Hell Hath No Fury Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hell Hath No Fury AleHell Hath No Fury Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: CRJMellor on 11-03-2004)
3.73/5  rDev -1.1%

Darkest mahogany with toasted pecan trim. I've seen plenty of stouts that weren't this dark. The wonderful looking cap is buttered wheat toast brown. Although it doesn't match the rocky majesty of a true BSDA, it's a looker in its own right. So far I'm impressed.

I like the nose as well. It's dark malty and is spicy enough to make me believe that an actual Belgian yeast strain was used. As long as the phenolic nature of the aroma stays in the background, the flavor and I will get along just fine.

Hell Hath No Fury doesn't quite get it done on the palate. I respect Bell's enough to judge this beer as I would a BSDA from Belgium. The sad truth is, it comes up considerably short. It's still a little on the cool side, so I'll be interested to see if I change my tune once it warms a little.

The first thing that strikes me is how much the beer feels like a double stout in the mouth. It's full and could even be considered borderline syrupy thanks to all the mouthcoating. That lush, sticky feeling is accentuated by a relative lack of carbonation (relative, at least, to a Belgian ale). Since I like this sort of mouthfeel, I think it's great.

The flavor seems a little dumbed down to me. Most of the usual style elements are present: ripe figs, dark candi sugar, dark rum, cocoa, molasses... even anise. Clove spice is present and accounted for as well. For some reason, though, they don't meld into the wonderfully complex whole that the world's best versions deliver. It's hard to put into words. I know a great BSDA when I drink one and I'm not drinking one right now.

I was interested to see how one of the best breweries in American would approach one of my favorite styles. While I can't say that I'm completely disappointed, I have no desire to buy another bottle if no changes are made. Hell Hath No Fury Ale hath a lot of potential, but it ain't there yet.

BuckeyeNation, Apr 05, 2007

12 oz. bottle that has to have the best or one the best Bell's label around. You could easily spot this beer at your local beer shop, because of its bright pink label and its sweet ass funny picture. On this bright pink label is a big ring of fire that has these cartoon characters of the devil and his very grumpy wife. These cartoon characters remind me of a cartoon that aired back in back in the 90's called "Rocko's Modern Life." They look very similar. I'm sure Bell's was going for the old saying "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorn" because this label depicts the devil's wife getting ready to verbally assault him. You can see that the devil knows what's coming to him because of how he is grinning and the way he's standing so un guilty like. The devil had to do something to upset her and I'm guessing he either sent his mother in law to the farthest region of hell or he was flirting with another younger and more attractive woman devil. I couldn't help but notice that these characters are about to argue on a green pasture. I thought hell was supposed to be all fire and brimstone. I guess they're in the nice part of hell. The back label has the same pink coloring, but with a little blurb about the beer, Government warning, and a batch # you input into their website to see when it was packaged. Mine was batch #7673, which means it was packaged on October 11, 2006. It's a label you need to see with your own eyes to believe. Served in a Lion Brewery tulip/goblet.

Appearance: What came out of the bottle was a beer that was the same color as the devil's hart, dark BLACK! Maybe it wasn't as black as the devil's heart because I could see a glimmer of ruby red highlights at the bottom of the beer. It had a small skim of foam that had a color that was a cross between a Cherry Coke red and a light mocha tan/brown. When it dissipated away, it left behind a trace of Cherry Coke/mocha rings and just a minimal amount of sticky lace. Not as nice as the appearance of the label, but very few things can claim that distinction.

Smell: It smells like the devil took all the flavors in the aroma put them on his pitchfork like skewer and then roasted them over one of the many open fiery pits in hell. That means you I could smell roasted malts, roasted dark chocolate, a dash of roasted dark fruits, and just a hint of roasted herbal hops at the end. When it warms up, the roasted flavors settle down quite a bit and an aroma of non-roasted fresh red raspberries emerges from out of nowhere and takes over. The red raspberries were an unexpected treat.

Taste: This is where you get to taste all those roasted over a fiery pit in hell flavors that you smelled. That means you get plenty of roasted and slightly burnt malts, dark fruits, bitter dark chocolate, mixed nuts, and herbal hops. Like the smell, the taste too had an unexpected treat. This time it wasn't raspberries, it was fresh grapes. When I first tasted the grapes, I thought where did this taste come from? I honestly don't care where they came from. Toward the bottom of the glass, the grapes are then replaced by a yeast flavor. I know where that came from. Every flavor in this beer was getting replaced by another flavor until it couldn't give any more.

