2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hell Hath No Fury Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hell Hath No Fury AleHell Hath No Fury Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: CRJMellor on 11-03-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,095 | Reviews: 601 | Show All Ratings:
Bighuge

2.23/5  rDev -40.8%

Appearance: Black body. Thin creamy brown head. No light gets through. Looks like a stout. Lace comes in rings.

Aroma: Thick dark malts, chocolatey, mud, sludgey yeast.

Taste: Sludgey yeasts here as well. Dark, sludgey malts. Sludge in general. A little raisin, but it's hidded behind the sludgey dark malts. I think I'm getting some sludgey wet cardboard/armpit oxidation as well. Taste is not to my liking.

Mouthfeel: Medium to medium-full body. Low carbonation. Alcohol is absent on the palate.

Drinkability: Not one I need to return to. Probably my least favorite Bell's product to date. I just finished a Smutty Winter (dubbel) and this is not even in the ballpark of that beer.

11-26-2006 02:18:24 | More by Bighuge
Mitchster

2.28/5  rDev -39.5%

$1.90 for a single from Jack's, stamped 7673 on the bottle. I saw this and didn't quite know what to think. I love their triple, so I thought this would be interesting, and as soon as I opened it, I knew I was in for something different. This pours unlike any dubble I've ever had....thick, black, with a dark cocoa crema like head and ruby accents. The head has very good retention and near solid sheets of lace. The aroma is of banana bread served with some burnt rubber dipping sauce sprinkled with cocoa powder and soaked in Laphroaig. If you can picture that, you'll know exactly what this beer tastes like. Carbonation is mild. The mouthfeel is like motor oil, syrupy and dense with a slick, oily sheen coating the entire mouth. The taste is very peculiar...like the wheat series gone stout. Starts with burnt banana peel acidity, followed by deeply roasted grains, hot tar and driveway sealant. In the middle is a brief blast of cocoa powder and then finishes with black rubber, peaty scotch, and dark fruits. Bitterness is really nice in the finish, lingering slightly sweetly seemingly forever.

One thing is for sure...this isn't even remotely a belgian-style dubble. It seems to me that they threw the Wheat Series yeast into a batch of Kzoo stout on accident, accidently knocked a bottle of Laphroaig 15 into it, and needed to get rid of the mistake. Blamo... Instant "dubbel". I sure am glad I didn't buy a six pack of this...I would have been pissed. I've never had a beer like this, and I'm not quite sure I want another. Rated as a beer, not to style (where as you would guess, it fails miserably).

10-24-2006 02:42:07 | More by Mitchster
mentor

Colorado

2.28/5  rDev -39.5%

Batch 8739. Solid finger of brown head over a dark brown liquid. Smells dark and earthy chocolate with mild coffee, grassy hop edge, and peppery.

Tastes potent chocolate with surprising present of light esters and a phenolic that is disjointed and misplaced on the thick, dark, and sweet of this beer. Comes across as a kind of dry papery and not pleasant at all. Flavors present are chocoalte, old anise, fig, pear, and a peppery sting. Carbonation is too rubust and mouthfeel is thick with roast grain clinging to the tongue. Fuggles-flavored hoppiness and artificial chocolate syrup. This beer can go away and I would never miss it.

12-29-2008 04:34:35 | More by mentor
salvo

Indiana

2.28/5  rDev -39.5%

Pours midnight black with an inch of creamy tan head into a chalice. Nose is molasses and licorice with some hints of smoke; sweet dried plums and cherries in the background. It looks like a stout.

Taste is roasty, toasty malts. More porter in the mouth, rich coating mouthfeel. Ut-oh: it's got that taste that usually brings on my allergic headache. Yup. There it starts. Okay, sorry, Bells, but this isn't my beer.

See my beer note: this beer has a malt to which I am apparently allergic and cannot drink, and so my drinkability score is unusually low. The low taste rating is simply because I didn't enjoy this beer, and I'm very jealous of the reviewer who managed to taste this on draft because I'm stuck with five bottles I don't want :-)

10-24-2010 01:07:35 | More by salvo
amphion1065

2.3/5  rDev -39%

12 oz. bottle received as an extra from Drewba. Poured into a tulip. Reviewed from notes.

