Hell Hath No Fury Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hell Hath No Fury AleHell Hath No Fury Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: CRJMellor on 11-03-2004)
4.4/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Black. Obsidian. Onyx. A rich and foamy tan head slowly resides into a creamy thin pancake batter, ready to flip. Aromas of roasted coffee, bitter and acidic, that mellow out to cocoa powder, chocolate chip cookies and milk. The flavor boasts complex and varied layers of coffee, cake - coffee cake - chocolate, vanilla, wood, suede, new shoes, new cars, Jonathan's beard, and a holiday that has yet to be declared. The body goes oddly from medium to light to full, and all with a creamy mouth feel that gives way to a thin acidic roasty bite. This is the taste of a bitter old snow beast who harbors a warm soul and a heart of gold.

dedrinker, Oct 19, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

God I am so glad to get these guys back in IL... into the Chimay goblet...

A - Dark body with a finger of tan head that drops down to a ring around the glass after 30 seconds.

S - Leather, lots of chocolate and roasted malt, almost tiramisu-esque. Hops are present, and lend a light grassyness to the beer. Citrus notes (pinnapple?) under it all.

T - Roasty for start to finish. Starts out with caramel, pine, cream, citrus (orange). Lots of hop presence. Long finish with coffee, cream, and some apricot. Reminds me a lot of coffee based deserts.

M - Silky and mid bodied.

D - I really enjoy this style, the very American Belgian dark. This might not be the most complex beer, but everything makes sense, and plays well with each other. Give me this and Nosferatu year around...

SammyDavisJrJrJr, Oct 19, 2008
4.13/5  rDev +9.5%

Pitch black with a dark, mocha head. The head doesn't last too long, falling to only a thin film on top of the beer, a little thicker around the edge of the glass. The nose is very fresh and strong. A bouquet of dark fruits and coffee with a lemon zest tossed in.

The flavor is very good, but a lot heavier than I'd expected. This really feels more like a stout than a strong dark ale. When it first hits your tongue, you get a bitter chocolate taste with a sweeter coffee/cocoa thing. It leaves a lingering dark grape flavor on your lips, touch of figs and tobacco. After each sip, it coats your mouth with a sweet, fruity flavor. The body is fairly heavy, not much carbonation. It's actually very syrupy, coating your mouth with every sip. Surprisingly accessible, very tasty.

dogger6253, Oct 18, 2008
3.55/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

this poured pretty nice into my glass with about one eighth inch of head. the head settled to a film like on the top. smells of rich roasted coffee - cocoa. very dark in color. taste if pretty good. a bit lighter in taste and body than the color suggests - likens to a porter. decent finish. not the best i have had from this wonderful brewer but a good brew nontheless.

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

giblet, Oct 17, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +14.9%

Long necked brown 12oz glass bottle with a pry-off cap. Pink label showing a devil cowering before a housewife.
Dark opaque body with a ruby edge. The head is dark tan with tiny to medium bubbles, good retention and decent lace.
Sweet prune and malty scent, marcipan, nuts and spice.
Dark earthy flavors, chocolate, molasses, dark syrup, overripe fruit, spice and nuts. The aftertaste is sweet and long.
Full body with good coating and lots of residual sugars.
Great drinkability, sweet and mellow, does not get boring.

-Oelergud

oelergud, Oct 16, 2008
3.48/5  rDev -7.7%

12 oz. bottle purchased at Piccolo's Wine Shop for $3.25. Black as night color. Head does not last long. Very little lacing. Smells of coffee, licorice and alcohol. Maybe smoke? Taste has hints of chocolate and coffee. Good mouthfeel. A pleasant brew worth trying.

Auslander, Oct 15, 2008
3.98/5  rDev +5.6%

A- Pours an opaque dark brown/almost black with a dismal tan head that almost immediately fades completely. No light passes through when held up to the light.

S-Deep, rich, roasted chocolate malt, caramel and toffee. Balanced.

T-Flavor upfront is somewhat mild but consists of a dark chocolate flavor with a spicy yeast in the background. Some roasted bitterness comes through for the finish along with notes of caramel and toffee.

M-Medium to high carbonation and medium weight body. It seems like it's not as thick as it should be but its still velvety and smooth.

