Hell Hath No Fury Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hell Hath No Fury AleHell Hath No Fury Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Dubbel |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: CRJMellor on 11-03-2004

Originally conceived along the lines of a Belgian Dubbel, Hell Hath No Fury... Ale morphed during development into something entirely different. Blending a pair of Belgian abbey-style yeasts into a recipe more akin to a roasty stout, Hell Hath No Fury... Ale offers up warm, roasted notes of coffee & dark chocolate together with the fruity & clove-like aromas.
Reviews: 635 | Hads: 1,294
3.09/5  rDev -18%

Happy Thanksgiving 2011-

A- Hell Hath No Fury pours a very dark brown color w/ a half finger chocolate looking head. Pretty good lacing on the side of my snifter glass. Almost black in appearance.

S- The nose seems a little weak to me for the best in this style. I can barely pick out some fruit, spice, and maybe some bourbon? The nose is so weak, it's tough to single any one thing out.

T- The taste is good, but I don't know if this is in the right category.. Up against the best in style, this is merely average, and uninteresting.

M- Feel is a little better- it's full, fairly dry, and there's a nice alcohol warming aftertaste. Pretty smooth, and an easy drinker/sipper.

O- This is a decent beer, but it doesn't do the style justice. I probably won't look for this again. Cheers.

3.1/5  rDev -17.8%

bottled 10-18-11

A-Black as hell with a tan head that quickly dissipates.

S-Smells like a stout-heavy roasted malts.

T-Heavy roasted malt-not much else going on here. Just a hint of raisin sweetness as it warms.

M-Smooth-highly carbonated-alcohol non-existant

D-Very high

O-May have been inspired by a dubbel but this is a stout all the way. A good beer-but for the price I'd go with something else, no need to come back to this one.

3.11/5  rDev -17.5%

Pour is deep black to plum in tone, with a modest white head. It really looks more like a stout than a Belgian, but the purpleish tone does make its style more evident. Smell on this is a bit odd: pears, malts, some caramel. I do like it, but the style expectation here is high, and it did not impress on that basis.

Taste malty up front, orange peel, yeast, a bitter on the back of the tongue from the hops and a very full, creamy mouth. Alcohol starts to show up about midway, and on the swallow it is very prominent. There are bit of other Belgian trademarks here, some dark fruit character for instance, but they aren't hugely prominent. I would call the taste average for the style.

Mouthfeel, again, a bit above average for the style it has a nice creamy feel with some hop bitters. Drinkability, not bad, but the alcohol is certainly more notcieable here than with the average Belgian, so I have to keep drinkability down to a modest 3.

Basically: Bell's does Belgian Ale here with a moderate degree of success. The flavour on this one has less fruit and more alcohol than I personally care for though, so this one ends up getting average marks. Not a bad beer though.

3.11/5  rDev -17.5%

12 oz. bottle,bottled 08/28/2015. A new one to me from Bell's. No style listed on the bottle or label anywhere, I come to find it is categorized as a Dubbel.

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

A - Pours an extremely dark cola-black colored body, almost stout-like in appearance, if I didn't know any better. Finger and a half of frothy khaki-cream head. 'Chocolatey' in appearance. Looks very frothy and creamy, but I wouldn't know this was a Dubbel style ale just by looking.

S - A yeasty, minerally aroma. Creamy & chocolatey, the Belgian yeast infiltrates a roasted Barley aroma. Smells almost more like a spiced Belgian stout than it does a Dubbel.

T - Taste follows the nose: roasted Barley malt, Belgian yeast / spices. Roasty, bitter, chocolatey. Again, almost more of a spiced Belgian stout. Not particularly flavorful or interesting. Mild suggestions of cloves.

M - Feel is creamy, and easy-drinking, with good carb. No overt alcohol presence. Fullish in body.

Overall, average and uninteresting, and not a terribly good stab at the style. Might possibly be a suitable candidate for aging a bottle for a year or so. Still, not an ale from Bell's I'm too interested in having again, but I might perhaps like to see how the barrel-aged version fares.

Bell's Hell Hath No Fury Ale -----3/5.

3.11/5  rDev -17.5%

Batch 11523, bottled 3 October 2012. Tasted 29 November 2012, reviewed from notes.

Pours very dark brown, much darker than I was expecting. A bit of light gets through at the edges, and there it's coffee brown. Medium tan head, one finger, retention and lacing are just okay.

