2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hell Hath No Fury Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hell Hath No Fury AleHell Hath No Fury Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: CRJMellor on 11-03-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,095 | Reviews: 601 | Show All Ratings:
jayhawk73

Maryland

Happy Thanksgiving 2011-

A- Hell Hath No Fury pours a very dark brown color w/ a half finger chocolate looking head. Pretty good lacing on the side of my snifter glass. Almost black in appearance.

S- The nose seems a little weak to me for the best in this style. I can barely pick out some fruit, spice, and maybe some bourbon? The nose is so weak, it's tough to single any one thing out.

T- The taste is good, but I don't know if this is in the right category.. Up against the best in style, this is merely average, and uninteresting.

M- Feel is a little better- it's full, fairly dry, and there's a nice alcohol warming aftertaste. Pretty smooth, and an easy drinker/sipper.

O- This is a decent beer, but it doesn't do the style justice. I probably won't look for this again. Cheers.

11-24-2011 17:53:57 | More by jayhawk73
deebo

bottled 10-18-11

A-Black as hell with a tan head that quickly dissipates.

S-Smells like a stout-heavy roasted malts.

T-Heavy roasted malt-not much else going on here. Just a hint of raisin sweetness as it warms.

M-Smooth-highly carbonated-alcohol non-existant

D-Very high

O-May have been inspired by a dubbel but this is a stout all the way. A good beer-but for the price I'd go with something else, no need to come back to this one.

02-16-2012 03:06:01 | More by deebo
zeledonia

3.1/5  rDev -17.8%

Batch 11523, bottled 3 October 2012. Tasted 29 November 2012, reviewed from notes.

Pours very dark brown, much darker than I was expecting. A bit of light gets through at the edges, and there it's coffee brown. Medium tan head, one finger, retention and lacing are just okay.

Smell is quite faint, but what's there is mildly fruity. Cherries and figs, a bit of coffee. Nice, but I have to work hard to get to them.

Taste is, likewise, blandly fruity. I get more potency here, but it's not as pleasant as the smell. Sort of ambiguous and tobacco-like. Slightly bitter, herby. Gets sweeter as it warms up, but it's ambiguous, and I can't really figure out what it tastes like. I'm chasing the flavor, and not finding enough.

Mouthfeel is fine. Medium-bodied, enough carbonation. Fades out more quickly than I'd guess, taking the flavor with it.

An odd beer, without any really pronounced flavors or aromas. I'm finding myself describing it by what it lacks, rather than what it has, because there just isn't all that much there. Warming up improves that a bit, but it's still just a vague impression of a beer. One of the weaker Bell's beers I've had.

12-01-2012 14:09:07 | More by zeledonia
BMMillsy

3.11/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Pours dark brown, nearly black with a small kahki head. Almost looks like a stout or thick porter. Aroma is very dark fruit, some yeast and spice, and maybe a hint of chocolate and, strangely, some smoke. Flavor is all fruits, with some banana, raisin, and fig. Them some strange roastiness. Medium mouthfeel with moderate to light carbonation. A touch bitter on the finish. Interesting, and not sure how to classify this one. It is unique, but a little weird. As I get further into it, it’s very hard to get it down. Honestly, this ended up a drainpour (but admittedly, I already downed a DIPA bomber and a 12 oz impy).

01-21-2013 17:43:34 | More by BMMillsy
webmanspidey

3.13/5  rDev -17%

Dark black with pinkish white lacing on the top. Sweet black cherry smell. Semisweet cherry flavor. I'm not too excited about this one, as the taste is a little strange to me. Mouthfeel is excellent and thick. Drinkability is average. This is not a terrible beer, but doesn't compare well to "Belgian" styles.

11-02-2008 02:19:00 | More by webmanspidey
Ryan011235

3.13/5  rDev -17%

Poured into a Bell's tulip on 11/5/12

11523 PKGD 10/03/12

Very dark brown; nearly black in the glass save a few grape juice highlighted streaks. One finger head thins considerably. Not much lace.

The aroma has a fair amount of toasted dark bread and a hint of roastiness and smoke. Fruits have a good showing - tart apple, apple butter, banana and hints of raisin. Mild yeast spice. Maybe a dusting of cocoa powder.

The taste starts with a fruity twinge, coupled with a moderate herbal hop presence. From there is thickens up with a bready middle and finishes dry and rather spicy. Hints of alcohol linger. Raisins and some sugary tones.

The body is close to medium-full; partially slick from alcohol and sugars and partially gritty. Carbonation is vigorous bur calms down over time.

It started off rough, but pulls together by about halfway through the glass. Decent enough, but I'm in no hurry to try it again.