The pour is Coca-Cola black with a billowing coffee-colored head that lasts and lasts - really excellent head retention here. Webby, sticky lacing all around the glass, this could pass for an imperial stout by appearance alone.

Plenty of dark fruits in the smell, followed immediately by a hit of smoke. The plums and figs in the nose are offset by this rather off-putting burnt ember quality.

Smoke and an ashen tobacco flavor largely define the taste. There are some standard BSDA dark fruit flavors that follow closely on the aroma, but the burnt, charred malts are overpowering. There's a lingering bitterness that's similarly unappealing.

Overcarbonated and thin, this is pretty tough to stomach. Every aspect of this beer seems disjointed and abrasive, and the roasted qualities are pretty unappetizing. Great label art, but not a beer I'll seek out in the future.

Not what I expected.

07-08-2011 02:57:27 | More by amphion1065
hardy008

2.45/5  rDev -35%

Pours black with a 3 finger mocha colored head with pretty good retention and spotty lacing. The aroma has dark roasted malt, dark fruit, cherries, and licorice. I am not sure that I like having dark roasted malt in a BSDA.

Tastes much like it smells with dark roasted malt, dark fruit, cherries, and a small amount of licorice. Sweet, with some bitterness from he dark roasted malt. I am not sure I care for the dark roasted malt or the licorice / anise taste, in what is classified as a BSDA, but I don't think is a bad beer either.

Full bodied, chewy, with below average carbonation and a roasted malt / licorice aftertaste. Not something I would buy again.

07-14-2012 23:22:27 | More by hardy008
7ways

Georgia

2.5/5  rDev -33.7%

Batch 9999
I smell raisins and chocolate the second the bottle opens, this is a good sign. Pours very dark brown, darker than most dubbels, with a minimal head and a lot of bubbles clinging to the inside. Leaves behind very thin lace.

Smells like raisin, chocolate cake, and a stout roastiness I easily associate with Expedition and Batch 9000. No hops, a little alcohol stands out.
Tastes awful cold, but better when left for a while. Molasses, rum, soap, rubber, and vanilla; no hint of anything Belgian here, more like bitter English hops. Pretty damn hot for 7.5%.

Mouthfeel isn't bad, nothing great, kind of coating, but the alcohol is distracting me to much to care.

I remember this beer being much better a couple years ago.

10-24-2010 01:06:59 | More by 7ways
Hojaminbag

Colorado

2.53/5  rDev -32.9%

Very dark brown to black body with a tan head that dissapates quickly. No lacing at all.

Not exactly what I would expect. Smells like an American stout. Chocolate aromas dominate. Some dark fruits like fig come through also though.

OK, so I don't really dig this one. Some stout was on its way home and got lost, falling into a bottle of a belgian strong dark ale. This mistake was overlooked and bottled, turning into Hell hath no fury. Big chocolate taste with a slight roasted flavor. Tastes like a stout most of the time, but finishes with some peppery and dark fruit flavors. I feel like these flavors were just thrown in at the last minute; a desperate attempt to stick to style. The peppery is fine but the fruit taste overly ripe and spoiled to me. Hell hath no fury...like a bad beer?

A thick mouthfeel, chocolate malts seem to stick to your tongue until you can't taste anything else. Am I still drinking it? I thought I finished this last night?

Drinkability, not so great.

12-30-2008 14:45:42 | More by Hojaminbag
marvin213

2.53/5  rDev -32.9%

Opaque with a creamy-looking head, this looks more chocolate stout than Belgian-dark; nevertheless, it looks consistent. The head dissipates at a medium pace. From Hopslam thru the regular lineup on up to this Hell Hath No Fury, Bell's makes good-lookin' beers.

I smell Belgian yeast and dark malt...I know, what an insight. I'm glad there's no raisiny pungency I've had in some of my more recent ventures into the style, but there's nothing noseways that sings something special.

