both of us had a hard time wanting to finish.
Not sure if I ought to have had this sooner, and that is why the taste was funky. Haven't had any other American double stouts although have had a fair share of RIS. Oddly, I am also not a huge fan of Bell's RIS--the Expedition Stout, while I really enjoy most of their other beers.

10-04-2008 22:24:42 | More by lhaqq
coreyfmcdonald

Georgia

2.6/5  rDev -33.7%

A: Pours very dark brown with a finger of dense light brown head. The head seems to stay around forever.

S: Interesting - a mix of coffee with some spicy, roasty, possibly smoky aroma. The coffee aroma is a bit stale, though. Having had this aged before, I was hoping it smelled better fresh.

T: Burnt coffee taste with some bitter chocolate. Not great.

M: a bit thin and prickly.

O: I was hoping this beer would taste better fresh, but I was wrong. It tastes like burnt coffee with some faint dark chocolate flavor. I'm not sure what Bell's was trying to do here.

11-12-2011 00:13:49 | More by coreyfmcdonald
Gladius270

2.6/5  rDev -33.7%

A- The beer poured an inky black, with very thin tan head. This head persisted throughout the duration of the glass.

S- Smells like fresh brewed coffee. Simple as that.

T- Same as smell. All I get out of this beer is black coffee. I enjoyed it more as it warmed, probably because cold coffee is a bit off-putting for me.

M- Very thin and watery. I would have liked a much creamier feel from this beer. In my opinion, the weak point of this brew.

O- Not a big fan of this one. The taste was very one-dimensional, and the thin mouthfeel is something I cannot put aside.

02-01-2012 19:29:05 | More by Gladius270
Nowhereman529

2.65/5  rDev -32.4%

This poured a nice deep dark brown color with a little tan head on top that quickly reduced to a lace around the edge of the glass.

Smell is strong on coffee with a little chocolate thrown in. The smell may be the best part of this beer.

The taste is something atrocious. It's distinctly day old maxwell house coffee grounds with a little chocolate and dark malt thrown in to try to add some depth.

Mouthfeel is alright. It's a little too heavy/syrupy for my tastes. Don't get me wrong, I like a good chewy stout, but this is just a little much.

I would not drink this again. I tried hard to like this beer after all the reviews I read I guess I expected a little bit more, but in the end you gotta go with what you like.

07-25-2008 01:36:26 | More by Nowhereman529
Bell's Java Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.