Mouthfeel: I would have to say that the mouthfeel is medium bodied, not too dry, very little carbonation, and with an aftertaste of roasted malts, roasted dark chocolate, and a few herbal hops. Toward the bottom it does get really yeasty, but I knew that was coming. With all of these roasted and burnt flavors, I was expecting a taste of alcohol somewhere, but it just didn't come to me.

Drinkability: Hell Hath No Fury like a very unusual beer from Bell's Brewery. If given the chance, I would pick this beer up again. If you like to be surprised in a good way when it comes to a beer, then pick one up (you can't miss this label at the store) or trade for one. I don't care what category this beer falls into, it's just a really good beer that I enjoyed.

AltBock, Apr 05, 2007
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Almost pitch black liquid. When held to a light, some dark brown/ redness can be seen around the edges. A nice, thin creamy light brown head forms and settles to a sheet that covers the entire top and sticks around for awhile. No lacing.

S- This is very interesting. Some coffee, chocolate, black licorice, some burnt plastic? Dark fruit. Kind of sweet. There is a definite Belgian note to this, but it does seem much more subdued now that it has had some time to sit in the cellar.

T- Same as the aroma. The flavor really lingers well after the swallow. It has a smoky aspect to the flavor as well. Maybe a little beef jerky in there too.

M- A little on the dry side. The carbonation keeps things on the lighter side.

D- This beer really grew on me. I was really not a fan at first, but it ended up being a pleasant experience this time around.

david131, Apr 03, 2007
Photo of
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle.

Black as night in color. When held up to a strong light, appears to be a clear, mahogany color at the edges. Modest, brown colored, head.

Aroma hit me with dark fruits, mainly raisins & figs. Roast/burnt toast. Molasses. Just a bit of soy sauce, particularly as it warmed.

Taste was, initially, roasted malt & burnt toast. As it warmed, it quickly became more sweet than bitter, with the raisins, figs and caramel/molasses flavors coming out. Coffee made an appearance, mainly in aftertaste. Touch of soy in taste as well.

Medium to heavy in body. Medium carbonation. Just a bit dry.

Overall, a nice beer, but didn't turn my world upside down. Not sure if it was expectation or palate, but I assumed this was a stout when I poured it (had no idea of the style), and after drinking it, it strikes me as quite stout like. Never would have guessed BSDA.

, Mar 19, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

Dark, opague, almost black color with a moderate chocolate colored head that disipates pretty quickly, only traces of lace.

The aroma is coffe, raisins, cherries, cloves ans anise.

The taste starts sweet with plums, raisins and figs then a mild espresso coffee note followed by hint of chocolate.Overall there are clove, anise and allspice notes, particularly in the finish along with a definite alcohol warmth.

Medium/heavy bodied, almost chewy but fairly smooth and drinkable, although this is more for sipping after dinner than chugging for a session. It actually went well with corned beef and cabbage, although grilled steak would probably be even better.

whynot44, Mar 18, 2007
3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

Sampled February 2007
Pours with a three finger thick, light brown cooled head that sits atop a perfectly porter colored beer. That is the beer is quite dark, really almost a perfect black color, that showed a dark brown, clear hue as I was pouring it. The aroma has fruity notes of plum to it up front, plus some roasted / burnt notes to it. Some faint earthy spice notes round things out; a sort of damp earth and clove amalgam of aromatic notes.

The beer is quite sweet and thick, in fact it is very chewy. Way too thick for a Belgian Dubbel, but hey this was already a beer outside any stylistic guides from the get go. The flavor is finished off by a burnt fig / raisin note, as well as notes of blackened caramel. While this is fairly sweet, I would not describe it in any way as saccharinely sweet. Instead the sweetness is from a plethora of complex malt sugars, which also serve to make this beer quite chewy. Light notes of clove, a touch of allspice, some hints of white pepper all fight to be noticed as they are buried underneath all of the malt. The malt character is at times toasty, definitely caramel like, with touches of toffee and burnt bread crust, really it reminds me in some ways of a traditional, black, German, holiday sweet bread.

If I had not been forewarned, I would have been sorely disappointed in this beer as it is so far from a traditional Belgian Ale, much less a Dubbel. Having said that though, I actually enjoyed this brew. Its biggest flaw is that it is too thick, it is almost a meal and even calling it chewy underestimates it.

