Hell Hath No Fury Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hell Hath No Fury AleHell Hath No Fury Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: CRJMellor on 11-03-2004

1.25/5  rDev -66.8%

2.25/5  rDev -40.3%

2.28/5  rDev -39.5%

Appearance: Black body. Thin creamy brown head. No light gets through. Looks like a stout. Lace comes in rings.

Aroma: Thick dark malts, chocolatey, mud, sludgey yeast.

Taste: Sludgey yeasts here as well. Dark, sludgey malts. Sludge in general. A little raisin, but it's hidded behind the sludgey dark malts. I think I'm getting some sludgey wet cardboard/armpit oxidation as well. Taste is not to my liking.

Mouthfeel: Medium to medium-full body. Low carbonation. Alcohol is absent on the palate.

Drinkability: Not one I need to return to. Probably my least favorite Bell's product to date. I just finished a Smutty Winter (dubbel) and this is not even in the ballpark of that beer.

2.31/5  rDev -38.7%

Batch 8739. Solid finger of brown head over a dark brown liquid. Smells dark and earthy chocolate with mild coffee, grassy hop edge, and peppery.

Tastes potent chocolate with surprising present of light esters and a phenolic that is disjointed and misplaced on the thick, dark, and sweet of this beer. Comes across as a kind of dry papery and not pleasant at all. Flavors present are chocoalte, old anise, fig, pear, and a peppery sting. Carbonation is too rubust and mouthfeel is thick with roast grain clinging to the tongue. Fuggles-flavored hoppiness and artificial chocolate syrup. This beer can go away and I would never miss it.

2.36/5  rDev -37.4%

12 oz. bottle received as an extra from Drewba. Poured into a tulip. Reviewed from notes.

The pour is Coca-Cola black with a billowing coffee-colored head that lasts and lasts - really excellent head retention here. Webby, sticky lacing all around the glass, this could pass for an imperial stout by appearance alone.

Plenty of dark fruits in the smell, followed immediately by a hit of smoke. The plums and figs in the nose are offset by this rather off-putting burnt ember quality.

Smoke and an ashen tobacco flavor largely define the taste. There are some standard BSDA dark fruit flavors that follow closely on the aroma, but the burnt, charred malts are overpowering. There's a lingering bitterness that's similarly unappealing.

Overcarbonated and thin, this is pretty tough to stomach. Every aspect of this beer seems disjointed and abrasive, and the roasted qualities are pretty unappetizing. Great label art, but not a beer I'll seek out in the future.

Not what I expected.

2.4/5  rDev -36.3%

Pours midnight black with an inch of creamy tan head into a chalice. Nose is molasses and licorice with some hints of smoke; sweet dried plums and cherries in the background. It looks like a stout.

Taste is roasty, toasty malts. More porter in the mouth, rich coating mouthfeel. Ut-oh: it's got that taste that usually brings on my allergic headache. Yup. There it starts. Okay, sorry, Bells, but this isn't my beer.

See my beer note: this beer has a malt to which I am apparently allergic and cannot drink, and so my drinkability score is unusually low. The low taste rating is simply because I didn't enjoy this beer, and I'm very jealous of the reviewer who managed to taste this on draft because I'm stuck with five bottles I don't want :-)

2.4/5  rDev -36.3%

$1.90 for a single from Jack's, stamped 7673 on the bottle. I saw this and didn't quite know what to think. I love their triple, so I thought this would be interesting, and as soon as I opened it, I knew I was in for something different. This pours unlike any dubble I've ever had....thick, black, with a dark cocoa crema like head and ruby accents. The head has very good retention and near solid sheets of lace. The aroma is of banana bread served with some burnt rubber dipping sauce sprinkled with cocoa powder and soaked in Laphroaig. If you can picture that, you'll know exactly what this beer tastes like. Carbonation is mild. The mouthfeel is like motor oil, syrupy and dense with a slick, oily sheen coating the entire mouth. The taste is very peculiar...like the wheat series gone stout. Starts with burnt banana peel acidity, followed by deeply roasted grains, hot tar and driveway sealant. In the middle is a brief blast of cocoa powder and then finishes with black rubber, peaty scotch, and dark fruits. Bitterness is really nice in the finish, lingering slightly sweetly seemingly forever.

One thing is for sure...this isn't even remotely a belgian-style dubble. It seems to me that they threw the Wheat Series yeast into a batch of Kzoo stout on accident, accidently knocked a bottle of Laphroaig 15 into it, and needed to get rid of the mistake. Blamo... Instant "dubbel". I sure am glad I didn't buy a six pack of this...I would have been pissed. I've never had a beer like this, and I'm not quite sure I want another. Rated as a beer, not to style (where as you would guess, it fails miserably).

2.48/5  rDev -34.2%

Pours black with a 3 finger mocha colored head with pretty good retention and spotty lacing. The aroma has dark roasted malt, dark fruit, cherries, and licorice. I am not sure that I like having dark roasted malt in a BSDA.

Tastes much like it smells with dark roasted malt, dark fruit, cherries, and a small amount of licorice. Sweet, with some bitterness from he dark roasted malt. I am not sure I care for the dark roasted malt or the licorice / anise taste, in what is classified as a BSDA, but I don't think is a bad beer either.

Full bodied, chewy, with below average carbonation and a roasted malt / licorice aftertaste. Not something I would buy again.

2.55/5  rDev -32.4%

Very dark brown to black body with a tan head that dissapates quickly. No lacing at all.

Not exactly what I would expect. Smells like an American stout. Chocolate aromas dominate. Some dark fruits like fig come through also though.

OK, so I don't really dig this one. Some stout was on its way home and got lost, falling into a bottle of a belgian strong dark ale. This mistake was overlooked and bottled, turning into Hell hath no fury. Big chocolate taste with a slight roasted flavor. Tastes like a stout most of the time, but finishes with some peppery and dark fruit flavors. I feel like these flavors were just thrown in at the last minute; a desperate attempt to stick to style. The peppery is fine but the fruit taste overly ripe and spoiled to me. Hell hath no fury...like a bad beer?

A thick mouthfeel, chocolate malts seem to stick to your tongue until you can't taste anything else. Am I still drinking it? I thought I finished this last night?

Drinkability, not so great.

2.55/5  rDev -32.4%

Batch 9999
I smell raisins and chocolate the second the bottle opens, this is a good sign. Pours very dark brown, darker than most dubbels, with a minimal head and a lot of bubbles clinging to the inside. Leaves behind very thin lace.

Smells like raisin, chocolate cake, and a stout roastiness I easily associate with Expedition and Batch 9000. No hops, a little alcohol stands out.
Tastes awful cold, but better when left for a while. Molasses, rum, soap, rubber, and vanilla; no hint of anything Belgian here, more like bitter English hops. Pretty damn hot for 7.5%.

Mouthfeel isn't bad, nothing great, kind of coating, but the alcohol is distracting me to much to care.

I remember this beer being much better a couple years ago.

Hell Hath No Fury Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.