D- Not sure if this is supposed to be a BSDA, imperial porter, Belgian stout, or Imperial stout; but its good. One of my favorites from this brewery. Picked this up on a whim last week and I am glad I did so.

PittBeerGirl, Oct 14, 2008
3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

Thanks to lightindarkness for the opportunity to try this one, it was a pleasant surprise.

Pours a nearly opaque dark brown/black, with minimal lacing. Taste is loaded with yum, a whole bunch of dark toasty malts, smoky bitter chocolate, and coffee. Pretty drinkable stuff.

torchednoodle, Oct 13, 2008
3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

Picked up this bottle at Chevy Chase Wines and Spirits in DC.
Poured into an English Pint glass.

Appearance: very dark, dark head that dissipated after a few minutes, completely opaque.

Aroma: Malty, Smoked wood

Taste: Flat dark brown ale, smooth, smoky and distant coffee undertones, can't taste the alcohol at all

Mouthfeel: didn't linger too long, had slight malty aftertaste

Drinkability: very pleasant, I would pick up another.

gwobst, Oct 13, 2008

Poured into about a half-pint snifter very dark with a solid light brown head. Smelled of a rich mix of smoked coffee, chocolate, hops. The flavor was strong yet not overpowering. It was a good mix of flavors with the hint of smokiness making for a really good finish. Despite its medium to even heavy body, this was a pretty drinkable brew, although a definite sipper. Another great brew from Bells!

jeremyd365, Oct 12, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a tumbler glass.

Appearance: Black coffee colored body with a cappuccino colored head. Looks yummy.

Smell: Dark roasted malts and licorice.

Taste: Dark, bitter, alcoholic, but not overly intense in any area. Well balanced flavors.

Very drinkable dark ale and overall a fantastic offering from Bell's.

BierFan, Oct 11, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

What is this beer?

Picked it up because I've always liked Bell's, & this is one I haven't seen around MN before. My first impression is of faint coffee, smoke, deep burning malts, etc.

Very odd. I thought the six-pack said this was a dubbel - BA says Belgian Strong Dark - I say it's closer to a tormented Baltic Porter?

Anyways, one of the weirdest, most unique beers I've had in quite some time. My face is scrunching up with each sip trying to figure out just what that next taste is going to hold. I like it though. Glad to have a sixer. Might buy another before it vanishes. Pretty easy to drink for something so dark.

maximum12, Oct 11, 2008
3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

Can't say I've had many Belgian strong dark ales, but I would imaging this is a respectable showing by Bell's.

A: Deep brown, almost completely opaque. Light head that dissipates quickly. Minimal lacing that leaves an even string around the glass when drinking.

S: Unlike anything I've experienced- a mix of wood ash and burnt sugar/caramel. Reminds me of creme brulee.

T&M: The first thing I notice is smokiness. Finishes tart. definite alcohol undertone throughout. The aftertaste is reminiscent of cold-smoked salmon. Fortunately I like cold-smoked salmon.

D: I could see myself enjoying several of these. Goes down easier with no flavor or aroma too overbearing.

Overall I like this brew. A bit of a departure for me considering I mostly like tripels, quads and saisons, but this makes me reconsider. Intriguing.

dino213aa, Oct 10, 2008
4.13/5  rDev +9.5%

A- Pours a black color with nice dark tan head. The head is fluffy and 3 fingers in height in my unibroue tulip. The head has some nice retention and leaves some nice lacing.

S- Some dark chocolate, some earthiness with notes of mushroom, some yeasty notes of light banana and clove, also some sweetbread notes. There is a little smokiness in here to.

T- Starts out with a very dark dry chocolate note and then has some light earthiness and a hint of dark fruit, some light grapefruit/melon notes, then moves to the finish. The finish is dry with dark German chocolate notes and a nice light dry hopiness.

M- Carbonation is low-med. Nice array of notes on the palette

D- I'd say classing this as a belgian strong dark is closer than the bells stating it's a dubbel. This had a lot of neat characteristics. It wasn't worth the $14+ that I had to pay for the sixer, but I enjoyed it.