11-06-2012 03:44:03 | More by Ryan011235
adammills

3.15/5  rDev -16.4%

I guess I need to stop thinking that I am going to drink a classic style beer from some american micros. This beer pours dark almost like a stout, with a slight head. Smells and tastes very much of roasted grains, caramel, and spicy alcohol. It is an alright beer, def not to style but at least it is interesting. The alcohol is not overwhelming like I have experienced with some other belgian strongs that I was not crazy about.

11-23-2006 13:28:53 | More by adammills
sohio

3.15/5  rDev -16.4%

After a sixer, I decided to pour my last bottle into my trust St. Bernardus tulip. Review time.

Bell's HHNF poured a thick black, each pour kinda "blurped" into the glass. Very little head or foam. Really, no lacing either. Seems well carbonated, thats for sure.

I try to pick up a smell, and there is almost nothing there. Maybe a little burnt caramel.

I tasted roasted malts, a bready finish. A sweet, dry after taste.

Medium, slightly oily mouthfeel.

Drinkability? After the fifth, I was ready to call it quits. At 7.5% Its a sippin beer for sure. Am I glad I tried it? You bet. Will I have this again? I'd have to say no.

05-15-2009 07:11:55 | More by sohio
TLove

District of Columbia

3.15/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Really surprised by the classification on this brew, but it doesnt seem that a lot of my peers are disagreeing here. I admit that I'm reluctant to review this as a BSDA, but will do my best to compensate.

Pours a thick, dark brown with a mahogany head and thin retention. The scents of smokiness and cinnamon are really strong up front with a touch of molasses and raisin. The smokiness of this beer pour into the taste, as does the cinnamon and raisin, but I really don't taste much of a yeast component to this beer, which is a crucial shaping component for the style.

The carbonation is crisp and dry and the balance renders more to a American porter. The finish, though also smoky, is a bit more syrupy than sugary and has a malt consistency that clouds the rather strong 7.5% ABV.

11-22-2009 16:36:29 | More by TLove
aerozeppl

3.15/5  rDev -16.4%

A: Really dark color almost black. A touch of brown around the edges. A thin coating of brownish head. No lacing really.

S: The nose has a little bit of a coffee thing going on. Roasted malt Little bit of caramelized sugar as well. Kind of a tight nose.

T: Lots of sweetness. Almost tastes like an imperial milk stout. Little bit of burnt sugar. Just kind of meh really. Nothing is really popping out at me. Not bad though.

M: Feels a little bit thin. Carbonation is very soft but it works.

D: Decent enough beer just not memorable. Not something that I would seek out again.

12-15-2010 23:44:09 | More by aerozeppl
chinchill

South Carolina

3.15/5  rDev -16.4%

12 oz bottle (2012) served in a goblet. Six pack says "American Dubbel Dark Ale".

Smoky aroma, like a rauchbier, and a bit sour. Some dark fruit as well.
Taste follows, although there is more dark malt here and the Belgian(?) yeast comes out too. The abbey dubbel style becomes a b it more apparent with warming.
Very smooth, with good low carbonation.

O: way too smoky for style. Disappointing and not recommended unless a rather smokey dubbel sounds appealing.

12-23-2012 03:23:02 | More by chinchill
drinknewbelgium

3.18/5  rDev -15.6%

pours dark almost totally black leaves small head smells are of sweet and roasted malts hints of coffee tastes of roasted malts coffee hints but spiced with sweetness finishes with more than enough hops i could say id maybe have another or two

this beer seems to be more of a stout to me the only thing that seperates it from that is sweet belgium spices but to be frank the tastes are sloppily arranged maybe if it was aged?

11-22-2006 16:43:23 | More by drinknewbelgium
jopl

3.18/5  rDev -15.6%

Poured into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours dark, held to the light it's a dark brown or black. 2 finger of head that slowly recedes to a ring around it. Spotty lacing around the cup as I drink it.

Smell: Fruit smell along with roasted malts and a bit of hops. A unique smell that I really can't place.

Taste: Interesting taste to the say least. Fruits and roasted malts hit your taste buds initially followed by a taste I can't quite describe and don't particularly like. A sweeter beer then I am used to.

Mouthfeel: A thick and very carbonated beer that tends to stick in your mouth after you drink it.

Drinkability: I don't think I'd be able to drink more then one in a sitting.

Overall I'm not too sure about this beer. I tend to go back and forth about liking it or not. One thing I can't argue about is it's originality. I definately haven't had another beer like it.

