Hell Hath No Fury Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hell Hath No Fury AleHell Hath No Fury Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: CRJMellor on 11-03-2004)
ploobs

gafferjohn

01-16-2012 15:53:02 | More by gafferjohn
Bighuge

2.23/5  rDev -40.8%

Appearance: Black body. Thin creamy brown head. No light gets through. Looks like a stout. Lace comes in rings.

Aroma: Thick dark malts, chocolatey, mud, sludgey yeast.

Taste: Sludgey yeasts here as well. Dark, sludgey malts. Sludge in general. A little raisin, but it's hidded behind the sludgey dark malts. I think I'm getting some sludgey wet cardboard/armpit oxidation as well. Taste is not to my liking.

Mouthfeel: Medium to medium-full body. Low carbonation. Alcohol is absent on the palate.

Drinkability: Not one I need to return to. Probably my least favorite Bell's product to date. I just finished a Smutty Winter (dubbel) and this is not even in the ballpark of that beer.

11-26-2006 02:18:24 | More by Bighuge
CityofBals

2.25/5  rDev -40.3%

09-12-2013 18:41:43 | More by CityofBals
salvo

2.28/5  rDev -39.5%

Pours midnight black with an inch of creamy tan head into a chalice. Nose is molasses and licorice with some hints of smoke; sweet dried plums and cherries in the background. It looks like a stout.

Taste is roasty, toasty malts. More porter in the mouth, rich coating mouthfeel. Ut-oh: it's got that taste that usually brings on my allergic headache. Yup. There it starts. Okay, sorry, Bells, but this isn't my beer.

See my beer note: this beer has a malt to which I am apparently allergic and cannot drink, and so my drinkability score is unusually low. The low taste rating is simply because I didn't enjoy this beer, and I'm very jealous of the reviewer who managed to taste this on draft because I'm stuck with five bottles I don't want :-)

10-24-2010 01:07:35 | More by salvo
mentor

Colorado

2.28/5  rDev -39.5%

Batch 8739. Solid finger of brown head over a dark brown liquid. Smells dark and earthy chocolate with mild coffee, grassy hop edge, and peppery.

Tastes potent chocolate with surprising present of light esters and a phenolic that is disjointed and misplaced on the thick, dark, and sweet of this beer. Comes across as a kind of dry papery and not pleasant at all. Flavors present are chocoalte, old anise, fig, pear, and a peppery sting. Carbonation is too rubust and mouthfeel is thick with roast grain clinging to the tongue. Fuggles-flavored hoppiness and artificial chocolate syrup. This beer can go away and I would never miss it.

12-29-2008 04:34:35 | More by mentor
Mitchster

2.28/5  rDev -39.5%

$1.90 for a single from Jack's, stamped 7673 on the bottle. I saw this and didn't quite know what to think. I love their triple, so I thought this would be interesting, and as soon as I opened it, I knew I was in for something different. This pours unlike any dubble I've ever had....thick, black, with a dark cocoa crema like head and ruby accents. The head has very good retention and near solid sheets of lace. The aroma is of banana bread served with some burnt rubber dipping sauce sprinkled with cocoa powder and soaked in Laphroaig. If you can picture that, you'll know exactly what this beer tastes like. Carbonation is mild. The mouthfeel is like motor oil, syrupy and dense with a slick, oily sheen coating the entire mouth. The taste is very peculiar...like the wheat series gone stout. Starts with burnt banana peel acidity, followed by deeply roasted grains, hot tar and driveway sealant. In the middle is a brief blast of cocoa powder and then finishes with black rubber, peaty scotch, and dark fruits. Bitterness is really nice in the finish, lingering slightly sweetly seemingly forever.

One thing is for sure...this isn't even remotely a belgian-style dubble. It seems to me that they threw the Wheat Series yeast into a batch of Kzoo stout on accident, accidently knocked a bottle of Laphroaig 15 into it, and needed to get rid of the mistake. Blamo... Instant "dubbel". I sure am glad I didn't buy a six pack of this...I would have been pissed. I've never had a beer like this, and I'm not quite sure I want another. Rated as a beer, not to style (where as you would guess, it fails miserably).