Gueuzedude, Mar 17, 2007
3.28/5  rDev -13%

Interesting looking brew. This is definately the darkest "Belgian Dark" I've had. Half inch of medium tan head on the pour, reduced to a skim layer with a ring around the glass.

An interesting mix of toasted malts with a touch of chocolate and some vinuous fruits underneath. Has a musty straw overtone as well. Also a bit of that belgian twang and this strange spicing that seems a lot like anise or sassafras...unique. Lots going on here, a bit out of the style...it gets bonus points for being unique.

Flavor isn't nearly as complicated. Initially it is fairly light flavored on the tongue and has some unripened vinuous aspects. Then there is a transition to a bit of a toasted flavor that isn't nearly as predominant as the nose hinted. Finishing flavor is Belgian sugar and yeast and that anise flavor again. Alcohol become evident after the swallow. This is just a bit strange overall, tastes kind of spiced.

Mouthfeel is thin to medium, maybe a bit more medium. A bit overcarbonated making it a bit too crisp on the tongue. Flavor lingers after the swallow.

Just average drinkability. Not necessarily hard to drink at the moment but this one is enough for me now and probably forever. Just a bit odd...unique sounds less derogatory though...

blitz134, Mar 15, 2007
3.8/5  rDev +0.8%

Appearance: Arrives at the table with a root beer brown color and a ringlet of a head that leaves no lace

Smell: Vinous red wine and vinegar arome with a horse blanket element to it

Taste: Woody vinous flavor with a tobacco and horse blanket finish

Mouthfeel: Thick body with very little carbonation

Drinkability: Intriguing, but not my cup of tea

brentk56, Mar 10, 2007
3.4/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bell's- Hell Hath No Fury Ale

Appearance- Murky brown with no head.
Smell- Light fruit aroma. Detected raisins, cherry, and prune.
Taste- Light dried fruit flavors came through, raisin, prune, and cherry with a mix of licorice.
Mouthfeel- Slight alcohol presence. Smooth and warming on the tongue.
Overall- A bit on the mild side, but tasty and a good choice.

NJpadreFan, Mar 10, 2007
3.65/5  rDev -3.2%

The almost black pour surprised me, thought it would have been lighter. Nice tan head caps this frothy brew.

Another surprise, almost no aroma here, just some lite pops of chocolate coffee malt. Very sharp and cutting taste of plums, raisons and figs. Hot alcohol presence, almost with a medicine touch. A Belgium yeasty peaks his head up from the corner.

Nice drinkin brew, kinda on the expensive side to really be a session brew, for me.

Vancer, Feb 25, 2007
3.83/5  rDev +1.6%

12oz bottle poured into an oversized wine glass.

Pours a dark brown with ruby highlights around the edges, a dark tan head that rises quickly and falls to only the slightest ring of foam.

Smells of spices, anise and a little smoky, along with some sweet fruitiness. Big whiffs of alcohol as well.

Taste is much the same, the sweetness of the malts at the forefront but boy does that smokiness prevail in the finish. I've had this beer a few times and this is the first time I've got such a strong burnt flavor. Perhaps this beer's spent some time in hell, itself? The sweetness of the malts and sugars are nicely balanced by the roasty bitterness.

Mouthfeel is pretty good, though I was expecting something a little thicker or fuller in body.

Drinkability is pretty good, a session with this beer though and pretty soon you may be scorning your woman, and well you know the rest...

foureyedgeek, Feb 25, 2007
2.8/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This beer pours a very dark brown color. It is almost black. I can not see through it at all. It boasts a thin brown head that fades slowly leaving many laces.

This beer has a spicy aroma. It smells of cloves. It also has a slightly metallic aroma. Too bad. Some cherry is present. It has a slight bittersweet chocolate aroma as well.

This beer tastes much like it smells. Metalic flavor up front. Some spicyness. Chocolate covered cherries are also present. Unfortunately, the metalic flavor is dominate.

This beer leaves a metalic aftertaste. It is carbonated well.

I doubt this beer would make the best session beer. I am not sure if I got a bad bottle, or if this beer is just not very good.

Overall: I am sorry that I didnt like this one a bit more. I love Bells, and I love the style. Something just wasnt right this time. Thanks anyways ggaughan for giving me the chance to try this one.