Greggy, Oct 10, 2008
3.88/5  rDev +2.9%

This pours a very, very dark brown, pretty much black in color. I see it's listed as a Dubbel, but I ain't ever seen no dubbel this dark. Smell is a bit of smoky, roasty malts. Only a hint of the typical belgian yeast characteristic is there. Really difficult to put my finger on this one. You get a lot more of the Dubbel flavors, characteristics in the taste. Mouthfeel is a bit bigger as well. This is entirely different than anything I have ever had, and I kind of like it.
There is a bit of dark fruit, raisin flavors. Also a bit of a cola flavor as well. Decent, full mouthfeel. Decent beer.

FtownThrowDown, Oct 09, 2008
3.85/5  rDev +2.1%

Had on tap last year, but sample from bottle in a tulip glass for review.

A: deep colors, brown and opaque, not as much head as a stout, but pretty thick, and dissipates slowly.

S: A nice smelling ale

T: thick with flavor, and not what I was expecting; it's more like the Bell's stout in the sense that they both have clear coffee notes. A bit sweet.

M: As it's sweet, it's also a bit syrupy, and that's what makes this a somewhat lower grade in my mind, but still good.

D: I'd drink it again as the flavors are nice, but the higher price and ABV would make it a less frequent choice.

luciusgilmer, Oct 08, 2008
3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

The carrier indicates an American Dubbel Dark Ale. It's also labeled 7.5% ABV.

Pours a dark brown that barely lets light pass through with a huge foamy light tan head that fades slowly, leaving significant patterns of Belgian lacing behind. The smell is aggressive, sweet, caramel, malty, chocolate, spicy, earthy and a little smokey. While the nose is spicy, the mouth is a little more creamy, but there is a nice tangy element also. Full flavored, malty, earthy chocolate complemented nicely with a spice and tangy character. A good drinker, the 7.5% ABV is evident at the end of the mouth and in the swallow. I'm disappointed that it's more of a Dubbel and less like a Belgian Strong Dark.

jjayjaye, Oct 06, 2008
3.83/5  rDev +1.6%

A: Very dark brown.. verging on being black. It's pretty much opaque. More of what I'd expect from a stout or a porter. Head is light brown, short, and rather short lived. Intriguing, at least.

S: Burnt toffee, some notes of dark fruit - plum and date. Some coffee notes and a bit of a burnt leafiness.

T: Roasted malts, and a burnt candi sugar which brings out the toffee flavours. Some tobacco box flavours. Not too sweet, with a tiny hint of tartness that comes in and out. Alcohol is noticable towards the finish.

M + D: A medium body, a slightly slick, pretty wet but a little on the heavier side. An interesting beer, and a decent brew all around. I'd get a six-pack or two through the course of the season, though I doubt I could drink much more than a couple at a time.

Proteus93, Oct 05, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +20.2%

Poured into tulip glass

A- Thick dime size head, tinted brown. Amebic lace that hangs

S- Roasted malts without being burned. Very pleasant.

T- The first few sips offer nice roasted malts and slight coffee taste. More malts than hops, which is working very well. Further down the glass, a cola taste starts to make its entrance but the malts still hang and the hops start to come in towards the back. Slight alcohol feel which warms...If you put the beer down for a few minutes, the cycle starts over...nice.

This beer is bordering on a porter.

M- Dryness in the front, mellows in the middle and the carbonation and alcohol hits in the back. Very interesting. Nice medium feel through. Malts stick around in the front, for a while.

D- This is definitely a beer that you could have a few of.

Hell Hath No Fury Ale is the perfect beer to drink on the first day that the temperature dropped down to 52 degrees...welcome to the dark ale season.

Kudos to Bell's Brewery.

TonyT, Oct 03, 2008
3.33/5  rDev -11.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle from batch 8739 into a snifter.

Appears pitch black with only the slightest hints of red highlights when held directly up to my desk light. Half inch tan head sinks down to a thin film rather quickly. Eventually ends up being next to nothing but can be revitalized a bit of a vigorous swirl. Some spotty lacing.

Aroma is very stouty with strong roasted notes up front with subtle cherries, kind of a tobacco like sweetness and dark fruits. Slight alcohol with a strong sniff.