Smell is quite faint, but what's there is mildly fruity. Cherries and figs, a bit of coffee. Nice, but I have to work hard to get to them.

Taste is, likewise, blandly fruity. I get more potency here, but it's not as pleasant as the smell. Sort of ambiguous and tobacco-like. Slightly bitter, herby. Gets sweeter as it warms up, but it's ambiguous, and I can't really figure out what it tastes like. I'm chasing the flavor, and not finding enough.

Mouthfeel is fine. Medium-bodied, enough carbonation. Fades out more quickly than I'd guess, taking the flavor with it.

An odd beer, without any really pronounced flavors or aromas. I'm finding myself describing it by what it lacks, rather than what it has, because there just isn't all that much there. Warming up improves that a bit, but it's still just a vague impression of a beer. One of the weaker Bell's beers I've had.

3.11/5  rDev -17.5%

L: jet black, very stout-like...beautiful tan head
S: fruit, bread...kind of a mess
T: some roast, some dark fruit, some Belgian yeast....terrible after taste
F: mouthfeel ok, but overpowered by a terrible aftertaste
O: can't wrap my tastebuds around this mess

3.13/5  rDev -17%

A - Black in color with a chocolate colored head that dissapated very quickly.

S - Surprisingly I'm not getting much of anything. If anything maybe a slight sugary aroma. Not much else.

T - Roasty almost smokey malt flavor.

M - Medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

O - A decent beer, but nothing that I would seek out.

3.13/5  rDev -17%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Pours dark brown, nearly black with a small kahki head. Almost looks like a stout or thick porter. Aroma is very dark fruit, some yeast and spice, and maybe a hint of chocolate and, strangely, some smoke. Flavor is all fruits, with some banana, raisin, and fig. Them some strange roastiness. Medium mouthfeel with moderate to light carbonation. A touch bitter on the finish. Interesting, and not sure how to classify this one. It is unique, but a little weird. As I get further into it, it’s very hard to get it down. Honestly, this ended up a drainpour (but admittedly, I already downed a DIPA bomber and a 12 oz impy).

3.14/5  rDev -16.7%

12 oz bottle (2012) served in a goblet. Six pack says "American Dubbel Dark Ale".

Smoky aroma, like a rauchbier, and a bit sour. Some dark fruit as well.
Taste follows, although there is more dark malt here and the Belgian(?) yeast comes out too. The abbey dubbel style becomes a b it more apparent with warming.
Very smooth, with good low carbonation.

O: way too smoky for style. Disappointing and not recommended unless a rather smokey dubbel sounds appealing.

3.14/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Really surprised by the classification on this brew, but it doesnt seem that a lot of my peers are disagreeing here. I admit that I'm reluctant to review this as a BSDA, but will do my best to compensate.

Pours a thick, dark brown with a mahogany head and thin retention. The scents of smokiness and cinnamon are really strong up front with a touch of molasses and raisin. The smokiness of this beer pour into the taste, as does the cinnamon and raisin, but I really don't taste much of a yeast component to this beer, which is a crucial shaping component for the style.

The carbonation is crisp and dry and the balance renders more to a American porter. The finish, though also smoky, is a bit more syrupy than sugary and has a malt consistency that clouds the rather strong 7.5% ABV.

Poured into a Bell's tulip on 11/5/12

11523 PKGD 10/03/12

Very dark brown; nearly black in the glass save a few grape juice highlighted streaks. One finger head thins considerably. Not much lace.

The aroma has a fair amount of toasted dark bread and a hint of roastiness and smoke. Fruits have a good showing - tart apple, apple butter, banana and hints of raisin. Mild yeast spice. Maybe a dusting of cocoa powder.

The taste starts with a fruity twinge, coupled with a moderate herbal hop presence. From there is thickens up with a bready middle and finishes dry and rather spicy. Hints of alcohol linger. Raisins and some sugary tones.

The body is close to medium-full; partially slick from alcohol and sugars and partially gritty. Carbonation is vigorous bur calms down over time.

It started off rough, but pulls together by about halfway through the glass. Decent enough, but I'm in no hurry to try it again.

3.15/5  rDev -16.4%

Dark black with pinkish white lacing on the top. Sweet black cherry smell. Semisweet cherry flavor. I'm not too excited about this one, as the taste is a little strange to me. Mouthfeel is excellent and thick. Drinkability is average. This is not a terrible beer, but doesn't compare well to "Belgian" styles.