10-24-2006 02:42:07 | More by Mitchster
amphion1065

2.3/5  rDev -39%

12 oz. bottle received as an extra from Drewba. Poured into a tulip. Reviewed from notes.

The pour is Coca-Cola black with a billowing coffee-colored head that lasts and lasts - really excellent head retention here. Webby, sticky lacing all around the glass, this could pass for an imperial stout by appearance alone.

Plenty of dark fruits in the smell, followed immediately by a hit of smoke. The plums and figs in the nose are offset by this rather off-putting burnt ember quality.

Smoke and an ashen tobacco flavor largely define the taste. There are some standard BSDA dark fruit flavors that follow closely on the aroma, but the burnt, charred malts are overpowering. There's a lingering bitterness that's similarly unappealing.

Overcarbonated and thin, this is pretty tough to stomach. Every aspect of this beer seems disjointed and abrasive, and the roasted qualities are pretty unappetizing. Great label art, but not a beer I'll seek out in the future.

Not what I expected.

07-08-2011 02:57:27 | More by amphion1065
hardy008

2.45/5  rDev -35%

Pours black with a 3 finger mocha colored head with pretty good retention and spotty lacing. The aroma has dark roasted malt, dark fruit, cherries, and licorice. I am not sure that I like having dark roasted malt in a BSDA.

Tastes much like it smells with dark roasted malt, dark fruit, cherries, and a small amount of licorice. Sweet, with some bitterness from he dark roasted malt. I am not sure I care for the dark roasted malt or the licorice / anise taste, in what is classified as a BSDA, but I don't think is a bad beer either.

Full bodied, chewy, with below average carbonation and a roasted malt / licorice aftertaste. Not something I would buy again.

07-14-2012 23:22:27 | More by hardy008

AngryNucleus

01-26-2012 20:43:06 | More by AngryNucleus
7ways

Batch 9999
I smell raisins and chocolate the second the bottle opens, this is a good sign. Pours very dark brown, darker than most dubbels, with a minimal head and a lot of bubbles clinging to the inside. Leaves behind very thin lace.

Smells like raisin, chocolate cake, and a stout roastiness I easily associate with Expedition and Batch 9000. No hops, a little alcohol stands out.
Tastes awful cold, but better when left for a while. Molasses, rum, soap, rubber, and vanilla; no hint of anything Belgian here, more like bitter English hops. Pretty damn hot for 7.5%.

Mouthfeel isn't bad, nothing great, kind of coating, but the alcohol is distracting me to much to care.

I remember this beer being much better a couple years ago.

10-24-2010 01:06:59 | More by 7ways

buddyvelt

01-21-2012 06:47:01 | More by buddyvelt
marvin213

2.53/5  rDev -32.9%

Opaque with a creamy-looking head, this looks more chocolate stout than Belgian-dark; nevertheless, it looks consistent. The head dissipates at a medium pace. From Hopslam thru the regular lineup on up to this Hell Hath No Fury, Bell's makes good-lookin' beers.

I smell Belgian yeast and dark malt...I know, what an insight. I'm glad there's no raisiny pungency I've had in some of my more recent ventures into the style, but there's nothing noseways that sings something special.

It tastes more Belgian than dark, and it really isn't all that string on the tongue. In fact, it's opacity relative to its light zest make for a bit of an odd notion. It's actually unbalanced and off-kilter in this regard. I acknowledge that the style lends itself to a meeting of extreme minds, but this one's a little crazy for me.

Like I say, it's too zesty for so malty a beer. As I've also already mentioned, it's odd-not a unique, refreshingly cool sorta way, but a repugnant, backlashingly WTF-did-I-order sorta way. Maybe a shot with a weird nutty cheese would pair handsomely, but even a small serving leaves something to be desired.

11-19-2010 19:57:35 | More by marvin213
Hell Hath No Fury Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.