Taste starts out with some coffee and chocolate flavors then it becomes a bit more fruity and again with the tobacco sweetness. Finishes with some roasty notes and a bit of spicy hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium, creamy, crisp bite at the end.

First off there is no way in hell this is a Belgian style ale. It's more like a stout. I just didn't really enjoy this one very much, all styles aside. Not bad, some might enjoy it more, but I just don't dig something about the taste. Probably my least favorite Bell's beer yet.

roadhouse, Sep 30, 2008
3.95/5  rDev +4.8%

Batch 7673, bottled October 2006. Black color, porter-like, minimal light around the edges. Not much head but a nice thin ring graces the top. The aroma is a bit faint, with some light roasty malt and candy sweetness.

Dry roasted malt taste. Perhaps more dry due to the age. It's almost a bit smokey. I certainly don't get much of any Belgian qualities to this beer. It's not real sweet at all, so unfortunately there isn't anything to balance to roasted malt. Fortunately I like my beers more unsweetened so I don't mind that. The mouthfeel is quite nice, moderately thick, smooth, with excellent carbonation.

To me this beer was simple, but tasty. I couldn't really recognize it as a Belgian Strong but perhaps yeast/spice has faded over the 2 years since this thing was bottled. I would like to try a fresh one for comparison...

bennetj17, Aug 14, 2008
4.15/5  rDev +10.1%

A - Appearance is instantly inviting. When you cant see through the glass it is more times than not going to be heavenly.

S - A wiff of dark chocolate, coffee, and maybe roasted grain.

T - The Beer Gods are smiling. Bell's has another fine, fine brew. Taste of lightly sweet roasted chocolate, coffee, and toffee. A bit of an alcohol taste in there somewhere too. But overall a terrific beverage.

M - Full-bodied, creamy.

D - I have recommended this to everyone who likes great beer.I discovered this beer just before they started bottling it. I was told at that time they could only sell it in a growler. I was invited to taste it, I took back a couple of other beers I was going to try, bought a new growler I didn't need, (I was out of town). Picked up a small cooler and ice to store it in on my way home. Upon arriving back in town immediately called two good friends who also appreciate fine brews, and it was unanimous... love at first sip.

Yegg, Jun 17, 2008

Last bottle from six pack purchesed in Fall 2007. Two fingers of head left quickly. Aroma was sweet with some alcohol and roast that sits on top of a good belgian yeast smell. Taste has improved over time since I had the first one. On the edge of being a roasted stout with belgian yeast pitch... a tad bit too much alcohol taste. I am happy to see a midwest craft brewery trying something different. Would definitely pick up another sixer if I came across it again.

petebritton2003, Apr 11, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +11.9%

12 oz bottle

It was not at all what i was expecting. Poured nearly black and was thick and oily coming out of the bottle, almost like a porter or stout. it looked impressive in the glass though, all black and stuff.

Smelled of roasted malt, some earthy hops. It had no "funky yeast flavor" that i would associate with a belgian beer. I had no idea this was classified that way when i was drinking it!

Taste was great. Sweet, malty, earthy hops to balance, some dark fruit, and maybe just a slight licorice on the finish.

It was thick and full, but fuller than i would expect from a BSDA.

I could session this one, i had no idea it was 7.7%. I guess i need to find more of this, no matter what the classification is.

tayner, Feb 14, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +18.6%

Dark Ale? Ha! Black? Black as the Ace of Spades, it were. Black as night. Even the white bits were black.

It poured with a stunningly deep brown head, really thick, and about a finger's worth. The liquid itself was like heavyweight motor oil - really thick, viscous and deep, dark black in color. I ran and got my blankie, stuck my thumb in my mouth and began to cry out for my mommy. After I finally uncurled myself from my fetal-ball status, I found the courage to pick up my glass again. The nose was amazing - obviously yeast-driven with notes of plum, raisin, anise, and chocolate. What hath Hell and Bell wrought? The mouthfeel was thick and full with a taste of licorice on the palate. The finish had a chocolate/licorice taste. Yow! I liked it, but it was too much even for the likes of me.

woodychandler, Jan 20, 2008
Hell Hath No Fury Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.