It tastes more Belgian than dark, and it really isn't all that string on the tongue. In fact, it's opacity relative to its light zest make for a bit of an odd notion. It's actually unbalanced and off-kilter in this regard. I acknowledge that the style lends itself to a meeting of extreme minds, but this one's a little crazy for me.

Like I say, it's too zesty for so malty a beer. As I've also already mentioned, it's odd-not a unique, refreshingly cool sorta way, but a repugnant, backlashingly WTF-did-I-order sorta way. Maybe a shot with a weird nutty cheese would pair handsomely, but even a small serving leaves something to be desired.

11-19-2010 19:57:35 | More by marvin213
vwcraig

2.58/5  rDev -31.6%

Pours darkest mahogany with brownish highlights. Big tan head settles to a heavy ring of lacing around the edge. Light fruity smell but soapy smelling at the same time like dishwater. Not really a lot for the nose. First taste of a belgian style yeast. Also kind of clovey. Medium bodied and slick going down. Sweetish aftertaste. Overall average.

01-04-2007 02:50:27 | More by vwcraig
Jekster

Indiana

2.6/5  rDev -31%

Appearance: Pours a deep dark caramel brown with a thick two finger coco brown head.

Smell: Instantly I smell deep dark rich malt. There is a hint of fresh baked bread, dark chocolate, with a slight tart sour dark cherry background. Also present is a slight woody musky smell. There is also the aroma of dark roasted malt and a like tart belgian yeast character.

Taste: There is a savory flavor of near burnt caramelized sugar and a sweet caramelized dark fruits. The tart smell carries over in a light background flavor, but is dominated primarily by the sweetness. It finish dry and clean with a slight alcoholic singe and warming character.

Mouthfeel: This is a medium thick beer with a slick and pleasantly coating mouthful. At the same time the finish is extremely dry and thin. It's an odd juxtaposition.

Drinkability: This is a great beer to sip on a cold night. I could probably drink two or three, but would definitely not want to drink a lot of these in one session.

OVERALL IMPRESSION: For the high pricepoint I would grab something else Bell's has to offer. Don't get me wrong, the beer is tasty, but I think there are better representations of the style for a cheaper cost. I'd say grab it on tap some time to try though, but don't be expecting to be blown away.

01-16-2009 01:59:47 | More by Jekster
kbnooshay

2.63/5  rDev -30.2%

Poured a super black shade with a thing light beige head. Aroma is smokey and roasted malty. This doesn't taste like a belgian abbey beer. It tastes like a smoke beer which grosses me out. Unless its magic hat Jinx for some reason i liked. Feel is smooth and thick.

No this isn't drinakble. It tastes like a stout drenched in smoke.

01-02-2011 17:20:21 | More by kbnooshay
treedoctor5002

2.65/5  rDev -29.7%

This beer pours a very dark brown color with a nice dark tan head.
This beer basically stinks to me. There is some kind of odd chemical smell that is really nausiating. I've never smelled any other beer like it.
The alcohol is really up front here along with other odd burnt rubber tasting flavors. I can't figure out what they're going for here?
Mouthfeel is similar to a stout, thick and heavy.
Overall not very drinkable for me. I'll pass.

11-14-2006 00:07:31 | More by treedoctor5002
ZAP

2.7/5  rDev -28.4%

A-Pours black...thick...looks like an Imperial Stout...

S-Nose is smokey and peaty...some blackened, burnt malt too...not real assertive aroma.

T-Does not strike me as a Dubbel...carries more stout characteristics than anything....burnt malt....smoke....

M-Thick, full and rch..again seems more like and Impy Stout

D-This is the third bottle I have had of this and I am not impressed....really has no true dubble characteristics..might have worked fine as Bells 8000 or something with a looser clasification, but even then this comes off as a muddles, poor tasting beer....regardless of what it is classified as I would not buy it again....give me more of the hopslam please..

11-22-2006 05:40:47 | More by ZAP
Reaper16

Alabama

2.7/5  rDev -28.4%

2010 12oz. bottle served into a tulip glass

Pours a dark, deep mahogany brown color; no real nuance to the color of the body, just dark. A nice cocoa butter tan color to the 1.25 fingers of head that formed (more than I expected, but then again the listed ABV% is smaller than I expected). Solid walls of lacing around the whole glass.

