Hell Hath No Fury Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hell Hath No Fury AleHell Hath No Fury Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: CRJMellor on 11-03-2004

Originally conceived along the lines of a Belgian Dubbel, Hell Hath No Fury... Ale morphed during development into something entirely different. Blending a pair of Belgian abbey-style yeasts into a recipe more akin to a roasty stout, Hell Hath No Fury... Ale offers up warm, roasted notes of coffee & dark chocolate together with the fruity & clove-like aromas.
3.91/5  rDev +3.7%

A- Pitch black with a two finger beige brown head
S- Smells very similar to a stout, lots of dark chocolate and coffee characteristics. Some earthy tones.
T- Small amounts of Belgian yeast, not quite what I was expecting. Lots of coffee and some chocolate. A tiny bit of cinnamon spice.
M- Not much carbonation, leaves behind a sticky mouth feeling similar to bells double cream stout. Easy to drink but has a think enough to leave a lasting taste in your mouth.
O- When I read this was a dark Belgian strong I immediately thought of Duvel which is the only Belgian strong I have had. But this beer is different in almost every way. If somebody had given it to me I would have thought it was a stout, which is fine by me.

4.03/5  rDev +6.9%

A: Pours a dark raisin brown with a large brown head into my Captain Lawrence tulip.

S: Aroma of raisins, belgian candy sugar, belgian yeast, sweet malt, molasses.

T: A healthy dosing of brown malt, belgian yeast, earthiness and some raisin with figs and plums. The fruit flavors are slightly dry but definitely enjoyable and I was surprised to find all of these complexities in a Bells standard 12 oz bottle. Glad to see that Bells still hasnt sold out on upgrading the bottles just because they put a different style beer in it.

M: Thick and lightly carbonated . Appropriate for the style .

O: A surprise from Bells. I don't think I have had a Belgian ale from them and this was actually better than I had anticipated. As I said earlier, I am still glad that Bells isnt upgrading the bottles to a larger format because of select releases and charging more for the bottle.

3.83/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured from their 12oz bottle...

Appearance - Poured about 3 fingers of mocha tan colored head, color of the beer is an opaque dar mahogany brown. (I also incorporated the sediment into the beer prior to pouring)

Smell - Belgian yeast, coriander, molasses, dark fruits.

Taste - Wow, this is a very flavorful beer! Flavor is very complex and extremely well balanced - flavors are belgian yeast, molasses, dark fruits, coriander and a touch of pepper, and licorice long into the finish. This beer does have a little heat though, the presence of the alcohol is noticeable.

Mouthfeel - Mouthfeel is medium, but medium carb keeps this beer pretty crisp and very drinkable.

Overall - I really enjoy the flavors and the spiciness of this beer, the only downside is that the alcohol is noticeable in this brew, and it's only 7.5% ABV per the bottle. I still highly recommend this beer, and with this being a seasonal release, the alcohol presence can be a very warming welcome on a cool winter night ;)

3.09/5  rDev -18%

Happy Thanksgiving 2011-

A- Hell Hath No Fury pours a very dark brown color w/ a half finger chocolate looking head. Pretty good lacing on the side of my snifter glass. Almost black in appearance.

S- The nose seems a little weak to me for the best in this style. I can barely pick out some fruit, spice, and maybe some bourbon? The nose is so weak, it's tough to single any one thing out.

T- The taste is good, but I don't know if this is in the right category.. Up against the best in style, this is merely average, and uninteresting.

M- Feel is a little better- it's full, fairly dry, and there's a nice alcohol warming aftertaste. Pretty smooth, and an easy drinker/sipper.

O- This is a decent beer, but it doesn't do the style justice. I probably won't look for this again. Cheers.

3.98/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours opaque dark brown to black. Dense tan head with lacing on the surface. Smell is very mild roasted malt. Taste is roasted malt at first. Some coffee notes. Sweetness through the middle but not too much. Coming back to some roasted malt bitterness in the finish. Really nicely balanced. Mellow but flavorful. Slightly warming. Medium bodied and nicely carbonated. Really drinkable. Not sure if this seems like a Belgian Strong to me. But regardless of style this is a very nice beer.