12-15-2006 05:13:45 | More by jopl
ahking

3.18/5  rDev -15.6%

A dark beer but not a stout. This beer is more of a belgian ale with complex yeast character and spiciness. A slight head with little lacing on the glass. Aroma is intensely spicy, herbal, and floral. Quite a nice surprise; like smelling a bouquet of beer flowers. Flavor is a bit strange though and I am not sure that I prefer it. Sweet, almost cloying, mixed with those herbal aromas doesnt mix well for me anyway. I would say this beer almost needs to be a bit more sour to balance it out and make it more like a true belgian. This beer would be a prince if it were barrel aged.

Worth a try if you are at the bar. I would be disappointed if I purchased an entire 6 pack of this (got it direct from the brewery in a mixed sixer).

10-31-2008 01:45:11 | More by ahking
afksports

3.18/5  rDev -15.6%

Well this is all super-fantastic and what not, but shucks. I was hoping this would be a lighter beer and I didn't look up the style description and now I'm dealing with a Belgian Strong Dark where I really wanted an Amber. Shucks. Woe is me.

All said, it looks sexy. Dark brown, nice tan head, settles sweetly in the snifter with good lacing. Smells like belgian yeast with sweet malts and a touch of hop bitter. But mostly like yeast and a bit of fruits. Taste follows, with that Belgian like sweetness combined with yeast and heat that tinges the palate and colors the drink. Whupdeedoo.

Feels good in the palate, but hard to drink. And I really just want a lighter beer. My stupid fridge only has these big ones.

On to Tecate.

Well... maybe.

01-20-2011 02:48:04 | More by afksports
clint1019

3.18/5  rDev -15.6%

A - Black in color with a chocolate colored head that dissapated very quickly.

S - Surprisingly I'm not getting much of anything. If anything maybe a slight sugary aroma. Not much else.

T - Roasty almost smokey malt flavor.

M - Medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

O - A decent beer, but nothing that I would seek out.

11-16-2011 01:15:24 | More by clint1019
MeisterSmudge

Indiana

Review from notes taken on 10/13/2010

Single 12oz bottle purchased from 21st Ammendment in Carmel, IN

Served in Chimay Chalice

Aroma: Very sweet, dark sugars and caramels with a definite hop presence. Hints of alcohol and molasses ease their way in. Moderate fig and pepper aromas as well. An overall enticing aroma.

Appearance: A very dark brown cloudy body with a decent tan head that diminishes rather quickly. Moderate lacing on the side of the glass.

Taste: This beer is very sweet and not in a good way. I pick up hints of licorice, chocolate, and a moderate raspberry-like fruitiness. There is a little bit of pepper and alcohol in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, fairly heavy carbonation but is still somewhat creamy. Noticeable alcohol warmth.

Overall: This beer is just a little bit too sweet for me. I sipped on this through the course of the night. Wouldn’t have minded splitting this with a friend. I’d like to give this a little bit of time and see how it mellows out.

12-01-2011 01:31:28 | More by MeisterSmudge
cratez

Ontario (Canada)

3.18/5  rDev -15.6%

12oz bottle purchased at Plum Market in Ann Arbor, MI.

Pours a pitch black hue with one finger of tan foam and some stringy lacing on the tulip.

Smell is roasted and nutty malts, blueberry, bubblegum, vinous aromas, cardamom, clove, red plum, faint cocoa, and smoke.

Taste is roasty malt, dark pit fruit, candi sugar, vinous red wine-like tartness mid-palate, slight cocoa and smoke, nondescript spiciness precedes a vanishing aftertaste. Doesn't do much for me.

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy, full-bodied, smooth middle, spicy and prickly hop bite transitions to a bone dry, chalky finish.

Overall, it seems like the brewer has mixed a dubbel and stout to craft this quirky take on a BSDA, but the end product fails to excite me. It's really just a malty ho hum strong ale that pales in comparison to the Belgian greats. I'm glad I got to try this since it's one of the rarer offerings from Bell's; however, I won't be purchasing again.

03-26-2012 04:16:42 | More by cratez
ADR

3.2/5  rDev -15.1%

Thick almost completely black color, dark tan creamy head. Fat globs of lace on the glass. Dark pumpernickel aroma, slight fruitiness but not much. Carbonation is lower, body fairly heavy. Flavor doesn't match style at all well, some aspects of non-descript sweetness at first, but an odd cooked celery impression that links up with an instant coffee sense and too much bittering at the close. The beer would be an OK dark Porter or a weaker Imperial Stout, but its not a good example of a Dubbel. Not really an awful brew, though on its own, its not much above average in that realm either.

10-31-2006 01:34:51 | More by ADR
terrabyte

Wisconsin

3.2/5  rDev -15.1%

Pours a deep black color with a medium brown head.