I wonder if this bottle is oxidized. It doesn't have the sherry aroma that would be a tell-tale sign, but there is a bit of a cardboard note. Like cardboard that was sprinkled heavily with baker's chocolate. There's some distant traces of dark fruit here, but the should be more prominent than they are. Despite the ABV being slightly under 8 percent, there is a significant alcohol note present. Like a schnapps, actually -- boozy with a touch of mint.

The taste follows the nose. There's baker's chocolate. There's a booze character. There's traces of dark fruits on the finish. But this mostly tastes... empty. There's a smooth alcohol flavor and that is pretty much it. Does this beer not age well? Was there a batch that didn't turn out well? This is smooth drinking but very underwhelming.

Overall, this is drinkable but underwhelming. This might be the least flavored Bell's offering I've ever had.

10-30-2011 02:14:29 | More by Reaper16
pavandal

2.73/5  rDev -27.6%

Beer poured into my tulip glass a dark stout like color. 1/2 inch head that ended out at about 1/4 of an inch. thick lacing down the glass.

Smell wasn't there. I could barely smell the thing, no real hints or notes to speak of.

taste wasn't all that great either. A real weak brew, the only real flavor was a plumlike palate in the aftertaste.

A rather thick beer for a BSD. Low ABV for the style. Maybe a good starter for this genre of beer.

12-25-2006 04:22:55 | More by pavandal
crossovert

2.73/5  rDev -27.6%

12 oz bottle, batch 9999!

It ours a dense, dark brown/black with a foamy tan head that sticks for a good bit. It is very firm and persistent.

The smell is kind of all over the place. It almost reminds me of a dunkelweizen rather than a belgian strong dark. It has a significant amount of bubblegum and banana in the scent. There is also some fruitiness and clovy spice. There is the slightest hint of black malts.

The flavor is all over the place as well. Lots of bubblegum, some chocolate, clove, coffee. It just isn't a flavor that i can get in tune with.

The mouthfeel is a bit thin and watery.

A failed experiment in my book.

11-10-2010 06:05:33 | More by crossovert
bruachan

District of Columbia

2.75/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

looks like a stout, really. the aroma is far from it, though. it smells like a burnt witbier. plenty of coriander and some sweaty dark malts

it's not an easy beer to drink: the dark malt astringency and alcohol heat (in a 7.7% beer?) prevent it from being pleasant. the whole stout-with-a-belgian-yeast thing really isn't my bag. i thought of brewing one at a point in my life, but i'm glad i didn't. spices and intense roast flavors just don't go well together

i'll drink the other 5 but i won't be buying it again

12-11-2006 02:43:57 | More by bruachan
BWH3

2.75/5  rDev -27.1%

Hell Hath No Fury 12oz bottle at 45-50F from Goblet

A: Pitch Black, ink like brew with very thin almost faint tan/brown head. Very imposing like a woman scorned.

S: Almost everything dark is thrown in here. You could say bittersweet chocolate, burnt caramel, coffee, and some hop bitterness. Some fruit-like sweetness. Also an ash like bitter scent of roasted grain. This beer needs serious cellaring to allow these flavors to mellow and clean up the taste so it is more homogenous. I should have let it sit. Next year

T: very similar to the odor but more molasses like with less hops. Some esters necessary to call this a Belgian Strong. Finish is strong and astringent and tastes like old coffee. The goods are here but it needs more time and perhaps less roasted grain in the bill.

M: Surprisingly light and runny. The carbonation is good for a Belgian.

D: Tough to finish a whole one. I like what they are trying to do. I don't think that it was that successful, but I think it is well worth a try.