3.18/5  rDev -15.6%

I guess I need to stop thinking that I am going to drink a classic style beer from some american micros. This beer pours dark almost like a stout, with a slight head. Smells and tastes very much of roasted grains, caramel, and spicy alcohol. It is an alright beer, def not to style but at least it is interesting. The alcohol is not overwhelming like I have experienced with some other belgian strongs that I was not crazy about.

3.18/5  rDev -15.6%

A: Really dark color almost black. A touch of brown around the edges. A thin coating of brownish head. No lacing really.

S: The nose has a little bit of a coffee thing going on. Roasted malt Little bit of caramelized sugar as well. Kind of a tight nose.

T: Lots of sweetness. Almost tastes like an imperial milk stout. Little bit of burnt sugar. Just kind of meh really. Nothing is really popping out at me. Not bad though.

M: Feels a little bit thin. Carbonation is very soft but it works.

D: Decent enough beer just not memorable. Not something that I would seek out again.

3.2/5  rDev -15.1%

Thick almost completely black color, dark tan creamy head. Fat globs of lace on the glass. Dark pumpernickel aroma, slight fruitiness but not much. Carbonation is lower, body fairly heavy. Flavor doesn't match style at all well, some aspects of non-descript sweetness at first, but an odd cooked celery impression that links up with an instant coffee sense and too much bittering at the close. The beer would be an OK dark Porter or a weaker Imperial Stout, but its not a good example of a Dubbel. Not really an awful brew, though on its own, its not much above average in that realm either.

3.2/5  rDev -15.1%

pours dark almost totally black leaves small head smells are of sweet and roasted malts hints of coffee tastes of roasted malts coffee hints but spiced with sweetness finishes with more than enough hops i could say id maybe have another or two

this beer seems to be more of a stout to me the only thing that seperates it from that is sweet belgium spices but to be frank the tastes are sloppily arranged maybe if it was aged?

3.2/5  rDev -15.1%

12oz bottle purchased at Plum Market in Ann Arbor, MI.

Pours a pitch black hue with one finger of tan foam and some stringy lacing on the tulip.

Smell is roasted and nutty malts, blueberry, bubblegum, vinous aromas, cardamom, clove, red plum, faint cocoa, and smoke.

Taste is roasty malt, dark pit fruit, candi sugar, vinous red wine-like tartness mid-palate, slight cocoa and smoke, nondescript spiciness precedes a vanishing aftertaste. Doesn't do much for me.

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy, full-bodied, smooth middle, spicy and prickly hop bite transitions to a bone dry, chalky finish.

Overall, it seems like the brewer has mixed a dubbel and stout to craft this quirky take on a BSDA, but the end product fails to excite me. It's really just a malty ho hum strong ale that pales in comparison to the Belgian greats. I'm glad I got to try this since it's one of the rarer offerings from Bell's; however, I won't be purchasing again.

3.21/5  rDev -14.9%

A dark beer but not a stout. This beer is more of a belgian ale with complex yeast character and spiciness. A slight head with little lacing on the glass. Aroma is intensely spicy, herbal, and floral. Quite a nice surprise; like smelling a bouquet of beer flowers. Flavor is a bit strange though and I am not sure that I prefer it. Sweet, almost cloying, mixed with those herbal aromas doesnt mix well for me anyway. I would say this beer almost needs to be a bit more sour to balance it out and make it more like a true belgian. This beer would be a prince if it were barrel aged.

Worth a try if you are at the bar. I would be disappointed if I purchased an entire 6 pack of this (got it direct from the brewery in a mixed sixer).

3.21/5  rDev -14.9%

Well this is all super-fantastic and what not, but shucks. I was hoping this would be a lighter beer and I didn't look up the style description and now I'm dealing with a Belgian Strong Dark where I really wanted an Amber. Shucks. Woe is me.

All said, it looks sexy. Dark brown, nice tan head, settles sweetly in the snifter with good lacing. Smells like belgian yeast with sweet malts and a touch of hop bitter. But mostly like yeast and a bit of fruits. Taste follows, with that Belgian like sweetness combined with yeast and heat that tinges the palate and colors the drink. Whupdeedoo.

Feels good in the palate, but hard to drink. And I really just want a lighter beer. My stupid fridge only has these big ones.

On to Tecate.

Well... maybe.