OStrungT, Feb 20, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to rsyberg01 for the bottle

Let me start by saying I read nothing about this beer before I tried it, boy was I shocked!! Was expecting maybe a DIPA, or a brown ale...

Poured a deep dark brown, big thick brown creamy head faded quickly leaving a thin 1/2 inch clingy lacey gooey head that stuck till the bottom of the glass. The smell was classic belgian, sweet, dark cherries, but hints of caramel, even maybe chocolate, very full and nice bouguet. Maybe even a sherry or bourbon smell as well. Taste was wonderful, dark fruity flavors right up front, apricots, bananas, cherry, a bit of a bready taste and a nice dry finish. The feel was so much lighter tehn I though basedd on appearence, and that is a good thing in this case. Not thick at all, very nice light and lively consistency, nice carboination, dances around in the mouth, beautiful. This one really shocked me, mostly because I did not know it was a belgian strong dark, I thik I may do more blind reviews as it was a welcome suprise to say the least!

mikesgroove, Feb 18, 2007
3.98/5  rDev +5.6%

Thanks to nflmvp for this one.

12 os bottle poured into a tulip glass. Large 2-3 finger dark tan head head. Recedes to a filmy lace. Color is dark, dark brown/black.
Smell is malty with a chocolate presence. Slight floral hops noted. Taste is very floral compared to the smell.
Mouthfeel is is very full bodied and velvety smooth.
I don't know why this Bell's beer isn't readily available in my area as other Bell's. Go figure.

bort11, Feb 12, 2007
3.93/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours really dark brown, with a light head.

Smells are of dark candied fruits. A tad spicy.

Flavors are of sweet dark roasted malts. A candied like character, some spice, and with a dry tart finish.

Mouthweel is excellent on this one. Really full and well rounded. Nice carbonation.

Pretty nice Belgian Strong Dark Ale. It is quite drinkable, interesting, and enjoyable.

Bottle courtesy of JohnnyM2002.

flexabull, Feb 11, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours amazingly dark, actually completely black body hosting a two finger thick beautiful milk chocolate head. Vibrant spicey nose, jumps out of the bubbles at you with notes of wheat, and a hint of malt. Enters the mouth nicely dark and quickly yields a strong presence of burnt malt. This palate is nicely presented and actually smooth and even for how dark it is. Nice warming effect to the belly. A easy drinking mouthfeel for the style, very welcome. Solid winter beer. Will probably age well. Yum!

SPLITGRIN, Feb 11, 2007

Draft at KClinger’s. Came out pitch black; it sat for a while so I’m not sure on the head. What was left was tan and thin. This was a nice thick dark beer with a bit of an anise aroma, well-rounded roasty flavors wtih a bit of a licorice twist. Well done, and welcome on a cold Pennsylvania night. (#2650, 1/14/07)

Braudog, Feb 04, 2007
3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

Interesting bottle label, makes me laugh.

Appearance - beer pours dark, head dissapates quickly, of a lighter tan color.

Smell - Dark, Dark, Dark. Strong burnt malt smell, carmel, chocolate present as well. Very complex blend of smells. Hope the taste is this interesting.

Taste – Can actually taste the alcohol, but not overpowering. Burnt malts and strong nutty tastes shine through, yeast is also noteworthy. Belgian roots surface.

Mouthfeel – Slight tingle from the carbonation. Feels somewhat thick, taste lingers after a sip. Coats the inside of the mouth rather nicely. Spicy, yeasty aftertaste.

Drinkability – Wouldn’t drink more than one at a sitting. Too complex for an easy drinker, although very enjoyable. This is a beer to be appreciated, rather than consumed in large quantities (although the alcohol content might make that interesting). Overall a multifaceted beverage that is captivating both to the eye and to the mouth.

peppertopher, Feb 03, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

Hell hath no fury like a man who spills his beer...or a women scorned...or a kid who didn't get an iPod for Christmas.

The brew pours out an opaque black, with a thin dark khaki head. Some yeast particles have settled on the bottom of the glass.

Aroma is one of dark roasted malts. Dark fruits, unsweetened chocolate, spices, burnt toffee and just a touch of yeast. Very complex and enjoyable.

Flavor is almost as complex as the smell. I pick up the dark unsweetened chocolate, spices, burnt toffee, and a bit of a light coffee flavor. There is some burnt bread crust in there as well.