4.51/5  rDev +19.6%

Purchased a single at a bottle shop for $3.50. Put in the freezer 15 minutes prior to serving.

Appearance: Very Dark. Light brown head with some lacing.

Smell: Chocolate, alcohol,

Taste: Wow. This one is good. Light Chocolate, some coffee It is like a stout. Nice and malty. I am very impressed. I wasn't expecting something this good. Possibly the best winter Bell's beer.

Mouthfeel - Full bodied, a little carbonation, basically a Stout with a lot of alcohol, but you can't taste the alcohol.

You could throw down a lot of these. At 7.70%, you will only know it when you wake up in the morning.

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a St. Bernardus goblet. Bottled 18 October 2011.

A: Very little head. Pours with a lovely ruby glint to the impenetrably dark brown body. Intimidatingly dark for a Belgian style ale.

S: Lots of dark fruit, zesty yeast, slight nutty/roasted malt. Dry and enticing.

T: Harrumph. Disappointing. Some smoky malts, traces of fruit, bitterish endtaste reminiscent of coffee. It doesn't seem to me to be reminiscent of Belgian Dark Ales. I'd call this one a miss, but I'd be open to reassessment.

M: Mediocre, at best. No substance, little carbonation, and generally boring.

O: The great name, hilarious label, and general excellence of the brewery led me to expect much more. This beer is simply decent. I would not recommend it, and I would rarely buy it ever again. Ah, well, you can't win every one.

11 September 2012 EDIT: Bottled 18 October 2011. This was better than I initially gave it credit for. A & S are spot-on, as is the smoky bitterness in the maintaste. However, there's also a berry fruitiness, caramelized brown sugar (or molasses), and generally positively warming mouthfeel. I won't change my initial rating, but I would definitely drink again (especially if aged).

4.4/5  rDev +16.7%

12oz into a tall goblet

A: Pours very dark brown, nearly pitch black with a finger of tan head that slowly recedes to a ring around the beer. Carbonation seems fairly lively.

S: Mixture of toffee, caramel, and roastiness. Faint hops in the background. Almost like a mixture of a stout and a Belgian Dark Strong ale.

T: Quite complex, but atypical to a Belgian Dark Strong. The dark fruits are there (raisin and plum) with some sweet caramel, but the sweetness is well supported. There is an interesting roastiness that accompanies the beer with a faint smokiness in the background. I really like how these two flavors play off each other. They complement each other very well. Saying the ABV is well hidden is an understatement.

M: Exactly where I'd want it to be. Good carbonation with a fairly thick mouthfeel.

O: This beer is very interesting. I really like how the dark fruit sweetness mixes with the roastiness. It's not complex the way a Chimay Blue or Rochefort 8 is complex. It's also not typical to a Belgian Imperial Stout. It's an interesting American version of a beer with a Belgian yeast strain that is dark and strong. I make this distinction because it is quite different than most beers within the style, but I'm quite fond of the beer.

3.71/5  rDev -1.6%

I picked this up while on vacation in Florida. This was a pretty good pick for a vacation, but not so much for a warm evening.

I poured this into an approximation of a pint glass (really a water glass). This was a very dark black.

I smell caramel, tobacco, and a slight bit of coffee.

The tasted was a little blunted. I got more out of the smell than the tasted. The flavor was like hitting a wall.

The body was very thick as it should be.

Pretty good, but I recommend the Expedition over this.

4.4/5  rDev +16.7%

Pours up dark but still nice and thin. Head subsides fairly quickly. Looks like black water in the glass. Nice spicy taste with adequate carbonation. This beer could use a little something zingy or zesty to accompany all of the flavor. Good brew, Bell's!

2.5/5  rDev -33.7%

Hell Hath No Fury Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.