04-09-2007 20:01:40 | More by BWH3
jsh420

2.78/5  rDev -26.3%

batch 9999

pours dark dark brown almost back with a 1+ finger tan head that left spotted lacing

smells mostly of clove and banana

taste is where this one goes wrong - clove banana standard wit/hefe flavors then the malts are burnt chocolate and very off putting

mouhtfeel is a medium weight beer with good carbonation but body feels thin

drinkability - glad i only bought a single(which i could not even finish)

10-31-2010 05:23:28 | More by jsh420
Kkottonmouthkngz

2.78/5  rDev -26.3%

A: brown black with kahki colored top layer of foam, more deep brown as it gets closer to the brew. fairly minimal head retention overall.

S: kinda like caramel apples. there seems to be some chocolate and spice mixed in there, but its really overflowing with apples mainly. i knew nothing about this beer going into it, so i guess its off to a good start, smells good.

T: heres where it throws me for a curveball. again i get the apple again, but its kind of acrid. theres a weird heat to it with the boozeiness thats not really boozy but still prominent, if that
makes any sense. its unlike any other kind of alcohol hit ive ever had before: the more i drink it, the more unsure i am about that and just wonder if its some kind of weird aftertaste. this is all over the place.

M: its creamy and smooth enough to feel ok, but the flavors still just throw me off.

D: sorry, wont go back again. not feeling it at all.

02-18-2011 03:50:23 | More by Kkottonmouthkngz
OStrungT

2.8/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This beer pours a very dark brown color. It is almost black. I can not see through it at all. It boasts a thin brown head that fades slowly leaving many laces.

This beer has a spicy aroma. It smells of cloves. It also has a slightly metallic aroma. Too bad. Some cherry is present. It has a slight bittersweet chocolate aroma as well.

This beer tastes much like it smells. Metalic flavor up front. Some spicyness. Chocolate covered cherries are also present. Unfortunately, the metalic flavor is dominate.

This beer leaves a metalic aftertaste. It is carbonated well.

I doubt this beer would make the best session beer. I am not sure if I got a bad bottle, or if this beer is just not very good.

Overall: I am sorry that I didnt like this one a bit more. I love Bells, and I love the style. Something just wasnt right this time. Thanks anyways ggaughan for giving me the chance to try this one.

02-20-2007 02:46:20 | More by OStrungT
MbpBugeye

2.88/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

On tap at Bodega. Served in one of their blasted 10oz glasses.

A- Only a small wispy head skims the top of this dark brown/red/purple beer. Lacing is only left around the top of the glass until the head is gone.

S- Very weak nose, it helps to allow it to warm but I still cant get much other than coffee and dark fruits.

T- Surprisingly imperial stout like. Lots of coffee and chocolate, even a little bit of roast. This really is a lot more like a "Belgian stout". The Belgian style dark fruits, yeast and sweetness is pounded down by coffee flavors that are much too strong.

D- Honestly, I didnt care too much for this one. I struggled to find the motivation to finish this glass. Im pretty glad I didnt spend the $18 sticker for a 6 pack.

10-21-2010 19:46:10 | More by MbpBugeye
xpoweruser

2.88/5  rDev -23.6%

Appearance: Dark brown, brown head, cloudy with sediment.

Aroma: Banana, clove, and yeast. Very malty and sweet with dark fruit and dark chocolate notes.

Taste: Nice dark fruit (raisin, fig, plums) and dark chocolate notes. Has a very sweet caramel and toffee flavor. Very yeasty, slight alcohol kick. Slight hoppiness comes though.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, somewhat creamy with a medium body. Higher carbonation then I would like with this style.

Drinkability: Not nearly as complex and full-bodied as I would like. Overall this is a very average beer.

12-29-2010 04:39:11 | More by xpoweruser
unklesyd

Oregon

2.9/5  rDev -23.1%

This was not at all what I was expecting. Much darker color than I would have thought for the style, not much effervescence. Nose was very muted. Picked up some underlying yeast and roasted aromas, but that was about it.

Based on the flavor and viscocity of this brew, I would have thought they were going for a RIS brewed with some Belgian yeast added late to the ferment to give it a little bit of the yeasty bite. No breadiness or raisins as I would have thought.

Usually BSDAs are deceptive in their drinkability and ability to quench thirst even on a hot day. This was very heavy on the tongue and on the palate.

08-02-2006 15:18:22 | More by unklesyd
Hell Hath No Fury Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.