Carbonation isn't factor here, but the body has good substance to it. Some dry bitterness in the aftertaste, but it doesn't last very long. Another fine job by Larry.

Imstillthegman, Feb 01, 2007
4.45/5  rDev +18%

thanks to nflmvp for this bottle, an extra in a trade, what a guy!

A - this belgian pours a wicked dark inky color, with a thin dark tan colored head that laces to a stubborn ring after half a minute

S - wow, what a complex aroma, every time i smell it i get a new characteristic, most prominent is a deep dark fruity raisin or date, with hints of toffee, vanilla, and spice, like nutmeg or coriander, incredible

T - WOW, i thought the taste was complex, this is an amazingly layered taste, wheaty and bready up front, with chocolate/coffee flavors, and raisiny. this beer does a good job of masking its style, It could be one of several things. it ends with a dry finish with an alcohol kick.

M&D - smooth and mouthcoating, but a bit dry and a sharp alcohol twang, but what an amazing beer, so many flavors packed in 12 oz. man i may move to MI for beer alone. this may be the best Bell's offering i've ever had.

sinstaineddemon, Jan 31, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +18.6%

Here it goes! Out pours this liquid, black as night, completely unexpected, but not as thick looking as a stout. The relatively small head is bordering on brown. In the nose I get all sorts of things - coffee, licorice, bread, and even a meaty summer sausage smell. But again, it's not like a stout - there's something lighter and not so somber about it. Upon tasting, I find more - notes of cranberry and cherry, along with the dark, roasted, chocolate flavors, but again, it has some brightness to it. In the mouth it's smooth, but not creamy, with a little alcohol bite to. Overall, I was really pleased with this brew - the alcohol starts to kick in so I wouldn't be able to pack these in, but it's a really pleasant drinking experience.

MDekker, Jan 30, 2007
3.23/5  rDev -14.3%

Got a couple of these in a mixed 6 pack. No style description other than "ale." Hard pour produces a black beverage with a small tight beige head which does not last. Can see some bubbles/carbonation in the liquid hugging the glass. Smell is somewhat neutral and inoffensive. No hop smell. I assume this is a stout or porter, and I'm going to go with a porter.

I don't really like the taste. Not sweet, but there is a sweetness to it. Not bitter, like hoppy, but a bit sour. Not tart, but bad sour. Mouthfeel is good. Carbonation is much lighted than it seemed. Not much of an alcohol bite. Could easily gulp this if I could get past the taste.

As I enter the review, I see that this is a Belgian Strong, not a stout or a porter. Huh. Higher alc than I assumed too. While not god awful, I'm in no hurry to touch my other bottle of this.

Onibubba, Jan 29, 2007
3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

Appearance: Pours a dark brown color, almost black. Nice caramel one finger head that quickly dissipated with no retention to speak of.

Smell: Dark fruit notes with a bit of chocolate and coffee. A minor a woody roastiness is apparent.

Taste: A molasses sweetness is first apparent but gives way to a roasted coffee and chocolate flavor. The dark fruits then become present. Nice dry finish. This seems awfully close to a stout / BSDA hybrid.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and easy on the palate. Nice mouthfeel. No carbonation to speak of.

Drinkability: I definitely could drink more of these, but I may prefer either a proper BSDA or stout.

stereosforgeeks, Jan 28, 2007
3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

I had this on tap last night, served in a large goblet. Nice deep brown color. Smells delicious. The alcohol content is high, but not overwhelming. I was a bit disappointed by the fact that the taste of the beer did not linger on the tongue. Pretty solid Belgian style dark ale, however, and on tap for $3 was a steal!

sellthesedownfal, Jan 24, 2007
3.55/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark auburn and fills my snifter to become an opaque black. Starts with a nice looking creamy dark tan head but quickly reduces to a mere lace ring. The nose consists primarily of roasted malt notes with pungent, acidic esters and maple for some contrast. Malt nose transfers over to the palate as dry roasted malt, dark fruits, plum, some bittersweet chocolate, and spicy hop for balance. Yeasty characters are more subdued than I’d like, but what does come through is sour astringent that ends up tasting like cough syrup. Full bodied and moderate carbonation gives this a thick and fizzy mouthfeel. A descent BSDA but strays from the yeasty characters that I prefer.

cabsandking, Jan 23, 2007
Hell Hath No Fury Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.