Aroma is thick with coffee and dark chocolate

The flavor will wake you up. Dark, bitter chocolate, toasted walnuts, cappuccino, smoke, and burnt firewood. Aftertaste has quite a boquet of flavors. Here you can catch hints of dark fruits, raisins, cherry cough syrup, and a bite of alcohol flavored like Jagermeister. Ending with some d.

Mouthfeel is a bit heavy and creamy. Low carbonation. Still drinkable despite all this.

Write your reviews fast when drinking this. I found most of my flavors in the beginning, and began to get used to them by the end. This is an assaulting mix of flavors that almost seem to be picked just to piss you off. Unlike some of the other reviewers, I didn't hate this beer than much. I merely raise an eyebrow at the combination. I think if it didn't have the burnt campfire ember in it, I might actually have enjoyed it more. Real hell, would have no beer.

10-31-2006 04:09:44 | More by terrabyte
Onibubba

Kentucky

3.23/5  rDev -14.3%

Got a couple of these in a mixed 6 pack. No style description other than "ale." Hard pour produces a black beverage with a small tight beige head which does not last. Can see some bubbles/carbonation in the liquid hugging the glass. Smell is somewhat neutral and inoffensive. No hop smell. I assume this is a stout or porter, and I'm going to go with a porter.

I don't really like the taste. Not sweet, but there is a sweetness to it. Not bitter, like hoppy, but a bit sour. Not tart, but bad sour. Mouthfeel is good. Carbonation is much lighted than it seemed. Not much of an alcohol bite. Could easily gulp this if I could get past the taste.

As I enter the review, I see that this is a Belgian Strong, not a stout or a porter. Huh. Higher alc than I assumed too. While not god awful, I'm in no hurry to touch my other bottle of this.

01-29-2007 13:33:36 | More by Onibubba
nortmand

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

Very dark pour with a fleeting brown head. Head is minimal throughout the entire beer.

Smells of ripe plums, roast and molasses. It smells good, but it kind of falls flat. It could be much more.

The flavor is similar. Everything is there, but just barely. Sweet molasses, roasted barley and dark, ripe fruits. There is a nice estery sweetness midtongue, but that's the only really exciting part. Leaves a metallic aftertaste.

Full bodied and a bit slick, leaves a warming alcohol effect. An ok beer, but not too exciting.

10-27-2006 22:08:11 | More by nortmand
akorsak

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

From a multi-case purchase with several central PA BA's.

A: The ale is a deep black color that allows no light to escape. The head is a small ring of off-white color, not too impressive.

S: The aroma is molasses and brown sugar with raisiny hints.

T: The ale has too much going on. The first few sips provide a molasses bitterness paired with brown sugar. Green grapes emerge after that with a bit of tartness. Finally there are some smoky flavors that bring the beer full-circle and accentuate the molasses flavors.

M: The flavors overall are a little to raw and mismatched for my tastes. Some parts, like the smokiness, really work but the molassess doesn't.

D: This is a rare miss, in my opinion, by Bell's. The flavors never come together, creating a series of conflicting tastes.

12-17-2006 23:26:19 | More by akorsak
JLeege

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

Batch 9999, bottle into a flute.

Appearance- Pours a very deep brown with a tan one finger head. Some slight ruby highlights when held to the light. Ok retention and laceing.

Smell- A lot of dark fruits, cherry, fig, plum. There is also some chocolate and faint coffee notes, is this a belgian stout!?!?

Taste- Dark fruits right up front, almost to the point of dry raisons. Lots of bubblegum in this too, weird. Does have a slightly chocolate aftertaste, but is not overly sweet or really dry.

Mouthfeel- mild carbonation, and this is actually a bit lighter than I was anticipating. No alcohol is noticed.

Overall- Decent enough flavor, but just very weird, I will drink the 6 pack, but will not be revisiting this one.

10-22-2010 01:32:57 | More by JLeege
masey222

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

First off it had a sweet label and name...
it poured a dark dark black brown with a thick creamy head that didn't really last though its lacing was impressive...
the smell was peppery and full of malts and kind of on the alcohol side of things but not in a warming way it pretty much looked me right in the eyes and said im going to kick your ass...
super complex flavor but it was very hard for me to get past the boozie taste, roasted malts and very much sweetened hawaiian coffee, I will say it did get much much better as it warmed up though...
it was a nice beer to drink besides the fact that it tasted like I was drinking something that I would regret, it had the right consistency and carbonation for the style...

Over all the beer was a bit stiff for me but my dad suggested because he is a fan of them it would make a good black and tan and I am going to go ahead and agree with him on that but there are better beers for less than the $15 this one will set you back.

11-26-2010 09:15:45 | More by masey222
Hell Hath No Fury Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.