3.22/5  rDev -14.6%

Poured into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours dark, held to the light it's a dark brown or black. 2 finger of head that slowly recedes to a ring around it. Spotty lacing around the cup as I drink it.

Smell: Fruit smell along with roasted malts and a bit of hops. A unique smell that I really can't place.

Taste: Interesting taste to the say least. Fruits and roasted malts hit your taste buds initially followed by a taste I can't quite describe and don't particularly like. A sweeter beer then I am used to.

Mouthfeel: A thick and very carbonated beer that tends to stick in your mouth after you drink it.

Drinkability: I don't think I'd be able to drink more then one in a sitting.

Overall I'm not too sure about this beer. I tend to go back and forth about liking it or not. One thing I can't argue about is it's originality. I definately haven't had another beer like it.

3.23/5  rDev -14.3%

Pours a deep black color with a medium brown head.

Aroma is thick with coffee and dark chocolate

The flavor will wake you up. Dark, bitter chocolate, toasted walnuts, cappuccino, smoke, and burnt firewood. Aftertaste has quite a boquet of flavors. Here you can catch hints of dark fruits, raisins, cherry cough syrup, and a bite of alcohol flavored like Jagermeister. Ending with some d.

Mouthfeel is a bit heavy and creamy. Low carbonation. Still drinkable despite all this.

Write your reviews fast when drinking this. I found most of my flavors in the beginning, and began to get used to them by the end. This is an assaulting mix of flavors that almost seem to be picked just to piss you off. Unlike some of the other reviewers, I didn't hate this beer than much. I merely raise an eyebrow at the combination. I think if it didn't have the burnt campfire ember in it, I might actually have enjoyed it more. Real hell, would have no beer.

3.23/5  rDev -14.3%

A:very dark brown/black. Nice dark white head at first. It recedes and doesn't leave much lacing.

S:dark maltiness-charcoal and a bit of chocolate.

T:starts off with the charcoal/chocolate taste in the smell. Then their is a weird spiciness in the middle and an odd resemblance to flavors found in a hefeweizen:bananas and cloves(stronger when it is colder) Finishes very sweet and dark.

M:medium thickness and dense feeling.

D:average. It doesn't taste too alcoholic but the flavors are an odd mixture and very unusual. The sweetness and odd flavor profile limitas drinkablilty. I am glad I split this bottle but I would definitley try the barrel-aged version if I had the chance.

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

This beer pours a dark shade of brown, perhaps even black with a minimal head that fades quickly. Nice lacing. The aroma is that of roasted, almost burnt malts. Slightly earthy and fruity as well. The flavor is slightly fruity but dominated by the roasty flavor... perhaps a little caramel in the background, too. Mouthfeel is full, creamy yet not too heavy. Drinkable? One, yes. There's too much to this beer for me to drink more than one at any given time, but definitely enjoyable.

Review from notes taken on 10/13/2010

Single 12oz bottle purchased from 21st Ammendment in Carmel, IN

Served in Chimay Chalice

Aroma: Very sweet, dark sugars and caramels with a definite hop presence. Hints of alcohol and molasses ease their way in. Moderate fig and pepper aromas as well. An overall enticing aroma.

Appearance: A very dark brown cloudy body with a decent tan head that diminishes rather quickly. Moderate lacing on the side of the glass.

Taste: This beer is very sweet and not in a good way. I pick up hints of licorice, chocolate, and a moderate raspberry-like fruitiness. There is a little bit of pepper and alcohol in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, fairly heavy carbonation but is still somewhat creamy. Noticeable alcohol warmth.

Overall: This beer is just a little bit too sweet for me. I sipped on this through the course of the night. Wouldn’t have minded splitting this with a friend. I’d like to give this a little bit of time and see how it mellows out.

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

A - Very dark, almost black in color. Actually reminded me a lot of a coffee stout in appearance. Thin khaki colored head that dissipated quickly.

S - Strong roasted odor with a hint of alcohol and some malts as well.

T - Dark fruit, malt, some hints of chocolate, and a very slight alcohol warming sensation.

M - Most definitely full, with a sticky texture that coats your mouth. Light carbonation.

O - I'm not very experienced in this style, but as far as tasty beers are concerned, this one was unique. Not something that necessarily jumps off the page, and I prefer Dogfish Head Raison d'etre over this, but still a decent selection.

Hell Hath No Fury Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.